Worst Federer Loss? Final FO 08' or Semi Final FO 12' [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Worst Federer Loss? Final FO 08' or Semi Final FO 12'

jaymon112
06-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Thoughts?

Topspindoctor
06-09-2012, 05:45 AM
His worst ever GS loss was USO 2009 final. What a monstrous choke. Put Jana Novotna to shame and that's saying a lot :o

Sri
06-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Obviously the RG final in 2008. Why?

* The scoreline
* The opponent
* The implications on the rest of the season and possibly career

/end-thread

Houstonko
06-09-2012, 10:11 AM
2008 for sure. Federer was in prime and hitting far better than this, Nadal was in prime. You can tell he won't lose no.1 easily if he had fire, no fire contributed to early losses in those Masters.

Benny_Maths
06-09-2012, 11:46 AM
His worst ever GS loss was USO 2009 final.

Have to agree there. What a clown loss.

Nr 1 Fan
06-09-2012, 11:53 AM
His worst ever GS loss was USO 2009 final. What a monstrous choke. Put Jana Novotna to shame and that's saying a lot :o

Del Potro gets nowhere near enough credit for that match on this forum. Beating his worst match up (who is also the Goat) on tour in his first slam final at the age of 20 is an impressive thing to do.

That said, think Federer was too confident before this match.

Nr 1 Fan
06-09-2012, 11:55 AM
His two losses in two weeks against Canas on hardcourt were pretty bad.

Chirag
06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
agreed that one got away :sad:

zdravkelja
06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
FO 08 obviously. That USO 09 was more like a match he should have won.

TigerTim
06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I remember pre 208 final he was saying how he was "close to rafa" :lol:, just like Duck was "close to Rodger" at the AO in 2007 :lol:. We know how those both ended, straight sets thrashings.

FlameOn
06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Are you kidding?? '08 no comparison.

Haelfix
06-09-2012, 12:02 PM
2008 for sure. Federer was in prime and hitting far better than this, Nadal was in prime. You can tell he won't lose no.1 easily if he had fire, no fire contributed to early losses in those Masters.

Umm, he was past his prime and struggling with mono. He had a worst clay court season than this year and was bad at the FO pretty much throughout.

To be fair I actually thought he played better in the final, but was just shut out by a superior clay courter at his best.

There were similar conditions actually, and Fed has never dealt with slow dirt particularly well.

This loss was worse in the sense that Novak played poorly as well.

GSMnadal
06-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I have a slight feeling the AO 09 loss hurt him as well. Just a hunch.

Benny_Maths
06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I remember pre 208 final he was saying how he was "close to rafa" :lol:, just like Duck was "close to Rodger" at the AO in 2007 :lol:. We know how those both ended, straight sets thrashings.

Fed said he 'figured out Nadal' in after the 2007 Hamburg final. I don't remember seeing any comment like that by him in 2008.

Burrow
06-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Federer certainly wasn't in his prime. Many said that Federer was losing it in 2007, after winning 3 slams. There was a difference between Federer of 2007 and 2006 but only slightly so. However, there was an alarming difference between Federer of 2008 and 2006.

1 Slam, 0 Masters Series (only 2 runner-up finishes) and 4 titles overall does not seem like a stellar year to me.

Chris Kuerten
06-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Obviously the loss of yesterday, that was one of the most pathetic efforts I've ever seen.

Losing to Nadal is standard stuff, the scoreline is irrelevant.

AntiTennis
06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
2008 of course, the semi of 2012 was not thaaaaat bad, he got a lot of chances in the second set, broke 3 times but he served poorly, if he had won that set probably the match would be different, but well was not the case.

Yolita
06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Losing to Nadal in Roland Garros is expected. Even being bageled. Even if it's in the final.

Yesterday's loss was much worse for several reasons: his win at this venue last year was hyped out of all proportion and was used to claim that Roger "troubled" Novak, even if it was only 1 win among several losses. After his USO defeat to Nole, Roger had such a fantastic run that pundits began the overhyping again: JesusFed was back, this was as good as 2006, they started counting points from September last year and dreaming about Roger getting the #1 again. Just 2 days ago Roger was overhyped (again) for his mental strength after coming back from 2 sets to love down against Delpo. The match against Novak yesterday silenced in one go all those narratives. It also added 960 points to Nole's advantage over Roger, making the latter's quest for #1 harder.

Having said that, I still think that the 2009 loss to Delpo was worse in terms of what it really meant: one grand slam trophy less. The defeat yesterday was a very bad loss for the media, because it was the media the one that distorted reality. It didn't really mean much intrinsically because Roger was never a contender for Roland Garros. It was also important in terms of the mental battle between Roger and Nole. But that battle was won by Nole a long time ago, in my opinion. Yesterday's match just clinched it.

Mark Lenders
06-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Having said that, I still think that the 2009 loss to Delpo was worse in terms of what it really meant: one grand slam trophy less.

I'm pretty sure the loss to Nadal also meant one Grand Slam trophy less...

Del Potro gets nowhere near enough credit for that match on this forum. Beating his worst match up (who is also the Goat) on tour in his first slam final at the age of 20 is an impressive thing to do.

That said, think Federer was too confident before this match.

True that. I do admit he was a bit lucky in that final, which Federer easily could have taken if only a few big points had gone the other way. I wouldn't even mind people saying that if only they were coherent enough to admit that Federer was also quite fortunate a few months earlier in their FO semifinal, where he could also easily have lost. Things evened themselves out in the end for sure.

Nole Rules
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Poor Delpo, never gets credit for his Slam win.

Yolita
06-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the loss to Nadal also meant one Grand Slam trophy less...
Of course it did...But it was a really long shot. Rafa was the overwhelming favourite in that match... Not so with the 2009 USO, where Roger was the ovewhelming favourite, having won the title so many times, and playing a 20-year-old first-time finalist...

Things evened themselves out in the end for sure.
They usually do. :)

UsD.AnDreS
06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
People talking exclusively about Fed's choking at USO 2009 while DelPo gave away the third set with a DF. Good stuff.

NID
06-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Ao09 and uso11 were worse

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VerticalSports.Com App

Jimnik
06-09-2012, 11:47 PM
A Federer loss is never the worst.

r3d_d3v1l_
06-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Really, who was expecting a win from Federer?

After losing sets to Ungur, Mahut and Michael J Fox and almost losing to one legged Del Potro, the outcome of the semifinals was not surprising.

Federer wasn´t at his best, period.

viruzzz
06-10-2012, 12:14 AM

True. Poor Roger.
He was playing pretty well, he made amazing points during that tournament (even in the final).
I think if he plays that tibreak 30 times, he would win 29 of them.

Mark Lenders
06-10-2012, 12:25 AM
True. Poor Roger.
He was playing pretty well, he made amazing points during that tournament (even in the final).
I think if he plays that tibreak 30 times, he would win 29 of them.

28 out of 30 you mean? Because he lost two tiebreaks in that final, both very similar.

And yes, he made some amazing points but he wasn't alone on court. His opponent made some amazing shots too and fully deserved the win there.

viruzzz
06-10-2012, 12:54 AM
28 out of 30 you mean? Because he lost two tiebreaks in that final, both very similar.

And yes, he made some amazing points but he wasn't alone on court. His opponent made some amazing shots too and fully deserved the win there.

For me, both tiebreaks were really different.
And I think Fed played way better than Delpo that match.

So... Whatever you're gonna say, or whatever I'm gonna say, we would never agree.

So, I ask, why did you answer a question nobody asked? You know we wont agree...

SheepleBuster
06-10-2012, 01:04 AM
The first Wimbledon Loss to Rafa was the worst. Get real. That was the one he played like a mug for 2 sets and let it get away. Then he started coming back even though no playing his best because Rafa got nervous in tie-breaks. The fact that Roger just could not break Rafa's serve was so bad.

tealeaves
06-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Is OP serious :o? 2008 Final is just flipping humiliating. A bagel. 4 games.

Time Violation
06-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Is OP serious :o? 2008 Final is just flipping humiliating. A bagel. 4 games.

Bagel or not, doesn't change anything, he was never going to win at RG vs Rafa, he said that much himself. I vote for USO 2009 as well :)

guga2120
06-10-2012, 02:11 AM
The answer is obvious. In both mathces he looked like a bad wta player shanking every other shot.

leng jai
06-10-2012, 02:12 AM
The 2008 final was just degrading for Rogi but at least it was against Rafito.

The SF this year was just pure garbage the whole time against a guy he likes playing. Embarrassing second set and just terrible handling of the conditions.

Mark Lenders
06-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Some people seriously think that a 5-set loss in the USO final against a guy who had just triple 6-2'd Rafa the day before is the worst Slam loss of Federer's career :facepalm:?

Topspindoctor
06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Some people seriously think that a 5-set loss in the USO final against a guy who had just triple 6-2'd Rafa the day before is the worst Slam loss of Federer's career :facepalm:?

It is if you actually watched the match and weren't such a vicious Del Potrotard.

Nadal had 1cm abdominal tear in that match, he couldn't serve AT ALL (especially his trademark slider out wide). Let's see healthy Nadal vs injured Del Potro, the result won't be pretty.

Olderer probably had the worst choke of his career, he was cruising set and break up and dominating this mindless ballbasher like he should in every match, then inexplicably choked. Serving like a girl with 10DF and 50%FS in. Pathetic. I don't even like Fedmug but that match was painful to watch. Funny thing is, Del-Mugtro was cramping in the 5th set. If Olderer managed to extend the match he'd outlast him again.

bouncer7
06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
For his mentality the worst is AO '09 then RG '12.

Mark Lenders
06-10-2012, 02:40 AM
It is if you actually watched the match and weren't such a vicious Del Potrotard.

Nadal had 1cm abdominal tear in that match, he couldn't serve AT ALL (especially his trademark slider out wide). Let's see healthy Nadal vs injured Del Potro, the result won't be pretty.

Olderer probably had the worst choke of his career, he was cruising set and break up and dominating this mindless ballbasher like he should in every match, then inexplicably choked. Serving like a girl with 10DF and 50%FS in. Pathetic. I don't even like Fedmug but that match was painful to watch.

Rafa was injured, but even injured Rafa isn't easy to beat, let alone 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. I agree the result is in part due to Rafa's injuries, but beating Rafa like that is always a great feat; even injured Rafa is very tough to beat, which is why no one beat him before the semis. And Del Potro couldn't serve either in last year's DC match in Spain either, he was using serve just to put the ball in play and still pushed Rafa.

I do admit Del Potro was a bit lucky in the final and Federer failed to bring his best tennis in crucial points. Will you be honest enough to admit though that Federer got equally lucky months earlier at Roland Garros semifinal, when he didn't generate a single break point in three sets and only narrowly escaped a three set defeat? Things evened out in the end.

Momentum changes in tennis all the time; Federer was crushing Del Potro, but Juan took an opening when Federer was trying to serve out the set and momentum shifted completely, happens all the time.

Topspindoctor
06-10-2012, 02:45 AM
I do admit Del Potro was a bit lucky in the final and Federer failed to bring his best tennis in crucial points. Will you be honest enough to admit though that Federer got equally lucky months earlier at Roland Garros semifinal, when he didn't generate a single break point in three sets and only narrowly escaped a three set defeat? Things evened out in the end.

I won't agree because fitness is part of the sport. If Delpo had sufficient fitness, he'd have won that match. He got outlasted, simple as that. Olderer was getting outplayed, I'll give you that. But you need to sustain high level of tennis over several sets. Delpo failed to do it and lost. There was no luck involved. He got tired, his level came down. He lost.

Mark Lenders
06-10-2012, 02:52 AM
I won't agree because fitness is part of the sport. If Delpo had sufficient fitness, he'd have won that match. He got outlasted, simple as that. Olderer was getting outplayed, I'll give you that. But you need to sustain high level of tennis over several sets. Delpo failed to do it and lost. There was no luck involved. He got tired, his level came down. He lost.

He could have easily won in three. Federer didn't create a single break point in the first three sets. Delpo won 1st and 3rd and choked chance after chance to break Fed's serve in the second, before losing in a tiebreak.

Yes, he got outlasted, but he could also have won in 3. I don't see how he was any more lucky in USO than Federer was in Paris.

By your logic, Federer was unable to sustain his initial level in USO final. No luck involved, right?

Edda
06-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Definitely FO 2012. Federer played absolutely awful.

Edda
06-10-2012, 03:26 AM
USO 2009 was pretty bad, too-on both sides. It was, overall, the most annoying match I ever watched.

Arakasi
06-10-2012, 04:39 AM
For the people arguing whether Federer choked in USO '09 final or not, just consider these two statistics:

1. Before that match Federer tiebreak record in GS finals was 18-3. He'd consistenly been a mental giant in tiebreaks during GS finals for his whole career and all three losses he suffered were to his mental nemesis Nadal.

In that final he lost not one but two tiebreaks. Nearly as many as he'd lost in his entire career to that point. Moreover, it was to a guy who'd he'd never lost to and mentally dominated in their previous H2H.

2. Federer hit more double faults (11) in that one match than he has in any other hardcourt match he's ever played. In fact he made as many double faults in that one match as he did in the entirety of his title runs in Wimbledon in both '06 and '07 combined!

Even ignoring the leads he had in the match etc. just this two stats alone tell you the story of his epic choke in that match.

tripwires
06-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Trust the clowns here to talk about USO2009 when it isn't even the subject of the OP's intended discussion.

Also, this thread is stupid because nothing can be worse than getting bagelled in a grand slam final, not even that shit SF he played.

Allez
06-10-2012, 10:30 AM

True. Rafa wanted to send a message. That final is as legendary for its lopsidedness as their Wimbledon final a few weeks later is for the quality of play and the drama with the fading light etc. Good old days....sighs.

born_on_clay
06-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Final Loss to Nadal (2008)

nid

next