Gasquet after the loss: Murray was very lucky [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet after the loss: Murray was very lucky

jonas
06-05-2012, 12:28 AM
That's what I call a sore loser. Go buy yourself a brain, Richard. :stupid:

Transcript of Richard Gasquet interview
Monday, June 4, 2012

Q. You started very well. He finished very well. Can you talk us through the match from your point of view?
RICHARD GASQUET: I start better than the finish, for sure, the finish. 6 2, not incredible, but, yeah, I start well. I played well. It was tense. Yeah, I start well, I start well.
But after I think the key was the second set. Playing good. I was feeling confident. No, he's a big player. Some points he can turn the match, because he's doing everything good. You have to work on every point.
He's serving well, returning well, he's clear in the court. That's the problem.
If I'm not lucky in the second set, I have two break points, he's playing well, and I'm not lucky with this game, even the same at 5 4. But I think I can play better in the start of the third.
But after I start when he's feeling confident, he has a lot of experience, and so after he play very well.

Q. The handshake at the end didn't seem very warm. Were you a bit unhappy with him kind of feeling his body?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, because I lost. I'm not very happy with that. Not about him. It's okay.

Q. You started so well. What was the turning point for you?
RICHARD GASQUET: I think the second set, I have two break points. He's playing good, and after the same at 5 4, I say he's a little bit lucky with a lot of good shots, a lot of lines. That turn the match. I think I did a bad two first games in the third.
After he played very good, but I think the key was the second and the start of the third.

Q. It felt as if like in the third set you kind of let it pass to wait for the fourth. Was it like this, like it passed so fast? Was it like you wanted to let it rest for the fourth?
RICHARD GASQUET: I don't know, you know. A guy like that feeling confident, starting to be tough, that's what happen. He started to miss nothing. So I have to work on every point.
Same when you are playing big players, Nadal, Djokovic, after they are feeling confidence, it's something to be tough, but you're hopeful for the first set, and I did a bad game at 1 1. And when you are doing a bad game like that, you are finished in the match.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. As you said, there was a turnaround during the second set. Is this really when it happened? Because you got off to a really good start. And then it turned around?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, absolutely. You know, I didn't have good luck. You know, during the third set I made silly mistakes during the third set. I shouldn't have made these mistakes.
During the second set, 5 4 you know, I volleyed on the line, and then a backhand. Then when it was 5 4, I returned the ball. On the let it was difficult, and then a passing shot not far from the line, but it was 5 4 and then he played on the line.
The game was not in my favor. And then I lost my confidence, and then he was feeling good. He was in the match. He was really tough to play against. He would make no mistakes on such a big court. He was really a good fighter. It was very difficult for me.

Q. Do you have the impression that it was like a drop in your confidence between the beginning of the match when you felt you had more confidence, you were hitting each ball, and then at the end it turned completely?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah. It had changed. But, you know, he plays so well. He plays so well. You know, it's so hard if you can't win any points. The ball was not going up high, and he was playing a lot of dropshots. His returns are really good, and his serves, as well.
And then this game when we were at 4 4, this really when it hurt me.
In the beginning of the third set, as well, it was not exceptional, but I didn't have luck with me during the second set. But there's no execution. It was only a set. I should have started better during the third set.
Anyhow, he played an excellent match, and he was a better player than I was.

Q. You know, a lob dropshot and a passing dropshot, that really hurt you.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he felt he read the game. He was all over the place. He was moving around. He would never miss a hitting point. It was very tough. He was always on the court. He would return all the points.
He's got so much experience. Not easy. And he also plays better than me. You know, he's an excellent player.

Q. He touched his hip several times like it was hurting him from time to time. I had the impression between him and you it was something that was going wrong like you got angry at each other.
RICHARD GASQUET: No, I asked the umpire to check the point, you know, the mark. He said, No, you shouldn't ask the umpire to walk down the chair.
But, you know, it was that far. So this is why we argued a little.
But then, as I was saying, he was all over the place, always moving on the court. So I had the impression he was not really very much injured. He's run so much on the court. He's everywhere.

Q. Would you say that you're not happy with yourself because you lost confidence on these points when he was really lucky?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he was so lucky during the second set, so many shots, you know, not far away. He was so lucky. But then during the beginning of the third set I made a few mistakes.
But then when he gains confidence, it's really difficult, because he's a fighter, and he's always present. He always hits one time more than you, so he's really into the match, and then he plays well. He played well during the third and fourth set. It was difficult for me to have the upper hand. He was a difficult player to play against.

Q. Would you say he's like the other three best players? Is he that difficult to play against?
RICHARD GASQUET: He's No. 3, not 4, you know. He's not No. 2. He's not No. 1. I think he's slightly behind them, that's true. But he deserves being in the first top four, and he's one of the best players, that's true. He's really strong, really strong.
He's very difficult to play against, very hard.

Q. You know, what about his gesture on the court? He was showing his back was hurting, yet he was running like a rabbit, as we say. Did that bother you?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, I was not destabilized by that. I knew that. I knew it could happen. And, well, what did destabilize me is the luck he had, I mean, this is it. Well, it's these points, the break point on the line when it was 5 4, you know, these two games, and then it was difficult.
You know, he was gaining confidence. He was into the match. This is when it was really tough.
I didn't have the impression he was suffering that much. He was not injured. No, what do you think? What would you say?

Q. Here again, it's the round of 16 that you reached. However, would you say that it's a positive experience for you?
RICHARD GASQUET: Well, I wanted to do more, so I'm disappointed to stop now, round of 16. Last year it was closer than with Djokovic last year, so, okay, disappointed, I usually stop there, the round of 16, when it's a Grand Slam. It's been many, many times, but each time I play against very tough players, and they last long, they have long rallies, they don't make many mistakes, they have a lot of experience. It's difficult. It's up to me to continue.
You know, I played several good matches here. It was not easy to reach the round of 16, so I'm happy; yet disappointed, disappointed because I have to stop now.
I started well. I thought I could do better than this.

Q. By the way, what is it that you miss to go through to a higher round?
RICHARD GASQUET: Better serve, better returns of balls, to hit the ball more quickly when it bounces, and also more experience on these big matches, you see, because he was making me move.
He was really it was painful for me. Not much, I said, between him and me, yet a little difference.

Nole Rules
06-05-2012, 12:30 AM
:haha:

abraxas21
06-05-2012, 12:30 AM
no worries

richie is being more aggressive. it was clear during the match that he didn't hit the lines

Filo V.
06-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Sounds about right to me.

Freak3yman84
Cmon Gasquet! The game of tennis doesn't come down to luck! I've never really been a big fan of this guy >.<

dodo
Big deal?

Looner
06-05-2012, 12:38 AM
This is truly embarrassing and not for Murray. Gasquet, dude, this presser is MTF level.

Mercury
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
It's obvious he feels robbed but he never said anything offensive, just that a couple of shots hit the line at 5-4 and he felt unlucky because of them.

Really he should go to the gym and have a workout every now and then, maybe that'll bring him up to speed with the rest of the top 20 players.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 12:41 AM
On the three break points Gasquet got at 4-4 in the second, Murray hit two lines. The following is history.

jonas
06-05-2012, 12:43 AM
On the three break points he got at 4-4 in the second, Murray hit two lines. The following is history.

Hitting the lines is not luck. It's skill. If he would've had three straight netcords than we could talk about luck.
Besides, since when does one ball or one game decide a five setter?
And to repeat it the way Gasquet did in the presser is just classless.

thrust
06-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Cmon Gasquet! The game of tennis doesn't come down to luck! I've never really been a big fan of this guy >.<

I do not think Gasquet means luck in the way some here making it sound. He admitted that Andy was the better player and played a great match, not that Andy won because of just luck. The guy was very tired and disappointed, so was not as articulate as he could be. I think it is very unfair to make losers answer sometimes silly questions so soon after a match.

motorhead
06-05-2012, 12:48 AM

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Hitting the lines is not luck. It's skill. If he would've had three straight netcords than we could talk about luck.

Learn tennis. One point is enough to change the outcome of a match. Watch again these three break points, Murray got lucky but that's the game. Pretty sure you didn't even watch the match.

Caesar1844
06-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I can sorta see where he's coming from. He stormed to the first set, and the second one was very close. It's very frustrating when you're playing a tight match and your opponent's risk shots are hitting all the lines and yours are just missing. There IS an element of luck to that. I can definitely understand Gasquet coming out of that second set feeling like he'd played just as well as Murray, except Murray happened to get the rub of the green at a couple of key moments.

Unfortunately, he then pretty much threw in the towel after that. It was like he realised he couldn't beat Murray without a two-set buffer, and stopped trying. Piss-poor effort. Did not deserve to win in the slightest.

i.e. some key moments of the match came down to luck, but the end result didn't.

jonas
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Learn tennis. One point is enough to change the outcome of a match. Watch again these three break points, Murray got lucky but that's the game. Pretty sure you didn't even watch the match.

:haha: I've played and watched tons of more tennis than you ever will, young man. And of course I watched the match.
Hitting the line is never luck. Do you see players raise their hand in apology, 'cause they hit the line? Of course not.
Murray outclassed Gasquet - OVER FIVE SETS - and that's the point. So Richard lost the match because he failed to break at 4-4 in the second? :stupid:

thrust
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM

It is a bit of both, one does not hit lines very often, even in a 4 or 5 set match. One never knows what will turn a match around. Coming from behind to win that second set certainly gave Andy lots of confidence and extra energy, and he made the best of it

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
:haha: I've played and watched tons of more tennis than you ever will, young man. And of course I watched the match.
Hitting the line is never luck. Do you see players raise their hand in apology, 'cause they hit the line? Of course not.
Murray outclassed Gasquet - OVER FIVE SETS - and that's the point. So Richard lost the match because he failed to break at 4-4 in the second? :stupid:

You may consider this stupid but I believe Gasquet would have won the match with the break at 4-4.

And by the way, hitting the lines is not always luck or always skill. Sometimes it's skill, sometimes luck. One of the break points saved by Murray which hit the line was pure luck. Turning point. So we can consider that Murray was lucky even though saying this luck gave him the victory is also an exaggeration.

Caesar1844
06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Hitting the line is never luck.
Dude, that's just not true. Hitting for the lines is a low-percentage strategy for any player. If you pull it off numerous times at key moments in a match (which is what Murray did at 4-4) then that is by definition pretty lucky.

That doesn't mean the whole match was decided by luck, but when two players are so evenly matched (as they were in that second set) then luck is often the differentiating factor at key moments.

jonas
06-05-2012, 01:03 AM
You may consider this stupid but I believe Gasquet would have won the match with the break at 4-4.

And by the way, hitting the lines is not always luck or always skill. Sometimes it's skill, sometimes luck. One of the break points saved by Murray which hit the line was pure luck. Turning point. So we can consider that Murray was lucky even though saying this luck gave him the victory is also an exaggeration.

I agree with your second statement, not the first.

What's bother me really is Richard going on and on about Murray's "luck" in the presser. I mean, even as a fan, you can't possibly be happy with that?

jonas
06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Dude, that's just not true. Hitting for the lines is a low-percentage strategy for any player. If you pull it off numerous times at key moments in a match (which is what Murray did at 4-4) then that is by definition pretty lucky.

That doesn't mean the whole match was decided by luck, but when two players are so evenly matched (as they were in that second set) then luck is often the differentiating factor at key moments.

Fine. I withdraw that statement. I've played hundreds of matches myself, and never ever called a guy lucky 'cause he hit the line a couple of times.
Everybody gets lucky from time to time. To moan about it in the presser like Gasquet is what bothers me.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 01:07 AM
No I'm not happy with it. I would have wanted that Gasquet got the balls to play offensively during the break points. But that volley hitting the line is hard to swallow anyway. But I agree with you Gasquet presser is too easy rejecting the fault on luck.

Mountaindewslave
06-05-2012, 01:12 AM
This guy really needs to work on his fitness. Murray used to be a scrawny kid and look how he has transformed.

Murray has the talent & fitness but not the mentality.

Gasquet has the talent but no fitness or mental strength.

Nadal & Djokovic have all three. Federer also, but with more talent and less fitness.

Gasquet is just not that bad physically it's mostly in his head his problems, I agree that maybe Murray got lucky at moments, but that's part of the game, all players have lucky shots. Gasquet got to focused after the second set on how some shot were unfair and how Andy was sort of faking his injuries and let that bother him

Freak3yman84
06-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I do not think Gasquet means luck in the way some here making it sound. He admitted that Andy was the better player and played a great match, not that Andy won because of just luck. The guy was very tired and disappointed, so was not as articulate as he could be. I think it is very unfair to make losers answer sometimes silly questions so soon after a match.

Well Gasquet I'm sure has been through a boatload of these pressers, so I would think he knows how to handle them. I would agree with you about his intentions not being severe, except he mentioned Murray's luck and his own unluckiness so many times in a short amount of questions that he couldn't have meant anything else except that luck is what helped Murray win.

Orange Wombat
06-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Gasquet is apparently a very superstitious person.:apumpkin:

Jimnik
06-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Great thread title. I anticipate at least 80 replies, assuming Muzzatards start participating.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Murray's luck in the end of the 2nd is unquestionable. Don't see the deal about Gasquet stating the obvious. Bold me the part where he said he lost because Murray was very lucky, please.

paseo
06-05-2012, 01:36 AM
I don't get why a lot of professional players won't work on their fitness. If you lose, make sure it's because the other guy is playing better, not because he's fitter.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Paseo stop commenting threads about match you didn't watch, it's very annoying, thanks
Gasquet was fresh at the end, he lost because he was outplayed in the last two sets and lost his confidence after the loss of the second set. Not a fitness problem AT ALL.

whattheheck
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM
I didn't see anything wrong from his interview. Don't imagine stuff.

Mercury
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM
BTW I just remembered the ridiculous amount of lobs hitting the line in this match, there's no doubt in my mind there's a pinch of luck in that.

rocketassist
06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Hitting lines isn't luck, it's brave and it deserves credit.

Djokovic went for lines at mp down in the 2010 USO SF v Fed, and also at 40-15 mp down in 2011 (although is body language was this is done) you can't say they were lucky, they're taking a risk and it paid off.

Gasquet mentally just didn't believe after set 2. He had a chance in that 4-4 game but he wasn't proactive enough to get the first strike in. The only luck Murray had was when Gasquet DF'ed the set away. Murray's W-UE stats were 17-10 and Gasquet's were 12-10 in set 2. Positive statistics. No luck.

MuzzahLovah
06-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Eh, I think Gasquet was more upset with how well Andy was playing in the final too sets, not because of Murray's back touching but more because there wasn't much he could do at that point. Even if he had the luck and got a the break point, Murray could have broken him the next game(and probably would have, given how great a returner he is and how non-clutch Richie is) and even if he lost the second set Murray could have still comeback in 5 like he's done before against Richie. But I don't think this is that rude, tone gets lost in translation.

shiaben
06-05-2012, 01:58 AM
lmao get a grip Gasquet.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Hitting lines isn't luck, it's brave and it deserves credit.

Depends how you hit it. Sometimes luck, sometimes skill. In Murray's case, he saved one of the break points at 4-4 on pure luck. :shrug: That wouldn't mean Richie would have won the match obviously.

MuzzahLovah
06-05-2012, 01:59 AM
I don't get why a lot of professional players won't work on their fitness. If you lose, make sure it's because the other guy is playing better, not because he's fitter.

Gasquet at 100% still wouldn't have won the last two sets. Unless you are Nadal you can't win against Murray 10ft behind the baseline.

paseo
06-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Paseo stop commenting threads about match you didn't watch, it's very annoying, thanks
Gasquet was fresh at the end, he lost because he was outplayed in the last two sets and lost his confidence after the loss of the second set. Not a fitness problem AT ALL.

Well, excuse me. I did stop watching after the 2nd set. I was rooting for Gasquet, and thought that he needed that 2nd set to win the match. I stopped watching feeling confident that Murray was gonna take it due to his fitness. Just correct me if I'm wrong. I'll accept it.

And please remember, until the mods ban me, I'll post whatever, where ever, and whenever I like. If you find it annoying, then don't read it. Okay? You're welcome.

leng jai
06-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Gasquet has shit fitness and prone to losing easily after he thinks he can't win. How many times has he been destroyed by top players after being competitive against top players for the first half of the match? Happens a lot. Sometimes he throws out a big performance but more often than not he doesn't.

As for the press conference he's right. There is always an element of luck and skill when hitting the line. If you hit the line on a shot you invariably lucky because it means it was extremely close to being out, There is no player in the world who can aim their shot right on the line and make it consistently. Even so, it is a bit rich to call someone lucky because they hit the line on a few shots unless it was a complete shank.

Corey Feldman
06-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Gasqy very bitter today, could tell by his handshake

he's a cop out player and always has been, not one ounce of Champion spirit about him and those kinda comments and antics just show it again.

abraxas21
06-05-2012, 02:31 AM
murray haters are hilarious

when he doesn't go for winners he's a mug "pusher"

when he does, it's just "luck"

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 02:49 AM
Gasquet has shit fitness and prone to losing easily after he thinks he can't win. How many times has he been destroyed by top players after being competitive against top players for the first half of the match? Happens a lot. Sometimes he throws out a big performance but more often than not he doesn't.

As for the press conference he's right. There is always an element of luck and skill when hitting the line. If you hit the line on a shot you invariably lucky because it means it was extremely close to being out, There is no player in the world who can aim their shot right on the line and make it consistently. Even so, it is a bit rich to call someone lucky because they hit the line on a few shots unless it was a complete shank.

I repeat again, fitness issue are unrelated with his loss today.

The art of gross generalization.

Johnny Groove
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm a fan of the guy, but poor form from Richard here. I didn't see the match, but apparently Murray hit some shots on the line down break point? :scratch:

That is not luck, it is skill. A real player in a match, mentally right there, has already put the shot out of his mind and focused on deuce. Gasquet? Apparently DF's the set away, and goes away meekly in the final 2 sets.

The only thing that happened here was that Gasquet was mentally weaker than Murray, and that decided the match. Since Grassquet saying physically Richie was ok, then it had to be mental.

But then to mention in a press conference? That is where it goes Bush League, very amateur from Gasquet.

leng jai
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
I repeat again, fitness issue are unrelated with his loss today.

The art of gross generalization.

I didn't say he was fatigued today. Doesn't change the fact he has shit fitness. It's not always about being tired either, his game could benefit from improved physique even from the first point.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 03:03 AM
I didn't say he was fatigued today. Doesn't change the fact he has shit fitness. It's not always about being tired either, his game could benefit from improved physique even from the first point.

Not that shit since last year. Impressive improvement on this aspect.
Of course, an improved physique could be beneficial for his game, it's true for all the players but it's more about power than fitness in my opinion.

Why did he lose today?

Three aspects:

1- Poor handling (too passive on BP at 4-4, DF on set point)+ bad luck in the end of the 2nd set.
2- Mental deficiency from the third set: he lost his confidence. Unable to be clutch just after the bad set loss.
3- Murray awesomeness: just brilliant form the Scot from the third set.

leng jai
06-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Again I never said he lost cause of fatigue.

Yeah I didn't watch the last two sets but you can tell what transpired in the last 2 sets when you look at the scoreline and who was playing. Murray had good stats though so he was obviously playing well. Wouldn't be surprised if Gasquet dropped his level significantly and let Murray do whatever he wanted. Same deal as what Haas did in the previous match (though he may have been genuinely fatigued there).

Ashlar77
06-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Oh Richie :rolleyes: :stupid:

Caesar1844
06-05-2012, 03:35 AM
I didn't see the match
Then GTFO.

Regenbogen
06-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Murray was lucky when Gasquet double-faulted too, if you want to look at it like that. :shrug: There's some luck involved in everything, that's a part of sport. I don't disagree with Gasquet but going on about it is a bit silly.

Alex999
06-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Leng is right. Richie really needs to do something about his fitness. Get that magic egg from Djokovic, whatever. Gasquet is very talented, one of my favorite players but talent is not good enough ... Murray did play a really good match but I'm tired of Gasquet being so casual ... I'm not saying he didn't try, but still ... when I saw Gasquet, Murray and Djokovic for the fist time I actually fell in love with Richie and I thought he would win many slams etc. The thing with Nole is, I love his goofiness ... so I became a fan then he managed to win 5 slams (good for me, lol).

MuzzahLovah
06-05-2012, 04:24 AM

Yeah I know. They are relentless and when he cleans the lines it's all down to luck I mean wtf. Where else is there to hit the ball?

Clay Death
06-05-2012, 04:42 AM
gasquet probably didnt mean it. he is a classy chap on the average.

Shinoj
06-05-2012, 06:02 AM
There was no Fitness issues for Gasquet. He was plainly inferior to a Superior Player. That is all. Murray gave him a Tennis Clinic.

henke007
06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Murray was lucky with several lines when Gasquet had bp.s to 5-4 in the 2nd VERY important points for the outcome of the match. Not said that Richie wouldn't have choked serving out the 2nd set though.

Gaschoke folding like a cheap tent for the rest of the match is his own fault..

gulzhan
06-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Normal interview. The OP is clearly biased.

Kworb
06-05-2012, 06:45 AM
It's not bad at all when you bold other parts of the presser :shrug:

Transcript of Richard Gasquet interview
Monday, June 4, 2012

Q. You started very well. He finished very well. Can you talk us through the match from your point of view?
RICHARD GASQUET: I start better than the finish, for sure, the finish. 6 2, not incredible, but, yeah, I start well. I played well. It was tense. Yeah, I start well, I start well.
But after I think the key was the second set. Playing good. I was feeling confident. No, he's a big player. Some points he can turn the match, because he's doing everything good. You have to work on every point.
He's serving well, returning well, he's clear in the court. That's the problem.
If I'm not lucky in the second set, I have two break points, he's playing well, and I'm not lucky with this game, even the same at 5 4. But I think I can play better in the start of the third.
But after I start when he's feeling confident, he has a lot of experience, and so after he play very well.

Q. The handshake at the end didn't seem very warm. Were you a bit unhappy with him kind of feeling his body?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, because I lost. I'm not very happy with that. Not about him. It's okay.

Q. You started so well. What was the turning point for you?
RICHARD GASQUET: I think the second set, I have two break points. He's playing good, and after the same at 5 4, I say he's a little bit lucky with a lot of good shots, a lot of lines. That turn the match. I think I did a bad two first games in the third.
After he played very good, but I think the key was the second and the start of the third.

Q. It felt as if like in the third set you kind of let it pass to wait for the fourth. Was it like this, like it passed so fast? Was it like you wanted to let it rest for the fourth?
RICHARD GASQUET: I don't know, you know. A guy like that feeling confident, starting to be tough, that's what happen. He started to miss nothing. So I have to work on every point.
Same when you are playing big players, Nadal, Djokovic, after they are feeling confidence, it's something to be tough, but you're hopeful for the first set, and I did a bad game at 1 1. And when you are doing a bad game like that, you are finished in the match.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. As you said, there was a turnaround during the second set. Is this really when it happened? Because you got off to a really good start. And then it turned around?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, absolutely. You know, I didn't have good luck. You know, during the third set I made silly mistakes during the third set. I shouldn't have made these mistakes.
During the second set, 5 4 you know, I volleyed on the line, and then a backhand. Then when it was 5 4, I returned the ball. On the let it was difficult, and then a passing shot not far from the line, but it was 5 4 and then he played on the line.
The game was not in my favor. And then I lost my confidence, and then he was feeling good. He was in the match. He was really tough to play against. He would make no mistakes on such a big court. He was really a good fighter. It was very difficult for me.

Q. Do you have the impression that it was like a drop in your confidence between the beginning of the match when you felt you had more confidence, you were hitting each ball, and then at the end it turned completely?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah. It had changed. But, you know, he plays so well. He plays so well. You know, it's so hard if you can't win any points. The ball was not going up high, and he was playing a lot of dropshots. His returns are really good, and his serves, as well.
And then this game when we were at 4 4, this really when it hurt me.
In the beginning of the third set, as well, it was not exceptional, but I didn't have luck with me during the second set. But there's no execution. It was only a set. I should have started better during the third set.
Anyhow, he played an excellent match, and he was a better player than I was.

Q. You know, a lob dropshot and a passing dropshot, that really hurt you.
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he felt he read the game. He was all over the place. He was moving around. He would never miss a hitting point. It was very tough. He was always on the court. He would return all the points.
He's got so much experience. Not easy. And he also plays better than me. You know, he's an excellent player.

Q. He touched his hip several times like it was hurting him from time to time. I had the impression between him and you it was something that was going wrong like you got angry at each other.
RICHARD GASQUET: No, I asked the umpire to check the point, you know, the mark. He said, No, you shouldn't ask the umpire to walk down the chair.
But, you know, it was that far. So this is why we argued a little.
But then, as I was saying, he was all over the place, always moving on the court. So I had the impression he was not really very much injured. He's run so much on the court. He's everywhere.

Q. Would you say that you're not happy with yourself because you lost confidence on these points when he was really lucky?
RICHARD GASQUET: Yeah, he was so lucky during the second set, so many shots, you know, not far away. He was so lucky. But then during the beginning of the third set I made a few mistakes.
But then when he gains confidence, it's really difficult, because he's a fighter, and he's always present. He always hits one time more than you, so he's really into the match, and then he plays well. He played well during the third and fourth set. It was difficult for me to have the upper hand. He was a difficult player to play against.

Q. Would you say he's like the other three best players? Is he that difficult to play against?
RICHARD GASQUET: He's No. 3, not 4, you know. He's not No. 2. He's not No. 1. I think he's slightly behind them, that's true. But he deserves being in the first top four, and he's one of the best players, that's true. He's really strong, really strong.
He's very difficult to play against, very hard.

Q. You know, what about his gesture on the court? He was showing his back was hurting, yet he was running like a rabbit, as we say. Did that bother you?
RICHARD GASQUET: No, I was not destabilized by that. I knew that. I knew it could happen. And, well, what did destabilize me is the luck he had, I mean, this is it. Well, it's these points, the break point on the line when it was 5 4, you know, these two games, and then it was difficult.
You know, he was gaining confidence. He was into the match. This is when it was really tough.
I didn't have the impression he was suffering that much. He was not injured. No, what do you think? What would you say?

Q. Here again, it's the round of 16 that you reached. However, would you say that it's a positive experience for you?
RICHARD GASQUET: Well, I wanted to do more, so I'm disappointed to stop now, round of 16. Last year it was closer than with Djokovic last year, so, okay, disappointed, I usually stop there, the round of 16, when it's a Grand Slam. It's been many, many times, but each time I play against very tough players, and they last long, they have long rallies, they don't make many mistakes, they have a lot of experience. It's difficult. It's up to me to continue.
You know, I played several good matches here. It was not easy to reach the round of 16, so I'm happy; yet disappointed, disappointed because I have to stop now.
I started well. I thought I could do better than this.

Q. By the way, what is it that you miss to go through to a higher round?
RICHARD GASQUET: Better serve, better returns of balls, to hit the ball more quickly when it bounces, and also more experience on these big matches, you see, because he was making me move.
He was really it was painful for me. Not much, I said, between him and me, yet a little difference.

Dr.Slice
06-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Ritchie boy is lucky that he is even allowed to play tennis these days

duong
06-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Murray was in the "zone" in last two sets, and I think that can be called as "lucky".

But if there's one player who shouldn't complain about other players being in the "zone", it's Gasquet, who is really a different player when he's in that situation. He also was in the zone against Murray in first 2-3 sets of 2010 : he just put his racket on return and it was a great shot, I remember :lol:

Sunset of Age
06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
A player getting bashed for a - perhaps - slightly - awkwardly worded presser. MTF never fails to deliver! :bowdown:

The guy is disappointed and perhaps a bit tired. Doesn't even want to go to these press meetings, but is obliged to. I guess certain posters over here only want to read pressers where the loser says nothing else than "he's the greatest, I'm a loser" - perhaps the same posters who complain about players being too PC most of the time?
Give the fellow a break. Luck *is* a part of the game.

No, I'm not a Gasquet fan, and yes, I did see the match.

r3d_d3v1l_
06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Murray was lucky because he was agressive and took his chances. That´s what a winner does.

A loser stays in the shadow waiting for the opportunity that may never come. That´s what you did Gasquet and that´s why you lost.

And i ain´t a Gasquet hater, but the man needs to grow some balls and play big tennis in crunch time. He didn´t do it, he lost. That has nothing to do with luck.

TigerTim
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Murray hit 52 winners in 32 games. I don't call that luck. Gasquet :o

VolandriFan
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree that what he said is ungracious, but luck does come into the equation when you're playing aggressively and going for the lines. No matter how much skill you have, aiming for the lines is always a gamble.

Sunset of Age
06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree that what he said is ungracious, but luck does come into the equation when you're playing aggressively and going for the lines. No matter how much skill you have, aiming for the lines is always a gamble.

Yep. If it were merely a matter of skil, the top players would never ever miss...

duong
06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
A player getting bashed for a - perhaps - slightly - awkwardly worded presser. MTF never fails to deliver! :bowdown:

The guy is disappointed and perhaps a bit tired. Doesn't even want to go to these press meetings, but is obliged to. I guess certain posters over here only want to read pressers where the loser says nothing else than "he's the greatest, I'm a loser" - perhaps the same posters who complain about players being too PC most of the time?
Give the fellow a break. Luck *is* a part of the game.

No, I'm not a Gasquet fan, and yes, I did see the match.

However, Gasquet usually takes no risks at all in his pressers.

Here he's more sincere and you can hear what you generally hear from him when he's sincere : immaturity, weakness, even selfishness.

Gasquet is not bad but he's not an angel either as some sometimes see him because he looks very young, etc ...

I've defended him a lot in the drug case where I was really convinced he was innocent and the trial confirmed it.

But I never had a good impression about what he showed of his personality.

green25814
06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I dunno, this presser seems very complimentary of Murray to me. Yeah he says he had some luck here and there, but he's also pretty generous IMO.

OP exaggerating. I'd like Richard to have a more aggressive personality anyway. The big problem can be seen in this interview, where he seems to believe that after the second set he had no chance because he was against a top player. That is loser thinking.

Gasquet tries to dictate points from ten feet behind the baseline. This is awful strategy, and makes no sense for him. I know that he needs time to set up his backhand, but how is he ever going to dictate points from that far back? He needs to come in and use that volley more too. And hit those freaking overheads.

tennishero
06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
nothing new really, luckrray is the luckiest player on tour.

i mean look no further than his last match vs nalbandian.

the fact he made it to 3 GSM finals but never won a set shows you how much he's overachieved in his lucky career.

/puts on murraytard shield

jonas
06-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Normal interview. The OP is clearly biased.

Nope. Not a Gasquet-hater nor a Murray-fan. Just disgusted with his comments. Richard checked out mentally in the match and Murray ran all over him.
To moan about luck in the presser is just hilarious.

green25814
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM

the fact he made it to 3 GSM finals but never won a set shows you how much he's overachieved in his lucky career.

We get it. Stop trying to troll Sapeod, he's just a kid.

tennishero
06-05-2012, 10:12 AM
im surprised gasquet didnt mention murray's back grabbing, as it clearly caused a reaction from him and the crowd a few times, particularly near the end of the second set.

GOAT = Fed
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Lol, every sentence he's going on about luck. From what I saw, in the first set Murray's level was below par his usual and Gasquet was playing a good match, after the first set, Murray turned up and basically blew away Gasquet, whose level went down.

Puschkin
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I want to see the French original, as I am not sure if "luck" is the word Richard really used that often, or maybe in English only, he is not a native speaker after all. I saw parts of oral interviews where he used "réussite", which transcribes as "Murray had success" or "I had no success". For those who speak German "gelingen" is the best translation.

In this French interview, there is "réussite" four times, and "chance" only once.

http://www.welovetennis.fr/roland-garros/50148-gasquet-je-pouvais-aller-plus-loin

decrepitude
06-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I would give Richie the benefit of the doubt regarding the "luck" remarks, it could well be problems with English. What I find amusing is all the furore on here about Andy touching his back (as though he isn't always grabbing at something during matches) - I note Gasquet is asked about that in his presser and says it didn't affect him at all. Nor should it. His task is to take care of his own side of the net, and he admits he didn't do that.

duong
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I want to see the French original, as I am not sure if "luck" is the word Richard really used that often, or maybe in English only, he is not a native speaker after all. I saw parts of oral interviews where he used "réussite", which transcribes as "Murray had success" or "I had no success". For those who speak German "gelingen" is the best translation.

In this French interview, there is "réussite" four times, and "chance" only once.

http://www.welovetennis.fr/roland-garros/50148-gasquet-je-pouvais-aller-plus-loin

in French, "réussite" means in the meantime luck and success, but it means more luck than success, or in a way "luck which leads to success".

(I precise because I know you're not French)

It seems that Gasquet speaks especially of when he had breakpoints in the end of second set, and it's true that Murray was lucky to hit the lines at that moment.

Of course there's luck involved in tennis as Volandrifan said, I don't understand those refusing that :shrug:

Puschkin
06-05-2012, 10:37 AM
in French, "réussite" means in the meantime luck and success, but more luck than success, or in a way "luck which leads to success".

(I precise because I know you're not French)

Thanks for this precision, though my dictionary doesn't have the luck connotation. But I still think it was worthwhile noting that he did not speak about pure luck.

duong
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for this precision, but I still think it was worthwhile noting that he did not speak about pure luck.

yes, also the word "réussite" involves that you're going for it actually, there's a part of yourself involved, I forgot to precise that.

Hian-GOAT
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg633/FORZAPENNETTA/bye-bitch.gif

Puschkin
06-05-2012, 10:42 AM
yes, also the word "réussite" involves that you're going for it actually, I forgot to precise that.
There is not doubt that Murray was going for it, I never questioned that he was the better player yesterday. Richard is a lot of things, but he is not a sour loser, as the OP indicated, that's all.

Allez
06-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Lost in translation...though that handshake has got me wondering :unsure:

Singularity
06-05-2012, 10:54 AM
It find it funny that Gasquet's point seems to be that Murray's luck on those few points is what decided the match, because it caused Gasquet to lose confidence and let Murray back in. That was something that Gasquet did, not Murray. Why can't he just fight in a third or fourth set? Momentum almost never goes your way all the time in a match, and if you're just going to give up at the first setback, then you'll never amount to anything.

After the second set it was 1-1. There was plenty of opportunity for Gasquet to come back, if he had the self belief.

Allez
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
That's it. He needs to accept full responsibility for letting his confidence slip instead of blaming external factors otherwise he will forever be at the mercy of things outside his control.

Mercury
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Man this is not worth a thread, let alone a 6 page one. Guess what, Gasquet is just a guy. He was pissed off after losing a pretty big match on his own court and didn't even say anything that awful. Just a bit bitter maybe and already it's a 6 page thread about "Cry baby Gasquet".

Give the man a break will ya. this wasn't even worth mentioning.

leng jai
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
6 pages is nothing.

Allez
06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
What do you mean Gasquet is a guy ? What has that to do with anything :shrug:

Mercury
06-05-2012, 11:07 AM
What do you mean Gasquet is a guy ? What has that to do with anything :shrug:
Forgot the "just". As in you and me and anyone else :/

Vida
06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
not much of a sore loser attitude in this interview, imo.

LocoPorElTenis
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Even if you accept the (ridiculous) theory that Murray won the second set out of sheer luck, at that point the match was one set all, and yet Gascoke folded like a cheap tent.

Boarder35m
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
When I see this thread, I am really happy that I´m no professional tennis player, who has to be a perfect person.
If you read the interview you can see that he gives a lot of credit to Murray, yet he also speaks about luck if balls played closed to the lines hit the line (from Murray) or go out (from him).

I´m not sure if it´s really the fitness that´s not enough or rather his body. When I see Gasquet I always feel like there is something wrong in his upper body/lower body ratio. Compared to his upper body his lower body seems to small. So his average steps are shorter than from other players of the same hight.

Does anyhave have data about his body stats, in comparison to other players?

Nole fan
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM

That's true. But other than that I don't see what is classless about his presser. He says more or less what most players say after a loss. :shrug:

paseo
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/04/article-2154520-1372C31F000005DC-26_634x428.jpg

Commander Data
06-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
This thread is an amount of pure shit. The OP is acting like a connoisseur of tennis but came up with such a thread, embarrassing guy. All of you bashing Gasquet, you just showed how totally stupid you are.People accusing the fitness of Gasquet, you just showed that you didn't see the match.
I blame Gasquet for fading away in the last two sets. Not for this presser. Not for this handshake because Murray back grabbing attitude was totally incorrect.

Kworb
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Lost in translation...though that handshake has got me wondering :unsure:

You can simply read the presser :shrug:

TigerTim
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I though Muzza and Richy get on :confused: they often hit together etc etc

duong
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
When I see this thread, I am really happy that I´m no professional tennis player, who has to be a perfect person.

yes I often think that reading the web and the journalists who agitate the bubble :lol:

Lost in translation...

no I don't want to be misunderstood : the translation by "luck" lacks a little bit of subtlety but is overall correct.

Even if you accept the (ridiculous) theory that Murray won the second set out of sheer luck, at that point the match was one set all, and yet Gascoke folded like a cheap tent.

no he didn't fold like a cheap tent : Murray just started playing amazing tennis :worship: a level Gasquet couldn't reach anyway.

duong
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I though Muzza and Richy get on :confused: they often hit together etc etc

if you watch Murray's face during the match and even at the handshake, you can see the "boxing match vibe" he felt, which Scoobs fairly described, and it's seldom that at the end of a boxing match, and when they reach that "I want to hurt you bad" feeling which Murray felt, they feel like hugging each other :lol:

alter ego
06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Shank, netcord, Gasquet smash just out. Murray's back in the game.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LJMh89tYGY8/T84Hjmie9iI/AAAAAAAAACc/85JC0zu4aEU/s1600/rtg.gif

Howard
06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
This is just another chickenshit copout on Richie's part. Even if Murray was lucky, that's no reason to fold like a cheap tent as Gasquet did. Winners look for ways to win, losers look for excuses to lose.

philosophicalarf
06-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Gasquet was lucky Murray couldn't hit a routine forehand over the net in the first set.

Schu
06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Amazing how many people on MTF can't read. This was not a " chickenshit copout" in the interview. He said Murray was the better player, so good, etc. - several times and he admitted that he made mistakes at important times!!!! And he even dismissed Murray's, academy award performance.

The margin of error for hitting a ball on the line or just missing it is minute - Murray made several at important points and Gasquet missed several - so call it what you want, it certainly wasn't all skill and mental fortitude, if so, the top pros would hit those lines a lot more often that they do. But haters are gonna hate...

About the fitness. Gasquet's body type is never going to look like Nadal or even Murray. Gasquet IS stronger and bigger in his upper body and does have MUCH more stamina than he did several years ago. He obviously has been working on his fitness and his fitness had NOTHING to do with loosing this match or many recent matches. If you want to crticize Gasquet at least come up with something valid -like his "mental fitness".

Sapeod
06-05-2012, 03:37 PM
On the three break points Gasquet got at 4-4 in the second, Murray hit two lines. The following is history.
Enjoy the ownage Murray gave to Gasquet yesterday? :wavey:

Gasquet is just being a sore loser. It's not Murray's fault he's better than Gasquet and hits the lines a lot. Murray was too good, he didn't stand a chance.

Murray is a superior player to Gasquet and that's why he was hitting lines constantly, hitting winners from everywhere, defending amazingly while Gasquet was left in the dirt like a little bitch.

Sapeod
06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
This thread is an amount of pure shit. The OP is acting like a connoisseur of tennis but came up with such a thread, embarrassing guy. All of you bashing Gasquet, you just showed how totally stupid you are.People accusing the fitness of Gasquet, you just showed that you didn't see the match.
I blame Gasquet for fading away in the last two sets. Not for this presser. Not for this handshake because Murray back grabbing attitude was totally incorrect.
More whining from you as expected. I thought Gasquet (or Haas :spit:) was supposed to beat Murray? :lol:

Murray was grabbing his back because that's what he does in every match. Even Courier said it: every player should know that Murray grabs parts of his body randomly, even when healthy and winning. When Murray gets the trainer out, then you know something's wrong. Him grabbing something? Nah, that's just what he does.

If that affects Gasquet so badly then the guy is a pathetic little bitch.

philosophicalarf
06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Yup, fitness wasn't an issue here. People remember 2010 Gasquet vs Murray, but that was totally different. That was five sets, and long ones too (6-1 doesn't take much energy!). The first three sets of that alone were 33 games, while the whole match yesterday was 32 games.

Most importantly, in 2010 Gasquet had played a ton of tennis beforehand - he was in the Nice final two days before, the Bordeaux final the week before that, and played Belgrade before that.

TigerTim
06-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Gasquet was left in the dirt like a little bitch.

:lol: owned

Gorre
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM

:lol: Looks like you're not a fan of Murray :)

Hian-GOAT
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg633/FORZAPENNETTA/snow-white.gif

Matt01
06-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Didn't see the match but after seeing the pic of the handshake and reading the transcript of the intervirew it seems to me that Richie a pathetic sore loser. :no:

Clydey
06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
if you watch Murray's face during the match and even at the handshake, you can see the "boxing match vibe" he felt, which Scoobs fairly described, and it's seldom that at the end of a boxing match, and when they reach that "I want to hurt you bad" feeling which Murray felt, they feel like hugging each other :lol:

That's actually not true. In boxing and MMA, the reverse is true at the end of a fight. Plenty of hugging going on.

All that said, this has been blown out of proportion. I don't think Gasquet was being bitter, but merely lamenting the fact that the inches didn't go in his favour this time.

juvvi
06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Pathetic. If you bothered to read the entire interview, he was only praising Murray court presence and that he was unlucky on a few points. Picking up two lines in an interview to mock Gasquet is sad.

juvvi
06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Didn't see the match but after seeing the pic of the handshake and reading the transcript of the intervirew it seems to me that Richie a pathetic sore loser. :no:

and you are an idiot with comprehension issues.

Matt01
06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Pathetic. If you bothered to read the entire interview, he was only praising Murray court presence and that he was unlucky on a few points. Picking up two lines in an interview to mock Gasquet is sad.

And if you had bothered the entire interview you would have noticed that it was more than two lines.

Seems that you have some serious compehension issues but I won't insult you because I'm not stooping to your level. :)

mickymouse
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
He's not wrong to say that from what I saw of the match. Murray played well but there were a few lobs that really got in by luck. One of them I remember was of him chasing a ball right to the edge where the plants were and he just hit it back without even looking and it landed in. If that's not luck, I don't know what is. People need to stop picking a quote and making it seem like it is the gist of the interview.

delboy
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
much better player won, coke is just bitter

PoorMan'sDavy
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Honestly, this reads to me like Gasquet was hungry to win this match and was naturally disappointed it did not go his way. He credits Murray over and over for being a difficult opponent and points out that Murray was fortunate to hit the lines on some shots. No drama here.

spencercarlos
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
No I'm not happy with it. I would have wanted that Gasquet got the balls to play offensively during the break points. But that volley hitting the line is hard to swallow anyway. But I agree with you Gasquet presser is too easy rejecting the fault on luck.
What is so hard to swallow? balls on the line please? :rolleyes:
He was up a set and with break points to serve for it, everything on his favor.

Its not like Murray hit multiple netcords to blame the luck.

Cry baby this Gasquet.

What counts is that Murray shit.ed all over him the rest of the match. Winners from everywhere.

SheepleBuster
06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Go fuck yourself Gascoke. Even if you went 2 sets and a break up you would still fucking lose. You're an overrated clown and Murray is a far superior player than you in every department!

That actually did happen at Wimbledon, no? :D

silverwhite
06-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Murray had some luck, yes, but he has himself to blame too for folding like a cheap tent after not breaking at 4-4. I mean, DF on SP? :help:

Modetopia
06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
oh dear...

Sapeod
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/04/article-2154520-1372C31F000005DC-26_634x428.jpg
What a pathetic, whiny, little baby :haha:

Jimnik
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Too shy to flirt with Andy's pretty eyes.

Sofonda Cox
06-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Gasquet is right.

Sofonda Cox
06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Seems that you have some serious compehension issues but I won't insult you because I'm not stooping to your level. :)

I imagine it's hard to go lower for you anyhow.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Sapeod is the most stupid person I have ever met.

Geo
06-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Gasquet is such a joke :lol: Maybe this bitchy attitude will fire him up for their next match though :shrug:

NadalSharapova
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
gasquet is a clown, he got destroyed. no luck in that.

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
How does it feels?

NadalSharapova
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
hitting the line is being precise and accurate, not luck you dumb twat. Gasquet sounds like someone with an IQ of 20 max

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Shank+Netcord is precision and accuracy ?

fast_clay
06-05-2012, 11:17 PM
All that said, this has been blown out of proportion. I don't think Gasquet was being bitter, but merely lamenting the fact that the inches didn't go in his favour this time.

yep... move along... nothing to see here

sportstennis
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
lol