Grass Court Season 2012 - Wimbledon [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grass Court Season 2012 - Wimbledon

ImmzB
06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
18/06/2012 - Week 25: Eastbourne- ATP 250 (Grass)
25/06/2012 - Week 26: Wimbledon- Grand Slam (Grass)
02/07/2012 - Week 27: Wimbledon- Grand Slam (Grass)

ImmzB
06-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Richard either plays James Ward or a Qualifier in R2.

Draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/741/mds.pdf

ImmzB
06-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Lost 6/1 6/7 6/7 to Australain, Matosevic. :mad: :mad:

Very disappointing result, Gasquet should of won this in 2.

Credit to Matosevic, he did play well in set and 3.

silverwhite
06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Those 2 routine FHs at *5-4 :lol:

Puschkin
06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
What happened? I have only seen the first set!

17 points more than his opponent and losing. Can't get any more bizarre!

ImmzB
06-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Matosevic got better as he went on during the match but Richard should of finished this in 2. Missed 2 FH in the 2nd set TB at *5/4 where he went for the winner.

Richard played a "tank" game at 6/5* in the 3rd when he had the momentum after breaking the Matosevic serve when he served for it and held his own game which was very weird.

On the 2nd MP, he went for the return and then pulled out. :confused:

Gasquetno.1
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Kind of glad he lost, still don't see why he played this week. Good rest for Wimbledon, I'll blame his performance on that ;)

ImmzB
06-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Onto Wimbledon....... :rocker2:

Draw is out Friday! :bounce:

Schu
06-20-2012, 01:26 AM
SO much for getting some grass court match practice. I'm still trying to figure out where the hell his head was during that match, sure doesn't look ready, mentally or physically to play Wimbledon.

silverwhite
06-22-2012, 10:58 AM
[12]Almagro v Rochus
Rufin v Darcis
Berlocq v Bemelmans
Kamke v [18]Gasquet
[31]F.Mayer v Tursunov
Petzschner v Kavcic
Bolelli v Janowicz
Gulbis v [6]Berdych

Decent draw, but he's capable of losing to anyone

Gasquetno.1
06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Yessss no top 4 in round 4 for once (I think?)

ImmzB
06-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Yessss no top 4 in round 4 for once (I think?)

2012 Australian Open, he had Ferrer.

Stronga23
06-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Come on Richie we believe in you. You are the French No.2 as far as GS chances go now that Gael is most likely done this year. Time to step it up :D

Schu
06-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Richard first match on Court 17

Not on one of the main "show" courts but www.espn3.com lists that court as one they will be showing. First match is a bit too early for me to wake up unless I'm sure he'd play really well so it was worth it. Maybe I'll catch the end.

Puschkin
06-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Richard first match on Court 17........ Maybe I'll catch the end.
Lucky you. I will be at work during the match. Thus, comments will be highly appreciated. Allez, Richard. :D

afterglows
06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Allez Richie !

I'll be at work too. Hope he'll play a good match and we'll be able to see some sweet backhand DTL in a highlight video tonight. Allez !

scmom
06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Did not see it, but given the score - looks like a routine opening round. Good luck in the second round ,Richard!

Puschkin
06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
I could not see anything, but the stats look good apart from the first serve percentage.

ImmzB
06-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Allez! :)

silverwhite
06-25-2012, 07:49 PM
His draw is opening up, with Berdych losing and Almugro 2 sets to 0 down :o

Quetzal
06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Berdych out ;-)

afterglows
06-26-2012, 04:56 PM
His draw is opening up, with Berdych losing and Almugro 2 sets to 0 down :o

Well, Rochus has blown his advantage. Almagro (and his 3-0 record against Richie) is still there.

rosehavn
06-27-2012, 09:18 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

No. 2 Court
Gentlemen's Singles - R2

Gasquet beats Bemelmans

6-3, 6-4, 6-4

Puschkin
06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Great that he got it done today, too solid for Bemelmans, but I would like to see some more penetrating and powerful serving. He will need that against Almagro.

bleu_cheese
06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I saw some of it, pretty good performance. Glad he's getting through comfortably.

EternalxJourney
06-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Please beat Almagro, Richie.

Vlad1980
06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I know Richard used to serve up to 130 mph easily on grass before.. like in 2007 and 2008 but now it seems he is not really going for more than 120 at all. Last year against Murray was same story and he got broken few times. I am not sure if it is a function of his elbow or he just going for less but higher %.. although his % is not that much higher.

Against Almagro, it is hard to say. I think just few years ago I would say Almagro would stand no chance, but Almagro has gotten better on grass and has a lot of weapons. I hope Richard won't be just sort of waiting for errors, but instead will play aggressive.

Puschkin
06-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I know Richard used to serve up to 130 mph easily on grass before.. like in 2007 and 2008 but now it seems he is not really going for more than 120 at all.
We had a similar debate on rgnet, I think Richard regularly serving 130 mph is a myth, but yesterday even 120 was the exception, but maybe he did not force the issue, as he had a huge margin throughout the match. However, he served very well and fast in his unlucky defeat in Eastbourne, so I prefer to think that he justdid what was necessary to get over Bemelmans.

ImmzB
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Allez Richard!! :)

All the best against Almagro!!

Vlad1980
06-28-2012, 09:35 PM
We had a similar debate on rgnet, I think Richard regularly serving 130 mph is a myth, but yesterday even 120 was the exception, but maybe he did not force the issue, as he had a huge margin throughout the match. However, he served very well and fast in his unlucky defeat in Eastbourne, so I prefer to think that he justdid what was necessary to get over Bemelmans.

No, it is not a myth. By regularly, I say when he went for it, not on change ups and not a slice serve. I clearly remember a match against Roddick in 07, he was hitting flat serves at high 120s easily.. some even in 130s.. I also clearly remember he was hitting above 130 at times during Murray match in 08 even 133 couple times.. Maybe just radar guns got more accurate? I have also to some of his matches at US Open and saw 125s, 128s on regular basis.. maybe you right and he was not forcing it.. we'll see against Almagro because he will have to be more aggressive.

Vlad1980
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Richard is on court 1. He really likes that court.

Puschkin
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
YES! YES! YES!

I thoroughly enjoyed the three aces after he broke Almagro in the 3rd set to confirm the break. That was the perfect message. Today there was no doubting!

silverwhite
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Almagro made a lot of errors :lol:

Some clutch serving from Richard though. He saved 15-40 at *4-3 in the second, I think, with some big serves and a S&V ;)

Vlad1980
06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
What a solid match from Richard. He was mentally in this one from start to finish and never gave any chance to Almagro. Grass court tennis = variety, placement on serve, net game. Almagro got none of that. I think this match would show how much of grass court player Richard is compared to clay, even though he has good results on clay.

afterglows
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Today there was no doubting!

Exactly! He seems confident. It's nice to see.

Allez! Next round F.Mayer.

Jozie
06-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Allez Richard! :worship:
Unfortunately missed his entire match. I hope a link of the match highlights will be posted online.

Schu
06-30-2012, 03:49 PM
:clap2:BRAVO RIchie! Nice smart, aggressive play. Richard's variety really exposed how "one dimensional" Almagro is. Richard was a man on a mision today; opened the match by winning the first 10 points :eek: and never looked back! Winning is always nice, beating Almagro is fantastic.

Richard looking more confident/playing better grass court tennis with each match. Anyone realize that Richard has not dropped a set after 3 rounds!

Vlad1980
06-30-2012, 06:36 PM
:clap2:BRAVO RIchie! Nice smart, aggressive play. Richard's variety really exposed how "one dimensional" Almagro is. Richard was a man on a mision today; opened the match by winning the first 10 points :eek: and never looked back! Winning is always nice, beating Almagro is fantastic.

Richard looking more confident/playing better grass court tennis with each match. Anyone realize that Richard has not dropped a set after 3 rounds!

Yeah it was a really solid match. No panic, few times Almagro did hit nice shots, but you could tell one guy clearly confident on the surface and other is not.

Vlad1980
06-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Puschkin, as far as serves, I notices that they are lower for almost every player at this event, something has to do with less juicy guns. Also, Richard hit 127 while Almagro hit 129 and that makes sense because Almagro hits 135 mph easily in other events.

rosehavn
06-30-2012, 07:56 PM
:wavey:Greetings all Gasquet fans! Do u think Richard can make it to the final this year? I think he has more passion in his game (especially confidence), and perhaps a hunger for a Grand Slam win. What do you think?

ImmzB
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Alllez!! :)

Nice win over Almagro! :)

Mayer next!

Vlad1980
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
atrocious first set from Richard. It's like he was expecting Mayer to come out and start missing everything like Almagro, but instead Mayer is playing very well and so far outplaying Richard in every way.

afterglows
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Can't watch the match.

It doesn't look good from the scoreboard. After the usual break in the beginning of the match, he lost the first set by being broken again. I'm worried.

Please come back Richie!!

Vlad1980
07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Can't watch the match.

It doesn't look good from the scoreboard. After the usual break in the beginning of the match, he lost the first set by being broken again. I'm worried.

Please come back Richie!!

He is not doing anything to win this match. Returning from a mile away and framing returns. I don't know what he is thinking so far. He looks shocked that Mayer is hitting deep and making shots.
Rain delay. He needs it badly. Piati better kick his ass and tell him to start taking chances on return of serve, Mayer will not just lose this match, Richard will have to actually win it.

Jozie
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Thank goodness it is raining, is all I can say.
Hoping Richard comes back in a different frame of mind.
Allez Richard, not all is lost :)

Puschkin
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
He is not doing anything to win this match. Returning from a mile away and framing returns. I don't know what he is thinking so far. He looks shocked that Mayer is hitting deep and making shots.
That is too negative. You make it sound as if Richard is just standing there.

In the first set his W/UE ratio was 10-1, but Mayer's was 18-3. He won five points more than Richard.

rosehavn
07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
He needed the rain. Hopefully, he will get a fresh start when they start playing again. I need to watch the scores (only) from the computer until he wins 2 sets!:banghead:

Vlad1980
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
That is too negative. You make it sound as if Richard is just standing there.

In the first set his W/UE ratio was 10-1, but Mayer's was 18-3. He won five points more than Richard.

I was watching the whole match. Richard was not doing much to force Mayer. Mayer was playing very well, but Richard played very passive and returned from really far back. I mean most players return closer to baseline on clay. He will have to step in on returns to win this match. So far he played as if he expected Mayer to just play a loose serve game.

ImmzB
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Come on Richard!!

Credit to Mayer, he played a good 1st set!

icecastle
07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Sucks that the only day I can actually watch Richard play and there's rain delay.

silverwhite
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Way to take advantage of the draw :yawn:

juvvi
07-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Richie's potentially looking at a five set game if he wants to win this 4th round match. I would've been comfortable if the rain stoppage happened when Mayer was serving, because when they return it'd be ok if Richard lost that game as he would still have his serve coming up next. I'm worried if he loses his serve first up today when he returns, he has a huge wall to climb for victory :(

Even in the match against Almagro last round, I felt Richard didn't quite step on the pedal. Even more so in this match. Hope he wakes up fresher today and gives us a great game.

afterglows
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I would've been comfortable if the rain stoppage happened when Mayer was serving, because when they return it'd be ok if Richard lost that game as he would still have his serve coming up next. I'm worried if he loses his serve first up today when he returns, he has a huge wall to climb for victory :(

Same here. I hope he'll hold his serve when he comes back.

Good luck Richie.

Vlad1980
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Gasquet starts even worse than last night. Just donates serve break and is just not capable of hitting the ball at all, I don't think I have ever seen anything like that at Wimbledon.

It looks like he is tanking. Double break down. I am not joking but he does not want to be on court or in 1/4 final.

Rain delay again. This does not even qualify for half heart effort, this is no heart effort. There must be sort sort of mental block for 4th round for him. He is never the same player in 4th round as he is earlier.

juvvi
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Gasquet starts even worse than last night. Just donates serve break and is just not capable of hitting the ball at all, I don't think I have ever seen anything like that at Wimbledon.

It looks like he is tanking. Double break down. I am not joking but he does not want to be on court or in 1/4 final.

Rain delay again. This does not even qualify for half heart effort, this is no heart effort. There must be sort sort of mental block for 4th round for him. He is never the same player in 4th round as he is earlier.

He was the same in the previous rounds too. Hasn't brought his bet at this Wimbledon yet. Mayer seems to be an awkward/smart player who got on his mind. It's pathetic to lose to Mayer though. May be Richard's just having a really bad day.

afterglows
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
This is really disappointing.

:sad:

ImmzB
07-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Come on Richard!!

Even at 0-2 sets down, we believe!!

FIGHT!!

ALLLEZ!!!

Vlad1980
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
He was the same in the previous rounds too. Hasn't brought his bet at this Wimbledon yet. Mayer seems to be an awkward/smart player who got on his mind. It's pathetic to lose to Mayer though. May be Richard's just having a really bad day.

Well his previous opponents played really bad so it is hard to compare. Almagro could not return, hit a slice, hit a dropshot or get to net. Richard seemed to have more energy and desire though. Yesterday and today he is just frozen and he doesn't know what is going on. I am especially surprised to not see any sort of urgency down a set today. It's like he doesn't care at all. It's like he had good result reaching 4th round and he is ready to pack it up.

Vlad1980
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Richard is getting completely demolished from the baseline.. especially on the backhand side, he cant handle the flat shots or Mayer. Now, since he doesn't have second serve return he can't really do much on returns! He needs help from Mayer to start missing. Richard is holding so far because he is serving at like 80% first serves... but once the ball is in play...

silverwhite
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Pathetic :lol:

Vlad1980
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
At 2-3 on serve in 4th set, Richard threw his racquet toward the chair during changeover. At that point he:

1. Realized he has no return game whatsoever.
2. He is getting demolished in rallies and cant do much about it
3. Mayer is playing so good.. how can he?
4. He pretty much reduced his efforts to 0 and quickly lost.

Pathetic match on many levels and I am half the fan I was before this match. The guy simply refuses to change his losing game and to fight like all other players.

silverwhite
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
At 2-3 on serve in 4th set, Richard threw his racquet toward the chair during changeover. At that point he:

1. Realized he has no return game whatsoever.
2. He is getting demolished in rallies and cant do much about it
3. Mayer is playing so good.. how can he?
4. He pretty much reduced his efforts to 0 and quickly lost.

Pathetic match on many levels and I am half the fan I was before this match. The guy simply refuses to change his losing game and to fight like all other players.

+1

Pathetic lack of fight as usual, as reflected by the scoreline

Quetzal
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I agree, it`s really a big disaster. He was so close to be in quaterfinal again, and... :-(

Schu
07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
VERY disappointing effort from Richard. Richard looked slow, got out played from the baseline and just didn't seem to care, no intensity.

YEsterday Mayer played a very good but not great first set that completely rattled Richard and even with 2 rain delays to turn the momentum Richard had absolutley NOTHING to hurt Mayer. Not sure where Richard's grass court game went but it hasn't been around for the last 2 Wimbledons.

juvvi
Pathetic :lol:

yeah genius.

Puschkin
Pathetic match on many levels and I am half the fan I was before this match.
I will only visit this forum occasionally in the future, but not because of the reason given above:

I will always support Richard. This place was once a fan forum, already some time ago, it developed into a copy of some French sites where Richard is riduculed and bashed. I don't want to be part of that.

juvvi
07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I will only visit this forum occasionally in the future, but not because of the reason given above:

I will always support Richard. This place was once a fan forum, already some time ago, it developed into a copy of some French sites where Richard is riduculed and bashed. I don't want to be part of that.

Yeah me too. I already visit it very rarely.

afterglows
07-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I didn't see the match so can't really comment on the level of play or the attitude.
Maybe it was on of those days were he doesn't feel the ball right.

Anyway, very disappointing result.
Hope he can do better in the olympics and/or american hard courts.

ImmzB
07-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Another 4th round exit for Richard! :sad: :sad:

Mayer played a great match and hit some great shots, he controlled the match from the 1st game where he broke. Richard started the restart after the match got suspended yesterday getting broken from 40-15 up and then Mayer broke again and held to take the 2nd set.

Richard did well to come back in the 3rd set and take it to the 4th but then Mayer got the break and it was all him after that.

Yes, it's very disappointing because Richard has failed again to reach the QF!! :mad: :mad:

This was a great chance for him...... again credit to Mayer who played a great match!!

Schu
07-03-2012, 02:50 PM

I have been disappointed in Richard for over a year but keep hoping he'll show some fight and use his skills/talent to improve his game but I'm not seeing it and this Wimbledon I've pretty much lost hope that I'll ever see it. It isn't just the poor effort today but a series of matches in which he just can't dig down and fight, and change his game to do what needs to be done to win.

Richard seems like a really nice guy but that isn't going to win matches against even top 30-40 players who really know what it means to compete EVERY time they walk on a court.

Richard - hope you still prove me wrong but at 26 time is running out. :wavey:

Vlad1980
07-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Tennis is the sport it is today is only because of fans. Pro players make so much money and are famous only because of the fans. Now, when a player you support clearly does not really care on the court and pretty much quits playing mid-match (and Richard has done that A LOT) it is simply disrespectful. When was the last time Richard lost a match in GS while we were all proud? When was the last time he fought like all those top 10 players? When was the last time he ever bothered to change his losing and ineffective game?? He pretty much quit in the third set against Murray last year. He played sort of indifferent and passive against Ferrer at AO. He was getting demolished at RG against Murray and did nothing. It's like he gets to fourth round and then stops playing, even though all other players only raise their level. I think criticizing him for that is only natural and normal.

At this point, forget about a win in 4th round, how about a loss that he can still be proud of? Is that really asking too much? Where is the effort like he showed against Hewitt in NY? Who would ever criticize him if he showed us that once in a while? Why is it always such a dismal performance when it really matters?

ImmzB
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
What can we do now?

Everyone's disappointed with today's result but we can't do anything now therefore we should concentrate on his next tournament which is Umag.

Schu
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM

IT isn't ridicule, it's called tough love or more accurately facing facts.

Being a professional athlete is a tough business and once you step into the spotlight you better be able to deal with what comes. I really believe Richard never wanted the spotlight and what comes with being a professioanl athlete. He plays tennis because he loves the art of the game (as evidenced by the style game he plays) but tennis today is much more of a war than art and Richard is just not a warrior, he's an artist. That's not bashing Richard it is just a simple fact that even his most ardent fans should recognize.

AS Vald said it isn't the loss, it's the WAY he lost. And it isn't just the way he lost THIS match, it's the way he lost the majority (not all but the majority) of his matches since the good old days of Hewitt in NYC.

scmom
07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I am disappointed that Richard did not win this match , but I refuse to give up being a fan . I enjoy his tennis game so much when he is "on" - and even though it is a roller coaster ride - his game is so much more entertaining than the baseline power game that seems to be the style of the day . I will continue to watch him and cheer for him as long as he is out there
Puschkin - I am sad to hear you may not be checking in here as much. I enjoy your posts and the insight you have into his game . it won't be the same without you here .

Quetzal
07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
I`m a big Richard`s fun since 2005. I watch almost every game, live on TV or via internet, sometimes only
scoreboard when I`m at work. It`s all because I really enjoy his tennis. Now we have very bad period of time
to watch tennis. In every big tournament we have the same old story, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray.
In top 20 we have players like Berdych, Del Potro, Isner, Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Cilic, Monaco etc. As for me
it`s not a kind of tennis I would like to watch. I prefer players who can show something extra on court.
Gasquet is no.1 on my list, than Nalbandian and players like Federer, Tsonga, Monfils. It was great to see
Richard hitting winners from every part of the court, like in 2005, 2006 and even 2007 (Wimbledon).
Maybe it was thanks to Deblicker or maybe when he was young that was his style of play
(great example Gasquet/Golovin in RG mixed doubles), he was not afraid of losing his match and that is why he
was able to be so agressive. Nowadays he`s so afraid of losing that he is not able to generate the same agressive
level of tennis as it was in the past. I will always support him till the end of his career and I hope to see agressive
Richard again :-) I don`t believe he will play Umag, but if yes I hope he will win this. Good luck ;-)

Jozie
07-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I`m a big Richard`s fun since 2005. I watch almost every game, live on TV or via internet, sometimes only
scoreboard when I`m at work. It`s all because I really enjoy his tennis. Now we have very bad period of time
to watch tennis. In every big tournament we have the same old story, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray.
In top 20 we have players like Berdych, Del Potro, Isner, Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Cilic, Monaco etc. As for me
it`s not a kind of tennis I would like to watch. I prefer players who can show something extra on court.
Gasquet is no.1 on my list, than Nalbandian and players like Federer, Tsonga, Monfils. It was great to see
Richard hitting winners from every part of the court, like in 2005, 2006 and even 2007 (Wimbledon).
Maybe it was thanks to Deblicker or maybe when he was young that was his style of play
(great example Gasquet/Golovin in RG mixed doubles), he was not afraid of losing his match and that is why he
was able to be so agressive. Nowadays he`s so afraid of losing that he is not able to generate the same agressive
level of tennis as it was in the past. I will always support him till the end of his career and I hope to see agressive
Richard again :-) I don`t believe he will play Umag, but if yes I hope he will win this. Good luck ;-)

I am with you on this point. Unfortunately I don't get to see much of Richard on TV or internet, and so rely on the scoreboard which is very frustrating, because I always long to see the beautiful tennis he is capable of playing. Sadly he doesn't make it to many latter stages of majors or many masters, so I miss out so often.
I too will support Richard until the end of his career. I will never give up believing that someday he will surprise us all.

Richard, I wish you would believe in yourself as much as your fans do. You just give up too easily sometimes, yet some of us don't want to give up on you.

Looking forward to the 'Olympics'. Who knows, perhaps he will surprise us fans and France by bringing home a medal.

Hoping for a Djokovic vs Tsonga final. :wavey:

silverwhite
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Nowadays he`s so afraid of losing that he is not able to generate the same agressive
Richard again :-)

Exactly. Just because we criticise him doesn't mean we don't support him :shrug:

juvvi
07-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Exactly. Just because we criticise him doesn't mean we don't support him :shrug:

perhaps you get high on poking his fans, than criticizing him.