Hamburg R2: Haas def. Simon 4-6 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hamburg R2: Haas def. Simon 4-6 6-3 6-4

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Haas teaching Simon a lesson in attacking clay court tennis from 2-3 in the second set. Pretty surprising that Tommy was able to consistently overpower Simon on clay. The backhand was in fine form and those off backhand drop shots are nothing short of delicious. Customary choke as well at 4-3 40-0 up.

Umpire did his best to gift Simon the match but failed.

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Simon has been taught a tennis lesson(ON CLAY EVEN!), everyone thx for being patient.
I'm ovar ze moon when Tommy beats players like dis one!
:worship::worship:

Deathless Mortal
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Tennis won :cool:

STUHL
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Great Play Tommy. Gosh I'm so happy :)

Mr Brightside
07-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Tommy :worship:
Pushimon :

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg633/FORZAPENNETTA/tumblr_m3b5rr9Fa51r7ob5po1_500.gif

el tenista
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
So happy for Tommy! :) :worship: On to the title ;)

orangehat
YESSSS :rocker2:

Now if Almagro loses this week will be perfect :cool:

Lugburz
so happy riite naow!

The Prince
Simon has been taught a tennis lesson(ON CLAY EVEN!), everyone thx for being patient.
I'm ovar ze moon when Tommy beats players like dis one!
:worship::worship:

:superlol:

Simon already knows how to play tennis, thanks, and at the moment he is higher ranked and a better player than Haas!

Congratulations to Haas, he was the better player in all three sets and was unlucky not to get it done in two.

Absolute Anthropoid
Great result, Haas with some beautiful offensive tennis. Simug was a bit overwhelmed by Haas.

The umpire issue was in the first game of the decider, Simon 30-40 and Haas hits a winner DTL but it was called out by the umpire. Hawkeye showed it to be in.

The umpire was some idiot clown, he even got out of his seat to check :facepalm:

BroTree123
07-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Bye bye Simug :bigwave:

Haas :rocker2:

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Simon already knows how to play tennis, thanks, and at the moment he is higher ranked and a better player than Haas!

Congratulations to Haas, he was the better player in all three sets and was unlucky not to get it done in two.

He knows to hit the ball, I'll give him that.

Chirag
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
OMG :woohoo: Thank you so much Haas :worship:

kiriri***
07-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Tommy:D Great recover from poor 1st set:)

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:13 PM
He knows to hit the ball, I'll give him that.

You're such a good supporter in victory. I applaud you :hatoff:

el tenista
07-18-2012, 04:15 PM

He's just lost to Tommy on clay which is known as Haas' worst surface. Simon a better player? I doubt that. H2H says 3-1 btw ;)

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:15 PM
You're such a good supporter in victory. I applaud you :hatoff:

Trust me mate, I'm only like this when Tommy beats anti-tennis players.

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:18 PM
He's just lost to Tommy on clay which is known as Haas' worst surface. Simon a better player? I doubt that. H2H says 3-1 btw ;)

Match-ups and head-to-heads ebb and flow. You'd have to be pretty biased to say that Haas is a better player in 2012 than Simon. That said, Haas is capable of reaching a higher level, but doesn't often find it.

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Trust me mate, I'm only like this when Tommy beats anti-tennis players.

Anti-tennis? :lol:

Go and have a lie down and then come back when you've calmed down. You may actually be able to post a rational message, then.

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Match-ups and head-to-heads ebb and flow. You'd have to be pretty biased to say that Haas is a better player in 2012 than Simon. That said, Haas is capable of reaching a higher level, but doesn't often find it.

He doesn't often find it but somehow has a far superior career despite being injured for half his prime.

Blue Heart24
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
:banana:

Looner
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
What a delicious win for tennis. Well done, Tommy :woohoo:.

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Go and have a lie down and then come back when you've calmed down. You may actually be able to post a rational message, then.

you like Simon's tennis?

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
He doesn't often find it but somehow has a far superior career despite being injured for half his prime.

I'm not denying that. He's a former #2 iirc, but at his age (34?), he cannot produce a consistent level close to that of Simon. It's reflected in the rankings, and it's very understandable actually.

el tenista
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM

This is a rational message. Simon's defensive pushing is definitely anti-tennis. What's anti tennis in your opionion?

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
you like Simon's tennis?

I don't mind it.

People like you need to understand that tennis would be much more boring if everyone played in a similar manner. I think it's great that in the current game, players like Simon and Monaco can co-exist with players like Berdych and Cilic. Tennis is tennis, and calling in anti-tennis shows you're either a fair-weathered fan, or have a very superficial and limited understanding of it.

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
This is a rational message. Simon's defensive pushing is definitely anti-tennis. What's anti tennis in your opionion?

Somebody who cheats, and plays the game in the wrong spirit.

Simon's tennis might not be thrilling, but it's perfectly acceptable in the modern era. Again, it's a contrast from plenty of others. I don't see what's wrong with it?

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm not denying that. He's a former #2 iirc, but at his age (34?), he cannot produce a consistent level close to that of Simon. It's reflected in the rankings, and it's very understandable actually.

His level is still as good or better than Simon even at this age when healthy. Halle was better than anything Simon has done all year :shrug:

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Anyway, you guys continue to hate on Gillou. I'm not too bothered.

Your man deserved to win and I already said that. Was there any need to criticise Simon though?

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't mindit.

People like you need to understand that tennis would be much more boring if everyone played in a similar manner. I think it's great that in the current game, players like Simon and Monaco can co-exist with players like Berdych and Cilic. Tennis is tennis, and calling in anti-tennis shows you're either a fair-weathered fan, or have a very superficial and limited understanding of it.

I get your point, but to me its very frustrating when some of my fave lose only because of the opponents defensive pushing.
There ain't term such as anti-tennis, but TO ME that is anti-tennis.
If Simon isn't playing players I like, I'd never pay to watch him or even watch him on TV, its just booring to me...

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I haven't criticised him but it's pretty obvious I'm not fan of his style and aesthetic.

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
His level is still as good or better than Simon even at this age when healthy. Halle was better than anything Simon has done all year.

Yes and no. On any given day, Haas has the capability to produce tennis of a higher quality than Simon. That being said, I think you have to judge ability on a longer period of time, and more often than not, Simon will produce the goods when Haas doesn't.

Simon will be nothing when he's 34, and that says a lot about Haas' achievements in the last few months. He really deserves the highest of praise.

Zelyony
07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Haas :bowdown:
I though Haas was going to collapse after being broken when *4-3 *40-0 leaded. Really impressive ;)

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes and no. On any given day, Haas has the capability to produce tennis of a higher quality than Simon. That being said, I think you have to judge ability on a longer period of time, and more often than not, Simon will produce the goods when Haas doesn't.

Simon will be nothing when he's 34, and that says a lot about Haas' achievements in the last few months. He really deserves the highest of praise.

The comparison isn't fair because Haas hasn't been healthy for long enough periods. He constantly gets injured and has to clown around for his first few tournaments back to regain his form.

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I get your point, but to me its very frustrating when some of my fave lose only because of the opponents defensive pushing.
There ain't term such as anti-tennis, but TO ME that is anti-tennis.
If Simon isn't playing players I like, I'd never pay to watch him or even watch him on TV, its just booring to me...

That's where you should draw the line then.

He's got an un-interesting game. Stop there. Calling it anti-tennis implies that he's what's wrong with the sport, which is not really true, at least from my point of view.

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Please don't even try to compare Haas and Simon. In any aspect :)

btw Tommy said he is in his best tennis age(29), after reducing all the years he has been injured :p

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
The comparison isn't fair because Haas hasn't been healthy for long enough periods. He constantly gets injured and has to clown around for his first few tournaments back to regain his form.

Injuries isn't really a fair excuse. It's something that lots of players have to get around, but I take your point. The guy has REALLY struggled in the past couple of years. Simon has too to a lesser extent.

I just think Haas is very limited at his age, to maybe a few brilliant tournaments per year, then relative mediocrity for the rest of it. That might get him close to the top 20, but it won't get him to Simon's position which is a very secure spot in the top 20.

jcempire
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Haas 34 years old still play Great tennis
may go inside Top 20 after USO

tennis is going to dead

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Haas 33 years old still play Great tennis
inside Top 20

tennis is going to dead

:hearts:

:banana:

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Haas 33 years old still play Great tennis
inside Top 20

tennis is going to dead

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Please don't even try to compare Haas and Simon. In any aspect :)

btw Tommy said he is in his best tennis age(29), after reducing all the years he has been injured :p

You still haven't explained to me why Simon's game is anti-tennis? Yes, I understand you think it is boring, but why 'anti-tennis'?

leng jai
07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
It's not anti-tennis because the concept doesn't exist. Tennis isn't defined in any style so there can't be an "anti".

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
It's not anti-tennis because the concept doesn't exist. Tennis isn't defined in any style so there can't be an "anti".

Correct. Though you could also say somebody who plays tennis against the rules, plays 'anti-tennis'.

uxyzapenje
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
:rocker2: Happy for Haas, even more happy Mugmon lost. Bye bye 455 points :wavey:

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
You still haven't explained to me why Simon's game is anti-tennis? Yes, I understand you think it is boring, but why 'anti-tennis'?

I said to me, I don't care what rest of the world says. If I had listened what everybody have been saying, Tommy would have been a retired player long ago.

don't get to attached to a word like 'anti-tennis', its just a good word to describe a certain level of disgust. Like with that point Simon won 'with the net'. Tommy kept his patience to rally with Simon and after some time, net helped simon to win the point.

I know thats part of the tennis, but when that happens in such manner, I'd rather smash my laptop against the wall :)

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I said to me, I don't care what rest of the world says. If I had listened what everybody have been saying, Tommy would have been a retired player long ago.

don't get to attached to a word like 'anti-tennis', its just a good word to describe a certain level of disgust. Like with that point Simon won 'with the net'. Tommy kept his patience to rally with Simon and after some time, net helped simon to win the point.

I know thats part of the tennis, but when that happens in such manner, I'd rather smash my laptop against the wall :)

Right… :confused:

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
what was confusing to you? and why are you so persistent in defending Simon?
I will draw a line, 'cause I'm not type of person to offend other players calling them mugs and whatnots..
I'd rather criticize their STYLE OF PLAY, and if you are confused why I use 'anti-tennis' and Simon in the same sentence, don't be. Everytime I use it, you pretend I used word 'boring'

The Prince
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
I'd much rather you called him boring, frankly. That's not as offensive as 'anti-tennis'.

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Nah If I want to be bored watching tennis, I'd just watch WTA. :p

Boring is not as close as anti-tennis. Because TO ME, Karlovic is boring to watch. As for Simon, I can't think of any other word but anti-tennis..

Now why I THINK its anti-tennis, is beucase that same style of play killed WTA, which we all watched long ago.

Still only my opinion....

Paylu2007
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Tennis won! even when Goatsol lost :sad:

Congratz Tommy! I really thought u were gonna lose :lol:

tripwires
07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Totally called it.

Tommy. :hearts: :banana:

abraxas21
07-18-2012, 05:50 PM

delusional

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 05:59 PM
delusional

that was obviously a joke by him. said it laughing

Sombrerero loco
07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
gillou :facepalm:

henke007
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Simug's fluke points all gone :drool: Ty Tommy for saving tennis here :hearts:

viruzzz
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Great result for tennis.
And if everyone say again that Haas is finished, I'll kick your ass with a metal boot.

duong
07-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Simug's fluke points all gone :drool: Ty Tommy for saving tennis here :hearts:

I didn't watch the match but in a way, I'm happy that Haas won and Simon lost (the comments make me think of the orgasms I had watching Youzhny defeat Simon :lol: - just my taste, "the Bulldog", I don't call Simon "anti-tennis" and he's talented but only I don't like his game :shrug:),

but in another way these points lost by Simon are not good for Federer because it was great when Simon was in the top-12, which meant that Fed couldn't meet him before quarterfinals :lol:

Orange Wombat
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Even at his age, Haas is still playing on such a high level :eek: I wonder if Federer will play this awesome in a few years (providing he doesn't retire).

timafi
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
:hatoff: for beautiful tennis and :wavey: to sexist boring punk Simon

Matt01
07-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Great result for tennis.
And if everyone say again that Haas is finished, I'll kick your ass with a metal boot.

Yeah, that's almost as stupid as calling Simon's tennis anti-tennis.

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
to me it is anti-tennis I enjoy... guess I'm stupid to have my own opinion then

viruzzz
07-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah, that's almost as stupid as calling Simon's tennis anti-tennis.

I didn't say that. But I think Haas game is always good for tennis.
Haas is one of the talented players with beautiful shots. I'm with him over Simpon every time they play.

Matt01
07-18-2012, 11:01 PM
guess I'm stupid to have my own opinion then

You have Haas in your avi and Wawrinka in your sig so I will be nice to you.
But to any other poster my answer to your post would have been "yes".

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 11:06 PM
You have Haas in your avi and Wawrinka in your sig so I will be nice to you.
But to any other poster my answer to your post would have been "yes".

you have Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrero, DelPo in sig and I'm still nice to you...

Matt01
07-18-2012, 11:12 PM
you have Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrero, DelPo in sig and I'm still nice to you...

Do these playes play "anti-tennis" as well? :rolls:

AntiTennis
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Tennis won :cool:
this

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Do these playes play "anti-tennis" as well? :rolls:

DEFINITELY not tennis I like

The Prince
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
:lol: Shall we do it all over again?

born_on_clay
07-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Tommy :yeah:

Matt01
07-18-2012, 11:44 PM
DEFINITELY not tennis I like

Then call it like that (tennis that you don't like) but continuing to call it "anti-tennis" makes you indeed look stupid...

Lugburz
07-18-2012, 11:46 PM
oh jeez

The Prince
07-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Then call it like that (tennis that you don't like) but continuing to call it "anti-tennis" makes you indeed look stupid...

It makes him look stupid, indeed. He has no rationale behind his assertions that Simon plays 'anti-tennis'. I'm not surprised though, the majority of MTF hates Gillou.

Lugburz
07-19-2012, 12:20 AM
I don't hate him, I hate HIS GAME.

The Prince
07-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Still got that chip on your shoulder?

Lugburz
07-19-2012, 12:23 AM
you just won't listen.

The Prince
07-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Correct, I won't listen, because what you say is untrue, it's stretching the boundaries of a subjective matter into falsifications. It shouldn't be like this. There are no guidelines as to the manner in which you play tennis, therefore he does not play 'anti-tennis'.

You just don't understand what you're saying.

Mark Lenders
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
It makes him look stupid, indeed. He has no rationale behind his assertions that Simon plays 'anti-tennis'. I'm not surprised though, the majority of MTF hates Gillou.

It's because he's a boring, weaponless pusher...

Lugburz
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm tired, pls enjoy his pushing and keep repeating yourself..

Looner
07-19-2012, 12:31 AM
It's because he's a boring, weaponless pusher...

In other words, he plays the opposite of what this nice sport should be ie anti-tennis :).

mike s.
07-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Gilles :rolleyes:. He played so poorly and passively today.

Bulldog, thanks for defending Gilles in here, we need more people doing that in GM. Someone who is as good a sport as he is, fights as much as he does, and puts in the effort to be as fit and tireless as he is should not be denigrated as being a terrible tennis player. We need more people on tour who are as professional as he is. Also,he can play a variety of different styles depending on the type of opponent. Against the top players he certainly does not push all the time, it just wins him a lot of matches against the lower ranked players so why wouldn't he do it. I understand not liking the style of play, but I don't understand the disrespect.

Looner
07-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I don't understand how someone can support Federer, Soderling and Dimitrov and at the same time consider Pushmon interesting. It's just bizarre. But his boring style is not his only flaw - he's a huge RN fanboy.

The Prince
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Call him boring if you like, but calling it 'anti-tennis' is wide of the mark, shameful and very, very disrespectful.

mark73
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM

Don't be so sure. If Haas wins three more matches to take the title he will be ranked in the top 20 and within striking distance. Maybe not likely but certainly possible.

The Prince
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Gilles :rolleyes:. He played so poorly and passively today.

Bulldog, thanks for defending Gilles in here, we need more people doing that in GM. Someone who is as good a sport as he is, fights as much as he does, and puts in the effort to be as fit and tireless as he is should not be denigrated as being a terrible tennis player. We need more people on tour who are as professional as he is. Also,he can play a variety of different styles depending on the type of opponent. Against the top players he certainly does not push all the time, it just wins him a lot of matches against the lower ranked players so why wouldn't he do it. I understand not liking the style of play, but I don't understand the disrespect.

Exactly :yeah:

Tennis can be played in a variety of ways, defensive, offensive, whatever? Nobody should be judged based on their game style.

The Prince
07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
Don't be so sure. If Haas wins three more matches to take the title he will be ranked in the top 20 and within striking distance. Maybe not likely but certainly possible.

I'm pretty sure he won't win the title this week, but on hard-courts, he can be very dangerous. Perhaps he can win the Washington tournament?

mark73
07-19-2012, 12:52 AM

Oops I ment top 20 in the race.

Matt01
07-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I don't understand how someone can support Federer, Soderling and Dimitrov and at the same time consider Pushmon interesting. It's just bizarre. But his boring style is not his only flaw - he's a huge RN fanboy.

Still bitter that Gilles beat your fave?

:nerner:

mike s.
07-19-2012, 01:09 AM

I like a variety of styles of play. In Gilles case, I like the way he lulls the opponent to sleep and then can just blast a winner out of nowhere. It's fun for me to watch because you don't know when he's going to go for his shots so it's kind of unpredictable in a way. It's also because I play very similarly to Gilles with the flat strokes, defensive style etc. so I respect him for being as successful as he is. I can't deny he likes Rafa a lot, but he's cool with Federer, they practice all the time. Either way, it's not a big deal if people don't like watching him play, I just want more people to respect players like him who don't cheat, work hard, and play
their matches in a professional way.

misty1
07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
anyone thats watched gilles play knows that when he wants to he can really play quite aggressively and he can pull off some great shots

lalaland
07-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Well, I feel bad for not bothering to defend Gilles here. Then again, what's the point of arguing with haters. It's okay that ppl don't like his style. I don't like a lot of other players' style too, but I won't resort to insult them just because they aren't my cup of tea. I can't quite understand why ppl has so much hate in them to spare it on players that simply didn't manage to entertain them, insulting them only show your class. These are professionals, top players, whatever style they play are 1000 times better than what an avg MTFer can do. Imagine yourself in your job you've been doing for the past 15 years and some random amateurs came tell you that you don't know shit about what you are doing, is it okay for those amateurs to insult you? if so, then happy hating.

Lugburz
07-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Well, I feel bad for not bothering to defend Gilles here. Then again, what's the point of arguing with haters. It's okay that ppl don't like his style. I don't like a lot of other players' style too, but I won't resort to insult them just because they aren't my cup of tea. I can't quite understand why ppl has so much hate in them to spare it on players that simply didn't manage to entertain them, insulting them only show your class. These are professionals, top players, whatever style they play are 1000 times better than what an avg MTFer can do. Imagine yourself in your job you've been doing for the past 15 years and some random amateurs came tell you that you don't know shit about what you are doing, is it okay for those amateurs to insult you? if so, then happy hating.

You actually like him and I accept that. But ppl defending him because they got nothing to do is pointless.
Look, I don't hate players, not single one of them, but to hate style of play is not a big deal :shrug:

To clear things up, because everyone is finding the word 'anti-tennis' offending. Maybe that was my bad way to express how terribly boring and annoying is to watch Gilles' game.
Pls if there is a word describing whats happening in tennis for the past years, share it.( a lot of players going defensive, single handed bh dying out, plenty pushers etc etc)

So if you have only a few bunch of players in top30 that play offensive, something is changing in this game, like what happened in WTA, hence I stopped following it long ago. To me I see it as 'anti-tennis' not because I'm trying to insult anybody, I'm just trying to express that I'm loosing interest in tennis as it is going the way I really don't like.

This is first time I used the word, and its gonna be my last time since I see ppl see it as VERY insulting thing, which wasn't my attention at all!

The Prince
07-19-2012, 02:03 AM
You actually like him and I accept that. But ppl defending him because they got nothing to do is pointless.
Look, I don't hate players, not single one of them, but to hate style of play is not a big deal :shrug:

To clear things up, because everyone is finding the word 'anti-tennis' offending. Maybe that was my bad way to express how terribly boring and annoying is to watch Gilles' game.
Pls if there is a word describing whats happening in tennis for the past years, share it.( a lot of players going defensive, single handed bh dying out, plenty pushers etc etc)

So if you have only a few bunch of players in top30 that play offensive, something is changing in this game, like what happened in WTA, hence I stopped following it long ago. To me I see it as 'anti-tennis' not because I'm trying to insult anybody, I'm just trying to express that I'm loosing interest in tennis as it is going the way I really don't like.

This is first time I used the word, and its gonna be my last time since I see ppl see it as VERY insulting thing, which wasn't my attention at all!

It is the defamation of tennis. Surface homogenisation, the rise of Djokovic and Nadal as modern icons and racquet technology. There are plenty things wrong with the modern game, but you can't blame the players for trying to adapt to it. Defensive tennis is now the norm, and unless surfaces are sped up (not all, but some), every player will play this style which Simon uses, which I'll admit would be incredibly dull.

Lugburz
07-19-2012, 02:14 AM
It is the defamation of tennis. Surface homogenisation, the rise of Djokovic and Nadal as modern icons and racquet technology. There are plenty things wrong with the modern game, but you can't blame the players for trying to adapt to it. Defensive tennis is now the norm, and unless surfaces are sped up (not all, but some), every player will play this style which Simon uses, which I'll admit would be incredibly dull.

I'm not blaming players. Nor surfaces. Surface speed has very little to do with lacking offensive tennis players. If you look at it, courts have been adapting to players first.
Look at this match for example, Haas perfect example of an all around aggressive player whose least favorite surface is clay, vs ultra defensive player like Simon on very slow clay. If he had lost this match I wouldn't blame the surface. Every player can adapt their aggressive style on each surface.

leng jai
07-19-2012, 03:28 AM
Okay back to the match. Simon was Simon in this match. Counter punching his heart out with the occasional big forehand. Haas started poorly but gradually found his consistency and worked his way into the match. Early on he was visibly frustrated at how many balls Simon was returning and his own inability to finish points. He clearly shifted gears at 2-3 in the second set when he realised that long rallies were not the answer. His aggression increased and he really started crushing the backhand return. Simon spent the rest of the match retrieving and letting Haas do whatever he wanted at the back. Haas was hitting dropshot winners with relative ease which was an indicator of how far behind the baseline Simon was. This was a nice match of contrasting styles and it's nice to see attacking tennis prevail on clay even if you're not a fan of Haas.

Clay Death
07-19-2012, 03:30 AM
i am happy for haas. hope he keeps it going.

he has game. that much should be clear.

Ashlar77
07-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Thank you Tommy. :bowdown:

lalaland
07-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Look at this match for example, Haas perfect example of an all around aggressive player whose least favorite surface is clay, vs ultra defensive player like Simon on very slow clay. If he had lost this match I wouldn't blame the surface. Every player can adapt their aggressive style on each surface.

Have you watch Simon’s match against Berlocq 2 days ago? did you watch him play Tipsy in Monte Carlo? Did you watch him play Nadal in Monte Carlo? Did you watch his match against Baker in RG? If you had only watched those matches that I mentioned, you wouldn’t have called him ultra defensive. Or at least you would know that ultra defensive is not his only style. And if you insist his only style is ultra defensive and he managed to beat quality players like Federer and every members in Top 10, then does that prove that such style is also a winnable style? I mean, you can’t have both, either ultra defensive is not his only style, or if his only style is ultra defensive, then it’s as much a winning style as a really offensive one. So which is it? Okay, now you tell me you don't care about winning, you just want them to play offensive regardless of result. Fair enough, but players don't get prize money for playing beautiful, they get prize money for winning, and it's their way of earning their living. And if Haas has lost this match, you said you won't blame the surface, what then, do you blame his style?

And think about it, if all you need is to be aggressive and you will win, then why isn't everyone play like that? Copying the winning formula, right? Look at Federer, he plays beautiful tennis and he wins everything, why isn’t everyone plays the exact same way as Federer? Well, duh, they can’t. Other players have limitations, and it's not their fault that they have flaws, just like it's not your fault that you didn't make it to a pro-tennis player. If you have the ability to do the same as Federer, will you forgo that opportunity of making millions every year? No you won't, but sadly you don't have that ability, so is everyone else. So Djokovic plays the way he plays and made his way to #1, so does Rafa, is that wrong? Everyone is different, and they find a way to optimize their ability/skill sets. You don't need to like it, you just have to respect it. And if calling them mugs/clowns/pushers/ballbashers/anti-tennis and any other derogatory term or in derogatory way is not disrespectful than I don't know what is.

And the all around aggressive player Haas, why didn’t he win every single time when he plays his all around offensive tennis even on slow surface? He beat Tsonga on clay too, and isn’t Tsonga super offensive? You make it like this is the only winning formula as simple as 1+1=2. A winning formula so simple everyone should do it, right? And why aren’t they all doing it then, don’t they want to win?

I get it, it's the internet, ppl come here to past time, to have fun, you think you are entitled to criticize/insult players bcos you are fans, because there is no consequences when you insult players, and there isn't, it only reflects your character as a person.

Dini
07-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Not only does Haas come back to win (epic) leng jai also opens the thread (doubly epic). Haas win + leng jai OP has got to be my favourite tennis/mtf combo. :hearts:

Jverweij
07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I have to agree with the defenders of Simon here. I was actually at MC and saw the match vs. Nadal live. I was surprised at his offensive play he displayed. Djokovic-Berdych had just been played, and Gilles was hitting the ball almost as hard as Tomas and he was really going for the lines. I have to disagree with people calling him ultradefensive and a pusher.

I think Simon can best be described as an adaptive player. When he feels like he has a disadvantage offensively, he'll play defensively, and vice versa. That being said, I'm no way near a fan of his game, and I'm glad Tommy beat him, because I do like his game alot :)

arm
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Going for the second title in two months :sport: