The biggest sporting fact that you guys took away from being exposed to tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The biggest sporting fact that you guys took away from being exposed to tennis?

BAMJ6
07-19-2012, 06:19 AM
I've been following tennis for a while since 1992. Andre of course being my all time favorite. He won a bunch of slams been a legend, grew up watching his image the whole deal. But it wasn't until years after he retired that I took this sports lesson.

Mine was tennis prime and average retirement ages are at 5+ years earlier than other sports. I never had to think about that because Andre's 2 primes were the years other athletes primes were supposed to be, he was effective well into his 30's, and retired at a typical 36 years old. The players from my past that preceded him also were great, effective and retired at similar ages (Mac at 35 and Connors at 41)

It was only after Andre left that it hit me that tennis players peak and retire much earlier than other sports. Players barely hitting 30 or retiring in their late 20's for the average player while in other sports like LeBron, Wade, Howard, Bosh, Tyson Chandler, Amare, Carmelo. And David Wright and Granderson and Pujols in baseball were still effective to all star to HOF players at the same ages as retiring tennis players.

Do posters here understand my thought process?

Travod
07-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Jon Lovitz's Court Calls.

n8
07-19-2012, 06:48 AM
You've got to start young. I mean, training regularly at 10, 11, 12. You're not much hope if you just had the occasional hit with the folks growing up and decided to get serious at 15.

Lurking
07-19-2012, 07:08 AM
The belief that 'nobody could have seen it coming' is a myth in most cases.

moon language
07-19-2012, 07:11 AM
The smallest reduction in explosiveness in tennis can have major ramifications. It's different than other sports where a loss in explosiveness due to age doesn't stand to alter the entire complexion of your game (for example an NBA player can still be effective with their shooting, assists, etc while only their defense and ability to create space off the dribble suffers as they slow down).

duong
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
there are many different sports : it just depends which sports you're comparing with.

In gymnastics or in swimming, peak and retirement ages are much younger than in tennis.

Johnny Groove
07-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Anything in life is possible.

If #100 in the world can beat a 2 time champion, and a player outside the top #1000 can beat a top 20 player, both of which have happened very recently, anything can happen.

duong
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
if the question is "what I've learnt with time", it's that people talk a lot about "shots" but legs make for quite 50% of modern tennis.

Time Violation
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
It was only after Andre left that it hit me that tennis players peak and retire much earlier than other sports. Players barely hitting 30 or retiring in their late 20's for the average player while in other sports like LeBron, Wade, Howard, Bosh, Tyson Chandler, Amare, Carmelo. And David Wright and Granderson and Pujols in baseball were still effective to all star to HOF players at the same ages as retiring tennis players.

Do posters here understand my thought process?

Yup, Gasol making top $ and he's well into his 30s, while here anyone except Fed is being considered washed up after 27 or so :)

BAMJ6
07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Yup, Gasol making top $ and he's well into his 30s, while here anyone except Fed is being considered washed up after 27 or so :)

My exact point. I never considered 27 as past his prime/over the hill because in the big 4 sports and boxing it's prime age. Agassi when he was 27 I never thought was washed up, just that had a bad year that he needed to respond to. In other sports, any proven good player can have a bad year and not be washed up and come back to be good again.