CH Nottingham QR2: J.P. Smith def. Zverev 7-5 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

CH Nottingham QR2: J.P. Smith def. Zverev 7-5 6-2

Filo V.
06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Looks like Mischa's run of form lasted one week. Back to mediocrity. Good win for the former Tennessee Volunteer collegiate player.

*Jean*
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Mischa :tape:

Helevorn
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
It could be predicted, Zverev took two breadsticks from Sugita on clay some weeks ago

Wing Man Frank
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I watched Smith play Dustov in the AO qualifiers in what was arguably the worst match to have ever been shown live. How bad must Zverev have played to lost in straight sets?

Wow.

kiriri***
06-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Mischa:sad: When does he find good form?

CooCooCachoo
06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Disappoint loss for Mischa, without a doubt, but Smith seems to be quite a talented player.

Wing Man Frank
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Disappoint loss for Mischa, without a doubt, but Smith seems to be quite a talented player.

What the hell are you basing that on? The best player he's beaten is someone ranked 206th and he's 23 years old.

Filo V.
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Smith isn't that bad. I wouldn't consider him a future talent but he's got some game, he's usually solid and the best part of his game is his return, which makes him a good match-up with Zverev.

motorhead
06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I watched Smith play Dustov in the AO qualifiers in what was arguably the worst match to have ever been shown live. How bad must Zverev have played to lost in straight sets?

Wow.

:haha:

TMJordan
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Smith isn't that bad.
Yes he is. :p

CooCooCachoo
06-04-2012, 11:13 PM
What the hell are you basing that on? The best player he's beaten is someone ranked 206th and he's 23 years old.

Age doesn't mean much for players who played for college in the US. There are plenty of guys who are doing quite well in Futures at the moment who came from college tennis (Moritz Baumann, Marek Michalicka). He had pretty impressive results too. See his college profile here (http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/smith_johnpatrick00.html).

He has beaten decent players this year and in 2011 (J. Baker, Sandgren, Ghedin, Brunken, Millot, Ball, Smyczek, Wolmarans, Polanksy). Plus his very good results in doubles make it clear that he's comfortable at the net, and lead me to believe his game is well-suited to the grass. I admittedly say this without having seen the guy play. It is clear though that he's not a completely hopeless player.

Wing Man Frank
06-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Age doesn't mean much for players who played for college in the US. There are plenty of guys who are doing quite well in Futures at the moment who came from college tennis (Moritz Baumann, Marek Michalicka). He had pretty impressive results too. See his college profile here (http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/smith_johnpatrick00.html).

He has beaten decent players this year and in 2011 (J. Baker, Sandgren, Ghedin, Brunken, Millot, Ball, Smyczek, Wolmarans, Polanksy). Plus his very good results in doubles make it clear that he's comfortable at the net, and lead me to believe his game is well-suited to the grass. I admittedly say this without having seen the guy play. It is clear though that he's not a completely hopeless player.

I accept that the college aspect makes his age somewhat less relevant, but he's not someone I'd describe as talented.

He's beaten a bunch of players around the 200 mark and that's where he'll no doubt spend the whole of his career.

Unlike you I have watched him and I really wish I hadn't.

That said you may well be right in your assumption that he may do well on grass as the few times I've seen him he's looked to serve and volley and generally come to the net whenever he can.

Still, think it's an awful loss for Zverev.

Orange Wombat
06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Honestly, who cares about this result? It's Grand Slam season and challenger qualies mean nothing to Zverev right now. It's a common Grand Slam hangover

TMJordan
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Honestly, who cares about this result? It's Grand Slam season

Not everyone is a glory hunter.

Wing Man Frank
06-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Honestly, who cares about this result? It's Grand Slam season and challenger qualies mean nothing to Zverev right now. It's a common Grand Slam hangover

I like all forms of tennis. Because I'm a proper fan.

Jog on.

CooCooCachoo
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I accept that the college aspect makes his age somewhat less relevant, but he's not someone I'd describe as talented.

He's beaten a bunch of players around the 200 mark and that's where he'll no doubt spend the whole of his career.

Unlike you I have watched him and I really wish I hadn't.

That said you may well be right in your assumption that he may do well on grass as the few times I've seen him he's looked to serve and volley and generally come to the net whenever he can.

Still, think it's an awful loss for Zverev.

It's a bad loss because Mischa should be Top 40/50 in the world on grass with his game. But Smith shouldn't be dismissed as a talentless clown. You simply don't get such a college record without being a good player.

CooCooCachoo
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM

When we have players like Nadal trouncing their opponents, the start of the grass season looks infinitely more interesting than some 4R matches at RG.

The second part is simply inaccurate. Mischa needs the ranking points and knows that he should be collecting them on grass.

156mphserve
06-05-2012, 04:47 AM
expected:shrug: