Gstaad R1: Dimitrov overturns Benneteau 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gstaad R1: Dimitrov overturns Benneteau 3-6, 6-4, 6-1

rinnegan
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Dimitrov significantly raised his game halfway through the match and Benneteau couldn't touch him. Let's see more of your brilliance, Grisha! :yeah:

Iván
07-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Bad Choke from Benny 6-3 2-1* 15-40

would of won easily

MuzzahLovah
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
It was very close for the first two sets- Julien was very aggressive in the first but making very few errors, he couldn't sustain that in the second as Dimi moved him around more. I missed the last set(i didn't expect it to end so quickly), so what happened? Did Julien fall apart or did Dimi find a new gear?

Iván
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
benny fell apart

Hypnotize
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Grigor played some amazing tennis in this match to win it and he got all the crowd support because of it. He was a bit flat in the 1st set but really turned it around to break early in the 2nd and he was by far the better player after that. He out served, out hit and out maneuvered Benneteau. When he opens his shoulders and goes for his shots, Grigor has serious firepower and it's great to see him finally develop some consistency to go with it.

benji47
07-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Amazing effort from Grigor to win that second set.

Benneteau didn't choke the second set away, his opponent was too good. In the third set however, he broke down.

Hypnotize
07-17-2012, 06:03 PM
benny fell apart
I disagree. Benneteau's level may have dropped but Grigor played great tennis.

asmazif
07-17-2012, 06:10 PM
oh ffs Benny. Another decent shot at a title gone :(

Allez
07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
You'd think coming to within 2 points of beating Fed would have been good enough practice for Benny, but no. Great to see Dimi winning against higher ranked players. Ferrer was too good last week...hopefully there's no seriously tough vulture waiting for him in later rounds.

philosophicalarf
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Benny was excellent for a set and a half, Dimitrov fought hard to hold him back, and Benneteau folded at the resistance. Pathetic 3rd set.

Very nice attitude from Dimitrov in the 2nd. He was getting pretty beaten up there, only just hanging on. Great fight.

Two good players going at each other impressively. Don't often see that in 250 early rounds, just a shame we only really had one set where both were really firing.

Hypnotize
07-17-2012, 06:56 PM
It will be an interesting match against Brown next who is in good form and likes to go for his shots. If Grigor plays like he did today, he should win it but Brown is certainly dangerous. Grigor needs to serve well, slice low and use a lot variety so Brown doesn't get any rhythm.

EddieNero
07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I hope Dimitrov is finally living up to the expectations and the enourmous hype created around his person couple of years ago.
It would be nice to see him making some consistent deep runs into minor tournaments and maybe, in the wider perspective, to live to see him being a factor at slams.

duong
07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I was well impressed by him against Ferrer last week, hope he keeps up :yeah:

Benneteau may be back on grass in one week and a half if Monfils is not fit yet (anyway he will play the doubles with Gasquet) ;)

Looner
07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Dimitrov is nowhere near the hype level. He wins against minnows but against the top guys he folds. Moreover, just as it looks he's in form and ready to make a big run, he retires. Almost twice in a row.

At Wimbledon he had a great chance to win against Baggy but failed. I mean how the heck do you retire from exhaustion on freaking grass. Until he makes that breakthrough everyone keeps talking about, he's nowhere near the top.

Hypnotize
07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Dimitrov is nowhere near the hype level. He wins against minnows but against the top guys he folds. Moreover, just as it looks he's in form and ready to make a big run, he retires. Almost twice in a row.

At Wimbledon he had a great chance to win against Baggy but failed. I mean how the heck do you retire from exhaustion on freaking grass. Until he makes that breakthrough everyone keeps talking about, he's nowhere near the top.
He didn't retire at Wimbledon with exhaustion, he had a virus which can strike down anyone. It was unfortunate, especially as he was playing so well before that match but there's not a lot he can do about it.

He's always done well against the top players even when he was a kid. He's beaten Berdych twice, destroyed Fish at the Hopman Cup, had close matches against Tsonga, Gasquet and Ferrer and taken sets off Simon and Nadal. He's a work in progress and it's probably even harder for Grigor than most of the young servebots and grinders as he has so much variety to his game. It has taken him time to figure out when to hit the right shots and play consistently.

He's been hyped for a long time but that is because he has such an exciting game and people want to see someone with his style do well. He still has got a long way to go but it looks like he is finally starting to live up to the hype.

latso
07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
What means "hyped"?

Is it like when ppl say about a youngster - wow, this kid has a lot of talent, we expect him to be a big thing in tennis!?

Is this hyped/overhyped?

Then it was correct. He was hyped and he proves ppl being right.

Step by step, just the way it should be.

ServeVolley
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Dimitrov seems to have really got his game together recently. Good stuff Grigor! :)

Allez
07-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Dimitrov seems to have really got his game together recently. Good stuff Grigor! :)

Please do not jinx him by declaring him the hot favourite for the USO...now I hope Roger plays for the next 10 years just to protect Trova from your deadly jinxes ;)

Looner
07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
He didn't retire at Wimbledon with exhaustion, he had a virus which can strike down anyone. It was unfortunate, especially as he was playing so well before that match but there's not a lot he can do about it.

He's always done well against the top players even when he was a kid. He's beaten Berdych twice, destroyed Fish at the Hopman Cup, had close matches against Tsonga, Gasquet and Ferrer and taken sets off Simon and Nadal. He's a work in progress and it's probably even harder for Grigor than most of the young servebots and grinders as he has so much variety to his game. It has taken him time to figure out when to hit the right shots and play consistently.

He's been hyped for a long time but that is because he has such an exciting game and people want to see someone with his style do well. He still has got a long way to go but it looks like he is finally starting to live up to the hype.

Don't misunderstand - I'm just frustrated with his lack of progress or rather his inability to capitalise on the hard work he puts in day in, day out in the big events. I still remember in 2009 how he retired from R1 of Wimbledon when he had the golden chance of a WC in the MD. There are a few other such instances and I really hope he sorts out his scheduling.

You can unfortunate a few times but after that it seems like poor planning.

Paylu2007
07-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Princetteau :sad:

ServeVolley
07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Please do not jinx him by declaring him the hot favourite for the USO...now I hope Roger plays for the next 10 years just to protect Trova from your deadly jinxes ;)

I've been correct in my predictions every time Roger has won a tournament this year. :shrug: Admittedly, I pick him as the favourite in every tournament, but still... :p

PS: Grisha to win USO 2012! :rocker2:

Hypnotize
07-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Don't misunderstand - I'm just frustrated with his lack of progress or rather his inability to capitalise on the hard work he puts in day in, day out in the big events. I still remember in 2009 how he retired from R1 of Wimbledon when he had the golden chance of a WC in the MD. There are a few other such instances and I really hope he sorts out his scheduling.

You can unfortunate a few times but after that it seems like poor planning.
How can you hold a retirement when he was 18 years old against him? :confused:

Injuries are a fact of life for tennis players, even at the best of times. That year he grew a couple of inches so he was even more at risk of getting them. Getting a WC to Wimbledon would have been a huge deal to him especially as most boys champions aren't given one so he wouldn't have retired unless he absolutely had to.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what he did in the past, it's how he is playing now that counts. He's clearly worked on his fitness, he's more patient in constructing points and his mental toughness has improved significantly in the last few months. It's just one step up the ladder but he's moving in the right direction.

Looner
07-17-2012, 09:00 PM
How can you hold a retirement when he was 18 years old against him? :confused:

Injuries are a fact of life for tennis players, even at the best of times. That year he grew a couple of inches so he was even more at risk of getting them. Getting a WC to Wimbledon would have been a huge deal to him especially as most boys champions aren't given one so he wouldn't have retired unless he absolutely had to.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what he did in the past, it's how he is playing now that counts. He's clearly worked on his fitness, he's more patient in constructing points and his mental toughness has improved significantly in the last few months. It's just one step up the ladder but he's moving in the right direction.

It's not against him - it's the management decisions I often associate with his team - no matter now or previously.

SapELee
07-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Good win :)

henke007
07-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Great result, Grigor marches on.

ossie
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
winning tournaments like this is probably asking too much from dimugtrov but he needs to do it one of these days if he wants to live up to the hype.