Atlanta 1/4 : Isner def. Sock 7/6(7) 6/4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Atlanta 1/4 : Isner def. Sock 7/6(7) 6/4

RonaldGomez
07-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Another tie-breaker won by Big John and clash interesting to come against Roddick in semifinals. Did anyone see the match ?

Slade
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Only saw a bit of the second set. Isner served well as usual and Sock missed some opportunities to break and then was broken himself, etc etc. Wasn't a high quality match from what I saw.

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Is there a section/thread to preview next matches and talk about them ? I think Isner is up against Roddick and Isner seems to be the fav even though I have a feeling Roddick will take it.

Slade
07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
You can make a thread here I guess but also in the vbetting forum. Here is the topic for Isner vs Roddick: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206708

Talk in the live commentary thread when the match is on though

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 10:06 AM
You can make a thread here I guess but also in the vbetting forum. Here is the topic for Isner vs Roddick: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206708

Talk in the live commentary thread when the match is on though

Thanks.

Backhand_Maestro
07-21-2012, 10:13 AM
His opponent should have pulled himself up

Fumus
07-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Really entertaining match, Sock is a showman and a character. He reminds me alot of a young Roddick with his antics and persona. Also a huge forehand that he slaps at will.

Sock was so sweaty that his shoes became saturated in sweat and began to squish and leave sweaty footprints on the court....the chair ruled this to be a hazard and let Jack change his shoes mid service game. The commentators found some irony in this...being that his last name is Sock.

The players kept losing the ball in the lights, high lobs were effective and during one epic hold game at 5-6...Jack literally put his arms up and said "I don't know where ball is"...then the ball dropped back in and play continued, LOL.

Isner played uber passive and waited for the high risk Sock to miss at critical moments, luckily for John he did. Sock did come back from 4-1 down in the first set breaking the Isner serve. The commentators noted that Sock hits the forehand and backhand with the same extreme grip making it easier for him to return the Isner serve...and he surprisingly did get many serves back. Jack lead 3-2 with the mini-break in the tb and then proceed to double fault 2 times in a row. Somehow Jack climbed back in the tb for a chance at set point but Isner snuffed it out and eventually took the set on a routine forehand miss from Sock.

The final set continued the same way with Jack Sock making in roads on Johns serve and then committing tons of unforced errors in flurries.

SapELee
07-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Really entertaining match, Sock is a showman and a character. He reminds me alot of a young Roddick with his antics and persona. Also a huge forehand that he slaps at will.

Sock was so sweaty that his shoes became saturated in sweat and began to squish and leave sweaty footprints on the court....the chair ruled this to be a hazard and let Jack change his shoes mid service game. The commentators found some irony in this...being that his last name is Sock.

The players kept losing the ball in the lights, high lobs were effective and during one epic hold game at 5-6...Jack literally put his arms up and said "I don't know where ball is"...then the ball dropped back in and play continued, LOL.

Isner played uber passive and waited for the high risk Sock to miss at critical moments, luckily for John he did. Sock did come back from 4-1 down in the first set breaking the Isner serve. The commentators noted that Sock hits the forehand and backhand with the same extreme grip making it easier for him to return the Isner serve...and he surprisingly did get many serves back. Jack lead 3-2 with the mini-break in the tb and then proceed to double fault 2 times in a row. Somehow Jack climbed back in the tb for a chance at set point but Isner snuffed it out and eventually took the set on a routine forehand miss from Sock.

The final set continued the same way with Jack Sock making in roads on Johns serve and then committing tons of unforced errors in flurries.

Thanks for the summary, I missed the match :sad:. Sock also reminds me of a young Roddick in that sense, don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing :lol:.

RonaldGomez
07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Thx Fumus, cool post.

mooncreek
07-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I remember with this match why I liked Jack Sock, who I'd only seen in the US Open setting. He was doing a pretty good job returning Isner's serve and how he really hung in.

One thing not in Fumus' post is that epic hold game at 5-6. Between that game and the tiebreak, Isner had 8 SPs (one in tiebreak on John's serve) denied by Sock.