Who will complete the "Hexagon" first [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will complete the "Hexagon" first

BAMJ6
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM
The Hexagon is the 6 biggest possible ATP wins in their career.

The ATP Super singles set. Andre is the only one to complete the 6

1990 - ATP Finals
1992 - Wimbledon
1994 - US
1995 - Australian
1996 - Olympic Gold
1999 - Roland Garros

In addition, he won all Masters but Hamburg and Monte Carlo

However i'll ignore that because these 6 are the best remembered in tennis

Which of the Big 3 will complete the set first?

The Prince
07-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Novak needs Roland Garros too, which is unlikely.

I think Rafa will do it, purely because the odds are in his favour. Olympics, only once every four years, Federer needs to win it this year otherwise he won't ever get the singles gold.

Rafa will have several more chances to win the ATP Finals and I think he'll do it at least once.

TBkeeper
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
WOW i always thought that Davis cup is amongst the 6 greatest accomplishments a tennis player can have and you haven't included it .....

The Prince
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
WOW i always thought that Davis cup is amongst the 6 greatest accomplishments a tennis player can have and you haven't included it .....

It's not in the control of an individual though. Davis Cup is a team effort.

BAMJ6
07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Novak needs Roland Garros too, which is unlikely.

I think Rafa will do it, purely because the odds are in his favour. Olympics, only once every four years, Federer needs to win it this year otherwise he won't ever get the singles gold.

Rafa will have several more chances to win the ATP Finals and I think he'll do it at least once.

I know he needs RG too. But from what i saw in the RG final. He will get it if they meet in the final again or if he's at the final and Rafa's not (Like Roger in 2009). Olympics with the 2 out of 3 set format will be harder and has more opponents to pick him off than the other 2 in that format

Orange Wombat
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
It's a septagon if you include Davis Cup

tealeaves
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Nadal :shrug:?

Paylu2007
07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Davis cup is a joke :lol:

ServeVolley
07-16-2012, 10:56 PM

Davis Cup should never be included in these discussions. I mean it's not a player's fault if they come from a country which doesn't produce many tennis players (and therefore can't seriously compete in a team tournament), and conversely, just because a player happens to be on the winning Davis Cup team does not automatically make them a greater player (Troicki in 2010, for instance). :shrug:

Mountaindewslave
07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I know he needs RG too. But from what i saw in the RG final. He will get it if they meet in the final again or if he's at the final and Rafa's not (Like Roger in 2009). Olympics with the 2 out of 3 set format will be harder and has more opponents to pick him off than the other 2 in that format

lol if you make a thread about players needing something to complete their 'hexagon' of great accomplishments, you don't compare people who would finish it this season with people who need multiple parts.

the poster was right, it is dumb you didn't point out DJokovic needs Roland Garros and based on your own opinion and crystal ball? you assume he will win it.

on topic, Nadal and Federer I think both have great chances, maybe Nadal a bit better. obviously Federer is coming in with the best form for the Olympics and he will have such will and desire to win it but then again its the best of 3 so maybe he will not take the cake.

Nadal's chances of winning the WTF in the next few seasons are very high as that will be one of his focus's above all else and because Federer will be out of the picture soon

atennisfan
07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Davis Cup should never be included in these discussions. I mean it's not a player's fault if they come from a country which doesn't produce many tennis players (and therefore can't seriously compete in a team tournament), and conversely, just because a player happens to be on the winning Davis Cup team does not automatically make them a greater player (Troicki in 2010, for instance). :shrug:

I seriously ROFTL at Troicki winning Davis Cup

Lleyton_
07-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Olympic gold? :superlol: It's not even bigger than a Masters 1000.

Edda
07-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I say Rafa.

The Prince
07-17-2012, 12:53 AM

Seriously?

When one's career is over, what are they going to remember more? A Masters 1000 title or winning the Olympic Gold?

I actually think being an Olympian is a great achievement in itself.

Yolita
07-17-2012, 03:07 AM
I seriously ROFTL at Troicki winning Davis Cup

Did you see him beat Llodra in the final, the day after he played a really long, epic five setter against Llodra/Clement? It was the fifth match, Novak had won his match to get the tie to 2-2. Everything depended on Troicki and he delivered. It was beautiful to see.

That Davis Cup was truly a team's effort. It wasn't all Novak. Every player saved the team at least once. Tipsarevic did it in the SF by beating Stepanek and Berdych, who was ranked 7 (Tipsy was 37).

They all deserve the Davis Cup. :worship:

atennisfan
07-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Did you see him beat Llodra in the final, the day after he played a really long, epic five setter against Llodra/Clement? It was the fifth match, Novak had won his match to get the tie to 2-2. Everything depended on Troicki and he delivered. It was beautiful to see.

That Davis Cup was truly a team's effort. It wasn't all Novak. Every player saved the team at least once. Tipsarevic did it in the SF by beating Stepanek and Berdych, who was ranked 7 (Tipsy was 37).

They all deserve the Davis Cup. :worship:

I agree that Davis Cup is a truly team's effort.
One player alone cannot win it.

leng jai
07-17-2012, 03:37 AM

The fail is strong with this post.

Mark Lenders
07-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Federer has already completed it, he has an Olympic gold medal.

The Prince
07-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Federer has already completed it, he has an Olympic gold medal.

Where are his grand slam titles then, and the ATP Finals title?

Doubles is a different game to singles.

Mark Lenders
07-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Where are his grand slam titles then, and the ATP Finals title?

Doubles is a different game to singles.

Not in the Olympics they aren't. Winning a gold medal for your country (and yourself) in singles or doubles is exactly the same.

I understand what you mean, but is the singles Olympic tournament in tennis that important as a tennis achievement? It is more important than it once was for sure, but not convinced it's as important as the other five.

The Prince
07-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Not in the Olympics they aren't. Winning a gold medal for your country (and yourself) in singles or doubles is exactly the same.

I understand what you mean, but is the singles Olympic tournament in tennis that important as a tennis achievement? It is more important than it once was for sure, but not convinced it's as important as the other five.

Well, you could say the same thing about any tournament then? Winning a grand slam is winning a grand slam, singles or doubles…

It's not the case though. Just because it's the Olympics, doesn't mean it's any different to other events, in this context.

Mark Lenders
07-17-2012, 04:06 AM
Well, you could say the same thing about any tournament then? Winning a grand slam is winning a grand slam, singles or doubles…

It's not the case though. Just because it's the Olympics, doesn't mean it's any different to other events, in this context.

No. Grand Slams are ITF events, with different categories (singles, doubles, mixed...) with different trophies and prize money for each...

The Olympics transcend tennis, the gold medal you get from winning singles isn't any different or less meaningful than the gold medal you get from winning doubles.

I do understand your point about this context, but are the Olympics important enough strictly as a tennis event to be part of the Hexagon? Not sure they are, after all they offer less ranking points than a Masters 1000.

The Prince
07-17-2012, 04:12 AM
No. Grand Slams are ITF events, with different categories (singles, doubles, mixed...) with different trophies and prize money for each...

The Olympics transcend tennis, the gold medal you get from winning singles isn't any different or less meaningful than the gold medal you get from winning doubles.

I do understand your point about this context, but are the Olympics important enough strictly as a tennis event to be part of the Hexagon? Not sure they are, after all they offer less ranking points than a Masters 1000.

Of course he can always say, 'I have a gold medal'.

But the gold was in doubles, and I believe, for similar reasons as to why Davis Cup is not included, that a doubles gold medal shouldn't go towards achieving such a feat as this. It's a measure of ability in the singles game, not the doubles game.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I understand your point, and absolutely recognise the symbolism of any Olympic gold. Anyway, let's not get too worked up about something this trivial.

Mark Lenders
07-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Of course he can always say, 'I have a gold medal'.

But the gold was in doubles, and I believe, for similar reasons as to why Davis Cup is not included, that a doubles gold medal shouldn't go towards achieving such a feat as this. It's a measure of ability in the singles game, not the doubles game.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I understand your point, and absolutely recognise the symbolism of any Olympic gold. Anyway, let's not get too worked up about something this trivial.

Yes, I know you're talking about the singles gold as a tennis achievement, but that's what I'm questioning. Is the event that important in strictly tennis terms? I mean, it's worth less ranking points than a Masters 1000.

Would anyone argue Massu is a greater tennis player than Murray because he has won one of the 'Hexagon' and Murray hasn't? I doubt it very much. I have to disagree that the singles Olympic gold is a great measure of ability in the singles game, at least not yet; I'm assuming the event will only gain in importance as the years go by.

finishingmove
07-17-2012, 06:08 AM
We're talking about tennis players' singles careers in a tennis context. In an Olympic games context, Federer has a gold medal but this achievement requires a singles one. It's just common sense.

And in regards to your Massu argument, Lenders, this is not about winning 'one of the Hexagon' -- there is no such thing. It's about the achievement of winning all those titles.

With that said, I think Djokovic is most likely to make it first, even though he's -2. Either way, we'll know much more after the Olympics.

ssj100
07-17-2012, 07:12 AM
It's all very well to mention that the Olympic Gold is an "important" title to have. However, you can always make up many "records" to achieve and claim that this player or that player hasn't achieved it. This is why when one is considering who is the GOAT, it's important to combine all records together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but great players like Laver and Borg never had a chance to win an Olympic Gold. Just like great players of the last 5 years haven't had much chance to clock up many wins on the "carpet" surface. I don't think that McEnroe winning so many times on carpet contributes any significant weighting to his greatness. The same goes for Olympic Gold, as it stands now - winning this title doesn't contribute any significant weighting to any tennis player's greatness. However, like some have alluded, it may have more weighting in 50-100 years' time, if tennis players and spectators elevate it to the most prestigious title in the sport.

Jverweij
07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
I really don't see Rafa winning the WTF. It's indoors and at the end of the year. Which means he has to play his least favourite surface when he's all worn out.

For now Fed has the best chances, because the olympics are held on grass. If he doesn't take it now though, it won't happen at all.

For Nole the window might be just as big. I do see him winning RG, but I wouldn't be surprised if he declined alot faster than Fed after 28.

Lleyton_
07-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Seriously?

When one's career is over, what are they going to remember more? A Masters 1000 title or winning the Olympic Gold?

I don't know, ask them. What I know is tennis in the Olympics is not bigger than a Masters 1000 as evidenced by the points awarded for both events - 750 vs 1000. Tennis players grow up dreaming of winning a slam/becoming no.1 not winning a gold medal.

I don't deny its sentimental value though. After all athletes play for their country :barf: acting all religious during the day, thanking God or Jesus or some other deity after winning whilst fucking the entire Olympic village at nights.

duarte_a
07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't know, ask them. What I know is tennis in the Olympics is not bigger than a Masters 1000 as evidenced by the points awarded for both events - 750 vs 1000. Tennis players grow up dreaming of winning a slam/becoming no.1 not winning a gold medal.I don't deny its sentimental value though. After all athletes play for their country :barf: acting all religious during the day, thanking God or Jesus or some other deity after winning whilst fucking the entire Olympic village at nights.

This.

Every tennis player dream is to win a slam, the most coveted and hard to win titles.

Olympics is nice but that's about it.

Chase Visa
07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I'll say Fed, but it's rather high-risk for him as if he doesn't do it this year, he won't at all.

Nadal isn't very good indoors, so that's not that likely. Djokovic needs two more events rather than one to achieve it, but perhaps better upside.

Roy Emerson
07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Roger Federer with the gold medal.

Johnbert
07-17-2012, 02:22 PM
the olympic gold medal is the biggest success you can archive in swimming, athletics or winter sports, but not tennis. you have 4 tournaments which are more important than a olympic gold medal. i mean, do you rather remember the olympic gold medalists or gs-winners in tennis?! :angel:

Apemant
07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I still think Nadal has the best chance; WTF is his worst surface, but saying 'he'll never win it', would be just as foolish as people who said that Federer would never become #1 again or win a slam. :shrug:

2 years ago Nadal, all worn out and tired from the SF match vs. Murray, even took a set in the final, off of Federer no less. How is it then so 'unlikely' that he could once win the whole thing? :confused: Winning more than 1 really does sound farfetched, but snatching just 1 for collection, doesn't sound to me farfetched at all.

BAMJ6
08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
olympic bump

Roger Federer's F loss pretty much means he won't get the hexagon. Thirtyfiverer won't get that far again. Rafael Nadal can still win the ATP finals. Djokovic will be 29 when the olympics come up again

Chase Visa
08-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Nadal now I guess. I don't think he'll do the WTF, but if he really wants it, he'll get it IMO.

Matt01
08-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Nadal
Djokovic
Federer

Likelyhood in that order.

hadouken!
08-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Yup Nadal he'll have 4 tries before the next Olympics. Also the poll is wrong Novak needs RG.

sylacauga
08-08-2012, 05:09 AM
I don't see a good chance of any of these happening to be honest, but I'd still have to go with Nadal winning WTF to be the most likely. He has made the finals here once, so with a good draw and a few things falling his way he could possibly dig out a win. Also, since WTF is a yearly event, he has more chances to accomplish this than Fed/Nole do at the Olympics. Having said that, I think Nadal realistically only has 2 more chances to win WTF. IMO, he is showing increasing signs of both physical decline & mental burnout which will probably only get worse with age. Couple this with indoors being by far his worst surface and I think the chances of him winning any major HC titles, let alone WTF, are slim to none after next year. I think he maaabye could win one more Wimby after next year if all the stars align, but not any major HC events.

Next most likely would be Nole winning Olympics, followed by Fed.

megadeth
08-08-2012, 05:46 AM
best chance is djoko in RG, but not olympics. Rafa has a good chance if he paces himself throughout the season (fall season is his worst)

evilmindbulgaria
08-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Rafa will have the first opportunity in this year's WTF.

Litotes
08-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I think pretty much the ship has sailed for all three.

Looner
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Rafa will have the first opportunity in this year's WTF.

More like his 3rd since 2010.

manadrainer
08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Now Rafa has definitely the best chance. Slim chances for the other 2:

- Fed will be 35 when Rio comes around, don't if he'll still be playing

- Nole has got to win RG, and Rio is still far...

Fed should have won in 2004 when Massu (yes, Massu :facepalm:) won the gold. Instead he lost in the second round... :facepalm:

buzz
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
For Federer and Djokovic it will be hard because RIO is 4 years away and I don't expect both to be as fit as they are these days and it is only one chance. Djokovic should win the FO at least once in the next four years if he can keep his level up.

Nadal has the best chance, if he can get the USO2010 serve for a WTF I even give him a pretty good chance. But I don't know what he did to get that and if he can afford to get it again. Without that serve he is more likely than not to lose on fast indoor hard against Federer, Djokovic, Murray and maybe even Del Potro and Tsonga. But won't the WTF location change? If so it might get slower/bouncier?

DemiCrayanhan
08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
olderer - not unless rio is indoors. hell i hear the heat is unbearable there :shrug:

claygoat - not unless prince albert grants rafa's wish and brings wtf to monte carlo

djoker - honestly, don't care.

personally, all of the awards to delpo...hexagon the shit out of atp. 1 down 5 to go. the next 4 years is yours. book it.

Roy Emerson
08-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Looks hard now. Even for Novak who will be 29 at Rio. He might win a RG in the next 3 years but the Olympics at 29 will not be easy.

Johnny Groove
08-08-2012, 03:43 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Roland Garros
4. Australian Open
5. Year End Masters
6. Olympic Gold
7. Davis Cup

So, it's really a Septagon. Add in all the legit Masters 1000.

8. Indian Wells
9. Miami
10. Monte Carlo
11. Rome
12. Canada
13. Cincinnati
14. Paris Indoors

Players should strive for the "14-agon."

Federer is only missing 4. Gold Medal, Davis Cup, Monte Carlo, and Rome. But he does have a silver, 2 Rome Finals, and 3 Monte Carlo finals. Davis Cup is his worst, 1 SF in 2003.

Nadal is missing 4 as well. Year End Masters, Miami, Cincinnati, and Paris Indoor. He's made 1 YEC Final, 3 Miami finals, 1 Paris Final, but Cincinnati is his worst, only 2 SF.

Djokovic is missing 4. Roland Garros, Olympic Gold, Monte Carlo, Cincinnati, 3 finals in Cincy, 2 finals in Monte Carlo, a Bronze, and 1 RG Final.

Now these are records to keep an eye on. There is a chance none will achieve this.

Looner
08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Johnny, I am disappointed. You keep forgetting the all important slams such as Basel and Umag. Really, you can do much better.

Johnny Groove
08-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Basel perhaps now, Umag yes.

And Houston and Newport, lest we forget.

LeChuck
08-08-2012, 08:48 PM
To be honest the importance of masters series tournaments is overstated. I doubt many multiple masters series champions actually remember how many masters series tournaments they won in total, or their individual records at each of the individual events. I know that Sampras and numerous other players from the 90s have no idea how many masters titles they have to their name.

Really its a septagon, but the olympics is different to a slam or a regular tour event, in that a gold medal is a gold medal regardless of whether it has been achieved in singles or doubles, so Federer is an olympic champion. Similarly the Davis Cup is different in that it is a team event that combines singles and doubles (often the crucial and decisive rubber).

Litotes
08-08-2012, 10:15 PM
To be honest the importance of masters series tournaments is overstated. I doubt many multiple masters series champions actually remember how many masters series tournaments they won in total, or their individual records at each of the individual events. I know that Sampras and numerous other players from the 90s have no idea how many masters titles they have to their name.
Really its a septagon, but the olympics is different to a slam or a regular tour event, in that a gold medal is a gold medal regardless of whether it has been achieved in singles or doubles, so Federer is an olympic champion. Similarly the Davis Cup is different in that it is a team event that combines singles and doubles (often the crucial and decisive rubber).

That might perhaps be because the total was not very impressive? 11 to be precise. Six less than Agassi, that had to hurt.

PitsOfTheWorld
08-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Agassi's wiki article calls this the "Career Super Slam," apparently SI used that once.

SheepleBuster
08-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Seriously?

Dude. Will you get off that shit. The medals are not even gold. They are like 80% silver. Jesus Christ. Olympics is a glorified masters. Nobody will remember it. People pretend they care because their bum countrymen will be mad if they don't say that.

FiBeR
08-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Rafael Nadal.
His time off now, skipping the Olympics might be the perfect machiavelic plan from Uncle Tony to have Rafa well rested for the final part of the year assault :p

check it out.. everyone's burnt out in Toronto. Djokovic 3.0 is by no means in a near level of 2.0. Federer becomes Olderer from time to time, Murray is on a roll but, let's face it... it's Murray.

Tsonga's out, Del Potro's out too... mark my words, this will be the year Rafito will win the TMC :yeah: (:secret: and delPo will tank it so he can win the Davis Cup for Argentina)

Arkulari
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Exactly, see for example Phelps or Bolt, they are individual racers but also do team efforts and those medals are just as worthy as the ones they got on their own :)

Also, from the current big names, the only one with two Olympic medals is Federer.

Mirnyi is an Olympic champion, same as the Bryan Brothers, Rafa Nadal, Fernando González...

LeChuck
08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
That might perhaps be because the total was not very impressive? 11 to be precise. Six less than Agassi, that had to hurt.

LOL Sampras couldn't barely give a shit about the masters series event and you could see that with his attitude and the way he approached many of them during his career. He said himself many times that 'no-one cares how many times you win events like Cincy', and without looking it up I bet many people don't know that he won that event 3 times. It can't hurt him at all when he never cared about his masters series title count in the first place during his career, and after he retired he forgot about many of those events he won.

I wouldn't be surprised if Agassi doesn't even know that he won 6 more masters series titles than Sampras. A lot of fans don't realise how little players actually care about their career stats/achievements after they have retired and even during their careers in many cases, especially compared to those of us on tennis message boards. Sampras for example has talked about beating Becker to win his first Australian Open title in 1996 (I count 3 mistakes there), beating Agassi to win Wimbledon in 2000 and skipping RG in 2002. This shows how little he remembers or cares about his career activity.

Also current generation seem more squeaky clean compared to previous ones, when players like Sampras, Agassi, Borg, McEnroe and even the great fighter Connors regularly tanked matches at non-slam or less important tournaments when they couldn't be bothered.

Houstonko
08-09-2012, 08:24 AM
For Federer and Djokovic it will be hard because RIO is 4 years away and I don't expect both to be as fit as they are these days and it is only one chance. Djokovic should win the FO at least once in the next four years if he can keep his level up.

Nadal has the best chance, if he can get the USO2010 serve for a WTF I even give him a pretty good chance. But I don't know what he did to get that and if he can afford to get it again. Without that serve he is more likely than not to lose on fast indoor hard against Federer, Djokovic, Murray and maybe even Del Potro and Tsonga. But won't the WTF location change? If so it might get slower/bouncier?

Nadal already got US2010 serve in WTF2010, thats his best.

Litotes
08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
LOL Sampras couldn't barely give a shit about the masters series event and you could see that with his attitude and the way he approached many of them during his career. He said himself many times that 'no-one cares how many times you win events like Cincy', and without looking it up I bet many people don't know that he won that event 3 times. It can't hurt him at all when he never cared about his masters series title count in the first place during his career, and after he retired he forgot about many of those events he won.

I wouldn't be surprised if Agassi doesn't even know that he won 6 more masters series titles than Sampras. A lot of fans don't realise how little players actually care about their career stats/achievements after they have retired and even during their careers in many cases, especially compared to those of us on tennis message boards. Sampras for example has talked about beating Becker to win his first Australian Open title in 1996 (I count 3 mistakes there), beating Agassi to win Wimbledon in 2000 and skipping RG in 2002. This shows how little he remembers or cares about his career activity.

Also current generation seem more squeaky clean compared to previous ones, when players like Sampras, Agassi, Borg, McEnroe and even the great fighter Connors regularly tanked matches at non-slam or less important tournaments when they couldn't be bothered.

OK, you made the point that his memory is bad pretty convincingly. To say he didn't even care about the majors cannot be true.

Anyone who wins as much as he did had to really "turn up" more than five times a year - wouldn't you agree? Certainly he tanked the European clay season pre FO (if he even bothered to show up) more often than not. Didn't see a whole lot of tanking in Cincy, though. 3 W, 2 F, 1 SF and 2 QFs in the span 1991-99. Together with Miami this is his best Masters.

I tend to think the "Nobody cares" argument came part as an excuse for not doing better. You would expect him to win at least as many as he has slams, given there are twice as many opportunities off clay. Or at the very least as many as he won in the lesser category ATP 500 (which wasn't called that at the time, I know).

ServeVolley
08-09-2012, 12:18 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Roland Garros
4. Australian Open
5. Year End Masters
6. Olympic Gold
7. Davis Cup

How many times? Davis Cup is a TEAM event. No one player can win it. :facepalm:

IOFH
08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
All extremely unlikely, I don't think anyone of the 3 will achieve it. Of course at this point Nadal has the best chance for it just on the obvious fact that he probably has 4 chances for it before Fed or Djoko even get 1, barring retirement or drop of level.

Looner
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
If Nadal was as persistent in his pursuit of the WTF as JG is in trying to convince all rational people Davis Cup matters in the discussion for individual tennis achievements, he'd be sitting on more WTFs than RGs right now.

rafa_maniac
08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
People still going on about "a Gold is Gold no matter the event"? So if Federer had a Gold in Javelin he'd have a Golden Slam? :lol: Of course it doesn't matter in terms of your success as an Olympic athlete or the pride in representing your country, but it's not at all the same thing when it comes to assessing a player's tennis career.

Looner
08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
People still going on about "a Gold is Gold no matter the event"? So if Federer had a Gold in Javelin he'd have a Golden Slam? :lol: Of course it doesn't matter in terms of your success as an Olympic athlete or the pride in representing your country, but it's not at all the same thing when it comes to assessing a player's tennis career.

Tennis is one sport, athletics is another. You don't owe me anything for the lesson.

Johnny Groove
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
How many times? Davis Cup is a TEAM event. No one player can win it. :facepalm:

If Nadal was as persistent in his pursuit of the WTF as JG is in trying to convince all rational people Davis Cup matters in the discussion for individual tennis achievements, he'd be sitting on more WTFs than RGs right now.

Federer fans discounting Davis Cup, nothing new :shrug:

Arkulari
08-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Honestly... :lol:

Like I said before: Phelps and Bolt are individual racers, they set up to be the best in the world and they win a lot in their own, they also put themselves for collective medals and those aren't less valid for their count.

Tennis doubles is still tennis, hell had Muzza lost the singles final and won the mixed doubles I'd still consider him an Olympic Champion, I do for Mirnyi, I do for Fernando González, for Rafa Nadal, for Marc Rosset, for the Woodies, etc :shrug:

The Fearhand
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I picked Nadal not because I really believe he has some chances at all 6 but because Roger as well as Djo will have a TOUGH time winning the olympic gold because it's every 4 years and anything can happen so it's much much tougher. Roger I see with the least chances at the Hexagon but Djo will have a decent to good shot at winning the olympic gold in singles so if I had to express it in % I'd go:

Nadal: 50%
Djokovic: 45%
Roger 5%

If this was all 3 in their primes Nadal would be my 3rd pick. Rogers % is low because of his age otherwise he'd be much much higher on that list. If Nadal didn't have that olympic gold already he'd have the smallest chance at the Hexagon out of the 3.

ServeVolley
08-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Federer fans discounting Davis Cup, nothing new :shrug:

Are you deliberately being obtuse? Federer can never win the Davis Cup, just as Djokovic, Nadal, etc, have never and can never win it.

Switzerland as a team can win it, Spain as a team can win it, and Serbia as a team can win it - individual players can not. está claro? :)

IOFH
08-09-2012, 04:58 PM

If Federer had a gold in Javelin it would be far more impressive and pretty historic that he could be able to be world class in 2 sports so different.

Javelin gold >>>>>> singles tennis gold for Federer or any other tennis player.

MaxPower
08-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Another attempt to make Olympics look important. Next 3 seasons we don't have to worry about that travesty and thats good.

If "once every 4 years" make it so prestigous maybe ATP should make a new tournament that's played only every 8 years and only in 1 long set. Winner can get say 500 points and a slap in the face. That will make it superhard to win! yet the top rivals and their fantards would still fight over it and argue it's value :)

coluta
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
If Federer had a gold in Javelin it would be far more impressive and pretty historic that he could be able to be world class in 2 sports so different.

Javelin gold >>>>>> singles tennis gold for Federer or any other tennis player.

It would be so awesome that even trading the last Wimbledon* would not be too high a price to pay.

*apparently his Wibledon 2012 is used as currency on several threads here at MTF so I am just following the trend :)

FiBeR
08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
It would be so awesome that even trading the last Wimbledon* would not be too high a price to pay.

*apparently his Wibledon 2012 is used as currency on several threads here at MTF so I am just following the trend :)

If looking to get one of those, ask Boris Becker about it :p I heard he can give you a very good deal for a Wimbledon trophy :haha:

IOFH
08-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Definitely in Federer's position. To be both a great tennis player and javelin thrower makes one an insanely unique sportsman, to be the GOAT in tennis and win olympic gold in Javelin means one is dominating the universe in both life and death. :worship:

BAMJ6
09-10-2013, 05:53 AM
The Rafa wins the US Open bump.

If he doesn't get the hexagon this November, he's not getting it. AKA Roger Federer's scenario in the 2012 Olympics

PileDrive
09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
For Nadal, this is may be one last shot at it..He played a good WTF in 2010, but logically beaten by Federer in the Final. This time around, Fed may not make it, and even if he does his form may not be good enough..Nole might focusing on a Davis cup Final. Andy is in a bit of slump.. A round robin group of pigeons may help (Ferrer, Berdych, Wawa/Gasquet)..

LoveFifteen
09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
As others have said, this year is Rafa's best shot at the WTF title. He's playing well, he's not tired, and his main rivals are not peaking. Federer will never win the Olympic gold in singles, and I doubt Novak will win it either. I also don't know if Novak will win the French Open. :shrug:

I think the most likely scenario is that none of these guys will complete the career hexagon.