◄ Grass season 2012 ►onwards and upwards!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

◄ Grass season 2012 ►onwards and upwards!!!

MsTree
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Well here we are again ~ my favourite part of the season :) :cool:
My strawberries are flowering so it's time to get this thread on the go!!! :D

Gillou will play

Queens 11 - 17 June
Boodles exo 19 - 23 June
Wimbledon 25 June - 8 July
Olympics @ Wimby 28 July - 5 Aug

Allez Gilles!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Gilles+Simon+AEGON+Championship+Day+Three+yamMp6rT 05gl.jpg

Gilloulou
06-02-2012, 10:02 PM
don't know how to put smileys but: *cheerleader*X10 :]

lalaland
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
He got past by Almagro in the ranking today, dropped to 13th next week. Which means, he needs to win at least 2 matches in Queens if he wants to get enough bonus pts to get seeded 12th in Wimby. So a big Allez. Hopefully, he doesn't run in to problem like he did last year. Can't wait for the draw to come out, just 5 more days :p.

MsTree
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Mind though Wimby do their own seedings partly based on results on grass - or have you already taken that into account?

lalaland
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Mind though Wimby do their own seedings partly based on results on grass - or have you already taken that into account?

I have, that's why I said bonus points. If he only wins 2 matches and get 45 pts, that's not enough to make any change in his ranking pts since his lowest 250 is 90 pts and winning 2 matches only gives him 45 pts. But it also gives him additional 45 bonus pts and that's the pts that will push him up in the seedings. These of course assumes that Almagro doesn't beat Rafa the next match (almost a certainty though). And Almagro didn't sign up for any grass tournament next week so he has no chance of adding any bonus pts.

I assume my calculation is correct, no guarantee though :p.

mike s.
06-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Allez Gilles, he'll need to serve well during the grass season to reach his potential. I hope he puts the disappointment of the FO behind him.

lalaland
06-09-2012, 06:56 PM
His half of the single draw:

1 Murray v BYE
Garcia-Lopez v Mahut
Q v Dimitrov
wc Broady v 14 Muller

9 Anderson v wc Ward
Cipolla v Stakhovsky
Ramirez Hidalgo v Darcis
BYE v 5 Lopez

4 Simon v BYE
Bolelli v Gulbis
Ungur v Malisse
Klizan v 13 Bogomolov Jr.

10 Nalbandian v Pospisil
Jaziri v L.Mayer
Roger-Vasselin v Q
BYE v 7 Roddick

It's not bad, I think. Hope he can win a couple of matches at least.

His quarter of the double draw:

6 Fleming/Hutchins v BYE
Roger-Vasselin/Simon v Darcis/Rochus
Elgin/Istomin v Bogomolov Jr./Cerretani
BYE v 2 Bryan/Bryan

Well, get some practice for double...

Allez Gilles, hope he has a good warmup tournament to get ready for Wimby.

MsTree
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Their doubs match is last on ct 2 on Tuesday. If it ever stops raining!

lalaland
06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
All doubles been removed from Tue's OOP, they are scrambling to get all the Singles done, understandably. But there's 2 courts that are done with Singles now including Center Court, it's only 7pm right now, do they have lights in Queen's? Oh well. Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow, and the day after...

lalaland
06-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Wed OOP:

Court 1
1st Match 11:30am start time
Simon Vs Bolelli

Court 10
3rd Match
ERV/Simon Vs Darcis/Rochus

MsTree
06-12-2012, 08:38 PM
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: ALLEZ!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

mike s.
06-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Any stream for Court 1? Either way, good luck Gilles!

Gillouthe best
06-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Hope he has an easy match vs Bolelli. Allez!

misty1
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
won the first set 6-4. Dropped the second set 3-6. Bolelli was serving for a breadstcik but he managed to get one break back before simone closed it out

6-4, 3-6

misty1
06-13-2012, 12:21 PM
just staved off 2 break points and held with his 8th ace

3-2 in the 3rd set on serve

GilleSimonAddict
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Gilles Simon loses to Simone Bolelli in...you guessed it, a tiebreak :rolleyes:. Oh Simon Simon Simon. :o

mike s.
06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Gilles. Great tiebreak again :rolleyes:

He always under-performs in these grass warmups. Glad he's playing the doubles to get more practice on the grass.

lalaland
06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Ah, well, too bad. Apparently hoping that he can win a couple of matches in Queen's is way too ambitious :lol:. But losing TB again :rolleyes:. Well, good luck in doubles, or whatever.

Gillouthe best
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
It's funny that he has won 1 match in 3 years in Queens :lol:, i guess he doesn't take this events so seriously.

lalaland
06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Well, at least he's healthy this year. 2009 he has a bummed knee and lost to Youzhny, 2010 he didn't play due to the knee, 2011 he retired from the match because of a bad back. This year he lost when completely healthy. So is it better that he's healthy or worse that he still lost :p? I do like him healthy, so I won't be too harsh on him then. Ah well, Queens won't matter as long as he wins some matches in Wimby, so he just better make sure he wins some matches in Wimby.

mike s.
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
If the courts are the same as they've been in the past, I think these courts are just a little too fast for him. Wimbledon tends to be a much better speed for him because they're quick enough that he can hit winners with his flat shots but slow enough that he can defend if he needs to. Plus, we know it takes him a while to get a rhythm on a surface and it's harder on grass for him because the points are so short.

It would have been nearly impossible for him to gain any meaningful points here anyway unless he won the title so no big deal as long as he got comfortable on the surface and stayed healthy.

lalaland
06-13-2012, 09:42 PM
If the courts are the same as they've been in the past, I think these courts are just a little too fast for him. Wimbledon tends to be a much better speed for him because they're quick enough that he can hit winners with his flat shots but slow enough that he can defend if he needs to. Plus, we know it takes him a while to get a rhythm on a surface and it's harder on grass for him because the points are so short.
Well, I think it's mostly bcos he needs more matches to adjust to a diff. surface. I don't think he's bad on grass. And he probably has chances to win today's match too. TB is just an entirely different problem for him regardless of the surface. But anyway, I'm not too worry. And for Wimby, it's all about what kind of draw he's getting. Fingers crossed for a good one.

It would have been nearly impossible for him to gain any meaningful points here anyway unless he won the title so no big deal as long as he got comfortable on the surface and stayed healthy.
Well, I was hoping for the bonus pts that could help boost his seeding, not that it matters a great deal since 12th seeding only comes to matter if he gets to 4th round of Wimby, and it's still a big IF there.

mike s.
06-13-2012, 11:23 PM
It's funny that Gilles is probably hoping to draw completely different players than the other guys seeded 13-16. I'm sure everyone else would want to get in Murray's section but Gilles would probably be happier with any of the other three.

MsTree
06-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Oh FFS!!!!

Wonder if he'll try for a wc for Eastbourne?

Gillouthe best
06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
He's playing the Boodles.

lalaland
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Wonder if he'll try for a wc for Eastbourne?

Eastbourne must be swamped with WC requests by now with all the seeds in Queen's dropping like flies :lol:.

But maybe he'll just go to the exo as planned instead of getting some real match play. I mean, he doesn't seem too concern about that loss though:
Gilles Simon (FRA, battu par l'Italien Simone Bolelli) : «C'est un tournoi difficile pour moi, j'ai dû y gagner un seul match. Je suis un des rares joueurs qui doit adapter son jeu à chaque changement de surface. Sur gazon, c'est dur, surtout au niveau du déplacement. Mais c'était quand même un bon match et il a très bien joué. J'arriverai encore à Wimbledon sans victoire (sur gazon) mais je ne m'affole pas car j'ai toujours bien joué là-bas.»

lalaland
06-18-2012, 05:28 AM
The Boodles
Order of Play
19 Jun 2012

Tuesday full schedule of play is as follows:
Tuesday 19th June
2.30pm
Janko Tipsarevic v Stanislas Wawrinka

followed by
Gilles Simon v Alexandr Dolgopolov

followed by
Fernando Verdasco v Ernests Gulbis

Hope he gets a good practice at The Boodles.

mike s.
06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Gilles was officially selected to the French Olympics team today along with Tsonga, Monfils, Gasquet and Llodra/Tsonga and Benneteau/Gasquet. Good luck Gilles during the extended grass season!

Gillouthe best
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
There is a stream for the match?

Gillouthe best
06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
According to Twitter, Gilles lost the 1st 4-6, but won the 2nd 6-3. Onto a super TB.

GilleSimonAddict
06-19-2012, 04:51 PM
There is a stream for the match?

The boodles website is supposed to be streaming it with their own player, but it hasn't worked yet which is really lame. It just keeps saying, "live event will start shortly" and doesn't change. I just have been following their twitter updates for the scores.

They just said that Gilles won the match 4-6, 6-3, 10-7 over Dolgopolov. Gilles winning it in a tiebreak :eek:?

Gillouthe best
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM
:lol:, pretty surprising, well done Gilllou :yeah:, @GilleSimonAddict, I agree with you, not having an stream while saying they have one which works is quite a bad move from the Boodles. Hope they fix it.

MsTree
06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Yay Gillou! :cheerleader: :D

lalaland
06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
From Twitter, Thurs OOP:

The Boodles ‏@TheBoodles
Full schedule starting at 2.30pm
@andy_murray v @DjokerNole
fb @delpotrojuan fb @thedolgo
fb @stanwawrinka v Gilles Simon

TennisFan2012
06-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Boodles has a pretty bad website. No scores are shown for today's matches--at least, none that can easily be found.

lalaland
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I guess they canceled Gilles/Wawa match. Play stopped during DelPo/Dolgo's match due to rain, and I can't quite tell if they resume or not, even the Boodles' twitter doesn't work :lol:. Maybe they figure no one cares about the score since it's a exo :p, so they don't bother to update either.

Gillouthe best
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Tough draw in Wimbly :mad:, R1 vs Mathieu ( he has never beated PHM), R2 vs Malisse ( who plays great on grass), R3 vs Verdasco and if he gets to R4 he plays Federer most likely

mike s.
06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Tough draw in Wimbly :mad:, R1 vs Mathieu ( he has never beated PHM), R2 vs Malisse ( who plays great on grass), R3 vs Verdasco and if he gets to R4 he plays Federer most likely

Yeah, horrible draw :mad:

lalaland
06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
:mad: damn draw.

Facing Frenchie has been troublesome for Gilles, facing a Frenchie he has never beaten before is double-trouble.
Well, good luck Gilles. One match at a time then we'll worry about R2 if he gets past Paulo.

(damn this draw, I love Paulo too :sad:)

mike s.
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah, and Paul has had pretty good results at Wimbledon the last couple of times he's played there. Oh well, Gilles is a better player than anyone else in his section if he plays to his capabilities. Plus, even though personally I didn't want Roger and Gilles in the same section, at least he's had success against Roger in the past.

Anyway, Gilles was practicing with Nadal today in the morning and afternoon, hopefully some of his success will rub off on Gilles :p Apparently there was some good-natured trash-talking going on between the two of them as well :lol:

Silver.
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Terrible draw :(

Well, (i'll try and contain my excitement here) looks like i'll be at Wimbledon day 1. Gilles is not on a show court so I will more than likely get to see him play live. FINALLY :D I will cheer him on like crazy. Cannot wait. I'll get pictures hopefully for you guys :)

Gillouthe best
06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Schedule for Tomorrow:
Court 18:
Starting at 11.30 AM:
(26) M.Youzhny (RUS) vs D.Young (USA)
P.Henri-Mathieu (FRA) vs (13) G.Simon (FRA)

Allez Gilles :)

mike s.
06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Thank goodness it's a tv court, good luck Gilles!

MsTree
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Kezzi
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Terrible draw :(

Well, (i'll try and contain my excitement here) looks like i'll be at Wimbledon day 1. Gilles is not on a show court so I will more than likely get to see him play live. FINALLY :D I will cheer him on like crazy. Cannot wait. I'll get pictures hopefully for you guys :)
That's great! Have fun! :D

misty1
06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
breaks for the first set

6-3:)

lalaland
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Gilles won the first set 6-3.

Paulo has such beautiful hair.

lalaland
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Broken in the first service game in Set 2 :rolleyes:

lalaland
06-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow, Paulo retired. He took a MTO 2 games ago but it didn't really look bad. But anyway, hopefully he's not too injured.

Gilles won 6-4, 5-4

Gillouthe best
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
A bit weird, I tought PHM was moving well, a pity that his first win over Mathieu was this way :sad:. Anyways, welcome to R2 Gillou!

misty1
06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
sucks that it came this way but im glad he gets to move on

mike s.
06-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Too bad for PHM but for a first round match I thought Gilles was playing well. His first serve was good today and he was hitting pretty aggressively. One match at a time.

Gilloulou
06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
i was praying for a series of injuries till the final, not bad! a win is a win and if it's in straight sets even better! now to jinx the rest of the field hehe

lalaland
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Paulo said he felt tension on top of the leg even before the match, he thought it would go away when he plays but it didn't, he didn't want to aggravate anything, he's not too worried but he prefers to be cautious (yes, better for him since he's so injury prone).

Gilles played well enough, The first set serve stat is very encouraging, 70% 1st serve. But by 2nd set, 1st serve % has dropped to mid 50%. Well, hopefully, he can keep serving well, cos that's like the most important on grass. It's good that the first match is short and not taxing. On the other hand though, I thought it's better for him to get more play time to get into rhythm. But anyway, we'll see what happen next round, against Malisse. Allez, Gilles.

MsTree
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Just watching it now - shame for PHM! :(

lalaland
06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Wed OOP:
Court 1, start time 1pm.
Rus Vs Stosur
Roddick Vs Baker (to finish)
Sharapova Vs Pironkova
Simon Vs Malisse

Allez Gilles.

mike s.
06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Allez Gilles! Good to see him on a showcourt but it will be a tough one!

Gillouthe best
06-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Allez Gilles :) ! He has a 2-0 H2H vs Xavier, and he will be motivated for the match taking into accont what Malisse said about him some years ago.

Cloudygirl
06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
he's made himself really popular I see from twitter by saying that the women don't deserve equal prize money

MsTree
06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
:lol:

lalaland
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
he's made himself really popular I see from twitter by saying that the women don't deserve equal prize money

Do u mean popular or unpopular? I guess depends on who you ask :lol:.

Based on this itw, he didn't say they don't deserve equal prize money though, he said tennis is the only sport that has equal prize money but men spent much more time on court, and men tennis is more attractive than women ...I agreed with him, except such non PC opinion he should keep to himself ;).

Here's the part of the presser:

Etes-vous vraiment défavorable aux tournois mixtes ?
Le tennis masculin est actuellement en avance par rapport au tennis féminin. A Roland-Garros, les joueurs ont encore passé beaucoup plus de temps sur le court que les femmes. Nous sommes le seul sport actuellement où il y ait une parité des prix entre les hommes et les femmes, alors que cela reste un spectacle et que le tennis masculin est plus attrayant que le tennis féminin.

Ne risquez-vous pas de vous attirer les foudres des associations féministes avec ce discours ?
Je m’en moque ! Quand les tournois deviennent des évènements combinés, c’est surtout pour sauver la semaine des filles. Quand à Rome, il y a 20 spectateurs pour assister à la finale dames et que l’année suivante, je ne peux pas m’entraîner sur le site une seule fois, parce que nous sommes trop nombreux, j’ai forcément les boules (sic). Et je pense que c’est légitime.

The whole itw is here:
http://www.sport24.com/tennis/wimbledon/actualites/simon-j-aurais-prefere-gagner-a-la-reguliere-565444

GilleSimonAddict
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
:worship: I love it! Gilles is right on the money with that. It's become so PC to not want to offend anybody these days at the expense of the truth, but Gilles doesn't care and he tells it like it is. Another thing about him that I view as a quality and not a blemish. I'd say Gilles has some set of balls on him to stand up and say that, but I think we all already know that if you catch my drift :lick:, but it's nice to see that he has a mental set as well.

Kezzi
06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Allez Gilou :yeah:

Tutu
06-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Do u mean popular or unpopular? I guess depends on who you ask :lol:.

Based on this itw, he didn't say they don't deserve equal prize money though, he said tennis is the only sport that has equal prize money but men spent much more time on court, and men tennis is more attractive than women ...I agreed with him, except such non PC opinion he should keep to himself ;).

Here's the part of the presser:

Etes-vous vraiment défavorable aux tournois mixtes ?
Le tennis masculin est actuellement en avance par rapport au tennis féminin. A Roland-Garros, les joueurs ont encore passé beaucoup plus de temps sur le court que les femmes. Nous sommes le seul sport actuellement où il y ait une parité des prix entre les hommes et les femmes, alors que cela reste un spectacle et que le tennis masculin est plus attrayant que le tennis féminin.

Ne risquez-vous pas de vous attirer les foudres des associations féministes avec ce discours ?
Je m’en moque ! Quand les tournois deviennent des évènements combinés, c’est surtout pour sauver la semaine des filles. Quand à Rome, il y a 20 spectateurs pour assister à la finale dames et que l’année suivante, je ne peux pas m’entraîner sur le site une seule fois, parce que nous sommes trop nombreux, j’ai forcément les boules (sic). Et je pense que c’est légitime.

The whole itw is here:
http://www.sport24.com/tennis/wimbledon/actualites/simon-j-aurais-prefere-gagner-a-la-reguliere-565444
Absolute BS. He needs to shut up and play, and stop talking about something that doesn't concern him. He's on the ATP council, so talk about issues relevant to the ATP.

mike s.
06-27-2012, 12:07 AM

Quite frankly, at this point he's right. The women's tour is an absolute mess right now and is at an all-time low in popularity. Regardless, the only thing I care about is that he's focused on his match against Malisse. Let's win this thing.

FlameOn
06-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Allez Gilles :bigclap:.

The Daily Mail article thinks that this is Gilles :spit:.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/27/article-2165239-13C7D873000005DC-627_468x330.jpg

misty1
06-27-2012, 12:16 AM
I tend to disagree with him. The womens tour at least has a very valid top 10 now as apposed to a couple years ago when wozniacki and zvonareva were 1 and 2

there's not one member of the top 10 on the wta tour who you can question being there, they all deserve it. I also think the quality is getting better, again certainly better than it was when we had wozniacki and zvonareva at the top

i dont know why the women dont go best of 5, its pretty clear that they do have the stamina..well some do anyway. I guess its just easier to do things this way in terms of running the tournament.

the only thing is that i dont know why it was even brought up since its not like him being elected to the council means he can do anything about it.

FlameOn
06-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Oh yeah almost forgot, it's true that the women's tour is a mess and unpopular compared to men's tennis these days, but it wasn't always that way. Back in the day, women's tennis was just as popular if not more. I don't think they should give women less prize money now, because someday things might change and women's tennis will rise to be more popular again. To lower and raise the prize money according to the popularity level would be a bit of a fiasco.

Plus on the flip-side, men's tennis is really quite boring right now. Nadull and Djokovic (although I am a fan of the Djoker) hogging all the slams is not fun. It's obvious one of them is going to win Wimbledon this year too. A different winner once in a while would be good. We haven't had one since Delpo won the USO in '09. I mean, it's not boring all the time to me because I have lots of faves who I like to see how they're doing, but towards the end of the slams? Yeah, it's a snoozefest.

For WTA haters, the problem is they're all screeching headcases/mugs. For ATP haters, the problem is it's boring because two guys are winning everything.

lalaland
06-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Absolute BS. He needs to shut up and play, and stop talking about something that doesn't concern him. He's on the ATP council, so talk about issues relevant to the ATP.

Ummmm, he's entitled to his own opinion, just like you and me. It is not like he put out a random tweet like for no good reason. He was asked about the mixed event and he thinks the event are only mixed bcos they need the men to help out the women. I can understand why players don't like mixed event, since the schedule is very congested in those events, esp a ATP1000 event with all those matches in a week time. Some players has to play at a very late schedule. And this happens because the men generate more revenue than the women and so it's in a way subsidizing the women event to support equal pay to both...I read an article awhile ago regarding AO 2009, they mentioned 4000 empty seats in Woman Final with Serene and Justine playing, and consequently, they have to freeze the price for Women Final the next year. Men Final was sold out and they increased the price $50...If you can't even find ppl to watch the Women Final with superstars playing, do you think the Men and Women event generates the same amount of revenue? There is legit reason for talking about it. I mean, what Janko said about women players is Sexism with a capital S, but talking about equal prize money is simply economic.

Well, anyhow. I'm sure Gilles doesn't need any distraction. Malisse is going to be real tough, a very good grass player. Gilles will need to play very well and serve great. I hope he can do that.

misty1
06-27-2012, 12:48 AM
i think one major complaint about the women getting equal prize money is that they dont play best of 5 and so if they dont why do they get the same prize money.

he is of course entitled to his oppinion as you say but i just dont get why anyone asks him about it since he really cant do anything about it.

i've seen joint events where its not just the women who struggle to draw big crowds and i've also seen events where the women gather more of a crowd. Its not that the wta is un popular its that there are more superstars on the mens side. Everyone knows who murray, nadal, djokovic and federer are and probably del potro and tsonga too but on the womens side most casul fans could probably only name sharapova, clijsters and williams.Those 2 anyway have no trouble drawing big crowds.

Tutu
06-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Ummmm, he's entitled to his own opinion, just like you and me. It is not like he put out a random tweet like for no good reason. He was asked about the mixed event and he thinks the event are only mixed bcos they need the men to help out the women. I can understand why players don't like mixed event, since the schedule is very congested in those events, esp a ATP1000 event with all those matches in a week time. Some players has to play at a very late schedule. And this happens because the men generate more revenue than the women and so it's in a way subsidizing the women event to support equal pay to both...I read an article awhile ago regarding AO 2009, they mentioned 4000 empty seats in Woman Final with Serene and Justine playing, and consequently, they have to freeze the price for Women Final the next year. Men Final was sold out and they increased the price $50...If you can't even find ppl to watch the Women Final with superstars playing, do you think the Men and Women event generates the same amount of revenue? There is legit reason for talking about it. I mean, what Janko said about women players is Sexism with a capital S, but talking about equal prize money is simply economic.

Had he made just this one point you made, I would agree that it's just his opinion. But there are about a handful of other articles out there which show more quotes from him, and he went on an on about how male players are more advanced, how womens sports should never be placed on the same level as men and women shouldn't be given the same prize money, blah blah blah. As I said, he needs to shut up and focus on the tennis.

And besides, contrary to Gilles' fairly:lol: inaccurate sources, most of the WTA tournaments were perfectly fine as separate events. It's not about subsidizing the WTA, it's simply that the WTA and ATP as a joint product are far better than as singular ones. They are almost presented as mini-slams, have more prestige and bring in more money, sponsorships etc. There's a reason why IW and Miami, which have been joint forever, are far bigger and better than the other events.

If the slams were to split into separate events, the ATP would do better as the tours stand now (although this could easily change post-big 3), but it wouldn't generate nearly as much revenue as one big joint event. That's all there is to it.

Anyway, back on topic...

mike s.
06-27-2012, 02:15 AM
I just hate that people assume if you don't support equal prize money in tennis that somehow you think women don't deserve equal pay for equal work and that you are somehow being sexist. The point is that they are not generating the same amount of revenue that the men do and are not spending the same amount of time on court. I prefer the joint system as a fan but if the men and women's majors were split, the amount of revenue generated by the two majors would not even be close and it's naive to think otherwise. It might be wrong but the vast majority of men (and a lot of women too) do not take women's sports seriously and therefore, are not as interested in watching women's sports.

Anyway, one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of Gilles is he is a smart guy who speaks his mind. I might disagree with him sometimes but you always know where he stands.

As lalaland said though lets get back to the tournament and the reason we all became supporters of Gilles in the first place, his tennis. Allez Gilles, I'm really nervous about this one!

lalaland
06-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Had he made just this one point you made, I would agree that it's just his opinion. But there are about a handful of other articles out there which show more quotes from him, and he went on an on about how male players are more advanced, how womens sports should never be placed on the same level as men and women shouldn't be given the same prize money, blah blah blah. As I said, he needs to shut up and focus on the tennis.

What I said were my interpretations of what I think could be his reasoning, and I'm sure different journalists run their imaginations thru his words in totally different way too. Besides, I also agreed male players are more advanced. One thing I don't like that turned me away from women game is that it's all about power. It's boring as hell. And I was a WTA fans back not too long ago when it wasn't all about bashing the balls and screaming. To me, Men tennis has much more variety and therefore a lot more interesting. Again, my opinion. I have a inkling that ppl who like ATP more is likely going to agree with him than ppl who like WTA more, like you. It's all a matter of opinions that tends to align with our preferences.

And besides, contrary to Gilles' fairly:lol: inaccurate sources, most of the WTA tournaments were perfectly fine as separate events. It's not about subsidizing the WTA, it's simply that the WTA and ATP as a joint product are far better than as singular ones. They are almost presented as mini-slams, have more prestige and bring in more money, sponsorships etc. There's a reason why IW and Miami, which have been joint forever, are far bigger and better than the other events.

Well, according to what I read, ATP's smaller tournaments prize money pool are 50K (18%) euros higher than WTA's, I wonder why. Could it be because they don't generate the same amount of revenue?

In the point of view of organizers, joint events are of course better, economy of scale that always help lower cost. Just think about how much advertising money that saved to promote both Men and Women event that held at the same time then the 2 events held at different time? How much more attractive a joint event is for attracting financing money. Therefore, I'm not saying that the joint event is made solely so the Men event can help out the Women. But I think it is definitely an element that is being considered when they form their business strategy. It's a good hedge.

If the slams were to split into separate events, the ATP would do better as the tours stand now (although this could easily change post-big 3), but it wouldn't generate nearly as much revenue as one big joint event. That's all there is to it.

I don't think Gilles is suggesting the slam to split, they have traditions, it has 2 weeks to play. He talks about Rome, a 1 week event with 6 rounds to play for each gender, that's a lot.

As I said, he needs to shut up and focus on the tennis.
Well, I don't think he can shut up now since he just got sucked in to the most controversial topic to comment on. I bet we won't heard the end of it. For sure the press won't let go until they milk it enough. And I can imagine the headline tomorrow if he loses: "Simon lost, next time he should shut his month and concentrate on his tennis" :p.

I hope he doesn't need to keep explaining himself for what he said and get distracted. I too rather he had said nothing to begin with, but that's because I rather him avoid this kind of attention. Here, ppl say to not talk about religion and politics in gatherings then all will be fine, there's a reason why we talk about weather all the time :p.

lalaland
06-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Anyway, one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of Gilles is he is a smart guy who speaks his mind. I might disagree with him sometimes but you always know where he stands.
Same here.

As lalaland said though lets get back to the tournament and the reason we all became supporters of Gilles in the first place, his tennis. Allez Gilles, I'm really nervous about this one!
Sorry Mike, didn't mean to drag this on. I hope this will go away soon so we can all concentrate on tennis.

MsTree
06-27-2012, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't pay to watch the women play - they're at nowhere near the same standard and their screeching gets on my tits. :devil:

GilleSimonAddict
06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I'm already tired of hearing the obvious "spin" being put on this that Gilles is somehow sexist when all he is doing is having the balls to speak the truth. This always happens because people get too sensitive about these types of things as they pertain to sex, race creed etc. and lose sight of common sense and the reality regarding the issue. I'm totally in agreement with Gilles and i'm not the only one, both as a fan, and people within the tennis community. Rumor has it that Nadal and Federer are right there with Gilles on this issue, they just don't have the balls/nerve to make it public, but that these are the types of issues a lot of the men on the tour are talking about amongst themselves and their peers and friends.

This article sums up my feelings on the issue perfectly and it is going back as recently as just this year's Australian Open 2012 final of the men and woman as a perfect example of the issue at hand. You know, that final where Nadal and Djokovic spent 5 hours and 53 minutes ravaging their bodies to determine a winner (5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7, 7-5) to the point that they both could barely stand during the trophy presentation, after Azarenka beat Sharapova 6-3 6-0 in under an hour and a halfs time :rolleyes:.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1049886-australian-open-2012-proves-that-equal-pay-must-mean-equal-play

Australian Open 2012 Proves That Equal Pay Must Mean Equal Play

I am not being sexist—I promise.

This is not just another one of those articles written by another one of those chauvinist guys who thinks that if women aren't running around in tight skirts and grunting in every point, then they don't deserve equality.

Trust me, that's not where I'm coming from and that's not at all what I'm trying to say.

What I am trying to say, however, is that the 2012 Australian Open proves once again that equal pay must mean equal playing time.

Is Victoria Azarenka to blame for the fact that her final was finished faster than one of the sets in the Djokovic-Nadal final? Not in the slightest.

But she shouldn't be allowed to benefit from it either.

Novak Djokovic played a total of 26 sets in the Australian Open. On average his sets went for 48.1 minutes, and he racked up more than 20 hours of playing time during the tournament—over double the playing time than that of his female counterpart.

Throughout the tournament, Azarenka played a total of 16 sets, and chalked up 634 minutes on court; averaging 39.6 minutes per set.

But putting this in context—Azarenka's entire tournament was shorted than Novak Djokovic's semi-final match against Andy Murray and his final against Rafael Nadal.

Now of course we all know that the Djokovic-Nadal final was well-publicized as being the longest final in history—going for just under six hours of play. However, when you compare that to the women's final where Victoria Azarenka defeated Maria Sharapova in just under an hour and a half. the gap seems a little more evident.

I understand that neither Djokovic or Azarenka deserves to be penalized for the strength (or lack of strength) of opposition they are up against.

Yet at the end of the day, in the age of equality, men and women should be on an equal playing field in all aspects of life—including the tennis court.

Think about it.

If Azarenka is that dominant over Sharapova, chances are she would take her in a third set if they had to reach three, and not two, to win.

We're not asking her to play five sets every time she plays, and we're not asking women's bodies to be able to be as strong and as fit as that of men—science proves that it's not always possible.

It's simply the truth that equal pay—receiving the same winning cheque for playing significantly less minutes over the span of the tournament—doesn't sound right.

Will it ever be changed? Maybe not, but I'm sure that's what people said about women's rights in the first place.

The world has come such a significant way that it seems only fair that for men and women to compete on the same stage, with the same factors at hand, they should have to achieve the same goal to receive the same prize.

Equal pay must mean equal play.

It's not sexist, and it's not bigotry—it's just common sense prevailing in an age-old debate.

Now somebody please tell me how they can argue with a straight face that the woman winner and runner up should be handed over a check that matches penny for penny the men's check after that. It is ridiculous and is very much at the heart of the issue that Gilles is arguing and that I am in complete agreement on him with. It's just common sense people. Save the sexist accusations for where it actually applies.

BlueLighthouse
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I agree with Gilles on the point that WTA generates less revenue than ATP in combined tournaments, therefore, the prize money should not be equal. The prize money should be in proportion with the revenue generated. Same as in normal business world. Company A staff get more bonus / raise than B if A generates more income than B. Gender and working hours are not relevant.

Of course in some case it could be more complicated if B is a subsidiaries or supporting unit to A - but ATP and WTA are totally separated entities. Shared facilities and shared income equally do not make sense.

People who mix sexism with this issue are the same as those who cry "racist" every time someone criticise Serena's behaviour.

misty1
06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
he's definately smart however he never should have said anything. This is a very touchy subject and one that could easily hurt him..actually it already is

i wish he was never asked because gilles is an oppinionated guy but sometimes being smart also knows when to just shut up.

but i guess maybe this should be the end of it and we should carry this on in the desiognated thread.

i like gilles, i might disagree with him on this one but that isnt going to make me change my mind on him.

Silver.
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Gilles :worship:

Completely and totally agree with him and very happy he spoke his mind. Love him all the more if that was possible.

Women's tennis is just.. I don't even try to watch it anymore.

mike s.
06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
It looks like Gilles probably won't get on today unfortunately.

By the way, this equal prize money thing is really blowing up, it is everywhere and they are asking every player about it in their post-match interview. He brought it on himself but I feel bad for him. I'm sure he didn't expect it to get this bad, hopefully some other players come to his defense to take some of the heat off because his opinion is likely the majority opinion in the locker room. I never thought he would become the story of Wimbledon :lol:

MsTree
06-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Gilles match is cancelled. :(

lalaland
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
i wish he was never asked because gilles is an oppinionated guy but sometimes being smart also knows when to just shut up.

I wish he didn't get asked, but I'm glad he wasn't too afraid to speak up either. We know he's opinionated and outspoken, so if he shies away from issues just because of the sensitivity of it, that wouldn't be like him.

It looks like Gilles probably won't get on today unfortunately.

By the way, this equal prize money thing is really blowing up, it is everywhere and they are asking every player about it in their post-match interview. He brought it on himself but I feel bad for him. I'm sure he didn't expect it to get this bad, hopefully some other players come to his defense to take some of the heat off because his opinion is likely the majority opinion in the locker room. I never thought he would become the story of Wimbledon :lol:

His match cancelled for the day. :mad::mad::mad:

The story of Wimbledon :o :lol:. He's gonna start getting hate mails :p. Maybe Janko will come to his defense :p:devil::rolleyes:, Nah...

mike s.
06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I wish he didn't get asked, but I'm glad he wasn't too afraid to speak up either. We know he's opinionated and outspoken, so if he shies away from issues just because of the sensitivity of it, that wouldn't be like him.

His match cancelled for the day. :mad::mad::mad:

The story of Wimbledon :o :lol:. He's gonna start getting hate mails :p. Maybe Janko will come to his defense :p:devil::rolleyes:, Nah...

We don't want Janko on our side, then it just makes Gilles look worse :lol:

Heather Watson and Alize Cornet were both understanding of his comments in their interviews so not all the WTA hates him now :p

The frustrating thing is whenever he loses here everyone's going to be so mean about it just for giving an opinion :rolleyes: Malisse is really tough so I really hope he's not distracted, I think it's probably a good thing he didn't play today.

lalaland
06-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Heather Watson and Alize Cornet were both understanding of his comments in their interviews so not all the WTA hates him now :p

The frustrating thing is whenever he loses here everyone's going to be so mean about it just for giving an opinion :rolleyes: Malisse is really tough so I really hope he's not distracted, I think it's probably a good thing he didn't play today.

True, no one should want to be associated with Janko.

Well, the headline won't be kind when he loses. But like you said, he said it, so he'll have to take the heat. This will blow over soon enough. He's not the first to say the same comment and will not be the last.

misty1
06-27-2012, 07:47 PM

funnily enough alot of the wta players probably would agree with him

lalaland
06-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Thursday Court 3 start time 11:30am
Simon Vs Malisse

Yes, I'm really nervous about this match, like Mike. Grass seems to be the best surface for Malisse, has a career grass record of 50-25, compares to Gilles' 21-17. Gilles has only played 2 grass matches the past 12 months, compare to Xman's 9 (7-2). To me, Xman is a favorite here, despite his ranking.

Allez Gilles. Hoping you get thru.

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Malisse is playing very well now, with more consistency than usal, few UE's, but Gilles is holding with him *3-4

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
He lost 1st set 6-4 :mad:, expected, X-Man was playing so well throughout the set. Stats:
4 Aces, 11 W, 7 UE's, 67% of 1st serves...

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
After being broken in his first service game he broke back with some great agressive play, including a jumping BH DTL winner to break Xavier, *1-2

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
He saved 4 BP's in the previous game, and then Malisse held to 30. Now it is *2-3.

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
*3-4, he saved 4 BP's again, and then X-Man saved two. Allez Gilles!

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Well, down 2 sets now, that's the end of it me think. He never came back from 2 sets down.

Well, I don't know what his mind set will be now. Hopefully, he doesn't give up. To me, Xman looks a little bit tired. And if Gilles can hang on, who knows.

Sucks that he just gave his serve away in both sets to lose, so he's always the 2nd to serve for all 3 sets, that proves to be a significant disadvantage.

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Things looking so bad, 4-6 4-6, he's playing well but not good enough to beat Xavier.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Very aggressive return game to break Malisse to open 3rd set, let's see if he can hang on to his own serve.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
:rolleyes: didn't hold his serve, so much for breaking. Very good game to break, very loose game to lose serve.

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
C'mon Gilles !

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Aggressive play to break again. He leads 2-1. Now, can he hold? C'mon, please Gilles, just hold.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
2nd set W/UE for Xman is 11/8 and Gilles 18/8. Amazing that he lost that 2nd set if you just look at the state. But it's really just down to the last game which he's tentative and Xmas is just going all out since the break will give him the set.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, he holds. Good job, I guess. C'mon Gilles, now is the time to take this match back, now or never. Allez!!!!!!

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
The mid section of Xman is kinda big for a sportsman. He looks a little bit laboring during pts, but his play hasn't diminished, still fast and hitting hard. Gilles needs to make him run more.

Gilles still up a break. Please hold Gilles, please hold.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
0-30 in no time. C'mon Gilles, do yourself a favor, hold serve.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Broken.:rolleyes:

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Damnit. Malisse 5-4. Back to the exact situation like the last 2 sets. Gilles has to hold serve to stay in this match.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
He holds this time. 5 All.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Xman holds at love. He has to hold again to stay alive, and if he does, it'll be TB :scared:. But a TB is better than a loss.

misty1
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
this is depressing if not expected

lalaland
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
If there's a must win TB, this is it. Gilles, you just need to win it.

misty1
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
early mini break

lalaland
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Good point to start, wrongfooted Xman and got a minibreak. Also good 2nd point, yoyoing Xman and led him to miss the last pt. Sadly, DF to give the break back, as usual. 2-1

misty1
06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
mini break back to malisse

2-1 gilles

lalaland
06-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Got another minibreak, now, can u please just hold, Gilles.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Nope. hitting the net :rolleyes:

3-3

lalaland
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
He's gonna lose this match soon, I think. Damn.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
That's it. He lost in 3 sets. Bye bye Wimbledon.
Not that it's much of an upset, still very disappointing GS performance. 2 second round loss and 1 third round loss this year in GS, it's pretty pathetic for a Top 15 players, sorry to have to say that but it's the truth.

W/E for Malisse 34/20 Simon 41/23.

mike s.
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM
So frustrating but once I looked at Malisse's results through the years on the grass I knew it was going to be extremely difficult. That said, I don't think Malisse did anything special and Gilles could have won if he took his chances. So tough being a fan of his :mad:

GilleSimonAddict
06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Honestly, there's just no words:rolleyes::facepalm:. It's just the same old sh#t with him. Can't play for crap in a tiebreak and always is the first to buckle under the pressure of big moments during the match. As a result, it's no coincidence that he lost both the 1st and 2nd sets when he had to serve down 4-5 to stay in the sets.

Well he's going to lose points here and i'm sure he won't defend his title in Hamburg so hopefully he can at least make it to the semis to help prevent a boat load of points lost, otherwise, he's going to find himself quickly way down the rankings :mad:.

misty1
06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
:sad:

Gillouthe best
06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Gilles :hug:, i don't know why but he never plays well on grass, his flat shots should adapt well. Today, he didn't played bad, saved a lot of BP's in 2nd set and then he got tight in the last game like in the 1st set. And then, like vs Wawa his inability to hold when leading is depressing. His stats were really good, he played good agressive tennis at times and some incredible shots but he made more mistakes than usual. Wasten chance, he could have got to Top-10 had he reached R4 and Almagro lost in R3. Now, let's hope he does the best he can in Hamburg, after all clay is his best surface this season.

mike s.
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Gilles :hug:, i don't know why but he never plays well on grass, his flat shots should adapt well. Today, he didn't played bad, saved a lot of BP's in 2nd set and then he got tight in the last game like in the 1st set. And then, like vs Wawa his inability to hold when leading is depressing. His stats were really good, he played good agressive tennis at times and some incredible shots but he made more mistakes than usual. Wasten chance, he could have got to Top-10 had he reached R4 and Almagro lost in R3. Now, let's hope he does the best he can in Hamburg, after all clay is his best surface this season.

I think the reason he doesn't do well on grass is that it's so dependent on winning important points and Gilles is just not the most mentally strong player out there. He loses so many close sets like the match against DelPotro last year and Malisse this year.

lalaland
06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
I think the most important thing on grass is the serve. And Gilles is just not consistent enough at serve. I guess it is related to mental strength, with his inconsistency on serve, he just not able to put out a good one on crucial pts. Today, Malisse serves much better, his first serves % was high and he won a lot of unreturnable serve pts. I mean, Gilles had 41 winners compared to Malisse's 34, and Gilles has only 3 more UEs than Xman. I think they count the aces as winners too. So the net W counts for Gilles would be 34 and Xman 24. Usually, when your W/UE differential is so much better, you shouldn't be losing in straight sets. But the unreturnable serve isn't in the stat. Malisse has a lot more of those. Also, I think Malisse was so much more steady in the match than Gilles because he believes he's a better grass player (results shown too). Normally, Xman is not such a consistent match player compare to Gilles. But today, he didn't crack, Gilles did. So it came down to confident, again.

Gilloulou
06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
2 second round loss and 1 third round loss this year in GS, it's pretty pathetic for a Top 15 players.

indeed. don't see any bright light for the rest of the season, i think mentally he's spent for the next few months.
at least nadal lost (though i like him, can't stand the way he's playing ever since he got hammered by djoko - well wrong thread but one has to find some sour joy elsewhere...)

Gilloulou
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
lol, at least he gets headlines this year, funny what serena said about him, though she was nice. what a silly move of him to say that. btw, anyone boo him today cause of that?

lalaland
06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
They applauded him nicely after the match. Maybe they agree with him.
L'Equipe has a poll http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Egalite-des-primes-pour-ou-contre/294379

Les primes de victoire en tournoi doivent-elles être les mêmes pour les hommes et pour les femmes ?
Oui 34%
Non 66%
7178 votes

mike s.
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Gilles is playing doubles with Chardy in Hamburg. Good luck guys!

lalaland
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Great. He won 3 double matches this year all with Jeremy on clay. It's definitely much more hopeful for him when he doubles up with Chardy.

Off topic.
I feel so sorry for Andy, his speech...made me cry. I hope he wins 1 one day.

FlameOn
07-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Such a contrast in styles between those two :lol:. Good luck Gilles and Jim :yeah:.

mike s.
07-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Great. He won 3 double matches this year all with Jeremy on clay. It's definitely much more hopeful for him when he doubles up with Chardy.

Off topic.
I feel so sorry for Andy, his speech...made me cry. I hope he wins 1 one day.

I was rooting for Roger but I definitely felt bad for Andy. He deserves to win a major and it was great to see him open up to the crowd like that in the speech. I'm sure he gained a lot more fans after his effort in the match and his speech after the match.

FlameOn
07-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Roger standing there smiling while Murray made that speech was a little sickening I have to say :o. Then I cast my mind back to '09 AO. He'd won 13 slams, cried like a baby and stole all Rafa's thunder. Ugh...then Wimbledon final VS Roddick '09 he said "I know what it's like to lose a Wimbledon final" when he'd already won 5 of them :o.

Roger is just THE ungracious loser or winner in a GS final.

lalaland
07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Roger standing there smiling while Murray made that speech was a little sickening I have to say :o. Then I cast my mind back to '09 AO. He'd won 13 slams, cried like a baby and stole all Rafa's thunder. Ugh...then Wimbledon final VS Roddick '09 he said "I know what it's like to lose a Wimbledon final" when he'd already won 5 of them :o.

Roger is just THE ungracious loser or winner in a GS final.

Roger has always rubbed me the wrong way for those things you mentioned and more. His supreme talent is undeniable, but his personality is far from desirable, to me anyway. And when you have god-gifted talent like that, it's easy to forget that there are less fortunate players out there (about 97% of all of them) who no matter what they do or how hard they try will never achieve 10% of what he had achieved. Okay, I better stop myself before I write an essay about my opinion on Fed here ;).

misty1
07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
roger is probably one of the most arrogant athletes out there and yet somehow he has fooled everyone into thinking he's this great, humble guy.

MsTree
07-09-2012, 10:19 PM
*sigh* for my two main tennis boys :/

mike s.
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I agree that Roger can be arrogant sometimes but there must be a reason that he wins all of the sportsmanship awards voted on by the players. I don't think he's that bad. Anyway, the reason I like him is his game so his personality isn't as big of an issue for me :p

Gillouthe best
07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Roger is so arrogant, and a sore loser. I remember that when Gillou beated him he gave him no credit, but when he defeated Gilles at AO 2011 he was so polite, etc... Also i remember some handshakes with Berdych in which he didn't even looked at his face.

lalaland
07-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Next tournament, The Olympics. Opening Ceremony on 27th, think Gilles will attend.

He'll be ranked 14 next monday, and seeded 12th for the Olympics draw, I think. Good luck Gilles, and hope he has fun and enjoys the Olympics experience.

GilleSimonAddict
07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I hope somebody will be able to snag a pic or screen grab of Gilles in the French get up they will be wearing for the Opening Ceremonies. Just in case Gilles sneaks by somehow and I miss it.

lalaland
07-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Hopefully, the camera will catch him in the Opening Ceremony in the French Olympics uniform.
I'm a bit sad that Gael withdrawal. I was really looking forward to see the 4 Musketeers marching in together :sad:.

MsTree
07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
A wee taster from the slice :) http://the-slice.com/2012/07/french-tennis-players-arrive-in-london-for-olympics/

http://the-slice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/610x31.jpg

GilleSimonAddict
07-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Good luck Gilles! :cheerleader:

mike s.
07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Hopefully, the camera will catch him in the Opening Ceremony in the French Olympics uniform.
I'm a bit sad that Gael withdrawal. I was really looking forward to see the 4 Musketeers marching in together :sad:.

Agreed, I'm sad his friend and doubles partner from '08 won't be there as well. I wonder if they ever even talked about the possibility of playing the Olympics together when they were younger.

Anyway, good luck Gilles, I don't have high expectations but hopefully he does his best and enjoys himself!

mike s.
07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
A wee taster from the slice :) http://the-slice.com/2012/07/french-tennis-players-arrive-in-london-for-olympics/

http://the-slice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/610x31.jpg

Great picture, thanks!

lalaland
07-26-2012, 04:52 PM
His half of the draw:

(1)Roger Federer (SUI) vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
(Ip)Adrian Ungur (ROU) vs Gilles Muller (LUX)
Denis Istomin (UZB) vs (14)Fernando Verdasco (ESP)

(10)John Isner (USA) vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) vs (Ip)Malek Jaziri (TUN)
Lukas Lacko (SVK) vs Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
David Nalbandian (ARG) vs (7)Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

(4)David Ferrer (ESP) vs (Ip)Vasek Pospisil (CAN)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs (Ip)Blaz Kavcic (SLO)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs (15)Kei Nishikori (JPN)

(12)Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs Donald Young (USA)
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs (8)Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

Not bad, I guess? Can't decide what could be considered as a good draw these days :p, so we'll have to see how he does to determine that.

Good luck Gillou!

MsTree
07-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Every draw is a tough draw atm! Allez Gillou though! :cheerleader:

Nole's draw is mental! :lol:

GilleSimonAddict
07-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Well, i'd say that he has a pretty good draw all things considered. At least he's not in Andy's section of the draw. I'd say he has a pretty good chance of making it to at least the 3rd round before he would have to face Del Potro. If he could somehow manage to get through him, then it would be Ferrer more than likely and the last time he faced him, he had his chances to win, but did another one of his recent unfortunate chokes. If he could get through him, then he would face Federer in the semis where his journey would likely end, but you never know. He beat Fed twice in the past on big stages so who knows. Either way, a semi final would be great and put him in contention for a possible bronze medal.

Fingers crossed! Good luck Gilles! :cheerleader:

The Prince
07-26-2012, 07:56 PM
A medal is not out of the question with his draw, you know. Very best of luck Gillou, though.

MsTree
07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
He plays at 17.30 on Sat ct 18 http://www.london2012.com/tennis/event/men-singles/index.html Allez!!!

lalaland
07-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Court 18. I wonder if there's any livestream.

mike s.
07-26-2012, 10:12 PM

I hope so, I would be annoyed if we couldn't see him play. His draw is good all things considered. Dimitrov and Del Potro will be tough but everyone has tough players. At least 5:30 is late enough that he can go to the Opening Ceremony and not be worried about being tired for his match.

mike s.
07-27-2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/jeux-olympiques-londres/2012/les-bleus-hors-du-village_sto3362602/story-london.shtml

My French isn't great but based on this article, it doesn't seem like Gilles will be at the Opening ceremony. The French players were all waiting to see if they got drawn on Saturday or Sunday to decide whether they would go to the ceremony. I think only Benneteau is going to stay. Gilles is staying at a house at Wimbledon with Richard and Jo.

lalaland
07-27-2012, 05:01 PM
It sounds like they haven't decided (at the point of press anyway), depends on who's playing sat or sun. So based on that, Jo and Richard are playing sun, Benny is going no matter what. Gilles, uncertain at that point. The Olympic village is 1.5 hr away from Wimbledon, so they moved out of the village to stay close to Wimby. But they keep several rooms in the village just in case if they are going to the ceremony, I think. I hope he's going, it'll be sad if everyone is going except him.

---------------

Edit: actually, everyone is playing on sat, Mika/Richard/Jo are playing double, Benny plays both and Gilles single. The girls are playing their double match too.

lalaland
07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
There is no live broadcast of the opening ceremony in US, is there? So annoying that we never got to see anything live here :mad:, especially us in the West Coast has to wait extra long to see it on our prime time.

Not sure I'll watch the crappy quality livestream on lshunter. If you guys see Gilles in Opening Ceremony, please do mention it so I can watch for it when I get to see it on TV. Thx.

mike s.
07-27-2012, 07:20 PM

From what someone said on TF, Court 18 is streamed so that's good news. I'll be watching the Opening Ceremony on the East Coast but unforutnately we are tape delayed a little bit here too.

MsTree
07-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I'll record it and if I catch even the merest glimpse of him I'll upload it.
Just started raining in London :tape:

lalaland
07-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks Les.

Oh bummer, rain.
Did I say the French uniform looks like ski jacket? Maybe it's raincoat :p. The French come prepared ;)

mike s.
07-27-2012, 07:51 PM

Right on time :lol:

Nothing big but I thought this was a nice comment from Alize:

Alizé Cornet : «Mon petit Gaël (Monfils) me manque. C’était super avec lui à Pékin. Il y a mon petit Gilou (Simon) pour rattraper.»

It really does seem like the French team gets along which is nice to see.

MsTree
07-27-2012, 10:00 PM
France have been past - didn't see any tennis players at all.

On the other hand Max Mirnyi :hearts:

lalaland
07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
France have been past - didn't see any tennis players at all.

:sad: guess a lot of tennis players can't go, I heard the UK tennis team is ordered to not attend the ceremony.

Oh, this is a fun bit, except that the Men Tennis team left the village since thurs morning according to L'Equipe. No wonder they were sad to go.

By The Associated Press
France's Olympic team has transformed a building on the Thames into party headquarters during the London Games.

In the shadow of Tower Bridge, "Club France" has it all: fashion, food, music, and - of course - marketing.

There was no shortage of corporate sponsors on hand Thursday night to mix and mingle with French athletes, and San Antonio guard Tony Parker was easily the star attraction. The point guard, who nearly lost his left eye when he was struck by a piece of broken glass during a brawl at a New York night club, bounced from room to room, shaking hands, taking pictures and making everyone feel welcome.

- Tom Withers - Twitter http://twitter.com/twithersAP

FlameOn
07-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Try your best at Olympics Gilles :hug:.

GilleSimonAddict
07-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Well I have to say that I think it is unfortunate that Gilles, and apparently any of the French tennis players from what I could see, didn't attend the Opening Ceremonies. None of them may very well get a medal of any kind, but they all could've definitely been a part of the spectacle and specialness that is the Opening Ceremonies and Gilles and the crew deserved to be a part of the walk of nations. It was a little sad to see so many of the other tennis players out there marching and in some cases carrying the flag of their country with their fellow athletes and looking to be having a ball, like Raonic, Wawrinka, Djokovic etc, and not see Simon out there doing the same.

Surely it wouldn't have hurt his chances. At least not anymore then the others who did decide to attend and at least he would've gotten to do one thing for sure because a medal isn't guaranteed, but the ceremony and the march was. Disappointing. Oh well C'est la vie I guess.

Good luck today Gilles! :cheerleader:

mike s.
07-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Well I have to say that I think it is unfortunate that Gilles, and apparently any of the French tennis players from what I could see, didn't attend the Opening Ceremonies. None of them may very well get a medal of any kind, but they all could've definitely been a part of the spectacle and specialness that is the Opening Ceremonies and Gilles and the crew deserved to be a part of the walk of nations. It was a little sad to see so many of the other tennis players out there marching and in some cases carrying the flag of their country with their fellow athletes and looking to be having a ball, like Raonic, Wawrinka, Djokovic etc, and not see Simon out there doing the same.

Surely it wouldn't have hurt his chances. At least not anymore then the others who did decide to attend and at least he would've gotten to do one thing for sure because a medal isn't guaranteed, but the ceremony and the march was. Disappointing. Oh well C'est la vie I guess.

Good luck today Gilles! :cheerleader:

At least he got to experience it in Beijing so it's not as big of a deal for him. Most of the other French players didn't so I hope Jo, Richard and Julien at least got to go. If I were them I would have gone anyway just to experience it once even though they have to play the next day. None of the gb tennis players weren't even there and it's their home country. They should maybe think about holding off events until the next day so all the athletes can experience the opening ceremonies.

lalaland
07-28-2012, 05:20 AM
Jo, Richard and Benny did go, saw their pics.

They said athletes have to stand around for 5-6 hours for the ceremony, quite a tiring thing to do if you have event the next day. So I guess Gilles had done that before in Beijing, maybe he chose to concentrate on the job tomorrow. Hope he plays well tomorrow and for the event.

MsTree
07-28-2012, 03:27 PM
He's on court. Looking hot! Allez!!! :cheerleader:

MsTree
07-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Yay! Gilles! 6-4 6-2 :dance:

mike s.
07-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Looked good :D

Good serving, aggressive play. Hopefully he keeps it up.

lalaland
07-28-2012, 04:47 PM
He played a clean match. 61% 1st serve, 13 aces, 26 winners, 11 UEs. Hope he keep it up. Next, Dimitrov. Allez Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Gilles played great today. Served well and didn't even face a break point or deuce game on his serve. Hope he can keep up his service rhythm. It will really make a difference for him once he reaches the tougher players if he can. Great job Gilles! :clap2:

mike s.
07-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Here's the google translate version of what he said after the match. Sorry for the rough translation :lol::

"Initially, I had some uncertainties because I lack of benchmarks on grass. I had a good game. I am very happy because my sore shoulder rose gradually. Today (Saturday), I was very very comfortable on my serve. He has not had any opportunity to take it and in these cases, I feel much calmer on the ground. I try to move forward, release me, to be more calm, relax, and make beautiful things I can do in training. I have little energy left in this game is good. Yesterday (Friday), I did not go to the opening ceremony of the Games because we did a lot of buses these days. And as I often have physical glitches here and there, I felt that the hour trip did not made ​​me well. It did not seem reasonable to go. If had not seen in Beijing, I would have gone anyway, but then, I preferred the field. My game today and I was right. " In the next round, he will face Grigor Dimitrov, the 53rd. "It's a complete player I faced everywhere, on all surfaces. I know he has gained confidence, but it will perform against him, I know what I should do. "

misty1
07-28-2012, 10:27 PM
happy to see him win this easy:)

lalaland
07-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Monday OOP

Court 18: 4th match Simon Vs Dimitrov
Not sure what the weather forecast is, hopefully it doesn't get rain out.

Allez Gilles!

MsTree
07-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Yay! :dance: Gillou on my TV! :cheerleader: A game and a set up too :hearts:

mike s.
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Gilles won 3 and 3. Gilles is playing well for a change :p Keep it up!

lalaland
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Easy win. He's been serving well these 2 matches, hope he can keep it up. Allez Gilles.

MsTree
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
He was looking :hearts: today as well as playing well!

Gilloulou
07-30-2012, 08:52 PM
2 wins in straight sets in a row! what are the odds... keep it up :]

Nagyovafan
07-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Anyone know where I could watch today's match???

lalaland
07-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Anyone know where I could watch today's match???

I think you can watch the replay on the NBCsports site:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/day=july-30/index.html

I haven't tried so I don't know if it works though.

lalaland
07-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Wed OOP:

Court 2, starts at 11:30 am
First match: Simon Vs Del Potro

Allez Gilles, don't make the same mistakes you made last time on grass against DelPo ;).

mike s.
07-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Wed OOP:

Court 2, starts at 11:30 am
First match: Simon Vs Del Potro

Allez Gilles, don't make the same mistakes you made last time on grass against DelPo ;).

Allez Gilles! Last match on grass was all mental, he lost all the big points. If he plays his best he can upset him here but it will be very tough.

lalaland
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
I was trying to be nice to not mention that :secret:he choked on the big points last time.

Srsly, don't do that again Gillou ;)

Oh, btw, Toronto next week, he's playing double with Jeremy :worship:. We'll need a new thread for Hardcourt season soon. But I don't want to rush it, he could last long this week ;).

mike s.
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Terrible start, two breaks down. So many errors and he seems so frustrated.

mike s.
08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Hopefully the delay helps him but he's such a slow starter that I don't know if it's good or bad he has to start over again. He needs to calm down and focus.

GilleSimonAddict
08-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Well he basically needs to go into the match when it resumes with his focus firmly on sets 2 and 3 because the 1st set is clearly gone. He needs to just use the remainder of the 1st set to warm himself back up and maybe find his rhythm on the serve that he had been having so well in the first and second rounds.

Either way it's going to be hard because Delpo has so many weapons to rely on to see him through. I figured this is what was going to happen but I just didn't want to say anything. I always get so tired of when the matches end up playing out exactly like I feared they would to begin with. I wish I could just be pleasantly surprised for once again when it comes to Gilles facing a top big guy rather than the same old same old outcome, but alas, it's not 2008 Gilles anymore. :sad:

lalaland
08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Well, he did beat DelPo the last time they met, so it's not like he can't handle him whatsoever, maybe just not today.

Allez Gilles. C'mon, do sth.

GilleSimonAddict
08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Big moment of truth coming up here for Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
YES!! Now that's the kind of pleasantly surprised i'm talkin' about.

lalaland
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
1 Set All.

C'mon Gilles, you can do it. Allez.

GilleSimonAddict
08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Siigh...

lalaland
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
He came up short, pity. :sad:

No time to dwell on the loss, Toronto awaits. Moving on...

GilleSimonAddict
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, the "becoming all too familiar" one crappy game that Gilles plays out of nowhere in the final set cost him the match. It's a shame to because he held comfortably every other game except that one where he gifted three errors on to Delpo and all he had to do was play one amazing shot where he got to the drop volley. So in essence, once again, Gilles has beaten himself more than as a result of his opponent. They just picked up the pieces.

It was a good run, but he could've and should've went farther.

mike s.
08-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Again, it's the mental walkabout that kills him. If he would have stayed focused after winning the second set, things could have been different. Oh well, at least he made it competitive but I really think he could have won this.

mike s.
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Well, the "becoming all too familiar" one crappy game that Gilles plays out of nowhere in the final set cost him the match. It's a shame to because he held comfortably every other game except that one where he gifted three errors on to Delpo and all he had to do was play one amazing shot where he got to the drop volley. So in essence, once again, Gilles has beaten himself more than as a result of his opponent. They just picked up the pieces.

It was a good run, but he could've and should've went farther.

Agree completely and we all know it's coming which makes it even more frustrating. I couldn't even enjoy the 2nd set win because I knew he would get broken straight away. Against other players he can make up for it but if he's playing someone like Delpo who's serving well that's basically handing him the match.

lalaland
08-01-2012, 05:33 PM
What he said after the match:

Face à un Juan Martin Del Potro, Gilles Simon, n'a tenu que le temps d'un second set. Battu 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, le Français a notamment subi les boulets de canon des services de l'Argentin et n'a eu, au troisième set, aucune occasion de break. «C'est un match qui me ressemble, dit-il avec regrets. Je commence un peu timide, j'ai du mal a laisser partir mes frappes, et lui, comme il sert vraiment très bien et que du fond, il ne rate pas, le début de match a été compliqué. Après, au second, j'ai réussi à m'y mettre, ça a commencé à s'équilibrer. Je retrouve quelques points gratuits au service, je laisse partir quelques bonnes balles du fond, je le retourne un peu plus...mais malheureusement, je fais deux mauvais coups de suite au début du troisième sur mon service (break à 1-0).»

«Ce mec là, bien aidé par ses deux mètres de haut, quand il est devant, c'est dur de revenir. »«Face à un joueur qui a un tel service, on est sous pression constamment, et c'est dur de jouer relâché. C'est dommage car j'avais de bonnes sensations. J'aurais pu sortir un bon match. Mais ce mec là, bien aidé par ses deux mètres de haut, quand il est devant, c'est dur de revenir. Au début, toutes les premières balles que je passe, il les retournait tout le temps dans le court?! Ça m'obligeait à en forcer quelques unes et à moins bien servir.» Jeudi, Gilles Simon quittera les Bleus et se préparera pour Toronto. Del Potro, lui, se préparera à affronter l'Espagnol David Ferrer (n°4) ou le Japonais Kei Nishikori (n°15).

mike s.
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
What he said after the match:

Face à un Juan Martin Del Potro, Gilles Simon, n'a tenu que le temps d'un second set. Battu 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, le Français a notamment subi les boulets de canon des services de l'Argentin et n'a eu, au troisième set, aucune occasion de break. «C'est un match qui me ressemble, dit-il avec regrets. Je commence un peu timide, j'ai du mal a laisser partir mes frappes, et lui, comme il sert vraiment très bien et que du fond, il ne rate pas, le début de match a été compliqué. Après, au second, j'ai réussi à m'y mettre, ça a commencé à s'équilibrer. Je retrouve quelques points gratuits au service, je laisse partir quelques bonnes balles du fond, je le retourne un peu plus...mais malheureusement, je fais deux mauvais coups de suite au début du troisième sur mon service (break à 1-0).»

«Ce mec là, bien aidé par ses deux mètres de haut, quand il est devant, c'est dur de revenir. »«Face à un joueur qui a un tel service, on est sous pression constamment, et c'est dur de jouer relâché. C'est dommage car j'avais de bonnes sensations. J'aurais pu sortir un bon match. Mais ce mec là, bien aidé par ses deux mètres de haut, quand il est devant, c'est dur de revenir. Au début, toutes les premières balles que je passe, il les retournait tout le temps dans le court?! Ça m'obligeait à en forcer quelques unes et à moins bien servir.» Jeudi, Gilles Simon quittera les Bleus et se préparera pour Toronto. Del Potro, lui, se préparera à affronter l'Espagnol David Ferrer (n°4) ou le Japonais Kei Nishikori (n°15).

Well, I'm glad he's going to Toronto tomorrow. He'll get a head start on some of the other top players preparing for hardcourts. Time for his best surface, hopefully he can match his points from last year over the next few weeks and then make a push in the indoor season. I think overall this week was his best form since he choked against Wawrinka so hopefully he doesn't get too discouraged. It's all mental at this point for him.

GilleSimonAddict
08-02-2012, 02:29 AM
:rolleyes: And of course I see Kei Nishikori ended up defeating Ferrer which would've been a much better match up for Gilles having to face the 15th seed instead of the 4th seed for a quarterfinal at the Olympic games. If he had just kept his sh#t together and beaten Delpo like he was capable of the way he had been serving and playing this week instead of handing the match over to him rather nonchalantly in one game in the third set, there's a really good chance Gilles could have been into the semifinals now with a small chance, because let's face it Federer hasn't looked unstoppable this week and may not even get past Isner, to make it to the Finals for a shot at scoring a gold or silver medal, not to mention a guaranteed shot at a bronze medal for at least making the semis. Oh Gilles, once again you've missed one hell of an opportunity.

lalaland
08-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Sorry, not meant to spoil you guys' fun for getting mad at Gilles. But Gilles had no break point in the 3rd set. Even if he didn't break himself with those UEs in that serve game, there is really no telling that he could break DelPo. Yes, I agree he is capable of winning this match, but he didn't and it was a combination of his own faults and DelPo's strong serving. I'm also quite mad that Gilles went his walkabout at beginning of Set 3 as he seems to always do, but I don't think the match was entirely on Gilles' racket, let's give DelPo some credit for winning it. If Gilles lost because he lost his concentration at some point, then DelPo should at least get the credit for not making that mistake, no? Besides, DelPo was much more effective in striking winners off Gilles' short balls, and when I said short balls, it's still only 2 feet off the baseline. To me, this match is much better than the last loss to DelPo in Wimby. The last time, he pretty much choked at the first 2 TBs when he has SPs. This one, he was never ahead and the loss seems way less painful.

Call me a pessimist, but even if Gilles made SF, what's his chance against Fed or Isner? Fed just won Wimbledon 3 weeks ago (and wasn't Fed at some pt in Wimby looking shaky? still he won at the end). Gilles had never beaten Isner on any surface in 3 tries. The worse case scenario for anyone gotten into the SF is that the person ended up 4th missing all the medals, plus the bronze match plays on sunday morning (probably facing Murray/Djokovic). Meaning he doesn't get to Canada until monday, no chance of getting enough time to get use to a new surface, ends up ruined his chance to do well next week in a bigger tournament point-wise... TBH, I don't feel too bad that he didn't get past today, considering his chance of actually getting a medal is really not that high. I rather him do well in the next 2 weeks. Of course I would love to see him beating a top player like DelPo, whom he beat just last USO. But while there is a lot regrets in losing a match like this, the opportunity really isn't as golden as it appears, is all I'm saying.

GilleSimonAddict
08-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Sorry, not meant to spoil you guys' fun for getting mad at Gilles.

Well first of all, I'm not "having fun" when I say what I say. Quite to the contrary actually. These kinds of losses devastate me personally because I want Gilles to have career-defining successes and not just a steady diet of the occasional 250 tier tournament win, so don't mistake my soapbox criticizing as merely "fun at Gilles' expense" because that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm as big a defender and fan as anyone when it comes to Gilles Simon and i'm not "mad" at Gilles, just disappointed in him letting slip another huge opportunity for something big to happen in his career like potentially winning a medal. Whether it be bronze, silver or even gold. Doesn't matter what place it is. It's because I care so much that I get so disappointed when he loses like this. I'm not going to be an apologist for him when he chokes though.

But Gilles had no break point in the 3rd set. Even if he didn't break himself with those UEs in that serve game, there is really no telling that he could break DelPo.

Why not? He did it in the 2nd set. It's not like he didn't break him the whole match. If he hadn't, then I would concede your point. But he figured out how to play Delpo in the second set and all he needed to do was continue to hold serve and give himself the chance to find an opening in the third but instead...well you know.

Yes, I agree he is capable of winning this match, but he didn't and it was a combination of his own faults and DelPo's strong serving. I'm also quite mad that Gilles went his walkabout at beginning of Set 3 as he seems to always do, but I don't think the match was entirely on Gilles' racket, let's give DelPo some credit for winning it. If Gilles lost because he lost his concentration at some point, then DelPo should at least get the credit for not making that mistake, no? Besides, DelPo was much more effective in striking winners off Gilles' short balls, and when I said short balls, it's still only 2 feet off the baseline. To me, this match is much better than the last loss to DelPo in Wimby. The last time, he pretty much choked at the first 2 TBs when he has SPs. This one, he was never ahead and the loss seems way less painful.

Sorry but I just can't see it the way you do about how Gilles lost to Delpo. Sure there was no guarantee that Gilles would win against Delpo, but the break that won Delpo the match was gifted to him, not taken from him and to me that sums up the loss in a nutshell. He basically gave away his first service game at 0-1 in the 3rd set which he has been doing too much as of late. He was up 15-0 and then hit a great drop volley which Delpo made and incredible get for such a big man and flicked it cross court for a winner. But that was only to get him to 15 all. Gilles was still firmly in control of the service game and there was certainly no reason for him to panic, but as usual, he did, and so then out of nowhere, he did what he has unfortunately been doing best as of late and proceeded under no duress to dump three straight easy rally shots where he wasn't even under any pressure or trying to be aggressive and hit the ball hard or being attacked by Delpo and gave a way the break which Delpo maintained for the rest of the set for the win. To me, that's not a "oh well better luck next time" loss. That's a, becoming par for the course scenario with Gilles that is keeping him out of contention for respectable showings at majors (like quarterfinals or later), title contention in smaller tier tournaments, and in this case, a potential Olympic medal. If Gilles ever wants to make it back into the top 10 or even lower, he's going to have to find his nerve again. I mean, look at Tsonga and how he keeps coming through these high pressure moments on the big stage. Gilles just keeps tucking his tale in between his legs and going away.

Call me a pessimist, but even if Gilles made SF, what's his chance against Fed or Isner? Fed just won Wimbledon 3 weeks ago (and wasn't Fed at some pt in Wimby looking shaky? still he won at the end). Gilles had never beaten Isner on any surface in 3 tries. The worse case scenario for anyone gotten into the SF is that the person ended up 4th missing all the medals, plus the bronze match plays on sunday morning (probably facing Murray/Djokovic). Meaning he doesn't get to Canada until monday, no chance of getting enough time to get use to a new surface, ends up ruined his chance to do well next week in a bigger tournament point-wise... TBH, I don't feel too bad that he didn't get past today, considering his chance of actually getting a medal is really not that high. I rather him do well in the next 2 weeks. Of course I would love to see him beating a top player like DelPo, whom he beat just last USO. But while there is a lot regrets in losing a match like this, the opportunity really isn't as golden as it appears, is all I'm saying.

You can't simply write the chance that was there for Gilles off just because the competition that awaited was even harder because you never know. I would've sworn that Simon would've had to have faced Ferrer next because he's been Mr. consistency this whole year and yet Nishikori won which would've been a huge break for Gilles to have to face him in the quarterfinals instead of the usual Murray or Djkovic etc. This draw was a huge opportunity for Gilles and, despite what you say, in my view, it was another case of Gilles letting the opportunity go and beating himself then getting flat out beat. I say that because like I said, Delpo didn't even have to do anything but play one good point in the game he broke Gilles for in the 3rd set. It's not like he just ravaged Gilles and he had no chance. Every other game that Gilles served in the 3rd set he held easily, but he already shot himself in the foot with his usual crap game where errors come out of nowhere. I call that choking not getting beat because Delpo didn't do anything to create those opportunities, Gilles gave it away to him instead and Delpo just picked up the pieces.

I'm glad that you are able to move on so easily to the next tournament. I wish I could too, but sometimes every now and then when Gilles loses the way he does and the disappointments pile up, it's not always that easy for me or some others, and as you can see, some of us need to just sulk and vent a little bit and express our disappointment before moving on. Surely there's no harm in that. It doesn't mean that we all of the sudden aren't Gilles Simon fans anymore. I for one will never stop being a Gilles Simon fan. It just means that we care enough to be disappointed and voice said disappointment. Hopefully you can understand. Everyone has a different take on things, this is just mine is all. :)

lalaland
08-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm glad that you are able to move on so easily to the next tournament. I wish I could too, but sometimes every now and then when Gilles loses the way he does and the disappointments pile up, it's not always that easy for me or some others, and as you can see, some of us need to just sulk and vent a little bit and express our disappointment before moving on. Surely there's no harm in that. It doesn't mean that we all of the sudden aren't Gilles Simon fans anymore. I for one will never stop being a Gilles Simon fan. It just means that we care enough to be disappointed and voice said disappointment. Hopefully you can understand. Everyone has a different take on things, this is just mine is all. :)

I am not at all against venting, I did that all the time. Nor was I criticizing your comments, but your comments did make me think about the match which I didn't think there was much to think about initially, hence my comments after yours. You offer a view, I offer the opposite view, that's all. I'm mad at Gilles from time to time, I don't see why you shouldn't. I'm the kind of fan who thinks we should all be unbiased about our fave, but I was hardly able to do so :p, I still try. When he choked or whatever, I get really pissed and said mean things all the time. If there's a person that has the right to tell any other fans to not do that, that person is not me. So I am not at all in any form trying to tell you to stop.

I said what I said is because I wonder why you guys are not giving any credit to DelPo. I mean, he didn't just stand there to wait for Gilles to slip, did he?

And regarding the medal, surely it would be great to have one. And I'm not at all saying that he's not capable of getting one, I'm saying, after fact mind you, that is how I see the situation now, that a medal is not guarantee, and since it's done and over, I have to look at the bright side, that he gets to go to Toronto sooner. This is my view to help me to move on. Yesterday, after he lost, I wonder a bit if that is it for him, he may never amount to any big thing. But I quickly stop myself from wondering. Because I don't know why I cheer for him so wholeheartedly all the time (well, I do know, but reason is not important), but I do and no amount of disappointment is likely to change that, unless someday he gives up, but thankfully that day hasn't come yet. I'm enjoying being a cheerleader of Gilles Simon, so there is my fun. And I'm sure you and others all feel the same, why else we endure the agony of seeing him letting opportunity slips away again and again, right?

I don't try to tell anyone he/she should move on, I moved on this time but some days it takes me days/weeks to get over the anger and disappointment. I'm glad I was able to this time, and if I can't move on next time, I do hope someone here who is able to move on gives me a perspective that could help ease the pain so to speak.

I love hanging around this forum, as you can tell. And if we all keep to ourselves and don't say anything on here then it's no fun, especially during tough time when I am so boiled up and no where to get rid of my frustration, here's the place I use to do just that. I just hope my fellow Simontards won't mind me too much. And by all mean, please say whatever you want to say and if you don't like what I said, give it to me.