Favourite year of tennis between 2008-2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favourite year of tennis between 2008-2011

JoWillyTso
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I was wondering what everybody's favourite year in tennis was: 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011? Was it the THAT match at Wimbledon and Tsonga's demolition of Rafa in 2008 that did it for you, the unpredictability of 2009 in the slams, 2010 (shite year) or Novaks greatest year in tennis in 2011?

I would say I enjoyed 2009 most because it had a solid top 10 and the 4 grand slams were the 4 best in recent years. Verdasco 2.0 emerging in Australian Open and playing his best ever match against Nadal and the way Nadal came back after his marathon to beat Federer. Federer completing his CGS and Soderling emerging as a genuine threat. Then at Wimbledon Roddick played the match of his life at Wimbledon and then Del Potro getting his slam at the USO.

What about you?

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
2009 by far.

AO - Rafa finally beating Federer in a hardcourt Slam; Verdasco breaking through and playing that awesome match against Rafa in the semis.

RG - Soderling stunning the world, taking out Rafa and making the finals; Federer finally completing the career Grand Slam.

W - Last stand of the New Balls generation; Roddick, Hewitt, Haas, Ferrero all in the last 8 (and Federer of course); Roddick's last big run and heartbreak in the final; Federer breaking the Slam record; Karlovic literally serving Tsonga and Verdasco off the court.

USO - Del Potro dethroning Federer under the lights in New York, after crushing Nadal in the semis; breakthrough run for Cilic.

WTF - Only final of a big event since 2005 AO with no member of the current top 3. Davydenko finally getting a big title; best WTF group ever with Federer, Del Potro, Murray and Verdasco - all matches went 3 sets, Murray out by one game.

Djokovic and Murray underperformed at Slams but still finished ahead of Del Potro in the rankings due to their fantastic Masters performances. They dominated the Masters circuit (apart from clay, where Nadal ruled).

Only top 10 member without a memorable GS/WTF run was Tsonga, who still had that amazing and memorable win over Federer in Montreal from 1-5 down in the 3rd.

Just an awesome year all around, my favorite year in tennis. Only thing that could have made it better was Roddick winning Wimbledon, also because we'd have had 4 different Slam winners.

JoWillyTso
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Crap I completely forgot about Davydenko. But that just adds to the stregtgh of that year. Gutted Davy couldn't beat Federer at 2010 Australian Open though.

TigerTim
06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
2009 by far.

AO - Rafa finally beating Federer in a hardcourt Slam; Verdasco breaking through and playing that awesome match against Rafa in the semis.

RG - Soderling stunning the world, taking out Rafa and making the finals; Federer finally completing the career Grand Slam.

W - Last stand of the New Balls generation; Roddick, Hewitt, Haas, Ferrero all in the last 8 (and Federer of course); Roddick's last big run and heartbreak in the final; Federer breaking the Slam record; Karlovic literally serving Tsonga and Verdasco off the court.

USO - Del Potro dethroning Federer under the lights in New York, after crushing Nadal in the semis; breakthrough run for Cilic.

WTF - Only final of a big event since 2005 AO with no member of the current top 3. Davydenko finally getting a big title; best WTF group ever with Federer, Del Potro, Murray and Verdasco - all matches went 3 sets, Murray out by one game.

Djokovic and Murray underperformed at Slams but still finished ahead of Del Potro in the rankings due to their fantastic Masters performances. They dominated the Masters circuit (apart from clay, where Nadal ruled).

Only top 10 member without a memorable GS/WTF run was Tsonga, who had that amazing win over Federer in Montreal from 1-5 down in the 3rd.

Just an awesome year all around, my favorite year in tennis. Only thing that could have made it better was Roddick winning Wimbledon, also because we'd have had 4 different Slam winners.

THIS

rocketassist
06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Soderking knocking over Rafito wins it for 2009. It saved tennis from future disaster.

Had Robin won the 2010 rematch though, 2010 would win this handsomely.

LuCC
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
2009 because it was year when I started to follow tennis. I remember this AO final, I've heard the name of Federer only by some sport news and I thought he is arrogant prick, but after he lost to Rafa and when he started to cry I did almost the same in front of TV. I didn't know much about tennis, I haven't got the racquet in my hand but I found this sport very entertaining and now I prefer watching it to any other sports.
I'm happy that I could have watched his last slam wins, but there is still a little fire of hope that he can get one more :)

Fireballer
06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I see Fedtards are in great numbers here

Topspindoctor
06-05-2012, 12:13 AM

incube
06-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I like 2009 beacuase I retuns to watch tennis aftear a few years and because Haas returns too in Grass.
Also a Great Delpotro who started to be my new favourite tennis player.

Nole Rules
06-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Very surprising.

Caesar1844
06-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Definitely 2009. Federer had dropped back to the pack, Rafa had got off the juice and Djokovic wasn't on it yet. Couple of great performances by second-tier players (Sods, Spudtro and Davydenko) to keep the top guys honest.

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-05-2012, 12:32 AM
If I could answer none I would, otherwise 2009 due to the obvious (RG,WIM)

Topspindoctor
06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Very surprising.

It was far better year than 2009/2010/2011.

Looner
06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
2009 by far.

Only top 10 member without a memorable GS/WTF run was Tsonga, who still had that amazing and memorable win over Federer in Montreal from 1-5 down in the 3rd.

This post says it all really and it's all true for me except the AO. I'll also add Madrid 2009 as a personal favourite of mine where the Fed drop shot made its debut and has been going (and getting stronger) ever since.

Roamed
06-05-2012, 12:37 AM
2009 was definitely the most varied year of the ones on offer, very topsy turvy in terms of where you thought it was going to go - first it was Rafa on this way to total dominance, then Fed's incredible couple of slams, then Delpo snatched the third away from him at the last moment to lead to a really interesting indoor season culminating in Davy winning the WTF of course. I personally like years not just for quality or whatever but when they make a really good story, and 2009 was certainly the best in a long while using that criteria! :)

CelesteBlanca
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Of course 2009. Fed God saved the tennis and Delpo packed his only slam.

GasquetFan
06-05-2012, 01:11 AM

AO - Verdasco/Nadal epic semi final, then Nadal finally winning an AO title
RG - Soderling's huge upset
W - Great unexpected final
USO - Del Potro winning his first grand slam beating Nadal and Federer

Topspindoctor
06-05-2012, 01:13 AM
2009 was a shit year. Olderer winning RG alone due to Nadal's injury is a huge taint.

Tennis-Life
06-05-2012, 01:17 AM
2009 was a shit year. Olderer winning RG alone due to Nadal's injury is a huge taint.

:superlol: give some credit to Soderling at least :facepalm:

Jimnik
06-05-2012, 01:17 AM
They all sucked. Snoozefest era.

BodyServe
06-05-2012, 02:40 AM
2009 is a legendary year.

abraxas21
06-05-2012, 02:48 AM
all were awful, with 2008 and 2011 being by far the worst of the worst. :o

Johnny Groove
06-05-2012, 03:04 AM
In order from awesomeness to suckiness:

Oh, whaddya know...

Chirag
06-05-2012, 03:04 AM
2009 easily ,we actually had 3 slam finals going the distance :eek:

Chirag
06-05-2012, 03:05 AM
2009 by far.

could not have said it in better words .Federer even claimed then to wanting the spring hard court season to be over with .Boy he did not know what a year he was gonna have :cool:

duong
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Probably overall 2009, but 2011 is near : was also very interesting imo.

Allez
06-05-2012, 12:40 PM
2009 because it was year when I started to follow tennis. I remember this AO final, I've heard the name of Federer only by some sport news and I thought he is arrogant prick, but after he lost to Rafa and when he started to cry I did almost the same in front of TV. I didn't know much about tennis, I haven't got the racquet in my hand but I found this sport very entertaining and now I prefer watching it to any other sports.
I'm happy that I could have watched his last slam wins, but there is still a little fire of hope that he can get one more :)

Great story :worship:

Roamed
06-05-2012, 01:11 PM

:yeah: It's interesting how he got lots of criticism for that from amongst the tennis community, but outside it I think it endeared him to lots of people, me included.

Chris Kuerten
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
2009, because Nadal didn't win Roland Garros that year.

Ajde!

Macbrother
06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
could not have said it in better words .Federer even claimed then to wanting the spring hard court season to be over with .Boy he did not know what a year he was gonna have :cool:

haha. I forgot about Federer's "thank god for clay" comment -- this coming from probably the greatest ever to play on hard courts. :lol:

2009 was interesting for the reasons above but Federer's declining play (despite the fact he won 2 majors) put a damper on it for me. I actually rather enjoyed 2011, was fun watching Djokovic's march and seeing who if anyone could step up to him.

JurajCrane
06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
2009 by far.

2010 the worst.

Macbrother
06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
:yeah: It's interesting how he got lots of criticism for that from amongst the tennis community, but outside it I think it endeared him to lots of people, me included.

Basically from the haters, more or less. I didn't speak to a a single, casual RL tennis fan/friend to whom it didn't endear them / make him seem more human to them. Most people love to see emotion and drama and that AO final certainly provided it.

Fujee
06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
2009 by far.

thread/

asmazif
06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I think 2008 had the overall better quality of tennis, 2009 the most variety of results/players playing well at the top. 2011 was great to finally see Djokovic step it up, whilst 2010 was basically the same year without this step up.

EliSter
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
2008 was pretty good, 2009 was worst by far, 2010 was meh, 2011 was solid.

emotion
06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
1 2009- Everyone played well. So many contenders at slams- and because of raised levels, not lowered ones
2 2008- Good, competitive between Fedal, but depth was a tad lacking past Djokovic
3 2011- Djokovic was crazy good, wasn´t great otherwise
4 2010- Except for Nadal, everyone was horrible. No rivalries, just some really awful play all around

EliSter
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
1 2009- Everyone played well. So many contenders at slams- and because of raised levels, not lowered ones
2 2008- Good, competitive between Fedal, but depth was a tad lacking past Djokovic
3 2011- Djokovic was crazy good, wasn´t great otherwise
4 2010- Except for Nadal, everyone was horrible. No rivalries, just some really awful play all around

Sadly i cant agree, if Nadull wasnt injured he would swept RG and sw19, no matter how much field 'rised lvl'...:o

emotion
06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Sadly i cant agree, if Nadull wasnt injured he would swept RG and sw19, no matter how much field 'rised lvl'...:o

Okay, admittedly, Nadal´s dropped a bit. The other 7 of the top 8 then :p

tennizen
06-05-2012, 01:40 PM

Eddy DoubleD
06-05-2012, 01:42 PM