Nadal on RG final day 2: "I almost couldn't breath I was so nervous" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal on RG final day 2: "I almost couldn't breath I was so nervous"

Ash86
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
So Nadal did an online webchat thing today and when asked about his emotional celebration on winning RG he talked again about being really nervous the second day coming out with Novak serving at 2-1 in the fourth. He said in an interview earlier that he only felt ready to go on court 3 minutes before as he had felt too tense all morning but hearing him talk about it in more detail here I'm really surprised he was able to come out and play so well straight away (see minute 11:50 onwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq1If6nJEKI)...

Did he seem that nervous?! And again how could he channel that into still playing well? Novak is the one who should have come out confident but his slow starts cost him again. He really missed an opportunity to potentially kill of Rafa as a future threat to him altogether - the toll of 3 slam defeats is clear - Nadal has shown a LOT of resilience to keep on fighting but think this would have been the final blow and Nadal's comments basically acknowledge that.

As a fan I'm happy that didn't happen of course but interesting to think about how pivotal that match was in determining the future of the top of men's tennis...

[He also has a good response on the Nalbandian situation at 17:40 -- talks about the mental pressure in tennis, Nalbandian's a good guy etc.]

Apophis
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Yes the match was tremendously important for their career, dynamic and tennis history, and both were very much aware of that. It was the ultimate chance for Djokovic and he didn't take it.

Caesar1844
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Aw jeeze. I like Nadal, but he's such a fairy. Some of the drama he goes on with is eyeroll stuff.

ahadabans
06-22-2012, 11:39 PM
It's probably the most important victory of his career. Both from a historical standpoint, and as far as his future career is concerned. He may have stopped at 10 slams had he lost. Not sure there is anyway to recover from losing 4 straight slam finals to the same player. That's utter domination.

born_on_clay
06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
He's so emotional and humble young man :angel: