Surprising interview, Del Potro says the injury wasn't an issue on court [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Surprising interview, Del Potro says the injury wasn't an issue on court

alter ego
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Transcript:

Q. Just talk about the match. You got off to the great start, played the good tiebreak, and then looks like the knee started hurting, but then in the fifth set it looks like you moved better. Can you just take me through it.
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, I think anyways I play a great match, even the third and fourth set. He start to play much better than in the beginning of the match and I feel his ball more in the baseline. He put me to run a lot in the third and fourth set.
He made better match than me after the second set. I don't have any chance to win until the first game in the fifth set when I had break point. He play well points and he take the opportunity in the fifth set and he win.

Q. When you called the trainer onto the court, did he give you some painkillers for your knee?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, but was to remove my tape just for be more tight. Nothing special.

Q. Are you saying that your knee did not affect your movement at all after the second set?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No.

Q. No? Because in the fourth set I think he had 13 winners and no unforced errors at that point. Did you feel he was feeling so well there's nothing I can do?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, I feel, like you say, I serve really bad in the fourth set, also. And if I serve bad against Federer or the top guys, you don't have too many chance to win points.
I serve bad in the fourth set, and then in the fifth set he broke me very early to take the advantage. He was playing with more confidence the fifth set than me.
When he had the chance to close the match, he made it.

Q. What do you do now? Will you go to Queen's?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I'm going to rest now.

Q. You may not play Queen's?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't know now. I would love to play Queen's. I supposed to play Queen's. I just finish and I don't know what I'm going to do in the next hours, so I can't tell you that.
THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions, please.

Q. Can you analyze the match for us and explain what happened?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I have not had time to analyze it yet. As I said, I played very well at the beginning. Then he started playing better. I missed a few serves, as my serve was not as good as in the first two sets. Then my game was no longer the same.
During the fifth set, he took the only opportunity I had. I had a break point, but he won it. I think that's when the difference was huge.

Q. You had two first sets which were fantastic. What happened afterwards?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, same thing: it's my serve. I didn't serve well, and this is why I lost intensity in my game. Let me say that again: Federer played much better. I had to make efforts to serve better, and he did everything so that my serve was not as good as I wanted it to be and I couldn't take my chances.
I had opportunities. I missed them; when he had opportunities he won, and that made the difference.

Q. It's more than two years since you last won sets to Federer; you did that. So what can you learn from this match?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, the tournament was a great tournament for me. I'm very happy I made it to this level. I played four Grand Slams, and I'm amongst the eight players in the world who can make it to the final on a great tournament.
So when I win sets, when I win games against big players, against those who have a better ranking than mine, there's always something to learn. There is positive and negative, and I have to work on the negative aspects.

Q. You said you didn't know when you would be back on the courts and where. It's probably a bit early. You have problems with your knee. So were you told you should rest or have you been told you can continue playing?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, after Estoril, I continued playing many matches. I think I'm one of the players who played the largest number of matches this year.
I'm feeling it a bit right now, but I really want to start playing on grass. I want to raise my level on grass. So maybe Wimbledon and the Olympic Games. That's a great motivation for me to continue to work.

Q. We know that you never try and find excuses for a bad match and you always congratulate the winner, but we had the feeling that you were not moving as fast on the court during the fourth and the fifth set. Did you feel pain?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No. What I felt was that Federer was playing his best tennis. As I said, he raised his level; mine started to decrease. We started at the same level. The match was very close. He took my serve on the first set; then I took his back.
During the third and fourth set when his level raised, mine went down. In the fifth set I gave everything I had. I gave him an opportunity, and he took it.

Q. It started raining at one stage. How was the court? Was it a problem for you to play your shots or to move on the court?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, because Federer's shots were slower, as well, so the conditions have an impact on both players. I don't think they had an influence on the quality of the game. The two others are still playing, so they didn't stop because of the rain.
As I said, I gave him an opportunity during the fifth set; he took it.
Good for him.

Q. Did you feel you could win the match at one stage after the end of the second set? Did you start thinking, Okay, this match is going to be for me?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, until the very last ball I thought I could win, even if I was down 5 2 during the fifth set. I have enough experience now and I can come back even when the match is very complicated and we're in the fifth set.
That's why I was never discouraged. Well, I always think that Federer has far more experience than I have and he can win a match more quickly. Against another player I could have won a break and I could have won perhaps, but it was Federer.

EliSter
06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
:o

Mark Lenders
06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Surprising? He has never ever failed to congratulate his opponent and downplay injuries. It'd be surprising if he had done so this time.

Federer's interview was actually far from interesting, it was class.

RIboy
06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Delpo- true class, on the other hand...http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-30/top-seed-roger-federer-upset-by-tomas-berdych-in-wimbledon-quarterfinals.html

Federer said at his post-match news conference that he was bothered by back and leg trouble.

“If I’m healthy, I can handle these guys,” he said. “When you can’t play freely, that’s the kind of performance you get.”
:yeah:

Luinir
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
:worship:

Looner
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Surprising? He has never ever failed to congratulate his opponent and downplay injuries. It'd be surprising if he had done so this time.

Federer's interview was actually far from interesting, it was class.

Can you post what Rog said? I mean you meant his was class, right? I'm sure Delboy was classy as he always is.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m55of1X8921qij2euo1_400.gif

manadrainer
06-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Congrats to Delpo... he is a class act.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
^good to see rog actually cares about tennis

:-)

Mark Lenders
06-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Can you post what Rog said? I mean you meant his was class, right? I'm sure Delboy was classy as he always is.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m55of1X8921qij2euo1_400.gif

I don't have the transcript, only heard his on-court interview after the match.

He basically congratulated Del Potro, said Juan had been a hero out there playing through the knee pain and that he had got a bit lucky but that was sports.

Class interview all around

rubbERR
06-05-2012, 08:05 PM
It played a part of his performance, of course. It doesnt need to bother you much physically, mentally is enough.

sexybeast
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
It obviously bothered him, but anyone denying Federer upped his level considerably as the match went on is fooling themselves. Del Potro could still run in the 5th set, he was just trying to finish earlier and missing alot probably because he knew mentally that his knee was getting worse.

shadows
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
True number 4 is a class act.

duarte_a
06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
This gif will come in handy so many times.

bornnl
06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
To who Federer said to shut up?

buzz
06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Classy

Roamed
06-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Delpo must be lying on some level, in which case we can only congratulate him on his classiness. Best player as a person on tour, I think, :worship:

Say Hey Kid
06-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Such a class act at still a relatively young age.

Not a suprise he has accomplished what he has. Never looks for someone or something else to blame.

evilmindbulgaria
06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Classy from Delpo, unlike Clayturkey after many of his defeats!

LuCC
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM

To all MTF tards in LCT

TigerTim
06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
DelPo clearly wants his regular fisting from the master tonight. Lack of fising from the maestro in 2009 caused him to try and fist himself resulting in that wrist injury. Thank you Rodger, without the maestro Del Potro would still injure himself.

Absolute Anthropoid
06-06-2012, 04:50 AM

Some woman called "OUT" when Federer sliced on a line, maybe distracting Federer because his next FH netted.

Mr. Oracle
06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
DelPo clearly wants his regular fisting from the master tonight. Lack of fising from the maestro in 2009 caused him to try and fist himself resulting in that wrist injury. Thank you Rodger, without the maestro Del Potro would still injure himself.

Yep, the way pony molested Fed at the net, you would think that HE actually won the match. That was painful to watch. I call this the tennis version of Helsinki syndrome.

Kat_YYZ
06-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Del Po is a nice boy. :)

leng jai
06-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Pony is akin to a giant Winne The Pooh. He's no Eeyore though.

abraxas21
06-06-2012, 05:18 AM
humbalito could learn a lesson from this

dodo
06-06-2012, 06:02 AM
It's nice to see him pay respects to Federer, but you have to wonder how much of this interview is straight bollocks. Leg did not bother him? He was on fire for two sets and then suddenly couldn't even run down balls that were landing 1m from him. Come on.

Mechlan
06-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Refuses to let an obvious injury be a talking point in the interview? Class act, Del Potro.

VolandriFan
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
What a classless liar!

Topspindoctor
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
humbalito could learn a lesson from this

Maybe if Delpo didn't turn into a pussy every time he stepped against Olderer after 2009, maybe he wouldn't get humiliated every time they met. He could ask Nadal for some lessons, lol.

EddieNero
06-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe if Delpo didn't turn into a pussy every time he stepped against Olderer after 2009, maybe he wouldn't get humiliated every time they met. He could ask Nadal for some lessons, lol.

Are you familiar with a term "nightmare match-up", fool?

Obviously not since you have no idea about the sport you are making comments on.

sportstennis
06-06-2012, 10:17 AM

lol. nadal always makes excuse.

:o

ServeVolley
06-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Or maybe Nadal could ask Fed for some lessons. He was on a 3-match losing streak to Delpo before the wrist injury, and struggled massively against an out-of-form Delpo last year. ;)

Shinoj
06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Distinct lack of brains in that Interview to be honest.

Why couldn't he say that his Movement was hampered. It was Obvious. He could have said in a Djokovicsque way that

" Look i dont want to put an excuse at something. But the knee was Really bothering me. I couldnt move a feet. But then again i have to give credit to Federer. There is a reason why he is such a good player"

duong
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
What he says is what I also saw from my eyes :shrug:

I'm more surprised by the number of people who thought the opposite ... or well I'm not surprised :lol:

dencod16
06-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I think one thing is that he went in to the tournament with that kind of injury, so complaining about it would be dumb. If you came in and had the injury during the match, it can be an excuse but if you had it before you played the match its no excuse. Congrats to him though, slowly climbing up the rankings. Good that he isn't making excuses.

duong
06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I think one thing is that he went in to the tournament with that kind of injury, so complaining about it would be dumb. If you came in and had the injury during the match, it can be an excuse but if you had it before you played the match its no excuse. Congrats to him though, slowly climbing up the rankings. Good that he isn't making excuses.

yes exactly he's had a problem since Madrid but it didn't get worse during the course of match and it didn't prevent him from winning two sets against Fed and a match against Berdych and Cilic :shrug:

tennishero
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
It's nice to see him pay respects to Federer, but you have to wonder how much of this interview is straight bollocks. Leg did not bother him? He was on fire for two sets and then suddenly couldn't even run down balls that were landing 1m from him. Come on.

+1

he was injured, or he tanked/fixed... is the only explanation.

it was really frustrating watching him waste and hand the match away to federer again with no effort. :banghead:

samanosuke
06-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Delpo- true class, on the other hand...http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-30/top-seed-roger-federer-upset-by-tomas-berdych-in-wimbledon-quarterfinals.html

Federer said at his post-match news conference that he was bothered by back and leg trouble.

“If I’m healthy, I can handle these guys,” he said. “When you can’t play freely, that’s the kind of performance you get.”
:yeah:

:eek: how the hell mtf missed this Fed's sentence, you saved us and you added new dimension to your posting. now you have 6 sentence to turning them in circle. keep it up :yeah:

Hian-GOAT
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Crowd.

RIboy
06-06-2012, 02:00 PM
how would Fed's press conference looked like if the roles were reversed?

philosophicalarf
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Del Pot prolly out of Queens, he's gone back to Argentina to get knee treatment.

dodo
06-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Crowd.
One particular moron in the crowd that couldnt keep her dumb mouth shut in the middle of a huge point.