Atlanta R1: Kunitsyn def. Baker 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Atlanta R1: Kunitsyn def. Baker 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-3

tennisfan856
07-17-2012, 05:26 AM
worst match since the comeback. Bad footwork, attitude, unforced errors galore. Igor really wasn't that good either but Brian was just gifting him the match.

It can only go uphill from here for hard courts, a loss to an out of form challengers player is deflating. Hopefully this will motivate him.

BroTree123
07-17-2012, 05:27 AM
The kind of form which questions whether or not Brian should retire asap.

Smoke944
07-17-2012, 05:28 AM
The kind of form which questions whether or not Brian should retire asap.

:stupid:

JamieMU30
07-17-2012, 05:29 AM
I don't know....Baker might have had a fluke of good fortune since before the French...The hard court season will tell the tale...Losing to Kunitsyn, who has sucked all year, is not promising at all...Another Melanie Oudin I fear Baker might be :haha:

Sad part is, at least she was young when her fluke run happened...Baker is an old washed up dishrag as of now...He is too irrelevant and cant afford to lose to players like this if he wants to be taken seriously...

Smoke944
07-17-2012, 05:31 AM
I don't know....Baker might have had a fluke of good fortune since before the French...The hard court season will tell the tale...Losing to Kunitsyn, who has sucked all year, is not promising at all...Another Melanie Oudin I fear Baker might be :haha:

:stupid: :stupid:

JamieMU30
07-17-2012, 05:42 AM
:stupid: :stupid:

The truthe hurts, dude....Now go cry in the corner like a little :stupid: bitch...Now that is an appropriate use of :stupid:...:bigwave:

tennisfan856
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
I will guess and say Brian took some time off to recover from clay/grass and he just didn't have enough time on the hard surface, because his timing killed him tonight. Igor has a puff serve and Brian was shanking returns all night. I'm hoping with more practice, he'll get sharper. He did say he was prone to fatigue because of the schedule, so I hope he is isn't hitting the wall in the last important stretch of the season.

orangehat
07-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Clearly not used to the hard courts yet :shrug:

Take some time off and practice :hug:

Jverweij
07-17-2012, 06:43 AM
ffs the guy plays one bad match and people think he's doomed. :shrug:
He can't keep amazing, sooner or later he will drop abit.

Other than that, what Orangehat said.

nellis_lv
07-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Or it was just 1am in the morning already...

CooCooCachoo
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Much-needed win for Kunitsyn, whose ranking is rapidly plummeting.

Baker will have time to adjust to the hard courts. No panic needed.

Fat Camel
07-17-2012, 08:31 AM
X-man now needs to make advantage of Soeda - Kunitsyn draw. If he doesn't make QF he's almost done for all surfaces except grass.

Blue Heart24
07-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Horrible loss for Brian,to Kunitsyn of all people :facepalm:
But he suffered this type of loss in his first grass match to Korolev and then went on to reach the 4th round in Wimbledon...Please no more losses like this :o

cutesteve22
07-17-2012, 01:14 PM
lost to Kunitsyn is ridiculous.

tuek
07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Didn't see the match, but yeah, as Blue Heart24 points out, it sounds very similar to the loss to Korolev at Queens, where Baker was also a WC and looking very shaky without any matches under his belt on that surface.

Now I'm worried that resurgent hardcourt powerhouse Kunitsyn will take out X-Man in the next round :scared:

jcempire
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Baker back to Baker

no more suprise

Corey Feldman
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
thought this Baker was good

nellis_lv
07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Now that he's had some good results and will likely have a few questionable results from here on out, he'll start to get his first few haters.

I can see the "Brian Fluker" nicknames, as we speak ...

Chase Visa
07-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Now come on, past form has suggested that his first game on a surface doesn't work out all that great for Baker. It's a poor loss but not much to panic over.

Whiznot
07-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Baker wasn't there mentally. He was extremely impatient and kept netting the ball repeatedly. I don't know what was wrong but he didn't look like the player I've been watching since Nice. Baker started the match up a break at 3-0 and lost the first set 6-4. Baker broke to start the third set and gave the break back in the following game. I was watching the match on a poor stream and quickly lost interest.

With all the adversity Brian has already endured I am sure he will be able to bounce back from a bad match.

moon language
07-18-2012, 02:44 AM
He'll be fine. He's pacing himself to peak at the US Open and take the title.

Mountaindewslave
07-18-2012, 05:48 AM

Sad part is, at least she was young when her fluke run happened...Baker is an old washed up dishrag as of now...He is too irrelevant and cant afford to lose to players like this if he wants to be taken seriously...

you are just wrong on so many levels. you do understand that sometimes it takes a little actions for players to adjust to surface changes? Kunitsyn is an active challenger player, of course he is pretty familiar at this moment with hard court, but Baker has played the majority of his short season on natural surfaces.

It was a bad loss but you are mistaken to call him an 'old dishrag'. washed up? you do realize he didn't play for many years because he was incapable of it? he certainly isn't an old dirty dishrag, if anything he is a relatively clean dishrag with question marks about the thread holding together / there being a hole in it.

he's not irrelevant obviously, no tennis players that wins matches on tour is. he's won enough in the past few months to be taken very seriously and it's silly to give up on a player because of one bad loss. I guess you will stop following Nadal and now consider him 'irrelevant' after his surprise Rosol loss?

dumb poster, get a reality check