Monday night final at the US Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Monday night final at the US Open?

Looner
06-08-2012, 10:38 PM
While listening to today's commentary by Jim Courier, he suggested that the US Open was considering a Monday night final. I found that interesting and a very American way of handling the problem they've had for years. Rather good I'd say.

I would certainly enjoy it but what I am wondering - wasn't there competition from other big-selling sports on Monday evening during that period of the year.

What do other people think of this? Do you approve?

Mark Lenders
06-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Well, it has been like that for years, might as well make it official. Federer vs Murray was on Monday, Federer vs Del Potro too, as well as the last two Djokovic vs Nadal final. The last final played on Sunday was Federer vs Djokovic in 2007. Might as well make it official, I guess.

It'd give the players a day rest before the final, making the quality better. I definitely agree with this idea.

Mjau!
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
They should play semis on fridays like everyone else.

Stupid saturday :stupid:

Johnny Groove
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Forget that.

How about not spreading the first round over 3 days and getting rid of Stupid Saturday?

Monday evening final would be going up vs. prime time Monday Night Football.

At least with the Sunday afternoon final, CBS doesn't show football in their regular slot and instead shows the USO final. I don't know the ratings situation though, but I'm sure whatever makes the USTA the most money is what they will do, tradition be damned. The motherfuckers.

Looner
06-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks, JG. I knew there was something wrong with that idea. I hope they do sth about it but they need a roof because even if they play on the 3rd Sunday, it still might rain and force them to wait.

Mark Lenders
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Forget that.

How about not spreading the first round over 3 days and getting rid of Stupid Saturday?

Monday evening final would be going up vs. prime time Monday Night Football.

At least with the Sunday afternoon final, CBS doesn't show football in their regular slot and instead shows the USO final. I don't know the ratings situation though, but I'm sure whatever makes the USTA the most money is what they will do, tradition be damned. The motherfuckers.

This is as good a time as any to say I love your avatar :eek:

Who is that?

yesh222
06-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Isn't the day of the US Open final usually the week before NFL season starts? Is MNF an issue?

Fujee
06-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Who is that?

Haha I was about to say..

Johnny Groove
06-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Who is that?

Wish I knew her name :lol:

Isn't the day of the US Open final usually the week before NFL season starts? Is MNF an issue?

It's usually Week 1 of the NFL season, sometimes Week 2.

Haha I was about to say..

Ya, she's damn hot.

Li Ching Yuen
06-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I definitely agree about putting the final in a night session. I've always wondered why they haven't done that yet.

dencod16
06-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Sunday final is a lot better. The reason why they need to move it because their scheduling is horrible. Why not start on a Sunday rather than Monday.

BroTree123
06-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I heard about this rumour last year. What the fuck are they smoking? :stupid:

LinkMage
06-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Semis on Friday night, final on Sunday :shrug:

I hate the Monday finals. I can't watch it because of work. :mad:

abraxas21
06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
If they're not willing the play the SF on friday, then this sounds like a great idea to me. plus, a final in the night time is very american and could give the tournament its special mark. US Open night matches are already well known for their spectacularity.

a final on monday afternoon is the worst possible scenario because i wouldn't be able to watch it due to work.

abraxas21
06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Semis on Friday night,

you mean both SF at the same time? i wouldn't like that.