Rafael nadal the only man in history... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafael nadal the only man in history...

Gambler_3
07-21-2012, 07:20 AM
...to have held grand slams on 3 surfaces at the same time not once but twice. He is also the only man to have ever won 3 consecutive slams on 3 different surfaces. :worship: :worship:

Even the great roger federer only managed to do it winning 3 out of 4 slams once on different surfaces and it is unlikely he will ever have the chance again. Novak failed at this years french open as well but he still has time to try again.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 07:22 AM
i was not aware of that.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 07:23 AM
how about muster who made a little bit of history in his own way:

i think he is one of the very few to snatch a masters series crown on 3 different surfaces:

clay, hard courts, and indoor carpet.

not bad for a guy who was run over by a drunk in miami.

MuzzahLovah
07-21-2012, 07:24 AM
3 "different" surfaces. :p

Ash86
07-21-2012, 07:25 AM
...to have held grand slams on 3 surfaces at the same time and he did it not once but twice. :worship: :worship:

Even the great roger federer failed on 3 occasions to achieve this historic feat and it is unlikely he will ever have the chance again. Novak failed at this years french open as well but he still has time to try again.

Federer held US Open 08, French 09 and Wimby 09 at the same time. Nadal's the only one to have held them in the same calendar year - in 2010.

TBkeeper
07-21-2012, 07:25 AM
...to have held grand slams on 3 surfaces at the same time and he did it not once but twice. :worship: :worship:

Even the great roger federer failed on 3 occasions to achieve this historic feat and it is unlikely he will ever have the chance again. Novak failed at this years french open as well but he still has time to try again.

Even i haven't failed with my first post :worship:

Gambler_3
07-21-2012, 07:26 AM
i was not aware of that.Nobody seems to talk about this on here it seems thats why I made an account. It's unbelievable that people talk about nadal as a one-dimensional player when he has achieved something that requires versatility of the highest order.

teamvip
07-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Fed did it. Not in a calendar year though.

RG 2009 - clay
Wim 2009 - grass
AO 2010 - hard (could use US Open 08 too)

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Nobody seems to talk about this on here it seems thats why I made an account. It's unbelievable that people talk about nadal as a one-dimensional player when he has achieved something that requires versatility of the highest order.

welcome to the forums.

i am General Death the destroyer of dreams and good homes. glad to meet you.

well to be perfectly accurate, clay warrior has done it with just 3 things:

1. his athletic ability
2. his will
3. his forehand

all the others had all the variety and the versatility. so nadal did it with limited resources and with fucked up knees.

now that is something to be admired for all aspiring tennis players.

Gambler_3
07-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Correction yes the federer 08-09 thing escaped me, I have edited the OP.

motorhead
07-21-2012, 07:32 AM
...to have held grand slams on 3 surfaces at the same time not once but twice. :worship: :worship:

Even the great roger federer only did it once and it is unlikely he will ever have the chance again. Novak failed at this years french open as well but he still has time to try again.

u all right mate?

Gambler_3
07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
welcome to the forums.

i am General Death the destroyer of dreams and good homes. glad to meet you.

well to be perfectly accurate, clay warrior has done it with just 3 things:

1. his athletic ability
2. his will
3. his forehand

all the others had all the variety and the versatility. so nadal did it with limited resources and with fucked up knees.

now that is something to be admired for all aspiring tennis players.Thank you. :)

Yes indeed nadal is an aspiring example for upcoming players.

ahadabans
07-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Thank you. :)

Yes indeed nadal is an aspiring example for upcoming players.

Well said. Nadal is an inspiration. Clay Death made an excellent post above that sums it up well. Nadal has maximized his potential probably more than any player in history. No one could have predicted 11 slams from him (except maybe his die hard fans). It's been an honor watching him all these years and I hope he stays healthy long enough to add a few more to that total.

Welcome to the forums BTW. And be prepared for a lot of negative posts, because threads like this will make you a target for the bitter hate squad. Ignore them if you can.

Gambler_3
07-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Well said. Nadal is an inspiration. Clay Death made an excellent post above that sums it up well. Nadal has maximized his potential probably more than any player in history. No one could have predicted 11 slams from him (except maybe his die hard fans). It's been an honor watching him all these years and I hope he stays healthy long enough to add a few more to that total.

Welcome to the forums BTW. And be prepared for a lot of negative posts, because threads like this will make you a target for the bitter hate squad. Ignore them if you can.I am aware have been a lurker here for a long time. ;)

Myrre
07-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Did you just start watching tennis? The top guys win on all surfaces now. Why don't you take a history lesson to find out why?

Corey Feldman
07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
the great Nadal war cry

the 3 slams on 3 surfaces in one year !
owns Fed!!

:haha:

said it before, his 8 Monte Carlo's is his most impressive achievment to me

born_on_clay
07-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Rafa :hatoff:

DJ Soup
07-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Did you just start watching tennis? The top guys win on all surfaces now. Why don't you take a history lesson to find out why?

the correct answer to this thread.
Hell, the career grand slam is not as a big deal as it used to be.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-21-2012, 04:01 PM
said it before, his 8 Monte Carlo's is his most impressive achievement to me

+1

Juz78
07-21-2012, 05:01 PM
how about muster who made a little bit of history in his own way:

i think he is one of the very few to snatch a masters series crown on 3 different surfaces:

clay, hard courts, and indoor carpet.

not bad for a guy who was run over by a drunk in miami.

Muster doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he did. How many other tennis players were told they'd probably never walk properly ever again, to defy the odds and come back and take world number 1. Hats off to a gutsy living legend!

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Rafa Nadal's best achievement is either 2 channel slams, that its an insane feat, and 7 Roland Garros, Monte Carlo with its 3 set set up and optional entry is no more than a glorified 500 these days, Tokyo, Basel or Dubai gets a field just as good

LeChuck
07-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Nadal's RG-Wimbledon-US Open treble in 2010 is a very underrated achievement. To win the 3 most prestigious tournaments in a 16 week window on 3 different surfaces in clay, grass and hard was incredible

Many great players have been unable to win all 3 of those titles in their careers, let alone in one single year.

There have several occasions when a player has won 2 out of those 3 titles but finished as the runner-up in the other one; Borg in 1978 and 1980, McEnroe in 1984, Lendl in 1986 and 1987, Agassi in 1999 and Federer in 2006, 2007 and 2009.