Uncle Toni (SERIOUS THREAD) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Uncle Toni (SERIOUS THREAD)

Nr 1 Fan
06-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Why is everyone on here always talking about the Toni mafia and how Toni has big connections and is pulling strings?
What do you guys mean precisely?

I do agree Nadal has already had some luck during his career (draws etc), but do you guys REALLY think Toni influences tournament directors etc? If you do I want evidence, concrete examples.

I want serious responses, no tardism, no haters, no admirerers.

Pirata.
06-10-2012, 06:45 PM

Good luck with that, mate.

Wilanderer
06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Good luck with that, mate.

:lol:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
are you kidding me

they managed to stop a match where rafa was about to lose
beause of a light drizzle that didnt affect anything

THES CHEATS AND LIARS are worse than the offical 9/11 story

gulzhan
06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Toni Nadal is as much a mafia guy as David Ferrer is Pics. It's just MTF's joke. Sort of lame one.

Kiedis
06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
This board is the biggest joke on the internet. I love it :D

Allez
06-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Someone actually takes the Uncle Toni jokes seriously :facepalm:

emotion
06-10-2012, 06:53 PM
are you kidding me

........I have some doubts and suspicions of course, but.... I´m sorta inclined to believe the official 9/11 story

TigerTim
06-10-2012, 06:55 PM
........I have some doubts and suspicions of course, but.... I´m sorta inclined to believe the official 9/11 story

you shouldn't. Trust me. George Bush and his Mafia are almost as bad as Tio Toni and his cloud seeding choppers.

156mphserve
:haha: MTF + Serious = Undefined

Johnny Groove
Don Toni > You.

Nr 1 Fan
06-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Toni Nadal is as much a mafia guy as David Ferrer is Pics. It's just MTF's joke. Sort of lame one.

If it's a "joke" it really, really, really isn't funny and lame.

Jamoz
06-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Serious? :eek: in here?? :help: Now don't be ridiculous darling :aparty:

Nr 1 Fan
06-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Someone actually takes the Uncle Toni jokes seriously :facepalm:

This "jokes" are repeated so often on here, I figured some posters here really are convinced Uncle Toni manipulates things and I was just wondering if they could justify their suspicions.

06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
uncle toni is the mafia

he gets rigged draws

coaches during matches

proabably injects nadal with (legal) drugs whenever there is a rain delay

Orka_n
06-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Regardless of the mafia talk, Toni Nadal is a very unpleasant human being.

Taking his young nephew and drilling him like an animal in tennis, using him as a tool so he could do the things Toni couldn't do himself. Forcing him to play lefty, talking up opponents to give Rafa unhealthy and false respect for them... Toni is not a mob boss, but he does not seem like a nice person. Not even Rafa thinks so.

Roger the Dodger
06-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Taking his young nephew and drilling him like an animal in tennis, using him as a tool so he could do the things Toni couldn't do himself. Forcing him to play lefty, talking up opponents to give Rafa unhealthy and false respect for them... Toni is not a mob boss, but he does not seem like a nice person. Not even Rafa thinks so.

This thread is about proofs.

What proof do you have that Toni drilled Nadal like an animal. Any photo, quotes?

superslam77
toni raised his nephew as a slave beating him over and over, to compensate on his frustrations and failures on the ping pong table. look at my nephew he said, he is the answer. i will teach you ping pong rafa, but i want to be tennis player no?.
no rafa you must play ping pong, topspin and the balls always in. but tio greed the racket is not as small as ping pong. tio toni has magic..tomorrow we visit eufamio.

Singularity

Where is the evidence for any of this?

Toni told Nadal to a play a one handed forehand, and advised him to use his stronger arm (the left one). Was that a bad decision?

Equally, what's wrong with respecting your opponent's ability?

06-10-2012, 07:13 PM
i bet he dresses up in drag like jo

http://dailychuckle.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ee7a8438833014e87c76f33970d-350wi

superslam77
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM

i finally see why he is a friend of ritchie :p

Roger the Dodger
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Who's that girl with Jo? I think I've seen her on TV.

Allez
06-10-2012, 07:18 PM
This "jokes" are repeated so often on here, I figured some posters here really are convinced Uncle Toni manipulates things and I was just wondering if they could justify their suspicions.

:haha: :haha: Uncle Toni knows how the universe works...:lol: There is a non physical precursor to everything you see. Manipulate the non physical stuff and you affect physical reality... Uncle Toni is just good at manipulating the unseen stuff hence the favourable draws, the weather etc :lol:

gaitare
06-10-2012, 07:18 PM
it's not a joke. Toni's cartoonish mafioso look is supposed to lull people into thinking that it's just a cartoonish mafioso look. Toni IS a cold-blooded, revengeful, connected, remorseless thug who will use all his powers to help the monster he created rule the tennis world.

Did you see how brilliant he was when he was "enraged" at the supervisor for letting the play continue? It was all staged. The supervisor was meant to stop the match if things went out of control for Rafa and this is exactly what he did :shrug:

GOAT = Fed
06-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Why is everyone on here always talking about the Toni mafia and how Toni has big connections and is pulling strings?
What do you guys mean precisely?

I do agree Nadal has already had some luck during his career (draws etc), but do you guys REALLY think Toni influences tournament directors etc? If you do I want evidence, concrete examples.

Strong sense of humour :facepalm:

Allez
06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
it's not a joke. Toni's cartoonish mafioso look is supposed to lull people into thinking that it's just a cartoonish mafioso look. Toni IS a cold-blooded, revengeful, connected, remorseless thug who will use all his powers to help the monster he created rule the tennis world.

Did you see how brilliant he was when he was "enraged" at the supervisor for letting the play continue? It was all staged. The supervisor was meant to stop the match if things went out of control for Rafa and this is exactly what he did :shrug:

:lol: This is just too much ;)

evilmindbulgaria
06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
The deranged idiots who talk about uncle Toni think that if they repeat the same BS over, and over, and over again it will become true. Then, they appropriate every single little fact to back up their theory.

Clayturkeytards simply can't deal with the fact that Rafa bitchslapps Federer left and right!

156mphserve
06-10-2012, 07:37 PM

ok then

x = y
x^2 = xy
x^2 - y^2 = xy - y^2
(x+y)(x-y) = y(x-y)
x+y = y
x+x = x
2x = x
2 = 1

QED

evilmindbulgaria
06-10-2012, 07:39 PM
ok then

x = y
x^2 = xy
x^2 - y^2 = xy - y^2
(x+y)(x-y) = y(x-y)
x+y = y
x+x = x
2x = x
2 = 1

QED

BS! On Row#4 going to Row#5 you are dividing each side by (x-y) which assumes x does not equal y since you can't divide by 0. That contradicts your Row#1 :devil:

GOAT = Fed
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM

brb Nadal has 10 slams counting.
brb the joke's on you.

156mphserve
06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
:p:p:p:p:p

Kiedis
06-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I will try to make the most of this thread:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8388/joke2y.jpg

Padding my post stats, of course :D

Pirata.
06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
you shouldn't. Trust me. George Bush and his Mafia are almost as bad as Tio Toni and his cloud seeding choppers.

:haha:

FiBeR
06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
because he is a coach and suddenly decides to take action into things that don't relate to a normal coach, as if he were something more important than that.

Do you see Lendl arguing with the tournament directors? Or putting pressure over organization over the spotlight? but you do see Tony doing little scenes here and there.. like today's

He should stick to doing what normal coaches do. It's like he wants to be there all the time, it is his nephew who plays not himself, and besides, comes along a bit like a bully on Rafa's book too..

Orka_n
06-10-2012, 08:16 PM

What proof do you have that Toni drilled Nadal like an animal. Any photo, quotes?Man, I don't have time for this shit. Read Nadal's book.

Here's (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/02/rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic_n_946561.html#s340800&title=Toni_Nadal) just the first hit I got on google:
In his new book, "Rafa," Rafael Nadal said his uncle used reverse psychology to make him a better player and never let him receiving too much praise.

"You have to train people how you want them to act in real life," Toni told The Huffington Post through an interpreter. "Tennis can be a direct reflection of a person's values. I didn't give him a lot of accolades, but he needed to be disciplined."

Nice guy this Toni.

Other stuff from the article:
Toni: "Djokovic is better than us." he said. "We only have a problem against Djokovic, [but] a problem is when you die."

It's rare to have such candidness from a coach, but the elder Nadal is completely transparent.This is what I mean about the respect thing. Of course it is good to respect an opponent but Toni programmed Nadal to think he is the underdog in every match - which is probably the reason for Rafa's trademark, the will to fight for every point. This produces results for sure but is too tough for the body, look at Nadal's knees.

As I have said before, if Rafa wants to continue winning on the tennis court, he should keep Toni as the coach. If he wants to evolve as a human being, he should fire him.

Kiedis
06-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Man, I don't have time for this shit. Read Nadal's book.

Here's (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/02/rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic_n_946561.html#s340800&title=Toni_Nadal) just the first hit I got on google:

Nice guy this Toni.

This is what I mean about the respect thing. Of course it is good to respect an opponent but Toni programmed Nadal to think he is the underdog in every match - which is probably the reason for Rafa's trademark, the will to fight for every point. This produces results for sure but is too tough for the body, look at Nadal's knees.

As I have said before, if Rafa wants to continue winning on the tennis court, he should keep Toni as the coach. If he wants to evolve as a human being, he should fire him.

Roger has said many times that Mirka is very harsh on him often. What a bitch this cow!

Maybe this young sport men need somebody who helps them to stay grounded among many praises. Do you feel sorry for Nadal?

GOAT = Fed
06-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Man, I don't have time for this shit. Read Nadal's book.

Nice guy this Toni.

This is what I mean about the respect thing. Of course it is good to respect an opponent but Toni programmed Nadal to think he is the underdog in every match - which is probably the reason for Rafa's trademark, the will to fight for every point. This produces results for sure but is too tough for the body, look at Nadal's knees.

What is this, I don't even.... :facepalm:

Nr 1 Fan
06-10-2012, 09:39 PM
BS! On Row#4 going to Row#5 you are dividing each side by (x-y) which assumes x does not equal y since you can't divide by 0. That contradicts your Row#1 :devil:

Haha :D You are right! Great stuff

Nr 1 Fan
06-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Ok, just setting some things straight: I didn't actually believe Tony is mafia, just trying to find out if he really is such a bad person (apart from the fact that he is a bad loser and fakes humility), cause a lot of people seem to hate him pretty hard.

And if this is the kind of humour Around here, I guess I still have to get used to it,'since I am not Around for that long.

Kiedis
06-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Ok, just setting some things straight: I didn't actually believe Tony is mafia, just trying to find out if he really is such a bad person (apart from the fact that he is a bad loser and fakes humility), cause a lot of people seem to hate him pretty hard.

And if this is the kind of humour Around here, I guess I still have to get used to it,'since I am not Around for that long.

Fedtards and Nadal haters aren't all the people, mate. Many of us appreciate uncle Toni. You and the rest sure would want to be half as inteligent as him and most players paid fortunes for tio Tony coached them. Jealousy, oh, jealousy.

fast_clay
06-10-2012, 10:36 PM
uncle toni needs to stop rigging draws and engineering the weather

Orka_n
06-10-2012, 11:03 PM
What is this, I don't even.... :facepalm:Contribute something to this forum for once in your life, attention whore.

Roger has said many times that Mirka is very harsh on him often. What a bitch this cow!Ok. :shrug:

Maybe this young sport men need somebody who helps them to stay grounded among many praises. Do you feel sorry for Nadal?Yes, I imagine Nadal at 13 years old really needed somone to "help him stay grounded". I actually do feel sorry for him a bit.

abraxas21
06-10-2012, 11:21 PM
uncle toni needs to stop rigging draws and engineering the weather

Rafa, with barely 7 years of age, had accepted to cover the absence of a partner and make his debut in official competitions against a rival who was 14, twice his age. Rafa believed blindly that uncle Toni had magical powers. And Toni, anticipating a tough defeat, and realizing that the sky was cloudy, found the perfect formula to take the pressure away from his nephew. "Rafael - he told him-, if I see that he's beating you badly, do not worry, for I'll make it rain and the match will be stopped". "Really? Can you bring the rain?", asked Rafael. The big guy began winning 3-0 and Rafa, who was already a fighter, discounted to 3-2, till the point that the rain fell inevitably and Toni stopped the match. Then Rafa came in silence and told him quietly: "Toni, you can stop the rain anytime now, I think I can beat this guy!".

http://www.lagaceta.com.ar/nota/495214/Deportes/NADAL-responde-jugando.html

Mjau!
06-10-2012, 11:25 PM
:lol:

MaratandMilos
06-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Uncle Toni got Rafa out of there in the nick of time today just as he was about to complete the collapse. I'll give him credit...he's great at what he does.

MaxPower
06-10-2012, 11:50 PM

Yes that captures it perfectly. Toni is the biggest villain in tennis. Just look those quotes above. Who does that to a poor little child? Only a monster creating a monster

Nadal also seems a bit behind brain-wise. I think Toni forced Nadal into living and thinking tennis almost every wake hour and his mental and personal development lagged slightly behind as a result.

Proof is his lack of learning a simple language like English despite having to talk and do press conferences in english for all these years now. Meanwhile Federer and Djokovic stuns crowds all over the world with their language skills.

I think Toni brainwashed Nadal badly and contributed to his very strange ticks like buttpicking and also contributed to lower intelligence than Nadal could have had otherwise. He practically created a tennis-bot.

Toni can be compared to an evil scientist experimenting on innocent child to create a tennis beast. The mafia thing only came later when Toni already had all those millions he needs to bribe people

TBkeeper
06-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Yes that captures it perfectly. Toni is the biggest villain in tennis. Just look those quotes above. Who does that to a poor little child? Only a monster creating a monster

Nadal also seems a bit behind brain-wise. I think Toni forced Nadal into living and thinking tennis almost every wake hour and his mental and personal development lagged slightly behind as a result.

Proof is his lack of learning a simple language like English despite having to talk and do press conferences in english for all these years now. Meanwhile Federer and Djokovic stuns crowds all over the world with their language skills.

I think Toni brainwashed Nadal badly and contributed to his very strange ticks like buttpicking and also contributed to lower intelligence than Nadal could have had otherwise. He practically created a tennis-bot.

Toni can be compared to an evil scientist experimenting on innocent child to create a tennis beast. The mafia thing only came later when Toni already had all those millions he needs to bribe people

:worship: a good one
ten points from me :D :D

Kiedis
06-11-2012, 12:03 AM
^^^ lol, so he is untalented and retarded too but the alleged GOAT is still his turkey. This Toni isn't good, is a true genius :lol:

Rafa speaks a good Spanish, the third language in the world and a good catalan too. He struggle with English like most of the Spaniards do because our education system provides too little attention to foreign languages unfortunately and because all his circle is full of Spanish speakers. American or British fails often to speak well a second language too for the same reasons. I supposse then they are all a bit retarded while Swiss, who mostly speaks at least 3 languages are all geniuses :facepalm:

Of course, Roger did not start playing tennis until age 18. He did not play when he was a kid. He was too busy reading Dostoievski and Kafka. We all know that. How many university degrees has he today?

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-11-2012, 04:52 AM
uncle Toni Is The Best And Rafa Is The Best And The Forum Sucks Dammn Them I Am Going To Revenge

Chris Kuerten
06-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Toni can be compared to an evil scientist experimenting on innocent child to create a tennis beast. The mafia thing only came later when Toni already had all those millions he needs to bribe peopleCompletely agree with these posts.

ssin
06-11-2012, 09:32 AM
uncle Toni Is The Best And Rafa Is The Best And The Forum Sucks Dammn Them I Am Going To Revenge

:hearts:

if Rafa wins at least I'll be happy knowing it means so much to this sweet little girl. But I will still root for Novak. :devil:

gulzhan
06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I've watched Toni Nadal in the players hotel at Monte Carlo this year for quite a long time. First morning, at breakfast, he sat less than a meter from me, talked to the coach of Ferrer, I didn't understand a word unfortunately but I don't need to hear what a person says to make my opinion about a person. Second time, he sat alone, a little further, said few words to some people who walked by or approached him.

I was very surprised Toni is such a talkative person :lol: He talked to that guy for 40 minutes, non-stop. He is very articulate, very charismatic. He makes impression of a very intelligent person, I would say even intellectual. He had a book on the table both times, fiction book that looked like a serious literature. He also made an impression of a very kind person. He smiles a lot. He noticed me watching him and smiled back which was very nice.

I spoke to a lady from Great Britain, she met Toni in Queens, she is a tennis coach for special need children. She said Toni is a wonderful person!

I also saw Rafa there. He stopped by his uncle, told him something quickly and then went further for breakfast. He left two heavy bags with rackets by the entry of the restaurant. After the breakfast, Rafa came back and said something real short to Toni, I had a feeling he was a little irritated by Toni still sitting there and chatting because Toni jumped, said bye to that guy (sorry but forgot his name) and run after Rafa. He reminded me my mom I must admit. You know, as when she sits with some grannies on the bench talking about all their little things while I am waiting for her somewhere.

In summary: uncle Toni is a great person and probably not a bad coach since he managed to raise such a great tennis player. No doubt that Rafa respects him but he has grown up into a very strong and independent young man. He acts now as he is talking care of his uncle, not the other way around :lol:

I also watched Rafa's practice at both MC and RG. There both Rafa and Toni were all business from the first minute until the end.

Rafa was very nice to tennis fans who were waiting for him to finish his work-out and to give some autographs, especially to the kids.

The BS that was posted here is such an unreasonable hatred that could be explained by a very young age only. For mature persons such posts can not be excused. I feel sorry for their parents. Or kids :tape: if they have ones.

Kiedis
06-11-2012, 01:37 PM
^^ Please, don't scold the children or they will mourn and scream all day

Leo
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
because he is a coach and suddenly decides to take action into things that don't relate to a normal coach, as if he were something more important than that.

Do you see Lendl arguing with the tournament directors? Or putting pressure over organization over the spotlight? but you do see Tony doing little scenes here and there.. like today's

He should stick to doing what normal coaches do. It's like he wants to be there all the time, it is his nephew who plays not himself, and besides, comes along a bit like a bully on Rafa's book too..

From my understanding, it's pretty much this. Not that Toni is mafia but he is overly present for a coach. He tries to influence officials and ridicules decisions made by officials and tournament directors. At the end of the day, Nadal is such a name and a star that cowering, ball-less officials will stop and listen (same when Fed whines, not Djokovic). This match is an example. We all saw Toni mutter to the French guys after the second delay as if it was ridiculous that they continue play in the rain. He tries to get inside their heads. It's reminiscent of the "bullying" that both Capriati and Roddick would do in matches with line calls - over-argue calls that were obviously correct as to try to sway the ump and linespeople to side with them on future close calls.

Hey Toni, check out what Sharapova and Li played through for an hour and a half in the Rome final. When they stopped prior to the final set tiebreak? Was because it actually started raining too hard to play in.

Allez
06-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Uncle Toni is a legend. Great for the sport :yeah: When Rafa is done, I hope the LTA are wise enough to hire him. He would do wonders for British tennis. For now I hope Rafa continues to give him some English lessons. 5 years is more than enough time for him to become fluent in the language. No pression.

Mountaindewslave
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
are you kidding me

drizzling for hours = extremely damp clay conditions which make it so that tennis can't be played properly. clay courts invite the use of heavy spin on balls, not punish, and by the 3rd/4th sets the balls were dropping incredibly low and spin was useless. besides safety there is a universal rule not to play on a fairly wet clay court because of this, no strings pulled, just common sense

Mountaindewslave
06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
it is a bit exaggeration though, like haters just fucking around haha, any excuse to bring Nadal down :angel:

born_on_clay
06-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Toni Nadal is the best coach in the world

GOAT = Fed
06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Toni Nadal is the best coach in the world

Lmao I was like lmao.

Shinoj
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
To be Honest, i do not know what to make out of Nadal's relationship with Toni. Its all good in terms of the Grand Slams that he has won. But what about his personality. It looks hindered. Now i know why does he look so insecure once the Match is over.

Excerpts from his Auto Bio.

Rafael Nadal: Uncle Toni terrified me but without him I’d be nothing
In the third part of our exclusive serialisation of his autobiography Rafael Nadal talks about the complex, tense relationship with his coach in our final exclusive extract from his autobiography

My uncle Toni was the resident coach at the tennis club in our home town, Manacor. The clubhouse was what you’d expect in a town of barely 40,000 people: medium-sized, dominated by a restaurant, with a terrace overhanging the clay courts.
One day I joined in with a group of half a dozen children Toni was teaching. I was already crazy about football, playing on the streets with my friends every spare moment my parents let me .
I liked being part of a team and Toni says that at first I found tennis boring. But learning in a group helped, and it’s what made possible everything that followed. If it had just been me and my uncle, it would have been too suffocating. It wasn’t until I was 13, when I knew my future was in tennis, that he began training me on my own.
Toni was tough on me right from the start, tougher than on the other children. He demanded a lot of me, pressured me hard. He’d use rough language, shout a lot, he’d frighten me — especially when the other boys didn’t turn up and it was just the two of us. If I saw I’d be alone with him when I arrived for training, I’d get a sinking feeling in my stomach.
My friend Miguel Angel Munar reminds me sometimes how Toni, if he saw my head was wandering, would belt the ball hard at me, not to hit me, but to scare me, to startle me to attention.

It was always me, too, who he got to pick up the balls, or more balls than the others, at the end of the training session; and it was me who had to sweep the courts when we were done for the day. Anyone who might have expected any favouritism was mistaken.
Quite the opposite. Miguel Angel says Toni bluntly discriminated against me, knowing he could not have got away with it with him and the other boys but with me he could, because I was his nephew.
My mother remembers that, as a small child, sometimes I’d come home from training crying. She’d try to get me to tell her what the matter was, but I preferred to keep quiet.
Once I confessed to her that Toni had a habit of calling me a “mummy’s boy”, which pained her, but I begged her not to say anything to Toni, because that would only have made matters worse.
Toni never let up. Once I started playing competitive games, aged seven, it got tougher. One very hot day I went to a match without my bottle of water. I’d left it at home.
He could have gone and bought me one, but he didn’t. So that I’d learn to take responsibility, he said. Why didn’t I rebel? Because I enjoyed tennis, and enjoyed it all the more once I started winning, and because I was an obedient and docile child. My mother says I was too easy to manipulate.
Maybe, but if I hadn’t loved playing the game, I wouldn’t have put up with my uncle. And I loved him too, as I still do and always will. I trusted him, and so I knew deep down that he was doing what he thought was best for me.
I trusted him so implicitly when I was little that I even came to believe he had supernatural powers. It wasn’t till I was nine years old that I stopped thinking he was a magician capable, among other things, of making himself invisible.
During family get-togethers my father and grandfather would play along with him on this, pretending to me that they couldn’t see him. So I came to believe that I could see him but other people couldn’t.
So there was fun in my relationship with Toni, even if the prevailing mood when we trained was stony and severe.
And we had plenty of success. If he hadn’t made me play without water that day, if he hadn’t singled me out for especially harsh treatment when I was in that group of little kids learning the game, if I hadn’t cried as I did at the injustice and abuse he heaped on me, maybe I would not be the player I am today.
He always stressed the importance of endurance: “Endure, put up with whatever comes your way, learn to overcome weakness and pain, push yourself to breaking point but never cave in. If you don’t learn that lesson, you’ll never succeed as an elite athlete.” He did a lot to build that fighting character people say they see in me on court.
There’s a fine balance in the tension that my uncle’s presence in my life creates. Usually, as the record shows, it’s been a positive, creative tension.
Sometimes he doesn’t measure his words well and the effect is to sour, rather than to enhance, my mood, which in turn impacts my game.
A trivial example of the sort of thing I have to put up with would be this: we are at a hotel somewhere in the world and we agree to meet downstairs in the car at a certain time to go to training. He arrives 15 minutes late, but I don’t say anything. But the next time I arrive 15 minutes late for an appointment, he complains that we can’t carry on this way.
Another example. During a match I’ll hear him say, “Play aggressive!” before a return of serve . I’ll go for it, the ball will go out, and then he’ll say, “Now wasn’t the moment”.
But it was the moment; it just happened that I messed up the shot. If the ball had gone in, he’d have said, “Perfect!” The atmosphere in our team is tenser when Toni’s around than when he’s not.
What I never lose sight of is that, on balance, that tension benefits my game. Nor do I forget that he wouldn’t generate such a response in me, be it for good or for bad, if I didn’t feel a tremendous respect for him.
When I am hard on him, it’s because I believe he asks for it.
But one thing must be clear: if we have fights, they are to be taken in the context of a mutual trust and a deep affection built up over many years of being together.
Everything I have achieved in the game of tennis, all the opportunities I have had, are thanks to him. I’m especially grateful to him for having placed so much emphasis from the very beginning on making sure I kept my feet on the ground and never became complacent.
While Toni’s refusal to let me off the hook has its value, in that he pushes me always to improve and do better, it can also be bad because he creates insecurity.
I often feel this way, especially in the early rounds of a tournament, and the truth is that while he deserves credit for so many good things in my career, he also deserves blame for me being more insecure than I ought to be.
The point is to hold on to the lessons I’ve absorbed from Toni but to impose my own judgment more, striving to find the right balance between humility and overconfidence.
Sure, you must always respect your rival, always consider the possibility that he might beat you, always play against the player ranked 500 in the world as if he were ranked No 1 or 2. Toni has helped me to have this very clear in my mind, maybe too clear.
What I am trying to teach myself now is to tilt the balance the other way, to exercise more autonomy over my life and disagree more openly with him. This may be a consequence, in part, of me seeing that Toni has his doubts and insecurities too; that he contradicts himself often; that he is not the all-knowing magician of my childhood.

Sophocles
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I was very surprised Toni is such a talkative person :lol: He talked to that guy for 40 minutes, non-stop. He is very articulate, very charismatic. He makes impression of a very intelligent person, I would say even intellectual. He had a book on the table both times, fiction book that looked like a serious literature. He also made an impression of a very kind person. He smiles a lot. He noticed me watching him and smiled back which was very nice.

You gleaned all this from a conversation in a language you didn't understand? You're clearly brighter than the average Rafatard.

Sophocles
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM

GOAT post.

Sophocles
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Agreed, although I suspect Nadal was always rather backward & Don Toni simply exploited this.

Shinoj
06-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Jee,Which kid would believe in Magicians and stuff at Age 7 or 8. I didnt. But i rather became intelligent very early in Life. So no comparison there.

Ben.
06-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Agreed, although I suspect Nadal was always rather backward & Don Toni simply exploited this.

You would think you would be used to Nadal winning by now :lol: Yet you still get so very frustrated.

Jee,Which kid would believe in Magicians and stuff at Age 7 or 8. I didnt. But i rather became intelligent very early in Life. So no comparison there.

You did? What's gone wrong since then?

Sophocles
06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
You would think you would be used to Nadal winning by now :lol: Yet you still get so very frustrated.

It was a rude awakening after a blissful 10-month break. But thankfully the next one is just around the corner.

sanshisan
06-12-2012, 11:30 AM
are you kidding me

Thank you for saying that. I noticed the referee came out and spoke with Rafa (who was throwing fits and tennis balls), about whether to stop the match but NOT with Novak. As if Novak wasn't even there.

Shinoj
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM

You did? What's gone wrong since then?

:D

I maintained that Peak Level Man. It is tough work but believe me its achievable.