How do you think Nadal's season remainder will unfold? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How do you think Nadal's season remainder will unfold?

fsoica
07-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Since CD, the master of doublespeak and double standards here, on MTF, asked for a next question (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12232422&postcount=141) in the Fed. vs Nad in slams in the future thread, here it is, another hot topic of the day (imho, of course):

Now we know officially that Rafa is offline for almost 6 weeks in a row. His followers (and also a big bunch of rational posters) always argued that, usually, his results from Canada 'till the end of the season are most of the times sub-par, judging by Rafa's standards, due to fatigue and surfaces. Fatigue was, though, mentioned as the main issue. And usually (except 2009) was mentioned on a rational basis.

2009 season begged to differ in this regard, having in the front row of debate the injury argument. Now, in 2012, we don't know how serious he is/was injured, but missing the Olympics is a very bad sign in this regard. Anyway, 6 weeks should provide enough rest and, possibly, enough medical care.

Taking into account all of the above, how do you think Rafa's remainder of 2012 will unfold? Sub-par north American HC season or something else (do you think a 2nd USOpen victory is possible)? A remarkable indoor season at the end of the year or the usual stuff? Will he win his first TMC?

What are your hopes (as a fan/non-fan) and your reasonable thoughts (as a reasonable MTF poster) regarding Rafa's last 5 months of 2012?

Ash86
07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I don't think this will be like 2009 -- then he had tendinitis from early on in the year - even in Australia (Rotterdam was terrible but he played through pain...) - he didn't listen to his body and really wrecked his year. The confidence took a long time to get back.

This time the problem, though taking a bit longer to heal than usual, is one he knows well by now. He has an existing plan to deal with it (the PRP injections, massage and rest) - it's a case of waiting it out. Then he missed a grand slam worth 2000 points and had lost RG in the 4th round -- this time he won RG for the 7th time having beaten his greatest current rival for the third time this season. Missing the Olympics hurts because of the loss of the chance to carry the flag, not the competition itself as he already has a medal -- the points he's missing are a maximum of 750 - nothing like that 2009 Wimby withdrawal.

So mentally he's in a different place (better family situation too) and he knows his body and injuries better. Once he gets over the disappointment I think he'll train hard and be a contender at the US Open and at least one of the HC masters. If anything he'll have more motivation for the 2nd half of the year than the last few years where he was really burnt out. Of course Nole, Fed and Andy have slightly better chances overall on HCs, but Nadal once he's in the groove will always have chances. I think he'll have a better 2nd half than in 2009 or 2011.

My hopes, as a fan, is the US Open title. My realistic expectations are SFs at least of the US Open and perhaps finally the WTF - he has to go all out at some point and target it like he targeted the US Open - why not this year? End the year on a high after some setbacks. He can play good tennis on that surface (see 2010 match vs Murray) - just needs to work hard!

Litotes
07-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Well, from what I can see I think it most likely that he gets a normal second half of the season. Normal for him.
As his clay season was more or less standard, his exhaustion level should be similar to previous non-Olympic years. Any gain from a short Wimbledon looks to have been wiped out by pain and injury.
Only five of his 50 titles has come in the tournaments left in his season, two in Toronto, one in US Open, one in Tokyo and one in Madrid back when it was in Shanghai's current slot. So that's five titles from seven seasons. Normal would then be one or zero titles. His best chance should be Toronto, assuming he is healthy then, both because it is historically his best remaining tournament and also because the draw is expected to be easy - some top players are bound to drop out if the Olympics go well for them. US Open will be the second best chance, as he is certainly one to peak for slams.

Clay Death
07-20-2012, 06:42 AM
nobody really knows what is going to happen at this point.

i will take the davis cup win for spain and call it a year if it means he will be healthy, fit, hungry, and ready for 2013.

for me anyway its health before anything. i really dont give a fuck about anything else.

good health and longevity in the sport is the most important thing to the real sports fans.

the rest should take care of itself. he is good for 2-3 more french opens and quite possibly another wimbledon.

that is more than enough glory for one man with terrible knees.

Clay Death
07-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Since CD, the master of doublespeak and double standards here, on MTF, asked for a next question (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12232422&postcount=141) in the Fed. vs Nad in slams in the future thread, here it is, another hot topic of the day (imho, of course):

Now we know officially that Rafa is offline for almost 6 weeks in a row. His followers (and also a big bunch of rational posters) always argued that, usually, his results from Canada 'till the end of the season are most of the times sub-par, judging by Rafa's standards, due to fatigue and surfaces. Fatigue was, though, mentioned as the main issue. And usually (except 2009) was mentioned on a rational basis.

2009 season begged to differ in this regard, having in the front row of debate the injury argument. Now, in 2012, we don't know how serious he is/was injured, but missing the Olympics is a very bad sign in this regard. Anyway, 6 weeks should provide enough rest and, possibly, enough medical care.

Taking into account all of the above, how do you think Rafa's remainder of 2012 will unfold? Sub-par north American HC season or something else (do you think a 2nd USOpen victory is possible)? A remarkable indoor season at the end of the year or the usual stuff? Will he win his first TMC?

What are your hopes (as a fan/non-fan) and your reasonable thoughts (as a reasonable MTF poster) regarding Rafa's last 5 months of 2012?

are you sure you are not talking about yourself?

i am the most objective person here.

fsoica
07-20-2012, 06:46 AM
My hopes, as a fan, is the US Open title. My realistic expectations are SFs at least of the US Open and perhaps finally the WTF - he has to go all out at some point and target it like he targeted the US Open - why not this year? End the year on a high after some setbacks. He can play good tennis on that surface (see 2010 match vs Murray) - just needs to work hard!

WTF is a reasonable target. He will achieve it, maybe even this year. This would be the last accolade on a great CV (only Agassi managed to win nearly everything until now: all slams, DC, WTF, 7/9 AMS, Olympic singles Gold). I must admit that, if it's to happen, I hope it will not mean going through Federer to do it :)

Jverweij
07-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Well the only positive thing for Rafa is that he will be alot more rested now than he usually is. This might finally give him a shot at the WTF. Though this being his worst surface, with the toughest competition will still make it a hard one to win.

It is very hard to predict really. If he can squeeze in a few wins he will gain confidence, and he will be a threat for the major tournaments. If he loses 1 or 2 early rounds, he will be in trouble. Rafa is as much a confidence player as anyone and the injury will probably make him doubt a bit the first few matches. Either way, it will be tough for him.

fsoica
07-20-2012, 06:57 AM
i am the most objective person here.

Of course, this title could not go to a statistician or some Hewitt-lover, without any personnal feeling involved in the nowadays tennis rivalries. It must be you :devil:

I must say that your efforts for showing objectivity are commendable. As long as all the posters would try to sound fair as much as you try, MTF would be a better place.

But human nature will always resurface our true feelings. When one loves a tennis player that is continuously mentioned in the present debates (and I am not talking especially about you and Rafa, could be me with Federer, or, since I am low profile poster here, let's say masterclass and Federer), no matter how much that poster tries, he will never be able to completely hide his true feelings. And I think it's not desirable to do it.

So, as a conclusion, why try so hard to impose such a double standard? To achieve "MTF" peace? To keep the tards at bay? To have a classy image? It beats me, I must admit...I just don't get it.

Sorry for the long off-topic post.

sylacauga
07-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I think it will go as well as can be expected. Right now, he's probably sitting at home during the day eating Bon bons and catching up on Spanish soap operas. At night, I suspect he's having a few too many and chasing as much tail as he can when Lalo's not looking. Ah, the tortured life of a 26 year old tennis superstar.

shiaben
07-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I wonder what is going through Rafa's head. Pretty interesting.

Last year after the U.S. Open he looked in disbelief because it seemed as if Djokovic had completely figured him out (I don't blame him either if such a thing happened to me, it's not easy to stomach to back to back final losses).

Then comes the Australian Open and he really grit the hell out of that final, really pulled some ridiculous tricks out of the hat, but choked it away on a match point to a mentally solid Djokovic who just loves breaking opponents to death. He was happy that he at least was able to keep the final competitive. Which showed improvement. He was a little bit upset that he choked it away because it would have looked nice on that resume to get another hard court slam count.

So then comes Roland Garros. If he were to lose here he would have lost belief COMPLETELY (think about it 4 slams in a row). But instead he wins, holds firm, enters Wimbledon and gets upset (which is kind of a waste of a slam for him because Wimbledon and Roland Garros are his better opportunities).

So IMHO he'll do whatever he can at the U.S. Open. He won't be pissed off if he loses early or late. He'll use it as practice and get some vital experience out of it. Won't push his body too hard. Come 2013 he'll be physically and mentally prepared for the year.

Roger the Dodger
07-20-2012, 08:13 AM
I expect him to do very well in the USO series. If he doesn't, its a chance missed. But come indoor season, things might be different though he could pull a win at Thailand or Tokyo.

leng jai
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Undefeated until the end of the season until he loses in the WTF final.

shadows
07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
It'll be pretty much like last year, but he'll probably manage to pick up a title somewhere since he's going to be well rested.

I don't think his injury issues will affect him in the slightest, he pulled out at the last minute because there was obviously a chance he might be able to play at the Olympics, so I'd expect by the time the big events are back in full swing he'll be hurtling around the courts completely fine.

I'd still expect Djokovic to win most stuff, Fed to win a bit less (depends on Fed's olympics, I reckon he'll have a slow month or two after though), and Murray to mop up with Nadal when the top 2 aren't playing well.

Rafa is the GOAT
07-20-2012, 09:23 AM
He can win Toronto if he is healthy since I expect most top guys to make a good run at the Olympics and though the trasition from grass to HC not has hard as Grass to Clay, they still won't be fit. So he has a good shot if he is fully recoverd and playing well.
Cinci is always harder but who knows he might do really well, I expect a trip to the SF at least.
USO is his main goal and I hope he peks during the second week and serves like this years WIM, also hopeband think that he'll win it.
Beijing is quit hard to win with likes of Berdych, Djokovic, Ferrer and Tsonga. don't know why he is not playing Tokyo so I expect a SF trip and maybe a win if he plays well and has beaten Nole in USO so he's confident woud be a fun final
Shanghai is hard again, if Nole and Fed pull out again he should go on and win the title, if not I expect a run to the SF with a prospect of more
Paris, I don't even know if he'll play because it's a week away from the WTF, but if he plays he shouldn't be too hard on himself, just reaching the QF/SF is fine and it's something I expect
The WTF should be his main goal in the indoor season, I really hope he wins and if he plays really well and with a bit of luck, he might be able to win it
DC: I just know that Spain will win and that he won't lose a match if he plays.

buzz
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Best chances are at Toronto and USO I think. I don't know what to think about his injuries... After Wimbledon he seemed positive about being fit for Olympics, now he won't play citing no new injury I don't know what to think.

Looner
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
As I've said, one of (probably two) of USO and Toronto are a lock.

Fed Muzza Killer
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
hopefully it'll be like 2009
and hopefully 2013 wont be like 2010

Then it's all over and tennis will be saved ...

henke007
07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Karma will put him against Rosol at the US OPEN R1

duong
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think this will be like 2009 -- then he had tendinitis from early on in the year - even in Australia (Rotterdam was terrible but he played through pain...) - he didn't listen to his body and really wrecked his year. The confidence took a long time to get back.

This time the problem, though taking a bit longer to heal than usual, is one he knows well by now. He has an existing plan to deal with it (the PRP injections, massage and rest) - it's a case of waiting it out. Then he missed a grand slam worth 2000 points and had lost RG in the 4th round -- this time he won RG for the 7th time having beaten his greatest current rival for the third time this season. Missing the Olympics hurts because of the loss of the chance to carry the flag, not the competition itself as he already has a medal -- the points he's missing are a maximum of 750 - nothing like that 2009 Wimby withdrawal.

So mentally he's in a different place (better family situation too) and he knows his body and injuries better. Once he gets over the disappointment I think he'll train hard and be a contender at the US Open and at least one of the HC masters. If anything he'll have more motivation for the 2nd half of the year than the last few years where he was really burnt out. Of course Nole, Fed and Andy have slightly better chances overall on HCs, but Nadal once he's in the groove will always have chances. I think he'll have a better 2nd half than in 2009 or 2011.

Despite his obsessional mistake that Nadal haters=Fed-fans (and that the classiest of them are classless :lol: ), Ash86 has given the best information, even great ones, about Nadal and most likely situation.

I can add that Nadal is still in competition for the year-end-number 1 this year (Fed, Djoko and him nearly start from the same line), which is different from 2009 and 2011, and that will surely also impact his motivation, at least until the US Open.

What's not good however is that his knee problems seem to have appeared this year even more chronically than before, even though now he has a treatment. But there are not so many tournaments left until the end of the year.

Anyway, I think that this second part of the year is not easily predictable for anybody as I think there are more dangerous players than previous years, and Djokovic and Fed don't give the best guarantees at the moment either.

TigerTim
07-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Toronto: Final
Cincinatti: Quarter Final
US Open: Semi Final (Loses to Djokovic)
He can win if he gets Fed and Muzzah beats Nole - not unlikely, although even then Fed and Muzzah back to back for Nadal at the USO will be a huge challenge

Then he takes a nice rest

Shanghai: Semi/Final (Loses to Murray, GOAT at Shanghai)
Valencia 500: Win
Paris: Quarter Finals
World Tour Finals: Semi Finals (Can lose here to Fed, Djoker, Murray, Berdych and Tsonga imo)

Points won: 400+500+360+720+180+600= 2760-3000

Lleyton_
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Ash86 :facepalm: Somebody please find this poor girl a boyfriend so that she can stop defending her imaginary boyfriend Nadal by writing essays in every thread.

Just like heaven
07-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Toronto: Final

He won't play there. If all goes well his first tournament will be Cincinnati.

Rafa is the GOAT
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
How do you know that
toni said that he'll be at 100% for USO

Just like heaven
07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
How do you know that
Toni said so in a radio interview. Rafa will rest for at least 15 days according to his doctor.
toni said that he'll be at 100% for USO
That's what he's hoping for but it's not a fact.

andylovesaustin
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
It's difficult to say how Nadal's season is going to go. It really all depends upon his physical and mental states. If his style of play is hampered by his chronic knee issues, then it's going to affect his confidence.. and confidence is extremely important in tennis obviously. Plus the other players are slowly learning they might be able to "get" to him--that he is not as mentally tough as he might appear.

I wanted to post something about Nadal withdrawing from the Olympics. I don't have anything against Rafa. But I can understand both sides of the debate, whether a person trusts Rafa's motivation or not. Ultimately though, if he didn't feel like he compete due to injury, mental fatigue, confidence, desire, fear--whatever the reason, then it was better for him to pull-out. For a variety of reasons, why go there, and then lose in the first round?

Let somebody else go who would enjoy the entire experience--win or lose.

duarte_a
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
It's difficult to say.

But I expect nadal to come out all guns blazing in the US Open and toronto and cincinnati (if he plays them).

I have a hard time believing nadal's injuries simply because he often skips matches or tournaments because of injury and then comes out and plays like there's no tomorrow.

I really thought he would play Toronto to try and vulture a non-clay title given that Roger and djokovic might skip it in case they go far in the Olympics.

If indeed he skips toronto then I will believe he really has a serious injury in which case the rest if the season might be really poor.

I'll be waiting to see if he plays in toronto or not.

jrm
07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
one tournament, seeing he cannot do anything at the moment and end of the season

mooncreek
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
My suspicion is that the knees will take a pounding from the hard court and it won't be as good as Rafa fans believe. If you eliminate the Olympics, it's basically the same schedule Rafa always has, except the knees start the hard court swing worse than usual, leading to less confidence. Sounds as if he'll be lucky to make the semis of the US Open.

After the US Open, Rafa should make it a goal to modify his game for a run at WTF.

JurajCrane
07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Will he play Toronto at all ? I really doubt that.

tennizen
07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Will win Toronto, SF in Cincinnati. SF in USO.

Then QF, SF results until WTF. Final in WTF.

Roy Emerson
07-20-2012, 03:03 PM
He has not won a title outside of clay in almost 2 years, so the rest of the year looks fuzzy for him.

RForever
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
No way he gets to WTF final or wins it. He got to finals only once in his best year. SF will be success.

GSMnadal
07-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Toronto will have a Bercy feel to it, none of the top guys will take it too seriously. Murray is the only one of the top 4 who I can see winning there, he usually wins stuff after the big prizes are dealt out.

finishingmove
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
He's gonna win 1-2 masters and go deep at the USO

iriraz
07-20-2012, 04:23 PM
It`s really tricky.On paper his best chances are at Toronto and Us Open but the first tournament is just a week after Olympics.If he wasn`t able to play Olympics,like he said,what`s to expect basically a week later.Also last year he lost in his first match in Canada.
Cincinnati is not his tournament so if he would reach semis it would be a success.
Us Open should be his main goal and if he doesn`t do well there then it`s tough to see a big result the rest of the year.In Asia he had a couple of bad losses last few years,indoors at Paris he usually doesn`t play and at the WTF he could reach semis/finals but he isn`t a big favourite in any match there,so any result from final to 0-3 in the group stages is possible

tyruk14
07-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Last four of most of the events he enters.

Johnny Groove
07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
He needs to focus on USO and WTF, any other event is useless at this point, nothing more than warm ups.

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Honestly...my hopes have died for the most part. I think Nadal is reaching the end.
Many haters think he fakes it and all but it really seems very serious I mean it was always serious but not THIS serious. His knee didn't look fine at Wimbledon there was more to it and I had a hunch. Sad for the game. Get well soon Rafa, i hope you can heal and come back stronger.

Whiznot
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
It will unfold as usual--with sneering, snarling, cheating, whining, butt picking and clownish behavior.

Allez
07-20-2012, 05:50 PM
We do not know the extent of his injury. If he is just being cautious (a good enough reason to pull out of London for someone who has already won gold), then we could see him doing incredibly well in the 2nd half of the season. He will be well rested for the American hard court swing. Toronto should be in the bag as none of the top players will have recovered from London. Cincy is anyone's to win (it will be tough for him to win these back to back) but I think Murray and Nole would have to be favourites there. Rafa will then be fully fit and with sufficient match practice and having played less tennis than his major rivals will snatch the USO. That has to be the reasoning behind skipping London. He wants to focus on winning the USO.

I don't know what he plans to do after the USO but I would suggest that unless the number 1 ranking is on the line, he should just skip everything and play one tune up tournament for the WTF. Given his history there, Roger's probably favoured to win that one. 3 titles including the USO would not be bad at all considering what he's been through. That is a very conservative estimate. I expect him to win more than that this year given that fatigue is not an issue but will certainly be an issue for the other guys.

Roger the Dodger
07-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Any two among these four are his best bets:

1. Toronto
2. USO
3. Tokyo
4. WTF

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 06:05 PM
It will unfold as usual--with sneering, snarling, cheating, whining, butt picking and clownish behavior.

Are you really 63 years old ? If so..I feel for you.

Honestly
07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Everko is falling.

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Any two among these four are his best bets:

1. Toronto
2. USO
3. Tokyo
4. WTF

USO and WTF no way. Federer will win WTF I think and even USO or USO might go to Novak depends on Federer. I like Nadal a bit more though I like em both just one a bit more than the other but Federer is back to his old form which says a lot about a guy 31 years old...much respect to him.

I love Nadal but I also like to be realistic. Even if Nadal is 100% which he isn't he never won outside RG since 2 years. Even 100% healthy he wasn't a favorite for USO and never for WTF.

Just my opinion though..I could be wrong.

Litotes
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
3 titles including the USO would not be bad at all considering what he's been through. That is a very conservative estimate. I expect him to win more than that this year given that fatigue is not an issue but will certainly be an issue for the other guys.

Three titles would certainly not be bad, considering his career achievements so far. You are predicting an all time best post-Wimbledon/Olympics part of the year for him and calling it "very conservative". I am not sure the Olympics are as draining as it would seem you are suggesting, after passing up Toronto I expect the top players to be in more or less the same shape for Cincy and beyond as they were last year.

Slade
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
USO final

Honestly
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Honestly...my hopes have died for the most part. I think Nadal is reaching the end.
Many haters think he fakes it and all but it really seems very serious I mean it was always serious but not THIS serious. His knee didn't look fine at Wimbledon there was more to it and I had a hunch. Sad for the game. Get well soon Rafa, i hope you can heal and come back stronger.

I don't know why people on this board keep adressing me. It's a strange phenomenon about this place.

Roger the Dodger
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
USO and WTF no way. Federer will win WTF I think and even USO or USO might go to Novak depends on Federer. I like Nadal a bit more though I like em both just one a bit more than the other but Federer is back to his old form which says a lot about a guy 31 years old...much respect to him.

I love Nadal but I also like to be realistic. Even if Nadal is 100% which he isn't he never won outside RG since 2 years. Even 100% healthy he wasn't a favorite for USO and never for WTF.

Just my opinion though..I could be wrong.

Frankly I put up USO and WTF because I do see him giving his best in both. Toronto and Tokyo, both I expect him to win hands down. Really, he should. What excuse does he have?

Roger the Dodger
07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know why people on this board keep adressing me. It's a strange phenomenon about this place.

You got a cousin called Frankly? :aplot:

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 06:15 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/16hvhhv.gif

Honestly
07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
On topic, things are not looking good for the clay warrior king. It's only expected that with the way he plays he won't be able to walk when he is 30. It's got nothing to do with having bad knees. If he is smart he will cut down on his schedule considerably. Not playing the OG is a smart move. He already has the gold in singles. He should play the USO hard court season and then also cut back heavily on his indoor season. He is shit indoors anyway. Then start over next year with a reduced schedule.

Honestly
07-20-2012, 06:18 PM

:lol:

Roamed
07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Uncle Toni apparently says here that Rafa hopes to make it back in time for Cincy, which would be a shame as he'd miss a good chance to take Toronto - http://t.co/3QyIDp0O

(I think I remember reading somewhere today that this isn't the worst injury he's ever had, it's just badly timed, does anyone else remember that?)

Johnny Groove
07-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Well if he has to withdraw from Canada, then he must.

DJ Soup
07-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Toni said Nadal's probably starting at Cincinnati

samanosuke
07-20-2012, 07:57 PM
so rafaelito playing canada ? so much about the injury. week after olympics playing on surface where one match damaging the ankles more than entire grass court tournament

JMan22
07-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't think he'll really struggle like in 2009. I doubt he'll win the US Open but I think we'll see a gradual improvement from him for most of the year and he'll be really strong again next year.

r2473
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
i think he'll try his best like always but will have to play really well to have a chance against such a great player, no. ;)

mikkemus23
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
He`ll win everything, even WTF.
It`s on ;)

tommyg6
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
according to twitter, Uncle Toni is saying Rafa will return at Cincinatti, not Toronto.

Lazyking
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
No titles or finals.

MTwEeZi
07-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Frank Ly? :shrug:

HKz
07-20-2012, 08:45 PM
If he comes back for Cincinnati might do him bad.. He isn't really the type of player that comes back from vacation or whatever full steam ahead, he needs quite a few matches under his belt, and Cincinnati is going to be a huge ask from him considering that is his worst MS event. The courts at Cincy play much too fast for him to be able to sink his teeth into a good form. Canada is much more likely for him to get some matches and find some form. If he comes back for Cincy, I give his chances at the US Open extermely low.

Honestly
07-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Frank Ly? :shrug:

No one asked you. Everko is falling.

Tomatoes11
07-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Depends on how his body reacts to the steroids.....

I kid I kid.

Alex999
07-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't know, it depends how healthy he is going to be for the Amercan HC swing. The only thing is, with all respect to Nadal fans, the board is really getting overflown with this type of threads about Nadal, 'will Rafa do this, would Rafa do that kinda a thing?' ...

Ash86
07-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Uncle Toni apparently says here that Rafa hopes to make it back in time for Cincy, which would be a shame as he'd miss a good chance to take Toronto - http://t.co/3QyIDp0O

(I think I remember reading somewhere today that this isn't the worst injury he's ever had, it's just badly timed, does anyone else remember that?)

Toni said he's had worse injuries but this is the toughest blow (emotionally I guess) because of what he's missing. It's a slightly different injury (different tendon I think) but one they know how to deal with - just wait it out - thought they'd have enough time to recover but it wasn't to be.

He also said that the doctor's have said 15 more days of "no sporting activity" for Nadal - don't know if that means totally not picking up a racquet at all or what. If that's the case he won't be practicing till a few days before Toronto anyway so probably would skip it. Toni said something to the effect of they hope to be back by Cincy but haven't set a date - will let nature take its course as there is no reason to rush the healing process anymore, like there was before. I too think Toronto was a good opportunity this year but looks like he'll go straight to Cincy. In some ways, one HC masters rather than two is better for his body, but Cincy is his worst US masters... Tough one to get match play on - could get upset early.

After today's comments my expectations for this year are low-ish - somewhere between 2009 and 2011 results. But overall career expectations mainly unchanged - this is not a new situation and all signs from the Nadal camp are that the only bad thing is the timing. Even his friend talked to the local press saying it's a chronic injury that he can deal with - he's more upset by missing out on the Olympics. His tweets today included the statement "I look forward to dedicating many more titles to you" (to a fan who obviously wished him well) -- doesn't seem like someone despairing their career is over...

TBkeeper
07-21-2012, 07:24 AM
If the doping goes well then the season will be good :shrug:

Ash86
07-21-2012, 07:26 AM
If the doping goes well then the season will be good :shrug:

The funniest thing about this post is you're a Davydenko fan -- how's the match fixing these days?! :wavey:

TBkeeper
07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
The funniest thing about this post is you're a Davydenko fan -- how's the match fixing these days?! :wavey:

It's going well , why ? :D

Allez
07-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Three titles would certainly not be bad, considering his career achievements so far. You are predicting an all time best post-Wimbledon/Olympics part of the year for him and calling it "very conservative". I am not sure the Olympics are as draining as it would seem you are suggesting, after passing up Toronto I expect the top players to be in more or less the same shape for Cincy and beyond as they were last year.

It's not just the Olympics. Losing to Rosol will have given him an extra week to rest. In the past fatigue has been a major issue for him. Clay is such a demanding surface. Dominating on that surface and then either winning or being the runner up at Wimbledon left him limping into the 2nd half of the season. That won't be an issue this year ;)

The Olympics won't affect his rivals ?? Well it's all cumulative. For someone like Roger -> Wimbledon + Olympics + Toronto + Cincy + USO...well that is a lot of tennis. He won't have had his usual post Wimbledon break and don't forget the age thing. In any case Roger's not someone Nadal would worry about fatigue or no fatigue. Nole is and I think you may be right that by Cincy he'll probably be fine. He is 25 and should have recovered to at least push Rafa very close should they meet there and at the USO. Still unless proven otherwise (i.e. no USO win) I think pulling out of London gives him the advantage :)

Litotes
07-21-2012, 09:53 AM
The Olympics won't affect his rivals ?? Well it's all cumulative. For someone like Roger -> Wimbledon + Olympics + Toronto + Cincy + USO...well that is a lot of tennis. He won't have had his usual post Wimbledon break and don't forget the age thing. In any case Roger's not someone Nadal would worry about fatigue or no fatigue. Nole is and I think you may be right that by Cincy he'll probably be fine. He is 25 and should have recovered to at least push Rafa very close should they meet there and at the USO. Still unless proven otherwise (i.e. no USO win) I think pulling out of London gives him the advantage :)

I agree W + OG + T + C + USO is too much, that is why I am convinced many (definitely Fed) will drop Toronto. Playing OG instead of Toronto shouldn't make too much difference, in my opinion. As for Nadal, you are more optimistic on his behalf, I fear the injury will be as draining as a late W run would have been. But one never knows beforehand - we will see. It is definitely going to be an exciting second half of the tennis year, I am looking forward to it :)

sweetkit
07-21-2012, 09:58 AM
No titles or finals.
This.

Ash86
07-21-2012, 10:03 AM
This.

Such confidence - love it. :worship: Let's see - never count him out. Even in 2009 with torn abdominal he got to the US Open semis - and recently US Open seems easier for him than even Wimbledon in terms of getting through earlier rounds - so should get to SF at least and maybe even F. Last 4 US Opens - SF, SF, W, F - would not be surprised to see him win again.

sweetkit
07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Such confidence - love it. :worship: Let's see - never count him out. Even in 2009 with torn abdominal he got to the US Open semis - and recently US Open seems easier for him than even Wimbledon in terms of getting through earlier rounds - so should get to SF at least and maybe even F. Last 4 US Opens - SF, SF, W, F - would not be surprised to see him win again.
Same goes in your address, mate.:awww:

masterclass
07-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Toni said he's had worse injuries but this is the toughest blow (emotionally I guess) because of what he's missing. It's a slightly different injury (different tendon I think) but one they know how to deal with - just wait it out - thought they'd have enough time to recover but it wasn't to be.

He also said that the doctor's have said 15 more days of "no sporting activity" for Nadal - don't know if that means totally not picking up a racquet at all or what. If that's the case he won't be practicing till a few days before Toronto anyway so probably would skip it. Toni said something to the effect of they hope to be back by Cincy but haven't set a date - will let nature take its course as there is no reason to rush the healing process anymore, like there was before. I too think Toronto was a good opportunity this year but looks like he'll go straight to Cincy. In some ways, one HC masters rather than two is better for his body, but Cincy is his worst US masters... Tough one to get match play on - could get upset early.

After today's comments my expectations for this year are low-ish - somewhere between 2009 and 2011 results. But overall career expectations mainly unchanged - this is not a new situation and all signs from the Nadal camp are that the only bad thing is the timing. Even his friend talked to the local press saying it's a chronic injury that he can deal with - he's more upset by missing out on the Olympics. His tweets today included the statement "I look forward to dedicating many more titles to you" (to a fan who obviously wished him well) -- doesn't seem like someone despairing their career is over...

By "sporting activity", my guess is that the doctors mean no tennis, no jet skiing, no golf, no football, etc., anything that would might put any added stress on the knees other than normal walking. He's been known to casually participate in some of these activities in the past even while recovering/resting from injury, so maybe that's why they had to say it.
Edit: Thanks for the additional info :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Roy Emerson
07-21-2012, 03:44 PM

He would need a very nice draw like in 2010. Also to find that 2010 serve, didn't get broken until the final, IIRC. Looks though. He is coming from injury plus lost momentum at Wimbledon. Pretty much the stars to align like at the USO 2010.