Why is the Underhand Serve so Reviled? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is the Underhand Serve so Reviled?

jjc225
07-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Big deal. It should be considered a chip shot like any other shot. If someone is playing way past the baseline on return, try it a few times. It will serve to keep him honest. And work on a slice with heavy spin. It can be an effective serve, used at the right spots.

Gabe32
07-21-2012, 02:51 AM
I kind of love it, and always hope for it during a match.

Definitely a legitimate shot, but you look like an idiot if it doesn't go over/win you the point.

I can never see Fed, Rafa, Novak or Murray doing it though. It would be great though.

Also, it gets the crowd involved which at times can definitely be a hinderance.

Edit: I could actually see Novak doing it.

leng jai
07-21-2012, 02:53 AM
It's as legitimate as a double handed backhand.

jjc225
07-21-2012, 02:54 AM
There's a famous example of this, available on YouTube, of Chang doing it against Lendl, and he won the point. I think if people let this sort of thing get under the skin, you might as well use it. It is, after all, a legal shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McKWI5OmD8A

Gabe32
07-21-2012, 03:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLwHUlvl2g

Can't believe it worked against the Fed. He had hours to set up for that forehand.

lazybear
07-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Chang's underhand was actually pretty bad if you watch it, it was long, and didn't have much backspin on it, Lendl could have hit a much better shot than that, or put it back short, he had many options. Ivo had a much better one, hid it much better, and was a lot shorter as well, Haas didn't have any chance to return it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3JsfD22wHQ

Alex999
07-21-2012, 03:15 AM
oh boy that was hilarious stuff ... I remember when Hingis tried it against Graf at RG and she was booed by the crowd so much that she almost cried. OK, I know we are not supposed to be talking about girls here but that was classic. I don't think we'll ever see the top 3 guys ever trying to even attempt the underhand serve (their egos are too big) ... maybe their opponents should try it, but they would be probably get slaughtered.

Coolio_Jack
07-21-2012, 03:59 AM

:worship:

chenx15
07-21-2012, 04:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve8_MBrAdbo this is the best one

n8
07-21-2012, 06:03 AM
I don't think it should be reviled. It is legit. When someone stands as far back as Haas, and with a low bouncing court, why not?

That is not an underhand serve, just a drop serve, but still very effective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve8_MBrAdbo

Freak3yman84
07-21-2012, 06:08 AM

:haha: :lol: :superlol: :worship: McEnroe looks unbelievably pissed!

Slade
07-21-2012, 06:09 AM
I always hope a player does this especially against someone like Nadal who stands so far behind the baseline. Maybe it is seen as classless so they don't do it :shrug:

That McEnroe video is priceless. :haha: His face says it all.

Mystique
07-21-2012, 08:30 AM
It may be legit on principle but I dont find it sporting at all.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 11:32 AM
:worship: the McEnroe one :haha:

abraxas21
07-21-2012, 11:37 AM
should be done more, especially against the ones who stand 3. m. behind the baseline

Dougie
07-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Chang's underhand was actually pretty bad if you watch it, it was long, and didn't have much backspin on it, Lendl could have hit a much better shot than that, or put it back short, he had many options. Ivo had a much better one, hid it much better, and was a lot shorter as well, Haas didn't have any chance to return it.

Chang was just playing mind games at that point. He was cramping badly, and was just trying anything to disrupt Lendlīs rhythm. And it worked.

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Can't believe it worked against the Fed. He had hours to set up for that forehand.

I LOVE Fed's smile there lol.

If executed perfectly though, it's a deadly serve. It should be used more often.
It'll come in handy once a while.

Looner
07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
I've always thought Fed should use it against RN at RG.

Not only is it annoying and unexpected for the opponent, but it would also tire him out and make him guess laterally as well as forward-backward.

cardio
07-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I love underarm serve, if executed perfectly, opponent gets extremely pissed, which is main purpose of it. Not everyone can laugh it off like Fed did. Karlovic uses this sometimes, I have seen him do it against Youzhny and some other players too .You always expect huge cannonball from Karlo, and if you get this instead...To be receiveing end of it is not funny at all.

Garson007
07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
This should be employed by anyone who sees the other player standing way back of the baseline.

Apophis
07-21-2012, 12:44 PM
It may be legit on principle but I dont find it sporting at all.

Why?

JMan22
07-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I've never really gotten how it's generally allowed in matches to be honest.

Johnny Groove
07-21-2012, 01:29 PM
It would be smart to mix it up.

Why try hitting so hard and so fast when a guy can just stick a racket out and time it well and it is right back at you?

Better to hit a drop serve, or a slice drop serve or something. Or just toss the ball in the air, wind up a forehand and hit it.

Seen as classless by those who get burned by it.

cardio
07-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I've never really gotten how it's generally allowed in matches to be honest.

What is wrong with it? It is almost same as well disguised dropshot, sly, unexpected, totally legit. If you think tennis is only about hitting 200km/ h serves and 150 km /h forehands... well it is much more. You cant ban the shot, because it is too weak and short, this is ridicilous idea.They even dont ban hitting your opponent with 150 km /h flying ball( = bullet ), why should they ban totally harmless slow shot ?

mikkemus23
07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
It should be used more IMHO. Great shot! :)

MinioNole
07-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I love underarm serve, if executed perfectly, opponent gets extremely pissed, which is main purpose of it. Not everyone can laugh it off like Fed did. Karlovic uses this sometimes, I have seen him do it against Youzhny and some other players too .You always expect huge cannonball from Karlo, and if you get this instead...To be receiveing end of it is not funny at all.

How do you do exactly an underarm serve?! :P

Henry Chinaski
07-21-2012, 02:46 PM
stakhovsky did it a couple of times against raonic recently.

i joked to him on twitter he should use it more and he replied that it was considered rude and that he apologised to milos after

philosophicalarf
07-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Best one was Karlovic against Haas. Tommy camping on the back fence, actually moving the linesman's chair. Karlovic basically dropshot-serves him.

Dougie
07-21-2012, 02:58 PM
It would be smart to mix it up.

Why try hitting so hard and so fast when a guy can just stick a racket out and time it well and it is right back at you?

Better to hit a drop serve, or a slice drop serve or something. Or just toss the ball in the air, wind up a forehand and hit it.

Seen as classless by those who get burned by it.

No matter what the level, it is considered rude and disrespectful, otherwise it would be used more. Whenever you use it, you insult your opponent, thatīs just the way it is.

Roger the Dodger
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow! So great to know this is legit. Hope Roger uses it as a surprise element against Rafa someday, esp the kind Lendl played against McEnroe that stays low.

latso
07-21-2012, 03:47 PM
No matter what the level, it is considered rude and disrespectful, otherwise it would be used more. Whenever you use it, you insult your opponent, thatīs just the way it is.
It's true and the fact that it is legal is a glitch in the rules.

Just like in table tennis, it should be legit to hit a serve only if the ball has made a certain height in the air.

Just because the oponent can't be ready for such kind of shot and despite that this is the point of the surprising serve, it would be just as "legit" to serve fast while the oponent is still whipping his face with the towel facing back to the net.

That's the same as the under arm serve imo.

If one is able to make a drop shot serve with a ball thrown in the air as for a normal serve, then it's cool, but otherwise it's just kinda cheating.

I'd expect such serves from Benoit Paire in the future, he is the kind of wild tennis player with no respect for unwritten rules :)

Gagsquet
07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Gasquet would never break if it was commonly used.

Gabe32
07-21-2012, 05:01 PM
In all the videos though both players are ready to play and the server even starts with a service motion, so what is cheap about that?

Juz78
07-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Use any legal shot you want. Tennis is about beating your opponent, you have 1 ball and a whole court to do with as you please, the underarm/drop serve should not be seen as anything other than a normal shot. Personally I think people would use it more if they weren't afraid of being seen to be "poor sports" ...that needs to stop.

Dougie
07-21-2012, 05:30 PM
In all the videos though both players are ready to play and the server even starts with a service motion, so what is cheap about that?

Use any legal shot you want. Tennis is about beating your opponent, you have 1 ball and a whole court to do with as you please, the underarm/drop serve should not be seen as anything other than a normal shot. Personally I think people would use it more if they weren't afraid of being seen to be "poor sports" ...that needs to stop.

Itīs just the way it is. Doesnīt matter if it makes sense or not, there are unwritten rules in tennis, and underarm serve is one of them. Anyone can use it, but winning a point is a cheap reward for being seen as an a**hole.

Lazyking
07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
As long as its allowed, it should be done.. especially by those struggling with their serve.. I doubt anyone would do it on match point or anything.. too risky but gotta have any edge possible.

motorhead
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
:haha:

Juz78
07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Itīs just the way it is. Doesnīt matter if it makes sense or not, there are unwritten rules in tennis, and underarm serve is one of them. Anyone can use it, but winning a point is a cheap reward for being seen as an a**hole.

I know it is currently seen like that... I can only assume because it is played so rarely people get shocked when it happens and perhaps this shock is seen as a negative thing. I am sure if it started creeping in to more peoples games it would lose the stigma. I can see Tomic bringing it back ;)

Similar to the underarm "mullygrubber" bowl in cricket, although that can be used more maliciously if they need a 6 off the last ball etc...

pOakENCC9ic

motorhead
07-21-2012, 05:51 PM

:worship::lol:

Juz78
07-21-2012, 05:52 PM

:worship:

SVK
07-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Just wait till someone will do it against TOP player in, letīs say GS final, victimīs fans will attack like wasps that the opponent is a cheater and is using gamesmanship.

latso
07-21-2012, 09:04 PM
First of all it is hardly a shot that would give you a better advantage than a good first serve. So it is like a mockery of the oponent and this is counted as trying to destabilize him, just like getting a medical break out of nowhere, or faking an injury, etc.

That's just a stupid shot that would get you killed by the oponent in 8 out of 10 times.

You can't make a good drop shot from this position, so it's just useless and annoying.

latso
07-21-2012, 09:11 PM
The fact that the ball travels 10cm from the hand to the racquet, while at a normal serve it goes from 1 meter to 15 meters in the air like when Berdych serves.

It should simply be a rule like in table tennis.

And tennis as a sport is one still rated fairplay, gentlemen sport, in which these cheap trickeries are not a great advertising.

Yelling "yessss" at the oponent's UE is not forbidden, yet it's not well seen.

The crowd should be silent during the play, etc.

There are some unwritten and written rules that make this sport special and i believe it's better to keep it that way.

cardio
07-21-2012, 09:30 PM

You just made one of most stupid and ignorant statements what I ever heard in this board. It is legit - just like dropshot , or lob , or bodyserve or hitting your opponent with ball . In all of these occasions opponent looks like a damn fool out there, runnig to get the lob he cant get back,running to get dropshot over the net and then being passed like sitting duck at the net, dodging the bullet on return, screaming in pain when 150 km/ h flying ball hurts his groin.Who the fuck cares of his feelings, of course he is pissed, that is whole purpose of it - to win the point, to get returner stand closer to baseline and to make him furious.

Why pros dont use it more ? Because players are not fools, it is surprise weapon, you just cant use it too often.Player who doesnt stand too far from baseline can easily get this serve and hit return winner.

Garson007
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Similar to the underarm "mullygrubber" bowl in cricket, although that can be used more maliciously if they need a 6 off the last ball etc...

pOakENCC9ic
Which is quite rightfully banned. Performing an underarm serve you are not reprieving the opponent of winning the point - which is done in cricket. There is nothing unsporting about it.

KingCrimson
07-22-2012, 12:58 AM
I legitimately hate people who think it's cheating. The position is so absurd that I get a headache just reading some of these replies. Ugh.

niff
07-22-2012, 01:31 AM
That expression :spit:

There are some unwritten and written rules that make this sport special and i believe it's better to keep it that way.
Yeah I quite like the odd convention too. With the tour de france coming to a close it reminds me of the "not attacking yellow on final sunday" etiquette, just one of those things. It makes it more personable than just sport being a word for word rule book.

Still, the crowd getting in Hingis' face about it in that FO was dumb as.

jjc225
07-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Well, it is obvious some people feel very strongly about this. During my playing days I never really understood what people's hangup was about the underhand serve. I mean, it's a LEGAL play, case closed. I didn't use it that often when I played because it is hard to pull off. By the way, Karlovic's underhand serve technique is incredible, the best I've seen. It looks like he spent some time working on it. And he probably had good reason to do so. With that booming serve, he was constantly facing people playing way past the baseline on return, so it only makes sense that he would have it in his very occasional arsenal.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the back and forth on this topic.

Gabe32
07-22-2012, 04:29 AM
I completely disagree with the posters who say it is cheap.

Entirely legal, in fact it adds a lot to the game. How many more points would Federer have won against Nadal (who stands miles from the baseline when receiving)? It is just another shot a player should possess in his/her arsenal, and a legal one at that.

Do people hate drop shots as well?

Also this whole ping pong argument is ridiculous. Since when does tennis take cues from TABLE tennis? A completely irrelevent argument if you ask me. As silly as someone referencing baseball rules.

chenx15
07-22-2012, 05:22 AM
my greatest weapon is my return game. and i usually make strong servers suffer once i started reading their serves and i can make an outright winner out of it. some of my very smart opponents basically drop serve me and i don't feel bad about it. part of the game. then they start messing with my head and i don't know where to position myself. anyway with that being said maybe there is some unwritten rule in tennis

heya
07-22-2012, 06:33 AM
why win with ease when you can damage your career and choke with a tiresome serve and awful 2-shot rallies?

NYCtennisfan
07-22-2012, 07:16 AM
You just made one of most stupid and ignorant statements what I ever heard in this board. It is legit - just like dropshot , or lob , or bodyserve or hitting your opponent with ball . In all of these occasions opponent looks like a damn fool out there, runnig to get the lob he cant get back,running to get dropshot over the net and then being passed like sitting duck at the net, dodging the bullet on return, screaming in pain when 150 km/ h flying ball hurts his groin.Who the fuck cares of his feelings, of course he is pissed, that is whole purpose of it - to win the point, to get returner stand closer to baseline and to make him furious.

Why pros dont use it more ? Because players are not fools, it is surprise weapon, you just cant use it too often.Player who doesnt stand too far from baseline can easily get this serve and hit return winner.

First of all, a little civility in discourse would be nice.

Second of all, it was not a "stupid and ignorant" statement; yes, the shot is legal but the mores of tennis and its de facto rules frown upon its usage in competitive play.

In fact, the comments made on this thread delineate the differences between those who have played the game somewhat competitively and those who haven't.

Mountaindewslave
07-22-2012, 07:34 AM
First of all, a little civility in discourse would be nice.

Second of all, it was not a "stupid and ignorant" statement; yes, the shot is legal but the mores of tennis and its de riguer rules frown upon its usage in competitive play.

In fact, the comments made on this thread delineate the differences between those who have played the game somewhat competitively and those who haven't.

he is right though, there is no value in what you replied to him. it is a mockery to judge whether or not he has played the game competitively or not; the fact is that it is legal to play the shot. If someone doesn't like it that is one thing, but to purely say that players shouldn't do it because it is sometimes considered a slight by the extremely unexpected nature of the whole thing is ludicrous.

It is entirely irrelevant if someone comments on here with prior experience of competitive play, nor would you have any idea of what their experience is. The shot has been done before in quite big matches so clearly SOME pro players find it appropriate at times which would contradict what you say about a general frowning upon.

The fact is that it is a risky shot to hit because if the opponent reaches it they will likely win the point, and because hitting an underhand serve just right is sometimes rather difficult.

It's legal, professional players have used it before, and it's absolutely ridiculous that some of you (regardless of your experience) think that it's a shot that is worth being offended by. I have no idea how you must feel when a player wins a point off of a net chord, maybe spend a good deal of time with tissues and tears.

It would be a clever thing to use in today's game, but it is not so surprising many of you applaud the one dimensional game of today and fear the thought of a player mixing things up

NYCtennisfan
07-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Mountaindewslave -- in certain limited situations, yes, the shot could be effective, but the reason you see so little use of it (other than the fact that it would be hard to pull off consistently and the opportunity cost of a good first serve, particularly for a good server, is too great) is because you learn, at an academy, from your parents, wherever and from whomever, not to do it. You can do it while practicing, joking around, etc., but NOT when you play a competitive match.

Now, this doesn't mean that the underarm serve isn't legal, but if you grow up playing this sport, you absorb the fact that the de facto rules of the sport frown upon its use, and that whoever uses this tactic often will be told about it in the locker room and will not be held in any sort of esteem by his peers.

People can argue that this view is silly, antiquated, or whatever, but it is the view of the vast majority of those that play the sport and that was what Doug was pointing out.

HKz
07-22-2012, 07:59 AM
It is a tough shot to pull off first of all. I mean we all know if someone can hit a perfect drop shot from the baseline, it is instantly a highlight. Now imagine, you trying to pull this shot which has much less disguise since once the opponent sees you aren't tossing the ball, it is quite obvious. Sure, if you can make it, great shot, but really the repercussions of trying it ESPECIALLY on an important point are too great for it to be worth it. You'll be thinking to yourself, why didn't I just hit a regular serve, and the crowd might go against you in some cases. And you know for a fact commentators and reporters alike will be hounding you about it especially if you go on to lose the match. Mentally, just a really tough shot to execute. Who really practices that shot?

Dougie
07-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Thereīs really no reason for that aggressive tone. I never questioned the legimity of the shot, but one of the great things about this sport is that itīs ( at least to an extent)a gentelemens sport, and itīs not ALL about winning, there are thing you just donīt do on court.

he is right though, there is no value in what you replied to him. it is a mockery to judge whether or not he has played the game competitively or not; the fact is that it is legal to play the shot. If someone doesn't like it that is one thing, but to purely say that players shouldn't do it because it is sometimes considered a slight by the extremely unexpected nature of the whole thing is ludicrous.

It is entirely irrelevant if someone comments on here with prior experience of competitive play, nor would you have any idea of what their experience is. The shot has been done before in quite big matches so clearly SOME pro players find it appropriate at times which would contradict what you say about a general frowning upon.

The fact is that it is a risky shot to hit because if the opponent reaches it they will likely win the point, and because hitting an underhand serve just right is sometimes rather difficult.

It's legal, professional players have used it before, and it's absolutely ridiculous that some of you (regardless of your experience) think that it's a shot that is worth being offended by. I have no idea how you must feel when a player wins a point off of a net chord, maybe spend a good deal of time with tissues and tears.

It would be a clever thing to use in today's game, but it is not so surprising many of you applaud the one dimensional game of today and fear the thought of a player mixing things up

Like NYCtennisfan said, looking at the replies in this thread its pretty obvious that some have played the game competitively and some havenīt. To anyone who has played it, itīs obvious that you just donīt use that shot, at least not if you want to be respected after the match. Yes, it has been used by some pros, but the reason itīs not used more is that most of the players donīt want to insult their opponent. Comparing this with net cords that are unintentional strokes of luck ( or bad luck) is pointless.

Mountaindewslave -- in certain limited situations, yes, the shot could be effective, but the reason you see so little use of it (other than the fact that it would be hard to pull off consistently and the opportunity cost of a good first serve, particularly for a good server, is too great) is because you learn, at an academy, from your parents, wherever and from whomever, not to do it. You can do it while practicing, joking around, etc., but NOT when you play a competitive match.

Now, this doesn't mean that the underarm serve isn't legal, but if you grow up playing this sport, you absorb the fact that the de facto rules of the sport frown upon its use, and that whoever uses this tactic often will be told about it in the locker room and will not be held in any sort of esteem by his peers.

People can argue that this view is silly, antiquated, or whatever, but it is the view of the vast majority of those that play the sport and that was what Doug was pointing out.

This is exactly what I tried to say. I suppose it sounds like a stupid and ridicilous thing to those that have not played the game themselves, but to those that have, itīs pretty clear.

latso
07-22-2012, 12:25 PM
This shot is not yet banned because it's not often used and it's not often used becaused it is stupid as it gives you no advantage in the point.

In 90% of the cases the returner will be at the ball on time to execute you like a pigeon.

If it would have been a shot that gives advantage to the server it would have been more often used, would have made the game look like a clownery and the ATP would have banned it in no time.

Simple as that.

TBkeeper
07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
5 things
1 - it is LEGAL
2 - it isn't cheap
3 - it isn't clownish
4 - it isn't a coward shot
5 - it is a gentleman shot just like every other shot

SVK
07-22-2012, 12:47 PM
That shot wouldnīt be banned even if it would be used, wasnīt underarm serve the one which was used in the past actually? In that case the one who came first with this "normal" serve was cheating back then? If I understand tennis properly you have to win the point/match, I actually never saw a lost rally after underarm serve which went in, so as long as itīs used as a surprise move I have no idea where the problem is...Someone else can actually start to argue that between the legs shot should be banned because in tennis itīs not normal to hit a shot betweeen the legs?

Orka_n
07-22-2012, 12:48 PM
People whining about the underhanded serve now?

This shot is very much legit and also less embarrassing to the opponent than for example Fed's (and Funky Flo's) FH slice/fake dropshot.

Underhanded serve works fine as a change-up on the serve. It is a shot that creates drama. Should be used more often imo.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 01:58 PM
It's true and the fact that it is legal is a glitch in the rules.

Just like in table tennis, it should be legit to hit a serve only if the ball has made a certain height in the air.

Just because the oponent can't be ready for such kind of shot and despite that this is the point of the surprising serve, it would be just as "legit" to serve fast while the oponent is still whipping his face with the towel facing back to the net.

That's the same as the under arm serve imo.

If one is able to make a drop shot serve with a ball thrown in the air as for a normal serve, then it's cool, but otherwise it's just kinda cheating.

I'd expect such serves from Benoit Paire in the future, he is the kind of wild tennis player with no respect for unwritten rules :)

This is the absolute dumbest reasoning I've ever heard. Are you actually suggesting there should be a minimum height requirement for a ball toss? A serve is a shot where you toss the ball in the air and hit it. It isn't a glitch in the rules that it is legal. In order for it to be illegal, they would have to write up the most contrived, nonsensical sounding rule of all time.

Would you also propose banning sidearm pitchers in baseball? Would you propose that a guy that normally doesn't throw side arm can't mix it up and throw side arm on occasion?

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 02:02 PM
First of all it is hardly a shot that would give you a better advantage than a good first serve. So it is like a mockery of the oponent and this is counted as trying to destabilize him, just like getting a medical break out of nowhere, or faking an injury, etc.

That's just a stupid shot that would get you killed by the oponent in 8 out of 10 times.

You can't make a good drop shot from this position, so it's just useless and annoying.

If it's so useless, then why would anybody bother banning it?

Fact is, you're analysis is self-contradictory and nonsensical. Lots of shots are meant to trick your opponent. You don't have to tell them where you're going to hit it before you hit it.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 02:11 PM
This is exactly what I tried to say. I suppose it sounds like a stupid and ridicilous thing to those that have not played the game themselves, but to those that have, itīs pretty clear.

This is so weak. Defending your position by saying that the people who disagree with you don't play tennis. That is the type of position people take when they can't think of anything substantive that isn't completely retarded.

Weak dude.

I play tennis, and I've used it before, and I would definitely be sure to use it against you if I played you. just so you could see me laughing at you.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 02:15 PM
This shot is not yet banned because it's not often used and it's not often used becaused it is stupid as it gives you no advantage in the point.

In 90% of the cases the returner will be at the ball on time to execute you like a pigeon.

If it would have been a shot that gives advantage to the server it would have been more often used, would have made the game look like a clownery and the ATP would have banned it in no time.

Simple as that.

Your analysis isn't simple at all. It's convoluted and it makes no sense.

It's not banned because it's rarely used? Wrong.
If it were used more it would be banned? WRong.

It will never be used a lot because it is a trick shot. And it will never be banned because it fits within any non-convoluted and contrived definition of what constitutes a serve.

Dougie
07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
This is so weak. Defending your position by saying that the people who disagree with you don't play tennis. That is the type of position people take when they can't think of anything substantive that isn't completely retarded.

Weak dude.

I play tennis, and I've used it before, and I would definitely be sure to use it against you if I played you. just so you could see me laughing at you.

Thatīs not what I said, donīt twist my words. I said that those who have played the sport competitively, seem to have a better understanding of why it is considered as an insulting. If I played against you, you could use it as much as you like, because I already consider you a jerk, underarm serve wouldnīt change a thing.

And learn to use the multiquote-function, this many posts of aggressive bs is just weak. Dude.

Looner
07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Thatīs not what I said, donīt twist my words. I said that those who have played the sport competitively, seem to have a better understanding of why it is considered as an insulting. If I played against you, you could use it as much as you like, because I already consider you a jerk, underarm serve wouldnīt change a thing.

And learn to use the multiquote-function, this many posts of aggressive bs is just weak. Dude.

Although I don't agree with the notion that the underhand serve should be despised, it does seem that it's frowned upon in the pro circles. I can't really know as I don't play even as an amateur but it's one of those things in sport.

For example, in cycling attacking during in the so-called feeding zone (the place of the stage where you get food given to you in bags when you pass by) is seen as low and unprofessional conduct.

I wish it wasn't though :(.

Cosmin24
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Tactically and technically one must consider the following:
- the underhand serve is almost like a drop shot: there is the element of surprise and disguise.
- you have to understand that if your opponent is quick enough you will be attacked at the net, or worse it could be an easy put-away for an experienced opponent.
- you should consider moving up to the net otherwise if your opponent gets to it early he/she has many angles to place the ball to.
So, in summary, the underhand serve is exciting to execute but you will be put in two situations:
- either make it a winner (the returner doesn't get to it - he's taken completely by surprise) or a shot your opponent barely gets to it - which you are attacking.
- or if it is not taking your opponent by surprise you are on defense.