When will they be another good North African player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When will they be another good North African player?

Everko
07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I am tired of looking at rankings and seeing nobody from a whole region. Algeria would be best but I will be ok happy with a player from another north african country. I used to pull against players from Morocco and places. I pulled against Arazi and El Aynaoui when they played but now I want them back because it made tennis better for people in my region. I look at juniors and I dont see anyone. Not even Egypt.

When will there be another? And by good player I mean making deep runs in slams and challenging top players. Not a soulwitch man who just journeys around.

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 12:39 AM
how popular is tennis in northern africa?

i figure not much at all

but yes, it would be great to see tennis expanded to other regions. the main problem is that it's a highly expensive sport so it's no surprise that most tennis players come from places like europe, oz and north america. it's a sad situation, really.

even in north america, a place where black sportsmen thrive, tennis is virtually a sport with an overwhelming white majority. such is the nature of an elitist sport like tennis.

jcempire
07-24-2012, 03:01 AM

i figure not much at all

but yes, it would be great to see tennis expanded to other regions. the main problem is that it's a highly expensive sport so it's no surprise that most tennis players come from places like europe, oz and north america. it's a sad situation, really.

even in north america, a place where black sportsmen thrive, tennis is virtually a sport with an overwhelming white majority. such is the nature of an elitist sport like tennis.

well..

Black Sportsmen and Sportswomen are all over the world. Every Sport.... but maybe not from Northern Africa.

look at guys like Tsonga ...Blake....Moni

superslam77
07-24-2012, 04:12 AM

i figure not much at all

you said it not popular, why because it's not tradition over there.

tennis is an european sport, it was invented there...others have to adapt.

this is an individual sport, everyone can play it. no problem white people having/being majority in just one of a sport they invented for the world, that's your problem if you don't like :rolleyes:

i don't know what's that about elite and race topic...and north africans are mostly middle easterns and btw tsonga and blake are mixed people.

superslam77
07-24-2012, 04:18 AM
I am tired of looking at rankings and seeing nobody from a whole region. Algeria would be best but I will be ok happy with a player from another north african country. I used to pull against players from Morocco and places. I pulled against Arazi and El Aynaoui when they played but now I want them back because it made tennis better for people in my region. I look at juniors and I dont see anyone. Not even Egypt.

When will there be another? And by good player I mean making deep runs in slams and challenging top players. Not a soulwitch man who just journeys around.

you can become a tennis coach and train several prospects.

out_here_grindin
07-24-2012, 04:59 AM
guys like El Aynaoui and Arazi were kinda special talents. Can't expect those nations to start suddenly churning out the top 50 players.

Don't forget about Jaziri.

HKz
07-24-2012, 05:53 AM
guys like El Aynaoui and Arazi were kinda special talents. Can't expect those nations to start suddenly churning out the top 50 players.

Don't forget about Jaziri.

Arazi complete underachieved player.. Such beautiful strokes and had such great natural court sense.

Don't forget Karim Alami, he beat Sampras :p Actually IMO all three top Moroccans, El Aynaoui, Arazi and Alami underachieved, all three actually had quite a bit of potential.

tommyg6
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
those 3 moroccans were something else. they were like an anomaly.

RForever
07-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Don't forget Karim Alami, he beat Sampras :p

Don't forget Agassi who beat Sampras 14th times...

The Fearhand
07-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I think people from NA do not have the financial abilities to maintain their kids tennis activities which are expensive. When you compare it to the rest of the world there's a HUGE difference. I think if those kids had the financial security to participate in these sports i'm pretty sure we'd be seeing more succesful athletes especially regarding sports that are slightly expensive.

Apophis
07-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Mallorca is just 300 km from Algeria, you may count it as North Africa, or conquer it.

rocketassist
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
The Moroccans were such lively characters- Younes was loved by everyone and should have got the Edberg award, Alami was a fun personality and Arazi had such a fine game to watch, even if he was a bit of a dick wanting to be paid X amounts to play a DC tie.

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
when they stop killing each other? Lets be honest North Africa isn't in the best shape right now.

Nathaliia
07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
well, there is just jaziri, top 70... perhaps his career highest ability, but at least there's *something*

ons jabeur looks talented on the wta side

Helevorn
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Well, unfortunately in those countries there are much more serious issues rather than practicing tennis right now.. probably this is a major reason why there are few North African players on the tour..

RonaldGomez
07-24-2012, 06:46 PM
There's already Jaziri... and Ouahab :D

Speaking of, where is El Amrani, still injured ?

Pirata.
07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Ouahab is rising, be patient.

Backhand_Maestro
07-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Meanwhile South Asia is doing well in doubles, which given squash is popular there, isn't all surprising.

There's an Eypptian on WTA

Backhand_Maestro
07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Ouahab is rising, be patient.

He's 27, El Amrani best hope.

Orka_n
07-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Everko might rise