How many GS's would Fed have if he had a two-handed BH? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many GS's would Fed have if he had a two-handed BH?

mystic ice cube
07-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Discuss. Do you think the variety of his single-handed backhand has given him more than a two-hander, or do you think he would have more if he possessed this shot? Feel free to include how he would have fared against Nadal, Roddick, Nole, in slams with your reasoning's.

Freak3yman84
07-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Depends how good with a two-handed backhand. Like give me a level, like is his backhand John Isner level or David Nalbandian level??

mystic ice cube
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Well if possible, lets say his two-hander is as good as his single-handed backhand.

Freak3yman84
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Well if possible, lets say his two-hander is as good as his single-handed backhand.

Then he'd do a hell of a lot better... I'm pretty sure it explains itself. He might have less supporters though because of the type of people who are over the moon about one-handed backhands though :lol:

Federer_28
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
It would be the same , Fed's back hand is underated .

Sophocles
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
The question is too counter-factual. If Fed had had a 2-handed backhand, he'd have been a different player in other respects too.

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:35 PM
10 slams. All French Opens.

Alex999
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
It would be the same , Fed's back hand is underated .
I agree completely that his BH is underrated. Fed's BH is really a beautiful shot to watch. I think most guys here are making fun of his BH because of the fact that Nadal is able to exploit it to no end. However guys, think about it ... how many times Fed ripped so many amazing winners with his BH from almost impossible positions...:) ... too lazy to post some videos, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

HKz
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree completely that his BH is underrated. Fed's BH is really a beautiful shot to watch. I think most guys here are making fun of his BH because of the fact that Nadal is able to exploit it to no end. However guys, think about it ... how many times Fed ripped so many amazing winners with his BH from almost impossible positions...:) ... too lazy to post some videos, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Yes, it is really only Nadal that can consistently exploit Federer's backhand. Djokovic can sometimes, but honestly if Federer is moving too well, Novak can only hurt Federer so much off his backhand, because Federer doesn't necessarily have a problem handling pace from his backhand wing. Plus, the backhand isn't Federer's bread and butter, so what difference would it make if we took his current play style and game while changing his one-handed backhand into a similarly effective two-handed backhand? Nothing really. He would still run around many backhands to hit a forehand, his serve would still be dominant, etc.

asmazif
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
8. No more, no less. It's obvious how his career would have panned out.

sexybeast
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Ok, he would beat Nadal in some of those finals with a good twohanded backhand, maybe even one in RG. Some aspects of his game would simply be worse, I think on grass he would be a lesser player with 2h backhand.

Backhand_Maestro
07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
He would be like Tsonga

uwAmU7YY8nk

Federer in 2
07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
It wouldn't have been Federer.

abraxas21
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
he'd have to learn from murray

http://yourvolleyssuck.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/watbackhand2.jpg?w=590

Honestly
07-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Two-handed bh's are for girls.

Sophocles
07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, it is really only Nadal that can consistently exploit Federer's backhand.

And usually only on high-bouncing surfaces.

Juz78
07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
See for yourself ;)

rX2_1Jv7vsA

mystic ice cube
07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Ok, he would beat Nadal in some of those finals with a good twohanded backhand, maybe even one in RG. Some aspects of his game would simply be worse, I think on grass he would be a lesser player with 2h backhand.
I agree on the Nadal aspect. If Federer had a way of neutralizing Nadals game-plan like Nole does with his two-hander we might have seen some different outcomes in the finals they played. Of course on the flipside we he probably wouldn't have gotten some the titles he already has with his current BH.

@Juz78 - Great vid. It's almost awkward seeing Fed hit a two-hander.

manadrainer
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
He's have less slams, but maybe he'd have a positive h2h against Rafa. :)

I'd take the one-handed...

dencod16
07-18-2012, 06:37 PM

of course it's beautiful to watch is single handed. Its good but not great. Still Gasquet has the best backhand on tour single handed that is.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
he'd have a positive H2H with rafa
but i think nole and murray would beat him more often

Singularity
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
of course it's beautiful to watch is single handed. Its good but not great. Still Gasquet has the best backhand on tour single handed that is.
Gasquet's requires too much backswing, though.

Johnbert
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
fed wouldn't be fed with a two-handed bh

viruzzz
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
When Roger's backhand is ON, he can play really well that shot.
If you watch a video-compilation of Roger's backhand, you'll be amazed, one of the better shots I've ever seen came from that backhand.

Johnbert
07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
When Roger's backhand is ON, he can play really well that shot.
If you watch a video-compilation of Roger's backhand, you'll be amazed, one of the better shots I've ever seen came from that backhand.

that backhand to break murray in the 4th set in the final was also amazing :worship:

dencod16
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Gasquet's requires too much backswing, though.

He can just flick and still hit it hard, if you actually watch his matches. How beautiful his backhand is forehand is very aweful, it's like his playing a laso.

rutinos harcos
07-18-2012, 08:34 PM
How many?Frankly, I don't give a damn.

Orka_n
07-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Impossible to say. Let's not forget his one-hander has been very useful against certain opponents not named Nadal. Who knows if Roger would have had as good passing shots (we're talking Prime Fed here) and slice if he used a two-hander.

I dare say his H2H versus Nadal would have improved significantly though.

Commander Data
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM

10 slams. All French Opens.

:lol:

AntiTennis
07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
None, he is a disaster with the two-handed..:o, and he said that he tried to play with it when he was child because he was bad with the one-handed, but he was worst with the two-handed, so he kept playing with the one-handed

http://i.imgur.com/uUDaB.jpg?1

Freak3yman84
07-18-2012, 11:22 PM
None, he is a disaster with the two-handed..:o, and he said that he tried to play with it when he was child because he was bad with the one-handed, but he was worst with the two-handed, so he kept playing with the one-handed

At the beginning of the thread, the thread owner said pretend that he had a 2 handed backhand that was as good as his 1 handed backhand. Because everyone knows Fed can't pull off a 2 hander in reality ;)

Looner
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM

The only good post in this thread.

ossie
07-18-2012, 11:26 PM
even though i prefer the double handed backhand i'm not sure it would suit feds game. imo it would be detrimental to his efficient movement which is so important to his game. also the fact that his single hander is a world class shot also helps (dont let the haters fool you his backhand is great)