5 Forehands With Deadly Finishing Power and Consistency In the Clutch [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

5 Forehands With Deadly Finishing Power and Consistency In the Clutch

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 04:33 AM
we have lots of new people here or lots of double accounts or both. either way, its best to start a new discussion on the most important of the 2 strokes.

have at it. you have the floor.

make it fun.

i have no use for voting. discussion is far more important.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
where is statracket?

he is definitely one of the very best posters here. so his opinion is always worth reading.

out_here_grindin
07-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Fernado Gonzalez. In terms of most stand out shot from their game of all time Federer's may be more precise and versatile but its part of his larger game. Gonzo's was really THE stad out shot of the tour for many years.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 04:44 AM
long time no see general jeff.

i am going to have to agree.

gonzo`s forehand is most definitely in the top 5 greatest ever. perhaps even in the top 3.

he could blast you right off the court with his forehand.

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 04:45 AM
I agree as well. Gonzo's forehand was something out of this world. It's not necessarily the precision most of the time, I'm awed by the power he generates on it.

leng jai
07-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Federer
Grosjean
Gonzalez

Slade
07-21-2012, 04:49 AM
I'm biased but I think Gonzo' FH is well in the top 5. Federer will have a spot, Nadal probably is at least top 10 when he is aggressive with it.

BroTree123
Blake had a trebuchet of a forehand as well. In his prime, he was bombing that shit everywhere at will.

Clay Death
how about lendl`s sledgehammer forehand?

i hear he could castrate your ass with it from 90 feet away.

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Impossible to say really, what with so many players with great forehands over the years. Really can't make an all-time top 5. Some guys have had awesome power, others incredible placement and variety...

As for the best five right now, they'd be Federer, Nadal, Del Potro, Tsonga and Berdych (not in any specific order).

out_here_grindin
07-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Blake had a trebuchet of a forehand as well. In his prime, he was bombing that shit everywhere at will.

Certainly a great kill shot. Not as great at constructing and dominating points as say someone like Lendl. Different style strength.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 04:53 AM
anybody for sampras?

how about muster? he basically never missed in the clutch with his forehand.

same with vilas.

and borg. he never missed in the clutch with his forehand either.

i am looking for a forehand that performed best under pressure and also was a devastating forehand with ridiculous finishing power.

leng jai
07-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Blake's forehand was huge but pretty one dimensional.

Sebastien Grosjean's forehand was simply genius. Wand like his prime.

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Yep. Blake's power on the FH was immense, but it wasn't always accurate. If you're looking for a candidate for one of the biggest forehands in the game, he is certainly up there.

Slade
07-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Mardy Fish' forehand is surely top 5.

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Definitely Gonzo and Fed. But I also think Nadal. His spin is ridiculous, and that's the shot that has made him so successful for the most part. It can get really powerful too!
sKoUrBhhh7k

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Definitely Gonzo and Fed. But I also think Nadal. His spin is ridiculous, and that's the shot that has made him so successful for the most part. It can get really powerful too!
sKoUrBhhh7k

holy shit. that was like a speeding bullet with topspin.

sick forehand there dude.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 05:14 AM
here is my list:

1. clay warrior
2. fed
3. lendl
4. gonzo
5. muster

i can add a few more to that list:

6. agassi
7. courier (strange looking forehand but effective as hell and consistent)
8. sampras
9. vilas
10. borg

Raferminator
07-21-2012, 05:28 AM
anybody for sampras?

i am looking for a forehand that performed best under pressure and also was a devastating forehand with ridiculous finishing power.

Most Brilliant Forehand Shot by Rafa vs. Kohli, AO 2010 :yeah:
qp3JJvlMGDQ

Most Powerful Clutch Forehand vs. Nole, Third set Tiebreak, Madrid 2009 :worship:

RrzI2Zlpm1Q

Smoke944
07-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Blake's forehand was huge but pretty one dimensional.

Sebastien Grosjean's forehand was simply genius. Wand like his prime.

Wand like is an absolutely fantastic way to describe it, and I couldn't agree more. Awesome shot.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Most Brilliant Forehand Shot by Rafa vs. Kohli, AO 2010 :yeah:
qp3JJvlMGDQ

Most Powerful Clutch Forehand vs. Nole, Third set Tiebreak, Madrid 2009 :worship:

RrzI2Zlpm1Q

nice. keep them coming.

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Under pressure, Federer's and Nadal's forehands were insane.

Smoke944
07-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Under pressure, Federer's and Nadal's forehands were insane.

Nadal basically doesn't miss his forehand under pressure.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Nadal basically doesn't miss his forehand under pressure.

well nadal has lost some of his machine like consistency but you are spot on.

in the past when he was on his game, he never missed with his forehand under pressure and in the clutch.

same with muster and borg. they were machines off the forehand wing.

samanosuke
07-21-2012, 06:07 AM
oh give me a break with clay warrior shits. something so artificial can't be the best. forehand with no variety can't be the best.

lengai jai, good call with Grosjean, almost forgot how beautiful it was, specially dth

paseo
07-21-2012, 06:07 AM
here is my list:

1. clay warrior
2. fed
3. lendl
4. gonzo
5. muster

i can add a few more to that list:

6. agassi
7. courier (strange looking forehand but effective as hell and consistent)
8. sampras
9. vilas
10. borg

Clearly not bias, there.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Clearly not bias, there.

actually i am more objective than you ever could be. you see i am not blinded by blind worship.

you are not bright enough for me try to explain.

11 majors while serving with a wrong hand so basically no serve, pathetic slice, miserable backhand, fucked up knees, almost always injured.

and we all know he cant volley so he is limited in so many ways.

you know of anybody else who has managed 11 majors with pretty much one stroke?

i am more objective than you can ever dream to be. i dont have to blindly worship anyone but you do.

i would say it is nadal who has the greatest forehand the world has ever known.

why dont you ask fed about it and he will tell you.

n8
07-21-2012, 06:36 AM
where is statracket?

he is definitely one of the very best posters here. so his opinion is always worth reading.

That sure feels good to get an individual mention right of the bat in a thread by the renowned Clay Death.

I don't like to comment on players I haven't seen play very often, so my discussion looks at more recent players.

After a bit of thought, I'm going to put Nadal's forehand as number one. It's well known that Nadal's forehand generates more topspin than any other ground stroke ever in the game. This spin enables him to take tremendous rips at the ball and still have considerable margin. This margin means that he rarely misses and this gives him even more confidence in pressure situations. The topspin also makes it so difficult to volley and consistently attack, plus it allows incredible angles. Put this on clay and the vast majority of opponents simply can't handle it. Add leftyness and amazing speed (running around backhands) and you have one of the most effective weapons in tennis, ever.

Nadal's forehand may be best overall, but it certainly isn't the best in all conditions. For all round effectiveness, look no further than Federer. He also generates a lot of topspin, but not as much as Nadal. His forehand is generally hit with more power though. Give Nadal the right forehand and he'll ware you down pretty quickly, but Federer will usually hit a winner quicker. It was scary how dominant Federer's forehand was in his prime. Just slightly more errors are enough to push him back from number one in my opinion.

Often a good way to find players with an amazing stroke is to look at the rest of their game. Moya and Gonzalez didn't have good backhands but were both very good players. Hence their forehands must have been excellent. Moya ran around his forehand heaps and had every right to given that it was one of the best shots in tennis. Kind of like Nadal's, yet flatter and less consistent (and a righty). Gonzalez's forehand was extremely powerful and when he was in the zone, it was virtually unstoppable.

pGKJ5elXNUQ

Special mentions to Agassi who was amazing at taking the ball on the rise (on both wings including the forehand) and Sampras with his incredible running forehands. I don't feel brave enough to rank players beyond the top two, but Nadal and Federer have a clear lead (among relatively recent players).

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:44 AM
That sure feels good to get an individual mention right of the bat in a thread by the renowned Clay Death.

I don't like to comment on players I haven't seen play very often, so my discussion looks at more recent players.

After a bit of thought, I'm going to put Nadal's forehand as number one. It's well known that Nadal's forehand generates more topspin than any other ground stroke ever in the game. This spin enables him to take tremendous rips at the ball and still have considerable margin. This margin means that he rarely misses and this gives him even more confidence in pressure situations. The topspin also makes it so difficult to volley and consistently attack, plus it allows incredible angles. Put this on clay and the vast majority of opponents simply can't handle it. Add leftyness and amazing speed (running around backhands) and you have one of the most effective weapons in tennis, ever.

Nadal's forehand may be best overall, but it certainly isn't the best in all conditions. For all round effectiveness, look no further than Federer. He also generates a lot of topspin, but not as much as Nadal. His forehand is generally hit with more power though. Give Nadal the right forehand and he'll ware you down pretty quickly, but Federer will usually hit a winner quicker. It was scary how dominant Federer's forehand was in his prime. Just slightly more errors are enough to push him back from number one in my opinion.

Often a good way to find players with an amazing stroke is to look at the rest of their game. Moya and Gonzalez didn't have good backhands but were both very good players. Hence their forehands must have been excellent. Moya ran around his forehand heaps and had every right to given that it was one of the best shots in tennis. Kind of like Nadal's, yet flatter and less consistent (and a righty). Gonzalez's forehand was extremely powerful and when he was in the zone, it was virtually unstoppable.

pGKJ5elXNUQ

Special mentions to Agassi who was amazing at taking the ball on the rise (on both wings including the forehand) and Sampras with his incredible running forehands.

great post as always general statracket.

i watched one of gonzo`s matches at the french open a few years back. he must have hit 25 forehands at breakneck speeds. it was sick when he was really on.

but to be considered the very best of the best, you have to have amazing results with that forehand. and that invariably means big titles.

so for that reason, your post is 100% spot on.

i have to rate nadal`s forehand as the best ever. fed is close second.

i also like lendl, muster, and borg. they too hardly ever missed in the clutch.

same with vilas but i need to watch a few of his matches to get a better idea. i am very impressed with all that i have read. his numbers are crazy.

he did not have a big serve and he was not all that competent at the net. his backhand was a thing of beauty but it must have been his forehand that did the damage.

lets face it. how can you have deadly finishing power off a single handed backhand with a wooden racquet with a sweet spot the size of a dime.

n8
07-21-2012, 06:54 AM
i have to rate nadal`s forehand as the best ever. fed is close second.

Thanks and glad you agree. I like your knowledge of the games of the greats too.

Raferminator
07-21-2012, 06:56 AM
nice. keep them coming.

Check out the Forehand by Rafa at the 6:10 mark of the 2008 Roland Garros Final, Hercules! :bowdown:
They repeat it in slo-mo too... Also, heck out 7:35 mark for some well needed Forehand catharsis :lol:

t3TktrWPMls

8:20 mark has a great rally ending in an Epic forehand! Great video! :yeah:

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:56 AM
thanks general statracket.

keep your great posts coming mate.

buzz
07-21-2012, 07:02 AM
On clay Nadals is best by a mile. On other surfaces his forehand is top10ish I think.

Federer is easily top5 at every surface, even top2 at every surface seems fair.

Gonzo's is the most scary top5 one if he hits at full speed, but he couldn't do that every match.

Moya, mainly his inside out bombs who were very consistent for such a attacking shot.

Lendl/courier. Their forehands wouldn't be special today but at their time were revolutionary and mayor winners.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Check out the Forehand by Rafa at the 6:10 mark of the 2008 Roland Garros Final, Hercules! :bowdown:
They repeat it in slo-mo too... Also, heck out 7:35 mark for some well needed Forehand catharsis :lol:

t3TktrWPMls

8:20 mark has a great rally ending in an Epic forehand! Great video! :yeah:

great stuff. keep it coming. post some of this stuff at the castle also if you dont mind.

i am still not happy with the clay warrior. he still hit too short.

paseo
07-21-2012, 07:21 AM
actually i am more objective than you ever could be. you see i am not blinded by blind worship.

11 majors while serving with a wrong hand so basically no serve, pathetic slice, miserable backhand, fucked up knees, almost always injured.

i am more objective than you can ever dream to be. i dont have to blindly worship anyone but you do.

lol

Raferminator
07-21-2012, 07:39 AM
great stuff. keep it coming. post some of this stuff at the castle also if you dont mind.

i am still not happy with the clay warrior. he still hit too short.

Will do soon, work permitting! :yeah: Just one more Rafa Miracle Forehand Shot to deliver the point:

VtnpxcDqfxM

:bowdown:

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I am not happy with the clay warrior king.

GSMnadal
07-21-2012, 08:32 AM
V7_B3m5GzFk&feature=relmfu

2 more from the Forehand King :bowdown:

That forehand DTL is such a weapon when Rafa's on (and he was on that night), but the shot after that one :spit:

Ridiculous

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 08:35 AM
He lost though. Fuck that shit. It doesn't count :(

GSMnadal
07-21-2012, 08:39 AM
He lost though. Fuck that shit. It doesn't count :(

He mugged that up real good. Good this isn't the 5 greatest backhands thread, because that one at 4-2 30-15 would be thrown in to show who should definitely not be in that discussion.

tests
07-21-2012, 08:56 AM
V7_B3m5GzFk&feature=relmfu

2 more from the Forehand King :bowdown:

That forehand DTL is such a weapon when Rafa's on (and he was on that night), but the shot after that one :spit:

Ridiculous

those forehands by nadal in the aus open were beast no doubt... but for some reason, from a pure aesthetic standpoint, it looks so ugly :(

GSMnadal
07-21-2012, 09:04 AM
those forehands by nadal in the aus open were beast no doubt... but for some reason, from my pure aesthetic standpoint, it looks so ugly :(

because I think they look beautiful :inlove:

And anyway, this isn't a beauty contest ;)

Chirag
07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I dont know but I dont consider Nadal's forehand as the best ever.

I think the 5 best forehands are Federer ,Sampras ,Lendl ,Borg and Nadal in no order

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Jim Courier had a monster forehand, more than made up for his Baseball esq backhand, the guy effectively used it to dominate the sport for 2 years. His decline was a strange one. Borg was infamous for his titanic forehand, it almost got better with pressure, unreal. Of course there is Agassi, Federer and Nadal too, beyond Borg I dont know, perhaps Budge or Gonzalez?

Burrow
07-21-2012, 10:38 AM
It's impossible just to rank forehands in order, it's not as simple as that.

I'd pick Federer as number 1, however. During his prime, he had lots of power and when he's timing it well today, he still does to an extent but in his younger years he generated plenty of power. I think it's the fact that he makes it look so effortless without a grunt that sort of sidetracks people from the power he can generate.

Grosjean is one of my favourite forehands, good call.

Surprised not many people have mentioned Carlos Moya.

What about Younes El Aynaoui? His forehand was an excellent shot. The match against Hewitt in Australia 9 and a half years ago was incredible.

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Muster
Lendl
Gonzo
Federer
Nadal
Sampras

To name a few. I know you said 5 but...ok take Sampras out and those 5 would be my pick.

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 10:49 AM

pGKJ5elXNUQ

Special mentions to Agassi who was amazing at taking the ball on the rise (on both wings including the forehand) and Sampras with his incredible running forehands. I don't feel brave enough to rank players beyond the top two, but Nadal and Federer have a clear lead (among relatively recent players).

:worship:

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
It's impossible just to rank forehands in order, it's not as simple as that.

I'd pick Federer as number 1

:p :worship: :lol:

Burrow
07-21-2012, 11:02 AM
:p :worship: :lol:

Come on, you know what I mean ;)

out_here_grindin
07-21-2012, 01:24 PM
David Ferrer should be in the discussion, not as THE best but in the top 10. It is relentless. Consistent and the inside out is ferocious, its also one of the most precise as he can hit short angles inside the service line when he steps in. It's a whirling dervish when he gets a good rip from the back of the court.

Fed fordawin
07-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Difficult to judge because I haven't seen much pre 1990's tennis, but I'll have a go anyway.

1- Federer: can do anything with it, takes the ball very early, very precise, very powerful with a nice margin for error. Sick angles. Massive spin as well. Anyone hitting to Federer's forehand instantly lets him build the point. Even guys like Gonzalez can't hold a forehand to forehand exchange with Federer. THE biggest weapon in tennis ever.

2- Lendl: from what I've seen on youtube videos, he hits it very very hard compared to the other guys at his time.

3- Gonzalez: nothing to add really, a nuclear bomb but less consitent than the others in this list.

4- Grosjean: sick angles and pace. That's the weapon that brought a very small guy like him to the top 4.

5- Sampras: pistol forehand

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Grosjean's is a personal fave of mine even if not the best one.

Fed fordawin
07-21-2012, 01:42 PM
David Ferrer should be in the discussion, not as THE best but in the top 10. It is relentless. Consistent and the inside out is ferocious, its also one of the most precise as he can hit short angles inside the service line when he steps in. It's a whirling dervish when he gets a good rip from the back of the court.

Underrated shot: yes.

Deserving of a place in the top 10 forehands ever: nope.

TheTennisFanatic
07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm biased but I'd take Federer's forehand over Nadal's. Let's modify the question a bit to make it more interesting: Who would win most if you were only allowed to hit forehands after a neutral ball feed. I know movement comes into play here but then isn't movement a big part of all shots save the serve?

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Will do soon, work permitting! :yeah: Just one more Rafa Miracle Forehand Shot to deliver the point:

VtnpxcDqfxM

:bowdown:

good one. keep them coming.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Grosjean's is a personal fave of mine even if not the best one.

i will have to take a quick look at his forehand. some others have mentioned it too.

it must have been pretty damn good.

post a few videos here if you get a chance.

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 05:00 PM
i will have to take a quick look at his forehand. some others have mentioned it too.

it must have been pretty damn good.

post a few videos here if you get a chance.

Qejr9i0oKd8

emotion
07-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Federer has got to be the forehand GOAT, but Nadal and Gonzalez are likely also top 5
Forehand-oriented generation for sure

arm
07-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Gonzo's :hearts:

He mugged that up real good. Good this isn't the 5 greatest backhands thread, because that one at 4-2 30-15 would be thrown in to show who should definitely not be in that discussion.

No. Nole mugged up real good not to win it in 4.

Top 10? no way!

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Qejr9i0oKd8

not too shabby. he took it on the rise and ripped it time and again.

his backhand was not too bad either.

mystic ice cube
07-21-2012, 05:23 PM
It's hard to say really who has the best. Many have different strengths with that shot & use their forehand for different purposes. I do agree Nadal's is up there though. It's such a crucial reason why he is the player he is, although you could argue he doesn't go for his shots more off this side.

Plenty of others for me also. A confident Federer hitting his forehand is fantastic to watch. When 09' Del Potro was hitting the flattest forehands at top speed consistently you could say it was lights out tennis.

My top 5 in no order:
Del Potro, Federer, Nadal, Tsonga, Gonzales

Stronga23
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Monfils peak forehand is on another planet.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:07 PM
who owns the hardest hit forehand ever?

is it monfils? nadal, nole, and monfils have all hit them well in excess of 100 MPH but has anybody hit one at around 120 MPH?

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Didn't Andy Murray hit a 117mph forehand had Canada last year (or was it Cincinnati?) or was I dreaming :lol:.

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 06:15 PM

is it monfils? nadal, nole, and monfils have all hit them well in excess of 100 MPH but has anybody hit one at around 120 MPH?

Used to be Monfils. Now it's James Blake, on MP actually :eek:! It was 125 MPH!!!
eiHCjwd3LiQ

RForever
07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Del Potro
7RcxYFBOehU

Or Monfils
47FtaiGnb0Y

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Used to be Monfils. Now it's James Blake, on MP actually :eek:! It was 125 MPH!!!
eiHCjwd3LiQ

unbelievable. that was some shot.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
i forgot about d-pot. he can put some serious mustard on a forehand too.

what about isner`s forehand?

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Isner's inside out forehand for sure, although his rally forehand isn't the greatest.

samanosuke
07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Monfils peak forehand is on another planet.

he hits another planet, you mean

Bad Religion
07-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Peak Ferrero and Moya had huge and versatile forehands back in the day

Whiznot
07-21-2012, 07:23 PM
how about lendl`s sledgehammer forehand?

i hear he could castrate your ass with it from 90 feet away.

I agree completely. Lendl's great buggy-whip forehand never went off. I think Ivan could probably hit winners in his sleep.

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 07:41 PM
difficult to determine it in order, general herc. So I'll just add few names..

Gonzalez
Grosjean
Lendl
Sampras
Federer
Blake
Dent
Muster

Nadal.. in terms of topspin

well Haas' FH was killer before 1st shoulder surgery. Still great, but not as it used to be..

DrJules
07-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Borg, Lendl, Sampras, Federer, Nadal.

All include a significant element of reliability, versatility, power and control.

Others worth mention included Courier, Moya, Blake, Gonzalez and Del Potro; include much of the above but fail to deliver the full package to the level of the top 5.

BK 201
07-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Federer
Never seen a forehand this flexible (in terms of mechanics and variety). Gets a lot of spin coupled with a flat trajectory and is brilliant in every department. He's got great passing shots, obviously we know what he can do from the baseline once rallies get going and his ability to turn defense into attack with one forehand is killer. His forehand shouldn't be copied as it could cause damage to the arm.

Sampras
The best running forehand alongside JMDP I have seen. Can blow guys off the court but this was no 'James Blake' style where the forehand looked good once a month. Ugly as hell, but effective.

Agassi - Do I need to explain? The only forehand which trumps Agassi's is Federer's.

Then I really don't know. Gonzalez, Nadal, JMDP, Krajicek, Courier and Roddick (03 & 04) come to mind but all have flaws. For starters, Nadal's forehand is great on clay but he does have to expand a lot of energy and doesn't have the FH which can necessary blow guys off the court and it can land short at times. Gonazlez forehand was a winner machine but only on balls where he had enough time to wind up to unleash hell, players beat Gonzo by attacking the FH which takes time away, Krajicek was a little inconsistent, Courier's was a rocket, on hard and grass Roddick's forehand from 02-04 was probably the biggest I've seen but had a lot of spin on the ball which made it consistent for such a hard shot, his flaw was him changing his forehand to a quicker
motion which helped him stay on the baseline.

Also have to mention Bruguera, that guy got nearly as much spin as Nadal does nowadays. Impressive for the 90's.

The poster above me added Muster. Would love to know what prompted him to add that name to the list?

guy in sf
07-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Sampras and Federer for me.

NID
07-21-2012, 09:43 PM
i reckon it is only fair to look at the shot having in mind the type of game played at the time and the competition. lendl's forehand was quite something back in the beginning of 80s.

Looner
07-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Nadal as the best forehand of all time? That's laughable - he can't hit a flat forehand to save his life plus his stroke is not suited for indoor tennis, it's just that he doesn't have to play in proper quick conditions where his preparation for the stroke will get exposed. He can switch on an aggressive, quick-surface FH for a bit but that just emphasises the fact it's not his natural FH.

Federer's been discussed enough.

I think Sampras looks amazing from the few videos I've seen - especially his running one.

Delpot is obviously a good choice for laser-like FH.

Gonzo had a similarly huge one. JCF also had a very good FH in 2003 but then it went away. It was still enough to beat prime Nadal on a fast HC in Cincy though.

I haven't seen enough of Lendl, Kafelnikov, etc. to comment. As for Agassi's it never stroke me as an amazing shot - his whole game was taking the ball early on the baseline off both wings so the FH did not seem like a standout shot.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-21-2012, 09:49 PM
kmhvKafCYsk

0dw8AoTaA4Y

CRhEVQISrO4

ppDmsS7dons&feature=related

Henry Chinaski
07-21-2012, 10:25 PM
surprised nobody has mentioned mugdasco.

in terms of peak forehand he's right up there but overall consistency obviously lets him down when we're talking about the highest echelons.

but several players have said he has the best fh in men's tennis

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 10:34 PM

in terms of peak forehand he's right up there but overall consistency obviously lets him down when we're talking about the highest echelons.

Source?

Burrow
07-21-2012, 10:47 PM

But they'd be wrong though, wouldn't they? He clearly doesn't.

Henry Chinaski
07-21-2012, 11:08 PM
true. I think for a while it was possibly the biggest in the game but it's never been better than Federer's obviously.

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Borg, Nadal, Sampras, Federer, Nadal.

All include a significant element of reliability, versatility, power and control.

Others worth mention included Courier, Moya, Blake, Gonzalez and Del Potro; include much of the above but fail to deliver the full package to the level of the top 5.

great post.

i would have to agree.

i keep forgetting about moya. peak moya forehand was a weapon.

leng jai
07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Ferrero's forehand was monstrous on clay back in the day. Too bad it was almost completely nullified by Guga's backhand.

Burrow
07-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Verdasco, even during his prime, was so very inconsistent overall in his game and consequently results that it'd be impossible to have him in the very best forehands category. When he's playing well, that's a different matter obviously but how often has that happened? Not very much in his career.

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Ferrero's forehand was monstrous on clay back in the day. Too bad it was almost completely nullified by Guga's backhand.

Totally forgot about Ferrero's forehand! That definitely belongs somewhere near(or in) the top 5.

leng jai
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
You probably forgot because it has been a shadow of itself since 2005 :sobbing:

n8
07-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Borg, Nadal, Sampras, Federer, Nadal.

You mean top 4 as Nadal is there twice.

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 01:41 AM
sampy`s forehand was not too shabby but it was no match for lendl` forehand.

people also have to remember that sampy`s serve set up a lot of his forehands.

how big is the forehand in rallies? and how clutch is it when it really counts?

does it have deadly finishing power? and finally the most key criteria: consistency.

and you have to guage its true consistency by placing on clay and see if somebody can produce it over and over and again where even 10 good forehands may not be good enough to win a point.

this is why nadal`s forehand has to rate higher than fed`s forehand.

in fact the more i think about it the more i am wondering if lendl`s forehand should be also near the top.

lend started out as a touring pro without a backhand. all he could do was hit a slice and then he developed a consistent topspin backhand as he knew he had to.

he did not like the net and he did not have a dominating serve. in short, he was a grinder and that is why he took his fitness as high as he could possibly take it.

conclusion: lendl`s forehand had to be deadly and it was. and it had machine like consistency. 8 slams and a total of 19 slams finals suggest that it was more than consistent enough.

so i am now making it the 2nd greatest forehand with fed as the 3rd greatest.

so for me, my revised top 3 :

1. nadal
2. lendl
3. fed

sco
07-22-2012, 03:10 AM
1. Fed
2. Borg
3. Lendl

Noteable: running forehand only - Sampras

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 03:34 AM
Del Potro has the hardest forehand I have ever seen. And by a good margin.

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 03:37 AM
what about berdych?

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 03:43 AM
My top 5 in no particular order:

Del Potro
Federer
Lendl
Gonzo
Courier

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 03:48 AM
the problem with d-pot and gonzo:

they dont meet the consistency criteria.

betetr go back to the drawing board.

and lay off the bourbon.

TBkeeper
07-22-2012, 05:58 AM
1. Fed
2. Borg
3. Lendl

Running forehand: Davydenko second

evilmindbulgaria
07-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Nole's forehand. He can finish a great topspin forehand as well as flat.

HKz
07-22-2012, 06:21 AM

does it have deadly finishing power? and finally the most key criteria: consistency.

and you have to guage its true consistency by placing on clay and see if somebody can produce it over and over and again where even 10 good forehands may not be good enough to win a point.

in fact the more i think about it the more i am wondering if lendl`s forehand should be also near the top.

lend started out as a touring pro without a backhand. all he could do was hit a slice and then he developed a consistent topspin backhand as he knew he had to.

he did not like the net and he did not have a dominating serve. in short, he was a grinder and that is why he took his fitness as high as he could possibly take it.

conclusion: lendl`s forehand had to be deadly and it was. and it had machine like consistency. 8 slams and a total of 19 slams finals suggest that it was more than consistent enough.

1. nadal
2. lendl
3. fed

And you're telling people to lay off the bourbon LOL. Nadal has a tremendous forehand, but it mainly relies on consistency, placement and spin. Hell, without technology in the strings and racket development, Nadal's forehand wouldn't exist as it is today. Nadal will go through matches barely hitting winners off that wing. It isn't his forehand that wins matches, it is his intangibles that make him great. What an utter joke post. Lendl forehand can obviously be argued over other players, but Nadal's to be over players such as Federer and Lendl, LOL.

You should rename this thread "which forehand benefits most from a runner and technology"

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 06:31 AM
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Nole's forehand. He can finish a great topspin forehand as well as flat.

and i am the one who is at fault with that general T.

nole has one of the most devastating forehands in the game today.

and it has the machine like consistency that is one of my criteria here.

and of course it absolutely has deadly finishing power.

finally everybody got to find out how tough his forehand is in the clutch last year.

manadrainer
07-22-2012, 08:25 AM

1. nadal
2. lendl
3. fed

Consistency is an important criterion on clay where points are made of endless grueling rallies. On fast surfaces I'll take Fed's forehand over Rafa's any day.

Also I would add that on clay the problem with Fed was the consistency of his backhand (who was broken down by Nadal), not of his forehand.

Hint: where did Rafa hit most of the times in their French open finals?

sco
07-22-2012, 08:41 AM
And you're telling people to lay off the bourbon LOL. Nadal has a tremendous forehand, but it mainly relies on consistency, placement and spin. Hell, without technology in the strings and racket development, Nadal's forehand wouldn't exist as it is today. Nadal will go through matches barely hitting winners off that wing. It isn't his forehand that wins matches, it is his intangibles that make him great. What an utter joke post. Lendl forehand can obviously be argued over other players, but Nadal's to be over players such as Federer and Lendl, LOL.

You should rename this thread "which forehand benefits most from a runner and technology"

This. Have you people who hype Rafa's forehand as the best read his book? His strategy for playing Federer: wait for him to miss. Since Nadal is more consistent, Fed's got no choice but to go for his shots. Nadal wouldn't be winning anything out side of clay without the strings of today. I think it's so unfair to Borg to compare their W/FO combo when Borg won his on super fast, low bouncing, slick grass with wooden racquets. I'd like to see Rafa play on that type of grass even with today's strings. If he complains about blue clay, God knows what he'd say about grass as it was played on for decades with all the bad bounces. LOL at some of these answers - you'd think tennis has existed only for the past 10-15 years.

OT: that alien scenario should take into consideration not only surface but technology. Who knows what the aliens would choose to play on or with? Who would all you Rafa fans choose then? I know I wouldn't be choosing Rafa on fast grass (or any other surface for that matter) with wooden racquets (the way most greats of the game of tennis have played).

sco
07-22-2012, 08:45 AM
And on the women's side: Graf. It's amazing she won 22 GSs with that (relatively weak slice) backhand. Just goes to show how devastating her forehand was.

castrationcult
07-22-2012, 09:00 AM
true. I think for a while it was possibly the biggest in the game but it's never been better than Federer's obviously.

Maybe never the absolute best forehand in the game but certainly for a period it was up there, so I don't think what these other pros have said is too far off the mark. Have to bear in mind with Verdasco that almost all of his results have been through the forehand - he made it to the top 10 with an unreliable serve, mediocre backhand and world-renowned mental attributes. The forehand had to be pretty damn special.

Also he's far from just a power merchant on that wing - at his best he plays with angle, loads of spin, disguise and even his rallying shot is fairly hefty. Aesthetically not bad either, despite a western grip.

Fed Muzza Killer
07-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Fed's Forehand , Not only the best Forehand Ever,but Also the Greatest Shot Ever.

Fed fordawin
07-22-2012, 09:42 AM
the problem with d-pot and gonzo:

they dont meet the consistency criteria.

betetr go back to the drawing board.

and lay off the bourbon.

Del Potro's forehand is very consistent. He lacks variety and placement however.

Fed fordawin
07-22-2012, 09:43 AM
1. Fed
2. Borg
3. Lendl

I actually think Grosjean's running forehand is even more deadly.

Watch the first point in this video for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qejr9i0oKd8

Johnbert
07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
what about del potro?

n-95WjaZWxk

leng jai
07-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Too one dimensional and not even even sustained for 1 year.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-22-2012, 11:33 AM

1. nadal
2. lendl
3. fed

nadal never defended a non clay title

how come? if his forehand is the best evaaar?

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 12:46 PM
OT: that alien scenario should take into consideration not only surface but technology. Who knows what the aliens would choose to play on or with? Who would all you Rafa fans choose then? I know I wouldn't be choosing Rafa on fast grass (or any other surface for that matter) with wooden racquets (the way most greats of the game of tennis have played).

The Aliens can play with whatever technology they have available to them.

We will be playing with current technology. In selecting your player, assume that the current technology has always been the current technology. In other words, assume that if you were to select Borg to play against the Alien that he would have bee playing his entire life with today's technology.

It has to be done this way for purposes of the hypothetical, because it would be ridiculous for us to employ anything less than the best technology when the fate of the world is at stake.

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 02:53 PM
what about del potro?

n-95WjaZWxk

its a great forehand but he has not been consistent enough with it.

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
who has seen a few of borg`s matches in person?

any idea on the average speed/velocity of his forehands? i understand he played with donnay wooden racquets that were strung at about 80 pounds.

ball does not look like it is moving very fast from some of the highlight reels i have seen.

romaine
07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Most consistant forehand Federer. Apart from that this is my Top 10 of Forehands

Federer
Tsonga
Del Potro
Gonzalez
Grosjean
Sampras
Courier
Nadal
Berdych
Djokovic

bubinjo
12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Roger,Rafa or GONZO-but I will vote for GONZO because he has the great mixture of spin and flat forehand's,when he decides to hit the ball flat it is unstoppable.His return of the second serve is the best ever.Rafa has most consistent forehand in the world. Tsonga,Berdych,DEL PO and Verdasco could hit amazing forehand's but they are not consistent enough,especialy Verdasco.Djokovic forehand has become one of the best-consistent and destructive enough.

iniesta896
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Gonzales
Federer
Blake

Lestat
12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Gonzalez's FH is a joke as best shot, I mean, he had a looot of power but most of the his strokes were errors, he made a ton of UE

Best FH belongs to Federer, best mix of power + direction + accuracy.
Blake's and DelPo´s are also amazing, not that consistent.

HKz
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
IMO it is something like

1. Lendl/Federer
2. Sampras
3 Borg/Nadal

I really think the Borg/Lendl forehands were analogous to the forehands of Nadal/Federer. Borg with great accuracy, placement and consistency while Lendl with the power and clutch. Certainly both, especially Borg's forehand, was ahead of their time. Sampras had a tremendous forehand, but I mean hard to really rate considering playing from the baseline wasn't his biggest strength unlike the others.

fran70
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
The biggest forehand I have seen belongs to Ivan Lendl.He has no competition on that stroke. Perfect combination of power, control, slow average of unforced mistakes and high average of winners. While he started to rule the points with that stroke he slowly started to hammer and hammer their rivals in order to control the points and it was only a matter of time until he finished them with a winner. He had by far the best forehand I'd evers seen.

People forgot some players of the 80ties and 90ties with amazing forehands as Jose Luis Clerc, Guillermo Perez Roldan and Alberto Mancini. Amazing forehands with big power but quite unstable. On the 80ties Perez Roldan used to have one of the biggest forehands on clay courts. Clerc on the late 70ties and early 80ties was one of the few players that managed to overpower Lendl.

On the 90ties Thomas Enqvist was one that used to overpower Andre Agassi. Enqvist had an amazing power on his forehand (and backhand too).

GOATsol
12-08-2012, 02:07 AM
hey why was clay death banned?

se7en
12-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Murray's forehand is hihgly underrated here. One of the deadliest most realible especially on clutch moments. At its peak it can blow anyone off the court with its power and pace hardly ever missing at all. Has also a lot of variety in it. Can push and moonball when he needs to :yeah:

Mark Lenders
12-08-2012, 02:51 AM
what about del potro?

n-95WjaZWxk

:worship:

7RcxYFBOehU

selyoink
12-08-2012, 03:05 AM
Hilarious to see people argue that Nadal has the best forehand ever. It is a great shot no doubt but far from the best forehand ever. If he had the best forehand ever he would've won more than 2 hardcourt slams (or is it 3?).

fran70
12-08-2012, 08:40 AM
IMO it is something like

1. Lendl/Federer
2. Sampras
3 Borg/Nadal

I really think the Borg/Lendl forehands were analogous to the forehands of Nadal/Federer. Borg with great accuracy, placement and consistency while Lendl with the power and clutch. Certainly both, especially Borg's forehand, was ahead of their time. Sampras had a tremendous forehand, but I mean hard to really rate considering playing from the baseline wasn't his biggest strength unlike the others.

I mainly agree with you in the top 3. I don't agree with Nadal /Borg as all time great forehands.
My top 5 are:
1) Lendl
2-3) Federer/Sampras
4) Muster
5) Gonzalez

As I mentioned before there are/were some extraordinary forehands that produce amazing results at their times like Borg/Vilas (they heavy topspin ones were revolutionary on the 70ties), Clerc , Perez-Roldan (on clay), Mancini, Engvist, Bruguera(on clay), Roddick and Nadal.
Enqvist, Clerc for the reasons mentioned before.
I'm not sure if I am forgetting an another one worth to be mentioned.

samanosuke
12-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Murray's forehand is hihgly underrated here. One of the deadliest most realible especially on clutch moments. At its peak it can blow anyone off the court with its power and pace hardly ever missing at all. Has also a lot of variety in it. Can push and moonball when he needs to :yeah:

in this discussion Murray's peak forehand isn't neither a WC worthy . hope this helps

samanosuke
12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
yep, Sampras's forehand is often underrated

If we considering entire carriers imo the closest would be something like 1.Fed/Lend 2.Sampras . If we look at peak versions Fed has the edge, at those times unplayable shots. But again half of shot is inside of footwork so this opens new debate...

SaFed2005
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM

I don't see Fed staying away from Nadal's FH as much as Nadal stays da heck away from Fed's FH. I am just point that out. You tell me what that means.

samanosuke
12-08-2012, 09:12 PM
You tell me what that means.

I think you won't get that answer soon

se7en
12-09-2012, 02:37 AM
He's not staying away from bencherer's girly fgorehand, its just that his backhand is way more fun to poke fun at :devil:

GOATsol
12-09-2012, 02:42 AM
He's not staying away from bencherer's girly fgorehand, its just that his backhand is way more fun to poke fun at :devil:
whose double account are you, mug?

Naudio Spanlatine
12-09-2012, 02:55 AM
1. Federer
2. Juan Martin Del Potro
3. Tomas Berdych
4. Robin Soderling
5. Gonzo/Verdasco