Spain and USA are countries with most players in Olympics 2012 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Spain and USA are countries with most players in Olympics 2012

mbest
07-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Total players (both men and women):

Spain, USA: 12
Russia: 10
Czech, Germany, Britain: 8
Argentina, France, India, Italy, Poland: 7

Men:

Spain, USA: 6
Argentina, France, India: 5
Brazil, Britain, Russia, Serbia: 4

Edit: Spain replaced Nadal with Marc Lopez and is therefore also at 12. Monfis out for France which brings them down by one.

Lazyking
07-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Too bad the men's in singles have no shot at a medal.

mbest
07-20-2012, 03:01 AM
Of course the maximum number of players is 16 as that is the maximum number of spots in singles and doubles for each country. USA and Spain are the only countries using all 16 spots.

For the men, France, Spain, and USA have all 8 spots filled, with Argentina and Serbia at 7.

mbest
07-20-2012, 03:08 AM

The USA men have a lot of success in Davis Cup. I wouldn't count out Isner and Roddick.

cmoss
07-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Isner will destroy everything and go straight to the gold medal!:worship:

Clay Death
we have more than 500 athletes going to the olympics.

we should win the most medals too by that crude calculation.

that being said, i dont see any possibilities for medals in tennis on the men`s side.

Freak3yman84
The USA men have a lot of success in Davis Cup. I wouldn't count out Isner and Roddick.

Your thinking of the wrong Americans. Young is going to snap his incredible losing streak, and take home the title. While Harrison will definitely reach the finals :rolleyes:.

jjc225
07-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Which Germans are in the Olympics? Is Kohlschreiber in? There was some confusion as to whether or not he would make it. He did not qualify according to German rules before Wimbledon, but he made the quarters there and made it up to 21 nationally. Is he in or out?

cmoss
07-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Isner will become much stronger when he fights for his country.He will deliver full-powered kamehameha serves,absolutely nothing can resist.:rocker2:

mbest
07-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Which Germans are in the Olympics? Is Kohlschreiber in?

According to the ITF website, yes: http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/players/player-search.aspx#nG

Litotes
07-20-2012, 04:14 AM
that being said, i dont see any possibilities for medals in tennis on the men`s side.

The Bryans? Of course, they could run into an unusual (for the tour) and strong combination this time around too, but they are definitely medal contenders.

Litotes
07-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Your thinking of the wrong Americans. Young is going to snap his incredible losing streak, and take home the title. While Harrison will definitely reach the finals :rolleyes:.

A Young - Harrison final? Well, I hope you put a dollar or two on the result - imagine how you'll feel if it happens and you didn't. The odds should be excellent ;)

PS! You might want to wait until the draw comes out, they might be drawn to meet in the SF.

Freak3yman84
07-20-2012, 04:27 AM
A Young - Harrison final? Well, I hope you put a dollar or two on the result - imagine how you'll feel if it happens and you didn't. The odds should be excellent ;)

PS! You might want to wait until the draw comes out, they might be drawn to meet in the SF.

Oh :haha: I thought you'd understand my sarcasm. Unless you were being sarcastic there? Oh well, sarcasm and forums don't go well with eachother :p

Litotes
07-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Oh :haha: I thought you'd understand my sarcasm. Unless you were being sarcastic there? Oh well, sarcasm and forums don't go well with eachother :p

I did realize you were sarcastic, I might be fairly new to the forum but I have noticed you as a serious poster, and one not prone to believe in miracles (or results with really long odds). Having a little fun now and then is always nice :)

HKz
07-20-2012, 04:44 AM

Isner on grass is very questionable against top players. Sure, he has had success in Newport, but that is no comparison. Honestly, Isner is much more dangerous on clay than grass. Sure his serve works great on grass like it should, but his poor movement gets exposed more on grass than on clay.

Roddick I would say could have a surprise run especially since this is best of 3 sets and at Wimbledon where the British crowd loves Roddick and would really pull for him. Plus, despite going out in the 3rd round to Ferrer at Wimbledon, he actually has shown many glimpses of his old form at both Eastbourne and Wimbledon. He was a bit unfortunate not to run away with that match against Ferrer, and had he won the match I think he could have beaten Del Potro pretty easily. Only issue I have with Andy is that he might be exhausted..

dencod16
07-20-2012, 04:58 AM
I think Spain might still have 12. They can still replace nadal in doubles. But i hope they replace the whole team with Verdasco and Marrero, because they are having a good partnership lately.

Jomp1
07-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Olympic tennis is not like Slams or even Masters where you mostly play for yourself. Having fellow countrymen athletes(both tennis and other sports) in the stands cheering for you makes it pretty special I assume. Three sets and grass will only help the underdogs further.

cutesteve22
07-20-2012, 05:56 AM
so? only Williams sisters have shot to win gold medal

latso
07-20-2012, 07:00 AM
so? only Williams sisters have shot to win gold medal
And the Bryans. That's about it

mbest
07-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Agree. But Olympics has had surprising results before.

Freak3yman84
07-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I did realize you were sarcastic, I might be fairly new to the forum but I have noticed you as a serious poster, and one not prone to believe in miracles (or results with really long odds). Having a little fun now and then is always nice :)

:D. That's funny, and very true. Weird, because in real life I'm very sarcastic and people have a lot of trouble taking me seriously :p

Whiznot
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Lay off the 'schrooms, Dude.

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Isn't that enough ? Most countries would wish for that many gold chances in one sport.
I mean most countries would be extremely happy with just 1 let alone 3.

Serena olympic gold, Williams sisters olympic gold and Bryan brothers. 3 possible gold medals for Tennis alone for one nation.

Freak3yman84
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Lay off the 'schrooms, Dude.

You see the Smily I used at the end of that? Well go ahead and hover your mouse over that and tell me what it says :p

Pratik
07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Isn't that enough ? Most countries would wish for that many gold chances in one sport.
I mean most countries would be extremely happy with just 1 let alone 3.

Serena olympic gold, Williams sisters olympic gold and Bryan brothers. 3 possible gold medals for Tennis alone for one nation.

Make that 4. Very good chance in mixed doubles too.

Be happy with what you have got i.e. an extremely good chance to get Gold in 4/5 events

Litotes
07-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Be happy with what you have got i.e. an extremely good chance to get Gold in 4/5 events

I think they'd trade all these for a favourite in the Men's singles. At least a young one. They are fine everywhere else for this year, but with all of their candidates above 30, they won't be for much longer without some fresh blood.

The Fearhand
07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Make that 4. Very good chance in mixed doubles too.

Which one is that ? Serena & ?

misty1
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
and the point of this thread is what?

dencod16
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM

good mixed doubles choices are Serena, Venus, Huber, Raymond partnering with the Bryan Brothers. They have a lot of choices i hope they make the perfect one as they can snatch 4 of the medals.

Pratik
07-20-2012, 06:52 PM

good mixed doubles choices are Serena, Venus, Huber, Raymond partnering with the Bryan Brothers. They have a lot of choices i hope they make the perfect one as they can snatch 4 of the medals.

I would think it would be Raymond/Mike and Huber/Bob(if they can send two).

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=464048
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=457695

tangerine_dream
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Some people thought the same in 2008 before Blake took Federer out of singles medal contention.

First-world problems: when winning one or two measly gold medals is considered disappointing by some.

iriraz
07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Regarding the men`s picks i don`t get why Young and Harrison are in this.If they played in Washington,they would have had a better shot in getting some wins and points under their belt.
With Isner u never know what to expect.He could get to the quarters/semis just with 7-6 7-6 scorelines but also lose in R1 like that.Roddick had shown some decent form in Eastborne and Wimbledon,but his fitness is questionable.
Regarding the Bryan`s,sure they are the biggest hope to get a medal but Olympic doubles is a bit of a lottery.There are lots of unpredictable teams with top singles players in it and on any given day, anything is possible.

Pratik
07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
First-world problems: when winning one or two measly gold medals is considered disappointing by some.

:haha:

nole_no1
07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Only Serena and Bryans to take medals

heya
07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
james blake is a fedbitch. he says federer had a bad day at the 2008 olympics. blake's sole reason for showing his dipshit face was to say "i was the beneficiary of the hero's bad day".

TigerTim
07-20-2012, 11:36 PM
who will win the most tennis medals, probably USA so I don't see why you guys are complaining. And the most Medals overall, I just hope the UK beats Aussie, those suckers can go back into hinding for another year, the satisfaction of beating convicts/the colonies is always great :p

mbest
07-21-2012, 09:37 AM
With Marc Lopez in for Nadal, Spain is tied again with the US. Monfils is out and brings down France's numbers.

Litotes
07-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Some people thought the same in 2008 before Blake took Federer out of singles medal contention.

Well, Blake still failed to get a medal....

The US has always been ambitious, true, but one must admit the singles are more prestigious than the doubles. And realistically speaking they have only one, solitary medal candidate in singles, both sexes combined. That is a record low for them by some margin, I believe.

TBkeeper
07-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Russia will get to a medal in men's singles i promise you :D

mbest
08-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Total players (both men and women):

Spain, USA: 12
Russia: 10
Czech, Germany, Britain: 8
Argentina, France, India, Italy, Poland: 7

With the Olympics done, how did the numbers play out?

USA got the most total medals (and most gold) with 4 (3). Spain with the same number of players got 0. Britain, Belarus, France, and Russia got 2, and Czech, Switzerland, and Argentina got 1.

http://www.london2012.com/tennis/medals/index.html

Litotes
08-07-2012, 05:45 AM
With the Olympics done, how did the numbers play out?

Yes, as usual the US got more medals, and are still not satisfied because there is one category out of five where they are not competitive.

Smoke944
08-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Yes, as usual the US got more medals, and are still not satisfied because there is one category out of five where they are not competitive.

By far the most important category, though ;)