Wimbledon F: Nielsen/Marray def. Lindstedt/Tecau 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon F: Nielsen/Marray def. Lindstedt/Tecau 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3

misty1
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Fantastic result for freddie and john. What a fairytale tournament for them. Two great guys that really played an amazing tournament. They make history in so many different thing:
first wild cards to win wimbledon
first danish player to win a grand slam in over 50 years
first time for a british man to win the doubles title in over 50 years

freddie was visibly nervous the entire way but managed to do well anyway. Marray was the best player on court

gutted for horia tecau. As for lindtsedt..the guy is an asshole and i hope horia finds someone better to partner

August
07-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Great match, so happy for Johnny and Freddy! :worship:

Rafa is the GOAT
He is not the first denish to win a slam ever
His great grand father won a slams too!

Rafa is the GOAT
Are they now qualified for the WTF

pesto
07-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Just amazing.

misty1
07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
He is not the first denish to win a slam ever
His great grand father won a slams too!

did he? i thought he was the runner up twice

nole_no1
07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
:bigcry: 3rd consecutive Wimbledon final lost by Lindstedt/Tecau. This was their best chance to win their first GS and i thought they will after they came back from 2-5 in the 4th set TB winning it 7-5. Unfortunatelly it wasn't their day :sad:

Congrats to Marray/Nielsen they had an incredible run here

coluta
07-07-2012, 09:41 PM
He was runner up in singles but he won mixed doubles.
I feel really really sorry for Horia. :sad:

the reff
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
did he? i thought he was the runner up twice

he held a doubles title in US-Open (mix I think)

He never won wimbledon

Arkulari
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
What a fairy tale, so happy for them!!!

http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/thumbs/m_13_marrayNielsen_51_aeltc_m_hangst.jpg

KoOlMaNsEaN
07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
What a fairy tale, so happy for them!!!

http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/thumbs/m_13_marrayNielsen_51_aeltc_m_hangst.jpg

:bounce::bounce: Great stuff! So uplifting to see these two win

the reff
07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I still can't get my head around this ;)
Congrats boys!!!!!

Arkulari
07-07-2012, 10:40 PM
VRzJ_x46fHo

RE0jlX9d0lg

sammy01
07-07-2012, 10:47 PM
So happy for freddie, always good when one of the nice guys of tennis is rewarded

ZackBusner
07-07-2012, 11:03 PM
:woohoo:

Political Breaking News in Denmark:
(http://politiken.dk/)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/Busners/poli.jpg

scoobs
07-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Congrats to both of them - what an awesome win. Great for the Brit contingent and so nice for Freddie Nielsen too.

Andreas
07-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I can't believe Frederik is a Wimbledon champion. Awesome match and awesome result, many congrats :yeah::D

scoobs
07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm sad for Horia and Robert though - rough to lose 3 in a row and Robert's agonising wait for a Grand Slam final continues....

delpiero7
07-08-2012, 12:19 AM
From scratching about in challengers to winning Wimbledon...absolutely remarkable.

Congrats to both guys. Any idea where this will put their ranking with regard to WTFs?

Don't feel sorry for Lindstedt at all, he and Bjorkman must be related somehow.

green25814
07-08-2012, 12:32 AM
:woohoo:

Political Breaking News in Denmark:
(http://politiken.dk/)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/Busners/poli.jpg

:haha: We will run this story until the Olympics for sure

Congrats Freddie, and Marray too

Arkulari
07-08-2012, 02:13 AM
From scratching about in challengers to winning Wimbledon...absolutely remarkable.

Congrats to both guys. Any idea where this will put their ranking with regard to WTFs?

Don't feel sorry for Lindstedt at all, he and Bjorkman must be related somehow.

All the GS winners play the WTF automatically :)

e476
07-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Thrilled for Frederik and Jonathan for their history making win. For Tecau and Lindstedt - wow, just tough luck to lose so many Wimby finals. I hope they finally win a GS somewhere, whether or not it is Wimby.

seljanin
07-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Watched almost the whole match, and well done to Jonathan/Frederik pair :yeah: What an amazing run this was, a fairytale run indeed. I am a fan of Bryan twins, but starting from 3rd round I was constantly rooting against them :lol: Firstly, I wanted Clement to go as far as possible, then I was rooting for Rampras, and then in the semifinal I was firmly rooting for the fairytale story to happen. Frederik seemed so tight and nervous at the end of the final, so glad they were able to get past the finish line :)

Thumbs up to Nielsen snatching a Grand Slam title before Wozniacki, who will most likely never win it anyway :yeah: :lol:

And Marray, one of the true S&V players, now very rarely seen playing singles, but what a fantastic turnaround to his doubles career - from a full year in challenger circuit to a Wimbledon title :worship: Same goes to Freddy as well, of course.

About Nielsen not wanting to give up on his singles career. It's hard to say, probably it is not a wrong decision, last year was a rather good year for him in singles, he managed to climb up in the rankings high enough to be able to enter Grand Slam qualifying, and this year he qualified for a Grand Slam main draw (AO) for the 1st time in his career. So, hard to say, the decision is up to him.

Nixer
07-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Marray and Nielsen win a Slam before Andy and Wozniacki :lol: Impressive :worship:

Tommy_Vercetti
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Good for them. They deserve it. However, I hate that the truly horrible scheduling seemed to work out for the organizers.

Iván
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
The british media truly did not give two shits about this

im truly shocked by the lukewarm reaction from the media.

doubles is so low key even for a slam in the medias eyes

outrider
07-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Can not understand why a mug like Jamie Murray is playing Olympics

Marray > Jamug Mugray

CooCooCachoo
07-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Marray > Jamug Mugray

Few people would have said this prior to Wimbledon :shrug:

outrider
07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Few people would have said this prior to Wimbledon :shrug:
I asked myself this few times and not only after this guy won Wimbledon. Jamug Mugray is worst player i have ever seen playing on ATP TOUR Level. And everybody knows that he is a clown and will only play there because of his crying baby brother.

Jakezie
07-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Marray > Jamug Mugray

Such a shame that the deadline was made before the end of Wimbledon, oh well I'm sure Marray is more than satisfied with yesterday's triumph!

CooCooCachoo
07-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I asked myself this few times and not only after this guy won Wimbledon. Jamug Mugray is worst player i have ever seen playing on ATP TOUR Level. And everybody knows that he is a clown and will only play there because of his crying baby brother.

Well, yes, Murray is a Challenger-level doubles player. But so was Marray. The only difference being that Murray was overranked.

KarlyM
07-09-2012, 12:48 AM
:worship:

JMG
07-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Are Marray/Nielsen qualified already? Shouldn't they be out, if another team wins the USO and finishes outside the top 8, but better than M/N? For example Erlich/Ram, Lipsky/Ram, Melz/Petz, Isner/Querrey...

JMG
07-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I agree that Murray is a mug, but he fluked a mixed slam at least, so there is some similarity. Marray is also not much more than a very good volleyer, the rest is average. I wouldn't call him the strong part of the Brown/Marray challenger doubles this year. His serve isn't always as good as it was in Wimbledon, his return game can be ugly.

ZackBusner
07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
They are staying together. At least for this summer. Nielsen told Danish media that he and Jonny are going to play Cincinnati, Winston-Salem, and US Open. But Freddy still plans to return to the challenger tour for singles.

http://www.sporten.dk/tennis/frederik-og-marray-fortsaetter-sammen

cobalt60
07-11-2012, 11:58 PM
They are staying together. At least for this summer. Nielsen told Danish media that he and Jonny are going to play Cincinnati, Winston-Salem, and US Open. But Freddy still plans to return to the challenger tour for singles.

http://www.sporten.dk/tennis/frederik-og-marray-fortsaetter-sammen

Great news!!

CooCooCachoo
07-12-2012, 10:11 AM
His ranking isn't good enough to play Challengers even :sobbing: (Well, he can play qualies)

But very good news :yeah: Hopefully they'll have a lot of success so that Nielsen decides against singles.

gaitare
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Some "aging" singles players were having time of their lives in singles after posting some quite surprising but excellent doubles results, I sort of understand Nielsen.