Monfils: "F**k, man, it's my life" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Monfils: "F**k, man, it's my life"

bounccer
07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Monfils gave an interesting interview in the newspaper "l'equipe", it seems that he wants to put his fingers out of his ass, finally. Despite my pooor english's level, i will try to write a translation of some parts of the interview.

About his knees:

"My knees hurts me for a long time now, i remember that i felt an atrocious pain when i play against Ferrero in the USO last year, i wasn't even sure to play this match.
This year, in Madrid, i took a beatdown from Berdych and the pain was back.
Berdych was excellent but i was really hurt.
In Rome,i was barely able to run, i won against Bogomolov but after i lost against Ferrero, after the match, the pain was really huge.
In fact, i wasn't able to run more than twenty minutes.
In Nice, against Baker, i understood i wouldn't be able to play Roland Garros"

About Roland Garros

"I said noting for two months because it was too hard to handle. When i withdrawn for Roland Garros, it was a disaster. It was the first time ever i withdrawn for the French. It's weird to whitdrawn in any tournament, but in Roland Garros, it's worse, it's a disaster. All my family was ready bar me, everyone! It's the tournament of my life and i couldn't be there, my leg would be broken if i had decided to play. It broke my heart, i wasn't able to sleep anymore, it was depressing but in fact, it showed me how much i loved to play tennis, Fuck, i love this sport!"

About his thoughts

" I saw Roland Garros but i was very far away, i started to cut my hairs and i left very very far away. I went in many places, one time, i went on an island which i didn't even know, it was important for me to ask myself the good questions. It's in these moments that you've been able to
think. (i don't know the traduction, but it's like a meditation)

I remembered the words of all my pasts coachs, Champion, Rasheed, Delaitre, Benhabiles, Gauthier, i remembered the time when i was young, i remembered that in the past, i was ready to win. I wasn't here to play well but to win, since a few years, i lost my hunger, i have to find my fighting spirit, i was "shy". My hunger was weaker, i watched some of my matchs and i had less energy.

This withdrawal in Roland Garros give me a good lesson, it's the last time that this shit happens. I have to start from zero, to discipline myself, to work harder, to make some efforts. Nobody put a gun on my head to oblige me to work, i have to make this efforts alone.

I saw a food-expert ("nutritionniste in french), he made some tests and he made a very precide "regime", with a very precise number of calories. I had to drink less sodas, to eat less "red-meat" and more "withe-meat", i have to sleep more, will it work? I don't know but at least, if i fail, it won't be my fault. I already lost some weight and gain in athleticism, i can run and jump harder."

Chris Kuerten
07-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Hopefully he has really seen the light, it would be amazing to watch a Monfils who commits himself completely to the sport.

n8
07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
It's weird to whitdrawn in any tournament

Surely it can't still feel weird.

I really hope he can become an even better player.

Looner
07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Until he does something that validates these statements, I won't believe him. Even then I still won't :lol:.

Orka_n
07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Hopefully he has really seen the light, it would be amazing to watch a Monfils who commits himself completely to the sport.Won't happen. He said nothing about cutting down on the showmanship (aka clownery) on court.

Still, I wish him his health back.

Fed fordawin
07-17-2012, 01:45 PM
"I can run and jump harder"

I take that as a sign that his clownish days are far from over.

timafi
07-17-2012, 01:47 PM
just another predictable speech Gael :rolleyes:

Hypnotize
07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
The only thing I took from that article is that he's had a lot of coaches. :haha:

Gift Collector
07-17-2012, 02:02 PM
The only thing I took from that article is that he's had a lot of coaches. :haha:

Would be pretty hard to coach a clown :D Hopefully hes not just all words and does improve.

Ouragan
07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
From the title I thought he was coming out.

Anyway, let him stop sliding and maybe he'll have working knees.

MTwEeZi
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6158/monfils.jpg

Knees are not the problem.

Juz78
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for translating that for us, interesting read - fingers crossed he follows through, would be good to get a bit more competition in the top 10/early teens. Soderling is still being missed.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
should have won 10+ slams
so much talent and ability

Snowwy
07-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Oooh, we have a guy who's never picked up a tennis racket talking about tennis and injuries. I bet this 'expert' has also never been a doctor.

Intheshadows
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
From the title I thought he was coming out.

Important comma. What it actually means as written is a mystery in itself though.

Juz78
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Although by the title of the post for a second I actually thought Monfils was coming out of the closet

philosophicalarf
07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
The shame is that last Cincy he was looking like finally becoming a top player. Then the knee trouble returns.

Sham Kay
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Again with the title. At what point does he use the word men? Whatever gets the printed news off the shelves aye.

Monfils and his injuries aren't a surprise, but he's definitely got some success in his future once his injuries subside for a decent length of time. If he's not willing to change his gamestyle, then he'll have to put up with the occasional ligament issues or whatever he has, but big creds to the guy, he wants to run and jump even more.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
thread title in pictures

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nwX8WbopOhY/T7He2Bzwc_I/AAAAAAAAAMc/S7WP7kuFFGw/s1600/Phelan_FuckYou_72dpi_20cm.jpg

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/107366581411b9e178c0c1c7f308b09e/158331.jpg

Johnny Groove
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Tennis is a sacrifice. 9-10 hours of sleep per day, 2-3 hours on court, 1-2 hours in the gym every day, less or more depending on how the body feels, 1-2 rest days a week, eating right, at the right times, in the right amounts, no smoking or drinking, no going out, it is a lot of temptation to avoid.

Monfils is so talented, if he can ever get his body healthy for a full 12 months, and also stop being such a sideshow on the court, he is definitely top 10 quality.

We've seen matches where he can be aggressive, focused, and disciplined, and he has beaten all of the top 3 :shrug:

And yes, fix the thread title. Change it to: "Fuck, tennis, it's my life."

duong
07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
if I understood the excerpts of the interview I read on the web ( http://www.welovetennis.fr/atp/52807-monfils-une-bonne-gifle ), he also said he works with a former athlete (Marc Raquil) and is very fit ("I jump higher and longer"), stronger and slimmer, but only started his tennis practice this week.

He's not sure yet to take part in the Olympics as he's afraid of "breaking" again, and he could be replaced by Benneteau.

Frankly speaking, I don't really know what to expect after that interview : the interview itself reveals Monfils as he's always been revealed, very sensitive and thinking, dreaming a lot, but to do something in reality and on the long-term is something else.

He "wants to be the leader of his team, be the one who shows the direction". Is he able of that ?

He also says he was moved by Murray in the final and Murray deserves respect.

r3d_d3v1l_
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
The shame is that last Cincy he was looking like finally becoming a top player. Then the knee trouble returns.

He was playing great at the AO. Then had that back injury and finally knee injury before Davis Cup.

But i donīt think it has to do with his style of play. Of course there are some ocasions where he should just let the opponent win the point, but for example: he was talking that he terrible pain against Ferrero. Well, he played afterwards a double match?

Does that make any sense? Nop.

And thatīs what he needs to do. To be more clever about his physic. He ainīt imortal.

Corey Feldman
07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
i miss La Monf but these problems always gonna follow him playing like he does

bounccer
07-17-2012, 03:03 PM
The title is an approximative translation of the title writed in this newspaper (i didn't traduce everything, Duong actually made a good resume about the passages i skipped). Monfils was speaking, almost insulting himself, repeating what he thought when he realized that he was wasting his career.

Nathaliia
07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
it's good that he is aware of the lost chances and where the fault was

hopefully he can heal and try to mend these mistakes, if he's really willing... he's still not old and has a few years to accomplish

though, would love to see him in olympics in long jump and not tennis :p

LoveFifteen
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
OP, you need to change the title to "Fuck, man, tennis is my life".

The "Fuck, men, it's my life" is just :o

Mark Lenders
07-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Monfils is the greatest natural athlete the game of tennis has ever seen. Would be awesome if he put his amazing athletic gifts to good use.

Henry Chinaski
07-17-2012, 06:12 PM
course he is. he's tall, black and muscular.

Stronga23
07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Gael :sad::sad:. Keep your head up La Monf I know you are more serious about your tennis now and people that dont believe me go look at his Doha match against Rafa or his Cincy match against Novak last year. Just get healthy tennis needs you Monf it isnt the same without you :bigcry:

Allez
07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Will Roger reach 20 slams and Rafa 10 RG's with a fully committed Monfils back on the tour? I seriously doubt it.

Stronga23
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Will Roger reach 20 slams and Rafa 10 RG's with a fully committed Monfils back on the tour? I seriously doubt it.

Roger is a terrible matchup for Gael. Rafa is the PERFECT matchup for Gael.

MuzzahLovah
07-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Um, wait- he wasn't athletic enough before? That was the issue?

Orka_n
07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Oooh, we have a guy who's never picked up a tennis racket talking about tennis and injuries. I bet this 'expert' has also never been a doctor.The point of his post was not concerning Monfils' knees, genius. He was implying that even if he gets healthy, Monf needs to start taking tennis seriously if he wants to win anything big.

Backhand_Maestro
07-17-2012, 08:14 PM

vid ?

LoveFifteen
07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Roger is a terrible matchup for Gael. Rafa is the PERFECT matchup for Gael.

If Rafa is the perfect matchup for Gael, then he's not doing too well. The head-to-head is 8-2 in Nadal's favor.

simplet
07-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I hope he's smart and skips the olympics, he can get some matches and maybe even some easy points in the US on hard courts if he really wants to play again soon.

He won't be though, but who can blame him? The Olympics are still the olympics.

ServeVolley
07-17-2012, 09:04 PM
"Fuck, men, it's my life"

I think this title could be worded slightly... better. :unsure:

Burrow
07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Never has a comma been so crucial in a thread title.

Allez
07-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Never has a comma been so crucial in a thread title.

Too true :haha:

Pirata.
07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Monfils is the greatest natural athlete the game of tennis has ever seen. Would be awesome if he put his amazing athletic gifts to good use.

course he is. he's tall, black and muscular.

:confused:

JediFed
07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Pirata, how would this topic change, if the title were, "fuck men, it's my life?" :D

THAT'S what they are referring to his 'natural gifts' being a 'tall black man'. ;)

MTwEeZi
07-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Oooh, we have a guy who's never picked up a tennis racket talking about tennis and injuries. I bet this 'expert' has also never been a doctor.

You would lose that bet. Tell your friends to shoot me a PM if they get struck with neurojaculitis.

-Dr. MTwEeZi, M.D.

Orange Wombat
07-17-2012, 11:02 PM
The titlee :rolls:

I do feel sad for Monfils though. I hope the new diet can help him stop getting injured so much.

Burrow
07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
The titlee :rolls:

I do feel sad for Monfils though. I hope the new diet can help him stop getting injured so much.

:facepalm:

Mountaindewslave
07-17-2012, 11:11 PM

strange thing for a mod to say, as though you know that poster at all as far as their playing is concerned? obviously the guy has a point with his image, Monfils does ridiculously dangerous things on court, jumping, basically cartwheeling which definitely has an affect on the body

Orange Wombat
07-17-2012, 11:25 PM
:facepalm:

:confused: Sorry if I said something stupid :confused:???

Edda
07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
All of his clownish antics are catching up to him. He'll wind up in the hospital in traction before too long.

HKz
07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Really frustrating to even think about Monfils. I mean he plays such a poor style for his talent, and not to mention it is fucking obvious why he has had numerous problems over the years. I don't see him ever changing really.

abraxas21
07-18-2012, 03:00 AM
to this day i fail to see what's so talented about monfils

LleytonMonfils
07-18-2012, 03:03 AM

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web05/2011/6/9/17/anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-used-on-forums-22779-1307655858-12.gif

abraxas21
07-18-2012, 03:26 AM
he's merely a pusher. and a pretty mindless one at it

paseo
07-18-2012, 03:54 AM

Cracks me up every time :lol:

mickymouse
07-18-2012, 03:54 AM
He's one of my favorite players to watch because you never know what to expect from him. He can be pushing for 30 strokes and then suddenly ends it with a brilliant point. But that's also the reason why he'll never win a big title. He just expends too much energy unnecessarily and by the time he gets to the tail end of a tournament, he's either physically spent or injured.

n8
07-18-2012, 04:00 AM
vid ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zZvcm-cvY#t=5m

Monfils' antics on full display in this video.

MTwEeZi
07-18-2012, 04:11 AM
I like Monfils. But his strokes seem to me like they are designed to get the least out of his game.

Honestly
07-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Clownfils is immensely talented but French and therefor immensely weak mentally/

Lopez
07-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Monfils == FiloV :eek:?

The thread title is like one of his in NT :scratch:

leng jai
07-18-2012, 07:42 AM

You've probably just missed the 2% of the time he plays properly. No biggie.

Burrow
07-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Me too.

Standing 10 feet behind the baseline on a regular basis, passing balls back and running around getting himself into very bad and awkward defensive positions thus creating the opportunity to hit 1 miraculous shot per match doesn't equate to talent in my book.

bounccer
07-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I miss his Ferrer's spanks

LoveFifteen
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Standing 10 feet behind the baseline on a regular basis, passing balls back and running around getting himself into very bad and awkward defensive positions thus creating the opportunity to hit 1 miraculous shot per match doesn't equate to talent in my book.

This.

DJ Soup
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
"I can run and jump harder"

I take that as a sign that his clownish days are far from over.

damn I was gonna post this

Mark Lenders
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
I miss his Ferrer's spanks

Same here. That was acually the first thing that crossed my mind when Ferrer mugged his way into the semis of the FO this year :o

Mercury
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Me too.

This again.

guichard
07-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Video with english subtitle

w8KoFWvPrVI

Pirata.
07-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Same here. That was acually the first thing that crossed my mind when Ferrer mugged his way into the semis of the FO this year :o

:baby:

Orka_n
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Monfils == FiloV :eek:?

The thread title is like one of his in NT :scratch:I was just gonna say that. ;)

Standing 10 feet behind the baseline on a regular basis, passing balls back and running around getting himself into very bad and awkward defensive positions thus creating the opportunity to hit 1 miraculous shot per match doesn't equate to talent in my book.Hear, hear. Monfils is a talented athlete for sure but even in this physical era, tennis is so much more than that. Many players in the top 50 are more talented than Monfils.

ossie
07-18-2012, 11:27 PM
did anyone else read that as 'fucking men is my life'

BroTree123
07-19-2012, 03:59 AM
You're a sick bloke ossie.

LoveFifteen
07-19-2012, 04:19 AM
Lord, please change the thread title!!!! :o

It's man, not men.

Juz78
07-19-2012, 07:12 AM
did anyone else read that as 'fucking men is my life'

lol yes, I posted earlier that I thought Monfils finally got the courage to come out of the closet...

federernadalfan
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
it's obvious the OP selected such a title to garner attention...congratz you succeeded

bounccer
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know how to change the title, when i edit, i'm not able to change it, and no i didn't do that to gain attention but because i have an awful english's level moron.

n8
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Changing 'men' to 'man' doesn't help too much.

How about: 'Monfils' new outlook'

bounccer
07-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok, someone has doing it for me

n8
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Ok, someone has doing it for me

Only moderators/admin can but I'll give you step by step instructions.

1 - Copy "Monfils' New Outlook" (highlight and press cntr+c).

2 - Go to forum list page: http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

3 - Double click near your thread's title. Click in a spot so that you don't enter the thread.

4 - Highlight your old title, press delete, then paste my title (cntr+v)

5 - Click away from title. You're done!

duong
07-19-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know how to change the title, when i edit, i'm not able to change it

if you only want to change the title, there's an easy way to do it : just go to the "go advanced" section when you "edit".

Juz78
07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Damn the new title is no fun...