Roland Garros QF WWW: Roger Federer vs Juan Martin Del Potro [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roland Garros QF WWW: Roger Federer vs Juan Martin Del Potro

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
The most successful player in Grand Slam history vs the Tower of Tandil.

Long story short: Federer is the worst match-up for Delpo on tour; Juan has developed a mental block vs Roger after his comeback from wrist surgery; Juan's injured knee is hindering his movement; Cilic and Berdych don't have the variety to expose his hindered movement, Federer has plenty.

Translation: expect Federer to kill Juan with slices, spins, drop shots... That is usually a very effective way to play Juan, even more so now.

Federer in 3 is the most likely scenario. Anyone bold enough to bet otherwise?

That said, even with Juan's knee, it could be a bit closer than in Australia, simply because he's hitting the ball much better than back then, especially off the forehand.

Your thoughts?

RIboy
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
very tough...

delpiero7
06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
H2H 11-2 in favour of Federer, so Delpo needs to win to avoid becoming Fed's turkey.

4-0 this year to Fed, 9-0 in sets.

Delpo in 5 :wavey:

ServeVolley
Federer in straights, methinks. The Swiss' gameplan has been flawless the last four times they've played, and Delpo must surely be very tired.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5114/delpofedhth.jpg

come2papa
7-6 6-2 6-1

rubbERR
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Who knows if its tough or not...

They have had two 5 set matches and few humiliations.

Unexpected can happen.

asmazif
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Let's see if he can take a set this time.

Orka_n
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Fed has not been playing that well in this tourney. Needs to step it up to beat Kneepotro.

Might go the distance.

Certinfy
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
This draw :facepalm:

I mean really Tomas would have beaten any other 9-12 seed, but no he had to get the one who troubles him the most and bends over to Federer. :o

Federer in 2
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm a Federer fan too, but he isn't second seed man. Cut Nadal some slack :)

Fed in 3/4 in boring 2 hours and something.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Let's see if he can take a set this time.

He won't. Federer will kill him with slices, drop shots, spins... In normal conditions, Federer is a terrible match-up for Juan.

Against Juan in his current conditions, Fed would have to play a really stupid match tactically in order to not win comfortably.

BroTree123
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Fed in 4 probably. Slightly easier than his last two shitfests.

Iván
Del Potros win at the us open over fed will make sense one day

delpiero7
Mods :mad:

My thread title was the best. Had the year, as well as the correct seedings.

asmazif
06-04-2012, 01:45 PM
He won't. Federer will kill him with slices, drop shots, spins... In normal conditions, Federer is a terrible match-up for Juan.

Against Juan in his current conditions, Fed would have to play a really stupid match tactically in order to not win comfortably.

Fed's been pretty gash thus far - 6-3, 6-2, 6-7(6), 6-3 can happen :p

Johnbert
hm... fed isn't in a good shape. but delpo struggles with fed. fed raise his level and win this in 4. loses to djoker in the semis in 4 afterwards.

romismak
Healthy Delpo would be favorite against this AVERAGERER... actually Delpo survived Berdych in long match-2 days and still played decent so maybe he can hold another 3-4 hours against Fed, who is really nothing special here, actually that tactic to play in Berdych BH was very succesfull if he can play the same vs Fed in his BH than he has edge, here his BH is very consistent not making UE and Federer in power canīt match Delpoīs BH power with his 1hBH.. so if Delpoīs knee is o.k he can beat him, actually quicker the surface better for Roger, Delpo will dominate long rallies.

I donīt see Roger here as so clear favorite, i mean he lost 3 sets to 3 different players... neither of them was someone who normally can took set from Federer at slam, now Potro lost 1 set to Berdych-Cilic combined what is very good resume, if his knee will let him he can do it - that BH tactic vs Berdych vs very succesfull, if he can play to Rogerīs BH all the time he will frustrate him the same like Roger will frustrate him with drop shots, slice and so on...

Looner
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Delpo's playing really well. If he starts off very good and Federer is still so sluggish, Delboy in 4/5. If conditions are damp that may again help Delboy. Let's see.

MIMIC
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Well at least Novak's draw got easier (assuming he makes the semis). I had Berdych handily beating Fed and then also beating Novak.

Oh well. I'll say Fed in 3 or Del Potro in 4.

Commander Data
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Federer is ripe for a loss. Potro in 4

I mean really Tomas would have beaten any other 9-12 seed, but no he had to get the one who troubles him the most and bends over to Federer. :o

http://funnyphotosto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/22/Crying-252BBaby-252BNatural-252BHigh-252Bfor-252BSome-252BMoms.jpg

Mark Lenders

True. Had Tomas had Granollers in R4 and Murray/Gasquet QF and Ferrer had Del Potro in R4, he'd be going to the semis and Ferrer would be packing his bags and booking a flight back to Spain right about now.

Unbalanced draw if I ever saw one. Seeds 5-8, Tsonga has Wawa (very good player, but not close to Del Potro), Tipsarevic has Almagro (same), Ferrer has Gruntollers (:facepalm:) and Tomas has Delpo. Oh well, at least he can rest and gear up for Wimbledon, where he has a better chance.

And yes, Federer will win in 3. This time, though, he'd win in easy 3 even if Del Potro didn't bend over. He has too much variety and ways to expose Juan's hindered movement.

gulzhan
:zzz: at the title.

I liked the horror draw threads much more :yeah:

Roamed
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Fed will probably lose at least a set the way he's been playing, though he might be helped now by the fact that he knows Delpo's game. This match will also suit him much better than quarters against Berdych would have done.

I'm guessing Fed in 5, but not a really tight 5, more like 6-2 6-7 6-3 5-7 6-2 sort of thing. Hope Fed can prove me wrong and win more swiftly though. And if Delpo wins, good for him, it would be nice to see him back in the semis.

SheepleBuster
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I am glad Berdych is gone. One of the most disgusting human beings I have ever seen. Other than that, I like both guys. So any one can give Nole a good match :D Too bad Del Po is a bit injured. I don't think he could beat Rafa in a final with the way he is moving. But he could give Roger and Nole a good match

alter ego
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Can't wait for the drop shot festival.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Can't wait for the drop shot festival.

Drop shot, slices, spins... you name it.

It won't be pretty. Del Potro himself knows his tournament is probably over. He usually struggles with Federer's variety big time; with an injured knee, could be a bloodbath.

Federer has the variety to expose Juan's hindered movement in a way that Cilic and Berdych simply can't. Can't see past Federer in 3 relatively straightforward sets.

viruzzz
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I want Federer to win this in a classy sharp match.

But, I imagine Fed in 5, suffering. Please no!

sexybeast
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM

This one is such a whiny crybaby, stop with this.

Federer got Del Potro while Djokovic/Nadal got Tsonga/Almagro, I am sure he would gladly switch place with any of them.

Berdych would surely lose to Nadal and Djokovic anyway, who cares if he could beat Federer? He is such a bitch of the top 2, Federer atleast got a chanse against Djokovic and Del Potro a tiny little chanse against Nadal.

Sunset of Age
06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Very difficult to call a favourite here, and surely not a 'clear' favourite.
Fed knows JMDP's game as well as possible and is a horrible match-up for him, especially as JMDP may-or-may-not be suffering some kind of ailment. On the other hand, Fed's play so far has shown all kinds of resemblances to his USO 2009-form - very inconsistent and showing quite a few patches of clowning and falling asleep.
Should JMDP be able to take advantages of those (like he did in the match against Berdych), it could even be him in three. If not, Fed in 4 or 5.

And yes I agree Berdych got a horrible draw.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
This one is such a whiny crybaby, stop with this.

Federer got Del Potro while Djokovic/Nadal got Tsonga/Almagro, I am sure he would gladly switch place with any of them.

Berdych would surely lose to Nadal and Djokovic anyway, who cares if he could beat Federer? He is such a bitch of the top 2, Federer atleast got a chanse against Djokovic and Del Potro a tiny little chanse against Nadal.

So what? Even if he would indeed lose to Nadal and Djokovic, he could have reached the semis if he had a joke draw like Ferrer's, or at least QF with Tsonga and Tipsy's draw.

Tomas was screwed big time by the draw. In order to win, he'd have to beat Del Potro (very bad match-up), Federer, Djokovic and Nadal and succession, basically the last four players to win Grand Slam titles.

henke007
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Fed in 4

TigerTim
06-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Didn't know Federer was 2 seed. Del Potro will be destroyed as usual. How fed lost the USO 09 final is perhaps one of the big questions of his career.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Didn't know Federer was 2 seed. Del Potro will be destroyed as usual. How fed lost the USO 09 final is perhaps one of the big questions of his career.

It's actually not a big question and it has a simple answer: Del Potro was better than him that day, especially on the big points.

Usually it's Federer who comes up with the good in his finals - hence why he's the most successful player in Grand Slam history - but not on that one.

tennishero
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
del potro to step up and win in 4.

Tennis-Life
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

I still remember that match :facepalm: Could have been non calendar Grand Slam holder

rubbERR
06-04-2012, 02:17 PM

How he lost it? Delpo started unleash his forehand after doing his passive shit for two sets.

joplin
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
horror draw for federer continues.
honestly I thought Delpo would have gone out against Cilić, but somehow got through the pain and a couple of mugs. Hope he takes him out, federer has no bussiness to be in semis, firstly because of his draw, and secondly, losing sets against lucky losers

cardio
2 and half hours yesterday, 53 minutes today - it wasnt exactly marathon match. DelPo should be fresh and rested in QF .

I have a feeling that he can take advantage of sub-par Federer .

Mark Lenders
How he lost it? Delpo started unleash his forehand after doing his passive shit for two sets.

Not true. Juan played very well in the first set too. Federer was just unplayable.

When Federer had a little dip, Juan pounced and took his chances, shifting the momentum of the match. His confidence grew, Federer's decreased and the rest is history. A very well deserved Grand Slam title. Mental toughness was the key; most players would have been beaten after Federer's masterclass for one set and a half, but Juan just hung in there waiting for an opening and taking it.

rubbERR
I still remember that match :facepalm: Could have been non calendar Grand Slam holder

Really? He should have lost to Roddick in Wimbledon final. :lol:

French open Tommy Haas. ;)

Absolute Anthropoid
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Hoping Federer raises his level this match, he will have to.

As for the score, I think Federer in 4/5. Federer has been generous, handing out sets in 3/4 matches so far.

sexybeast
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
So what? Even if he would indeed lose to Nadal and Djokovic, he could have reached the semis if he had a joke draw like Ferrer's, or at least QF with Tsonga and Tipsy's draw.

Tomas was screwed big time by the draw. In order to win, he'd have to beat Del Potro (very bad match-up), Federer, Djokovic and Nadal and succession, basically the last four players to win Grand Slam titles.

I was foremost responding to his whining about Federer not getting the most difficult QF opponent he could possibly get and instead "only got the 2nd most difficult QF opponent in the draw".

I understand it could be frustating when your favorite has a difficult draw but to be a crybaby about a 31 year old's draw is just very tiring to hear.

All the complaining before the match even started about the schedule is also boring, 2 mid 20s players against a 30+ player and you complain about long matches and unfair schedule?

Grow some balls like Djokovic and just handle the situation.

ServeVolley
06-04-2012, 02:23 PM

That was my fault, sorry. The mods merged my poll with another thread just as I was correcting it. :facepalm:

SaFed2005
06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Fed has been losing sets left and right at Roland Garros so far. His form has definitely dipped this tournament compared to how he had been playing thus far the rest of the year. I think anything can happen. 60/40 to Federer.

Delpo might just pull it off.

Imperfect Angel
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Please win Delpo. Fed will suck against Djoker, if not Nadull.

emotion
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Iīm really scared the way Feddy is playing. I might have to jump in front of a bus if the final is del Potro vs Nadal

Looner
06-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Dude, I know it's tough to see Roger lose another final against RN but if he stands a chance of getting more points for the #1, we'll just have to accept it. Currently, I only see Djoker losing to RN in the final which would mean Roger slips further back in the rankings. So even if it gives RN another GS title, it brings RF closer to the weeks at #1 record and that is what's most important. Plus you never know what can happen in a GS final.

Tennis-Life
06-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Fed has to fight no matter what :wavey:

moon language
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Routine for Federer. Berdych would have made for a more interesting match.

reery
Federer in 4.

Iīm really scared the way Feddy is playing. I might have to jump in front of a bus if the final is del Potro vs Nadal

:unsure::scared: Yuck.

Federer or Djokovic should reach the final, ffs.

duong
The H2H means nothing on clay, because clay annihilates the way Fed can beat Del Potro by playing too quickly for him.

Considering their level of play as Fed "hides" nothing, just plays badly (I just hope it's not because of physical problems but anyway I'm very worried for Wimbledon at the moment -in RG he did what I expected from him, although a SF would be great of course), Del Potro should win, I will say in 4.

However, Del Potro's knee might be a problem in the end :shrug:

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I know Federer fans are trying to 'jinx' by claiming Del Potro will make it close or win here.

But let's be honest here: Federer will win in 3, it will not be close.

Please explain me how Del Potro will do anything here. Will his knee be 100% overnight? Even if it does, will his mental block vs Federer be that easily overcome? Will Federer forget how to slice, drop shot, etc...?

Not likely, any outcome other than Federer in 3 will be quite a surprise. Del Potro does have what it takes to win at least another Slam title, but this is not his time yet. For now, QF vs his worst matchup on tour is a more than decent result.

reery
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I know Federer fans are trying to 'jinx' by claiming Del Potro will make it close or win here.

Please explain me how Del Potro will do anything here. Will his knee be 100% overnight? Even if it does, will his mental block vs Federer be that easily overcome? Will Federer forget how to slice, drop shot, etc...?

Not likely, any outcome other than Federer in 3 will be quite a surprise. Del Potro does have what it takes to win at least another Slam title, but this is not his time yet. For now, QF vs his worst matchup on tour is a more than decent result.

Agree but that would be at the USO which is why him reaching RG final with the dodgy knee this year would be a gift to the finalist of the other half.:o

buzz
06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I understand it could be frustating when your favorite has a difficult draw but to be a crybaby about a 31 year old's draw is just very tiring to hear.

How come even a Federer fan can't get his age right... Maybe people are talking to much of Federer being old, he is still 30years old.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Agree but that would be at the USO which is why him reaching RG final with the dodgy knee this year would be a gift to the finalist of the other half.:o

He could win RG too some time, just not this year. Only Slam I give him little to no chance at is Wimbledon.

Don't worry, if he can somehow beat Federer and Djokovic it'll be because his knee has healed - and if he did beat Fed and Nole, there's no reason to believe he couldn't be competitive vs Rafa.

But it won't happen, Federer will win in 3. Juan's time will come, but it's not now. QF is a very good result for him all things considered.

Rafa is the GOAT
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Fed is seeded 3, Del Potro in an epic 5-setter

reery
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
He could win RG too some time, just not this year. Only Slam I give him little to no chance at is Wimbledon.

Don't worry, if he can somehow beat Federer and Djokovic it'll be because his knee has healed - and if he did beat Fed and Nole, there's no reason to believe he couldn't be competitive vs Rafa.

But it won't happen, Federer will win in 3. Juan's time will come, but it's not now. QF is a very good result for him all things considered.

Yep. But not this year with that knee.

buzz
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I think it will be a tight match, especially if the conditions will be similar to todays, Delpotro will have more time to use his power. Reminds me of Federer-soderling 2010 QF match-up and condition wise.

EliSter
06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Horrordrawerer in 3.

abraxas21
06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
The most successful player in Grand Slam history vs the Tower of Tandil.

Long story short: Federer is the worst match-up for Delpo on tour; Juan has developed a mental block vs Roger after his comeback from wrist surgery; Juan's injured knee is hindering his movement; Cilic and Berdych don't have the variety to expose his hindered movement, Federer has plenty.

Translation: expect Federer to kill Juan with slices, spins, drop shots... That is usually a very effective way to play Juan, even more so now.

Federer in 3 is the most likely scenario. Anyone bold enough to bet otherwise?

That said, even with Juan's knee, it could be a bit closer than in Australia, simply because he's hitting the ball much better than back then, especially off the forehand.

Your thoughts?

i don't agree with this at all

people used to say similar things right after federer trashed delpo in AO 2009 and then look what happened. there's no mental block on delpo's side at all and federer isn't his worst match-up by any means.

that said, federer should win but it's not going to be easy and if pony finds his full ballbashing mode he'll get the win.

samanosuke
not much of a chance for feddy

Looner

I am not even trying to jinx. I don't think Fed has been on the top of his game even in Madrid and it seems it hasn't clicked at RG this year like it did in 2011. So with heavy conditions and Fed missing some easy shots, Delpo should get his chance.

Delboy won't miss on the BPs as much as Goffin did and if they play on SL, which would be expected as JWT and ND will be on PC, then del Potro has a slower court to work with which gives less space for defence against his powerful shots.

You are right in saying RF can beat him but he needs to step it up. He's done it time and again but it's never guaranteed.

duong
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM

I don't know if you watched Fed play in this tournament but he really feels bad about his game at the moment, nothing like in 2009 when he could make these dropshots ... to be very lucky to win a tight match (had he not won the 2nd set in tie-break :rolleyes: ).

He can't find power on his forehand, which is a big key for him against Del Potro. Backhand and return of serve are very fragile ... even his serve sometimes has low percentage.

That + a heavy clay makes a totally different match-up : if it always goes to long rallies, Del Potro should win :shrug:

That said, yes, Del Potro's knee is worrying. But the stats of first and 3rd set against Berdych were good for him.

duong
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
and if they play on SL, which would be expected as JWT and ND will be on PC

All QFs are on Chatrier as Qfs are in 2 days (except if the rain changes everything but it wshould not be the case this year)

I agree with you that even in Madrid, Fed was not at the same level as before his break : seems something has bothered him since he came back.

And in this Roland-Garros it's even worse, which is a very bad sign for Wimbledon, which is the important tournament for him.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I am not even trying to jinx. I don't think Fed has been on the top of his game even in Madrid and it seems it hasn't clicked at RG this year like it did in 2011. So with heavy conditions and Fed missing some easy shots, Delpo should get his chance.

Delboy won't miss on the BPs as much as Goffin did and if they play on SL, which would be expected as JWT and ND will be on PC, then del Potro has a slower court to work with which gives less space for defence against his powerful shots.

You are right in saying RF can beat him but he needs to step it up. He's done it time and again but it's never guaranteed.

Fair enough. I think you're being too optimistic of Juan's chances/pessimistic of Fed's, but I do hope you're right and Delpo can at least make it a match.

But I really can't see it. If the knee was 100% I could see him have a chance, he's hitting the ball with pretty much the same power and accuracy as back in 2009 atm, far better than in his last few matches vs Federer. But Roger is about the last player you want to face when you can't move at your best; he simply has too much variety.

Regardless of conditions, unless Federer forgets to drop shot, slice, vary spins, this should not be a contest. Federer is just about the worst matchup on tour for Juan, he needs to be in top shape to compete, which is not the case.

It would take a bad performance from Federer, or an unlikely super performance from Delpo, to make this anything other than a 3-set win for Federer imo. Hope I'm wrong, guess we'll see tomorrow. As a Juan fan, I'm pretty happy with his progress and what he did in this tournament, just want him to fight as well as possible tomorrow.

I don't know if you watched Fed play in this tournament but he really feels bad about his game at the moment, nothing like in 2009 when he could make these dropshots ... to be very lucky to win a tight match (had he not won the 2nd set in tie-break :rolleyes: ).

He can't find power on his forehand, which is a big key for him against Del Potro. Backhand and return of serve are very fragile ... even his serve sometimes has low percentage.

That + a heavy clay makes a totally different match-up : if it always goes to long rallies, Del Potro should win :shrug:

That said, yes, Del Potro's knee is worrying. But the stats of first and 3rd set against Berdych were good for him.

Federer always steps up against better opponents, his level will raise for sure.

The only way Delpo can beat Federer in the current conditions is for the match to somehow turn into a power contest from the baseline. But Federer has too much variety to allow that to happen. He can expose Juan's hindered movement in ways that Berdych and Cilic simply can't. He will slice and drop shot the Tower of Tandil to death, and with his knee not 100% there will nothing Juan can do about it. He will fight, but not succeed.

Really, there's no reason for Fed fans to be afraid. It's all in Federer's hands. He'd need to play a very stupid match tactically (or in terms of execution) to lose to a Del Potro with a less than optimal knee.

Argenbrit
06-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Del Potro can't be discarded when Fed was close to being two sets down to a Lucky Loser and has yet to play a top 20 in this tournament.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Del Potro can't be discarded when Fed was close to being two sets down to a Lucky Loser and has yet to play a top 20 in this tournament.

Oh come on, Federer is one of the greatest champions in tennis history. He knows exactly how to pace himself and will step up against better opponents. It's not the first or the last time that he is not overly impressive in early rounds.

shadows
06-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Pony in 4.

sexybeast
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
How come even a Federer fan can't get his age right... Maybe people are talking to much of Federer being old, he is still 30years old.

He is closer to 31 than 30 and at that age no player has reached RG SF in the last 30 years. But I think he will do it, I think Del Potro with bad knees cant beat him.

Orka_n
06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Really, there's no reason for Fed fans to be afraid. It's all in Federer's hands. He'd need to play a very stupid match tactically (or in terms of execution) to lose to a Del Potro with a less than optimal knee.It's funny how you accuse Fed fans of trying to jinx when you're doing the exact same thing. :facepalm:

Federer, if you haven't noticed, has gotten older. It is no longer as easy for him to simply up his level when facing someone good (see Rome 12 vs Djoker). And in his prime he wouldn't have dropped sets to Ungur, Mahut & Goffin consecutively.

Fed may well win, but to act like it is already over is pathetic. And Delpo's knees are fine.

Allez
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Hilarious to see a multitude of Fed haterz trying to "jinx" him by claiming Delpo (who's had a fantastic clay season so far) doesn't stand a chance against a 31 year old who has been losing sets left right and centre so far. OK let me get this right... Fed struggles against a lucky loser and is now supposed to easily take care of the pony who has been playing brilliantly recently :rolleyes:

Before it used to be that Fedtards would vote for Fed even knowing that he would definitely lose (e.g. against Nadal) but now the stupid jinxing mentality has taken over MTF and we have all the haters crawling out of their holes to vote for Fed in hopes of "jinxing" him :facepalm:

Just when you think you've seen it all :haha:

The pony will win this in 4 sets.

GSMnadal
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Foursetterer in 4 :zzz:

Matt01
06-04-2012, 03:31 PM
A fully fit Del Pony has too much game for Federer but since he's injured...

Horrordrawerer in 3.

...this.

Mark Lenders
06-04-2012, 03:31 PM
It's funny how you accuse Fed fans of trying to jinx when you're doing the exact same thing. :facepalm:

Federer, if you haven't noticed, has gotten older. It is no longer as easy for him to simply up his level when facing someone good (see Rome 12 vs Djoker). And in his prime he wouldn't have dropped sets to Ungur, Mahut & Goffin consecutively.

Fed may well win, but to act like it is already over is pathetic. And Delpo's knees are fine.

Ah I don't believe in jinxes. I think it's the first time in my time on this site I'm predicting Juan to lose, because I genuinely expect it. I'd consider Federer the clear favorite if Delpo was 100%, because it's a very good match-up for him, even more so when Juan has been struggling with his knee.

Of course it's not a foregone conclusion, but smart money is on Federer in 3 for sure. And Federer is a great champion, he will step it up in this match, especially against the only guy apart from Nadal to beat him in a Slam final. Now that he's older, he needs to pace himself in two weeks tournaments and he knows he can beat guys like Mahut and Ungur in second gear.

I'd love Federer to have a poor performance here as it's no secret I'm supporting Juan here, but I'm not counting on it.

A fully fit Del Pony has too much game for Federer but since he's injured...

Come on man, let's not be idiotic here. Del Potro at his best can definitely beat Federer (although he's never the favorite), but that statement is downright ridiculous. If anything, he struggles against Federer more than anyone else on tour, regardless of form and fitness.

buzz
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
He is closer to 31 than 30 and at that age no player has reached RG SF in the last 30 years. But I think he will do it, I think Del Potro with bad knees cant beat him.

Connors in 84' did it. Probably more? Ferrer has also a good chance.

RIboy
06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Federer 6-3 6-0 6-2

Allez
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Winning Estoril > winning Madrid as far as prep work for RG and this particular match goes....

ossie
06-04-2012, 03:42 PM
only reason fed has made it this far is because of his ridiculous draw. the goat will overpower him like he did at the usopen.

Allez
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
only reason fed has made it this far is because of his ridiculous draw. the goat will overpower him like he did at the usopen.

Agree with with the bit in bold. The pony is one of the few players who can blow Fed off the court. Berdych is another, so even if the pony had lost, Fed's run was always going to end in the quarters.

duong
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Ah I don't believe in jinxes. I think it's the first time in my time on this site I'm predicting Juan to lose, because I genuinely expect it. I'd consider Federer the clear favorite if Delpo was 100%, because it's a very good match-up for him, even more so when Juan has been struggling with his knee.

Of course it's not a foregone conclusion, but smart money is on Federer in 3 for sure.

frankly, the only objective reasoning would be that it's tight : on a heavy clay you can't expect JesusFed or the kind of match-up they've had on hard courts, it's totally different conditions. In my opinion it will be long rallies then I rather predict Del Potro.

"Fed is a great champion and will raise his level" : so is Del Potro, but he can't raise his level to the sky when he's not in good form either.

henke007
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM

:lol:

Tennis-Life
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Del Potro will obtain his "turkey" status tomorrow :sport:

Matt01
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Come on man, let's not be idiotic here. Del Potro at his best can definitely beat Federer (although he's never the favorite), but that statement is downright ridiculous. If anything, he struggles against Federer more than anyone else on tour, regardless of form and fitness.

I'm not bying the opinion of many posters here that Fed is a "terrible matchup" for Delpo but yeah, I was exaggerating a bit...

Let's say that a fit Delpo at his best has enough game to beat Fed as seen in 2009.

romismak
06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
All who thinks Roger will demolish him in straight sets must think on - this is clay and secondly - Roger is playing shit, 3 sets already lost to mugs, last year at RG it was different Roger, even in Australia it was different Roger- he almost got Nadal there... here Rafa would most likely demolish him like in 08. Delpo has knee issues, but he seemed fine enough in Berdych-Cilic matches, his BH is very consistent, his FH is better than at the beginning of the year.

Last this is clay, Roger is better on quicker surfaces vs Delpo, yes drop shots, slices will be effective, but serve will be less effective - and many matches honestly Roger won in last years just being in Serverer mode. Delpo will dominate by his raw power in longer baseline rallies, he did great job vs Berdych and Roger didnīt have the some pace -power on his shots - i think if Delpo will be able to play 3,5-4 hours he will win - this can be another 2010 QF - Soderling was big hitter there, now Delpo - only difference is that Delpo didnīt have Robinīs big serve - 220-230kmh bombs, but this maybe isnīt such important now, with Rogerīs ROS being crap, he is better returning bombs on quicker surface, Delpo with high FS% still can take command in rallies on his own serve and overpower him. And Roger is playing probably his worst RG since top player. -

He lost sets to - romanian guy from challengers, to guy who has game that belongs to 90s Wimbledon on clay lost that set, and to some LL he was almost down 2sets to 0.

Fireballer
06-04-2012, 04:25 PM

:rolleyes:

Regenbogen
06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Del Potro will obtain his "turkey" status tomorrow :sport:

agreed, Federer's beaten him a bunch of times this year already. Federer will probably still play like crap but I don't trust Del Potro to take advantage of it enough to get three sets. Maybe one.

Allez
06-04-2012, 05:00 PM
All who thinks Roger will demolish him in straight sets must think on - this is clay and secondly - Roger is playing shit, 3 sets already lost to mugs, last year at RG it was different Roger, even in Australia it was different Roger- he almost got Nadal there... here Rafa would most likely demolish him like in 08. Delpo has knee issues, but he seemed fine enough in Berdych-Cilic matches, his BH is very consistent, his FH is better than at the beginning of the year.

Last this is clay, Roger is better on quicker surfaces vs Delpo, yes drop shots, slices will be effective, but serve will be less effective - and many matches honestly Roger won in last years just being in Serverer mode. Delpo will dominate by his raw power in longer baseline rallies, he did great job vs Berdych and Roger didnīt have the some pace -power on his shots - i think if Delpo will be able to play 3,5-4 hours he will win - this can be another 2010 QF - Soderling was big hitter there, now Delpo - only difference is that Delpo didnīt have Robinīs big serve - 220-230kmh bombs, but this maybe isnīt such important now, with Rogerīs ROS being crap, he is better returning bombs on quicker surface, Delpo with high FS% still can take command in rallies on his own serve and overpower him. And Roger is playing probably his worst RG since top player. -

He lost sets to - romanian guy from challengers, to guy who has game that belongs to 90s Wimbledon on clay lost that set, and to some LL he was almost down 2sets to 0.

This post makes so much sense :worship:

ElMix
06-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Fed in 4, because he's in a charity mood.

Allez
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Stop jinxing Allez. We all know what you're doing here.

Please don't be ridiculous. What are you doing here ? Since when has Fed been a given for the final when Nole is still in the draw :shrug: I don't believe in all that jinxing crap.

GSMnadal
06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Fed in 4, because he's in a charity mood.

He's in that mood a lot lately :awww:

viruzzz
06-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Muger's clown run continues :mad: Federeeesians were moaning and groaning all tournament about his his QF opponent.

But he's not just playing one of his turkeys, no, that's not cake enough for the Fraudster. He isn't even playing just an INJURED Turkey. He is playing an injured turkey that has to play three days in a row.

Why don't we just pencil Fedull in the final :rolleyes:

http://friends18.com/img/shut-up/047.jpg

born_on_clay
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Del Potro to make some swiss cheese :D
Juan in 4

BauerAlmeida
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Fed in 4. I hope Delpo can take it to 5 but I don't see him winning in these conditions.

Allez
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Either you're a jinxer or the least confident fan I've ever seen. Even the Fedtards have exposed your jinxing ways. Give it up Allez. Your jinxing days are numbered.

I asked what you were doing here predicting a Fed final when the guy who has beaten him in 5 of the last 6 matches is still in the draw ? Now who's playing the childish and ridiculous jinxing game :haha: Why are you even getting serious about a non existent thing like a "jinx" just goes to show how mentally disturbed some people are...Like I said it used to be that the federrriiiiiinas would vote for Fed even knowing he'd lose but now this "jinx" mentality is sweeping MTF such that it's mostly haters like you who tend to "support" Fed in these poll threads :haha: Only on MTF :rolleyes:

Allez
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
This post is dripping with guilt. How do you live with yourself? That was a good adjective for the Federeeeeesians though.

Still not giving any good argument why a 31 year old who has lost to the current world number 1 5 of the last 6 times is suddenly favoured to come through the top half of the draw...the omly plausible explanation for your "support" is that you're building the old man up so you can laugh your ass off when you see him fall...don't worry your moment will come soon enough...tomorrow in fact. Enjoy.

samanosuke
06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
With putting this match on Lenglen court last hope for Fed gone. This court somehow doesn't suits him. He won FO only time when he played all 7 matches on Chatrier court

EddieNero
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
The sooner Federer crashes out from this tournament the better. Unfortunately Del Potro is too good of a match-up for him to fail.
Fed in 3.

Xristos
06-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Fed in 4.

Filo V.
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Roger in straights, maybe four sets with the two trading the first two sets. The slow, heavy conditions will help Roger here.

samanosuke
06-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Roger in straights, maybe four sets with the two trading the first two sets. The slow, heavy conditions will help Roger here.

:lol: now fed has officially lost. you are doing many things wrong, but in predicting the outcome you are more than wrong

Roger the Dodger
06-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Can we keep it in straights, Wogie? A clinic for Confidence before the semis.

Kat_YYZ
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I am not happy with the Swiss Maestro :sadface:

Good luck, Rogi! :awww:

TigerTim
06-04-2012, 09:15 PM
"lets all eat cheese" :lol:

hopefully the arabs will be saying "this is the maestro I dream of at night, lick that Del Potro" :haha:

SerialKillerToBe
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Djokovic might actually prefer an Olderer win. Del Po was smashing the ball scary good. :eek:

AncicCilic
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I expect Fed to increase his game level from maybe 2,5/5 (so far in tournament) to 3,5/5 and win this in 4.
I also expect a LOT of dropshots and mixing up from Fed, you don't want to go into all-open hitting battle with DelPo over and over again.

latso
06-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Del Potro wins this in max 4 sets imho.

And i'm a big time Fed fan.

It's just enough to watch 2-3 of Fed's RG matches, then watch 2-3 of Pony's. The latter is playing much better i'd say.

Roger has been exposed already by absolute no names in the game and against a powerful, strong serving Pony - Roger has small chances imo.

The drop shots novelty in Madrid in 2009 was good enough to get the job done (smth like Murray - Gasquet today), then it was a 50-50 RG semi, which Roger won, but the Swiss was younger and he was on the very top of his motivation, knowing that this is his (almost) last big test with an open RG tittle to be taken (Rafa out).

Now the motivation is toward the double Wimby summer and he knows he has no chances here, even he goes through Pony, so despite a GS motivation is kind of a constant, there are still fluctucations and Roger's in 2009 is uncomparable with the one he will have at this quarter.

Del Potro on the other side is peking right on time and he has his chances for a final here, which would be his second best career achivement at a Slam, so i believe he will go for it big time.

I believe Berdych was at the limit equaly dangerous on clay as Roger is at this very moment and Pony had virtualy no problems getting through, which i believe will be the case against Roger as well.

I hope i'm wrong though.

rob_z
06-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Interesting match. Fed is not playing at his best at the moment and clay is not his favourite surface.
But Del Potro is a good match up for him. Fed should be able to win in 4.
If Del potro makes it a 5 setter he could win on endurance. But I think Fed will manage to avoid a 5th set and will win in 4.

Moozza
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Potro has a chance here, unless he has let Federer get into his head after alll those defeats to him this year.

Potro in 4 or 5. 4.

Mateya
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm not satisfied with Swiss maestro.

Del Kneetro in 5, the repeat of misterious USO 2009 final.

doublebackhand
06-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Healthy Delpo would be favorite against this AVERAGERER... actually Delpo survived Berdych in long match-2 days and still played decent so maybe he can hold another 3-4 hours against Fed, who is really nothing special here, actually that tactic to play in Berdych BH was very succesfull if he can play the same vs Fed in his BH than he has edge, here his BH is very consistent not making UE and Federer in power canīt match Delpoīs BH power with his 1hBH.. so if Delpoīs knee is o.k he can beat him, actually quicker the surface better for Roger, Delpo will dominate long rallies.

I donīt see Roger here as so clear favorite, i mean he lost 3 sets to 3 different players... neither of them was someone who normally can took set from Federer at slam, now Potro lost 1 set to Berdych-Cilic combined what is very good resume, if his knee will let him he can do it - that BH tactic vs Berdych vs very succesfull, if he can play to Rogerīs BH all the time he will frustrate him the same like Roger will frustrate him with drop shots, slice and so on...

Very insightful analysis and shows how much you understand tennis and tactics.

alfonsojose
06-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Delpo is hitting the forehand like he did in 2009 :eek:. He's not a clay courter but clay lets him to set up that delicious, nasty shot :drool:. Even the backhand was on fire against Berdych. Everything started on clay in 2008 :yeah: If he's on , bye bye Smurferer

incube
06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
The Best Delpo risked more with his tennis in 2009.
In this year he plays more pasive. Then, with his problems he has to risk more and this is not bad because his has much precision.
In fact I dont know Why has been so conservative this year.
But, all we know Federer always play well against Delpo.
Then, I Think Delpo wins in 5 sets:worship:

Topspindoctor
06-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Come on, Goderer. Take the trash out.

Ibracadabra
06-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Could be interesting, the swiss is serving bad.

Jimnik
06-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Hope the winner is 18-16 in the 5th.

Clay Death
06-05-2012, 02:59 AM
this is going to be a good battle.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Every time I've seen Federer he has looked really poor. Last match he was spraying it all over the place and was lucky to be playing an exhausted player who had just hit puberty. Tactically he has the beating of JMDP but the form is just not there.

Caesar1844
06-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Federer is playing garbage but still good enough to beat Spudtro. He hasn't lost a set to him in 3 years.

Mountaindewslave
06-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Del Potro to me has seemed to be playing better so far this Roland Garros than Federer but sometimes he drops under pressure against, i.e. the last few matches and seems to not have much of a strategy besides his typical bashing (which can work some days better than others).

he's been hitting with solid variety this week though, I voted Federer in 4 but that is more based on the last few meetings. given their current form Federer might be in trouble

Mr. Oracle
06-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Pony's been around for a while now and has improved his mental toughness. He will put up some stiff resistance. This will be no rout for either player. By this stage in the tournament, the organizers are running out of options and fixing is becoming more difficult.

MuzzahLovah
06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
I don't see how anyone who has seen the 20 matches they've had this year can pick JMDP to win. It's not happening.

MuzzahLovah
06-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Potro has a chance here, unless he has let Federer get into his head after alll those defeats to him this year.

Potro in 4 or 5. 4.

Nope. He has no chance. He lost to Fed every time this year no matter his form or Fed's form. And he's looked much better than he has now.

Ace Pounder
06-05-2012, 08:25 AM
The 4-set win streak goes on for Roger!

Allez
06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Pony's been around for a while now and has improved his mental toughness. He will put up some stiff resistance. This will be no rout for either player. By this stage in the tournament, the organizers are running out of options and fixing is becoming more difficult.

lol fixing for who's benefit one wonders :lol:

bornnl
06-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I am glad Berdych is gone. One of the most disgusting human beings I have ever seen. Other than that, I like both guys. So any one can give Nole a good match :D Too bad Del Po is a bit injured. I don't think he could beat Rafa in a final with the way he is moving. But he could give Roger and Nole a good match

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Mercury
06-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Why is this match scheduled for the same time as Nole vs Tsonga??? Who made that dumbass decision? I want to watch both matches, I don't wanna have to choose you ignorant useless organizers.

DjokerFan3
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Why is this match scheduled for the same time as Nole vs Tsonga??? Who made that dumbass decision? I want to watch both matches, I don't wanna have to choose you ignorant useless organizers.

This. :facepalm:

Anyways I think Roger will win in 3, but it might take 4. Oh yikes, just realised if Roger does beat Delpo today, Delpo will be Roger's turkey...

sicko
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
This. :facepalm:

Anyways I think Roger will win in 3, but it might take 4. Oh yikes, just realised if Roger does beat Delpo today, Delpo will be Roger's turkey...

why should you care, one of your favorites always wins. :drive:

TigerTim
06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
why should you care, one of your favorites always wins. :drive:

I was about to say he is merely a fan of tennis but he can't be because he supports Nadal.

emotion
06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
head says federer, heart says del potro
i pray my heart is wrong

Fujee
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Should be a nice match this.

Manequin75
06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
this poll also seems spot on. Fed should win in straights but feel more comfortable predicting a 4 set win for the GOAT considering the quality of his opponent.

Novak- Federer encore on Phillip Chatrier. This time Novak should reverse the result.

out_grinder
06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I wanna know why Federer struggles against Bird Shit yet seems to put away Delpo most times.

Bird Shit and Delpo are both ballbashers, except Delpo moves better, defends better AND has greater maximum pace on his strokes.

So why does Fed struggle against Bird Shit but not Delpo?

FedvsNole
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
No way in hell is shit formerer beating delpo. Pony in 3 or 4 sets max.

alfonsojose
06-06-2012, 12:16 AM

:tape:

tripwires
06-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Spot-on prediction. :bowdown: