Houston Re-ducks [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Houston Re-ducks

Pages : [1] 2 3

tangerine_dream
11-01-2004, 05:58 PM
"Houston Redux"....get it? ;)

Anyhoo, with the final TMC places filled, I guess it's time to start a new Houston thread. I got this update from the BBC. :)

TMC HOUSTON FINALISTS

1. ROGER FEDERER - 1117 points

Federer booked his berth at the beginning of August - the earliest anyone has qualified for the event in its 14-year history.

As well as three Grand Slam titles, the defending Masters Cup champion has also collected three Masters Series crowns and has already ensured he will finish top of the Champions Race - which rates players according to their form over the season.

2. ANDY RODDICK - 656 points

Roddick was the second man to qualify for the Houston event thanks to his four title wins, including the Miami Masters.

The American may not have won a Grand Slam this year, but he has reached a final and two quarter-finals as well as racking up 70 match wins.

3. LLEYTON HEWITT - 613 points

Having won it in 2002 and 2003, Hewitt failed even to qualify a year ago after a disappointing season.

The Australian has bounced back in 2004, winning four titles and reaching the final at the US Open and the quarter-finals of the French Open and Wimbledon.

4. CARLOS MOYA - 484 points

Moya was yet assured of his ticket to Houston after the Paris Masters draw put Andre Agassi and David Nalbandian in the same half.

The Rome Masters champion triumphed in two other tournaments in the first half of the year but since then his form has dropped and the shoulder injury that prevented him competing at the Madrid Masters also forced him out of Paris.

5. GUILLERMO CORIA - 480 points

Dirt lover Coria had a stellar clay-cout season, ruined only by his defeat in the French Open final to fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio.

But since that defeat, a shoulder injury has restricted him to only four tournaments. Having undergone surgery on the problem, he did not return to action in time to qualify for Houston but other results have gone his way.

6. MARAT SAFIN - 472 points

Victory at the Madrid Masters put the enigmatic Russian right back in the hunt for a place in Houston and his place was confirmed at the Paris Masters.

Safin has had an inconsistent year, beginning the year by reaching the final of the Australian Open but failing to get beyond the first round at Wimbledon and the US Open.

7. TIM HENMAN - 458 points

An injury-hit season prevented Henman qualifying for the Cup in 2003 but he is safely there this time around.

Two Grand Slam semi-finals and a final appearance in Indian Wells put Henman on the verge of qualification, but early defeats at the Madrid Masters and Swiss Indoors dented his hopes.

Qualification remained in his own hands but injuries to his two rivals Andre Agassi and David Nalbandian confirmed the Briton's place in Houston.

8. GASTON GAUDIO - 383 points

Gaudio is heading to the Masters Cup for the first time in his career thanks to his shock French Open win earlier this year.

The 24-year-old Argentine has dropped out of the top seven in the Champions Race but still qualifies by taking the wild card given to the highest-ranked Grand Slam winner inside the top 20.

--------

If Coria pulls out of Houston due to his injury (which he prob. will), then Agassi and will go in his place.

GOOD LUCK IN HOUSTON ANDY!!!!! :banana:

Black Adam
11-01-2004, 07:30 PM
i hope he wins........ would be great for the wonderful houston public ;)

star
11-01-2004, 07:50 PM
"Houston Redux"....get it? ;)

I got it when I saw the title! Very clever, I thought, and wondered who started that thread..... TANGY! :worship:

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
OMG! I had water in my mouth when I saw the title and almost choked! LOL! I love it!!!!

andyroxmysox12191
11-01-2004, 10:50 PM
:rolls: nice title tangy!

Neely
11-01-2004, 10:52 PM
"Houston re-ducks"... "Houston redux" :haha: :haha:
OMG OMG :rolls:

that's really good! :yeah: :D :bounce:
:rocker2: :rocker2:

you all in the Andy forum have so many great ideas how to put finesse and great/funny things into thread titles...! :yeah:

some time, in a few years, it will end up like this. You look in a dictionary for "duck" and you will read all the following:

duck
(1) noun: a very common water bird
(2) verb: to duck, to lower your body or head quickly, especially to avoid being seen or hit
(3) person, tennis fan slang: relates to US tennis player Andy Roddick; formerly created by haters, not much later picked up by his fans as a nickname
(4) verb, tennis fan slang: to duck, a tournament that Andy Roddick is playing. Examples: Roddick ducks in Memphis, Houston re-ducks.

:haha:

Golfnduck
11-01-2004, 11:06 PM
LOL!!!! Very good title Tangy!!! GO ANDY!!!! KICK SOME BUTT IN HOUSTON!!!

J. Corwin
11-01-2004, 11:18 PM
nice title :lol: And I got it when I read the title too. :yeah:

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 12:43 AM
you all in the Andy forum have so many great ideas how to put finesse and great/funny things into thread titles...! :yeah:

:confused: What do you mean? We're all stupid moronic idiots that can't read!!! :angel:

some time, in a few years, it will end up like this. You look in a dictionary for "duck" and you will read all the following:

duck
(2) verb: to duck, to lower your body or head quickly, especially to avoid being seen or hit
(3) person, tennis fan slang: relates to US tennis player Andy Roddick; formerly created by haters, not much later picked up by his fans as a nickname
(4) verb, tennis fan slang: to duck, a tournament that Andy Roddick is playing. Examples: Roddick ducks in Memphis, Houston re-ducks.

:haha: :haha: :yeah: :worship:

PinkFeatherBoa
11-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Excellent title T-Dream.

and LOL Neely :worship:, I hope Websters and Collins are here browsing so they get the news early on the new terms on the street. ;) Would make an eloquent addition to any dictionary.

superpinkone37
11-02-2004, 01:26 AM

duck

:haha: :haha: :haha:

nice title by the way, tangy :yeah:

snaillyyy
11-02-2004, 01:42 AM
:worship: Neely those are the best ! :haha: :haha: :bigcry:

Great title Tangy :yeah:

Mr. Man
11-02-2004, 02:49 AM
Only Tangy would come up with this title. :spit:

Good Luck, Rod man.

star
11-02-2004, 02:51 AM
Neely :yeah:

Havok
11-02-2004, 03:06 AM
This title has completely gone over my head. :retard: I'm a lost case tonight, someone help the retard in need, though I'm gonna read the responses tomorrow as I'm getting offline now.:scared: Yeah I know, scary thought huh.

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 03:26 AM
awwwwww Naldo :hug:

the word "redux" means like, returned or repeated... tangy's just making a play on that (like "Houston again" or "Houston revisited" etc. playing with 'duck') Ingenious!

star
11-02-2004, 04:19 AM
redux......... l
Main Entry: re·dux
Pronunciation: (")rE-'d&ks, 'rE-"
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin, returning, from reducere to lead back
: brought back -- used postpositively

So it's like...... Houston AGAIN!!

Peta Pan
11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Don't worry Naldo, I had no idea either :p I couldn't even find 'redux' in the dictionary.

Now I know the meaning... great title Tangy :yeah:

Oh.. and GOOD LUCK IN HOUSTON ANDY!!!

ataptc
11-02-2004, 12:08 PM
:lol: pj, I checked the dictionary too and couldn't find anything.. witty title :yeah: and neely... :hatoff:

Havok
11-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh, I didn't know that was the definition of redux.:) Nice thread title tangy, but nobody's gonna beat my Paris one.:smoke:

zoltan83
11-02-2004, 05:52 PM

duck

:haha: Nice Nelly :yeah:

tangerine_dream
11-02-2004, 05:57 PM
aww, I'm glad you all like my thread title :banana: http://www.skatemd.com/forums/images/smilies/grouphug.gif

We should keep a running list of tourney threads. It's kinda funny to look back at all the clever titles we came up with. :)

Houston Re-ducks
Not Dating, but Playing in, Paris
The Mallard SHOULD be in Madrid
Thai Duck?
Acing Arizona (scottsdale)
New Duck! New Duck! (uso)
The Mighty Duck in Cincy
TMS Canard, eh?
Repeating at the IndianQUACKolis 153 for title #15!
Wimbleduck
The King of Queens Reigns Supreme
Gagnez juste UN match s'il vous plaît!!! (later changed to: Tant Pis! Mais l'herbe est meilleure! ) (French Open)
Staying away from the pizza in Rome (later changed to: Getting the hell OUT of Rome!! )
Andy an der Alster (Hamburg thread)
Quack Attack at Mack's
Quackin' at Home Instead of Monte Carlo
The Nasduck-150
Wishing at the Wells (Indian Wells)
Slammin' At the Siebel Open to take first title of 2004!!!!!
Buyin' Food and singing Hey Jude (Andy Kicking Butt in Memphis!)
Get em' at the AO Andy! (later changed to: A well fought out slam, Andy. You'll get em' next time.)
Pass The Bong - It's Time For Kooyong!
Doing the Damage in Doha

The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on the Clay (ongoing Davis Cup)
Munching the Carpet (indoor carpet season)

:banana:

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 06:02 PM
OH Tangy!!!!!!! Thanks for aggregating those for us!! I'm sitting in the library and just squealed in laughter LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyroxmysox12191
11-02-2004, 09:23 PM
:haha: great thread titles we had....always made me crack up whenever i looked at them (:

superpinkone37
11-03-2004, 02:52 AM
awww those are some great titles!! :lol: :yeah: :rolls:

ataptc
11-03-2004, 03:08 AM
i rarely post here.. but :yeah: for all the awesome titles you guys come up with :)

Fumus
11-03-2004, 02:16 PM
awww...I was going to call it the Houston Rocket...Andy Roddick thread...or sumtin..

tangerine_dream
11-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Er, I just checked ESPN's TV schedule and I don't see TMC Houston listed anywhere. :scared: Is it not being televised this year? Say it ain't so! :bigcry:

Deboogle!.
11-08-2004, 02:58 AM
It's being televised! What ESPN schedule were you looking at? LoL Some live, some taped, but we've getting almost all the singles RR matches, the SFs and the final. I forget the exact schedule so let me find it

Btw, the way the seedings worked out, Andy will face either Hewitt or Safin, either Moya or Coria, and either Henman or Gaudio.

There are about a zillion ways Andy or Marat or Lleyton could all end up at #2, so someone else is gonna have to do all the math lmao

ESPN
DATE SHOW TIME (ET)
Nov. 16 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Nov. 17 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Nov. 21 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm

ESPN2
DATE SHOW TIME (ET)

Houston, TX, USA 12:00 am to 2:00 am

Houston, TX, USA 11:00 pm to1:00 am

Nov. 17 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Westside Tennis Club Houston, TX USA 10:00 pm to 12:00 am

Nov. 18 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Nov. 18 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 11:30 pm to 1:30 am

Nov. 19 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Nov. 19 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 11:30 pm to 1:30 am

Nov. 20 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Nov. 20 2004 Tennis Masters Cup Houston
Houston, TX, USA 10:00 pm to 12:00 am

tangerine_dream
11-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Thanks again Debs :kiss: For some reason I had it in my brain that TMC started on Nov. 9. Now I see that I'm a week ahead of the schedule. ;)

I can't believe it's November already. Where did the year go? :scared:

Deboogle!.
11-08-2004, 04:26 AM
hehe sure :) Maybe you thought about the WTA champs? Those start on the 10th?

and no kidding, where the hell has time gone!!!!!

MisterQ
11-08-2004, 04:27 AM
:lol: Reading those old thread titles, I can't wait for Kooyong! :smoke: :angel:

tangerine_dream
11-08-2004, 06:12 PM
So who do you guys think will be the first one to crash out of Houston? I'm thinking either Gaudio or Coria.

Tennis-x is saying that Andre's chances of being an alt are zero. :scratch: I can't see Moya playing with his injury; and I'm shocked to see that Coria IS playing. :eek: Stupid decision on his part, if you ask me. He should just write-off 2004 and concentrate on getting strong and healthy for 2005. A pre-mature return could cause more injuries.

RodFan08
11-08-2004, 06:38 PM
So who do you guys think will be the first one to crash out of Houston? I'm thinking either Gaudio or Coria.

Tennis-x is saying that Andre's chances of being an alt are zero. :scratch: I can't see Moya playing with his injury; and I'm shocked to see that Coria IS playing. :eek: Stupid decision on his part, if you ask me. He should just write-off 2004 and concentrate on getting strong and healthy for 2005. A pre-mature return could cause more injuries.

I don't know what Tennis-x is thinking Andre's been playing well. And yeah I agree with Gaudio or Coria going out early. First of all I think the court may be to fast for Gaudio and like u said Coria. I don't even remember the last time he played. Anybody know for sure?

Deboogle!.
11-08-2004, 06:40 PM
I don't see Andre showing up as alternate either. But you get a decent amount of money just for showing up, so hey if it were me, why not? lol.

If Guille wants to play, let him. I think it'll be a rude awakening. It's one thing making your first tournament back but it's another when it's a tournament where every match is guaranted to be a top 10 player. Coria is guaranteed to be in a group with either Andy or Roger AND either Marat or Lleyton... ouch.

It'll be interesting, for sure.

The last time Guille played was, I believe TMS Canada, he had to pull out of his match.

Havok
11-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Dumb decision by Coria as everyone has mentioned already. Now's the time to work on your fitness, your game, practice during your off season, and do some work-outs so that you become less injury prone. But no Coria desiced to play in TMC.:retard: I wish him the best of luck, but from the looks of things, it seems like a potential disaster.

Golfnduck
11-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I think Coria will play. He fired a coach that told him he wasn't healthy enough to play. Maybe he feels like he has something to prove since he has been a non-factor since the French Open. Who knows. :rolleyes:

star
11-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Guille says in his message on his website that he has zero chance of causing damage to his shoulder. That's a pretty confident statement so he must know something. The gossip is that his coach didn't want him to play at TMC, but Guille doesn't point to that as the reason for their parting. I have confidence that Guille has consulted his doctors and has been feeling no pain in his training. He said he played a full set in Madrid with no pain at all.

It means a lot to Guille to play in the TMC. He's not at all blase about the honor.

Deboogle!.
11-09-2004, 04:56 AM
Well for his sake, I hope that's true!

But playing a set against Andy Murray is not playing a set against Roger/Lleyton/Marat/Andy...

I guess for me it's just sort of like WOW that's quite a way to ease back into match play. Haven't played in several months after having surgery and you might have to play one of the very best players in the world who is in good form? A little different from waiting til Aukland next year and getting some lower-ranked "easier" way to ease back into match play.

superpinkone37
11-09-2004, 05:07 AM
awwww i think coria is coming back too soon as well. i miss him, but i would rather that he took off the rest of the year to fully recover

star
11-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Well for his sake, I hope that's true!

But playing a set against Andy Murray is not playing a set against Roger/Lleyton/Marat/Andy...

I guess for me it's just sort of like WOW that's quite a way to ease back into match play. Haven't played in several months after having surgery and you might have to play one of the very best players in the world who is in good form? A little different from waiting til Aukland next year and getting some lower-ranked "easier" way to ease back into match play.

Of course, it's not the ideal way to move back into match play, but I think Coria doesn't have high expectations for the tournament. He says he realizes he will not be match tough. I think that some people would worry about building confidence after an injury, but that doesn't seem to be Guille's style. It's a big deal for him to play in Houston.

I like it that Guille is going to do what he believes is right for him despite what others say. The gossip is that Mancini was against Guille's marriage and that is why he isn't coaching Guille anymore. I was skeptical about the marriage too, but it hasn't hurt Guille's game, and he says it has helped him. He could be right this time as well. I don't think playing two to three matches in Houston will set him back. :)

tangerine_dream
11-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Guille says in his message on his website that he has zero chance of causing damage to his shoulder. That's a pretty confident statement so he must know something. The gossip is that his coach didn't want him to play at TMC, but Guille doesn't point to that as the reason for their parting. I have confidence that Guille has consulted his doctors and has been feeling no pain in his training. He said he played a full set in Madrid with no pain at all. It means a lot to Guille to play in the TMC. He's not at all blase about the honor.

As Deb said, I hope he is right about his decision to go but it is still worrisome. I hope for his sake that he does not draw Andy too soon because Andy will blow Guille's arm off trying to return those 140-mph serves. :scared:

Deboogle!.
11-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Well there's a 50-50 shot he'll play Andy in RR. But regardless, he's guaranteed to get either Andy or Roger AND ALSO either Hewitt or Marat because of the way they draw the groups... Marat hits just has hard as Andy, pretty much, Roger's no sham either, and Hewitt could run his poor out-of-match-play body completely ragged

If he has made the decision to play and is happy with it, that's great and I look forward to seeing him on court again, he's too good to be out of the game, for his sake I just hope it was the right decision and I hope he neither reaggravates something or gets completely embarrassed

Havok
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Of course, it's not the ideal way to move back into match play, but I think Coria doesn't have high expectations for the tournament. He says he realizes he will not be match tough. I think that some people would worry about building confidence after an injury, but that doesn't seem to be Guille's style. It's a big deal for him to play in Houston.

I like it that Guille is going to do what he believes is right for him despite what others say. The gossip is that Mancini was against Guille's marriage and that is why he isn't coaching Guille anymore. I was skeptical about the marriage too, but it hasn't hurt Guille's game, and he says it has helped him. He could be right this time as well. I don't think playing two to three matches in Houston will set him back. :)
Then he really shouldn't be playing it. I would much rather see Andre in this field who actually has a shot at doing damage and possibly winnnig it than to see Coria just coming off a long break because of injury and not care about his results at a huge event like this. I do feel for Coria and it really sucks about what happened this year though.:hug:

MisterQ
11-09-2004, 05:49 PM
I wish one of these injured people would take a break and let Andre play. It's totally selfish of me, I know... ;)

If Guille had won one of those RG championship points, Andre would be playing... interesting.

Deboogle!.
11-09-2004, 05:52 PM
It's funny because so many places say that Andre pulled out of Paris KNOWING that Guille wouldn't play because of Gil Reyes... obviously something changed. I wonder who got their information wrong. Q, do you think Andre will show up as alternate?

Fumus
11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
It's all about Andy at the cup, let me be the first to predict that Andy shocks everyone by winning it. He has been working soo much this year and he's played some of his best tennis I have ever seen :eek: against Marat last month and beat him Indoors :eek:. He got injured and played poopy against Fed, then last week he was trying new things against Max and Max played awesome. So if you look though, Andy has just been waiting all year for that big win, he has shown so much improvement but everytime he seems to be on the right track something happens.

Now is the time to stamp his authority on the sport and say "I'm still here, and I am not just a serve, I am player who will not only be around but I will be in contension for the next couple years, I rock, shut up, I am a bastard child, I have no father!!". This will be the edge he needs to get back on track in 05'. I am not making this [poop] up! It's all about the cup!

LETS GOOOO!!!!! ANDY ALLEZ!

Adam Thirnis
11-09-2004, 07:49 PM
It's all about Andy at the cup, let me be the first to predict that Andy shocks everyone by winning it. He has been working soo much this year and he's played some of his best tennis I have ever seen :eek: against Marat last month and beat him Indoors :eek:. He got injured and played poopy against Fed, then last week he was trying new things against Max and Max played awesome. So if you look though, Andy has just been waiting all year for that big win, he has shown so much improvement but everytime he seems to be on the right track something happens.

Now is the time to stamp his authority on the sport and say "I'm still here, and I am not just a serve, I am player who will not only be around but I will be in contension for the next couple years, I rock, shut up, I am a bastard child, I have no father!!". This will be the edge he needs to get back on track in 05'. I am not making this [poop] up! It's all about the cup!

LETS GOOOO!!!!! ANDY ALLEZ!

What a cunning plan from Roddick - throwing all those big Grand Slam matches in order to lull his opponents into a false sense of security so he could win the Master's Cup. Devilishly brilliant.

Golfnduck
11-09-2004, 08:09 PM
LOL Fumus!!! I agree with you. I think Andy can win the Masters Cup. His game is improving and I think now would be a great time to show the world that he is more than just a serve. GO ANDY!!!

Fumus
11-09-2004, 08:14 PM
What a cunning plan from Roddick - throwing all those big Grand Slam matches in order to lull his opponents into a false sense of security so he could win the Master's Cup. Devilishly brilliant.

Seldom is the question asked, "If I was a troll, where oh where would I hide?" this is because most scholars of Deb Institute located in upstate MTF, USA have recognized the "Andy Roddick Forum" as the breeding ground and nesting place for such beasts. Take for instance this lively fellow "Adam Thirnis" from the species "Subjectivious Federerous Fanerous", look as he trys to draw emotion for the posters around him so he can feed. The posters here are adept to such an attack and do not feed these crude beasts but instead ignore them and go about there very merry way.

Golfnduck
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
GO FUMUS!!! :bigclap: DUCKS DON'T FEED TROLLS!!! :devil:

Deboogle!.
11-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Seldom is the question asked, "If I was a troll, where oh where would I hide?" this is because most scholars of Deb Institute located in upstate MTF, USA have recognized the "Andy Roddick Forum" as the breeding ground and nesting place for such beasts. Take for instance this lively fellow "Adam Thirnis" from the species "Subjectivious Federerous Fanerous", look as he trys to draw emotion for the posters around him so he can feed. The posters here are adept to such an attack and do not feed these crude beasts but instead ignore them and go about there very merry way.

OHMYEFFINGGOD!!!!!!!!! :haha:

Well, someone at DU Aced his class on taxonomy!

Fumus
11-09-2004, 08:43 PM
haha...yea, it gave me chuckles even as I wrote it. I aced my DU Taxonomy class but, how the hell am I going to pay all those student loans, DU isn't cheap you know.

Adam Thirnis
this lively fellow "Adam Thirnis" from the species "Subjectivious Federerous Fanerous", look as he trys to draw emotion for the posters around him so he can feed. The posters here are adept to such an attack and do not feed these crude beasts but instead ignore them and go about there very merry way.

Well at least one rose to the bait so it wasn't a complete failure :lol:

Deboogle!.
um..... food? ;)

Deboogle!.
11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
haha...yea, it gave me chuckles even as I wrote it. I aced my DU Taxonomy class but, how the hell am I going to pay all those student loans, DU isn't cheap you know.

AT DU, we provide creative alternative means for absolving student loan debt

Fumus
11-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Yes yes, I know but I don't wanna rub your feet...but, I will if I have to..lol

tangerine_dream
11-09-2004, 09:05 PM
*splat* goes the troll

http://smileys.******************/cat/10/10_2_25.gif

Day-yum Fumus, he left a slick trail of guts behind him too, after that smack-down by you. ;)

Hey speaking of trolls, where oh where did Dirky Jerky run off to? I haven't seen him since he was *ahem* removed from this forum. :angel: I so miss reading his ideas of "constructive criticism" about Andy's lack of game. Hehe :devil:

Fumus
11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
lol...how was he removed I don't get it?

Fumus
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
I want to know the story Tangy...tell me the story..

Golfnduck
11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah, what did happen to Dirk?

Havok
11-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I didn't even notice he was "gone.":o

Fumus
11-09-2004, 10:13 PM
yea, as Deb informed me, didn't anyone notice how peaceful it's been in here?

tangerine_dream
11-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I didn't even notice he was "gone.":o

Proof he didn't add anything of substance to MTF in the first place. :p

MisterQ
11-09-2004, 10:26 PM

Fumus! I forgot you were a taxidermist! You do such great work. You will pay off those loans in no time.

Deboogle!.
11-10-2004, 12:51 AM
:haha: I had a meeting with the career services office today to adjust my resume for legal jobs and she said something that's not good to put under your interests is taxidermy :haha:

Fumus
11-10-2004, 06:39 PM
What did the taxidermist say after dinner, "I feel stuffed" :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Where is the draw???? :scared: The suspense is killing me. :bigcry:

MissPovaFan
11-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Where is the draw???? :scared: The suspense is killing me. :bigcry:

hehe me too! Im frantically searching everywhere lol

Deboogle!.
11-10-2004, 08:27 PM
well the draw started at 2, that means it then has to be posted places and whatnot. I'm sure it'll be out any second now :scared:

Fumus
11-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Yea...I don't wanna get "drawn" into this conversation but yea, where is this thing?

MissPovaFan
11-10-2004, 08:34 PM
I will attempt to "draw" a picture as soon as its out :p

MisterQ
11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
"I'm speaking with a "drawl," I'm so excited! :silly:

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 08:55 PM
*whine* Where is it??? They're two hours late! :fiery: I haven't been this anxious to see a draw in a while and they're holding out on me. :ras:

Deboogle!.
11-10-2004, 08:57 PM
no, it's 1 hour late. It's coming on 3pm in Houston now...

My guess is either the draw was delayed for some reason, or more obviously, they're just not putting it up online :retard:

Golfnduck
11-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I haven't found it either. How hard can it be to make a draw with 8 players?? :banghead:

Fumus
11-10-2004, 09:16 PM
damn it...:explode:

Fumus
11-10-2004, 09:18 PM
This would be an awesome draw..hahaha..

Top Half

1.Roger
2.Henman
3.Hewitt
4.Safin

Bottom Half

1.Roddick
2.Coria
3.Moya
4.Gaudio

Deboogle!.
11-10-2004, 09:19 PM
yeah, too bad it's not possible lol. Moya and Coria have to be in diff. groups.l

Fumus
11-10-2004, 09:22 PM
eh...ok...well I will keep Coria trade Moya for Hewitt (Andy has played well against him lately)

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 09:22 PM
I want Hewitt in Andy's draw. I want the No. 2 ranking to be decided between them, mano o mano, and not because somebody else took one of them out.

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I GOT THE DRAW!! I GOT THE DRAW!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

And it SUCKS!!!!! :ras:

RED GROUP
Federer
Hewitt
Moya
Gaudio

BLUE GROUP
Roddick
Safin
Coria
Henman

Deboogle!.
11-10-2004, 09:45 PM
uh.... where did you get it? LMAO

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I called them and asked for it. :p

Golfnduck
11-10-2004, 09:52 PM
I called them and asked for it. :p
Are you bluffing Tangy???

Jennay
11-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Pffff, it's not that bad.

Coria, blah.
Henman, blah.
Safin he just defeated when he was exhausted and in a foreign country.

Good luck Andy :banana:

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Well golly-gee, seeing as how I'm such an unreliable source, the ATP has just now announced the draw on their site.

You're welcome, anyways. :ras:

Houston Draw Set

Defending champion Roger Federer will likely be happy with his round-robin group made today at Tennis Masters Cup Houston. Federer, who is on an 18-match winning streak against Top 10 players, has avoided Tim Henman, the only player against whom he has a troubling head-to-head record (3-6). Federer has been grouped with Carlos Moya (4-0), Gaston Gaudio (3-0) and Lleyton Hewitt (6-7). Despite trailing the Aussie in career meetings, Federer has won their four meetings this year.

Red Group: (1)Roger Federer, (3)Lleyton Hewitt, (5)Carlos Moya, (8)Gaston Gaudio.

Blue Group: (2)Andy Roddick, (4)Marat Safin, (6)Guillermo Coria, (7) Tim Henman.

www.atptennis.com

MisterQ
11-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks for picking up that phone, Tangy. way to get things done. :yeah:

Golfnduck
11-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Tangy, you are a reliable source. I was just wondering where you got it from since ATP just posted it on their site 5 minutes after I posted.

Havok
11-10-2004, 10:23 PM
:)

tangerine_dream
11-10-2004, 10:30 PM
No problem guys. :hug: I should have mentioned my source in the first place. I was just a tad too excited and anxious to get it up on the web because a lot of us in the tourney forum had been waiting all day for the draw announcement.

And it was cool that the girl called me back as soon as the draw was made to let me know. :yeah:

Red group/blue group. It's like red states/blue states. :scared:

Well, let's start hashing it out, shall we? :D

RED GROUP
Federer
Hewitt
Moya
Gaudio
=====
I think Gaudio may actually have a chance here. Moya's injury could hold him back. Roger has had Lleyton's number all year. To be honest, I don't think Roger's injury will be a factor at all. I think he just decided to take the extra rest and get ready to defend Houston.

BLUE GROUP
Roddick
Safin
Coria
Henman
======
Yikes. Safin never makes it easy for Andy. Henman's game still troubles Andy, too. But Coria is in a lot of trouble. If he gets Andy or Marat in the first RR, he's out of there before he even steps foot on the court.

What do you all think?

Golfnduck
11-10-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm hoping that Andy gets Coria first. Then that Safin and Henman beat the hell out of each other. I hope Federer gets Hewitt 1st so he can give him his 1st loss of the round robin.

smucav
11-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Hewitt probably got the worst possible draw (for him). Besides the Fed, he doesn't have a great record against Moya either. Lifetime head-to-head is 5-5 (including one retirement by Moya), but what is more interesting is that Hewitt went 2-4 v. Moya (including a loss at the 2002 TMC) while he [Hewitt] was #1. When Hewitt was relatively unchallenged for #1 for a year & a half, Moya was the one guy who seemed to have his number. Moya may not be fully recovered from his injury, but despite Hewitt's rise up the rankings this year, he is not IMO playing as well as he did when he was #1.

He also has a 2-3 record v. Gaudio (0-2 this year), but all three losses were on clay.

If he could switch places with Safin, he might go 2-1, but in this draw who knows.

snaillyyy
11-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Thanks Tangy :hug: :cool:

Deboogle!.
11-11-2004, 01:06 AM
aw tangy I appreciated it b/c you posted the draw right before I left for class and it was gonna eat at me lol

I said before the draw was made that I didn't think it *really* mattered that much b/c Andy could beat any of the 6 players he would be drawn to face. I stand by that. A first match against Tim or Marat will be tough just because he still lacks that match play and those are tough matches for him that will probably have tiebreaks, etc. But hopefully he's done a lot of practice sets with some decent people (HA!) and he's ready to go. He should be physically fresh and mentally ready, being in a place he feels so comfortable. I was hoping for Gaudio instead of Henman of course, but it's time Andy wins a close match against Tim anyway, here is his chance. I feel like his destiny is in his hands and he just has to step up and play well and he should be able to make the SF.

andyroxmysox12191
11-11-2004, 01:34 AM
eeeeeh. the draw is eeeeehh.
I don't really mind Marat that much..it somewhat gets me worried....Timmy may trouble Andy so i am a little worried about that as well. Coria...uuuum i agree with tangy on this.
As for Roger...he's in the finals..that's my guess for him :lol:
I think Andy can make it to the SF if not the Finals as well :)

superpinkone37
11-11-2004, 02:14 AM
not the best draw....but it could be worse, i guess.

MisterQ
11-11-2004, 02:19 AM
not the best draw...but there are draws that aren't as good, i guess.

superpinkone37
11-11-2004, 02:21 AM
lol, are you making fun of my double post? :p

Deboogle!.
11-11-2004, 02:39 AM
deb, you sound like me... (:

:haha: :haha: :hug:

MisterQ
11-11-2004, 02:45 AM
lol, are you making fun of my double post? :p

I was, but it's not double anymore... :bigcry:

;) :)

superpinkone37
11-11-2004, 02:46 AM
I was, but it's not double anymore... :bigcry:

;) :)

lol :lol:

mitalidas
11-11-2004, 03:26 AM
This would be an awesome draw..hahaha..

Top Half

1.Roger
2.Henman
3.Hewitt
4.Safin

Bottom Half

1.Roddick
2.Coria
3.Moya
4.Gaudio

well.... but that would be liked "confessing" that you don't believe in andy enough to think he can beat the guys in the top half. your other post is more positive-- that he's going to win this thing

mitalidas
11-11-2004, 03:29 AM
Roger has had Lleyton's number all year.

nice ;)
read that on the general forum too

Deboogle!.
11-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Masters Cup Preview
By Sarah Alvanipour
2004-11-10
The eight best men tennis players in the world will gather in Houston, Texas for the second consecutive year to compete for one of the most prestigious titles on the ATP Circuit, Masters Cup Champion.

As the No. 2 player in the world, Andy will make his second appearance at the Masters Cup, set to begin next Monday, November 15, at the Westside Tennis Club. Andy was among the first players to qualify for the coveted year-end event, including the top seven players ranked on the INDESIT ATP Champions Race along with the highest ranked Grand Slam Champion.

With an ATP-best 71 match wins this season and four titles to his credit, Andy returns to Houston in hopes of improving on his impressive semi-final run at last year’s event where he went down to eventual champion, Roger Federer.

Federer is back again this year along with Guillermo Coria and Carlos Moya. Newcomers Tim Henman and Gaston Gaudio join Masters Cup veterans Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt, the 2001 and 2002 champion.

While Roger Federer has been the player to beat all year, he comes to Houston following a three-week layoff from injury. Guillermo Coria and Carlos Moya are also staging returns to competition next week following their sidelines with shoulder injuries. Tim Henman and Lleyton Hewitt return with improved rankings over last year, and Marat Safin following back-to-back Tennis Masters Series titles.

On the line will be the No. 2 spot in the rankings, as Hewitt and Safin trail Andy by 33 points and 99 points, respectively.

Andy has been focused all year long on qualifying for the tournament, making it and the Davis Cup final top priorities on his fall schedule. He has taken all measures to prepare for the Masters, taking time out to recharge his batteries and working out with his trainer Doug Spreen to peak when it counts.

The impressive field is sure to provide intense entertainment for the thousands of fans who will flock to grounds as early as this weekend, when the doubles action is set to begin. Family and friends will also be on site to cheer Andy on since both of Andy’s brothers live in near by San Antonio, just a short drive from Houston.

Masters Cup Draw

As the second seed, Andy has been assigned to the Blue group along with No. 4 Marat Safin, No. 6 Guillermo Coria, and No. 7 Tim Henman.

Roger Federer, the top seed, headlines the Red Group along with No. 3 Lleyton Hewitt, No. 5 Carlos Moya, and No. 8 Gaston Gaudio.

The format for the Masters Cup is round-robin play for the first three matches. Players from each group compete against one another. Of the eight players, the top four performers (two from each group) will move on to the semifinals with the winners moving on to the final, set for Sunday, November 21.

Singles competition gets underway next Monday, November 15. Stay tuned to AR.com for the order of play and the latest from Houston.

tangerine_dream
11-11-2004, 04:50 AM
So if Safin actually wins Houston, would he be the new No. 2 player? :scratch:

Havok
11-11-2004, 05:00 AM
He would need Hewitt and Roddick to go 0-3 in their groups and Safin would need to go 5-0 throughout. I'm not 100% sure, I didn't do any real calculations, but just a fast glimpse and I think that's about it.

Deboogle!.
11-11-2004, 05:12 AM
Safin is 99 points behind.... so it doesn't have to be quite that extreme, considering each match is worth a good amount of points. Basically any way that would let Marat get 99 points on Andy would work. It's definitely mathematically possible, but not too likely.

J. Corwin
11-11-2004, 09:35 AM
I think the draw is OK...cuz I have the faith. ;)

This is how I think it will have to work out for Safin to be #2:

Andy loses in SF after going 2-1 in RR, and Safin wins the whole thing.
OR
Andy goes 1-2 in RR, and Safin reaches final.

:) (But I may be wrong cuz I'm just thinking off the top of my head :p)

Deboogle!.
11-11-2004, 03:28 PM
quick math at 7:30am and I agree with you, Jace :) Of course it could also depend on what Lleyton does, since he's ahead of Marat too, but by fewer points of course.

Andy, get your ass to Houston please and get on that court and get used to it, k?
---------

Roddick wants payback
Cup lends chance to avenge loss to Federer in '03
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Checking in from Austin Wednesday, Andy Roddick said he's 100 percent fit and, maybe more important, "hungry." His Masters Cup goal is a simple one. He wants to pick up where Roger Federer left off here last year.

"Roger used his success as a springboard for the great year he's had," said Roddick, who lost to Federer in the 2003 Masters Cup semifinals, then lost his No. 1 ranking to him early in 2004 and never came close to reclaiming it. "That's what I hope to do. I'm really pumped. I haven't played a lot lately, so I'm hungry."

While Federer has played even less lately, he's already on the Westside Tennis Club's grounds and paying his practice dues. He reports "no pain at all" from a torn thigh muscle revealed by an MRI after he pulled up lame during a practice session prior to the tournament in his hometown of Basel, Switzerland, two weeks ago. An ATP official said the defending champion's participation is certain "based on everything he's telling us."

Federer's last match was a 6-4, 6-0 whacking of Roddick in the Bangkok Open final 39 days ago. Although Roddick complained of elbow pain afterward, he says it wasn't a factor in Paris last week when he lost to qualifier Max Mirnyi. Roddick's two matches in that regular-season-ending event were his first since the Federer defeat in Thailand.

Whatever happens here, where the top eight players in the Indesit Points Race standings will be convening, Roddick admits he must "concede this year" to Federer, who won three of the four Grand Slams and 10 titles. Roddick has won four events, none of them Slams, but did lead the Tour with 71 match victories.

Roddick would love to face Federer again in the Houston finals and try to even the score. The 6-0 Bangkok licking stung him, but it provides no extra motivation.

"Not at all," he said, "not the way Roger has been playing. He has so much confidence. That's been the difference for him."

Federer leads Roddick 8-1 in head-to-head meetings. The way the Masters Cup works, there can't be another Federer-Roddick showdown before the semifinals. Roddick is top-seeded in the Red Group, which includes two-time former Masters Cup champion Lleyton Hewitt, Carlos Moya and French Open champion Gaston Gaudio. Federer heads up the Blue Group, joining former U.S. Open champion Marat Safin, Guillermo Coria and Tim Henman.

Each foursome plays a round robin, with the top two players in each advancing to the semifinals on Nov. 20.

The groupings were done by random choice save for placing the top seeds. The Red half guarantees a rematch of the U.S. Open final between Federer and Hewitt, which Federer also won handily 6-0, 7-6 (3), 6-0. The French Open finalists, Argentina's Coria and Gaudio, wound up separated, meaning Coria likely won't have a chance to gain revenge for Gaudio's improbable rally from two sets down in Paris that ultimately won him his trip to Houston.

Gaudio wound up only 10th in the points standings, but Grand Slam winners gain automatic Masters Cup berths as long as they finish in the top 20.

Federer, Roddick, Coria and Moya are the holdovers from last year's tournament, which Federer brought to conclusion with a win over Andre Agassi. Federer has gone on to win 12 consecutive finals, 10 of them in 2004. Agassi, who is currently nursing a sore hip, is the first alternate. Coria, Moya and Gaudio have shoulder problems, but, as with Federer, there has been no indication yet their participation is in jeopardy.

The top five qualifiers are all current or former No. 1-ranked players, a Masters Cup first.

ataptc
11-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Roddick is top-seeded in the Red Group, which includes two-time former Masters Cup champion Lleyton Hewitt, Carlos Moya and French Open champion Gaston Gaudio. Federer heads up the Blue Group, joining former U.S. Open champion Marat Safin, Guillermo Coria and Tim Henman.
Isn't Andy in the blue group and fed in the red group? :rolleyes: reporters..

Deboogle!.
11-11-2004, 03:48 PM
LOL Yea.... well it's the Houston chronicle what do you expect? Not the best paper, especially with typos and stuff like that lol

tangerine_dream
11-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Well, this is a different way of looking at it. lol ....

SETRatings.com

Master's Cup 2004
A statistical look at the draw for the round robin

The draw for the round-robin portion of the year-end Houston Master's Cup has been released. This tournament provides an excellent opportunity to put our rating system to work. For starters, let's have a look at the player seeding to see if it makes any sense compared to our SET ratings. The following table compares how the ATP ranks the top 8 compared to how they would rank based on their most recent rating.

Tourn Seeding - SET Ranking
1 Federer Federer - 2440
2 Roddick Roddick - 2220
3 Hewitt Hewitt - 2216
4 Safin Safin - 2133
5 Moya Henman - 2099
6 Coria Coria - 2083
7 Henman Gaudio - 2029
8 Gaudio Moya - 1986

In actuality, we would have Andre Agassi and Nicolas Keifer in the top 8 instead of Gaudio and Moya. Agassi is an especially bad omission, since he actually has the fourth-highest rating in the group. The fact that he did not qualify is the nature of the ATP point system, which rewards players for playing a very full schedule.

The good news is that the top four seeds are also the top four based on ratings. These are indeed the most likely players to qualify for the next round.

The round robin portion of the tournament breaks the players up into two groups. This year the Red Group has Federer, Hewitt, Gaudio, and Moya. The Blue Group has Roddick, Safin, Coria, and Henman. Based on our ratings, we can calculate the exact odds of each player winning a given match. Using the most recent recent ratings for each player, the breakdown looks as follows:

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/9030/rrchart.jpg

This analysis shows that the Blue Group is likely to be much more closely contested than the Red Group. Assuming Federer has recovered from his injury and that he comes in playing anywhere near the level he has played for much of this year, he has an excellent chance of winning all three of his matches. While Hewitt will probably have trouble against Federer, especially if the finals of the U.S. Open were any indication, he stands a very good chance of defeating both Gaudio and Moya to advance. The closest match will probably be between Gaudio and Moya, the winner of which getting the only victory for either player. On clay, this matchup would look very different, but on the hardcourts Gaudio and Moya stand little chance against Federer and Hewitt.

In the Blue Group, Roddick stands an excellent chance of advancing. While much has been made of Safin's recent strong performance, he is still not quite up to Roddick's level. Roddick should win at least two of his three matches. He would have to play some of his best tennis to win all three. Safin, Coria, and Henman are statistically in a dead heat. Playing at their most recent level, there is no clear favorite in any matchup between the three.

The outcome of the Blue Group depends much on which Safin shows up. For members, I have prepared the same study except using each player's average rating throughout the year as a continuation of this article. Naturally, this shakes things up a bit in the Blue Group. The continuation also looks at the standard deviation of each player's rating this to give an idea of who is the more consistent performer.

Havok
11-11-2004, 06:20 PM
What the hell is SET and how is it calculated?:retard:

snaillyyy
11-11-2004, 10:14 PM
So Andy gets to jump right in :rolleyes:

Monday, November 15

Starting at 1 p.m.
(1)R Federer (SUI) vs (8)G Gaudio (ARG)

Starting at 7 p.m.
(3)L Hewitt (AUS) vs (5)C Moya (ESP)

Tuesday, November 16

Starting at 1 p.m.
(4)M Safin (RUS) vs (6)G Coria (ARG)

Starting at 7 p.m.
(2)A Roddick (USA) vs (7)T Henman (GBR)

Havok
11-11-2004, 10:31 PM
I would rather Andy play Henman first rather than later. I think he has more chances to win if he plays henman right off the bat than if he has to play him last in his group.

Deboogle!.
11-12-2004, 01:37 AM
It doesn't matter, Andy just needs to step up, period.

Unfortunately, though, b/c he's the night match, we'll get it tape-delayed :rolleyes:

But it's good they released the OP so far in advance, gives the players a chance to practice at the time of day they're going to have to play.

Now if only Andy would get his buttocks to Houston and get on that court and practice on it.

btw, guys, the weather next week is not supposed to be good :o

superpinkone37
11-12-2004, 02:17 AM
It doesn't matter, Andy just needs to step up, period.

Unfortunately, though, b/c he's the night match, we'll get it tape-delayed :rolleyes:

But it's good they released the OP so far in advance, gives the players a chance to practice at the time of day they're going to have to play.

Now if only Andy would get his buttocks to Houston and get on that court and practice on it.

btw, guys, the weather next week is not supposed to be good :o

yes, andy really needs to step up. obviously, henman is very tough, and its going to be even tougher as he hasnt played a match in a while, paris didnt really count :o but i guess drawing timmy now is better than later

Deboogle!.
11-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Well either Henman or Safin is another match like Max where it's gonna be tight, there will be tiebreaks and close sets and it's better to be match tough and confident going into them than not. I don't know if Tim is the type who plays well right away or has to ease into a tourney. With Andy, who really knows what he's like. But yea he just needs to step up and play well. And that's really all there is :p

tangerine_dream
11-12-2004, 02:48 AM
That weird article I posted earlier about the players' odds mentioned the same thing that I've been hearing from other sources: that, blue group-wise, everything seems to hinge on whether the in-form Safin shows up, or the flaky one. :retard: It's kind of amusing that the unpredictable Hippo has the power to throw such chaos into the mix without having to step foot on court. :lol:

Fumus
11-12-2004, 02:54 PM
(remember these ;) )
SPOOKY SKYLER PREDICTIONS

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/Assets/Images/MAR%2004/CRYSTAL%20BALL.JPG

I still think Andy wins the thing. He will beat Fed in a tight match, finally. *lightning crashes* Nobody beats Andy Roddick 5 times in a row ;) This will give him confidence for next year so he can win the Aussie Open *smokie myst*

In Andy's group he will beat Coria and Safin but, not Henman. *bing bing boom*
He and Safin will go 2-1, Coria and Henman will go 1-2. *chaga chaga bing*

Coria v. Henman is a rematch of the RG semi-final. Henman was in that match and could have won that, on clay :retarded: Weird!! *black cat meows*

I see Roger taking one loss in his half as he will struggle to find his form early. That loss will either come from Hewitt or no one at all...*ping ping pong*. *smokey myst* As for the rest I see Hewitt going 2-1 along with Federer, Moya and Gaudio will go 1 and 2. *BBBBBOOOOOMM*

That's all for now but tune back at the Aussie when Skyler will cast a spell on his crystal ball that will show the future of tennis.....*all hail the peagon gods of tennis*....

ataptc
11-12-2004, 03:11 PM
:lol: :lol: fumus!

Deboogle!.
11-12-2004, 03:41 PM
interesting article. I think they're really trying...
======

The McIngvales take constructive criticism to heart and improve Westside Tennis Club
Polishing Masters Cup
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Westside Tennis Club might be a lame-duck venue for the Masters Cup, but it hasn't kept owner Linda McIngvale from spending another $400,000 on amenities that will benefit everyone involved in the tournament — but especially the reigning kings of center court.

"We're going out a winner," said McIngvale's husband, Jim, the Gallery Furniture impresario. "We had some growing pains our initial year and we took some constructive criticism, which was very valid. So we've made some tremendous improvements in our hospitality area and in the players' locker room. We want them to be happy and comfortable while they're here."

Happy? Comfortable? Their super-luxe corner of the compound is a tennis Taj Mahal. The eight singles qualifiers plus an as-of-yet undesignated alternate will be ensconced in individual private suites.

Rockets to Roddick
The quarters, upstairs above the basketball court, were converted from the former offices occupied by the Rockets when Westside was their practice base. The top three seeds, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt respectively, inherited the prime spaces.

Federer's expansive suite was coach Rudy Tomjanovich's office. Roddick is ensconced across the hall in owner Leslie Alexander's space. Hewitt will settle in where Robert Barr, who wore several hats with the Rockets, used to quarter.

Except those rooms hardly looked anything like they do now. Nor were they stocked with gifts, snacks and fresh flowers, as Linda's game plan calls for next week.

"We have an ulterior motive," Jim McIngvale said. "We want these boys to like our place so they'll come back next year and play the clay court tournament."

Added Linda McIngvale: "They should be spoiled. They're the best in the world at what they do. They deserve to be made to feel special. I wanted to take care of the players this year to show them what kind of hosts we can be."

She said she would have made the upgrades last fall, but the ATP requisitioned the space to use for their operations center.

Cozying up
The doubles teams won't be coddled to quite the same extent, but they have inherited the Rockets' former locker room for their personal use and Linda set them up with a cozy private lounge.

They'll get the daily goodies as well and, of course, access to the remodeled and expanded club dining room, which will be reserved for players and family members.

The basketball court has become a party room for the players' entourages, which can be extensive. Guillermo Coria brought about 30 people last year. A lone basketball goal remains for the players' 3-point shooting pleasure.

If you think the McIngvales are pulling in their horns after losing the Masters Cup to Shanghai for the next three years, think again. The U.S. Clay Court Championships are here to stay and McIngvale intends to make every effort to bring Davis Cup ties, special tennis events and most significantly, the WTA Tour's season-ending championships to Houston.

He noted in his introductory remarks before the draw ceremony Wednesday how Los Angeles' Staples Center had "maybe 400 people in the stands," then pointed out, "We're already 98 percent sold out, and we will be all sold out. Our thanks goes to the city of Houston and our great fans."

Want it back
McIngvale won't concede, either, that the Masters Cup has no chance of staging a return engagement after Shanghai's three-year contract expires. His contentious relationship with the ATP — particularly its CEO, Mark Miles — remains a subplot, but Miles says he's leaving the ATP next year, so détente is possible.

At least from McIngvale's perspective.

"A lot can change in three years," McIngvale said.

At Westside, a lot has changed in one year. Spectators will be funneled onto the grounds through a giant covered tent, serving the dual purpose of sheltering them from the elements and bringing customers closer to the sponsors' merchandise.

Concessions also have been expanded and upgraded. (Starbucks Coffee makes its Westside debut). The stadium has been shrunk to its clay courts capacity of slightly more than 6,000.

The decision was made to eliminate the 400 or so temporary cheap seats that were added around the top because they were deemed borderline unsafe and the underlying structure ruined two red clay courts, requiring six figures worth of repairs.

In their stead, $20 grounds passes are being sold and giant viewing screens are being erected.

Center court has been redone and, McIngvale said, "I'm happy to report the stadium will not tilt anymore."

For drainage purposes, the 2003 playing surface was angled downward, but something wound up getting lost in translation. The company responsible for the work is European-based and the inches-to-centimeters confusion caused problems.

"We wound up with a seven-inch slope," Linda said.

It would be noted at the outset by Roger Federer, who got crossways with the McIngvales on several matters.

"Hey, Roger and I are fine," Jim McIngvale said. "We've already spoken. He's really a great kid."

The new court is flat. Because its shelf life will be one week only, drainage worries were discounted.

In the case of rain, Westside intends to utilize the rolling blowers like those employed at the U.S. Open this year. Once the drops stop, Linda is shooting for a 15-minute turnaround. They'll test the system after the court is power-washed Friday.

"I have to say it's a big change," Federer said after his afternoon workout Thursday. "Last year was good and now they've done a fantastic job. I'm sure they want to finish off on a really, really good note."

tangerine_dream
11-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Great article Deb, thanks! :kiss: I am so glad to hear that the MacInvales' have learned a tough lesson and are doing their best to change things to make it better. He could've ignored all the criticism but he didn't. He took it to heart and cares enough to make the necessary adjustments. This shows great character on his part. :bigclap:

You should post this article in the McInvale-bashing thread in GM. The haters are going hogwild over Mack and can't wait for him to screw up again so that their ignorant impressions of America as a whole can remain safely intact. (because, as you know, the McInvales represent all of evil America and jingoistic Americans :rolleyes: )

ataptc
11-12-2004, 05:51 PM
thanks deb! like tangy said, it's great that Mack acted on everyone's criticisms :)

Fumus
11-12-2004, 06:48 PM
The king of the Roddick forum approves your article ;)

Deboogle!.
11-12-2004, 08:34 PM
glad you guys liked it. I could care less what the people at MTF think. They're closed-minded, insulting people who are unwilling to give people a second chance. I don't have time for people like that :) If one of you wants to paste it up there, go for it. But I'm just staying away. the Macks are good people who do all kinds of good things, and I think all the good they have done for tennis and for the Houston community outweighs some mistakes he made at a tournament :shrug:

MisterQ
11-12-2004, 09:05 PM
OK, I posted it in GM. ;)

tangerine_dream
11-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Deb :lol: No kidding, right? It's doubtful the GM haters would cut him some slack anyway, no matter how much he tries. The way they talk, you'd think he was Kim Il Sung incarnate or something. :rolleyes:

But now thanks to your article, I have to change my av again. :fiery:

And I still have a creative block for my Wimby issue of Roddick Monthly :bigcry: I'm thinking I should just skip it for now and go on to the next issue.

Deboogle!.
11-12-2004, 09:08 PM
:sad: I thought you'd decided on the "Fall/Winter" issue idea I gave you :)

Pammy
11-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Andy has a very tough mission in Houston with Marat Safin, G.Coria and Tim Henman in in blue group. If he is not in a good condition I don't know what chances he has to move on. Good luck Andy!

superpinkone37
11-13-2004, 01:58 AM
fumus, shouldn't andy be king of the andy forum? (:

we elected him king one day on msn...lol. actually i think i was the only one who agreed :lol:

but nice predictions fumus, i hope it turns out how you have said, though im not too optimistic

Deboogle!.
11-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Here are the rankings scenarios :s
---------

Below that, we have two fairly distinct and competitive groups: Roddick/Hewitt plus Moya/Coria/Agassi/Nalbandian/Gaudio, with Safin somewhere in between. Roddick leads Hewitt by 165 Entry points. A Round Robin win is worth 100 points; reaching the final is another 200; winning is 250. So Hewitt can take the year-end #2 if he can win two more Round Robin wins than Roddick, or if he can win the same number and reach the final when Roddick doesn't, or if he can win the title and win at least as many Round Robin matches. Roddick ends the year at #2 if he can avoid those scenarios.

And avoid Safin. The Russian is 330 points behind Hewitt, 495 behind Roddick. That means he theoretically can take the #2 spot if he wins the whole thing -- though Roddick has to lose fairly early, and even Hewitt has to lose before the final. Safin cannot, of his own doing, force his way to the #2 spot, but #3 is a genuine possibility if he can do well.

superpinkone37
11-13-2004, 05:23 PM
yes, i was there. i was pestering him then, thus i am pestering him now. (:

lol, okay. well, keep on pestering then :lol:

and i would like safin to get the number three spot but thats not all too likely. i was really starting to like hewitt this year but i dont know what put me off of him recently. and this whole, well after the AO when he beat andy, ive begun to really like safin as well. who knows which marat will show up in houston though

Deboogle!.
11-13-2004, 05:28 PM
me too, Danielle. I dunno why, but since like the grass season, Lleyton just isn't as appealing to me :shrug:

As for Marat, well my personal opinion is that he and Andy are a lot alike and if you like one, I don't see how you can really not like the other. But, that's just me. I think Marat is great and great for the game. Too bad he can't seem to really show up week in and week out - it sucks that we have to say "well which Marat will show up in Houston" lol - I hope he can find real consistency, then I will probably become a big fan :)

superpinkone37
11-13-2004, 05:35 PM
same here Deb. i really like marat but he is not my most favorite player. he's probably like top three or something for me, but after andy, its hard to choose an order of the other players that i like so i wont even try. if he was consistent week in week out, like you said, then theres no doubt that i would become a big fan of his. :)

Golfnduck
11-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Marat does have a lot of personalities. Should make Houston interesting.

superpinkone37
11-13-2004, 05:55 PM
lol amanda :lol: do you know which marat will be coming to Houston then? lol

superpinkone37
11-13-2004, 06:01 PM
:lol: :rolls:

tangerine_dream
11-13-2004, 07:58 PM
As for Marat, well my personal opinion is that he and Andy are a lot alike and if you like one, I don't see how you can really not like the other. But, that's just me. I think Marat is great and great for the game. Too bad he can't seem to really show up week in and week out - it sucks that we have to say "well which Marat will show up in Houston" lol - I hope he can find real consistency, then I will probably become a big fan :)

I can think of two things that keep me from being a Marat fan: his absolute lack of character, and his dirty tricks on the court.

Tanking matches, refusing to shake an umpire's hand, the constant complaining and whining he does, blaming everyone and everything for his failures except for himself, refusing to give his opponents hardly any credit for outplaying him, is all so unprofessional to me. Also, if you have such little respect for the Olympics, then why the hell even bother going? :scratch: When he's losing a match, why does he always have to stop and ask for a medical time-out? And he needs to quit trashing an esteemed tournament like Wimbledon just because he doesn't like the surface and crashed out in the first round. This guy's 24 years old and is a slam winner. Time to shut up and grow up.

As for his temper tantrums, his racket smashing, the swearing, and mooning-the-spectators, none of that bothers me. In fact, I never understood why some would claim to "hate" a player simply because he throws a racket in frustration. Did he kill someone with it? :rolleyes: What's even worse is that there are too many hypocrites in GM who claim to despise such behavior in players and yet their own favorites are guilty of same behavior (the Nalbandian fans (specifically two of them with the biggest mouths; we know which ones I'm referring to :devil: ) are good ones for such hypocrisy and double-standards but they're not the only ones to do so).

I'm not saying that Andy is innocent of pulling stunts on the court when it suits his purpose. Almost every player has done this and it is accepted behavior, for the most part, by other players. I just don't like it when players resort to such tactics all the time. If Marat is so mega-talented, he shouldn't have to suddenly pull up lame and ask for a three-minute medical timeout in the first set of a match.

Ok, that's my rant on Marat. Other than the character deficiencies, he seems ok. ;)

Deboogle!.
11-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Well at least Andy decided to finally grace Houston with his presence

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041113/capt.txdp10411132008.masters_cup_txdp104.jpg

Jennay
11-13-2004, 08:27 PM
:hearts:

tangerine_dream
11-13-2004, 08:54 PM
I agree Jennay. What a great-looking group of guys! :hearts: No cowboy hats this time. No wonder they're all relaxed and smiling. ;)

Havok
11-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Fed is sporting a very girly hiarcut.:o

Havok
11-13-2004, 09:45 PM
The blue tie and the black one is my fav, though the blue one is the best.:cool:

tangerine_dream
11-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Hehe, check out the McInvale-bashing thread in GM now. Mr Q re-posted that article that Deb posted here about their making a lot of changes to improve Houston and make the players feel welcome, and all of a sudden it's dead quiet in there. **insert sound of crickets chirping** The hate parade was busted up, aww :tears: and now they're stammering around going, uh, uh, well, I'll believe it when I see it. So typical. :rolleyes: But I'm enjoying watching the tumbleweeds go by now. :devil: Nice job shutting up the idiots, Q and Deb. :bowdown:

So, are there anymore pics from the opening ceremonies? Roger's new 'do: eh. It's ok. I like him better with long hair. :hearts: Andy's new 'do: eh. Not crazy about the Marine look. Prefer pineapple hair. :hearts: I'm curious to see how Roger will tame the short wisps of hair falling into his face during matches now. ;)

andyroxmysox12191
11-14-2004, 12:18 AM
:hearts: Great pic! Though why is Andy looking down at something( and acting :(-like)and not at the camera?? LOOK UP AND SMILE ANDY! And ugh....grow back the hair.
I actually like Roger's hair....it's gonna take some time getting used to it though. :p
Lleyton, to me, looks like he's one of those model people for an item like on The Price Is Right...don't ask :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 12:30 AM
More piccies! :banana: Wow, Roger looks awesome here :hearts: And did Andy actually wear those sneakers during the ceremony? So last year. ;)

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 12:35 AM
omg how embarrassing Andy :o:o:o

MisterQ
11-14-2004, 12:37 AM

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 12:50 AM
More pics of Andy. Ugh. Someone needs to teach him how to pose for the camera. He doesn't look relaxed at all. And his eyes look very sad to me. :sad:

star
11-14-2004, 12:57 AM
I love Roger's hair. It looks great.

In that picture, Moya and Guille look best to me.. with Roger in third....... but I mean, that's just because of the way the camera caught them. That's about the least flattering picture of Safin I have seen.

And I guess I'm in a minority because I like the green tie. I'm not normally a fan of green, but I like it best. I guess they didn't make them wear the hats this time. ;)

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 12:58 AM
eh. those last two pictures are ok. the first one is fine, but then you look as his eyes and they really do look sooo sad. yay for andy wearing the blue tie :hearts:...i dont like the others ones, they look ugly to me. and of course andy is wearing the stupid tennis shoes, LOL. :p

i really dont care about fed's hair, it just grosses me out when it looks all greasy with the pins and stuff when he is playing. i will have to wait till he plays to give you my opinion on his hair ;)

star
11-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Andy has a very birdy look to him...... Which reminds me..... everyone should read that book -- Birdy. It's lovely. I think the author's name is William Wharton. He wrote Upon a Midnight Clear and Dad too. They are worthwhile reading too. They made a movies from Dad and Birdy, but Birdy turned out better in my mind.

Havok
11-14-2004, 01:06 AM
:cool: about wearing gym shoes, but those gym shoes are fucking gross and sad.:ras: Anyways I don't know how you people like Roger's feminine haircut, it looks rather gay imo. Just weird and not done properly.:scared:

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 01:09 AM
i think its funny that andy wore gym shoes, but yeah, he could have picked some better ones lol. and when he's not playing, feds hair always looks girly, imo

star
11-14-2004, 01:11 AM
:cool: about wearing gym shoes, but those gym shoes are fucking gross and sad.:ras: Anyways I don't know how you people like Roger's feminine haircut, it looks rather gay imo. Just weird and not done properly.:scared:

Since the gay guys seem to look really good most of the time, I'd say calling Roger's haircut gay is pretty much a compliment. :)

Havok
11-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Um no not this time. I find it pretty disgusting. Not a big fan of long hair in the first place, but when you give yourself a girl haricut, thats just :retard:.

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 01:22 AM
WEll it's all relative. This is a big improvement over the absolutely ridiculous little ponytail.

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 04:16 AM
lotsmorepics!!!!

Good job with the eyes closed Andy! :haha:
http://tennis.info/images/Houston4/01Sat/Group7258.jpg

Ummmmmm.... not sure what's happening here :eek: :lol: Someone needs to drag this one over to the Bizarre thread and make up a good caption;)
http://tennis.info/images/Houston4/01Sat/HewittRoddick9649.jpg

Andy definitely lucked out with the nicest tie :yeah:
http://tennis.info/images/Houston4/01Sat/Roddick9554.jpg

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Tough times for ATP
Published November 14, 2004
Charles Bricker

Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and the rest of the best eight in tennis are in Houston this week for the $3.7 million Masters Cup playoffs, the end of the season tournament that should be nothing less than a festival and a celebration of the game.

But there is an undercurrent of bad feeling that has the potential to stain the event and send tennis reeling into the 2005 season.

West Side Tennis Club owner Jim McIngvale, who is hosting the Cup for a second and final year, continues sniping at ATP CEO Mark Miles and there's no indication it will stop once reporters turn up in Houston to give him a bigger audience.

And a number of European tournament owners, livid over the pullout of several top pros, also are in Houston to demand the ATP do something about getting players to honor their commitments.

If the tournament doesn't disintegrate, No. 1 seed Federer will open Monday at 1 p.m. against Gaston Gaudio. Roddick will play his opening match Tuesday at 7 p.m. against Tim Henman.

The four doubles teams, including the U.S. team of Bob and Mike Bryan, began play Saturday. The singles final is Nov. 21.

"I don't mind telling the truth about the guy -- he's worthless. Mark Miles has done nothing for tennis. All he wants to do is propagate his $700,000-a-year salary and keep flying first-class tickets all over the world. I don't think he's good for the game at all," McIngvale told a reporter in May when it became evident the tour was going to leave Houston and sign a long-term contract with Shanghai to host the Cup, beginning in 2005.

When Miles arrived at the French Open to announce the Shanghai deal, he took the high road. "I'm sure there are a number of things on which Mack and I would not see eye to eye with respect to the sport and the promotion of the sport," Miles said. "But I think there's at least one thing we do see eye to eye on and that's the importance of the success of the event."

Tennis and McIngvale looked at one time like a great match. The bedroom and furniture king of Houston -- Mattress Mack in his TV ads -- owned the biggest club in Houston and did a fabulous job promoting a Davis Cup match.

But when the 2003 Masters Cup players arrived, the six foreign players were angered to see McIngvale shamelessly talking up and plugging American players Roddick and Andre Agassi on the court public address system and in promos, giving short shrift to the rest of the field.

Miles' reminders that this was an international tournament seemed to further irritate McIngvale and there was a flood of complaints about him from the non-American players. It didn't help that McIngvale came up about $1.5 million short in scoring advertising partners, which he blamed on the ATP.

If that were Miles' only irritation in Houston, he probably could handle it well. But now he has the irascible Ion Tiriac, the Madrid Masters executive, plus several tennis honchos associated with the Paris Masters coming in to demand action against players who "don't honor their commitments."

That would be Federer, Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Guillermo Coria, who pulled out of Madrid (Oct. 18-24) and Federer, Agassi and David Nalbandian, who didn't show for the Paris Indoors (Nov. 1-7).

Every one of these tennis people understand that after nine months there are no top players that aren't enduring some kind of injury pain, minor or major. Agassi, 34, has a hip strain. Roddick's knee flared up. Federer had a minor knee problem. Coria is just coming back from shoulder surgery.

And with Houston on the horizon, no one wants to show up in Texas in less than the best condition they can get into.

Roddick did honor his commitment in Paris, though he lost his second match, to Max Mirnyi, leaving him with only two matches in the last month. He could have some rust in Houston.

"I feel I'm in as good a shape as I have been so far this season," he said. "I'm definitely optimistic for Houston. I'm going to feel fine and, if I am not mistaken, there are a bunch of other guys in the field, too, who haven't played many matches going in. I'm not alone. I'm not super-worried."

The eight players are separated into two groups of four (No. 1 Federer, No. 3 Hewitt, No. 5 Carlos Moya and No. 8 Gaston Gaudio in the Red Group and No. 2 Roddick, No. 4 Marat Safin, No. 6 Coria and No. 8 Tim Henman in the Blue Group).

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 04:28 AM
thanks for the pics and articles :kiss:
yep andy definatly has the best tie :)

ataptc
11-14-2004, 04:45 AM
his blue tie looks refreshing :yeah:

snaillyyy
11-14-2004, 04:46 AM
Thanks Deb :hug:

If he would have changed the shoes :unsure: :retard:

Nishy
11-14-2004, 07:40 AM
Is this just me to think Andy is trying to be Justin Timberlake?

Justin Timberlake at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards.
Hair + Suits + Sneaker shoes... I see the similarity.

MisterQ
11-14-2004, 07:43 AM
good observation, Nishy! :cool: I definitely see the similarity.

Nishy
11-14-2004, 07:56 AM
am&a, I thought the same thing.
But he is not my new hero though. lol

Nishy
11-14-2004, 07:58 AM
good observation, Nishy! :cool: I definitely see the similarity.
Thank you. :)

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 08:37 AM
hahaha well andy said he wanted to be JT lol

Jennay
11-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Nice observation, Nishy :yeah:

The only thing is, Justin actually chose the correct pair of sneakers ;)

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 04:28 PM
I guess Andy and Roger didn't find the video as funny as Guille, Carlos, Marat, and Tim LMFAO!!!!!!!

Everything from the Houston Chronicle

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/11/14/tennis.jpg

Trim Roddick
Andy Roddick returned to Houston with noticeably shorter hair, but he fears he might have made a strategic mistake getting shorn so dramatically.

"If I'd known it was going to be this cold," he said Saturday, "I wouldn't have done it."

Roddick joked the new 'do would make him lighter and, hence, more effective — especially if he runs across Roger Federer in the semis or final. But, all kidding aside, Roddick is plenty fit. He has been training hard since the U.S. Open to prepare himself for the grueling Davis Cup final on clay in Spain in early December.

"I'm in about as good a shape as I've been, and as healthy as I've been, all year," he said. "The Davis Cup process started for me as soon as the U.S. Open was over.

"It's no secret that's not our favorite surface."

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
hey tangy :angel: there are pics from the opening ceremonies and the roundtable interviews on wireimage *hint hint* :aplot:

star
11-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Carlos's shoes!!!

But my my he has big feet. No wonder his girlfriends are so upset when he breaks up with them. ;)

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Carlos's shoes!!!

lol what about them?

There's a little blurb on the TMC site about Andy at the basketball game:
------
Roddick Visits Rockets

Andy Roddick took time out from his Tennis Masters Cup preparations on Saturday night to attend the Houston Rocket's NBA game against the LA Lakers. Unfortunately for home fans, Roddick's presence wasn't enough to help the Rockets, who lost by five points.

Roddick entertained the crowd during a break with a table tennis exhibition.
======

considering last year the saturday night before TMC he was hosting SNL, let's hope for an improvement this year :p

edit: well lookie lookie - an update from Brad! Thanks for this in-depth analysis of Andy's draw :o

11.14.2004 -

We've spent the last few days in Austin gearing up for the Masters Cup. Andy really likes playing in Houston. He feels at home there and loves playing for Mac and the awesome fans that pack into the West Side Tennis Club. I did a radio show with Mac last year and I've never seen a man with more passion and enthusiasm for the game. He's got my vote to take over as Mark Miles' replacement. If ever a man could move the game into the 21st century it's Mac.

The men's pools are out and Andy's group is complicated. His opening match is against Henman, who always plays his best tennis against Andy. Safin is the hottest player on tour now, but Andy got him in their last two meetings. Coria is playing in his first event since July, he definitely picked a tough one to start back on.

The most selfish move of the week belongs to Ron Artest of the Indiana Pacers. This guy says he needs time off because he is burn out after making a rap album. Are you kidding me? This is just another sad remainder of what's wrong with sports.

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 07:08 PM
thanks Deb :kiss:

hahaha, i was gonna watch that game last night on tv, and they would have showed andy most likely, but i didnt. oh well.

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 07:10 PM
I love Andy but not enough to sit through the Lakers :angel:

UH OH Timmy is pleased with houston so far too.... :eek: shocker, could the Macks actually have taken the criticism to heart??
----
And Henman believes the improved facilities in Houston can inspire him to success.

“I’ve been very pleasantly surprised since I got here,” said Henman.

“I obviously wasn’t here last year but the other players that were have told me that everything is much improved.

“The clubhouse has been extended, our facilities are great, we’re being treated very well and the court is nicely paced.”
======

on the other hand, he also says he's feeling well and is hitting the ball great. Watch the hell out, Andy. Time to beat him on your home turf, ok? :o

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 07:14 PM

UH OH Timmy is pleased with houston so far too.... :eek: shocker, could the Macks actually have taken the criticism to heart??
----
And Henman believes the improved facilities in Houston can inspire him to success.

“I’ve been very pleasantly surprised since I got here,” said Henman.

“I obviously wasn’t here last year but the other players that were have told me that everything is much improved.

“The clubhouse has been extended, our facilities are great, we’re being treated very well and the court is nicely paced.”
======

on the other hand, he also says he's feeling well and is hitting the ball great. Watch the hell out, Andy. Time to beat him on your home turf, ok? :o

The haters in GM won't know what to do with themselves anymore. :tears:

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 07:24 PM

lol, well i like the lakers and i was actually gonna watch the game anyways. but thats just me lol :p

and yeah, it sounds like a lot of the players really do like the place now. come on andy, dont let timmy beat you.....

zoltan83
11-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Carlos's shoes!!!

what's wrong with them?

BTW i like Andy's shoes for the ceremony :p :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 07:44 PM
The haters in GM won't know what to do with themselves anymore. :tears:

I weep for them :sad: :bigcry: Plus I see them complaining about Andy playing at night - when will they realize that playing at night is NOT an advantage at this type of tournament where the weather is iffy!? It's colder at night in Houston and if it rains, there's less of a possibility to get the match in if it starts at night. gee :o

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 08:03 PM
FB quoted GWH about how Roddick will almost certainly not be playing any day matches if that evil jingoistic Mattress Mac will have anything to say about it :o Can they possibly get any more paranoid about Mack/Andy/USA, etc? Never mind the fact that Andy DID play a day match last year, that's all beside the point (whatever the point is). You know, the GM 'tards have been whining about Mack for a whole year! :eek: I said to Socket, how much you want to bet that they'll STILL be complaining about Mack next year when it moves to Shanghai? And probably even the year after that. It's like they desperately need this whipping-boy to make themselves feel superior and enlightened. They're so tiresome. :yawn: :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, here are those wireimage pics you were looking for. Enjoy! :D

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Anyhoo, here are those wireimage pics you were looking for. Enjoy! :D

:smooch: :worship: :hug:

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 08:10 PM
thanks Tangy!!! :kiss:

and it is funny how they always find something to complain about in GM, as long as it has something to do with Andy, Mack, or anything American :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 08:35 PM
I love the look on their faces... like omg this is so boring why do we have to do this.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/TXDP106111412_1024x768.jpg

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 08:35 PM
haha yeah none of them look very enthusiastic :lol:

star
11-14-2004, 08:43 PM
That was a great picture of Roger's girly haircut. I :inlove: it!! I've been wanting him to get his hair cut for about 4 years. He's got great hair.

Andy has great hair too........ HAD great hair. :sad:

Golfnduck
11-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Andy looks intense in these pictures. As I've said before, I like his hair a little bit longer, like it was in Deuce Magazine. It was wayyyy to long at USO. Rogi does have a really girly haircut. I liked him with a ponytail more.

Deboogle!.
11-14-2004, 08:51 PM
how is this haircut girly but the ponytail NOT even more girly? LOL!

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Roger's so hot in that pic :hearts: :drool: Lovin' the new hairdo :worship: But Andy :ras: It just needs to be a tad longer. It's too short for winter.

I'm starting to change my mind about the sneaker bit. Once again, Andy finds a way to stand apart from the others, style-wise. Yes, it's very JT! :lol:

Danielle, yes, the people GM spend an inordinate amount of their time bashing a lot of things that, coincidentally, happen to be American. :o You'll hardly ever see them have conniption fits when bad behavior occurs in non-Americans (ie, the French Open crowd and their never-ending boos, whistles, etc.; Safin's unsporting oncourt behavior that always gets a free pass from GMers; etc etc). And people wonder why I think MTF is anti-American. Please. They need to open their eyes.

RodFan08
11-14-2004, 08:58 PM

I know, I think it looks good. As far as offcourt:)

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 09:17 PM
I loved Roger's ponytail. He looked like a European artiste with it. ;) The only one who's got a girly ponytail is Tommy Haas. :lol: Him and his colorful scrunchie bands; his curly ponytail bopping up and down like a cheerleader's ponytail. :D

Here's a portrait pic of Andy without the tag. :)

andyroxmysox12191
11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
thanks for all the pics! :kiss: I'm liking roger's haircut more and more now :D

Golfnduck
11-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, the ponytail is girly, but so many tennis players have ponytails, I just start ignoring it. I think this haircut will be more functional off court.

superpinkone37
11-14-2004, 11:08 PM
I loved Roger's ponytail. He looked like a European artiste with it. ;) The only one who's got a girly ponytail is Tommy Haas. :lol: Him and his colorful scrunchie bands; his curly ponytail bopping up and down like a cheerleader's ponytail. :D

:haha: :haha:

Jennay
11-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Tangy, I love you. :smooch: Thanks for the pics.

I like Roger's haircut. Now all he needs is some carmel highlights ;)

tangerine_dream
11-14-2004, 11:44 PM
hehe, I made amanda squeak :devil:

I was thinking: presuming Andy and Marat make it through their first RR matches, we should get some of the Marat fans to join us on MSN when they play their match. It would be a riot! Duck fans vs Hippo fans. :banana: Sol and jiat already talk with us online, and amanda is a Marat fan...who else could we invite? What do you all think? I think it would be fun. :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 12:10 AM
I think it would be horrific, quite frankly... LOL

Oh and maybe this is why Andy shaved his head again....silly Mike!

star
11-15-2004, 12:41 AM
I think it would be horrific, quite frankly... LOL

Oh and maybe this is why Andy shaved his head again....silly Mike!

That picture is truly grotesque.

star
11-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Tangy, I love you. :smooch: Thanks for the pics.

I like Roger's haircut. Now all he needs is some carmel highlights ;)

Yeah. Some really subtle highlights would be great. :)

I love that haircut!

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 12:43 AM
That picture is truly grotesque.

:eek: the pic of Mike and Bob???? In their matching suits.... grotesque????????????

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one :)

star
11-15-2004, 01:38 AM
oh, no way! don't you know that you two have to argue about it incessently until one or the other changes her mind or dies?!

I agree with you, Amanda. :lol:

star
11-15-2004, 01:39 AM
:eek: the pic of Mike and Bob???? In their matching suits.... grotesque????????????

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one :)

I think they are really very odd looking. The shaved head just makes the one of them look even odder.

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 01:40 AM
I agree with you, Amanda. :lol:

Well then you can have fun arguing with yourself - I'll save my creative argument juices for my memo on the most exciting topic ever - s.o.l. in legal malpractice cases :o :yawn:

star
11-15-2004, 01:44 AM
Yeah. Me either.

But, everyone is different. Some people evidently think Nalbandian is dreamy. :rolleyes: :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 01:46 AM
a wise decision indeed... (:
actually, the twins are kinda funky looking in that picture, but then again i never really find them attractive anyway.

You must never have seen them in person up close :hearts: :inlove: What's better than one adorable sexy man? TWO that look exactly the same!!!! ;)

tangerine_dream
11-15-2004, 01:53 AM
star: my thoughts on nalbandian...
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=860781&postcount=840

:haha: He looks like he works at a gas station.

star
11-15-2004, 01:53 AM
I've seen them up close...

star
11-15-2004, 01:54 AM
star: my thoughts on nalbandian...
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=860781&postcount=840

deb: you know i've never seen anyone! i live in my own little cave and only come out for food, that is when i'm not having pizza delivered... (:

ummmmm Pizza!

But I'm not eating until Thanksgiving.

andyroxmysox12191
11-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Ew Mike....no....bad idea.
but they are very :drool:-worthy in person. i still cant believe i got a pic with them. still thinking it was a dream lol
tangy: how about nikki? shes been with us in some chats as well (:

star
11-15-2004, 02:05 AM
See there, Mani. You're one of those who think they are darling. :)

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 02:06 AM
yea, smart girl that Mani ;)

superpinkone37
11-15-2004, 02:27 AM
You must never have seen them in person up close :hearts: :inlove: What's better than one adorable sexy man? TWO that look exactly the same!!!! ;)

i agree with you Deb :yeah: i saw them in person at IW but i didnt get to get very close. i think theyre both hot just based on pictures and tv and stuff. i dont know what star and amanda are talking about.....:p

Havok
11-15-2004, 02:29 AM
One walked right passed me in 2003, don't know which.:retard:

Anyways, I'm getting all the day matches at the TMC in Houston.:)

tangerine_dream
11-15-2004, 02:37 AM
The Bryan brothers, like Mardy, are much better looking in person than in pictures. :)

I bought another stack of 9 hour tapes today, I'm all set and ready for Houston! Bring it on. :banana:

star
11-15-2004, 02:37 AM
yay for you.

:p

This was meant for Naldo..... but Tangy sneaked inbetween. :)

andyroxmysox12191
11-15-2004, 03:17 AM
I'm not smart :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 05:53 AM
from an AFP article
------
Roddick, 2003's year-end number one, just plans to take whatever comes as he prepares for a rest. Since they are in differing groups, he might not even face Federer here.

"I'll go out and give it my best shot and maybe walk away surprising a few people," Roddick said. "I'm not worried about Roger. If I get him out there, fine, but I have Tim Henman on Tuesday and that's what I'm worried about."

====

Please do, Andy... I'm in need of a good surprise :p

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 05:57 AM
ha. andy just called tim "that". ha. (:

OMFG LMFAO!!!!!!!!! you really crack me up, Amanda. You kill me (; (hmm that doesn't really work)

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 06:06 AM
How about ummmm (8 - he's wearing sunglasses or something?or how about the one-eyed monster (o LOL.... you need to have more than 2 faces!!!

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 06:07 AM
oooooo I approve :yeah: and obviously, my approval is the most important thing:p

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 06:10 AM
oh yes!! Everyone needs a stoic face!!!!!!

superpinkone37
11-15-2004, 06:48 AM
lol amanda, i love you. you always crack me up :lol:

snaillyyy
11-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Nice to see he is practicing :devil: . but some of those expressions make me laugh :haha:

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
LMGDFAO!!!!!!! Every pic is funnier than the last! Well at least that means he's concentrating and working hard :p Plus he's volleying (or attempting to;)) so that requires extra energy from him :lol:

tangerine_dream
11-15-2004, 05:13 PM
:haha: Those pics are a riot. Thanks Carly. :D

Here's some blah-blah articles:

Hewitt, Safin and Roddick work on mental game for ATP Masters Cup

HOUSTON, United States (AFP) - Attitude adjustments will be crucial for Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Andy Roddick here this week at the ATP Masters Cup as they compete to become world number one Roger Federer's top challenger.

None of them can catch the Swiss triple Grand Slam champion in the year-end rankings, but all three could conclude the season second by winning the 3.7 million-dollar showdown of the year's eight top players that opens Monday.

Australia's third-ranked Hewitt plans to put his passion on display. Russia's fourth-rated Safin is working on anger management and second-ranked American Andy Roddick has adopted a relaxed attitude.

Such differing strategies could launch one of them into a starring role at January's Australian Open.

Federer defeated Safin in this year's Aussie final. Safin slumped after that but bounced back to win at Beijing in September, Madrid in October and Paris earlier this month, a recovery he credits to control of his often fiery temper.

"I'm trying to control it. That's why I'm starting to win matches, because I'm able to control it," Safin said.

Safin's anger analysis is less aboutg personal development than it is about finding a way to win.

"I'm not deep in psychology. I just like to win," Safin said. "If I have to shut up and keep quiet inside to win, that's what I'll do."

Hewitt is taking the absolute opposite approach, giving himself over to his emotions and enjoying the freedom of not having to chase for the top ranking.

"I don't have to be under the pressure to finish the year as number one. I can go out and enjoy myself," Hewitt said. "I just worry about going out there and being myself. I just get pumped up and show some enthusiasm out there."

Hewitt went 65-16 this year and won titles at Washington, Long Island, Sydney and Rotterdam. But the 23-year-old from Adelaide was ousted by the eventual champion in all four Grand Slam events.

Federer beat Hewitt in the fourth round at Australia, the Wimbledon quarter-finals and the US Open final as well as a Hamburg semi-final while Argentina's Gaston Gaudio ousted him in the French Open quarter-finals.

Hewitt, the 2001 and 2002 Masters Cup winner, was a Paris quarter-final loser to Safin. But the speedy Aussie takes some comfort from a solid effort.

"Even though I lost to Marat in the quarter-finals, it was more like a final there. Hopefully that will hold me in good stead," Hewitt said. "I've performed well in Masters Cups in the past and I look forward to a good week here."

Roddick, 2003's year-end number one, just plans to take whatever comes as he prepares for a rest. Since they are in differing groups, he might not even face Federer here.

"I'll go out and give it my best shot and maybe walk away surprising a few people," Roddick said. "I'm not worried about Roger. If I get him out there, fine, but I have Tim Henman on Tuesday and that's what I'm worried about."

========

Rusty Roddick not too worried

HOUSTON: Having played just two official matches over the past six weeks doesn’t seem to be a problem for Andy Roddick heading into tomorrow’s start of the US$4.45mil Masters Cup.*

As he looks to the three-way battle for year-end second place behind Switzerland’s Roger Federer, the brash American insists that his down time has not been a problem for his game.*

"I’m going to feel fine," said Roddick, who crashed out last week in the third round at the last regular event of the ATP season, the Paris Masters. "If I'm not mistaken, there are a bunch of other guys in the field, too, who haven't had that many matches going in.*

"I know I'm not alone."

Roddick, who went 2-2 last year at the outdoor event in Houston, losing a semi-final to eventual champion Federer, has played only Paris since losing the Bangkok final decisively as the Swiss collected a 10th title of the campaign in early October.*

Roddick somehow found time for some exhibition matches at home last month, but didn’t front up for the Madrid Masters, one of several top names who didn’t bother with the biggest autumn tournaments on the annual calendar.*

But Roddick remains convinced he's plotting the right strategy. "I feel like I’m hitting the ball great," said the man who briefly reached world number one in 2003.*

With a 71-15 match record in 2004, Roddick made an early appearance in Houston this week, for the second and final edition of the event in the Texas city, just a few hundred kilometres from his base in Austin.*

"I'll give it a go, I'm not super worried. I feel I'm in as good a shape as I've been this year so far. I'm definitely optimistic for Houston."

Roddick is vying with another pair of rivals who have also reached the top ranking, Russian Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt.*

With Federer already a lock on top status when the season ends a week from today with the Masters Cup final, the other three rivals trail. Roddick is top of that pile with 671 points, with Hewitt on 638 and Safin 572.*

The big-hitting Safin has been the point man of the last month, lifting a double with Madrid and Paris trophies and playing his way into contention to challenge the other two.*

Hewitt lost in the Paris third round and admitted that Safin would be tough to hold off. "He's going to be one of the red-hot players," said the Aussie, who held No. 1 in 2001 and 2002.*

"He's going to be confident going in. When he's confident and dedicated, he's going to be tough to beat on any surface."

Hewitt and Safin will both be playing Houston for the first time after failing to qualify in 2003.*

"I haven't been there, I don't know how windy it gets," said Hewitt, who admits that with no chance to grab the top ranking he's using the week as a tune-up for what really matters to him – January's Australian Open.*

The Masters Cup format includes four players each in Red and Blue Groups playing a round-robin to reach the semi-finals. The final is on Nov 21.*

Federer is seeded atop the Blue Group, which also includes Safin, Guillermo Coria of Argentina and Britain’s Tim Henman. Roddick leads the Red Group that also includes Hewitt, Spain's Carlos Moya and French Open champion Gaston Gaudio of Argentina.

tangerine_dream
11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
By the way, DEUCE will now become a quarterly magazine instead of annual. Whoo hoo! Four more magazine covers with Andy on them! :woohoo:

ATP Will Offer More DEUCE
By Tennis Week
11/15/2004

The ATP will reach Deuce on a quarterly basis next year. The ATP announced it has reached a seven-year deal with Skies America International Publishing & Communications, a custom magazine publisher based in Portland, Oregon, to expand its annual publication DEUCE to a quarterly magazine.

The new agreement for distribution rights in the U.S. and Canada means the magazine will be made available by subscription as well as through retail outlets. The new quarterly structure and a partner with a global sales and distribution network also gives the ATP the potential to take DEUCE into different worldwide markets over the course of the partnership.*

"When we decided to first publish DEUCE in 2002, we did so because we believed there would be demand in the U.S.market for a comprehensive, high-quality magazine about men's tennis," DEUCE Editor-in-Chief and ATP Sr. Vice President, Corporate Communications David Higdon said in a statement. "We're delighted that tennis fans so overwhelmingly embraced DEUCE, and we're pleased that our new partner shares our vision for expanded distribution to ATP fans around the world."

Skies America was founded as a custom publisher in 1979 following airline deregulation, and they have published a number of in-flight magazines including Northwest Airlines, Braniff and Midway, according to the ATP release on the deal. Over the years, they expanded their custom publishing to include business-to-business magazines as well as sports publications, working with two National Basketball Association (NBA) teams and one Major League Baseball (MLB) team. They began a Japanese-language publishing division in 1990 when working with Northwest Airlines.

DEUCE Magazine has distinguished itself from sports publications through its inside view of the players and tournaments on the ATP circuit. The 2004 edition features Andy Roddick photographed in his backyard in Austin,Texas. The accompanying cover story provides an exclusive glimpse of Roddick's off-court life at his new home. Other highlights of the 2004 edition include a fashion shoot with doubles stars Bob and Mike Bryan, Andre Agassi's personal reflections on what he considers his ten greatest achievements, and a portrait of INDESIT ATP 2004 Race champion Roger Federer.

Advertisers in the current edition include Mercedes-Benz, Wilson Racquets, INDESIT, Franklin Templeton Investments, Penn, Michelob, Blue Star Jets, Lotto, Les Thermes Marins de Monte-Carlo, Club Med, Babolat, Waterford Crystal, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Luxilon, AOL, Dewars, Tennis Warehouse and the Sports International Group of Companies.

The change from an annual publication to quarterly will allow DEUCE to provide more timely insights into the players and the tournaments. DEUCE will continue to be distributed at leading bookstores including Barnes & Noble, Borders and Books-A-Million, at ATP tournaments and online at ATPtennis.com.

Golfnduck
11-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Bandy looks like a Ninja turtle when he play tennis. I keep thinking he's gonna say "HIIIIIIYYYAAAA"

tangerine_dream
11-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Safin can match Federer - Krajicek
Nov 14, 2004

Roger Federer starts a strong favourite to win a second successive Masters Cup after claiming three of the four Grand Slams in 2004.

However, Marat Safin looks ready to challenge on the back of two Masters Series titles in quick succession.

And Britain is represented at the event for only the second time after Tim Henman qualified in seventh position following his best-ever year.

Former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek gives BBC Sport the lowdown on the eight men lining up in Houston.

1. ROGER FEDERER

He hasn't played much over the last couple of weeks but it's amazing to me that, so soon after Sampras, there might be a guy who can break the record for the most Grand Slam titles.

Here you have a guy that plays similarly to Sampras, but does some things even better than Pete did. He moves better, he has a better backhand, and he's as laid back as Pete was. Now let's see how he plays after having a few weeks' rest.

2. ANDY RODDICK

Big serve, great competitor and a big fighter. He had a great quote once - he said he was so competitive that if someone said they could spit a long way, he would get them to show him how far they could spit and then try to beat it!

He's very good for tennis.

3. LLEYTON HEWITT

A great character on the court, another fighter, with a great forehand and an even better backhand. The only thing that can go off is his serve. He is very fast and an unbelievably nice guy.

A lot of people may not realise that, but the way he helped me last year at the ABN/AMRO event in Rotterdam where I am tournament director, doing extra media stuff, meeting the sponsors, he earned all my respect as a person and a player.

4. CARLOS MOYA

A guy who has been at the top for a long time, he won the French Open in 1998, made the final of the Australian Open in 1997 and is a very dangerous player.

He has a big forehand and is also very fast. A very cool customer on the court - I like his attitude.

5. GUILLERMO CORIA

A great mover, very fast, and a competitor, but on anything other than clay he needs to fight because he doesn't have huge weapons.

He has a chance but he needs to be fully fit - fitness is the biggest part of his game, next to the head he has on his shoulders and his attitude. He gets to so many balls back, he's fun to watch if he plays someone attacking.

6. MARAT SAFIN

So talented. The guy got to the final of the Australian Open this year out of the blue and then I had the feeling he hardly played a match all year. Then he won Madrid and Paris! In his way, I think he is very good for tennis.

I hope that he gets a little bit more consistent because he proved his quality when he won the US Open in 2000 and beat Sampras in the final. If his game is on, he is the one player that can match Federer.

7. TIM HENMAN

Smart player. Also a good fighter, and this is under-valued in him. He knows how to play. He comes in, stays back, hits the slice short or deep and he's a very intelligent player.

He has a chance. He needs to start well, but yes, I give him a good chance.

8. GASTON GAUDIO

Great backhand - a really beautiful backhand - but, for me, on hardcourts he doesn't have a chance to win.

Maybe he can be first or second in the group and make it to the semis but to win, with guys like Federer, Safin and Henman, it's going to be difficult.

Richard Krajicek is one of 12 tennis champions who will contest The Masters Tennis at The Royal Albert Hall in London, 30 November - 5 December.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/tennis/3996433.stm

Fumus
11-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Andy Timberlake at the cup...lets just hope he doesn't rip anyones clothing off...lol

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Couldn't they get andy a hitting partner who volleys a little better than Brad? like a Bryan twin or something? :o
----------
Andy Busy in Houston
By Sarah Alvanipour
2004-11-15
The temperatures are dipping low in Houston, but action is getting heated as play gets underway today at the Tennis Masters Cup. The Red Group begins play today with top seed Roger Federer in action in the afternoon session and the man attempting to take over Andy for the No. 2 spot, Llyeton Hewitt, playing Carlos Moya in the evening session.

Meanwhile, Andy, who is set to play on Tuesday night at 7 pm, has been busy with a variety of activities both on court and off.

Yesterday, Andy got in two practice sessions, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. Coach Brad Gilbert, trainer Doug Spreen, and equipment manager Grant Morgan were all on hand.

Andy hit with Brad Gilbert in the pm session. The practice went beyond the usual drills as the two played points, with Brad coming into net frequently, giving Andy an idea as to what he can expect when he takes on serve and volleyer Tim Henman.

In the evening, Andy made an appearance at a media party honoring Deuce magazine. He along with Tim Henman and Marat Safin came to promote the magazine which bears them on its current cover.

Stay tuned to AR.com for the latest from Houston.

Havok
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
It doesn't really matter how good/bad of a volleyer Brad is. As long as someone is there attacking the net gives him a good idea as to the pressure he'll be under to hit passing shots.

Deboogle!.
11-15-2004, 09:18 PM
According to Jon Wertheim, this station http://www.kcohradio.com/kcohradiomain.shtml is broadcasting from TMC, and they have live webcast! - Bud Collins is doing the commentary for them and I remember from Indy this summer that he rocks with the commentary - could be good for the night matches when we don't have live TV :)

Golfnduck
11-15-2004, 11:01 PM
He should practice with the Bryans. They are probably better volleyers than Brad.

Havok
11-15-2004, 11:07 PM
After seeing Fed's new 'do on a proper computer screen at school, his hair is even more girly than I had made it out to be. Martina Hingis in Tachinni in the late 90's anybody?:scared::haha:

Golfnduck
11-15-2004, 11:35 PM
After seeing Fed's new 'do on a proper computer screen at school, his hair is even more girly than I had made it out to be. Martina Hingis in Tachinni in the late 90's anybody?:scared::haha:
LOL!!!! :rolls: :haha:

superpinkone37
11-16-2004, 12:36 AM

LOL!! but you're right...and i saw a pic of him finally playing with the hair like that, and yeah, its way girly lol :lol:

omfg, those pictures of andy practicing are hilarious!! :haha:
and yeah, a better volleyer practicing him might help, but the point is for andy to make his passing shots and make it so the guy at the net cant volley.

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 01:04 AM
hey, looks like the Houston radio station link really works - they're gonna have the singles match tonight it seems! :banana:

andyroxmysox12191
11-16-2004, 01:28 AM
I wonder if we can call in and have a repeat from *ahem* SOMEONE. *looks up at new york*

superpinkone37
11-16-2004, 01:29 AM
hey, looks like the Houston radio station link really works - they're gonna have the singles match tonight it seems! :banana:

yay :banana:

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Here's Andy's full interview from Saturday!

I wonder who was so fixated on his food... sheesh!

And the whole passage about Brad's book.... LMFAO!
======

2004 TENNIS MASTERS CUP
HOUSTON, TEXAS

November 13, 2004

ANDY RODDICK

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Andy.

Q. What do you eat before a match?

ANDY RODDICK: Food. You?

Q. Anything in particular?

ANDY RODDICK: Normally just some -- maybe a sandwich and some vegetables, something like that.

Q. Some pasta?

ANDY RODDICK: Sometimes. I don't have a set meal.

Q. How many hours do you eat before a match?

ANDY RODDICK: Couple.

Q. What's it going to take in 2005 for it to be a successful year for you?

ANDY RODDICK: It's tough to say. Obviously, I think a Slam is a measure of a great year. But, you know, this year I didn't win a Slam, I still felt like I had a pretty good year. I won over 70 matches again. I'm not sure. I don't really think in those terms.

Q. But to regain No. 1, what do you think you should do next year?

ANDY RODDICK: Beat Roger more (laughing). No, you know, I think I'm improving along the right path. It's just a matter of a couple things here and there. You know, I feel like I'm close and I feel like that's a possibility. I'm going to try my best to get back there.

Q. On the point of Roger, what do you think, what's it going to take? You made the comment early on, in order to have a rivalry, you have to win a few of these.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. What do you think the difference is? What are you going to have to do to make that difference?

ANDY RODDICK: I think I'm going to have to become a better athlete. I think right now, Roger kind of gets me when we get into the extended rallies. He's a more fluid mover at this point. And, you know, I think it's just a matter of keeping an aggressive mindset against him, you know. I was pretty close at Wimbledon, again in Toronto, first set Love-40, comes up with three aces. Hopefully, he won't do that much more next year (laughing). I feel like I'm close, it's tough to go from close to, you know, kind of jump over that little hump. But I'm going to try my best.

Q. Do you look at film with him?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I don't know if there are weaknesses, but maybe things that, with Roger, I don't think you can really look and say, "Okay, his weakness is this." I think I have to say, "What can I do most effectively against him? How can I make my game most effective?" We'll try to look at some film in the off-season.

Q. It sounds like it's not going to be technical tennis. But you have to handle him.

ANDY RODDICK: I'm not sure. You know, if I came up with something new, trust me, I wouldn't tell you guys (laughter).

Q. We might tell him?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm not going to make it that...

Q. Before Gilbert, did you watch film?

ANDY RODDICK: I still haven't watched film. But now we might have to incorporate that into it. But I've never been big on watching film.

Q. I want to talk about the Davis Cup. Pat McEnroe said to the Washington Post that maybe the key is going to be physically in great shape. What do you plan to do from here to December?

ANDY RODDICK: I've already been working on that for the past month. I'm in about as good a shape as I have been, as healthy as I have been for this whole year. That's already starting. The Davis Cup process started for me as soon as the US Open was over.

Q. And what does it mean for you to go to the final, be able to regain a title that the US has not won in a while?

ANDY RODDICK: We hear a lot about we haven't won it in ten years. In all fairness, not one person from this team was on that team. While it's the same country, it's not the same people. It's not like I had the No. 1 ranking and now I don't have it. It's a completely different team, a completely different dynamic. We're excited. We feel with the group of guys we have, we've been building there for three or four years now. Now to have a chance at the title, it's very exciting for us.

Q. The clay surface, do you think it's a weakness for you?

ANDY RODDICK: It's no secret that's not our favorite surface, but that's what we have to deal with. We're going in knowing that. There are no surprises. We're going in there, we're going to try to win three matches. I think you just have to simplify your thinking.

Q. Are you going to work out here at all?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I haven't talked to Patrick that much. My focus has kind of been on Masters Cup for right now.

Q. When will you go over?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm sure we'll go over -- I think for right now, our tentative plan is to leave the day after Thanksgiving. Get over there early.

Q. Do you feel more comfortable if Andre Agassi would have been on the team? Will you feel less pressure?

ANDY RODDICK: It's an irrelevant question because he's not. You know, it's not, I mean, no offense, but it's not worth talking about because it's not a possibility.

Q. Do you feel a lot of pressure, being with Mardy Fish, with all due respect, you are going to be any way, no matter the player that is on the team, but do you feel pressure?

ANDY RODDICK: There's pressure no matter what. We're in a Davis Cup final, especially in a foreign country on not our favorite surface. I look at it as we're the underdogs. I don't know if anybody's expecting a lot for us, therefore, we'll go out, give it our best, maybe we'll walk away surprising a few people. Who knows.

Q. Are you working with Mardy about building his own confidence level and playing? He seems to waiver somewhat, relies upon you for mentoring, leadership.

ANDY RODDICK: If he asks questions, which he does sometimes, then I'll offer. But we're friends. I'm not going to talk down to Mardy or pretend like I know everything. I'm still learning myself. But, I mean, he knows. If he ever has any questions about how to handle things and stuff, I've kind of seen it before, even though I'm pretty young. All the guys on the team know, even the young Juniors coming up know that if I can help them at all, then I'm willing.

Q. You're a crowd favorite here. Does that really make a difference when you're in the tough matches?

ANDY RODDICK: I think so. I have a lot of history with the fans here in Houston, starting from I won my second-ever event here in Houston when I was 18. So, you know, this is definitely -- I have a lot of memories here. A lot of familiar faces, just the people volunteering at the tournament. You know, people in the restaurant here, I've known them for four years now. So it's definitely a comfortable feeling and one that hopefully will work in my benefit. But that's all for naught if I don't play well, you know.

Q. This surface, against Roger, how do you evaluate him on the different surfaces?

ANDY RODDICK: To be fair, I have to win a lot of matches to even get there. So I'm not worried about Roger right now. If that comes to fruition (:eek: Andy with the big words!), then I'll discuss it. But I have Henman on Tuesday night and that's going to be tough.

Q. How do you feel about this surface?

ANDY RODDICK: I like it. It's an outdoor hard court. My favorite place to play.

Q. How different is it from the US Open? Is this the same as on the tour?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I don't know if it's -- the US Open might be a little quicker. It's tough to tell. I only hit in 45 minutes in freezing weather. It's tough to compare to Cincinnati, where it's 95 degrees and humid. You don't know how much of it is the court and how much of it is the weather.

Q. Do you like the fact that it's now level?

ANDY RODDICK: It's nice (smiling). It's good.

Q. What about this week?

ANDY RODDICK: It's great. People questioned the McIngvales last year. They really stepped up and put together what I'm sure will be a good event. As soon as you walk in the door, the improvements are noticeable. It's a credit to them.

Q. Any comments about Brad's book?

ANDY RODDICK: I haven't read it. No, I'm just playing. I read like the precopy of it. That's for you guys to decide, not me.

Q. You're quoted a lot.

ANDY RODDICK: I just bought the author, so I don't need to worry about reading the book (smiling). :haha:

Q. Can I go back a little bit to the Davis Cup. You were talking about the American...

ANDY RODDICK: Why read the book when I hired the coach?

Q. That's a great answer.

ANDY RODDICK: I'll save my $16, you know.

Q. $23.

ANDY RODDICK: You see, even worse. You pay that. I don't have to. :haha:

Q. He's more expensive than the book.

ANDY RODDICK: I should have bought the book. It would have been cheaper (smiling). :haha:

Q. You were talking about having the public with you here, the audience. What do you expect in Spain? They built a court in an Olympic stadium. It's going to be 23,000 crazy Spanish...

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's going to be crazy. You know, obviously, we're not going to be, you know, they're not going to be cheering for us. We expect that. If it's 23,000 people, we expect 22,900 to be cheering for Spain. Like I said, the good thing about it is we know what we're getting into when we go over there. It's not going to be a surprise. We know it's going to be tough but we go in knowing that, with the mindset that we just have to try our best to deal with it.

Q. Your serve being your best weapon, do you think playing on clay, are you less secure about your weapons, about your serve?

ANDY RODDICK: No, we've discussed that already. It's not my favorite surface. That's not a secret.

Q. How do you plan to contrast the surface with your game?

ANDY RODDICK: As best I can. You know, we'll see. I'm going to go in there, give it my all, hopefully play well. Like I said, it's a team effort. It's not just about me. Hopefully as a team, we can get three wins somehow.

Q. Between Ferrero, Moya, which game do you prefer?

ANDY RODDICK: They're both -- they've both won the French Open. That's if they play, you know. Nadal coming on, Robredo coming on. So far in my career I've had a lot of success against those guys but like you said, I haven't played them on clay that much. I'm interested to see how the matchups go.

Q. You played against Robredo here in 2002?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. Will you prefer to play with Robredo in Spain?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I don't think I'll be playing Robredo there. I'm 8-0 against him. I've beat him on clay before. I don't know if they'll play him against me. If they do, then it will be a surprise. :lol:

Q. Have you studied like all matches in Spain, like video?

ANDY RODDICK: No, because, like I said, it's not the same players. It's not, you know -- I played a semifinal tie away in France in front of 16, 17,000 people. That was a couple years ago. I know a little bit about what it might be like. No, I'm excited. I'm super excited.

Q. And the Davis Cup, it's like a patriotic thing to win it for the United States. How do you feel about like representing your country?

ANDY RODDICK: Absolutely. Absolutely.

Q. What is your personal feeling?

ANDY RODDICK: In any sport if you get asked to represent your country, I mean, play on behalf of your country, it's obviously a great honor, you know. And, you know, if you're able to bring the Davis Cup back, then it will be something special for all of us.

Q. It's bigger than a Grand Slam title personally?

ANDY RODDICK: It's definitely -- it's different. You can't really compare the two because they're two totally different things. A Grand Slam, you're playing for yourself most of the time. This involves...

Q. The whole country.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Exactly. It involves everybody. It's tough to compare the two. They're both huge, though.

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Matt Cronin from tr.net spouts more ridiculosity
------
Andy Roddick: Despite his claims to the contrary, this has not been a great year for A-Rod. Other than an excellent Miami, a strong run at Wimbledon – where he put up a terrific fight against Fed in the final and solid play in Davis Cup against lesser competition – he's come up short when it mattered most. But Roddick is still young and still has much to improve upon, which bodes well for the future if he keeps an open mind to change.

He badly needs to do well here to brush up his year. Moreover, he needs to post a 2004 win over Federer if he is going to seriously challenge him next year. As the only American in the field (how embarrassing is that?), he'll have the crowd firmly behind him. He comes into the tournament fresh and with a tremendous amount of motivation. He's the pick here to win it all.

superpinkone37
11-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Q. What do you eat before a match?

ANDY RODDICK: Food. You?
:haha: :haha:

and i love that whole part about brad's book :lol: ...which reminds me...i still need to buy that.

Havok
11-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Matt Cronin from tr.net spouts more ridiculosity
------
Andy Roddick: Despite his claims to the contrary, this has not been a great year for A-Rod. Other than an excellent Miami, a strong run at Wimbledon – where he put up a terrific fight against Fed in the final and solid play in Davis Cup against lesser competition – he's come up short when it mattered most. But Roddick is still young and still has much to improve upon, which bodes well for the future if he keeps an open mind to change.

He badly needs to do well here to brush up his year. Moreover, he needs to post a 2004 win over Federer if he is going to seriously challenge him next year. As the only American in the field (how embarrassing is that?), he'll have the crowd firmly behind him. He comes into the tournament fresh and with a tremendous amount of motivation. He's the pick here to win it all.
Sheesh what a load of crap. Considering that Roger has owned this year and Andy sucks on clay, this has been a really good year for Andy. Winning 4 titles (on 3 different surfaces and winning a TMS event, Miami to boot;)) and notching another 70+ wins this season is really good. Sure winning a slam and getting a win over Federer would have been great, but I love how they keep on pinning him to his loses to Roger. How come they don't pick on Hewitt (HELLO fucking ate 5 bagels from Roger this year) or Safin (when the heck was the last time he even beat Fed?) when it comes to building up a rivalry with the #1? Do they just not see it so automatically brush it off? For a second there I thought I was reading the shit from tennis-x, which closely rivals the shit some haters write in the GM. Also why is it embarassing for Andy to be the only American at the TMC? Does Matt realize Sampras is retired and Andre was injured for quite a while this year? And besides there isn't anybodye else of great talent from the US pulling up the rear (Mardy's head is :retard: so not yet for him).

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Who knows, Naldo... then he picks Andy to win the whole thing, which is almost as ridiculous a statement considering how much trouble he has with Tim and he has almost no match play and he's not a player that typically does great when he's so rusty...Whatever.. guess we'll find out soon enough (weather-permitting :o:o)

Here's a preview from the TMC site
=====
In the evening, Andy Roddick and Tim Henman will have no problem with the surface as both have enjoyed considerable success on this kind of court. For Roddick, however, Houston has become a home away from home over the years. He won the ATP clay court title at the Westside when he was only 18 and has been in the final for four consecutive years, losing on his last appearance to Tommy Haas. As ever, the US Davis Cup star is looking forward to playing in such a familiar atmosphere.

“I have a lot of history with the fans here in Houston; a lot of familiar faces, just the people volunteering at the tournament and in the players’ restaurant. So it’s definitely a comfortable feeling and one that will, hopefully, work to my benefit. But that’s all for naught if I don’t play well.”

And Roddick knows that, against Henman he has to play at his best. The British No 1 holds a 3-1 winning record over the American. Henman became the only player to beat Roddick when Andy rampaged through the US Summer Circuit on his way to winning the US Open title in 2003 and then beat him against at the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris and repeated the dose in a hard fought 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 victory in the quarter finals at Indian Wells last March.

In fact, only when they were drawn in the first round of last year’s US Open was Roddick able to cut the Brit down to size. So, even allowing for the fact that Roddick has home court advantage, this is a match that can go either way. Henman will obviously take heart from his record against Roddick but he has been keen to emphasize the new approach he takes on court with him which basically worries less about his opponent and more about his own game.

When asked about any weaknesses in Roddick’s game that he might like to exploit, he replied, “When you talk about attacking weaknesses then I think your mind is moving away from your own game. If I chip and charge on second serves, I think the odds are that I’m going to win, irrespective of what my opponent does. In the past I’ve probably worried too much about my opponent’s style. Whereas now I just say, ‘This is the way I’m going to play and we’ll see what happens.’”

Havok
11-16-2004, 04:46 AM
Hemna's lucky he was asked about Andy and his comment about his second serve. Put it a good returner of serve vs Henman's 2nd serve and its end.:tape:

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 04:58 AM
Well hopefully Andy heard about what he said. Last time someone said something like that he got his ass kicked, what was it, three times in 4 weeks? ;)

And yea Naldo that may be true... but... Andy's not really a good returner lol

superpinkone37
11-16-2004, 05:41 AM
yeah, but theres a big difference between keifer and henman...

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 05:43 AM
yeah, but theres a big difference between keifer and henman...

oh I know. but it's still the same point... it's not a good idea to piss Andy off ;) I guess we'll see depending on how big he tries to go for his second serves. he's made a difference in his 2nd serve even since March, so we'll see.

superpinkone37
11-16-2004, 05:46 AM
yeah his second serve really has improved. and i knew what you meant about anyone pissing andy off better watch out, but i just had to point that out lol :p anyways, is his match supposed to be shown in tomorrow night's coverage or what?

Deboogle!.
11-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Yea, like 8pm our time, so planned to be a few ours tape-delayed. But the weather tomorrow looks so bad :(