Will Tsonga win a Grand Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Tsonga win a Grand Slam

nazzac
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
My first thread & Post on this forum. I want to talk about my favourite player, Jo Wilfried Tsonga.

Do you think he can or will win a Grand Slam in his career?

Mark Lenders
07-20-2012, 08:22 PM
You have an awesome favorite player, welcome to the forum! And allez Jo :D

Can't say for sure, but I think he can. He's been improving a lot and is still pretty young (27yo, but only 320 matches on tour) and should have more chances. If he keeps improving his backhand and making strides in other parts of his game, I think he could.

I hope he will, Jo winning a Slam would be awesome for tennis :D

His best chance would be at Wimbledon in a very rainy second week. His tennis is awesome in the first week but suffers in the second week due to the grass turning into clay; under the roof, though, he'd be very tough to beat. Even outdoors, he has a chance. USO, he should have a few chances too.

nadejda
07-20-2012, 08:25 PM
he has to believe that is possible first and then go for it
sadly when reading his interviews it seems he is missing the first part, so no

Federer in 2
07-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Tsonga will never win a Grand Slam.

Alex999
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
first of all, welcome to the forum. to answer your question, I doubt it, but you never know. He might def. one of the top 3 guys + Murray but to go all the way ... don't think so. He is not consistent enough, and he is prone to make some silly UE at big points. what I mean is that you'll see him hitting some great winners followed by some strange UE. but again, never say never ... everything is possible :).

another problem is, as nadejda said, not sure there is enough self belief. same thing with Murray and everyone else on the tour not called Djokovic, Federer or Nadal.

hipolymer
07-20-2012, 08:47 PM
no

Mr. President
07-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Short answer to this question http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120530015843/villains/images/3/37/Impossibru.jpg

Looner
07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm inclined to say no, unfortunately.

GSMnadal
07-20-2012, 09:04 PM
He might win WTF.

Wimbledon, if it rains 2 weeks straight, who knows?

Nole Rules
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe.

GSMnadal
07-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Maybe.

Exactly, yes or no it is.

/thread

xelena
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
If the right circumstances come along, he can win. And of course if he keeps this level of play and energy.. so far he's doing very well , last year at the wimbledon he kicked out federer before SF and he had someone else but Novak who knows what could have happened. . he really deserves his no5 spot

Alex999
07-20-2012, 09:26 PM
If the right circumstances come along, he can win. And of course if he keeps this level of play and energy.. so far he's doing very well , last year at the wimbledon he kicked out federer before SF and he had someone else but Novak who knows what could have happened. . he really deserves his no5 spot
Isn't Ferrer ranked #5 :confused:?

Litotes
07-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Tsonga is a player with huge capacity, his challenge in winning a slam will be to play well seven matches in a row. Or at least play well the entire second week. Can he do it? I believe he can. He has several opportunities to do so, only RG seems unlikely. Could happen anywhere else if things align for him. He has multiple wins over all the top players. And with no signs of the ones born in the 90s being ready to take over, a couple of more experienced players could easily pick up slams as the top three eventually dominate less.

TennisMilan
07-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I really like him a lot and hope he can, I think the Us or Wimbledon would be his best chance.

shadows
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
No =(

He could, but the top 3 are so good and consistent across the slams that everything needs to work out right in terms of Jo being really on his game and the others being off theirs for it to happen.

With that in mind I think given consistency and health he's unlikely to actually claim a slam =(

Mark Lenders
07-20-2012, 09:57 PM
No =(

He could, but the top 3 are so good and consistent across the slams that everything needs to work out right in terms of Jo being really on his game and the others being off theirs for it to happen.

With that in mind I think given consistency and health he's unlikely to actually claim a slam =(

Don't be so negative man. Jo is improving and might still have his best years ahead of him given his limited mileage on the tour.

He will surely have more chances to capture a Slam.

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I feel like he is insanely talented but not smart. He doesn't know when to pick his moments and it's the little things that he suffers from which are the things that are needed to get over that hump from QF/SF visitor to GS winner. Take his game at Wimbledon against Murray for example...0% 2nd serve for nearly 2 sets lol and then he plays his game and gets back in it only to give it away again. I also think he lacks mentally..not so strong. He is so gifted that he could win a GS just with his skills if the circumstances are good.

TigerTim
07-20-2012, 10:44 PM
No. Unfortunately his match vs. Murray at Wimby illustrates this.

Andi-M
07-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Good question. He has the talent to beat any of the big guys on grass or HC so its possible i mean Del potro did it - crazy-hot on Tsonga can definately win a slam.

I wouldn't put money on it though i think I'd be inclined to say No, if pushed for an answer. Hope i'm wrong Jo-willy is awesome player plays tennis the right way and brings so much personality to the court! (he's also very gorgeous!)

Roamed
07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
If Delpo can, Tsonga can.

viruzzz
07-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Djokotardz hating Tsonga... Oh, what a surprise.

Haterz gonna hate.

Of course he will.

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Del Potro's brand of consistent power tennis is far more suited to the current conditions than Jo's all-out attacking tennis.

Del Potro is not necessarily more talented than Tsonga, but that's the reason he has a Slam and Jo doesn't, and also why he will probably end up with the far better career when both call it a day. Jo was born a few years too late.

MuzzahLovah
07-21-2012, 12:10 AM
I hope so, but the strangle hold at the top seems as bad as ever.

incube
07-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Maybe Wimbledon, in fact this year it could be a good year to do the surprise.
In other surfaces I like more the changes of other players like Raonic or Delpotro.

cmoss
07-21-2012, 01:14 AM
His problem is consistency.He often up and down the whole match.:o

BroTree123
07-21-2012, 01:51 AM
I hope so, but realistically and sadly... no :sad:

Slade
07-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Maybe Wimbledon or USO if he can manage to get Murray or Del Potro in the final. Maybe he would have a small chance if Djokovic was in the final of Wimbledon :shrug:

HKz
07-21-2012, 05:26 AM
He definitely can but he most likely won't. The top players expose his game too often, and even if he can get past one of them, he certainly won't get past 2 of them let alone three. He is merely always going to be a dark horse and one of the players the top players don't want in their section.. Just ask Roger, Andy, Novak, and Rafa, they have all lost to him at a slam at one point, and the surface doesn't even matter with Tsonga.

Smoke944
07-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Short answer to this question http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120530015843/villains/images/3/37/Impossibru.jpg

good first post...

TBkeeper
07-21-2012, 06:32 AM
He can win a slam if he stops clowning around with monfils dancing....

Clay Death
07-21-2012, 06:36 AM
tsonga continues to improve.

lets wish him the best.

shadows
07-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Don't be so negative man. Jo is improving and might still have his best years ahead of him given his limited mileage on the tour.

He will surely have more chances to capture a Slam.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic.

In a period where the top 3 can be relied on to win almost everything, and #4 is good for at least the semis most of the time, you have to have a particularly great second week because even if you beat one of them like Jo has done before, you're going to have to go through one or two more afterwards...which he hasn't (T_T).

If Delpo can, Tsonga can.

I think they're rather different players tbh. While they both hit the ball damn hard, when DelPo is really on he's almost metronomic in his consistency whereas Jo will hit ridiculous winners for a bit but you know he's almost certainly going to make a few errors and give his opponent a look in somewhere.

If Delpo is playing at a high level he sustains it much easier imo, if he can get back to his pre-injury form I can much more easily see him sustain it than Jo for instance.

Mystique
07-21-2012, 07:13 AM
I am with the majority here. its unlikely Jo wins a slam in this era, unfortunately. He has such a fabulous game when on and definitely can nab one if he maintains that level across a fortnight but he can be such a headcase some times so its unlikely.:o

DjokerFan3
07-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Sadly, I can't see it happening :sad:, too bad since I love watching Tsonga play, it's a pity that he's just too inconsistent. As previous posters have said, he'll most likely have to beat 2 or 3 of the Top 4 guys to win a slam, so far he's never managed to beat 2 of them back-to-back.

Well at least he has beaten each of the Top 4 guys once in a slam, only he holds that record for now.

Would be damn thrilled for him if he does win a slam one day! :)

henke007
07-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Will Nadull ever win the WTF??

JMan22
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately I don't think he'll win one. He's improved drastically over the past couple of years to get into contention, but I can't see him winning one. His game is best suited to Wimbledon so he has a chance of that, but even when Federer's not around and it's just Djokovic, Nadal and Murray I think he'll struggle to win one, which is a shame considering he probably could have in another era.

Burrow
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I've never seen him play as well as he did at the Australian Open in 2008. He doesn't move as well as he once did and his backhand is a consistent weakness, particularly defensively. Because of his attacking game style, he's prone to the odd flash of brilliance in all facets of his game, but don't let that distract you from the bigger picture like other MTF members have been.

Too liable to a weak performance over 7 matches and I'm not sure he has the mental strength required any more after his dismal performance in the first two sets against Andy Murray and the way he folded in the first two sets against Djokovic after serving for the first. He brought both matches back, to then practically throw in the towel when it really mattered.

Then there's his absolutely abysmal return, which needs no explanation.

I wouldn't totally write him off though, when his serve is firing, he's quite unbreakable and when he's in that sort of mood, his game clicks.

Orange Wombat
07-21-2012, 12:56 PM
My first thread & Post on this forum. I want to talk about my favourite player, Jo Wilfried Tsonga.

Do you think he can or will win a Grand Slam in his career?

You have a great choice as favorite player :D

I think he will win just one, but time is running out :unsure:

Allez Jo!

Fed fordawin
07-21-2012, 01:00 PM
If he has onoly one top 4 to beat to win the title, then yes. Otherwise no, I can't see him beat more than one in a tournament.

Roy Emerson
07-21-2012, 02:25 PM
No.