Federer and Nole Struggles: Is It The Balls? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer and Nole Struggles: Is It The Balls?

SheepleBuster
06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Darren Cahill was saying how Rafa likes these new balls. Brad Gilbert also explained how the balls stay soft but jump ... Do you think that's the reason Nole and Roger are both struggling but Rafa who is a dirt baller extraordinaire loves these balls? How slow are the conditions that nobody seems to be able to hit through the courts. It seems much worse than last year. Any thoughts?

EliSter
06-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Last year FO was fast, especially balls, whats why Olderer had slightly chance in finals, this year tho it looks really really slow, anything except Nadull winning would be huge suprisse :o

reery
06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
RG is playing like Monte Carlo this year. Only players to not drop sets are Spaniards.

Looner
06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Last year the temperature at the FO was around 30C all the time. The clay was baked and fast. Now it's very, very slow as it's around 15C for the past few days.

SheepleBuster
06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
It looks awfully slow. The ball is moving in slow motion. I mean Rafa is always the favorite but I hope this slowness remains at French and does not somehow find its way to other surfaces. lol

reery
06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Almagro and Ferrer have not dropped a set. Says it all.

Looner
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
It looks awfully slow. The ball is moving in slow motion. I mean Rafa is always the favorite but I hope this slowness remains at French and does not somehow find its way to other surfaces. lol

Was this comment made in 2005?

GSMnadal
It actually looks a bit like a clay court tournament this year :unsure:

reery

It's playing like RG circa 2002.

Kiedis
Two ballbashers like Tsonga and Del Potro like the same type of balls than Nadal. Interesting :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
When there is rain or very cloudy then the courts are heavy which makes sense due to the natural surface. Harder to hit through the court when the air is heavier, but less bounce and the balls absorb the moisture and clay from heavy courts. Yes, Babolat still make the balls, but they aren't as lively as last year. It's very simple weather conditions are the biggest factor in how clay plays on any given day.

Nadal prefers when it's warmer cause the ball jumps even higher as the court bakes and takes higher bounce. Doesn't matter fast clay, slow clay, light ball or heavy balls he gets it done.

Got an experiment get a tennis ball put a bit water on it and one not, drop them from the same height, easy to tell which one bounces higher.

EliSter
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
What will weather be in friday and sunday?

networthy
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
No, it's the lack of balls

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
fed............... chances to win?
doesnt look good

alter ego
06-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Cold and rainny.

DrJules
06-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Are they using different balls this year.

Even in the dry sunny weather it seemed slower this year.

Looner

Cold and damp. Something like 20C. A bit like today. Definitely favours Novak plus he's played on PC more. It might even rain. I expect to see Mugray and RN still get the first SF though as we're talking about French scheduling here...

Tennis-Life

I am sure you will change your mind if Nadal gets his plate

sexybeast
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Nadal loves these conditions, it doesnt really matter if it jumps high or not because his game is about alot more than getting the ball high up on opponents backhand. What is foremost important to Nadal is that opponents cant hit through him or hold serve with ease. These conditions reminds me of 2008 when Nadal destroyed all opposition.

Action Jackson
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Are they using different balls this year.

Even in the dry sunny weather it seemed slower this year.

I said it earlier yes Babolat balls, just not as light as last year.

SheepleBuster
06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I agree with Action Jackson. The weather has something to do with it but also the balls. Even Wilander said that the balls make Rafa a bigger favorite. I think his toughest challenge will come from Ferrer or Almagro than Roger or Nole. Roger and Nole might need to play 9 sets to decide who gets to the final. lol

TigerTim
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Look, if Del Potro and Tsonga can take two sets off the 2/3 seeds and Murray smash winners left right and centre it is the players and not just the balls that are the factor here.

Mark Lenders
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
The balls and conditions are the same for everyone. The field is slowly bridging the gap to the big 3. Those 3 are still clearly above the field but they've been starting to get real challenges every now and then. Hopefully we'll return to a 2009 situation soon, with many players in the mix and not just 3.

sexybeast
06-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree with Action Jackson. The weather has something to do with it but also the balls. Even Wilander said that the balls make Rafa a bigger favorite. I think his toughest challenge will come from Ferrer or Almagro than Roger or Nole. Roger and Nole might need to play 9 sets to decide who gets to the final. lol

A team effort from Ferrer/Almagro will probably be required. Nadal needs to get tired at some point but players need to push him hard to get to that point. I would prefer Ferrer to play Nadal first and tire him in a 5 hours 4-setter and Almagro go for the kill than the other way around.

Oh well, I am probably just daydreaming. Nadal will get the nr7 and deservedly claim the GOAT of clay title beyond any doubts.

iriraz
06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
These heavy,slow balls favour the players who have a high net clearence like Nadal.
I don`t think for Tsonga the balls helped him that much but more the damp conditions,so he had plenty of time to smack the ball.
Federer,who is playing high risk tennis seems to struggle whole tourney to make any big shot.He either hit them in the net or hit them past the baseline.And the rest finished in the middle of the court.So no real advantage for him.The only thing that saved him this tournament was his variety with drop shots or slices.If he just went for his shots he would have lost long time ago.

sexybeast
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
These heavy,slow balls favour the players who have a high net clearence like Nadal.
I don`t think for Tsonga the balls helped him that much but more the damp conditions,so he had plenty of time to smack the ball.
Federer,who is playing high risk tennis seems to struggle whole tourney to make any big shot.He either hit them in the net or hit them past the baseline.And the rest finished in the middle of the court.So no real advantage for him.The only thing that saved him this tournament was his variety with drop shots or slices.If he just went for his shots he would have lost long time ago.

Federer cant take a set against Nadal in these conditions, he needs to be able to hold service games easily against Nadal. He can beat anyone else, but I would prefer a Djokovic-Nadal final this year.

SERBINATOR
06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
NOT surprised, Nadull sat down with the Babolot Co. to discuss abt further aiding him to win Grand slams which he couldn't win under normal conditions

toni Mafia and his asspicking nephew trying to Cheat as usual

JediFed
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Fed likes cold, wet, rainy, low bouncing Clay courts.

Tennis-Life
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
NOT surprised, Nadull sat down with the Babolot Co. to discuss abt further aiding him to win Grand slams which he couldn't win under normal conditions

toni Mafia and his asspicking nephew trying to Cheat as usual

agree with this

sexybeast
06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Fed likes cold, wet, rainy, low bouncing Clay courts.

People keep saying this but as a matter of fact Federer prefers fast claycourts and sunny weather, specially older Federer.

He wants to go for the kill fast, Nadal destroyed him in wet and cold weather in 2008.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-06-2012, 01:15 AM
low bouncing mid to high speed courts favor rog becsuse his bh cant be touched but still fast enough for his epic serve to do damage

currrntly rg isnt any of this
i honestly think its a hige achievement for rog to make semis in these conditions

.......or the era sucks

MIMIC
06-06-2012, 01:19 AM
They were playing like shit. Period.

Topspindoctor
06-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Olderer has declined severly, he was awesome on any clay in 2006. Djokovic is not a natural clay courter, he plays the surface like hardcourt :tape:.

sexybeast
06-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Federer 2006 must be the best claycourt player to not win a title on the surface, that Federer would beat almost anyone in history not named Nadal on clay.

Federer 2012 cant even turn defense to offense on clay, he is too slow and is thereby forced to play very aggressive all the time.

FleetSeb
06-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Not a Nadal fan but slowness is good. We need more variety of court. Everything migrating to slow-medium pace is undesirable. Give me more ultra slow and ultra fast with everything in between. Glad RG has countered it's trend towards medium paced mediocrity.

tektonac
06-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Olderer has declined severly, he was awesome on any clay in 2006. Djokovic is not a natural clay courter, he plays the surface like hardcourt :tape:.

you mean rafa plays on hc (and everything else) like claycourt.

Looner
06-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Not a Nadal fan but slowness is good. We need more variety of court. Everything migrating to slow-medium pace is undesirable. Give me more ultra slow and ultra fast with everything in between. Glad RG has countered it's trend towards medium paced mediocrity.

I'd agree with this only if Wimbledon wisened up and actually held a grass court slam this year instead of the green clay we've been seeing as of late. We need quick grass, quick USO and medium-paced AO. It's been said before but players like Federer, Tsonga and Berdych are severely hampered with regard to conditions.

zlaja777
06-06-2012, 02:27 AM
This is how clay should play anyway so no reason to complain for neither Djokovic or Fed fans. And weather is something you can't control, you have to adjust to it, and the best in doing so, will win.

abraxas21
06-06-2012, 03:02 AM
federer should demand RG to change to blue clay in 2013

green25814
06-06-2012, 03:05 AM
I'd agree with this only if Wimbledon wisened up and actually held a grass court slam this year instead of the green clay we've been seeing as of late. We need quick grass, quick USO and medium-paced AO. It's been said before but players like Federer, Tsonga and Berdych are severely hampered with regard to conditions.

I don't think the clay conditions can really be controlled all that much. Neither can grass. The change in speed on clay comes from the weather, and grass turns into something like clay near the end of tournaments when the baseliners have worn out all the grass. If Nadal was ranked outside the topten he'd probably get taken out in an early round at Wimbledon most times.

Hardcourts can, US Open should definitely be quickened up, and the OZ open shouldn't be quite so slow either.

heya
06-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Wimbledon, AO, fo, USO losses hurt fed and his fans
losers are not gifting him every trophy; oh well

Smoke944
06-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Federer 2006 must be the best claycourt player to not win a title on the surface, that Federer would beat almost anyone in history not named Nadal on clay.

Federer 2012 cant even turn defense to offense on clay, he is too slow and is thereby forced to play very aggressive all the time.

:spit: Not this again

paseo
06-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah it's really slow. But, these kind of conditions should favor big hitters as they would have time to set up and unload. Just like Soderling did when he blast Fed off the court in 2010. Both Tsonga and Del Potro should have won their matches, I feel. I don't know. Maybe Soderling just has bigger shots than them, and bigger balls too.

If Almagro and Ferrer can hold their nerves, they can give Nadal two grueling matches in these conditions. So, maybe there's still hope after all for Fed/Djokovic. Albeit a tiny one.

Action Jackson
06-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Yeah it's really slow. But, these kind of conditions should favor big hitters as they would have time to set up and unload. Just like Soderling did when he blast Fed off the court in 2010. Both Tsonga and Del Potro should have won their matches, I feel. I don't know. Maybe Soderling just has bigger shots than them, and bigger balls too.

If Almagro and Ferrer can hold their nerves, they can give Nadal two grueling matches in these conditions. So, maybe there's still hope after all for Fed/Djokovic. Albeit a tiny one.

Söderling does have more power and spin especially on the forehand, it was very heavy when he took out Nadal.

leng jai
06-06-2012, 05:04 AM
I for one saw no issue with Nole's balls yesterday.

duong
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I thought in the beginning of Fed's match, esp. the "jump" effect. The rain had not affected the bounce much.

But then in next sets most problems had gone away :shrug:

And in Dubai, the ball also has quite a high bounce and he did very well

Usually he doesn't like this kind of dynamic jump of the ball, it can give him problems, maybe that's one of the reasons, but surely not the only one, why he had problems to find his game until third set yesterday.