ATP Queen's Q2: Korolev beats Baker 6-4 7-6 (5) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Queen's Q2: Korolev beats Baker 6-4 7-6 (5)

CooCooCachoo
06-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Baker not ready for the grass, it seems.

Korolev has been rubbish for months now. Hopefully he is turning things around.

TigerTim
06-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Queens and the LTA :smash:

Bakers needs no Quali

dencod16
06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I love Korolev but he lost passion when he fell down the rankings. He admitted it.

Blue Heart24
06-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Horrendous loss for Brian,wonder how well can he actually do on grass.

Smoke944
06-09-2012, 04:21 PM
First grass court match in 7 years, I think.

Li Ching Yuen
06-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Given the quality of some of the match-ups in the QD, it's a shame that these two got paired up. Interesting momentum for Korolev to remember that he can play tennis too.

J99
06-09-2012, 04:22 PM
A bit of a shocker, I thought Baker was in the MD for sure, Korolev has been good, but not for a long time, it seems on this day he was.

Johnny Groove
06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Well this sucks.

Hypnotize
06-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Great to see Korolev win a match. When he's on, he's fantastic to watch.

kiriri***
06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Horrendous loss for Brian,wonder how well can he actually do on grass.

We don't know how about his grass:confused: Tour 1 win 1 loss, CH 2 win 2 loss.

Bad loss for Brian:o Probably he has overplayed at Nice and RG, so he was little tired.
Good win for Korolev:D

BroTree123
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Baker should retire after this pathetic loss :stupid:

dencod16
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
People saying that Brian deserved a wildcard is a bit overtly too much. He has done well on clay, but grass is questionable. unlucky to draw Korolev though. Well i think the acceptance list of the event was before Nice so Baker was ranked below 200.

J99
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
We don't know how about his grass:confused: Tour 1 win 1 loss, CH 2 win 2 loss.

Bad loss for Brian:o Probably he has overplayed at Nice and RG, so he was little tired.
Good win for Korolev:D

Not counting qualie matches, before today he was 6-5 on it, but hasn't played a match on it since 05'.

Filo V.
06-09-2012, 05:16 PM
First match on grass in so long, this result isn't a terrible one. I don't think Brian's game translates to grass as well as it does clay and hardcourt. When Korolev is on, he's a good player with the power to outhit someone with the game Baker has, so it's not too bad a loss. Maybe Zhenya will start making things happen again.

emotion
06-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Korolev!!!! good to see a decent result at last

CooCooCachoo
06-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Baker got a WC :p Into qualies, but still.

The LTA was right not to give him a MD WC in my opinion. His RG wasn't good enough to warrant more, and Nice isn't too prominently on the radar.

In any case, this match shows how a MD WC wouldn't have been right.

tuek
06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I was at this match; it was pretty close, with quite a few errors from both, but Korolev was generally a little more solid. Very windy conditions and Baker didn't look anywhere near his form from the last weeks; you could tell he was not yet comfortable on the grass. He wasn't moving that great and his return game was not clicking at all; in fact it was Korolev who hit more blistering return winners, and who was generally hitting with much more pace. After some bad luck with a couple of really dodgy line calls on important points, Baker went down a break 2-4 in the second set. But then he started playing much more aggressively and immediately leveled to 4-4, and from there the match went on serve. The tiebreak was close and of good quality. I thought Baker might take it as he really was starting to play much better, but at *5-6 match point, after a great serve and aggressive approach, he was easily in a position to win the point at the net, only to watch Korolev's shot hit the net cord for a winner - unbelievable bad luck for Baker, as he would have put that one away easily.

Korolev was generally better for the first two sets, but had it gone to a third, I think Baker might have pulled through after a slow start. Good from Korolev, though - glad to see him get a couple of wins, hope he makes it into the main draw.

There were like 20 people max watching - must have felt weird coming from playing on Chatrier a week ago.

CooCooCachoo
06-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks tuek. Very happy to hear Korolev played reasonably well.

Baker has time to adjust to the grass. It will be interesting to see what the AELTC decides with respect to a WC. This result certainly won't help his case.

tuek
06-11-2012, 11:29 AM
It's too bad Baker didn't get into Nottingham ... will he play Eastbourne qualies?

I hope he gets the Wimbledon WC. Is it still customary for them to give one to an American player? If so, Baker should get it.

Good result that Korolev beat Wentraub and is into the main draw. He's scheduled to play Roger-Vasselin today, but doubt it will get done given the weather. Hopefully he gets through that one - Korolev vs Roddick R2 could be a very entertaining prospect!

J99
06-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Baker got a WC :p Into qualies, but still.

The LTA was right not to give him a MD WC in my opinion. His RG wasn't good enough to warrant more, and Nice isn't too prominently on the radar.

In any case, this match shows how a MD WC wouldn't have been right.

Um ok, negative much, he played quite well at RG taking out Malisse and giving Simon all he could handle, so making a final isn't good enough for you either considering the players he beat there.

CooCooCachoo
06-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Um ok, negative much, he played quite well at RG taking out Malisse and giving Simon all he could handle, so making a final isn't good enough for you either considering the players he beat there.

I think the story is great, and Baker did really well. But only with more success at RG would Brian have received a lot of attention in the English press. A final in a warm-up tournament doesn't get you that many headlines.

I am not at all downplaying Baker's achievements. I am much impressed and think it makes for a great story. But that doesn't mean that he should just be getting WCs into all tournaments. This remains a British event and it is only logical that the organizers support British players, on the logical assumption that the crowd would prefer seeing Brits over someone that they probably haven't heard of.