Something was bothering Federer at the French Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Something was bothering Federer at the French Open?

mikeqq
06-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Hi all,

Given Federer's fairly poor form at this year's French Open, I couldn't help thinking something was bothering him. Maybe some nagging injuries etc.... Not enough to make him withdraw, but is enough to slow his game down, just like at around the same time in 2010.

I don't think it's because he's getting older, especially comparing with his form in USO 2011 and AO 2012, which isn't that long ago.

US 2011 - He steamrolled through his opponents, and in the semi-finals, he "should have" won against Djokovic. It didn't even need to go 5 sets in the first place, let alone 2 consecutive match points.

AO2012 - Again steamrolled through his opponents, extremely convincing against Tomic & Del Potro. He lost to Nadal, but it was a fairly close 4 set match.

His form after AO2012 were equally impressive, at least until Rome.

However at FO 2012

- The expression on his face during matches was different. He looked sad even when he won his matches. During the handshake he no longer had that "just another day at the office" expression toward his opponent. Instead he just smiled warmly and gave me the feeling that he knows for certain he isn't going to be able to win the tournament.

- He played extremely passive. Most of the time he was just happy to put the ball back in the court, without the sense of urgency to finish off points like he had in the previous 2 slams. Of course committing a tonne of UEs along the way.

- He needed 4 sets against 3 completely unknown opponents. The match against Unghur should never have gone to 4. David Goffin played extremely well to his credit, but there was no reason why Federer could not have won in 3. Against Del Potro he got a bit lucky with Delpo getting slightly injured, otherwise the match could have well gone Delpo's way.

The overall feeling I got was that he knew his days at the 2012 FO were severely numbered and he has accepted that fate right at the beginning.

Obviously I was disappointed that he lost against Djokovic, but I can accept it as it came as no big surprise considering his form in this tournament.

What's your take on this? Maybe I'm over analysing it. But I definitely think something is not quite right, even if it's a small hindrance.

Cheers for reading.

Looner
06-09-2012, 02:45 AM
This should be fun...

leng jai
06-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Arthritis.

Slice Winner
06-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Federer blowing kisses to the crowd after the semi was weird..... is he not planning to come back next year?

abraxas21
06-09-2012, 02:51 AM
mono

Topspindoctor
06-09-2012, 02:52 AM
The whole, "I'll play till 2016 Olympics" is utter BS. Olderer will retire at the end of next year most likely. He no longer has the game or the drive to win big titles.

abraxas21
06-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Federer blowing kisses to the crowd after the semi was weird..... is he not planning to come back next year?

threatened to never come back unless they change the surface to blue clay

MIMIC
Yes, and his name is Djokovic.

156mphserve

I think he'll retire on the spot after winning the Olympics if he does, but nobody else seems to agree with me :shrug:

156mphserve
06-09-2012, 02:55 AM
ShutUperer is getting old, I think he's thinking more about Wimbledon because I don't think he believed he could win the french this year

Sunset of Age
06-09-2012, 02:58 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Please, for once and for all:

"If you enter the court, you are ready & able to play!"

No friggin' ridiculous excuses, please.
ALL players suffer physical niggles more or less, all of the time.

As he said himself btw. :wavey:

Topspindoctor
06-09-2012, 03:00 AM

"If you enter the court, you are able to play!"

No friggin' excuses, please.
ALL players suffer physical niggles more or less, all the time.

I disagree. Fed was clearly nursing a scraped elbow injury he got in primary school during this match. This one doesn't count IMO.

skittleball
Undiagnosed mono maybe

leng jai

"If you enter the court, you are ready & able to play!"

No friggin' excuses, please.
ALL players suffer physical niggles more or less, all the time.

That was the arthritis speaking.

Jamoz
06-09-2012, 03:01 AM
He was bothered by too many millions and "i don't give a shit attitude" That latter one happens to us all at some point (in life)

Kat_YYZ
06-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Arthritis.

ShutUperer is getting old, I think he's thinking more about Wimbledon because I don't think he believed he could win the french this year

:haha: good stuff guys :worship:

Pirata.
06-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Stratetic tank to avoid Rafa in the final. He was whispering to Nole to make sure to spend some extra time in the egg to be ready for Sunday.

Sunset of Age
06-09-2012, 03:23 AM
:haha: good stuff guys :worship:

+1.

I guess I fell for a massive troll attempt. Woe-Is-Me. :angel:

Topspindoctor
06-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Rolexerer no longer cares about MM events like Slams. Basel, Dubai and Rotterdam is where the real glory is at :yeah:

leng jai
06-09-2012, 03:25 AM
+1.

I guess I fell for a massive troll attempt. Woe-Is-Me. :angel:

For a troll you sure do a lot.

Sunset of Age
06-09-2012, 03:27 AM
For a troll you sure do a lot.

:D :D :D :kiss:

AntiTennis
06-09-2012, 04:00 AM
He said this to the swiss press:

Andrew's twitter
@burtonad: RT @carole_bouchard: Federer confirming to swiss press that he had issues with his hip the past two months. Says it got better here.

Looks like he had a more serious issue than the usual niggles, but I think he is good now or well I hope so.

clokey34
06-09-2012, 04:03 AM
Fed has already won 2 Masters titles so far this year, on two different surfaces. Rafa will go back to doing nothing after the clay season.

mikeqq
06-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Yes it could have been a strategic tank. Of course that's not saying he would have won if he had not tanked, he might still have lost.

Last year he gave it his all against Djokovic in the Semis probably because he figured he had a chance in the final, considering that Rafa was not playing his absolute best.

After he saw the match with Ferrer he probably shit himself.

But as always, I'm disappointed to see him lose in a Grand Slam. If by some miracle Ferrer defeats Nadal, surely Federer would have tried much harder to beat Djokovic.

heya
06-09-2012, 04:30 AM
he never watched djoker and tsonga but shortly after the matches, he said djoker "escaped" in the qf. he told the tournament organizers to stop distracting him with djoker/tsonga score alerts while he admired himself on the vid screen

tektonac
06-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Stratetic tank to avoid Rafa in the final. He was whispering to Nole to make sure to spend some extra time in the egg to be ready for Sunday.

trolling is a skill you don't poses.

xargon
06-09-2012, 04:55 AM
He's depressed thinking that he might soon have to retire and spend the rest of his days in a Swiss chalet staring at Mirka.

piksi
06-09-2012, 05:10 AM
The whole, "I'll play till 2016 Olympics" is utter BS. Olderer will retire at the end of next year most likely. He no longer has the game or the drive to win big titles.

there are two better players in front of him and he has to beat them both to win any GS title and he isn't capable of doing that.

He will still win Basel

SheepleBuster
06-09-2012, 05:17 AM
I suspect marriage issues. Like Pacquiao. Roger was not himself. I think he and Lindsay Vonn are getting together. just saying

Mr. Oracle
06-09-2012, 05:24 AM
"Default Something was bothering Federer at the French Open?"

Yeah, the guy across the net.

martinatreue
06-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Meh I think he is just a bit tired mentally and physically and may be wanting to get some rest and recovery before Wimbly. Djokovic was very solid and Federer had already decided he was not willing to grind out there. A bit of a strategic tank/go for broke approach. Nole is not beating Rafa unfortunately IMO.

Jimnik
06-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Losing a set on clay to Mahut would bother anyone.

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-09-2012, 06:05 AM
He's depressed thinking that he might soon have to retire and spend the rest of his days in a Swiss chalet staring at Mirka.

That is sad even someone as low as Federer doesnt deserve Mirka the Hutt ... well yeah he does

Slade
06-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah it was a weird tournament for Fed. He looked very flustered at times and he dropped sets in almost all his matches. He was also so careless in big points and serve was way off... It's a miracle he even made the semis.

He needs to get his head fixed ASAP, blowing those big leads was absolutely disgusting to watch.

garson
06-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

Given Federer's fairly poor form at this year's French Open, I couldn't help thinking something was bothering him. Maybe some nagging injuries etc.... Not enough to make him withdraw, but is enough to slow his game down, just like at around the same time in 2010.

I don't think it's because he's getting older, especially comparing with his form in USO 2011 and AO 2012, which isn't that long ago.

US 2011 - He steamrolled through his opponents, and in the semi-finals, he "should have" won against Djokovic. It didn't even need to go 5 sets in the first place, let alone 2 consecutive match points.

AO2012 - Again steamrolled through his opponents, extremely convincing against Tomic & Del Potro. He lost to Nadal, but it was a fairly close 4 set match.

His form after AO2012 were equally impressive, at least until Rome.

However at FO 2012

- The expression on his face during matches was different. He looked sad even when he won his matches. During the handshake he no longer had that "just another day at the office" expression toward his opponent. Instead he just smiled warmly and gave me the feeling that he knows for certain he isn't going to be able to win the tournament.

- He played extremely passive. Most of the time he was just happy to put the ball back in the court, without the sense of urgency to finish off points like he had in the previous 2 slams. Of course committing a tonne of UEs along the way.

- He needed 4 sets against 3 completely unknown opponents. The match against Unghur should never have gone to 4. David Goffin played extremely well to his credit, but there was no reason why Federer could not have won in 3. Against Del Potro he got a bit lucky with Delpo getting slightly injured, otherwise the match could have well gone Delpo's way.

The overall feeling I got was that he knew his days at the 2012 FO were severely numbered and he has accepted that fate right at the beginning.

Obviously I was disappointed that he lost against Djokovic, but I can accept it as it came as no big surprise considering his form in this tournament.

What's your take on this? Maybe I'm over analysing it. But I definitely think something is not quite right, even if it's a small hindrance.

Cheers for reading.

So far the replies here are mixed. You seem to provide good analysis that many would not have seen. I would not be able to provide or counter what you put here.

Roger really tried at the first set when he broke Novak. Somehow after Novak broke back, that intensity or trying harder was probably too much for him. Unlike last year, he was facing a very new and improved Novak, who has been winning GrandSlams.

I'm not sure about your point that Roger would accept his fate about his time at Roland Garros. How about David Ferrer, the guy with the same age? Well, two of them are different players.

mikeqq
06-09-2012, 08:03 AM
I think the difference between Federer & Ferrer is this....

Ferrer is a player who is not expected to reach the Semifinals, he knows that no one gives him a chance at the title. Therefore, he can play without any pressure and go for broke, but unfortunately came up really short again Nadal.

Federer knows he can go all the way with a bit of luck, and of course good play. Fans would love for him to take the title. But this year he seems to me to have already accepted that he isn't able to win it, for some reason what I'm not sure of. He looks disappointed because he knows he can win it, but isn't able to do so.

Also I think he's still mentally weak against Djokovic. That USO 2011 semifinal broke him down severely in the mental department. I'm worried that he's got the idea in his head that he is just not meant to beat Djokovic anymore, hence stops trying as hard as he could.

Mr. Oracle
06-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Meh I think he is just a bit tired mentally and physically and may be wanting to get some rest and recovery before Wimbly. Djokovic was very solid and Federer had already decided he was not willing to grind out there. A bit of a strategic tank/go for broke approach. Nole is not beating Rafa unfortunately IMO.

Is a "strategic tank" at a slam an oxymoron?

henke007
06-09-2012, 08:05 AM
:facepalm:

bluesoleil
06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
From the presser:

Q. I have the impression when Iím listening to you that you have a little cold; is that true?

ROGER FEDERER: No, no. My throat was a little sore. My nose was running a little in the past days, but it didnít really bother me today. No, not at all. Didnít bother me at all.

Q. You said that your season on clay had its ups and downs due to physical injuries. Would you say that this is what you paid here at Roland Garros, all these physical difficulties?

ROGER FEDERER: No, physically I feel good. What I said before is that today was my best day physically speaking if I look at the past months.

When I practiced the week after Madrid I was okay, then I hurt myself a little, and then for three or four weeks I knew Iíd feel this physically. But then the pain vanished after Rome. I was happy on this side.

I played this side as well, so mentally afterwards you donít want to hit too strongly. Who knows? You know, I tried to find other solutions in my game, but it was a good season on clay.

Wilanderer
06-09-2012, 09:13 AM
I also think something was wrong with him during RG. He seemed pissed most of the time (understandable, he played like shit). Or disinterested.
To me, he didn't like these the slow conditions and the slow balls. He knew he had no chance winning the title with these conditions. But that doesn't explain his garbage match against Djokovic. Maybe there was something physical envolved. At many times, I noticed he was moving his right shoulder after a point, as if something was bothering him.

finishingmove
06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I know what was bothering him. Being too old and unable to compete with the top guys anymore. It will bother him more and more as long as he continues playing.

Langers
06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Definitely mono returned, for sure. How else do you explain it?

Garson007
06-09-2012, 09:39 AM
No reason for the guy to retire while he still makes the second week at the majority of slams. It's too profitable not to.

Houstonko
06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Federer already past 28 but Nadal and Djoker isn't. Tennis players before 28 play 5 setters in every game is not problem. Furthermore playing full season baseline tennis after 28 he is bound to be having worst muscle strains than youngster.

Commander Data
06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
The falling stock market, it ain't fun playing ball games while millions go down the drain.

Poirot123
06-09-2012, 10:10 AM
The conditions at this year's FO didn't suit Federer's game at all. Hence his perpetual struggle throughout the tournament and lack of form. Last year the balls were super fast through the air, so Fed's serve was potent. This year the balls were heavier and slower, the weather was colder, and without his serve, Fed had to labour his way through the draw, in slow conditions, and his game is all about winning quick points.

Throw in the fact these conditions suit Nadal down to an absolute tee, and also suit DJokovic more than Fed, he probably knew he would struggle to win here, and he knew there was no way he would beat Rafa if he couldn't do it last year when he actually had a better chance.

Whether Fed was physically not 100% or not may have been a factor. But it doesn't matter. A 100% fit Fed wouldn't have been able to beat rafa and Djokovic back to back in these conditions. He'd have to paint the lines non stop for 3 sets. And that very rarely happens.

Allez
06-09-2012, 10:13 AM
His mind wants to do things his body doesn't want to do anymore. Who would not be bothered by such a predicament ? 5 years from now it's going to bother Nole and Rafa as well. That's just the way it goes. If I were him I'd try to appreciate more and allow it to bother me less. Play for fun with no more expectations. That he can still challenge these far superior guys is something to be happy about.

Houstonko
06-09-2012, 10:15 AM
The conditions at this year's FO didn't suit Federer's game at all. Hence his perpetual struggle throughout the tournament and lack of form. Last year the balls were super fast through the air, so Fed's serve was potent. This year the balls were heavier and slower, the weather was colder, and without his serve, Fed had to labour his way through the draw, in slow conditions, and his game is all about winning quick points.

Throw in the fact these conditions suit Nadal down to an absolute tee, and also suit DJokovic more than Fed, he probably knew he would struggle to win here, and he knew there was no way he would beat Rafa if he couldn't do it last year when he actually had a better chance.

Whether Fed was physically not 100% or not may have been a factor. But it doesn't matter. A 100% fit Fed wouldn't have been able to beat rafa and Djokovic back to back in these conditions. He'd have to paint the lines non stop for 3 sets. And that very rarely happens.

2006 still his best chance to beat Nadal. Won the first set, dont know why he lose the rest. Nadal didnt change anything and is there for the beating. Physically Fed wasn't good always.

J99
Hey Mike, I guess you are the last to know that Fed is having back issues now.

Poirot123
So far the replies here are mixed. You seem to provide good analysis that many would not have seen. I would not be able to provide or counter what you put here.

Roger really tried at the first set when he broke Novak. Somehow after Novak broke back, that intensity or trying harder was probably too much for him. Unlike last year, he was facing a very new and improved Novak, who has been winning GrandSlams.

I'm not sure about your point that Roger would accept his fate about his time at Roland Garros. How about David Ferrer, the guy with the same age? Well, two of them are different players.

As others have said, Fed just isn't willing to grind to win. And that's what you've got to do in the FO playing Djokovic and Nadal. The alternative is painting the lines. Fed tried the latter strategy and it wasn't pretty as he couldn't keep the ball in the court. There's a reason Fed has made 30 odd consequetive QFs in slams. It's because he doesn't grind. Keeping points short lessens the impact on his body. Grinding would wear his body down leading to more injuries and poorer form and shorter longevity.

Sadly for Fed, winning GS in slower conditions requires a mammoth grind fest these days. Which is why he's slamless now for 9 events and only been in 1 final - where oddly conditions were fastest due to the balls (RG 2011).

mikeqq
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Whatever the case, doesn't change the fact that he's the greatest of all time in the eyes of many.

Almost 31 and has never missed a Grand Slam quarterfinal since middle of 2004. 23 consecutive semi-finals or better, unlikely to every be equaled.

TigerTim
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
dodgy little finger?

Johnny Groove
06-09-2012, 01:16 PM
As if he was making it any further than SF anyways.

SF on clay at RG for a 30 year old is a fine result.

thehotstuff66
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
he just lost to the better player on the day. no excuses. now he can rest for a few days and gear up for grass which is where i think he will make a bigger impact...that's my take...love the guy, he showed me that when everything is clicking with his game, he can beat novak and that's all i needed to see...rafa on clay is another think coming.

On to grass!

cat

motorhead
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM

:haha:

sexybeast
06-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Can we discuss anything like adults in this site?

I have no doubt Nadal had major health issues in RG 2009 and Australian Open 2011 but tards on the other side will deny this, same goes for Federer in Australian Open 2008 and Halle-Wimbledon 2010 and while I am not sure what is going on this year there are reasons to be worried. He would doubtless have lost to Djokovic anyway, but I feel there is something bothering him, the whole time since the Madrid final. I think he was foolish to not rest after Madrid and withdraw from Rome but he is chasing that nr1 spot and got hybris.

He should have skipped Miami aswell.

MuzzahLovah
06-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Does dementia count?

n8
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Rolexerer no longer cares about MM events like Slams. Basel, Dubai and Rotterdam is where the real glory is at :yeah:

You're funny all the time and this post really hit my spot.

star
06-09-2012, 02:49 PM
As others have said, Fed just isn't willing to grind to win. And that's what you've got to do in the FO playing Djokovic and Nadal. The alternative is painting the lines. Fed tried the latter strategy and it wasn't pretty as he couldn't keep the ball in the court. There's a reason Fed has made 30 odd consequetive QFs in slams. It's because he doesn't grind. Keeping points short lessens the impact on his body. Grinding would wear his body down leading to more injuries and poorer form and shorter longevity.

Sadly for Fed, winning GS in slower conditions requires a mammoth grind fest these days. Which is why he's slamless now for 9 events and only been in 1 final - where oddly conditions were fastest due to the balls (RG 2011).

I hear this time and again, but as a Nadal fan, I know that it’s best for Nadal to meet Federer on a faster clay court than on a slow clay court. Rome, Monte Carlo, Roland Garros. Hamburg was the worst for Nadal with the heavy, wet, cold conditions.

If one were to take all tennis knowledge from reading this board, one would think that the courts are getting progressively slower every year — all courts. It defies reality.

Singularity
06-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Yeah, Ungur and Mahut sure are fierce competitors.

tektonac
06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
fed should have a full time meteorologist in his team.

tektonac
06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah, Ungur and Mahut sure are fierce competitors.

that's the problem with roger and his fans: never give a credit, never give a credit ...

Singularity
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Well for example, Federer had two match points in the Ungur match, then threw them away with two awful backhand errors, and then one backhand into the net.

tripwires
06-09-2012, 04:41 PM
that's the problem with roger and his fans: never give a credit, never give a credit ...

Don't be a fool. He played shit the whole tournament. He played ultra shit in that second set. Nole did well to hold on to his lead in the third and was obviously the deserved winner cos he was better than Roger but anyone with eyes can see that Roger was just awful that match.

Wing Man Frank
06-09-2012, 04:42 PM
The only thing that was likely to have bothered him was the realisation that he'll no longer win a slam so long as Djokovic and Nadal are around.

tektonac
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Don't be a fool. He played shit the whole tournament. He played ultra shit in that second set. Nole did well to hold on to his lead in the third and was obviously the deserved winner cos he was better than Roger but anyone with eyes can see that Roger was just awful that match.

when roger loses he is always awful. there is always something.

TigerTim
06-09-2012, 04:59 PM
they are getting bothersome

http://siusopen.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/djokovic-nadal-getty-300.jpg

Singularity
06-09-2012, 05:31 PM
when roger loses he is always awful. there is always something.
It's rare to lose a match having done everything perfectly, especially when you're a player of Roger's caliber. But he played well here last year, even in his defeat to Nadal (didn't take his chances, but that's always the case with him vs. Nadal). Wimbledon 2008 and A0 2009 are also widely regarded as great matches, because Federer played at a high level for much of them.

Look at Federer's victories at RG this year. In the match threads were fans talking about how great Roger was playing (as they really want to do)? No they were saying that Roger needed to raise his level if he wanted to stay in the tournament. Well he didn't, so he's out.