Wimbledon date change confirmed beginning 2015 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon date change confirmed beginning 2015

dencod16
07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
The All England Club today confirmed that, following extensive consultation across the tennis and wider sporting world, The Championships’ dates will be moved back by one week with effect from 2015.

The change of dates will benefit the sport as a whole by creating a three week gap between the French Open and Wimbledon, a move which will allow the players a longer grass court season in the build-up to The Championships, and precious additional time to recover from the demands of playing Roland Garros and to prepare for Wimbledon.

Announcing the decision, Philip Brook, Chairman of the All England Club, said: “The best interests of tennis will be served by allowing the players more time to recuperate and to adjust from the clay of Roland Garros to the grass at Wimbledon. All our research indicates that there is widespread support within the game for extending the gap between the French Open and Wimbledon and, importantly, we think most players will welcome the prospect of a longer grass court season and spending more time on the softer surface of grass.

“In making this change from 2015 we recognise that there will be some important consequences for the overall tennis calendar and enough time needs to be given to allow us all to plan accordingly. In anticipation of the work required, I would like to thank our colleagues throughout the game for their enthusiasm and support for the vision of a tennis calendar that will better suit the needs of the modern day sport.”

Wimbledon 2015 will run from Monday 29 June to Sunday 12 July.

Source: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/press_releases/2012-07-19/201207191342698319697.html

tealeaves
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Well done.

Looner
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow, amazing. I hope they can get RG on board with this and get 4 weeks for grass. The surface deserves it.

motorhead
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
so there is gonna be one additional week of grass tourneys?

STUHL
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Now its time for a Grass tounament in hamburg. It could save the whole tournament!

duong
07-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow, amazing. I hope they can get RG on board with this and get 4 weeks for grass. The surface deserves it.

advancing Roland-Garros by one week would be quite dangerous as far as the weather is concerned.

Since my childhood in France, I've noticed that the weather often gets better in northern France (which Paris is part of) just around the date when Roland-Garros just starts.

duong
07-19-2012, 02:23 PM
so there is gonna be one additional week of grass tourneys?

surely, it's not only about moving Newport in-between because it would be a long trip to the US.

Looner
07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
advancing Roland-Garros by one week would be quite dangerous as far as the weather is concerned.

Since my childhood in France, I've noticed that the weather often gets better in northern France (which Paris is part of) just around the date when Roland-Garros just starts.

Well, I know it starts on that date for a reason but they should certainly considered the possibility. Wimbledon have gone ahead with the date change, so RG should make some effort as well. 3 weeks is good but 4 would be ideal.

duong
07-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, I know it starts on that date for a reason but they should certainly considered the possibility. Wimbledon have gone ahead with the date change, so RG should make some effort as well. 3 weeks is good but 4 would be ideal.

as far as the weather is concerned, it's surely easier to make the "effort" in Wimbledon's direction towards summer than in the opposite one ;)

Also it would have more impact on the previous tournaments than changing Wimbledon will have on following tournaments.

motorhead
07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Hamburg director said the grass experiment failed what are going to be the new grass tourneys?

rocketassist
07-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Paris' climate isn't much different from London's.

born_on_clay
07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
good decision :yeah:

Johnny Groove
07-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Very smart, it is a start, hopefully we can get one more week in the coming years/decades.

They ought to have a 1000 in the middle week, Newport to the week after RG. Most likely it will be:

RG
Couple 250 events
Halle and Queens, ideally at least 500's, but money talks so probably 250's
Couple more 250 events
Wimbledon

buzz
07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Wohoow!

Now I hope Halle and Queens won't be in the same week anymore!

rocketassist
07-19-2012, 05:45 PM
RG
Liverpool and Newport
Queens and Halle
Dublin and s'hertogenbosch
Wimbledon

Fuck Eastbourne off.

RForever
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
They could make Halle ATP500 as well...

Argenbrit
07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
A longer grass season?! About time!

Looner
07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
RG
Liverpool and Newport
Queens and Halle
Dublin and s'hertogenbosch
Wimbledon

Fuck Eastbourne off.

No grass masters?

rocketassist
07-20-2012, 03:21 PM
No grass masters?

Ideally yes but I don't see them taking one away.

MrExcel
07-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Gstaad wants to become a grass court tournament before Wimbledon:

http://swisstennis.ch/?rub=1&id=129087

Could anyone give a brief translation?

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Cut the crap - shanghai out and a grass masters, preferably outside of Bristol, UK :), in. Change Paris, Basel, Vienna, St Petersberg to carpet and hooray.

RNW
07-22-2012, 11:42 AM

Gstaad wants to change date (from July to June) and surface (from clay to grass).
There will be 2 new tournaments from 2015 on to prepare for Wimbledon on grass.
But probably more than two tournaments will try to get this spot, so it's not sure if it will be Gstaad or not.

They want to be a better tournaments with higher ranked players.
They are not happy at the moment to be one of the last clay court tournaments before the hardcourt season.

Chase Visa
07-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Great news about Gstaad. Given Hamburg wanted to change too, maybe we need a four week grass court season! :p

Chirag
07-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Did it say that hamburg wanted to become a grass event

Sombrerero loco
07-22-2012, 02:38 PM
good for tennis

duong
07-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Great news about Gstaad. Given Hamburg wanted to change too, maybe we need a four week grass court season! :p

According to this post from Eden translating the main parts of an article : http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12234460&postcount=7

the ATP asked Stuttgart and Hamburg to change to grass and become an ATP250 tournament before Wimbledon, but Hamburg declined for maintenance reasons and because they would be downgraded to ATP250.

Don't know about Stuttgart.

duong
07-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Apart from what has already been said, they say that Gstaad was the first tournament to apply to be a new grass-court tournament between RG and Wimbledon and "they are supported by the Wimbledon organizers".

About the schedule the article says "probably the second week (that is middle week) between the two slams" (don't know if it's just a guess from the journalist or what).

guga2120
07-24-2012, 02:55 AM
This is a good move. Hopefully there is a master series on grass, someday. They could cut Paris or Shanghai.

Jimnik
07-24-2012, 04:46 AM
About bloody time. Best news of the year.

Jimnik
07-24-2012, 04:54 AM
Now time for German tournaments to make the long LONG overdue switch to grass. No more excuses, DTB's clay monopolization has completely destroyed German tennis.

Jimnik
07-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Gstaad wants to change date (from July to June) and surface (from clay to grass).
There will be 2 new tournaments from 2015 on to prepare for Wimbledon on grass.
But probably more than two tournaments will try to get this spot, so it's not sure if it will be Gstaad or not.

They want to be a better tournaments with higher ranked players.
They are not happy at the moment to be one of the last clay court tournaments before the hardcourt season.
Absolutely fantastic decision. It's just a shame Federer will be well past it by then. I doubt they'll get the middle week if that's what they're aiming for.

Even better.

According to this post from Eden translating the main parts of an article : http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12234460&postcount=7

the ATP asked Stuttgart and Hamburg to change to grass and become an ATP250 tournament before Wimbledon, but Hamburg declined for maintenance reasons and because they would be downgraded to ATP250.

Don't know about Stuttgart.
That sounds absurd. So the ATP asked Hamburg to switch to grass and as a reward it would be downgraded even further. After what happened four years ago, I hope they gave ATP the middle finger.

If Hamburg makes the switch to grass, there's no question it deserves 1000 status.

Apart from what has already been said, they say that Gstaad was the first tournament to apply to be a new grass-court tournament between RG and Wimbledon and "they are supported by the Wimbledon organizers".

About the schedule the article says "probably the second week (that is middle week) between the two slams" (don't know if it's just a guess from the journalist or what).
Can't see it happening. The 2nd week will inevitably have the largest tournaments, with at least Open 500 status. Switzerland is a small country and already has a big event in Basel. Once Federer is gone there won't be enough financial power to support one Open 500 event, let alone two.

duong
07-24-2012, 09:06 AM
That sounds absurd. So the ATP asked Hamburg to switch to grass and as a reward it would be downgraded even further.

I think the ATP planned that if there are ATP500 tournaments in that period (I don't think there will be any MS1000 tournament), it would be the traditional Halle and/or Queens.

They just look for new ATP250 tournaments to complete the schedule.

As Hamburg had spoken about switching to grass, they just presented them the deal.

Anyway, it seems there are other reasons for Hamburg not willing to switch to grass, such as maintenance/money.

Jimnik
07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Anyway, it seems there are other reasons for Hamburg not willing to switch to grass, such as maintenance/money.
That's the point - grass is more expensive. No tournament will make the switch unless they're offered an upgrade to attract better players and more income.