Nadal almost surely out of Toronto, possibly Cincy too [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal almost surely out of Toronto, possibly Cincy too

Johnny Groove
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Rafael-Nadals-medic-Cotorro-Stop-for-15-days-then-rehabilitation-and-muscle-strengthening-articolo4997.html

From Ruiz Cotorro, Rafa's doctor:

"Rafa is not able to recover from the injury which he suffered in Wimbledon. Despite the great effort made by the player and after all of his treatments, he will not be able to participate in the Olympics. In agreement with the player and his team, from this moment on he will be have 15 days off and then we will set up a program of rehabilitation and muscle strengthening. "

So 15 days off from now would be beginning his rehab on August 4. Almost surely he won't play Toronto, Cincy looks in doubt as well.

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Goddamnit :sad:

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Good for his knees and longevity.

GSMnadal
07-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Great, he has no business playing there. Although it does hurt his preparation for the USO :(

Johnny Groove
07-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Maybe he will get wildcard into Winston-Salem!

Or not, probably needs to just rest until USO.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 02:04 PM
:scared: ^ WTF?!

Chase Visa
07-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Rafa's worst injury?

Ash86
07-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Toni's pretty much said the same - they hope to be in Cincy but haven't got a return date in mind - it'll take as long as it takes. Personally think he'll definitely be in Cincy though - no way will he go into the US Open with that Rosol match being the last competitive match he's played...

Probably better not to play both Masters anyway. Good move longterm.

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 02:06 PM
DANGIT! I wouldn't be able to stand Murray ahead of Rafa in the rankings!

Johnny Groove
07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
If he misses Cincy as well, surely he will play an exho or two before the USO just to get some match practice? Or perhaps just practice sets with Ferrer and Monaco.

shadows
07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
:O

Didn't expect this.

viruzzz
07-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Yesterday I heard in ESPN they said something like "Rafa is out of Toronto, we hope to see him play in Cincy".

They were not optimistic.

BodyServe
07-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Mentally injured, just like after his loss against Soderling.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Now its going to be tough to win/compete for the USO even with no preparations.

viruzzz
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I feel kinda bad for his fans in Toronto and Cincy.
I mean... Damn!

You can say whatever you want, but a tournament without Rafa or Federer isn't the same. Only those two, and you know it.

Ben.
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
The deceit continues.

ZaZoo)
07-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Rafito should prioritize his health and get ready for USO and indoor season.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Nadal's calling God.

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

rafitooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Litotes
07-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Well, no real surprise - we were forewarned about this one.

I wish him a speedy recovery to full health.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Or perhaps just practice sets with Ferrer and Monaco.

Just Enter the main draw and play them in the Quaters then.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Is he going to lose points or what? How much?

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Spot on :yeah:!

:facepalm:

Meaning of sarcasm: A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 02:22 PM
In Toronto? All of 10 points....he lost 1st match last year, to Ivan Dodig.

What about Cinci? The other players like Murray are going to gain from Olympics too.

Muzza might be the new #3???

Just like heaven
07-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Nadal almost surely out of Toronto, possibly Cincy too
:rolleyes:
His uncle said they hope to be in Cincinnati. Who knows, he might come back even earlier. No need to be over-dramatic.

Ash86
07-21-2012, 02:25 PM
He's given his first interview to Spanish TV - says it was the toughest decision of his career; he's very sad but will hope to be in Rio 2016 and have a chance to be a flagbearer then - maybe this is a blessing in disguise - forces him to play longer. :D In seriousness, he seems really sad to me - also needs to sort out the hair - cutting it short is just pointing out the baldness even more! :sad:

yFkH53kzQf4

Fed fordawin
07-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Nadal will fall.

Litotes
07-21-2012, 02:26 PM
What about Cinci? The other players like Murray are going to gain from Olympics too.

Cincy he defends QF points, 180.

IF you look at the race, you see Nadal approximately 3000 points ahead of Murray, who has more to defend the rest of the season, so for Murray to advance in 2012 he will have to do spectacularly well.

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 02:27 PM

If he misses Cinci he'll lose 180 points(lost to Fish in the quarter last year). I don't think Murray will be new #3 because Nadal doesn't have too much to defend until the USO.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Nadal's hair will fall off

Indeed.

Guest12315544
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
What is the injury? Is it the knees again? I don't understand Spanish :sad:

Just like heaven
07-21-2012, 02:36 PM
also needs to sort out the hair - cutting it short is just pointing out the baldness even more!

It's not the length, it's the fact that it's wet.
I'm not sure why he insists with the hair gel. :rolleyes: This is so much better
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/11/article-0-1404566F000005DC-889_634x859.jpg

Ash86
07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
What is the injury? Is it the knees again? I don't understand Spanish :sad:

Yes - it's tendinitis. Nothing new especially - just needs time to heal. Think a slightly different tendon might be affected or something but something that he should make a full recovery from and be able to play well again once the rehab is done...

If I were Nadal I'd lobby Rio to make sure that 2016 is on clay - if it is then his incentive to stay at the top level till then will be so much greater. Even if he can't keep winning on clay like he has, he would certainly still be a big contender even at 30, if it was on clay. Especially considering that we'll have Tomic, Dimitrov, Raonic etc. as the "young guns" in their prime...

swebright
07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I think he should play only limited time/year (only clay and grass). That way, he might get more slams/ time spent + play more years. I think the fearless warrior can beat anybody no matter where he's seeded, no?:devil:

juan27
07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I don`t trust very much in nadal`s injurys......

I mean , he destroyed ferrer and all his opponents in roland garros and one week later or two he is totally injuried??????

this isvery similar to roland garros 2009 for me , his match against rosol maybe hurt his confidence and he is not ready for play yet.

RForever
07-21-2012, 03:01 PM
:scared: ^ WTF?!

Dont worry, he should be ok for WTF ;)

LoveFifteen
07-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh man, this is hard to endure as a fan. Definitely one of the lowest moments in his career. :sobbing:

Roy Emerson
07-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Is there any chance Nadal will be the #4 seed at the USO? What if Murray goes on a tear before the USO?

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
As a fan who looks forward to watch Nadal, this might actually be terrible. :sad:

Federer in 2
07-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Is there any chance Nadal will be the #4 seed at the USO? What if Murray goes on a tear before the USO?

No. the difference right now is about 1500 points. Nadal defends almost nothing (190), while Murray defends a title at Cincy (1000). Andy pretty much has to win Olympics, Toronto and Cincy to be #3.

EliSter
07-21-2012, 03:17 PM

When Nadal retires. Or next year when Olderer fall.

Looner
07-21-2012, 03:17 PM
As a fan who looks forward to watch Nadal lose, this might actually be terrible. :sad:

I agree.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 03:28 PM
what is the difference between 3 and 4 besides a number?

r3d_d3v1l_
07-21-2012, 03:35 PM
In seriousness, he seems really sad to me - also needs to sort out the hair - cutting it short is just pointing out the baldness even more! :sad:

Please tell you´re a chick.

Ash86
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Please tell you´re a chick.

Yes - I am. :p

The :sad: sign was for him looking sad though - not the hair - that's always a disaster. ;)

Litotes
07-21-2012, 03:51 PM
what is the difference between 3 and 4 besides a number?

Not much, really. Same seeding - no Djokovic or Federer until the SF. Still, psychologically it might have an influence. Whether positive or negative I won't say. Federer appeared to shift gears when he fell to 4th last year, so maybe a new stint at 4th would be good for Rafa? Still - this is not on the horizon yet.

juan77
07-21-2012, 03:53 PM
How come he never gets injured or drops out of tournaments in the clay season?

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 04:00 PM

But recheck the 2009 season, Roland Garros in particular....:haha:

juan77
07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
But recheck the 2009 season, Roland Garros in particular....:haha:

The only thing that got injured was his butt from the ass whoopin' Soderling gave him.

Ash86
07-21-2012, 04:04 PM

:stupid: He missed both 2003 and 2004 French Opens due to injury. Then skipped Barcelona in 2010 to protect his knees - had treatment. And usually it is the amount he plays and wins during the clay season that does him in towards the end of the season anyway...

Ash86
07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Rafa Nadal fears the chance to carry Spain's flag at an Olympics opening ceremony may not come around again after being forced to withdraw from the London 2012 tennis event with a knee injury. The 11-times grand slam champion was to be his country's flagbearer at next Friday's opening ceremony but pulled out on Thursday after failing to recover from the knee problems that have dogged him.

The Olympic singles champion now faces a battle to be fit for the forthcoming U.S. hardcourt season culminating at the U.S. Open at Flushing Meadow. Speaking to Reuters Television in a gym on his home island of Mallorca on Saturday, the 26-year-old said it had been a hard decision to withdraw. "I was like scared to take the decision no? It is something that happens. You never know if it happens only one time in life bringing the flag of my country to the Olympics with all the sports family of Spain there," he said.

"All I can say is that I did as much as I could to be there and to be ready but it wasn't the right time. "My emotion and my illusion (dream) to compete in the Olympics was more than ever. "The only thing that I can do is to work hard and try to do the things that will create another opportunity in Rio 2016," added the former world number one.

"When I had to take the decision was the toughest moment. But it was something that I was thinking was going to happen for the last six, seven days because the knee was not improving."

Nadal suffers with tendinitis in his knees -- a condition that forced him to withdraw from Wimbledon in 2009, a year after winning the tournament.
Only in March this year, he was forced to concede his Miami Masters semi-final against Andy Murray. Despite winning a seventh French Open title, Nadal has dropped to three in the world rankings behind Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic and the state of his knees is sure to become a topic of debate as the American swing begins.

"The only thing I can do is to work hard every day as much as I can to try to recover my knee as quick as possible in the tennis calendar," said Nadal, who suffered a shock second-round defeat to Czech Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon last month. "The tournaments never stop so I will try to be ready for the American season but you never know you have to work hard every day and see, go day by day and see how it improves." "I will compete when my knee says I am ready to compete," he added. "I don't want to go on court with bad feeling because then it is terrible. You start, you have to stop, you suffer every day. I will go back to court when my knee is ready."

Spanish basketball player Pau Gasol has been chosen to replace Nadal as the country's flag bearer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nadal-sad-miss-once-lifetime-chance-153806843--ten.html

Rafa is the GOAT
07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
15 days from 3 days ago is till the 2nd of August
Toronto starts on the 6th
Rafa will probably play on the 9th of August
That is enough
He'll play

Johnny Groove
07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Sounds like he may even miss the USO if necessary from that article you posted, Ash86.

Ash86
07-21-2012, 04:15 PM
15 days from 3 days ago is till the 2nd of August
Toronto starts on the 6th
Rafa will probably play on the 9th of August
That is enough
He'll play

Have you read the article above? That's an interview he gave today - he said he'll play when the knee tells him he can. So far it's clearly nowhere near ready for him to get back on a court.

Rafa is the GOAT
07-21-2012, 04:18 PM
No I just did the math of people saying he'll rest for 15 days
I want him to only play when he is 100% healthy, that is what I currently want the most

abraxas21
07-21-2012, 04:19 PM
all BS

nadal will play toronto

Ash86
07-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Sounds like he may even miss the USO if necessary from that article you posted, Ash86.

I agree. He's not been on a tennis court (apart from that practice the other day to see if the Olympics was possible) since Wimbledon - looks like at least another 2 weeks before he can get there. May even be later. Then getting towards match fitness etc. I think the points he's defending may make missing the US Open a very drastic decision (he played it in 2009 after all...) but he now thinks more longterm and if he has to miss it, he'll miss it.

What is more positive though is that he's even contemplating being around for 2016 - last year he was talking about feeling like he's been on tour for "100 years" - now he's pacing himself and has a more longterm perspective. His body may not allow him to play that long but seems like his mind/heart certainly want to try now, which wasn't the case before.

Mountaindewslave
07-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I don`t trust very much in nadal`s injurys......

I mean , he destroyed ferrer and all his opponents in roland garros and one week later or two he is totally injuried??????

this isvery similar to roland garros 2009 for me , his match against rosol maybe hurt his confidence and he is not ready for play yet.

you're being foolish, tendonitis can flare up WHENEVER, it's not like you choose when it does. he had played a ton of matches for what 2 months during clay season and his knees got messed up barely into grass season. it happens.

you don't trust his injury? you think it's a joke missing the Olympics of which he defends? and likely two more masters events? there is no benefit for him to sacrafice such big tournaments, even competing. clearly something is wrong with his body don't by silly

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 05:28 PM
I feel kinda bad for his fans in Toronto and Cincy.
I mean... Damn!

You can say whatever you want, but a tournament without Rafa or Federer isn't the same. Only those two, and you know it.

he wont learn. not much else that can be done.

he has to play and practice more on clay year around if he wants to keep playing.

and plan to lose early at the hard court masters events. yes that does mean tanking.

there is no other solution.

all extra hard court activity needs to be cut asap. no doubles on hard courts and no exos on hard courts.

Honestly
07-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Mentally injured, just like after his loss against Soderling.

You can't help wondering wether this is true. Exact same situation after losing to Soderling. I think this is more mental than physical.

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
For his own benefit and not of anyone else's, he'd be best letting hard courts take a back seat and not exert himself especially on the slower HCs. If he wanted to win more slams then the RG/Wimbledon season would be the one to really bust a gut for. This is if he wants longevity of course.

fsoica
07-21-2012, 05:40 PM
he has to play and practice more on clay year around if he wants to keep playing.

Would you care to explain a bit about the dynamics of the knees movement on clay, compared with HC or grass? Why do you think moving a lot on clay does him good, since clay tennis is always a very long and demanding sport? What is it about the clay that makes the difference, tendinitis-wise? Apart from the sliding is there any other big difference?

I think an in-form aggressive Rafa is a joy to watch on a HC, and, if I remember correctly, his 2010 USOpen serve came out of nowhere? Why not to favor that kind of approach?

Johnny Groove
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Nadal just needs to serve and volley on hard courts. Yeah he'll take some losses, but it'll be good for his game and longevity in the long run.

MuzzahLovah
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Andy has had too shitty of a clay season to capitalize on this before the USO, but I don't think he needs the added pressure of being ranked above any of the top 3 going into the Olympics or the USO. If he wins the big titles, the rankings will follow suit. Nadal is defending a final at the USO and Murray a semi.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 06:00 PM

If he does miss the USO, he'll certainly slip to 4 by the tail end of the year.

Honestly
07-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Nadal just needs to serve and volley on hard courts. Yeah he'll take some losses, but it'll be good for his game and longevity in the long run.

Not sure of serious. He will take a lot of losses.

Allez
07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I can't see Rafa missing the USO. Not happening. I just hope he does play at least ONE tune up. Cincy most likely.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 06:17 PM

Nadal's psychologically not fit to take risk on initiative. He's an investor when he comes to the net. He wins most of his points there because he comes forward at no risk situations. that's why is net play is nearly 9/10 most of the times, statwise. He can't change his basic mentality and become Llodra overnight, can he?

Needless to say, his serve isn't his greatest asset either.

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Would you care to explain a bit about the dynamics of the knees movement on clay, compared with HC or grass? Why do you think moving a lot on clay does him good, since clay tennis is always a very long and demanding sport? What is it about the clay that makes the difference, tendinitis-wise? Apart from the sliding is there any other big difference?

I think an in-form aggressive Rafa is a joy to watch on a HC, and, if I remember correctly, his 2010 USOpen serve came out of nowhere? Why not to favor that kind of approach?

Clay is softer on the body and easier to bend on than a hard court. IW and Miami saw some absolutely horrific scenes of guys sliding everywhere on the slowest hard courts on the planet. If that's not injury-inflicting I don't know what is.

mystic ice cube
07-21-2012, 06:22 PM

and plan to lose early at the hard court masters events. yes that does mean tanking.

there is no other solution.
Oh come on. And what happens to his ranking then? Bad for confidence, worse for morale. Besides everything else, do you really think a player would not play a tournament in the first place if they didn't feel they were healthy enough to play in it? Also, I'm sure Rafa of all people would not go into a tournament and say "hmm, might just lose this one here USO is around the corner". C'mon man.

Ash86
07-21-2012, 06:26 PM
I can't see Rafa missing the USO. Not happening. I just hope he does play at least ONE tune up. Cincy most likely.

I agree. The US Open is more than 5 weeks away. Rafa's already had over 3 weeks since Wimbledon - don't think he can need more than a 2 month break to get over this injury. I think he'll be in Cincy. He had the problem in Wimby (and according to the NYTimes article two days ago even in RG he was having ice treatment before & after matches & practice) - yet though not as good as he can be he was hardly atrocious. Still a lot of tennis to be played this year and I think he'll be there to play it.

1200 points to defend at the Open after all...

Litotes
07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
If he does miss the USO, he'll certainly slip to 4 by the tail end of the year.

You sure? In the race he has got 6795 points. Murray has 7460 the last 12 months. If Murray defends everything from last year without improving, Nadal will only need 670 points to stay ahead. Doen't sound impossible even without US Open.

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Even if he didn't make the business end of USOs and AOs it's not the end of the world for Rafatards and normal Nadal fans if he's going to keep saving his tank for RG and Wimbledon.

madmax
07-21-2012, 06:31 PM
NID...once dirt season is over, Nadull effectively shuts down his season too. Monte Carlo can never arrive soon enough for moonballing cheat

samanosuke
07-21-2012, 06:35 PM
fuck the summer of '69 . this is the best summer

hipolymer
07-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Rafito should prioritize his health and get ready for USO and indoor season.

Rafito should prioritize his health and skip all tournaments in the year until Monte Carlo comes up.

Whiznot
07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
DANGIT! I wouldn't be able to stand Murray ahead of Rafa in the rankings!

How would you feel about Murray, Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych all being ahead of Nadal?:wavey:

HKz
07-21-2012, 06:51 PM
I really don't see how Rafa will make even the 2nd week of the US Open now. He is a player that needs match practice and lots of it. Practice matches can only go so far :shrug: wish him a speedy recovery, but I thought either way, missing Canada would be detrimental. Cincinnati was not going to be a good tournament to come back for either way.

deyaT87
07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
poor Rafa :sad:
I'm not his fan but this is so sad
I didn't think that the injury is so bad

PiggyGotRoasted
07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Just enough time to cycle then

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 07:14 PM
You can't help wondering wether this is true. Exact same situation after losing to Soderling. I think this is more mental than physical.

Wow. Just wow.

Whiznot
07-21-2012, 07:15 PM
No matter whether the injury is to the knee or the ego, I wish Rafa a quick recovery. Although I dislike Nadal my favored outcomes in order of preference are 1) Nadal competes and loses 2) Nadal competes and wins 3) Nadal stays home and licks wounds.

Jovard
07-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Retire :bigwave:

ssj100
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM

Completely agree. He's the type that will take losses like that badly.

Vyomsky
07-21-2012, 07:30 PM
And the melodrama continues....so many players have injuries, are sidelined for years. But anytime humble Rafito loses in a slam where he "should not have lost" a long and tearful soap opera begins leaving his fans and haters guessing where the whole show is headed. Before long, clay season begins and the natural order of winning is reset.

juan77
07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
And the melodrama continues....so many players have injuries, are sidelined for years. But anytime humble Rafito loses in a slam where he "should not have lost" a long and tearful soap opera begins leaving his fans and haters guessing where the whole show is headed. Before long, clay season begins and the natural order of winning is reset.

+1. I used to be believe in his "injuries" for the first few years of his career. When Soap Opera Part I unfolded after the RG loss in 2009 I realized that Nadull uses injuries as an excuse.

henke007
07-21-2012, 08:12 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/35ip0zr.gif

Corey Feldman
07-21-2012, 08:22 PM
some year for Toronto

they will be lucky to get any top5 there

can see Haas winning it

NID
07-21-2012, 09:54 PM
I watched Federer struggling with injury, taking a medical and winning the whole tournament. Nadal to me looked fine, moving well and going down to a guy who basically murdered every ball. Truly surprised to hear that he was injured. Injured Federer and Nole would have gotten bageled by Rosol on the day.

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I watched Federer struggling with injury, taking a medical and winning the whole tournament. Nadal to me looked fine, moving well and going down to a guy who basically murdered every ball. Truly surprised to hear that he was injured. Injured Federer and Nole would have gotten bageled by Rosol on the day.

At the end of the day though it was Nadal who got beaten and embarrassed by Rosol and not Nole or Fed.
No need to speculate on what would've happened if it wasn't Nadal but Fed or Djo (IMO this would not have happened to Fed or Djo...in my humble opinion). But I'm speculating too so sorry for that.

Looner
07-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Yup, to both.

superslam77
07-21-2012, 10:07 PM
dr.cotorro!!! :eek:

grepman
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I really don't see how Rafa will make even the 2nd week of the US Open now. He is a player that needs match practice and lots of it. Practice matches can only go so far :shrug: wish him a speedy recovery, but I thought either way, missing Canada would be detrimental. Cincinnati was not going to be a good tournament to come back for either way.

I quite agree. I do think he will be back by Cincinnati timeframe, which is about 3-4 weeks from now and he will need some match practice going into USO. My guess will be a weak USO but he will be back rest of the year at his "Normal" level. I don't remember him doing very well during the indoor season anyways.

No a side note - My distant observation has been that Rafa is a complex individual. He is a superlative tennis player and mentally very strong on the court but ironically a confidence player.With his weaker knee, he doesn't like to come to play when he is not supremely confident of winning.

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 10:46 PM
How would you feel about Murray, Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych all being ahead of Nadal?:wavey:

"No bueno" as Rafa would say ;)

nobama
07-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Yup, to both.

His knees will become healthy again come Monte Carlo. :D

Backhand_Maestro
07-22-2012, 12:19 AM
http://www.abload.de/img/nadal-facepalm_o_gifsogjmt.gif

Lugburz
07-22-2012, 12:21 AM

That, switch to 1HBH and he just might end up in my sig :p

Looner
07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
His knees will become healthy again come Monte Carlo. :D

That is if he doesn't win the USO again by some Sampras-like serve miracle :rolleyes:.

habibko
07-22-2012, 12:51 AM
:haha:

I mean can this season get any better? :D

Honestly
07-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Nadal is falling.

maskedmuffin
07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=17045

March 2012

"“Seriously the tendons are much better today than three years ago,” Nadal told reporters. “The treatments worked fantastic. Even if today a really bad knee and last couple of days were tough for me, but positive thing the tendon improve a lot the last couple of years. I am more health with both tendons than now. So the treatments are working well. In 2009 I compete in very bad conditions a lot of times. For the last couple of years, 2010, 2011, I was able to compete with perfect conditions for almost all the year. So that's always fantastic when that's happening...I try my best in every moment with pain, without pain, but when I see the situation is done and I cannot, I cannot."
"

.................................................. ...........................

leng jai
07-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Same routine after every bad GS loss. Seems legit, no? Easy to see why suspicions are raised.

Honestly
07-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Same routine after every bad GS loss. Seems legit, no? Easy to see why suspicions are raised.

Bruised ego it is General leng jai.

mickymouse
07-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Injury prone and yet for 8 years, he's perfectly fine when the clay season rolls around. His knees know when to break down and when not to, no?

mseles1
07-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Injury prone and yet for 8 years, he's perfectly fine when the clay season rolls around. His knees know when to break down and when not to, no?

Covered #50.

Asadinator
07-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Watch him play OG now and win it.

victory1
07-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Covered #50.

Yeah, but in 2003 & 2004 he was not dominating clay, so valid question. He plays every clay tournament in sight and get to 99.999% of the finals but never hurt during the clay season.:confused:

evilmindbulgaria
07-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Yeah, but in 2003 & 2004 he was not dominating clay, so valid question. He plays every clay tournament in sight and get to 99.999% of the finals but never hurt during the clay season.:confused:

Very simple explanation, actually. What do you think has a bigger chance of happening - Rafa getting injured during the claycourt season, with the surface being much easier on the knees, after he has played about 25 matches on average up to that point, or Rafa getting injured after the claycourt season at which time he has completed 50 matches on average?

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 02:10 AM
Well, here always is the same. Same clowns, same shit.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 02:26 AM

Yeah, same routine. Rafa is injured and Rogelio can finally win a Slam. For this reason his tards pray to see Rafa injured. But no problem, Rafa will be fine for USO and as always Roger would play in the other half of the draw waiting to see what Rafa does. If he made the final of course Roger will lost his semifinal, and we can return to the old comforting routine.

v-money
07-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Still unbeaten when not injured then. What a lucky man he is to avoid those injuries during the clay court season.

MTwEeZi
07-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Still unbeaten when not injured then. What a lucky man he is to avoid those injuries during the clay court season.

He was injured in 07 RG

v-money
07-22-2012, 02:34 AM
He was injured in 07 RG

I apologize for my mistake. in that case...what a warrior to fight through all of these injuries during the clay court season.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 02:36 AM

He was defeated in Wimbledon 2011, USO 2011 and AO 2012 in a row against the same player. I don't remenber any injury.

rocketassist
07-22-2012, 02:37 AM
He was defeated in Wimbledon 2011, USO 2011 and AO 2012 in a row against the same player. I don't remenber any injury.

That's Djokovic. Because of this Sparta shit, it makes any loss to Nole legit and any 'non-Spartan' beating him must be cause of the injury.

MTwEeZi
07-22-2012, 02:38 AM
I apologize for my mistake. in that case...what a warrior to fight through all of these injuries during the clay court season.

he is almost always injured, like Monfils

v-money
07-22-2012, 02:41 AM

But I hear that tendinitis can flare up at any time. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here and humble Nadal just didn't tell the media.

v-money
07-22-2012, 02:48 AM
So he'll miss some tournament that he wasn't going to win and then will try to fluke out another USO. Better yet, it will cover his ass from a defeat that may have been one of the biggest upsets in tennis history.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 02:50 AM
That's Djokovic. Because of this Sparta shit, it makes any loss to Nole legit and any 'non-Spartan' beating him must be cause of the injury.

In addition to Djkovic, we have Ferrer (USO'07), WB'07 (Federer), AO'08 (Tsonga), USO'08 (Murray ), USO'09 (Del Potro)... Has he injured too?

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 02:51 AM
Yeah, same routine. Rafa is injured and Rogelio can finally win a Slam. For this reason his tards pray to see Rafa injured. But no problem, Rafa will be fine for USO and as always Roger would play in the other half of the draw waiting to see what Rafa do. If he made the final of course Roger will lost his semifinal, and we can return to the old comforting routine.

yes, that's why federer has lost 4 or 5 RG finals to nadal. :stupid:

enjoy the olympics

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 02:53 AM
yes, that's why federer has lost 4 or 5 RG finals to nadal. :stupid:

enjoy the olympics

It is a process; first were the continuous beatings and then came the terror.

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 02:56 AM
It is a process. Fist are the continuous: first was the continuous beatings and then came the terror.

and when did this "process" end exactly? need i remind yo that fraudurer lost to nadal his last RG final last year or that he lost to him again in the AO SF this year? if he's so terrorized of rafito, as you put it, to the point of tanking GS matches in earlier rounds to avoid him but neither past or recent history shows that. i recommend you to stop posting. at this point you're just embarrassing yourself.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Nadal's psychologically not fit to take risk on initiative. He's an investor when he comes to the net. He wins most of his points there because he comes forward at no risk situations. that's why is net play is nearly 9/10 most of the times, statwise. He can't change his basic mentality and become Llodra overnight, can he?

Needless to say, his serve isn't his greatest asset either.

You are correct that he probably isn't mentally able to make this change, but I have always thought that Nadal would do just fine as a pure-bred serve and volleyer. He moves so well and is so good with his volleys that I think he could actually do reasonably well.

Fedex
07-22-2012, 03:07 AM
You are correct that he probably isn't mentally able to make this change, but I have always thought that Nadal would do just fine as a pure-bred serve and volleyer. He moves so well and is so good with his volleys that I think he could actually do reasonably well.

I don't think I've seen Nadal hit a volley that wasn't a put-away or a drop shot. Nadal could not win serve and volleying. He could not win a grand slam final coming to the net 68 times (like Federer did).

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 03:10 AM
and when did this "process" end exactly? need i remind yo that fraudurer lost to nadal his last RG final last year or that he lost to him again in the AO SF this year? if he's so terrorized of rafito, as you put it, to the point of tanking GS matches in earlier rounds to avoid him but neither past or recent history shows that. i recommend you to stop posting. at this point you're just embarrassing yourself.

Roger doesn't fear to lost against Rafa in Roland Garros. He has assumed that Rafa is the best there. IN AO11 there were several atypical circumstances. First one is Roger for the first time in his career feared more Nole than Rafa. Second is he gained some confindence against Rafa after MTF and some minor victories more. Third is as the good scammers you must to lost a game here and there even if you have marked cards if you don't want that the scam be too obvious.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 03:14 AM

Surely you're joking?

You think he ditched out on the Olympics because he lost to Rosol at Wimby? You act like he has the mental makeup of an 8th grade girl or something. He's been on the tour since 2003 and had many tough losses and bounced back from those losses. To think that a loss at Wimby is going to send him to the psychiatric ward or something is silly.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 03:16 AM
I don't think I've seen Nadal hit a volley that wasn't a put-away or a drop shot. Nadal could not win serve and volleying. He could not win a grand slam final coming to the net 68 times (like Federer did).

I have seen him hit volleys that weren't put aways or drop shots. Perhaps you should watch more tennis.

Mcenroe has stated a thousand times that he thinks Nadal is the best volleyer out of anybody in the top ten. I wonder why he says that?

Smoke944
07-22-2012, 03:30 AM
I have seen him hit volleys that weren't put aways or drop shots. Perhaps you should watch more tennis.

Mcenroe has stated a thousand times that he thinks Nadal is the best volleyer out of anybody in the top ten. I wonder why he says that?

Because he is an even bigger Nadal fanboy than any of the loonies on this site.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Because he is an even bigger Nadal fanboy than any of the loonies on this site.

He is equally a Federer fanboy. And Federer is also in the top ten.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 03:33 AM
^ Forehand volley is very good, specially overhead & dropshot volley. 'Punch' volleys aren't so great, I think because his particular grip. Backhand volley is solid at best, specially overhead backhand. Smashing Rafa is one of the best on tour. His aproaching on the net should be better.

chenx15
07-22-2012, 04:04 AM
somebody made an excellent post before about why rafa needs rest? he was eliminated early on halle and wimbledon. and there was a gap from roland garros during that time. anyway, i wish him a speedy recovery but this shenanigans are starting to wear thin. but who am i right?

rickcastle
07-22-2012, 04:09 AM
somebody made an excellent post before about why rafa needs rest? he was eliminated early on halle and wimbledon. and there was a gap from roland garros during that time. anyway, i wish him a speedy recovery but this shenanigans are starting to wear thin. but who am i right?

Exactly, no player who has been realistically injured as much as Nadal has said he had been can continue to play at the highest level of the sport the way he does. the way I see it, a lot of Nadal's injuries are psychological especially since they usually come right after a tough loss. He has expressed before the desire to continue to enjoy his life and body after tennis and yet he continues to put himself through injections to continue to keep playing and continue ruining his knees. with all the money he has, i'm not sure how it's all still worth it.

chenx15
07-22-2012, 04:11 AM

maybe nole but not fed. Fed has too much variety for rosol. once fed slows the game and starts slicing and rosol needing to kneel down to get to those slice, he won't get into the groove

Just like heaven
07-22-2012, 06:25 AM

He was serving just as well against Rosol. I think he hit 19 aces? That's the only reason the match lasted 5 sets. Without the big serve he probably would have lost in straight sets.

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 06:39 AM
he needed 2 MRI`s and injections in london.

diagnosis was not good. the knee had taken a turn for the worse.

he still would have beaten rosol if he had put in some preparation the day previous. i think he let it all go after realizing that going for the title was probably not going to be possible.

so he just partied and celebrated spain`s win in euro 2012 the night before and he partied all day before the game.

his fighting spirit, once on the court, urged him to fight on a little longer.

Ash86
07-22-2012, 06:47 AM
This TV report apparently shows the practice session where he made the decision:

UIjp1D4KM34

This local TV report has an interview with the manager of his local tennis club - http://ib3tv.com/20120720_184834-rafel-nadal-no-participara-als-jocs-olimpics.html - said he practiced for 4/5 minutes and then stopped immediately - was devastated and seemed like he was about to cry there on court. Definitely looks like the hardest decision he's taken. And clearly if a few minutes practice was enough to tell him there's no chance, the likelihood of Canada seems slim to none, and Cincy too doubtful right now..

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 07:05 AM
he has nobody to blame but himself.

he is paying the price for his ignorance and his stupidity. i doubt there will be many left to feel sorry for him since he will not change his training and his scheduling.

all this shit could have been prevented if he had started making some changes 4 years ago and there would be no such thing as fucked up knees for him.

now he has badly fucked up knees. one just happens to be a lot worse than the other.

there is still some time left but he has to get off those fucking hard courts.

this idiot had an indoor hard court built for him in mallorca so he can practice year around there.

well he deserves what he got. i dont think i have ever seen anybody this ignorant in this sport.

nole practice year around on clay. his knees are safe and he is a terror on all surfaces because of that.

Honestly
07-22-2012, 07:32 AM

he is paying the price for his ignorance and his stupidity. i doubt there will be many left to feel sorry for him since he will not change his training and his scheduling.

all this shit could have been prevented if he had started making some changes 4 years ago and there would be no such thing as fucked up knees for him.

now he has badly fucked up knees. one just happens to be a lot worse than the other.

this idiot had an indoor hard court built for him in mallorca so he can practice year around there.

well he deserves what he got. i dont think i have ever seen anybody this ignorant in this sport.

nole practice year around on clay. his knees are safe and he is a terror on all surfaces because of that.

:awww:

ssj100
07-22-2012, 07:43 AM

Nole should practise more on blue clay. But not sure if he is refreshed enough to do so.

manadrainer
07-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, same routine. Rafa is injured and Rogelio can finally win a Slam. For this reason his tards pray to see Rafa injured. But no problem, Rafa will be fine for USO and as always Roger would play in the other half of the draw waiting to see what Rafa does. If he made the final of course Roger will lost his semifinal, and we can return to the old comforting routine.

Yeah like he did in the French open semis against Nole in 2011, or in the quarters this year in Australia against delpo. Oh wait...

It's not Fed the one who is afraid of facing his rivals on their best surfaces, as 14 meetings on clay suggest.

Allez
07-22-2012, 08:19 AM
This TV report apparently shows the practice session where he made the decision:

UIjp1D4KM34

This local TV report has an interview with the manager of his local tennis club - http://ib3tv.com/20120720_184834-rafel-nadal-no-participara-als-jocs-olimpics.html - said he practiced for 4/5 minutes and then stopped immediately - was devastated and seemed like he was about to cry there on court. Definitely looks like the hardest decision he's taken. And clearly if a few minutes practice was enough to tell him there's no chance, the likelihood of Canada seems slim to none, and Cincy too doubtful right now..

Haterz are going to claim this is all staged :facepalm: I don't think Cincy is doubtful unless he's not playing the USO which I just don't see happening. If he is playing the USO Cincy is a must. It's the least he will have to do to get into shape for the Open.

Fed fordawin
07-22-2012, 10:00 AM
he needed 2 MRI`s and injections in london.

diagnosis was not good. the knee had taken a turn for the worse.

he still would have beaten rosol if he had put in some preparation the day previous. i think he let it all go after realizing that going for the title was probably not going to be possible.

so he just partied and celebrated spain`s win in euro 2012 the night before and he partied all day before the game.

his fighting spirit, once on the court, urged him to fight on a little longer.

His match against Rosol happened exactly during the euro final, so I doubt he was celebrating Spain's victory. Stop the excuses, he was running like a rabbit just as usual.

nobama
07-22-2012, 10:41 AM
That is if he doesn't win the USO again by some Sampras-like serve miracle :rolleyes:.

That too. No doubt he'll be just fine for the USO and the EPSN clowns will once again marvel at what a Spartan he is. :worship:

_Chaz
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
His match against Rosol happened exactly during the euro final, so I doubt he was celebrating Spain's victory.

Just to clarify this issue: No, the Rosol match was during the Germany - Italy semi at the Euro. Spain played Portugal the night before.

Fed fordawin
07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Just to clarify this issue: No, the Rosol match was during the Germany - Italy semi at the Euro. Spain played Portugal the night before.

oh yes you're right. Still, Spain hadn't won the euro yet.

Ash86
07-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Not that it's relevant but CD obviously thinks that staying up to watch Spain win the night before harmed Nadal (silly argument as he's always watched their matches before and it hasn't affected him). He posted a photo of himself celebrating the win so obviously he'd been following the match - then again it was hardly late - 11 pm or something - so not a factor in the Rosol loss!

_Chaz
07-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Yeah, and even if so, that's a pretty shit argument if you ask me :shrug:

Fed fordawin
07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah, and even if so, that's a pretty shit argument if you ask me :shrug:

Anything to confort the "healthy/ motivated/ non tired/ familly problems-free/ non-engaged in fervent patriotic support of spanish sportsmen Nadal never loses" legend :p:p

fsoica
07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Federer said some years ago in an interview that he usually does not go to sleep until 2 am...and that was before becoming a father...so let's cut the shit out....ok...I admit...this was a tardish reply :)

Ash86
07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Federer said some years ago in an interview that he usually does not go to sleep until 2 am...and that was before becoming a father...so let's cut the shit out....ok...I admit...this was a tardish reply :)

No one is seriously suggesting Nadal lost because he watched football. Rosol's bombs might have had more to do with it!

Johnny Groove
07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I recall reading somewhere that Federer sleeps like 10-12 hours a day.

Maybe Rafa should try that.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 01:53 PM
No one is seriously suggesting Nadal lost because he watched football. Rosol's bombs might have had more to do with it!

In order to a player like Rosol beats a top 3 he has to play his best tennis and the top 3 has to play poorly. Both conditions ocurred in this match. Rosol played a unbelievable fith seth and Nadal, except his serve, played under his standards.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 01:59 PM

But Rafa is the party animal who gets pissed and pussy before vital R2 matches at Wimbledon - he could never do this.

Johnny Groove
07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
But Rafa is the party animal who gets pissed and pussy before vital R2 matches at Wimbledon - he could never do this.

Well I guess this is why one guy has 11 and the other has 17 :shrug:

Corey Feldman
07-22-2012, 02:04 PM

think that was Sampras

and he needed air con for every room he slept in

tennizen
07-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Chin up, old sport. Uncle Toni reports that this is a new injury sustained at Wimbledon and not his usual knee problems which continue to be taken care of with the greatest possible attention.

r3d_d3v1l_
07-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Haterz are going to claim this is all staged :facepalm: I don't think Cincy is doubtful unless he's not playing the USO which I just don't see happening. If he is playing the USO Cincy is a must. It's the least he will have to do to get into shape for the Open.

It´s funny that you say that, because in 2009 the same thing happened. Nadal played an practice session (and a match) with Hewitt and i remember that everyone was questioning how awful his movement was (like the reporter says in the video), his knees were not good, etc... Then came the divorce BS.

Too many coincidences for my taste.

Good post. You live by the sword and you die by the sword.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
think that was Sampras

and he needed air con for every room he slept in

he also needed 12 hours because it wasn't just him but his oversized ego that needed rest. That's what you get when you are King of Serve Bots. What a mug.

Sham Kay
07-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Hopefully he's out for long enough for Ferrer to leapfrog him. Deserves Spanish number 1 for a while.

Then we can welcome him back with open arms.

castle007
07-22-2012, 03:43 PM
One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Nadal seems to always pick up these injuries after the Clay season end. Isn't the clay supposed to be the easiest surface on his body and knees? Most people say that Nadal picks up all these injuries from playing on hardcourts (He withdrew from his last match against Murray) But he looked fine to me during the clay season. The guy picked up 4 clay titles, including winning a 7th FO, and he lost 2 sets in 5 tournaments. He didn't seem to be carrying any injuries from the HC season. :confused: He was playing better than ever. Then all of the sudden we hear the he got injections after the clay season ended, and had two early losses in the grass season.

I am not trying to play down his injury.. obviously there is something wrong. I am just trying to figure out when the heck did he aggravate his knees? :confused:

Looner
07-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I think I've read that Fed has always had issues with switching from clay to grass. You know this year he had the problem with the back which is similar to what he experienced in 2003 when he also won Wimbledon.

Apart from the physical aspect of the Channel Slam, the two surfaces (in terms of movement) are so different that may throw you off and cause niggles in the body. It seems like even the invincible and always-healthy Federer is subject to that, so the Spartan warrior who always fights injured that is Nadal should be expected to have the same problems :shrug:.

Ash86
07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Nadal seems to always pick up these injuries after the Clay season end. Isn't the clay supposed to be the easiest surface on his body and knees? Most people say that Nadal picks up all these injuries from playing on hardcourts (He withdrew from his last match against Murray) But he looked fine to me during the clay season. The guy picked up 4 clay titles, including winning a 7th FO, and he lost 2 sets in 5 tournaments. He didn't seem to be carrying any injuries from the HC season. :confused: He was playing better than ever. Then all of the sudden we hear the he got injections after the clay season ended, and had two early losses in the grass season.

I am not trying to play down his injury.. obviously there is something wrong. I am just trying to figure out when the heck did he aggravate his knees? :confused:

He wins more in a shorter period of time than anyone else during the clay season. Whether he's dropping sets or not it's not like he wins matches really fast - and it's on clay anyway. That's a lot of matches in a short period of time. He was feeling the knee towards the end of the clay season (apparently more ice treatments etc. in RG) but it was obviously by Halle/Wimbledon that it was worse. The grass leads to very different kinds of movements - bending the knees more, slipping etc. Fell down in Halle a few times and in Wimbledon - all that won't help the tendinitis that would already have been flaring. His problem is chronic - it will always come back. He just needs to have more rest built into his schedule going forward.

He's not had one year without knee problems - last year they were towards the end of the year - injections in the Davis Cup SFs and Fs. In 2010 he had them at the start - in Australia and IW. In 2009 around RG of course. In 2008 at the end of the year again. It'll all about how much he can still get out of those knees...

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Somebody pay you for repeat the same BS again and again?

Rafa has had 4 injuries in the last 6 years. One of them was in RG, other in USO, other in AO an last was in WB. I guess Rafa have to ask permission to Fedtards about when is a good moment to have a injury, hasn't him?

Well, he has a problem in his knees caused by a overload of tennis, so you think that it's logical he has this injury at the beginning of the season, riiiight??? or at the end, when his schedule is better and he falls before in the tournaments, I guess :stupid:

castle007
07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
He wins more in a shorter period of time than anyone else during the clay season. Whether he's dropping sets or not it's not like he wins matches really fast - and it's on clay anyway. That's a lot of matches in a short period of time. He was feeling the knee towards the end of the clay season (apparently more ice treatments etc. in RG) but it was obviously by Halle/Wimbledon that it was worse. The grass leads to very different kinds of movements - bending the knees more, slipping etc. Fell down in Halle a few times and in Wimbledon - all that won't help the tendinitis that would already have been flaring. His problem is chronic - it will always come back. He just needs to have more rest built into his schedule going forward.

He's not had one year without knee problems - last year they were towards the end of the year - injections in the Davis Cup SFs and Fs. In 2010 he had them at the start - in Australia and IW. In 2009 around RG of course. In 2008 at the end of the year again. It'll all about how much he can still get out of those knees...

That makes sense, thanks.

nobama
07-22-2012, 04:13 PM

I doubt he does now. Maybe he did before he had kids.

jackjill888
07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
RIP Rafael Nadal :spit:

Mateya
07-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Is this the beginning of the end?

People were talking for years about his style of tennis taking a toll on his body. Are we slowly getting there? :confused:

Corey Feldman
07-22-2012, 07:09 PM
its all knee jerk reaction

he overplayed on clay and is paying for it, he shoulda known better after that 6 hour AO final that he needed to take it easier during the next 5 months, he did not learn lessons from 2009

soon as he feels right again he'll surely think better about his future schedules for once

i bet he'll still go close at US Open

Allez
07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
lol :facepalm:

acionescu
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM

he overplayed on clay and is paying for it, he shoulda known better after that 6 hour AO final that he needed to take it easier during the next 5 months, he did not learn lessons from 2009

soon as he feels right again he'll surely think better about his future schedules for once

i bet he'll still go close at US Open

If he didn't your beloved hero wouldn't be #1 today :smash:

Corey Feldman
07-22-2012, 07:45 PM
If he didn't your beloved hero wouldn't be #1 today :smash:
Not really, it was Barca and Madrid he had to miss :p

acionescu
07-22-2012, 08:56 PM
nadal will miss Barca when Fed will miss Basel :ras:

And the year I will go again there to see him, I suppose :bigcry: :bigcry:

And it's not like he stayed around Madrid too much, did he? :tape:

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 09:14 PM
overall, must admit that i enjoy seeing nadal losing so i hope he comes back quickly.

i do think this whole injury thing is a big exaggeration, though. i think he'll come back fine in toronto

swisht4u
07-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I hope he'll be fine and ready to go.

Having Nadal in the field is very important, seeing this kind of competition with the players we have now is very special, losing sight of that is easy to do.

mseles1
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Looks like Toronto's out -
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Toni-Nadal-portrayed-It-is-not-the-last-Olympics-for-Rafael-Nadal-He-will-compete-in-Rio-2016--articolo5024.html

Honestly
07-22-2012, 10:44 PM

I think Nadal's year is pretty much over. Deserves it after playing all those clay events. Not being rude, just realistic. Time and time again he schedules like a moron. He didn't need to play 4 clay events before the FO, especially after the brutal AO final. He goes on to lose 2nd round of Wimby because of it and now he's out of the Olympics. He will never learn. He is just too greedy for money and fame. The US hard court season and indoor seasons is probably his least favorite part of the year and his confidence isn't exactly sky high at this point. He isn't winning another event this year.

Looner
07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Same old, same old. Toni saying now he'll play Rio :haha:. Watch Nadal compete until 2020.

chenx15
07-22-2012, 10:51 PM

this guy will not quit as of yet. the target is to beat roger in slam count. i still see him winning 4 roland garros

Johnny Groove
07-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Rafa needs to just use Cincy and USO as warmups and focus his energy on the WTF, since he's never won it.

Above all, stay healthy, gotta stay healthy.

paseo
07-23-2012, 12:17 AM

Then maybe he should drop a few clay tournaments.

Corey Feldman
07-23-2012, 01:09 AM
dedicated to RFK

OzcneDLmFvQ

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 01:22 AM

Yup, Pete Sampras too.

Interestingly, Lebron James as well.

guga2120
07-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Considering what he has been doing on his knees, It really does seem like his days are numbered. It's not something that just goes away, especially on concrete.

Edda
07-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Rafa's hurt, Juan Carlos is considering retirement, Kim Clijsters has already retired. My days of watching tennis may soon be numbered, too.

jackjill888
07-23-2012, 01:51 AM
I think Nadal's year is pretty much over. Deserves it after playing all those clay events. Not being rude, just realistic. Time and time again he schedules like a moron. He didn't need to play 4 clay events before the FO, especially after the brutal AO final. He goes on to lose 2nd round of Wimby because of it and now he's out of the Olympics. He will never learn. He is just too greedy for money and fame. The US hard court season and indoor seasons is probably his least favorite part of the year and his confidence isn't exactly sky high at this point. He isn't winning another event this year.

Waiting for Uncle Toni to declare at the end of this or next season at max "hey guys, we retire cuz we wana go fishing no?" :worship:

this guy will not quit as of yet. the target is to beat roger in slam count. i still see him winning 4 roland garros

Are you kidding me? That target is out of his reach. If he is really dreaming about that LOL God save him. ZERO chance cuz fed gonna keep on raking slams even after rafa retires by this year or next. His knees are dead. It's end of the road for his tennis career now. RIP :sad:

Honestly
07-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Waiting for Uncle Toni to declare at the end of this or next season at max "hey guys, we retire cuz we wana go fishing no?" :worship:

Are you kidding me? That target is out of his reach. If he is really dreaming about that LOL God save him. ZERO chance cuz fed gonna keep on raking slams even after rafa retires by this year or next. His knees are dead. It's end of the road for his tennis career now. RIP :sad:

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-23-2012, 02:17 AM
general RFK you can try shedding some light on these lost souls but as far as i know there is no cure for neuroejaculitis.

The light will either cure them or destroy them.

There is no other option for Fedtardism.

chenx15
07-23-2012, 02:47 AM

i never believed his injuries and i have learned never to count him out. in late 2009 early 2010 he was as low as number 4 then he came back firing. this guy is a fighter but sadly a faker as well

chenx15
07-23-2012, 02:49 AM

i heard most elite tennis players do. to avoid mental distraction and to keep mentally and physically fresh. i believe bjorn borg, pete and agassi did the same thing

Mimi
07-23-2012, 03:02 AM
yeah, faking injuries to the point that he gonna loses all his points in toronto and may be Cincy? he just loves to drop out of top 4 and face Roger/Nole/Murray before semi-final, to get more chances to win then :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Whiznot
07-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Yup, Pete Sampras too.

Interestingly, Lebron James as well.

Bjorn Borg also slept 10 to 12 hours each night according to his autobiography. Knitting the raveled sleeve...

Clay Death
07-23-2012, 03:25 AM
is that really accurate. i have never heard of that before.

all the all time greats and the other great truly driven athletes that i have ever read about got up early and trained 6-7 hours a day.

tour de france type cyclists often train 8 hours a day.

with such high metabolic rates i am not too sure if you can sleep 12 hours a day.

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Bjorn Borg also slept 10 to 12 hours each night according to his autobiography. Knitting the raveled sleeve...

Didn't know Borg had an autobiography. What's it called?

Clay Death
07-23-2012, 04:02 AM
i did not know either. i would like to read up a little on borg.

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 05:15 AM
i did not know either. i would like to read up a little on borg.

Same here - seems like he was pretty badass.

Clay Death
07-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Same here - seems like he was pretty badass.

its a shame he left the sport so early.

no telling what else he could have achieved.

he was one of the most gifted athletes of his times.

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 05:55 AM
its a shame he left the sport so early.

no telling what else he could have achieved.

he was one of the most gifted athletes of his times.

I agree - he was made of steel, probably could have destroyed McEnroe for a few more years, if he'd had the will to do so.

Clay Death
07-23-2012, 05:58 AM
I agree - he was made of steel, probably could have destroyed McEnroe for a few more years, if he'd had the will to do so.

i dont know that much about him but i have read things here and there.

i hear that he had a resting pulse rate that was around 35-38.

so he had a massive natural VO2MAX (oxygen carrying capacity).

he could have made a name for himself in cycling if he had wanted to.

and he had one hell of a drive. he often practiced 6-7 hours a day.

manadrainer
07-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Thats right ... when 2 real spartans fight, either can win on the day.

When a spartan fights a dancin girl, the dancin girl Fed has no chance in a fair fight

Mmm and what exactly wasn't "fair" in the wimbledon semifinal? :confused:

@Sweet Cleopatra
07-23-2012, 06:33 AM
sure devastated by the latest news i can no longer accept the mockery and irresponsible behavior of tennis forum members regarding the latest news i warn all those members i am not replying because i am planning there is no turning back

every action has a reaction

mockery = consequences and very bad consequences

mockery = consequences and very bad consequences mockery = consequences and very bad consequences mockery = consequences and very bad consequences

BackhandDTL
07-23-2012, 06:36 AM
He would be smart to stick to his words and resume play only once his legs are ready for such a thing. The worst thing he could do right now is make a premature return and ultimately lengthen his time away from the game.

Kiedis
07-23-2012, 06:41 AM
After 2009 came 2010. After 2012 will come 2013. Pray for death, haters. You must pray for fuckin' death.

Litotes
07-23-2012, 06:58 AM

A little off topic, but the lowest resting pulse recorded by an athlete is 28, by the great cyclist Miguel Indurain.

Highest VO2MAX will of course be in cross-country skiing. Skiing GOAT Bjørn Dæhlie (Bjoern Daehlie if you can't read Norwegian letters) has the record here, 96 ml/kg/mn. Indurain had 88. Do you know Borg's precise measurement?

Litotes
07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
After 2009 came 2010. After 2012 will come 2013.

I am a little curious - what comes after 2011?

Kiedis
07-23-2012, 07:07 AM

A good feast is always followed by a great siesta. At least in Spain.

But the lion will be hungry again so pray for death.

atennisfan
07-23-2012, 07:12 AM

2012?

:scratch:

The Fearhand
07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Rafa's hurt, Juan Carlos is considering retirement, Kim Clijsters has already retired. My days of watching tennis may soon be numbered, too.

Wait what ? Did I miss something ?
Didn't she play at Wimbledon recently and isn't she going to play the Olympics and USO before retiring ?

scoobs
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Let's keep this on topic or we'll assume you've exhausted the discussion and close it.

Arkulari
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Rafa has to forget about hard courts, his body cannot take it any longer, that's why he hasn't won a HC tournament since 2010.

That Australian Open final was the final nail in the coffin, he had to play the two best HC players back to back in gruesome matches (the final was worse but don't think the SF was a walk in the park).

He will continue dominating on clay because the surface suits his game perfectly and is great for his knees but put the guy outside of it and he's toast these days.

Focus on clay and maybe grass, Rafa. Play as little as possible in HC to make your knees last longer.

duong
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks Ash86, Just like Heaven, Johnny Groove and a few others, MTFers and Mods ;) for the surprisingly good level of this thread :yeah:

Well, on the topic I can't see him playing Toronto, Cinci is possible, but anyway even without playing Cinci, I rather see him playing the US Open. In slams, he can have some not too tough early rounds to practice and anyway he's always at his best only in the end of slams. And he's also been able of spectacular level raises during slams (including last year's US Open)

Of course it's not a good sign for the US Open though :shrug:

On the rankings topic : He has very few points to defend until the US Open and it would require great results from Murray to be number 3 by then.

In addition to Djkovic, we have Ferrer (USO'07), WB'07 (Federer), AO'08 (Tsonga), USO'08 (Murray ), USO'09 (Del Potro)... Has he injured too?

here you go too far : you should really think more before talking or don't know enough about your favorite player, Kiedis, because there were injury talkings in all of these matches except the AO 2008 loss to Tsonga ("Tsonga didn't play normal"), and the US open 2008 to Murray ... but for that match against Murray, people said that he had lost because of "tiredness" even though Murray played a great great match.

Of course it doesn't mean anything about this present injury : the tendonitis has bothered him a lot this year despite the PRP treatment, and he clearly played very badly in the first 3 sets against Rosol, many people overrate Rosol's level in this match because of his final set but his first sets were good but nothing really special.

Kiedis you should be more inspired by your fellow Ash86, Just like Heaven and others to stay at a good level despite the stupid hating comments, I know you can ;)

duarte_a
07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
People, remember 2009 and early 2010.... nadal was done, was #4 in the world, didn't hold a slam....

What happened in the remainder of 2010... won 3 slams!!!!

I've learned to not underestimate nadal. He has looked like he was finished a lot of times in the past and he came back stronger.

If he doesn't make any slam finals, outside RG, in the US Open 2012 and in 2013 then we can assume he will win only on clay slam-wise.
But as of now nadal is defending finalist in the AO and the USO.

Don't count him out, I advise you.

nick the greek
07-23-2012, 09:47 AM
People, remember 2009 and early 2010.... nadal was done, was #4 in the world, didn't hold a slam....

I've learned to not underestimate nadal. He has looked like he was finished a lot of times in the past and he came back stronger.

If he doesn't make any slam finals, outside RG, in the US Open 2012 and in 2013 then we can assume he will win only on clay slam-wise.

This.

Commander Data
07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
we'll assume you've exhausted the discussion

lol

manadrainer
07-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Agreed.

Silvester
07-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree with not counting him out, but with age, comes longer recovery periods as well.

Juz78
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
This.

nick the greek has spoken. /endthread.

SilverSlam
07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
the only injury that mug has is butt hurt from Rosol's Czech paddle...

seriously for a guy who says he "doesn't like to always be injured when he loses" and take away from his opponents win, he sure seems to do exactly that.

Whiznot
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Didn't know Borg had an autobiography. What's it called?

The title is "Bjorn Borg: My Life And Game". Read it and you will learn that Borg didn't like school, teachers or reporters. Borg was so weird that he never complained about bad calls even if they were egregious. Nastasi's name for Borg was "the Martian". All other top players in Borg's era were completely intimidated because bad calls drew no response from him. I always thought Borg's attitude was the ultimate gamesmanship.;)

Jaz
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Can anyone actually tell us what this injury is, without having to read 15 pages?

tintennis
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I always thought Borg's attitude was the ultimate gamesmanship.;)

You mean 'sportsmanship'.

JMan22
07-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Good post. I agree with this. I think that in the next few years, Nadal still has at least one really strong year ahead of him where he'll win 2 or maybe even 3 slams.

Jaz
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM

No one is counting him out.

Even as a Federer fan.. Nadal will b e back and will win more slams. The difference is this: It gets harder and harder every time.

Whiznot
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM

I have seen Borg say that the often reported heart rate stuff wasn't true. But Bjorn was the fittest tennis player who ever lived. During this year's Wimby I heard McEnroe say that Borg told him that he was never tired in any match ever. The amazing thing was that Borg was the ultimate retriever yet I never saw him draw a deep breath.

The four grand slam winners of the era played in a special summer event in Boca Raton, Florida called The Pepsico Grand Slam. The surface was Har Tru clay and best of five sets. Even in he summer heat and humidity of south Florida Borg would retrieve for five sets and never sweat, change shirts or breathe hard. After one game Jimmy Connors would be soaking wet.

Borg once competed in the old ABC network Superstars competition which pitted the best athletes from different sports against each other. One of the competitors along with Borg was the legendary hurdler Edwin Moses at his peak. One of the competitions was the 100 yard dash. The announcers were sure that no one would out run Moses but Borg did. Bjorn, who had never run track in his life, clocked a 9.6.

Borg's retirement was a tragedy for tennis (as would be Nadal's if he can't pull himself together). Borg was tired of the grind and decided to cut down his schedule. The new ATP head Hamilton Jordan (who I am ashamed to say is from my home town) passed some kind of rule that would force players who didn't play a certain number of events to have to go through qualifying in order to play the slams. Borg didn't want to be a slave and said Adios.

niff
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Borg once competed in the old ABC network Superstars competition which pitted the best athletes from different sports against each other. One of the competitors along with Borg was the legendary hurdler Edwin Moses at his peak. One of the competitions was the 100 yard dash. The announcers were sure that no one would out run Moses but Borg did. Bjorn, who had never run track in his life, clocked a 9.6.

Nice tidbits about Borg, thanks :yeah:

Allez
07-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Wow almost as quick as Usain Bolt and quicker than some gold medalists of the past in the same distance with no training and no experience :eek::eek::eek: was he ever drafted into the Swedish track & field Olympics squad ? He'd have won them a gold medal.

duong
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Wow almost as quick as Usain Bolt and quicker than some gold medalists of the past in the same distance with no training and no experience :eek::eek::eek: was he ever drafted into the Swedish track & field Olympics squad ? He'd have won them a gold medal.

9.6 (manual that is around 9.80 electronic) for one hundred yards, not for one hundred meters, it's around 10.60 for 100 meters, which is great but nothing like the competitors for the Olympics.

Allez
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
9.6 (manual that is around 9.80 electronic) for one hundred yards, not for one hundred meters, it's around 10.60 for 100 meters, which is great but nothing like the competitors for the Olympics.

I know this. In the past it it used to be a 100 yard dash at the Olympics. Have you never read up about the great Jesse Owens who ran it in 9.4 seconds in front of a frothing Adolf Hitler in Berlin 1936 ? That man was one of the all time greats and he was only 0.2 secs quicker than an untrained Borg ??? I'd have to see it to believe it :p I've looked at the history of the 100 yard dash and it seems Borg would have fit right in with the then world record holders :eek:

philosophicalarf
07-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Apparently the world record in the 100yrds is 9.06 by Asafa Powell.

Roger the Dodger
07-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I am pretty sure even Nadal would clock 10.5 secs for a hundred meter dash which is still astounding given the sport he has chosen for his career.

Ash86
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
I am pretty sure even Nadal would clock 10.5 secs for a hundred meter dash which is still astounding given the sport he has chosen for his career.

Not sure about time - don't think Nadal is that fast - but do think he could have played a lot of other sports. Think both Agassi and McEnroe have said this - he's one of the first top tennis players who's built in a way that you could imagine him in another discipline - plus his character is like that too. Played football (soccer) till he was 12 - would probably have been half decent though obviously nothing like the success in tennis. Team sports probably suit him better actually personality wise...

Also, CNN interview - nothing that new - doesn't know when he'll return or what his plans are for the next few weeks - just wants to focus on recovering. And will try to do everything to get to Rio 2016 in good condition - so seems like for now he's signing on to another 4 years on tour - have a hard time believing it but clearly that flag meant a lot to him - maybe he'll do it just to get there...

O8J3411Eizc

Orka_n
07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
After 2009 came 2010. After 2012 will come 2013. Pray for death, haters. You must pray for fuckin' death.Feels more like you should pray for another miracle to happen.

MTwEeZi
07-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Feels more like you should pray for another miracle to happen.

Pray for death. Nadal will rise from this.

Apophis
07-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Apparently the world record in the 100yrds is 9.06 by Asafa Powell.

I have a hard time believing top tennis players can run sub-10 in 100y or sub-11 in 100m. They have a completely different build than top sprinters. It would be interesting to see what a top endurance athlete such as a marathon world champion could run in the 100 meter, this may be comparable to what a tennis player can do given they have a better running technique but worse anaerobic capacity than a tennis player.

This is getting slightly off-topic though.

Fed fordawin
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Spartan King to surprise everybody and win his first non clay title in 2 years!:worship::rocker2:

duong
07-23-2012, 10:02 PM
I know this. In the past it it used to be a 100 yard dash at the Olympics. Have you never read up about the great Jesse Owens who ran it in 9.4 seconds in front of a frothing Adolf Hitler in Berlin 1936 ? That man was one of the all time greats and he was only 0.2 secs quicker than an untrained Borg ??? I'd have to see it to believe it :p I've looked at the history of the 100 yard dash and it seems Borg would have fit right in with the then world record holders :eek:

The surface on which Owens did run was completely different, it slid under his shoes : his time would be ridiculous comparing to modern runners, but he just didn't run on the same surface, plus the improvements in the shoes ... it's useless comparing times on modern surfaces to Owens's.

Yes, it's off-topic but 9.6 manual for 100 yards looks very quick but possible to me for a great sportsman like Borg, esp. if he was faster than Edwin Moses (400 meter hurdles specialist and a real legend)

Sorry for the off-topic but it's pleasant talking about Borg as well :p

Honestly
07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
As for the topic I see NAdal being back at Cincy where I don't expect much from him. If he makes semis at the USO he would have done a really good job.

Honestly
07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Spartan King to surprise everybody and win his first non clay title in 2 years!:worship::rocker2:

:worship:

superslam77
07-24-2012, 04:23 AM

nadal is a zombie :devil:

Apophis
07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
The surface on which Owens did run was completely different, it slid under his shoes : his time would be ridiculous comparing to modern runners, but he just didn't run on the same surface, plus the improvements in the shoes ... it's useless comparing times on modern surfaces to Owens's.

Yes, it's off-topic but 9.6 manual for 100 yards looks very quick but possible to me for a great sportsman like Borg, esp. if he was faster than Edwin Moses (400 meter hurdles specialist and a real legend)

Sorry for the off-topic but it's pleasant talking about Borg as well :p

I missed the Moses part... regardless of his time, that is already extremely impressive.

atennisfan
07-24-2012, 02:04 PM

yards, not meter.

Fedex
07-25-2012, 02:00 AM

Quoting John McEnroe will get you nowhere. Fed and Muray are both much better volleyers than Nadal.

chammer44
07-25-2012, 04:27 AM

That whole jesse owens hitler story is a fable. The Fuhrer shook his hand afterwards.