Best players at certain shots [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best players at certain shots

FlavorNuts
07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Who are some players you see and you think "no one else hits this shot as well as this guy"?

Berdych: Best I've ever seen at putting away a high bouncing ball with his forehand. Hits the ball so hard that he never has to follow it up with a volley. Hit anything short of the baseline to Berdych's forehand and the point is over instantly.

Davydenko: Best baseline movement and down the line forehand. When I'm watching Davydenko I know that when his opponent hits an offensive shot to his forehand, it will come back even harder down the line. He bends his knees more than anyone else, so he stays really low and has ridiculous balance and timing on that down the line forehand.

Mirnyi: Best volleys. That and his long reach makes him the perfect net player.

safin-rules-no.1
07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Federer: Everything he hits.

leng jai
07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
At the conclusion of this thread I hope to discover the best exponent of the backhand topspin dropshot.

duong
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
At the conclusion of this thread I hope to discover the best exponent of the backhand topspin dropshot.

Federer of course ! :D

Looner
07-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Indeed, Roger has given us some amazing new shots over the years but the dropshit remains my favourite :inlove:.

duong
07-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Indeed, Roger has given some amazing new shots over the years but the dropshit remains my favourite :inlove:.

especially the topspin one, some of his shanks were legendary :hearts:

BodyServe
07-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Marat Safin : Backhand smash

Li Ching Yuen
07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Wide sliced serve - Llodra, Federer
Inside-in Forehand - Berdych & Federer
Inside-Out Forehand - Nadal, Tsonga, Federer, Isner
Cross Court Forehand - Malisse
Cross Court Backhand - Djokovic
Backhand return - Djokovic, Murray, Fish
Overhead - Roddick
Backhand, Forehand on the run - Davydenko

uxyzapenje
07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
1st serve - Karlovic
2nd serve - Isner
ROS - Djokovic
Go for it FH - On fire Delpo (that shit is crazy)
Topspin FH - Nadal
single-handed BH - Fed, Wawrinka and Gasquet
Serve and voley - Stepanek
Defence to offence BH - Djokovic (when you think he cant get it he get it back to you so good you make and UE)
BH down-the-line - Tipsarevic (maybe I'm bias, but that's his money shot that got him to TOP10)
Smash - Roddick
Ballbash everything - Rosol :worship:
Drop Shot - ????

MinioNole
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Hmmm. Nole has been owning those lob shots for quite some time now. He's been pretty consistent with that shot.

shadows
07-16-2012, 11:02 AM
lob - hewitt

Fed fordawin
07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
lob- Nadal. On every shot infact.

leng jai
07-16-2012, 11:32 AM

You're fitting in nicely already :)

tripwires
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I can't answer this question because I am biased towards my favourite player.

Looner
07-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Inside-in Forehand - Berdych & Federer
Inside-Out Forehand - Nadal, Tsonga, Federer, Isner
Cross Court Forehand - Malisse
Cross Court Backhand - Djokovic
Backhand return - Djokovic, Murray, Fish
Overhead - Roddick
Backhand, Forehand on the run - Davydenko

I'll use this as my template

Flat serve, down the T - Raonic
Inside-in FH - Federer
Inside-Out FH- Nadal, Tsonga, Federer, Isner, Djokovic
Cross Court FH - Malisse
Cross Court BH - Djokovic (by a mile), Murray
BH return - Djokovic, Murray, Fish
Overhead - Roddick
BH, FH on the run - Davydenko

WhoCares
07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Backhand smash - Federer

ossie
07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
forehand: delpo (watch the sig)

n8
07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
I'll use this as my template

Flat serve, down the T - Raonic
Inside-in FH - Federer
Inside-Out FH- Nadal, Tsonga, Federer, Isner, Djokovic
Cross Court FH - Malisse
Cross Court BH - Djokovic (by a mile), Murray
BH return - Djokovic, Murray, Fish
Overhead - Roddick
BH, FHon the run - Davydenko

What about FH return?

Backhand drop shot: Giraldo. He hits it better than the world number two's signature shot.

8IiRPsGNuUU

Looner
07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I cannot say anything on the FH return if I don't want to look silly/guess. Novak's not bad but apart from that, I'm in the dark.

Fed fordawin
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Federer actually has a pretty solid forehand return. It's just that servers hit ii so often on the backhnad that he seems surprised every time they hit it to the forehand.

Li Ching Yuen
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Forehand return I'd go with Federer, Djokovic and Del Potro overall and with Berdych for the down the line return.

Usually the guys that can shorten their swing on that shot are the best at it. GGL should be pretty decent at it, but I don't remember singling out that shot from his game.

leng jai
07-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Backhand smash - Federer

You mean Patrick Rafter.

Looner
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
This is a really good thread and I'll even subscribe. Now we need some video evidence of inactive players to make it even better :).

Shirogane
07-16-2012, 02:06 PM
lob - hewittespecially BH lob :worship:

TBkeeper
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Who are some players you see and you think "no one else hits this shot as well as this guy"?

Berdych: Best I've ever seen at putting away a high bouncing ball with his forehand. Hits the ball so hard that he never has to follow it up with a volley. Hit anything short of the baseline to Berdych's forehand and the point is over instantly.

Davydenko: Best baseline movement and down the line forehand. When I'm watching Davydenko I know that when his opponent hits an offensive shot to his forehand, it will come back even harder down the line. He bends his knees more than anyone else, so he stays really low and has ridiculous balance and timing on that down the line forehand.

Mirnyi: Best volleys. That and his long reach makes him the perfect net player.

Like the one at 3:06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t1mfusa3-o and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmftkVmBMl4 against blake on the first set ball at *5-2 1:57

Whiznot
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Mikael Pernfors had the best ever desperate running forehand squash shot. Hit very hard with massive underspin the shot flummoxed poor Andre Agassi repeatedly. Pernfors was a blast.

green25814
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Agreed, Nadal's lobs are amazing, probably due to his top-spin.

GSMnadal
07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Backhand smash is Nadal's, he really gets great power from it. Lob, hmmm, Djokovic or Murray?

Other stuff like forehand really depends on the surface, on clay it's definitely Nadal, on faster/low bouncing surfaces Roger or JMDP.

Backhand Nole obviously.

Fujee
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Drop shot isn't really a contest, the one versus Agassi at the end is :drool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGggP2_dWxY

Nole Rules
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Backhand smash is Nadal's, he really gets great power from it. Lob, hmmm, Djokovic or Murray?

Other stuff like forehand really depends on the surface, on clay it's definitely Nadal, on faster/low bouncing surfaces Roger or JMDP.

Backhand Nole obviously.

What about Rafter? :p Nadal has a great BH smash I agree. Fed too.

Nole Rules
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Lob - Hewitt.

BH down the line: Djokovic, Nalbandian, Tipsarevic.

GSMnadal
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
What about Rafter? :p Nadal has a great BH smash I agree. Fed too.

Never seen enough from him to judge it (only remember the match with Ivanisevic really, and I was about 10 back then :p)

I just looked at active players with my picks.

Nole Rules
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Jumping 2-handed BH: Safin, Coria? Monfils?!

Anyone know who has the best jumping BH? I only remember these players.

fivebargate
07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Dropshot - Fed
DTL Forehand Passer - Nadal
FH CC Passer - Fed, Nadal, Murray
Slice - Fed
Lob - Nadal, Nole, Muzz, Fed
BH ROS - Nole
CC BH - Nole
OH BH Smash - Fed
Anything improvised or funhouse - Fed.

analysist
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Fake forehand drop shot slice forehand winner - Federer
Fake inside-in forehand side-spin forehand drop shot - Federer
Tweener - Federer

Fireballer
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Smash Djoker of course

green25814
07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Jumping 2-handed BH: Safin, Coria? Monfils?!

Anyone know who has the best jumping BH? I only remember these players.

Safin for sure

abraxas21
07-16-2012, 05:59 PM
people dissecting players' in detail on the internet best shots is borderline pathetic. time to go out and play the sport for yourselves. it's sunny out there

HKz
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
I still have to give Federer a thumbs up for his inside-out forehand. I mean when he is on, he hits that thing so flush and flat it just skids off the court. Nadal has a fantastic one as well, but loads up the spin on the ball too much for my taste on that inside-out forehand.

TBkeeper
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I still have to give Federer a thumbs up for his inside-out forehand. I mean when he is on, he hits that thing so flush and flat it just skids off the court. Nadal has a fantastic one as well, but loads up the spin on the ball too much for my taste on that inside-out forehand.

You mean like that :D ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j2kDxyB-d8

BK 201
07-16-2012, 06:45 PM
one handed running forehand diving passing shot down the line winner - Roddick (memphis)

Arakasi
07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Backhand drive volley: Davydenko
Forehand drive volley: Federer

Always admired these two strokes.

TBkeeper
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Backhand drive volley: Davydenko
Forehand drive volley: Federer

Always admired these two strokes.

Oh god yes ... there is another person who admires Drive volleys like me :worship:

Shirogane
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I still have to give Federer a thumbs up for his inside-out forehand. I mean when he is on, he hits that thing so flush and flat it just skids off the court. I really like Soderling's as well. :yeah:

HKz
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
I really like Soderling's as well. :yeah:

Soderling has a nice one as well, but I don't think it is Robin's signature shot, not to mention it really seems to be a fantastic shot for him when it is a high ball that he can just flatten since he uses such a pummeling grip. For Federer, that inside-out forehand has won him so many important points, most notably the one saving break point when he was 2 sets to love down agaisnt Haas at the 2009 French Open.

Freak3yman84
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Fake forehand dropshot with sidespin: Tomic(actually I've never seen anyone else do it :o)
7S55Pq4RrfI

Ash86
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Passing shots - Nadal. :worship:

OxyTX_fsTQQ

MuzzahLovah
07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Murray has the best down the line/offensive slice. Nole doesn't have particularly good drop shots, but they are some of the most effective because his baseline game and passing shots are so strong.

Lugburz
07-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Haas on all accounts, thread closed.

Orange Wombat
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Jumping between the legs volley- Paire.

Jumping drop shot- Mayer

Looner
07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I forgot to mention Rogie's GOATest shot - the fake DTL slice dropshot. Amazing. The first time I saw it was against Moya at RG. Amazingly cheeky and effective.

Murray has the best down the line/offensive slice. Nole doesn't have particularly good drop shots, but they are some of the most effective because his baseline game and passing shots are so strong.

I don't think so. Federer owns him in that shot and owns him big time.

Fake forehand dropshot with sidespin: Tomic(actually I've never seen anyone else do it :o)
Try watching this guy Federer - he's pretty good and knows how to play those.

leng jai
07-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Someone is in denial after watching the Wimbledon final.

motorhead
07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Someone is in denial after watching the Wimbledon final.:lol:

MTwEeZi
07-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Federer's falls are among the most spectacular in the game.

Freak3yman84
07-17-2012, 01:20 AM

I've never seen him hit that shot with sidespin... Get me a video of him hitting that shot and then I'll bow down to you good sir.

The Prince
07-17-2012, 03:26 AM
I forgot to mention Rogie's GOATest shot - the fake DTL slice dropshot. Amazing. The first time I saw it was against Moya at RG. Amazingly cheeky and effective.

I don't think so. Federer owns him in that shot and owns him big time.

Federer may be a quality tennis player with silky smooth skills and an amazing guy, but I'm afraid he doesn't hit the fake forehand dropshot with sidespin! :o

Looner
07-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Federer may be a quality tennis player with silky smooth skills and an amazing guy, but I'm afraid he doesn't hit the fake forehand dropshot with sidespin! :o

I'm afraid you're wrong. Actually, I'm not afraid.

analysist
07-17-2012, 09:39 AM
7S55Pq4RrfI
Fake forehand dropshot with sidespin from baseline, one of the best shot i've seen this year..watch out at 6:56 :
L3IpjWf9f98

Looner
07-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Thank you. I couldn't be bothered to enlighten the poor Tomictard :o.

n8
07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
I've never seen him hit that shot with sidespin... Get me a video of him hitting that shot and then I'll bow down to you good sir.

ZtmjuJpucWc

Another one, this one you can actually see the change in the ball's direction post bounce.

Looner
07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Tomic's looks special because of his unorthodox/ugly technique. I've seen loads of players hit a dropshot with sidespin. Most DSs actually have some sidespin at the very least.

n8
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
The more unusual aspect of Tomic's shot is his follow through. I think there may have been some toppy on that ball.

Freak3yman84
07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
ZtmjuJpucWc

Another one, this one you can actually see the change in the ball's direction post bounce.

Those are more slices don't you think?? Tomic hit his with the same forehand grip he hits a normal forehand with, and there Federer totally changes his grip. I probably should've mentioned that when I said I'd bow down to you guys :o.

Freak3yman84
07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

I hate Tomic tbh, he's a spoiled brat. I just have never seen a shot like that before without changing the grip.

Looner
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I think he's able to play that shot without a change in grip because of how strange his technique is in the first place. The other post was a joke :p.

Freak3yman84
07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
I think he's able to play that shot without a change in grip because of how strange his technique is in the first place. The other post was a joke :p.

Yeah your probably right, his technique is totally whack. So I :worship: you ;)

Fed fordawin
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Federer and his service return dropshot winners. He's using it more and more, and I can't think of anyone else on the tour doing that.

Whiznot
08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Nastase had a couple of great signature shots but there was one great shot no other player ever owned--the running backhand topspin lob!

BackhandDTL
08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Lob - Hewitt.

Thank you. Mentioning anyone other than Hewitt for a lob, specifically a topspin-aggressive lob, is questionable.

I'd add that for a squash shot, it doesn't get better than the two Andy's (Roddick and Murray).

And if we're really thinking specifics here, I'd throw in Tomic and that short topspin forehand of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S55Pq4RrfI&feature=related

Ah, and I see it has been mentioned.

blank_frackis
08-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Murray has the best defensive lob for me. It's ridiculous the amount of times he's out of position, throws a racquet at something, sends a ludicrous moonball looping into the air and brings it down on his opponent's baseline. It's actually his best shot in my opinion and I don't mean to belittle him.

ersatto
08-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you. Mentioning anyone other than Hewitt for a lob, specifically a topspin-aggressive lob, is questionable.

I'd add that for a squash shot, it doesn't get better than the two Andy's (Roddick and Murray).

And if we're really thinking specifics here, I'd throw in Tomic and that short topspin forehand of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S55Pq4RrfI&feature=related

Ah, and I see it has been mentioned.

:spit:

Federer?

Freak3yman84
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
:spit:

Federer?

Wrong. It's none of those players. The best squash shot is Paradorn Srichaphan's ;)

KMPTMQTtO-I