Is this Nadal's smartest move yet? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is this Nadal's smartest move yet?

Roger the Dodger
07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
By not appearing for the Olympics, he loots early at the USO series. Toronto will be a lock, given all the top players would have smoked themselves on grass the previous week. His victory in Canada will boost him to do well in Cinci and an SF/F result should be great there.

Who knows, while the other players will be still finding their feet on fast hard courts, Nadal might have better rhythm and practice and go win Cinci for the first time!!! :yeah:

Obviously, he heads into USO as top favorite.
Props to Rafa and Tio Toni :yeah:

EliSter
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Is this stupidest thread and poster ever? No, but you are going in good direction.

henke007
07-19-2012, 07:55 PM
He should rest his poor worn out knees untill Monte Carlo where his next title will come.

ServeVolley
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I hope this is sarcasm. Nadal is not winning Cincy... and he's not winning USO either. :facepalm:

Alex999
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
By not appearing for the Olympics, he loots early at the USO series. Toronto will be a lock, given all the top players would have smoked themselves on grass the previous week. His victory in Canada will boost him to do well in Cinci and an SF/F result should be great there.

Who knows, while the other players will be still finding their feet on fast hard courts, Nadal might have better rhythm and practice and go win Cinci for the first time!!! :yeah:

I hope you are joking ... if not I'm worried about you :)

abraxas21
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
could be the case. nadal's injury is non existant after all. he's only faking it to dodge the AD Olympics control which is far more strict that anything in the ATP/ITF.

Jaz
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
The smartest move is that he keep his fake credibility on grass.

He's bailed on 2009 Wimbledon, Lost in 2011 Wimbledon, and would have lost at the Olympics on grass.

Commander Data
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Nadal does not make any moves that would be Toni.

Roger the Dodger
07-19-2012, 08:12 PM
The smartest move is that he keep his fake credibility on grass.
Yes, the lesser 'Rosol's he loses to, the more the 'fear'.

He's bailed on 2009 Wimbledon, Lost in 2011 Wimbledon, and would have lost at the Olympics on grass.

Similar patterns. Very true.

Jaz
07-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes, the lesser 'Rosol's he loses to, the more the 'fear'.

Similar patterns. Very true.

In fact he Bailed on 2009, Lost in 2011, Lost in 2012, Will lose in Olympics.

Nadal: no longer very good on grass.

abraxas21
07-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Nadal does not make any moves that would be Toni.

The OP refers to Toni in the thread titme

Is this [Toni] Nadal's smartest move yet?

Allez
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Don't know what you mean by smartest move because if he could he'd rather have played in London. This is common knowledge. However this could be a blessing in disguise for the cited reasons. Not calculated but a simple reality of the situation. This is the busiest summer in tennis history and one has to pace oneself to be in with a shout of grabbing the big one at Flushing Meadows.

Kiedis
07-19-2012, 08:25 PM
He was training all this year doubles only for the Olympics. He also asked insistently a month ago to be the flag-bearer of Spain. So his intentions were very clear (except for haters, obviously).

For Rafa USO is a lesser goal of the season. Perhaps his fifth or sixth goal.

Roger the Dodger
07-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Now with Olympics out of the way, its first priority.

Looner
07-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Good thread. Tio the Mastermind seems to be finding some form.

born_on_clay
07-19-2012, 08:49 PM

yeah sure, he will go and practise on a wheelchair :facepalm:

MTwEeZi
07-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Roger is the favourite no? Number one player in the world.

And Novak play unbelievabal here as well.

We gonna see.

Silvester
07-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't see Rafa winning anything on HC this year. Sure that one extra week of playing time for the other guys may cause some fatigue but you have got to be kidding me.

Roger the Dodger
07-19-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't see Rafa winning anything on HC this year. Sure that one extra week of playing time for the other guys may cause some fatigue but you have got to be kidding me.

You still haven't got it. The top guys - by which I mean a good 64 unless the Olympics are a 128 draw - will be on grass, and the best of them will skip Toronto, no doubt. The one's who are not playing the games will be at Washington grueling it out, making the best of their chances. So Nadal, fresh as a rose, will be at a surface he has won twice before, run into good form and start winning titles on hard again. As easy as 2+2 equals 4.

tealeaves
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I won't be surprised if he's faking an injury to peak in the States for the US HC season

TBkeeper
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Federer to spank Nadal in Toronto !

samanosuke
07-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Nope. The day he retires will be smartest one

Fed fordawin
07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Toni's pawns are moving slowly, one at a time...

Gagsquet
07-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I want OP weed. Good quality stuff.

duong
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
The thread is clearly exaggerated, but to be fair, as a Federer-fan, I'm not reassured by his withdrawal from the Olympics at all, I rather feel that yes, it's the good choice for Nadal if he can't be in good condition for the Olympics, and it may be a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, since I knew he had had injections after Wimbledon, and considering the 2-setters on "first-week" grass, I really didn't expect anything from Nadal in the Olympics.

My main concern is the US Open and the number 1-ranking and clearly for that, I think his current choice may be very good for Nadal.

Even though I hardly see him winning Toronto or Cinci, but who knows ? I believe more in him for the US Open.

JurajCrane
07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
If Nadal shows up in Toronto, it would be very strange.

I can see him skipping Rogers Cup (I mean Toronto Masters :p) and playing maybe only Cincy.

duong
07-19-2012, 10:30 PM
If Nadal shows up in Toronto, it would be very strange.

there are 10 days between : he just needs time to recover :shrug:

Commander Data
07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
The OP refers to Toni in the thread titme

Is this [Toni] Nadal's smartest move yet?

some things go without saying, my bad. :D

Johnny Groove
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe he will only get to QF/SF in Toronto.

I'd like to see him win Cincy for the first time, and take the title in New York.

Then again he may skip Toronto if he is not healthy, so who knows.

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 10:48 PM
He was training all this year doubles only for the Olympics. He also asked insistently a month ago to be the flag-bearer of Spain. So his intentions were very clear (except for haters, obviously).

That was before he was Rosoled at Wimbledon. It was time for Plan B after that. ;)

tennizen
07-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Didn't he lose in the second round in Toronto last year?

Litotes
07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Didn't he lose in the second round in Toronto last year?

That is correct, he lost to Ivan Dodig. A rare early exit for him in a season where he otherwise reached a lot of finals.

Next week he lost to Fish in the Cincy QF. Still reached the US Open final, though. He is not dependent upon great results in the warmups.