Was Sampras beating Lendl's weeks at no. 1 record a big deal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Was Sampras beating Lendl's weeks at no. 1 record a big deal?

fsoica
07-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I wonder how that moment in history (tennis' history) was presented in the media (did ATP have an website back then?) at the time when Pete reached 271 weeks at the top of the rankings? I don't remember anything, actually...Was it a big fuss or just no big deal?

Litotes
07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I wonder how that moment in history (tennis' history) was presented in the media (did ATP have an website back then?) at the time when Pete reached 271 weeks at the top of the rankings? I don't remember anything, actually...Was it a big fuss or just no big deal?

I sure felt it was a big deal.

spencercarlos
07-19-2012, 05:07 PM
It was big headline news back then, Sampras was on his quest for that back in 1998-1999, a years where a lot of players were number one, Pete was not exactly dominating, neither was he felt (by the tennis public) the number one besides his Wimbledon titles. But he did great to grab this thing at the time.

dencod16
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Internet wasn't big so it isn't felt as much as it is today.