Djokovic-reveals-major-changes-from-the-2014-season a shorter year and smaller balls [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Djokovic-reveals-major-changes-from-the-2014-season a shorter year and smaller balls

bounccer
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Despite the season this year concluding two weeks earlier than usual, Novak Djokovic reveals that in future the schedule could be pruned at a later stage:

"The programming is very important and it's nice to see that all are working to change the season from 2014. We should have the same goal achieved by the girls, about two months of rest. The men's tennis at the moment is highly competitive and itís not easy to play a series of important events within a few weeks. You must be at 100%. Rafa and I played for six hours in Australia, rallies in modern tennis have become longer. "

The Serb has also added:

"All of our sports talk now is focusing on changes that have been made in recent years. Technology continues to advance. What's the next step? It 's interesting to talk about it. In this period we are discussing the size of the balls: making them smaller may be beneficial for the body. We will see what the decision will be."

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Novak-Djokovic-reveals-major-changes-from-the-2014-season-a-shorter-year-and-smaller-balls-articolo4963.html

I don't know what to think, it could increase the rapidity of the courts but i'm being sick about the infinite whines from the tops players.

duong
07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
the news about the ball is interesting,

but about the schedule, it looks like what we had already talked about and what Nadal had revealed he had proposed : the WTF just after the US Open and the end-of-year indoor season afterwards being only composed of not-mandatory tournaments, with probably only a few top-players.

I think it's a pity because the indoor tournaments will be limited to their minimum, and when you think of the tennis from the 70s to the 90s, that's unbelievable : first they erased the carpet, now that :sad:

Anyway, Nadal and Djokovic and probably the Americans (to spend more time in the US) and a bunch of players who prefer slow courts want that, then I really felt it would happen :shrug:

But still to me, it's a pity :sad:

That + the young generation not looking good at all it doesn't look bright to me for the future of tennis.

henke007
07-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Smaller and faster balls and bring back carpet.

duarte_a
07-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Despite the season this year concluding two weeks earlier than usual, Novak Djokovic reveals that in future the schedule could be pruned at a later stage:

"The programming is very important and it's nice to see that all are working to change the season from 2014. We should have the same goal achieved by the girls, about two months of rest. The men's tennis at the moment is highly competitive and it’s not easy to play a series of important events within a few weeks. You must be at 100%. Rafa and I played for six hours in Australia, rallies in modern tennis have become longer. "

The Serb has also added:

"All of our sports talk now is focusing on changes that have been made in recent years. Technology continues to advance. What's the next step? It 's interesting to talk about it. In this period we are discussing the size of the balls: making them smaller may be beneficial for the body. We will see what the decision will be."

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Novak-Djokovic-reveals-major-changes-from-the-2014-season-a-shorter-year-and-smaller-balls-articolo4963.html

I don't know what to think, it could increase the rapidity of the courts but i'm being sick about the infinite whines from the tops players.

Yes rallies have become longer but that stupidity of tennis played in the matches between nadal and djokovic are their own fault. Not to mention half of the time is ball bouncing and butt picking.

Roger can finish a 4 set match quicker than nadal a 3 set match. djokovic and nadal want the tour to bend over to them. Tennis is bigger them. If they want they can try and become more agressive and play attacking tennis.

duong
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Smaller and faster balls and bring back carpet.

they surely don't want to bring back carpet : they want nomore to play indoor tennis !

Imagine in february of the top-4 players only Fed played an indoor tournament.

If the WTF is right after the US Open and the end of the year only optional as they want, they will not play an indoor tournament during the whole year apart from the WTF ... and as long as the WTF is still played indoors, because in september they could surely play the WTF outdoors.

The logical choice would be to play the WTF in Asia, as what they say would mean nomore Shanghai Masters 1000 tournament

... and in Asia in that time you can surely play outdoors !

sweetkit
07-19-2012, 11:28 AM

"The programming is very important and it's nice to see that all are working to change the season from 2014. We should have the same goal achieved by the girls, about two months of rest. The men's tennis at the moment is highly competitive and itís not easy to play a series of important events within a few weeks. You must be at 100%. Rafa and I played for six hours in Australia, rallies in modern tennis have become longer. "

The Serb has also added:

Was sure this name appears at some point.:cool:

Looner
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Is this a joke? If this goes through, tennis is not getting any of my money in the future. They already have 1.5 months for rest.

I also love how both Djokovic and Nadull have no role in the Council but they still are asked on their opinions. If they want to have a position, take a post or GTFO. Annoying brats.

duong
07-19-2012, 11:45 AM
What do people who know tennis better than me think about the balls idea by the way ?

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 11:45 AM
The thread title is misleading which is not unusaul for the OP. :rolleyes:

Novak hasn't "revealed" anything. He just says they are "working towards", "we are discussing", "We will see what the decision will be". That's confirmation of nothing although he and the other players have every right to present arguments for improvements they feel are in their and the game's best interest.

People in here are stuck in a time-warp. A good sport has to continually change and evolve if it is to survive. Some people may want a return to fast courts and carpet but they are in the minority. The majority of the public want to see great rallies and supreme athletes. They are not interested in a servebots firing down 4 aces per game.

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
What do people who know tennis better than me think about the balls idea by the way ?
If smaller balls are proven to reduce the risk of injury then it's not a bad thing.

bounccer
07-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Check my link and you'll see that i have just past the title of the article.

If you could stop to smell my ass it would be good to.

Kiss

duong
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Novak hasn't "revealed" anything. He just says they are "working towards", "we are discussing", "We will see what the decision will be". That's confirmation of nothing although he and the other players have every right to present arguments for improvements they feel are in their and the game's best interest.

We are all working to change the season from 2014. We should have the same goal achieved by the girls, about two months of rest.

in this paragraph, it sounds like they really work for the calendar change

We are discussing
We will see what the decision will be.

it's in the paragraph about the balls

Burrow
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

People in here are stuck in a time-warp. A good sport has to continually change and evolve if it is to survive. Some people may want a return to fast courts and carpet but they are in the minority. The majority of the public want to see great rallies and supreme athletes. They are not interested in a servebots firing down 4 aces per game.

People like you bamboozle me. You say this sort of thing like fast courts ruled year round, when it wasn't the case. You're either ignorant, or you didn't watch tennis back then and have failed to do your research.

Looner
07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
People like you bamboozle me. You say this sort of thing like fast courts ruled year round, when it wasn't the case. You're either ignorant, or you didn't watch tennis back then and have failed to do your research.

I was going to point out his idiocy but I gave up. Since you did some of the job, I'll continue.

How is a sport that reduces its calendar and playing time of its major stars going in the right direction, eh? The fact the rallies are so long IS forcing them to cut the calendar short and is preventing Noledull from playing more tournaments with their usual intensity. So his thinking is so far from reality that I just wonder if he's trolling :shrug:.

Just look at the ratings of this year's Wimbledon final - forget the UK, they were up 50% in the USA where ESPN is a cable network.

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
The fact you think "research" is required to watch tennis sums you up I'm afraid. Tennis is a sport and it is to appreciated as such. If you want to do research, take up marketing. :rolleyes:

I have no interest in returning to the type of tennis players like Sampras and Ivanisevic used to play and it's exactly because of how unpopular it was becoming that they changed the courts to encourage more rallies.

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I was going to point out his idiocy but I gave up. Since you did some of the job, I'll continue.

How is a sport that reduces its calendar and playing time of its major stars going in the right direction, eh? The fact the rallies are so long IS forcing them to cut the calendar short and is preventing Noledull from playing more tournaments with their usual intensity. So his thinking is so far from reality that I just wonder if he's trolling :shrug:.

Just look at the ratings of this year's Wimbledon final - forget the UK, they were up 50% in the USA where ESPN is a cable network.
Someone still has a chip on their shoulder over how foolish they were made to look during the Nalbandian fiasco.

Love it! :haha:

As far as reducing the calendar goes, that's always going to be requested by the top players who think a longer off-season will benefit them and the game. You may disagree and the lower ranked players will not be in favour of it either as they need the extra points and prize-money but there is logic in their arguement.

Looner
07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Someone still has a chip on their shoulder over how foolish they were made to look during the Nalbandian fiasco.

Love it! :haha:

Are you okay? Is your memory betraying you? Or you just lack the capacity to address my point. That's understandable.

Also, lol at your preferences. Tennis has always been unique because it offers a variety of styles and surfaces. No other sport (or very few) have that. That's the sport's unique selling point. What has been done over the past 10 years diminishes it so much that this unique factor has almost become negligible.

The fact you keep talking about Sampras and Ivanisevic as if everyone played like them demonstrates the fact many in the UK only watch Wimbledon and know nothing about tennis in general. You do, but still want stupid long rallies even though they're so widespread in today's game :facepalm:.

fsoica
07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
It's laughable, really...a 31 years old has nothing against long schedule and the type of surfaces and balls that are a real advantage for the likes of Rafa and Djokovic, but the prime-ones, 25-26 years old, are complaining...come on, guys, if an old guy like Fed, a guy like Ferrer or guys like Haas and Hewitt (not the best choices, I know) have nothing against it, what can I say?

Burrow
07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
The fact you think "research" is required to watch tennis sums you up I'm afraid. Tennis is a sport and it is to appreciated as such. If you want to do research, take up marketing. :rolleyes:

I have no interest in returning to the type of tennis players like Sampras and Ivanisevic used to play and it's exactly because of how unpopular it was becoming that they changed the courts to encourage more rallies.

Well how else would you refer someone to learn about the sports origins? Would you prefer the term "look-up", sweetie?

Fast court tennis has been a part of the game since it began and to abolish it completely is ridiculous. Seems to me the ATP care more about money and the casual fan than of the sport itself, like it wasn't generating enough cash in the first place.

And yes, to the casual fan, such as yourself, the 3 months of the year with fast court tennis was just far too much to handle. Just because the casual fan doesn't like it, doesn't mean that it didn't require a unique skill in order to succeed in.

That is what tennis what it was, it was unique and it was interesting and it had variation. If you cannot appreciate the fact that there were different aspects in the game, with courts and thus styles, then you're far from any real fan of the sport.

dj_mercury
07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
"Rafa and I lost time for six hours in Australia,"

FYP

Sophocles
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Just fuck off.

sweetkit
07-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Djokovic and Nadal has no respect to the game. Their ideas will kill the sport.
Their motto is If you can't compete following rules, then change the rules. Talking about small balls, oh irony...

Chase Visa
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Saying "I" makes your argument invalid.

TBkeeper
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Don't make the balls smaller (facepalm) make the Hard courts Faster the grass more low-bouncing and the clay courts slower
Don't make everything muggish ...

Looner
07-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Just fuck off.

My sentiments exactly.

Snowwy
07-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Smaller balls should make shorter points, more winners, as long as they don't fluff them up like crazy. The US Open has the shittiest balls for that.

Johnny Groove
07-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Smaller ball may speed up the game and cut down on injuries, I say go for it.

Easier to do that than change the surfaces again.

Sapeod
Longer resting period? They get a month and a bit off already, I think that's more than enough.

bokehlicious
Next Noledal will only agree to play on clay/slow harcourts or they'll boycott the sport :shrug:

Shinoj
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Smaller balls are already prevalent in most of the players apart from the Top 3:tape:

duong
07-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Even if there hasn't been any final decision, one can feel that the reduction and nearly cancellation of the end-of-year indoor season is the direction we're aiming to anyway.

The ladies already stop earlier.

And this year, they have shortened the end-of-year indoor-season by one week and erased the week between Paris-Bercy Masters 1000 tournament and the WTF ... which will necessarily make most of top-players skip Paris-Bercy tournament.

There's a combination of interests which all lead to the same direction :

- the ones who don't like the indoor season (the world number 2 and number 3, who are aimed to be world number 1 and 2 for a while, and a bunch of other players). Carpet has already been erased before because of that ;

- the Americans who want to go back home earlier : the only player I had heard who had publically claimed for the suppression of the week between Paris-Bercy and the WTF was Andy Roddick precisely for that reason ;

- the demand which has always existed but even more today to get a longer off-season ... and there's no simpler way to do it than to work about that end-of-year indoor season ;

- even something else : the ATP is worried about the future of the ATP Tour : the young generations don't look bright then even the money interest of the ATP Tour is to keep Nadal and Djokovic for long on top of the Tour, if no young player can beat them.

I'm not sure that Ljubicic, who has been dismissed from the ATP Board, was in favour of that general evolution as he was a great indoor-player and was not especially in favour of the Americans' demands :lol:

But I remember that he said that the ATP was worried about the future of the Tour, when Fed, Nadal and Djokovic stop being on top of the Tour. They "needed to think about that". One way to still get more money is surely to let Djokovic and Nadal dominate the Tour for longer, that's why their demands are even more welcome by the ATP Board.

Besides, I think the smaller balls proposal (which seems to be much less certain than the calendar change according to Djokovic's words) is there to compensate the slowing down of the game in general, which is a concern of many people who watch tennis, and also a concern of players who get too tired.

nole_no1
07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Smaller balls? What about faster courts better? :confused:

Time Violation
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
It's laughable, really...a 31 years old has nothing against long schedule and the type of surfaces and balls that are a real advantage for the likes of Rafa and Djokovic, but the prime-ones, 25-26 years old, are complaining...come on, guys, if an old guy like Fed, a guy like Ferrer or guys like Haas and Hewitt (not the best choices, I know) have nothing against it, what can I say?

Lol, like Fed is just another average old tennis player :)

castle007
07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Even if there hasn't been any final decision, one can feel that the reduction and nearly cancellation of the end-of-year indoor season is the direction we're aiming to anyway.

The ladies already stop earlier.

And this year, they have shortened the end-of-year indoor-season by one week and erased the week between Paris-Bercy Masters 1000 tournament and the WTF ... which will necessarily make most of top-players skip Paris-Bercy tournament.

There's a combination of interests which all lead to the same direction :

- the ones who don't like the indoor season (the world number 1 and number 3, who are aimed to be world number 1 and 2 for a while, and a bunch of other players). Carpet has already been erased before because of that ;

- the Americans who want to go back home earlier : the only player I had heard who had publically claimed for the suppression of the week between Paris-Bercy and the WTF was Andy Roddick precisely for that reason ;

- the demand which has always existed but even more today to get a longer off-season ... and there's no simpler way to do it than to work about that end-of-year indoor season ;

- even something else : the ATP is worried about the future of the ATP Tour : the young generations don't look bright then even the money interest of the ATP Tour is to keep Nadal and Djokovic for long on top of the Tour, if no young player can beat them.

I'm not sure that Ljubicic, who has been dismissed from the ATP Board, was in favour of that general evolution as he was a great indoor-player and was not especially in favour of the Americans' demands :lol:

But I remember that he said that the ATP was worried about the future of the Tour, when Fed, Nadal and Djokovic stop being on top of the Tour. They "needed to think about that". One way to still get more money is surely to let Djokovic and Nadal dominate the Tour for longer, that's why their demands are even more welcome by the ATP Board.

Besides, I think the smaller balls proposal (which seems to be much less certain than the calendar change according to Djokovic's words) is there to compensate the slowing down of the game in general, which is a concern of many people who watch tennis, and also a concern of players who get too tired.

I am sorry.. can you say that again? I am not sure if you missed the last couple of weeks, but Federer is the number 1 player, and as far as I know, he is not too shabby indoors. :cool:

bounccer
07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes but if the balls are smallers, it's Nadal who is the most fucked, no? It is just terrible for his game, so i don't think he likes this.

Chirag
07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
I pray that the season is not short .The top players can rest all they want in this part and post WTF :rolleyes: In no other sport are the top players allowed rest in the middle of the season . Why do Nadal and Djokovic want to ruin this great sport :sad:

Chirag
07-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Longer resting period? They get a month and a bit off already, I think that's more than enough.

not to forget the one month right now .Thats 2.5 months rest

GOAT = Fed
07-19-2012, 01:10 PM
WTF is this shit?

If this proposal goes ahead then ATP will lose all credibility :o.

There are already many 'reasting' periods for the players during the year, not including the off-season.

First it was carpet to be scrapped and now possibly indoors. Very bad, very bad.

dencod16
07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Wait didn't Djokovic tooks like 36 seconds between points and Nadal like 45 seconds between points in average.

Chirag
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
WTF is this shit?

If this proposal goes ahead then ATP will lose all credibility :o.

There are already many 'reasting' periods for the players during the year, not including the off-season.

First it was carpet to be scrapped and now possibly indoors. Very bad, very bad.

Shorter balls might speed up the game ,so up for that but I for sure wont like the season to be short .What they can do is speed up the courts too which will allow shorter points too

dencod16
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
One thing to reduce the schedule is to minimize the Mandatory events. WTA top players are only required to play 10 events Slams, Mandatories, and 2 5 events wheres as the ATP are required to play 16 events Slams, 1000 (except for Monte Carlo), and 4 500.

Henry Chinaski
07-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Well how else would you refer someone to learn about the sports origins? Would you prefer the term "look-up", sweetie?

Fast court tennis has been a part of the game since it began and to abolish it completely is ridiculous. Seems to me the ATP care more about money and the casual fan than of the sport itself, like it wasn't generating enough cash in the first place.

And yes, to the casual fan, such as yourself, the 3 months of the year with fast court tennis was just far too much to handle. Just because the casual fan doesn't like it, doesn't mean that it didn't require a unique skill in order to succeed in.

That is what tennis what it was, it was unique and it was interesting and it had variation. If you cannot appreciate the fact that there were different aspects in the game, with courts and thus styles, then you're far from any real fan of the sport.

schooled.

duong
07-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes but if the balls are smallers, it's Nadal who is the most fucked, no? It is just terrible for his game, so i don't think he likes this.

maybe that's one of the reasons why it's only a proposal so far "we will see what the decision will be" whereas the other project seems to be more advanced ;)

I am sorry.. can you say that again? I am not sure if you missed the last couple of weeks, but Federer is the number 1 player, and as far as I know, he is not too shabby indoors.

yes I corrected that : Djokovic is nomore number 1 :lol:

GOAT = Fed
07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Shorter balls might speed up the game ,so up for that but I for sure wont like the season to be short .What they can do is speed up the courts too which will allow shorter points too
I don't know about shorter balls. I'd just like it if they sped up the courts as opposed to introducing something new.

Well, I don't know, maybe shorter balls will lead to more interesting tennis, if so, then I'm all for it.
One thing to reduce the schedule is to minimize the Mandatory events. WTA top players are only required to play 10 events Slams, Mandatories, and 2 5 events wheres as the ATP are required to play 16 events Slams, 1000 (except for Monte Carlo), and 4 500.

The problem is, playing 16 events in a year isn't quite a big ask. That's asking tennis players to play, on average, 1.3 tournaments per month ie 4 tournaments per 3 months.

That isn't bad at all. In fact that's a pretty good ratio.

finishingmove
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Smaller balls = more attractive tennis?

finishingmove
07-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Shorter balls = wut

aselto
07-19-2012, 01:46 PM

WTA players have to play 14 events actually.

EliSter
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Good for a game. Hope it happens soon.

Corey Feldman
07-19-2012, 01:56 PM
certainly has smaller balls since Fed dealt with him at Wimbledon

*finger wag*

TigerTim
07-19-2012, 01:56 PM
What a load of crud the ending of indoor is. The players can rest in December/bit of November, Spetember, July and February if they so wish. If in 2014 Nadull's plan works Federer will probably be the only player to play post September and he will be old by then! Only perhaps Djokovic for Murray will do a tourney or two. Small balls is good though, a move in the right direction

Corey Feldman
07-19-2012, 02:02 PM
the indoor season post US Open is the best time of the year, always has been

feuselino
07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
If they don't want to play 6.5h marathons they should reintroduce lightning-quick carpet pronto! Then even Nadal-Djokovic could finish their 5-setter under 4.5h, probably... ;)

Alex999
07-19-2012, 02:38 PM
you guys are creating so much drama here. Fed fans just love to abuse both Nole and Rafa no matter what they say, do or propose. It really pissing me off. all Nole said they were talking etc. it's not a done deal. I personally don't care about shortening the season. The fact is that both Djokovic and Nadal are tennis superstars ... so if they want to rest and play less they can always come up with some injury excuses or whatever (didn't both Djokovic and Fed skipped the Asian swing completely last year?). C'mon people are you really that naive.

The funny thing is many of you are talking about surfaces (speed them up etc) as if Nole and Rafa decided to slow down surfaces. Djokovic is not even mentioning anything about surfaces.

duong
07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Alex it's not only about Djokovic and Nadal, the most important is the change in itself, Nadal and Djokovic are surely a main source of that change (which looks likely from Djokovic's words) but they are surely not the only deciders here : I mentioned several factors in a previous post.

if they want to rest and play less they can always come up with some injury excuses or whatever (didn't both Djokovic and Fed skipped the Asian swing completely last year?). C'mon people are you really that naive.

Then why have Nadal and his uncle gossiped constantly about shortening the season and too many mandatory tournaments or whatever during all last years ?

you're right Nadal could have just done what you say and not gossiped, but no he hasn't done that : has played much more than necessary and gossiped/complained constantly, it's been years over and over !!

The funny thing is many of you are talking about surfaces (speed them up etc) as if Nole and Rafa decided to slow down surfaces. Djokovic is not even mentioning anything about surfaces.

precisely, the fact that quickening surfaces is not even mentioned is what many people are angry about.

Besides, top-players have clearly had an impact on slowing down surfaces even if they're not the only reason. We've often talked about that, no need to do it again.

Alex999
07-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Alex it's not only about Djokovic and Nadal, the most important is the change in itself, Nadal and Djokovic are surely a main source of that change (which looks likely from Djokovic's words) but they are surely not the only deciders here : I mentioned several factors in a previous post.

Then why have Nadal and his uncle gossiped constantly about shortening the season and too many mandatory tournaments or whatever during all last years ?

you're right Nadal could have just done what you say and not gossiped, but no he hasn't done that : has played much more than necessary and gossiped/complained constantly, it's been years over and over !!

precisely, the fact that quickening surfaces is not even mentioned is what many people are angry about.

Besides, top-players have clearly had an impact on slowing down surfaces even if they're not the only reason. We've often talked about that, no need to do it again.in

Duong,
I actually agree with pretty much everything you said. The thing about gossiping is, let's be honest here, the top 3 divas are not angels at all. The all said so many stupid things in their interviews that I disapprove or disagree with. I can give you a hundred of quotes from Nole, Rafa and Roger that were silly and annoying...

OK, speed up the courts, bring back carpet or whatever (which has nothing to do with the OP post btw)... I guarantee you that Djokovic, Federer and Nadal would be still winning everything left and right because they are that much better than the rest of the field.

finishingmove
07-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Making the balls smaller would be an attempt to make the game "harder" in the sense of it requiring more skill (hand-eye co-ordination), because it's mostly a physical endurance test now.

Obviously it will be better for some players and worse for some others. The game is constantly evolving.

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 03:29 PM

It amazes me when people call others "sweetie" then expect to be taken seriously. This isn't a knitting forum for grannies. :rolleyes:

Of course the ATP cares about making money because when it does that, it is an indication of the sport's success. The players care about this as well because the more successful the ATP is, the richer they become. Tennis is a business and even in a difficult market, it is an extremely successful one. It has achieved that by evolving and making choices that not everyone will agree with. There will always be dinosaurs waving their wooden rackets in the air, longing for the days of carpets, wooden courts and gut strings but they are in the minority.

If you don't like the direction tennis is going in then that's fine, it can survive without you. I'll let you get back to your knitting now "sweetie". All this talk of business must be making your head spin. :p

Looner
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Hypnotize, you need a very potent sarcasm detector.

coolfish1103
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I guess they just have to place more Monte Carlo's in to make this work? Probably work around the schedule and make the game run all year long to benefit some of the lower ranked players.

Run all 52 weeks with revised mandatory tournaments, something like...

- 4 Grand Slams
- 8 Masters (and have like 12 to 16 of them available to choose)
- 2 Additional

Then you can literally have indoor and carpet events right after US Open...

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Saying "I" makes your argument invalid.
I was giving my opinion, not stating a fact. The second half of my sentence only indicates it is an opinion shared by the majority. Maybe English isn't your first language but it was that complicated to understand. :rolleyes:

Hypnotize
07-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Hypnotize, you need a very potent sarcasm detector.
I treat all your posts as sarcasm, Looner. Every single one of them. ;)

EddieNero
07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Djokovic and Nadal will be both done by then I don't see how they could possibly benefit from this changes.

RForever
07-19-2012, 06:08 PM
I love tennis the way it has been last years, just can not see why it should be changed. It is doing pretty well, lot of fans, generating nice money, best players are recognized and well respected in sport world. The concern about future is because there is no young talent coming and I just do not understand how the smaller balls will turn some mug into technical wizard and global superstar.

If Nadal and Nole want shorter season, they can make it shorter for themselves. Generations of players have made it so they should too. And if they are so exhausted by their neverending matches it is only their problem. Why do not they move to lazy tennis with the sponge ball and plastic rackets? Their game is pretty close anyway.

Jverweij
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Jeez enough of this whining already. I usually try to be as constructive and objective as I can but in this case I find both Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal to be annoying crybabies. If you don't want 6 hour matches, why don't you try to hit a winner every now and then? or not bounce the ball for 25 seconds, or not pick your pants, hair, socks, and grip for 40 seconds? :shrug:

They win many matches because they wear people down. This is a great short-term strategy, but not so great in the long run. So just because they destroy their body, the rules have to be changed? the season shortened? Nonsense.
Besides, a shorter season will (again I might add) be really bad for upcoming players, or players that actually need the price money. Not to mention for us, the spectators. You know the guys and gals who are the sole reason the bloody pricemoney is so high to begin with. Why would we want a shorter season? It just means less tennis.

And ofcourse the indoorseason has to be the one that is affected.. I'm not even gonna go there.

These guys should learn the that you can't win everything. The schedule is fine the way it is, adapt to it, not the other way around.

sexybeast
07-19-2012, 07:27 PM
The tour obviously cant adjust to what benefits Nadal's and Djokovic's careers, they should look at the big picture instead of their needs.

The WTF moving down a week is already a stupid move, you cant have Paris and WTF back to back, Paris has lost enought status already.

Alex999
07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Jeez enough of this whining already. I usually try to be as constructive and objective as I can but in this case I find both Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal to be annoying crybabies. If you don't want 6 hour matches, why don't you try to hit a winner every now and then? or not bounce the ball for 25 seconds, or not pick your pants, hair, socks, and grip for 40 seconds? :shrug:

They win many matches because they wear people down. This is a great short-term strategy, but not so great in the long run. So just because they destroy their body, the rules have to be changed? the season shortened? Nonsense.
Besides, a shorter season will (again I might add) be really bad for upcoming players, or players that actually need the price money. Not to mention for us, the spectators. You know the guys and gals who are the sole reason the bloody pricemoney is so high to begin with. Why would we want a shorter season? It just means less tennis.

And ofcourse the indoorseason has to be the one that is affected.. I'm not even gonna go there.

These guys should learn the that you can't win everything. The schedule is fine the way it is, adapt to it, not the other way around.s
first of all, learn how to read. Djokovic wasn't really complaining about anything, he simply said that they were looking into different solutions etc. Nadal shouldn't be even involved in this conversation as he didn't say anything. And why wouldn't they want a shorter season? I'd like to get 6 weeks of holidays but I get only 4. Do you think you are so special that Djokovic, Nadal and Federer should be entertaining you 24/7? Do you realize that if the top 3 don't feel like playing a tournament, they don't have to (as I said earlier, they can always come up with some injury crap, they are simply too big, like it or not).

and, also, you saying that they win matches by wearing people down is just BS. Djokovic is going from offense to defense and vice versa like nobody else on the tour. Have a look at some stats and see how many winners Nole hits per match. Nadal does his sh!t too. Maybe other players can deploy the same strategy. The problem is they are not as athletic/good as Nole and Rafa. I don't know what tennis you've been watching lately, but they both can blast winners from all over the court. The fact is that they can defend better than anybody else on the tour. You serve a bomb to Djokovic and he returns it with an interest. as simple as that.

EddieNero
07-19-2012, 08:11 PM
s
first of all, learn how to read. Djokovic wasn't really complaining about anything, he simply said that they were looking into different solutions etc. Nadal shouldn't be even involved in this conversation as he didn't say anything. And why wouldn't they want a shorter season? I'd like to get 6 weeks of holidays but I get only 4. Do you think you are so special that Djokovic, Nadal and Federer should be entertaining you 24/7? Do you realize that if the top 3 don't feel like playing a tournament, they don't have to (as I said earlier, they can always come up with some injury crap, they are simply too big, like it or not).

and, also, you saying that they win matches by wearing people down is just BS. Djokovic is going from offense to defense and vice versa like nobody else on the tour. Have a look at some stats and see how many winners Nole hits per match. Nadal does his sh!t too. Maybe other players can deploy the same strategy. The problem is they are not as athletic/good as Nole and Rafa. I don't know what tennis you've been watching lately, but they both can blast winners from all over the court. The fact is that they can defend better than anybody else on the tour. You serve a bomb to Djokovic and he returns it with an interest. as simple as that.

Nadal has been whining on the season length for centuries and he was one of the first who raised voice in this discussion.

RForever
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM

well, if he is saying they ae working on it, dont sou think he wants it to be changed? Also Nadal should be included as Nole mentioned him. I want also more holidays but ai wont get it as my boss has the final word so why they should be dictating this? They dont have to play all tournaments, if they do and they feel tired, they can only blame theirselves.

I agree what you wrote about Nole though, he can attack and he is very good in coming to offence from defense. But Nadal? I hit more winners per match than he do, what he does is that he forces opponent to make UE which is legimite but dont call it winners.

Alex999
07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
well, if he is saying they ae working on it, dont sou think he wants it to be changed? Also Nadal should be included as Nole mentioned him. I want also more holidays but ai wont get it as my boss has the final word so why they should be dictating this? They dont have to play all tournaments, if they do and they feel tired, they can only blame theirselves.

I agree what you wrote about Nole though, he can attack and he is very good in coming to offence from defense. But Nadal? I hit more winners per match than he do, what he does is that he forces opponent to make UE which is legimite but dont call it winners.
all I was saying is that it was Nole's opinion that they (players) are trying to work things out, regardless if you agree or disagree with him. Yes, Nadal did say many things, but in this particular case Rafa wasn't directly involved. Yes, Novak did mention him but again Nadal didn't say anything directly regarding to the original post. I'm not trying to defend Nadal in any way, just stating the facts.

as for Rafa wearing his opponents down ... it's true, but I simply won't go there. Nadal has found the game that works for him, it might not be as pretty as Fed's game but it's working for him, like it or not. Fed is one in a billion. I respect both players for all kinda different reasons. I also disrespect them for all kinda different reasons too ;). Same with Nole ... even as his fan, he used to drive me crazy in his early career :D, but I tend to be a loyal fan/friend/husband, lol.

p.s. It sucks we can't have 6 weeks of holidays :-)

Jverweij
07-20-2012, 05:37 AM
s

I should have figured my little rant would immediately attract people who make it personal.. My response was not due to this article alone ofcourse. Nadal has been going at it for quite some time, and Djokovic seems to agree with him. Since these are 2 of the current 3 best, and most important (and thus influential) players in the world, I find it logical to include Nadal. To say Djokovic wasn't complaining..well, one might assume that his desire for these changes comes from him being unhappy with the current situation.

About me being "so special". This is a silly remark, and if you have read better, you would see that I explained that the shorter season would give all the spectators (not just me) less tennis to watch. I didn't say anything about seeing less of the top 3. There are more players than just the top players.

You feel my comments on the way Nole and Rafa play is BS. That's fine, I stand by my comment.They are both heavily defensive players (Rafa more so than Nole yes) and win alot of matches based on their impressive athleticism. I don't care that they do, they can play the way they want. I do care that they seem to want to adjust the rules so that the obvious disadvantage that this playing style has is taken away, at the expense of both the spectators, and the lower ranked players.

Btw: where did I say that they couldn't hit winners? I said they should try to hit more, because it saves them alot of energy.

Raiden
07-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Smaller and faster balls and bring back carpet.Good point.

It's funny how players like Djoker (and their stans) love to complain about the toughness of the tour and the long schedule and how a whole season is hard on the body and how that needs to change in the future and so on and so forth bla bla bla... yet they have the obvious solution right in front of their noses: bring back carpet and indoor season!!!

duong
07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
it's been clear from many infos we've had (even in this interview, I think) that Djokovic wants this change nearly as much as Nadal.

He doesn't just say "we work on it" as an information.

Nadal and Djokovic have both taken part in these plans, even if their contribution has been known to us in different ways : Nadal mostly in the public "vocal complaining" way, from Djokovic we've rather heard that he had presented elaborated plans (Davis cup), which Nadal also did once last year on the calendar plan which is clearly the one which is on a good way at the moment.

Besides, something else which I think is interesting to note : yes Nadal and Djokovic still take part in these plans despite them not being members of the players' council anymore. When Djokovic says "we work on it", he includes himself, it doesn't sound like someone speaking of a general entity "all the players".

It reminds me of what I heard about the pressure on the slam tournament directors about the prize money : the tournament directors hadn't said they had been called to negociations by the players' council, but by the "top-players". In France, the newspaper "l'Equipe", who supported the French Tennis Federation on this prize money concern in Roland-Garros, didn't blame the players' council, but only Federer.

Top-players seem to have acquired their own working function/power, independantly from the players' council.

Nadal has clearly said that he left the players' council because he thought it was useless and didn't do anything.

But it clearly seems that Nadal and Djokovic still take part in the talkings on this topic.

Lazyking
07-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Changing the ball seems like a horrible idea.

Commander Data
07-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Making the balls smaller would be an attempt to make the game "harder" in the sense of it requiring more skill (hand-eye co-ordination), because it's mostly a physical endurance test now.

Obviously it will be better for some players and worse for some others. The game is constantly evolving.

smaller balls certainly not good for Nole, eyesight, displaced lentils, problem

finishingmove
07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
smaller balls certainly not good for Nole, eyesight, displaced lentils, problem

i agree and i think it's even worse for rafa :shrug:

yet these two selfless lovers of the sport are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good :worship:

Gagsquet
07-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I fear Gasquet would become the undisputed GOAT with smaller balls.
Braces yourselves, Gasquet reign is coming.

Commander Data
07-20-2012, 10:43 AM

yet these two selfless lovers of the sport are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good :worship:

making the world a better place is what it is all about :worship:

Raiden
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM

yet these two selfless lovers of the sport are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good :worship:What are you yapping about? Those two players are the ones who're constantly complaining about how hard the tour is for their body.

Well, in the future their body gets to be put under less stress - in principle that should make'em happy (that is, if they don't mind relying more on their tennis :lol:

TigerTim
07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I fear Gasquet would become the undisputed GOAT with smaller balls.
Braces yourselves, Gasquet reign is coming.

Gasquet already has tiny balls, look where thats got him, mediocrity, make them smaller and he won't have any balls left, he will become Richard Haasequet

Chris Kuerten
07-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Tio Toni won't accept smaller balls.

Gagsquet
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Gasquet already has tiny balls, look where thats got him, mediocrity, make them smaller and he won't have any balls left, he will become Richard Haasequet

I was talking about tennis balls. You are penis oriented :o

philosophicalarf
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Wow, a million lame jokes about "smaller balls".

Who would have thought such a thing would happen on mtf?

mikkemus23
07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
They already have enough rest, and they can get even more with smart scheduling a la Fed.

Smaller balls? GTFO, they gotta be kidding!?!!! So ATP slowed the courts, and now they shall change the balls? To make it play faster? Why not change the courts? Smaller balls is just plain stupid IMHO. It`s a parameter that shouldn`t be changed.

Mechlan
07-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Why don't they reduce the number of mandatory MS events instead of shortening the calendar?

There are lots of competing interests here and the lower ranked players want to play more, not less. It seems like what the top guys are really looking for is a way to play less without being penalized. Surely that can be accomplished without killing off more tournaments, which has several negatives (i.e. fans watch less tennis, lessens the appeal of tennis in the countries that lose tournaments, causes players to lose money since they play less, etc).

MuzzahLovah
07-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Why is it important the balls be smaller? Why not just lighter?

MuzzahLovah
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
They already have enough rest, and they can get even more with smart scheduling a la Fed.

Smaller balls? GTFO, they gotta be kidding!?!!! So ATP slowed the courts, and now they shall change the balls? To make it play faster? Why not change the courts? Smaller balls is just plain stupid IMHO. It`s a parameter that shouldn`t be changed.

Aren't balls different at each tournament anyways?

jackjill888
07-20-2012, 11:41 PM
WTF is this??? :facepalm:

As it is balls are so small. What does this nole mole want? I feel djoko should pull out his own shrunken couple of balls and start playing with them. CLOWN.

And what can I say about that frustrated pig rafa ? Does he even want to play anymore? shorter season?? 2-year ranking?? faking injuries everytime he loses?? fighting with umpires?? threatening to boycott tournaments?? ass-picking?? ball-bouncing?? shit LOSER.

PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE TENNIS !!! o Lord !!! :help: