Atlanta reports: (Monday 1st round reports) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Atlanta reports: (Monday 1st round reports)

out_here_grindin
07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
I just made a snap decision to attend the Atlatanta event tomorrow. I am very much looking foward to the 10 singles matches(ill try to see as much of each as possible). The only match I will watch in its entirety, unless one is just riveting, is Steve Johnson vs Donald Young.

So I will have some reports and maybe some pics and videos as well.

Snowwy
07-16-2012, 12:47 AM
I just made a snap decision to attend the Atlatanta event tomorrow. I am very much looking foward to the 10 singles matches(ill try to see as much of each as possible). The only match I will watch in its entirety, unless one is just riveting, is Steve Johnson vs Donald Young.

So I will have some reports and maybe some pics and videos as well.

I think SJ will win that one. Look forward to the reviews.

SapELee
07-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Have fun and I also look forward to the reviews :).

Smoke944
07-16-2012, 12:58 AM
I think SJ will win that one. Look forward to the reviews.

Me too. Good OOP tomorrow.

SapELee
07-16-2012, 01:13 AM

I also love the lineup for tomorrow.

out_here_grindin
07-16-2012, 01:36 AM
I was planning to go Tuesday or Wednesday but I liked the line-up for tomorrow. I got a ticket 1st row of the upper deck right behind the court.

Snowwy
07-16-2012, 01:43 AM

How do you think SJ can do as a pro?

tennisfan856
07-16-2012, 03:00 AM
You also get to check out the bionic man on the same court which is nice.

while you're there, please ask paul capdeville how he actually got into this tourny lol.

Yandr001
07-16-2012, 03:19 AM
looking fwd to your reports!

Domis
07-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Hope you write something about Berankis Q3 match :)

evilmindbulgaria
07-16-2012, 05:12 AM
Stay cool and have fun :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
07-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Have fun :clap2:

RoddickFan88
07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Have fun! :)

Looking forward for the reports!

out_here_grindin
07-17-2012, 06:06 AM
I'll have reports up tomorrow and some pics and maybe more vidoes.

here are two videos I made, sorry for the small screen.

5XOx7aXkY0s&feature=plcp

2gpjYhvMo2k&feature=plcp

out_here_grindin
07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
The facility is very nice. It's set up in a cool way like a tennis village per se with things all around the main two courts. The 3rd court is a walk though and I neevr made it over there. I could see the practice courts from the parking garage when I parked and I saw Johnson hitting with Go Soeda.

My tickets were for the upper deck first row but since few were there I was able to sit in the first row right behind the ourt the whole day and because of this I didn't make many trips to the grandstand.

Berankis vs De Voest:

It was clear than Berankis was the better ball-striker and player. However he did not look like he was fully into the match. De Voest was basically just existeing out there, doing abolsutely nothing special, every once ina while he would hit a good volley. But basically it was the Berankis show, whether good or bad. De Voest somehow got the first set as Berankis made awful errors late in the set. Trying to his too heavy a ball and they went well well deep.
The 2nd set looked to be more of the same as Berankis was losing confidence quickly. He faced 3 match points at 6-7 3-5.(I have a video of him saving these match points). He saved them with some big serves and confident forehands. After he held to make it 4-5, the crowd(which had been asleep) got on Berankis's side because he was the more interesting player. De Voest served for the match at 5-4 and played a horrendous game that changed the match. He double faulted, made errors and looked very tight. The momentum was all on Berankis's side after that. He won the tiebreak and then went on to win the 3rd set.

Smyzcek vs Bubka

Only saw the end of the 2nd set of this one on the grandstand. Bubka wasserving bombs and Smyczek rarely had looks. He did have a look at one point when Bubka was serving for the match but missed a fairly easy forehand and screamed in frustration. Smyzcek was frustrated all match with the linespeople. I saw some of the first points from the back of the center court(you could see the grandtsand from there). He kept thinking serves were out, probably wishful thinking more than anything.

Sock vs Bogomolov Jr.

What an ugly display of tennis this was. Sock has no plan and was just hitting ugly looking shots but Bogomolov could not do anything in the first set. I can see why Bogomolov is not doing well this year, he has lost all of his grit that made him tough last year. Sock was struggling with his timing but Bogomolov did nothing about it, never made the youngster pay. Sock was serving well, the cannon read 141 at one point(I highly doubt it, looked more like 130). I sat near Bogomolov's coach/friend idk who he was, he was Bogo's age and had blonde air, Russian. He said "we're just trying to bounce back this year". It's tough for these guys during osing seasons, the coach looked dejected after the match and each time Bogo failed to deliver on a chance. The match had an hour 40 minute rain delay Sock leading 4-2 n the 3rd. Sock has an annoying habit of going touse the Bathroom right after the players come out onto the court, he did it even after the rain delay. Bogo came out of the delay was sharper and was moving his feet well. He had 4 break points, each time on a Sock 2nd serve. Twice he tamley hit the return long, prompting racket throws.
One of the break points Sock hit a big kick serve wide that was called out, Sock challenged, the machine said in. Bogo said the mark was out and had the linesman agree the mark was out. The umpire even said he thought it was out, but that they must go by the machine. That would have given Bogo the break. After losing the game he slammed his racket into his orange gatorade and sent it flying, the gatorade getting all over the ball girl, the umpire did nothing(he let 4 racket throws and that gatorade slam go without even a warning). Bogo still had fight in him though and broke Sock to make it 4-5. At this point his coach was pumped up(the crowd was for Sock). But he gave it right back on the next game ad Sock won in an ugly fashion. I was not impressed with Sock, really just an ugly match all the way through.

At 8:15 a man and his 3 kids came and took their seats in the first row, deciding that 8:15 was a good time to show up for the 6 tickets he spent money on(he didn't even realize there had been rain delay). So for the next match I had too sit in the 2nd row.

out_here_grindin
07-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Steve Johnson vs Donald Young

I went into this match thinking I was going to pull for Young because he needed the win more. However I found myself pulling for Johnson mainly because of a guy sitting behind me giving him zero respect(meanwhile talking about his son playing a lot and then saying his son is ranked 210 in the 13's in the STATE. ok sir).

Johnson came out on fire, nailing his forehand very heavily but also flattening it out some when going for winners. Johnson has a very power first game, howver he als has very good touch on volleys and lobs. His lobs are a sneaky good part of his game. The first set of this match was very good quality, especially compared to the previous match. Young was not playing badly Johnson was just controlling the points. He was also hitting the T on the serve at 125-130 consistently. Young was able to win some points by making Johnson move wide to the forehand with his lefty foreahdn. I have noticed this is a pla that works well vs Johnson in more than one match, however Young did not do it often enough. Young seemed to have no plan out there. I actually think had he committed to it, he was a bad matchp for Johnson. Each time Johnson got down 15-30 in his service ame he would answer with a big serve. Johnson has great court awareness and plays with a plan. He was 1 for 1 on break points in the 1st set, taking his one chace.

The crowd was for Young because it was his hometown, however Johnson won a fair amount of fans over and many were pulling for him as the match wore on.

The 2nd set, Johnson's level dropped. He was unable to hit his forehand flatly anymore and was looping it too much which caused erros when he was inside the baseline. Young didn't really change his game but allowed Johnson to drop. The guy behind me was like "This is it, Young has him figured out now, Johnson had his time in the spotlight". I knew this was wrong though and expected the 3rd set to be more like the 1st and Johnson to settle down and play well again. Johnson was in control of the match, that's the sense I got from it, it was he had the control over Young. This is why I think Johnson will rise fast, he knows exactly what he is doing out there and has a very professional demeanor already and sense of how a match is played.

The 3rd set is exactly what I expected. Johnson played well again, hit his spots on his serve. Young again did nothing to change or take advantage of his matchup advantage. He did not attack the Johnson backhand enough.

After losing match point, Young did a very sad looking spin and gave everyone in the crowd a sad look. He looked dejected and I donlt know if he can turn this around anytime soon, looked very defeated. Johnson meanwhile did a nice interview. He has a personality, throwing in some jokes about hitting Sock in the head with a serve in doubles(they are partners and playing each other in the next round) and that Atlanta is a great event, granted it being his 2nd week on tour. I expect Johnson to routine Sock like 3 and 3. Sock plays like Johnson, just that Johnson is way more polished and his forehand is far more precise. Johnson is going to make his mark soon.

Smoke944
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
lol, you are hard on Jack considering he was just out 4 months.

benji47
07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Jack Sock is probably my least favorite American youngster, his game just seems, what's the word, FORCED.

But I'm not sure about Steve being able to routine him in the next round. It would be ideal, but will probably be much more difficult than that.

Henry Chinaski
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks for the reports.

sock seems to enjoy a bit of gamesmanship.

out_here_grindin
07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Funny thing about Johnson is that he still thinks he is playing college matches sometimes. Like for instance he made moves to return ball that were lets(they play net balls in college) he went to pick up his own ball several times and at one point when Donald Young threw his racket to the fence, he looked at the umpire but then turned around and said basically to me(I was in front row at this point) "Oh yeah it's not college, no point penalties. Fuck!"

out_here_grindin
07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
It was 11:30 when I left the facility to make the 2 hour trek back home. So I did not see a lot of Baker and Kunitsyn, but from what I saw Baker seemed to be out of it a bit. He got the early 3-0 but it still felt like Kunitsyn was the more ready player.

I also saw a little bit of Mahut and Capdeville. Mahut was volleying well but not hitting well from the baseline. If Capdeville could pin Mahut back he was winning points, but he made too many random errors on easy balls to be effective enough.

Smoke944
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Jack Sock is probably my least favorite American youngster, his game just seems, what's the word, FORCED.

To be honest I'm the opposite. His poor form aside, I prefer Jack's game to the other 92 Americans. Very significant upside.

CooCooCachoo
07-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks!

Sock looked terrible in Newport too. Just your garden variety of a brainless ballbasher. Take away the serve, and he would struggle to win matches in Futures. But he might need time to hone his shots and might need some match practice after injury. We'll see.

Smoke944
07-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks!

Sock looked terrible in Newport too. Just your garden variety of a brainless ballbasher. Take away the serve, and he would struggle to win matches in Futures. But he might need time to hone his shots and might need some match practice after injury. We'll see.

At least a future top-25 player TBH

Henry Chinaski
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
agree with smoke. I think Sock has a lot of game. and he seems to have that genuine of self-belief/arrogance on the court that if harnessed in the right way can be a huge asset. (genuine, as opposed to the fake swagger of a guy like donald young, who clearly has zero self-belief)

he has lovely touch at the net too. against van der merwe in dallas when he had the ab injury he played an entire set of serve and volley behind nothing serves and somehow won the set. ok, merwe could barely hit a tennis ball at the time but it was still impressive.

tennisfan856
07-17-2012, 11:13 PM
grindin, nice reports. I heard that bragging dude on the online stream so you might've been close to the camera as well.

Also, I really found Johnson's backhand very poor. What did you make of it live?

SapELee
07-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the reports. IMO, Johnson and Sock play a similar brand of tennis. Both have great serve, great forehand (like to dictate points with it), have good netskill, like to serve&volley, have terrible backhand and will often run around it). To me, Steve Johnson is like an older version of Jack Sock.

Smoke944
07-18-2012, 02:31 AM
agree with smoke. I think Sock has a lot of game. and he seems to have that genuine of self-belief/arrogance on the court that if harnessed in the right way can be a huge asset. (genuine, as opposed to the fake swagger of a guy like donald young, who clearly has zero self-belief)

he has lovely touch at the net too. against van der merwe in dallas when he had the ab injury he played an entire set of serve and volley behind nothing serves and somehow won the set. ok, merwe could barely hit a tennis ball at the time but it was still impressive.

Yeah. He has really big potential as an offensive player when you look at his game as a whole. I'm excited to see what Joakim Nystrom can do with him, hopefully they'll have a long and successful partnership.

Thanks for the reports. IMO, Johnson and Sock play a similar brand of tennis. Both have great serve, great forehand (like to dictate points with it), have good netskills, like to serve&volley, have terrible backhand and will often run around it). To me, Steve Johnson is like a older version of Jack Sock.

I agree they are similar, but I think once Jack gets into a bit of form you will see that his backhand is far better than Steve's. It can really be effective at times.

evilmindbulgaria
07-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the reports :yeah:

Funny thing about Johnson is that he still thinks he is playing college matches sometimes. Like for instance he made moves to return ball that were lets(they play net balls in college) he went to pick up his own ball several times and at one point when Donald Young threw his racket to the fence, he looked at the umpire but then turned around and said basically to me(I was in front row at this point) "Oh yeah it's not college, no point penalties. Fuck!"

:lol: that's classic!

CooCooCachoo
07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
At least a future top-25 player TBH

Without the serve? (Which was the point of my post)

out_here_grindin
07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Berankis saving match points and winning game vs De Voest.

NIUjFFYXVFM&feature=plcp

out_here_grindin
07-21-2012, 01:42 AM
I will be going tomorrow also. 2nd to last row right in the middle though. I hope I will be able to get close for the first semi. Then enjoy the atmosphere of the 2nd at night. No rain please.