Should more time be taken to compose the entry lists of the slams? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should more time be taken to compose the entry lists of the slams?

misty1
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
The french open and wimbledon are only 2 weeks apart, they are the 2 grand slams that are the closest together and because of the entry list for wimbledon being made when it is it doesnt take into account how the rankings might change for wimbledon. Players that would normally get direct entry if they have a strong french open have to play qualies or hope for a wild card into wimbledon

the australian and the french are 14 weeks apart

wimbledon and US open are 8 weeks apart

So my question is should the entry list for wimbledon be made after The french open is over or maybe should the entry lists for all the grand slams be made later than they are?

Sonja1989
06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
No.

It happened with Kubot last year too and I think if a player has that good form, he can get easily into MD by winning qualy matches. Of course I know the pressure is a deciding factor as well but honestly, every entry list is out 6 weeks before the tournament, Wimby can't be an exception.

mooncreek
06-04-2012, 11:44 PM
While I agree that there shouldn't be an exception regarding the cut-off, it would make sense for Wimbledon to use WCs on players who would easily qualify with their post-FO ranking. They should have with Kubot last year.

Haas and Goffin are the two (not counting borderline ranking) who have that issue this year.

AnotherGameFor
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
So Wimbledon should go out of its way to incorporate CLAY results in choosing the entry list? It would make more sense if they just ignored clay results completely...

Filo V.
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
I think that the only way to solve this issue would be to change the schedule.

Mountaindewslave
06-05-2012, 12:46 AM
I think that the only way to solve this issue would be to change the schedule.

i agree that is the best way to handle it, there shouldn't such a valuable tournament so close to another valuable tournament that it entirely ignores one of the biggest results of the season as far as benefits of getting into the draw

Looner
06-05-2012, 01:03 AM
I was thinking about this. For the 6-week entry rule stay in place, Wimbledon will have to move 2 weeks back and RG move 2 weeks earlier. Hard to see how that'd happen.

misty1
06-05-2012, 01:23 AM
I was thinking about this. For the 6-week entry rule stay in place, Wimbledon will have to move 2 weeks back and RG move 2 weeks earlier. Hard to see how that'd happen.

why would that be such a stretch? there's a ton of time in between the 2 so there's space to work with.

Snowwy
06-05-2012, 01:25 AM
But it works the other way too, if you are ranked 88 before Roland Garros, you get into RG and Wimbledon even if your ranking after RG is 115, so really it balances, one year you miss and the next year you make it undeservedly.

dencod16
06-05-2012, 02:02 AM
While I agree that there shouldn't be an exception regarding the cut-off, it would make sense for Wimbledon to use WCs on players who would easily qualify with their post-FO ranking. They should have with Kubot last year.

Haas and Goffin are the two (not counting borderline ranking) who have that issue this year.

Well considering Wimbledon is very unorthodox, they may just to that. They have a habit of players that may reach deep that giving to their own that may not do anything.

leng jai
06-05-2012, 03:15 AM
But it works the other way too, if you are ranked 88 before Roland Garros, you get into RG and Wimbledon even if your ranking after RG is 115, so really it balances, one year you miss and the next year you make it undeservedly.

I fail to see how this makes it okay. It makes it even worse actually.

Johnny Groove
06-05-2012, 03:36 AM
6 weeks is too much.

4 would be more fair.

156mphserve
06-05-2012, 04:45 AM
I think they should make the entry lists 3 years in adavnce

Action Jackson
06-05-2012, 05:41 AM
No, the OP is just worried about Goffin not getting into Wimbledon.

Kworb
06-05-2012, 09:19 AM
So Wimbledon should go out of its way to incorporate CLAY results in choosing the entry list? It would make more sense if they just ignored clay results completely...

10+ years ago yes it would be strange but now, Wimbledon and RG are practically the same surface, so yes it makes sense to incorporate clay results.

Time Violation
06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
No, the OP is just worried about Goffin not getting into Wimbledon.

Exposing posters 24/7 :lol:

Li Ching Yuen
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
The BBC are a bunch of morons for not allowing the scheduling of Wimbledon change to a proper time of the summer, also perhaps permitting the development of a an actual grass court season with it.

Also this thread is part of the near-slam customary series of "wah wah my favorite players are in danger of not making the cut".

Sonja1989
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
misty1, if I know well you like Petzschner, then he wouldn't be on entry list. Snowwy says something. ;)

emotion
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah, it's too long before. Idk if Wimby will spend WC on Haas and Goffin either, Hewitt is certain and probably Ward

Sonja1989
06-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Anyway last year lot of players got a WC who would have had a good seeding in qualy draw. I think Wimby gives the best WCs.

Action Jackson
06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Wimbledon once they finish with the local wildcards, they will add next player in though Hewitt will get one.

Action Jackson
06-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Exposing posters 24/7 :lol:

Not really, it's pretty obvious in this case.

leng jai
06-06-2012, 07:05 AM
I was going to make this thread for my love.