Not Dating, but playing in, Paris! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Not Dating, but playing in, Paris!

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Holy Monkey Balls!!!!! First the Sox win the Series then Andy decides to play Paris????? What's going on and who's taken away my sense of normalcy? :haha: But not leaving til Saturday? :o

Andy to play TMS Paris
by: Kate Flory

10/28/2004 --

After withdrawing from both Madrid and Stockholm, we can confirm that Andy will be taking part in the last Masters Series event of the year, next week in Paris.

Andy has been struggling of late with knee and elbow injuries but he reports that recently he has been practicing strong, hitting the ball very well and is feeling good!

Team Roddick will be crossing the pond to Paris on Saturday, and arriving Sunday in preparation for the event. Andy has not played competitvely since he reached the final of Bangkok in September and is looking forward to it especially in the lead up to the Masters Cup in Houston and the eagerly awaited Davis Cup Final in Seville, Spain.

Although world number one Roger Federer is doubtful to play due to a thigh injury, the tournament still boasts a strong line up with world number three Lleyton Hewitt confirming his participation. He and Andy are both playing for the number two spot and will both want to do well. Also figuring in the draw is Madrid winner Marat Safin, and last year"s champion in Paris, Tim Henman.

Stay tuned to andyroddick.com for all the latest news from Paris

tangerine_dream
10-28-2004, 04:07 PM
See Debsie? You jumped the gun and it turns out that everything's OK. :D I trust Andy and his team know what they are doing.

We need a new theme for Andy, I think. The Duck thing seems to have run its course. We've used every duck word we could think of and a new year will begin. What do you all think? :scratch:

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 04:09 PM
:p

I thought of the title really quickly (and I was also still half-asleep)... as always if anyone suggests something better I shall change it :)

alfonsojose
10-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Let me think :scratch: ..
1) Paris want a duck ride in ... Paris :aplot:
2) Keeping the no. 2 in the race means zero chance of playing JesusFed in the RR at Houston

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 04:59 PM
LOL fonso! Glad you're coming to the Andy forum... you spice it up ;)

and yes, staying away from Fed for as long as possible should definitely be a big goal for Andy:p

Anouk10
10-28-2004, 05:13 PM
hehehe i saw the title of this topic and first i thought of something very, very different.. Paris.. omg :P

alfonsojose
10-28-2004, 05:24 PM
hehehe i saw the title of this topic and first i thought of something very, very different.. Paris.. omg :P

Anouk10. :eek: It reads "in Paris" not "inside Paris" ;) :angel:

Havok
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Quack Attack.:rocker: See he does have a brain, he wants to keep that #2 spot.

snaillyyy
10-28-2004, 06:33 PM
What is going on....did something happen with that lunar eclipse last night??!!! The Red Soxs win (YESSSS!!! WOOHOO) and Andy is going to Paris!!! Next thing I know someone is going to wake me up and tell me the US won Davis Cup :p ;) :rolls:

PinkFeatherBoa
10-28-2004, 07:34 PM
:woohoo: :eek::eek: Andy, great decision playing Paris. Really wasn't expecting him to play, that means I'm going to see him live yet again {about 4 times this year so far}.

Super decision Andy!

zoltan83
10-28-2004, 07:43 PM
:banghead: Does somebody have an idea why I refuse some tickets for this tournament because I wasn't sure to have time to go to Paris? :smash:

Anyway, nice decision for Andy!

Mr. Man
10-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Glad that he's playing. :D

Black Adam
10-28-2004, 08:03 PM
yeah....when was the last time he was seeded number one in a master series event......... i have been waiting for this occasion for many months now ;) :)

Havok
10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
He's never been #1 at a TMS, though he was the top seed at a Slam and at the TMC.:)

I think we should change the title to "Andy playing, not dating, Paris"

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 08:13 PM
oh Naldo! I love it!!!!

YAY Boa! :aparty:

Nicolas.... desolée :( :hug:

tangerine_dream
10-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Re: the USA actually winning Davis Cup. Hey, I believe that there's always room to squeeze another sports "miracle" out of 2004. :p ;)

Naldo, I like your thread title suggestion. LOL. :rocker:

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 08:16 PM
that's true, tangy.... if the sox can win the world series, I think ANYTHING is possible.

Pammy
10-28-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm glad b/c Andy will go to Paris and I hope he will reach the final and win it. Last year Tim Henman won this master. He must fight to finish the year as number 2.

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Pammy!! Welcome to our crazy place!

martirogi
10-28-2004, 08:34 PM
funniest title EVER

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 08:35 PM
I agree. Everyone :worship: Naldo :rocker2:

Golfnduck
10-28-2004, 08:43 PM
I hope he does well in Paris. Andy needs to keep that number 2 spot. I'm soo glad that golf season is over. It was long, but we ended it well.

J. Corwin
10-28-2004, 09:17 PM
I haven't come here in a few days and now Andy is all of a sudden playing in Paris :eek: :cool: I'm getting impatient, it's been a long title drought. :p

Welcome Pammy!

Jennay
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Awesome that Andy is playing Paris.

Great thread title :lol: ;)

tangerine_dream
10-28-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm a bit confused about players qualifying for Houston: I thought if you won a GS title you were automatic for the TMC? Is that not so? Because the RG winner Gaudio is listed in ninth place which means he won't qualify for Houston. Is this correct?

Federer, R. 1117
Roddick, A. 656
Hewitt, L. 613
Moya, C. 484
Coria, G. 480
Safin, M. 472
Henman, T. 458
Agassi, A. 402
Gaudio, G. 383

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 09:31 PM
No the rule is it's the top 7 players plus any slam winner in the top 20.

Gaudio is in no matter what, because he is mathematically certain to be in the top 20. So even though Andre is in 8th place, if all the qualified players were going to play, Andre would be the alternate.

andyroxmysox12191
10-28-2004, 10:47 PM
:eek: wow he's playing! amazing that is.....
:lol: great title deb....eerrr nAldo! :p happy? :lol:

Havok
10-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I came up with the title.:p

Deboogle!.
10-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Yes, you did, I even repped you for it ;)

superpinkone37
10-29-2004, 02:49 AM
great title Naldo!! :yeah:

and yay im so glad andy is going to paris :) :) :)

Neely
10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Good luck, Andy!

Hopefully he will be well for this TMS and for the Masters Cup!

star
10-29-2004, 02:22 PM
So, Andy got on the cover of TW but the caption isn't exactly promising. His Cup Runneth Empty.

tennisman.
10-29-2004, 02:55 PM
See Debsie? You jumped the gun and it turns out that everything's OK. :D I trust Andy and his team know what they are doing.

We need a new theme for Andy, I think. The Duck thing seems to have run its course. We've used every duck word we could think of and a new year will begin. What do you all think? :scratch:

Why do you call him duck?
I have been wondering it for a while now but i just dont get it.
Please explain it to me

melissa7
10-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Wow... he's actually playing in Paris... what a pleasant surprise.

I LOVE the title Naldo :worship:

Fumus
10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Wow he's going in and out of Paris on so many levels...;)

tangerine_dream
10-29-2004, 03:57 PM
So, Andy got on the cover of TW but the caption isn't exactly promising. His Cup Runneth Empty.

Yeah but what's even weirder is that there's no story to accompany the cover! LOL.

You know you're a star if they put on the cover of a magazine but don't bother to do a write-up. The picture and headline says it all, I guess. :lol:

Fumus
10-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah but what's even weirder is that there's no story to accompany the cover! LOL.

You know you're a star if they put on the cover of a magazine but don't bother to do a write-up. The picture and headline says it all, I guess. :lol:

There is a story...lol...silly face! But did you notice the big pimple above Andy's lip on the cover?

smucav
10-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Andy, the #1 seed, has a bye in the first round and will face either Thomas Johansson or Sargis Sargsian in the second round with potential showdowns with David Nalbandian in the quarters and Tim Henman or Andre Agassi in the semis.

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Tough draw :awww: he could get Gonzo in the third round. But this is carpet, it should favor Andy over most players. it's almost as fast as grass, really.

But it's a MS event, it could be worse, at least Safin is on the other side ;)

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 08:33 PM
From the tourney site

Mais Andy Roddick, lui, sera bien au rendez-vous. Récemment blessé au genou, l'Américain a fait longtemps planer le doute sur sa participation. Malgré son relatif manque de compétition, "A-Rod" figurera évidemment parmi les favoris.

Basically says.... but Andy, he'll be glad that Roger pulled out. Even though he's had trouble with his knee and there was doubt whether he would participate, he'll be one of the tournament favorites.
==========

TMS Paris Draw Released
by: Lucy Flory

PARIS BERCY -- 10/29/2004 --

The draw for the final Masters Series event of the year, in Paris Bercy has been released. World number one, Roger Federer, has withdrawn with a thigh injury, so Andy Roddick is the number one seed.

Andy has received a bye in the first round, and in the second round will face either Sargsian, or Thomas Johansson. Placed in a tough section of the draw, Gonzalez, Nalbandian, Henman and Agassi all potentially lie in Roddick"s path. In the other half of the draw, Hewitt, who is vying for the number two spot, will be staging his campaign.

Andy had much success at Paris Bercy last year, reaching the semi-finals before losing a close match to eventual champion, Tim Henman.

Andy is arriving in Paris on Sunday, and first round matches begin on Monday 1st November.

Stay tuned to AndyRoddick.com for a full preview.

RonE
10-29-2004, 09:05 PM
All right :yeah:

Good luck to him- I'd love to see another Roddick-Safin showdon :D Roddick-Andre will also be fine by me :banana:

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 09:08 PM
so because you get 3 points just for playing your first match, the way my math comes out, Hewitt has to make the final to overtake Andy in the champions race (even if Andy loses his first match) Right now Andy is 43 points ahead and you get 3 points for showing up and the SF is worth 45 points. Am I right? Too bad Lleyton's draw is a lot easier than Andy's (with the exception of Marat in the QF lol)

Havok
10-29-2004, 09:18 PM
No you don't. He got a BYE so if he loses in the 2nd round (andy's 1st match) he gets one point, not 3.

Jennay
10-29-2004, 09:20 PM
I want to see an Andy vs. David Quarterfinal :p

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 09:20 PM
why only one point? 1 point is not listed anywhere on the tournament. the way I read it, the fewest points you can get is 3. I know he has a bye so that if he were to lose his first match he only gets R64 points, but even that is worth 3.

W 100
€450,000

F 70
€225,000

SF 45
€112,500

QF 25
€56,600

R16 15
€28,430

R32 7
€15,000

R64 3
€7,500

alfonsojose
10-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Whne you receive a bye and lose, you get 1st round points. Rainer had a first round bye at Madrid , he lost and got 1 point only. If Andy wins, he gets 15 points for third round :)

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 09:29 PM
yes I know, but first round points in this tournament is THREE according to the ATP site.

Havok
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
:retard: What the hell is up with that? Aren't all 1st round losses worth 1 pt? That's why I got confused though, sorry about that.:o

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 09:31 PM
no it's ok, I am confused too!

Here is Madrid's breakdown
http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/profile/1536.asp

Here is Paris's
http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/profile/352.asp

I'm so confuzzled. i'll post it in GM and see if the rankings-smart people can help

alfonsojose
10-29-2004, 09:39 PM
It's wrong. 3 points in 2nd round are only for IW and Miami 'coz they have a 128 draw

Deboogle!.
10-29-2004, 09:41 PM
:banghead: can't they get this stuff right :banghead:

Well at least it wasn't me that messed up :)

J. Corwin
10-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Tough draw but I like it! Rematch and revenge on Gonzo, revenge on David, revenge on Tim or Andre lol (ok maybe no revenge on Andre ;)).

Golfnduck
10-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Revenge would be really sweet if he whooped David. I want him to beat Gonzo too, but I would love to see Andy kick David all over the court.

Deboogle!.
10-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Tough draw but I like it! Rematch and revenge on Gonzo, revenge on David, revenge on Tim or Andre lol (ok maybe no revenge on Andre ;)).

Yea, it's tough but it's ok. I'd pick ToJo over Sarge on a fast carpet surface. Andy beat ToJo without even facing BP just in Thailand, which would be a bit slower than Paris and Andy is way more rested and shouldn't have the jetlag problems, etc. Granted, he was playing so relaxed in Thailand, I hope he can do that again here. Then Gonzo - Andy should certainly be favored on carpet, Gonzo isn't known for his indoor prowess and Andy shouldn't be freaking out like he was at the Olympics. He should also be favored against David considering how badly David has played most of the year. He almost lost to Schuettler (and would have if Rainer hadn't choke-ied a bit) and we know Rainer's form... with Tim's form I wouldn't expect him to get to the semis and by then Andre could be pretty tired... so we'll see I wouldn't be surprised to see PimPim come through that quarter, actually. Another opportunity for revenge? ;) I'd like to see Andy just get to the QF of SF, keep a distance between him and Lleyton and just play a few matches. Obviously if he goes all the way that would be swell but as long as he's in good form and stays injury-free and all that, it'll be ok :) I'm just happy he made the decision to play. Yea I'll nit-pick and say I wish he got there today or even tomorrow, I don't see why he's waiting til Sunday, but he probably won't even play til Weds. so I guess it's alright :)

andyroxmysox12191
10-30-2004, 12:55 AM
eek! i'm sorta-kinda-not-really-actually-not liking this draw :retard:
oh well...he's playing. isn't that what i wanted? lol

Havok
10-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Revenge on David? David only managed to beat him once, and it was more than a year ago so no need to exact revenge over your own bitch.:lol: It would be nice for Andy to get revenge over, Agassi/Hemnan/PimPim though.;)

tangerine_dream
10-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Revenge on David? David only managed to beat him once, and it was more than a year ago so no need to exact revenge over your own bitch.:lol:

:haha: "revenge over your own bitch" :bigcry: You slay me, Naldo ;)

Havok
10-30-2004, 02:02 AM
:hatoff:

smucav
10-30-2004, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see PimPim come through that quarter PimPim retired today in Stockholm with a viral infection. He may not be back at full strength next week.

Deboogle!.
10-30-2004, 02:17 AM
yes that's true... so hmmmmm who will come through that quarter? Oh well let's hope Andy gets through his part of the draw first

tangerine_dream
10-30-2004, 02:29 AM
It's the end of the year and now they're all starting to fall like flies; injuries, sickness, burnout, tsk, tsk. http://www.terranuts.com/forums/images/smilies/nono2.gif

Havok
10-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Ack poor PimPim, he was really gunning to enter the top 10 and now he won't be able to do it this year if that viral infection will wreak havok on him next week. Bah he has a crapload of events next year to gain points from.:)

Golfnduck
10-30-2004, 04:46 AM
I don't know if David is Andy's bitch quite yet. The US Open was very close, and Andy was on a roll that summer.

2003 Basel, Carpet, S
Switzerland Carpet S Nalbandian 5 7 5 7
2003 US Open, Hard, S
NY, U.S.A. Hard S Roddick 6 7 3 6 7 6 6 1 6 3
2003 Canada TMS, Hard, F
Montreal, Canada Hard F Roddick 6 1 6 3
2002 Toronto TMS, Hard, Q
Toronto, Canada Hard Q Roddick 6 3 6 2

J. Corwin
10-30-2004, 05:03 AM
David beat him the last time they played so order has to be restored (;)) but I actually wouldn't mind David winning the whole shebang :eek:...poor guy deserves a title for once.

superpinkone37
10-30-2004, 06:56 AM
ugh...this is a pretty tough draw for andy. but he is playing, which is what i wanted in the first place. i dont expect him to win this at all, but i do hope he can get in some good wins :)

tennisman.
10-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Can someone tell me why do people call him Duck?

Deboogle!.
10-30-2004, 03:13 PM
tennisman, there were a couple of threads in this forum a few months back, you could try finding those. but basically t was a name that people who don't like Andy started, and to deflect the insults, we kind of adopted it and use it in fun now :) it's explained much better in the threads

RonE
10-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Can someone tell me why do people call him Duck?

Go to WTAworld, and find the username JonBcn- I think he was the one who started the whole thing by comparing Andy to Donald Duck.

Havok
10-30-2004, 03:50 PM
I don't know if David is Andy's bitch quite yet. The US Open was very close, and Andy was on a roll that summer.

2003 Basel, Carpet, S
Switzerland Carpet S Nalbandian 5 7 5 7
2003 US Open, Hard, S
NY, U.S.A. Hard S Roddick 6 7 3 6 7 6 6 1 6 3
2003 Canada TMS, Hard, F
Montreal, Canada Hard F Roddick 6 1 6 3
2002 Toronto TMS, Hard, Q
Toronto, Canada Hard Q Roddick 6 3 6 2
Roddick leads Nalbandian 3-1 = Bitch.

Havok
10-30-2004, 03:51 PM
David beat him the last time they played so order has to be restored (;)) but I actually wouldn't mind David winning the whole shebang :eek:...poor guy deserves a title for once.
True this dude needs a title and deserves it, but so do a lot of other players. Nalbandian needs some more hunger and fight when it counts the most, he's pretty bad in that area.:o

Deboogle!.
10-30-2004, 03:57 PM
So PimPim actually pulled out early today before qualies started. poor kid hope he feels better. Opens up Andre's draw pretty well if he can get past Haas again in R2. And one less potentially dangerous SF for Andy ;)

missroddickfan
10-30-2004, 04:32 PM
fedex and pimpim withdraw!!!!!! so andy will win!!!!

LET'S GO ANDY!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Havok
10-30-2004, 04:58 PM
:sad: So PimPim won't even be able to play the last tournament of the year, feel bad for him.:hug:

andyroxmysox12191
10-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I was starting to like Pimpim too :sad: poor dude :( :hug:

star
10-30-2004, 10:23 PM
He just needs to rest up..... go spend the holidays with Jaslyn and be ready to play in Adelaide. :)

tennisman.
10-31-2004, 11:36 AM
tennisman, there were a couple of threads in this forum a few months back, you could try finding those. but basically t was a name that people who don't like Andy started, and to deflect the insults, we kind of adopted it and use it in fun now :) it's explained much better in the threads

Ok Thanks Mate

Deboogle!.
10-31-2004, 02:35 PM
Paris Preview

10/31/2004 --

Andy will touch down in Paris on Sunday all set to play the last Masters Series event of the year at the Palais Omnisports, Paris Bercy. Being the last big event of the year before the Masters Cup in Houston, the Paris tournament is heavily weighted in importance by players hoping to guarantee their place amongst the elite eight.

Now this particular worry does not concern Andy as he has already booked his place in Houston, but he hasn"t, as yet, determined his year end ranking. Both he and Lleyton Hewitt are gunning for the number two spot in the Entry System, a ranking that would see them in the opposite half of the draw to Roger Federer at the Australian Open.

Despite Federer"s withdrawal in Paris, there is still plenty of talent residing in the main singles draw, all hoping for a year end trip to Texas. As the number one seed, Andy has been awarded a first round bye, putting him through to the second round where he will face either Thomas Johansson or Sargis Sargsian.

Thomas Johansson is best known for his Grand Slam victory at the Australian Open over Marat Safin in 2002. However since then, he has struggled through injury (missing all of 2003) and recently lost to Andy in Bangkok. Andy also recorded a win over the Swede at Wimbledon three years ago in a slightly closer encounter. Despite this, Johansson has reached the Stokholm final this weekend and is clearly hitting form at the right time.

Andy’s record against Sargsian is not quite as comfortable as he lost their most recent meeting at the French Open last year. However with the surface being considerably different and favoring Andy’s powerful game, Andy hopes to blast his way to the next round.

Should Andy progress to round three he is seeded to meet one of Chile"s Olympic heroes, and fellow SFX client, Fernando Gonzalez. What an exciting prospect that would be. It is difficult to find two harder hitting players in the men"s game. These two always have close, competitive encounters and have played on several important stages. If you get a seat for this match, try not to blink or you may miss one of those blistering forehands that will be aplenty on the Bercy main court.

Andy has not played competitively the last two weeks, but he"s back and raring to go. With Gonzalez, Nalbandian, Henman and Agassi all in Andy"s half of the draw, the sparks should be flying and we should be in for an exciting ride!

Deboogle!.
10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
blah so the qualifier put into Andy's section of the draw is Max. He plays Arazi with the winner to play Gonzo with the winner to play Andy assuming he wins his first match. Max on carpet will be really tough :(

superpinkone37
10-31-2004, 08:39 PM
ugh, yeah that would be a tough match. but even thomas johansson since he won today, could be tough

Deboogle!.
10-31-2004, 08:56 PM
ToJo should be pretty tired... and Andy should be able to beat him. ToJo said he played pretty much the match of his life today. That doesn't usually happen twice in a row ;)

superpinkone37
10-31-2004, 09:00 PM
oh wow. well i didnt know anything other than the score. and yeah, a match like that isnt gonna happen twice in a row......i hope

Deboogle!.
10-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Plus he still has to get past Sargsian, he's not a slouch of a player. Anyway, I think the third round will be Andy's toughest - especially if David is really hurt and ends up pulling out.

Fumus
11-01-2004, 05:03 AM
I predict - Andy doesn't win Paris

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Wow that's a deep prediction :o LOL

I predict he doesn't either. But really, considering some of the other exhaustions and injuries and whatnot... he *could* make the final. He hasn't played in a month, he should be way better-rested than he was last year and he played semi-:retard: and made the semis... this surface should be good for him. He should do pretty well, really...

Fumus
11-01-2004, 05:16 AM
ugh ugh ugh..if he doesn't win it I will cry

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 05:21 AM
:retard: I hope you're kidding ;)

Fumus
11-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Deb I am not kidding I can't take this kind of rejection right now from Andy.

smucav
11-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Agassi & Nalbandian withdrew today & were replaced by lucky losers, further opening Andy's quarter & half of the draw.

http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/news/lundi01/agassi0111.htm

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 02:42 PM
ohmygod.... if Andy can just get past the first couple rounds :tape:

Fumus
11-01-2004, 02:48 PM
If he can just serve...he can make his way to the semis..

tangerine_dream
11-01-2004, 03:42 PM
That sucks about Andre withdrawing. :sad: :banghead: Is there any chance he can still make it to Houston?

I'm worried about Andy getting through the first rounds, too. He hasn't had match play in a while and ToJo coming off a title win, and Beastie being Beastie will be tough opponents for him.

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 03:52 PM
ToJo could be totally exhausted. he has to get through Sargsian first. I'm way way more worried about Max than ToJo. Andy just beat ToJo relatively routinely in Thailand when he was exhausted, this is a month later and he's rested so yea. It's Max that has me :scared: he's plowing through Arazi right now and carpet is probably his best surface. Gonzo sucks indoors so it's probably gonna be a very battle-tested, match-tough Max in R3. I'll wait and see how Andy does in R2 before I turn totally pessimistic ;)

Andre will go to Houston if Coria/Federer/Moya don't play. He should be the alternate, regardless.

Carito_90
11-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Is Andy playin on Wednesday?

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 04:04 PM
yea ToJo and Sarge will play tomorrow :)

Hi Caro my name is Debra you must be new here ;)

tangerine_dream
11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Caro!!!! :D :hug:

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 04:53 PM
shit! Max beat Arazi 3 and 0 :eek: Brad better watch his match against Gonzo :eek:

Deboogle!.
11-01-2004, 09:00 PM
here's stuff from Bob Larson's look forward.... I don't like how he keeps referring to Andy's health. I would hope Andy would not play here if he weren't fit to :o

Of course, this analysis was done with two major players - Andre and David - still in the draw. I still maintain the third round against Mirnyi is gonna be a beast (pun intented;)) for Andy and if he can get past that, he can go deep
=====
#2, though, is more interesting. Roddick has the spot now, but leads Hewitt by only 43 Race points. If Roddick loses his opener, Hewitt can take the #2 spot (pending Houston) with a semifinal; if Roddick makes the third round, Hewitt becomes #2 with a final; if Hewitt wins, he take #2 unless Roddick makes the final.
=====

That leaves us with the Top Two seeds: Roddick and Hewitt. They've clinched spots at Houston, but the #2 ranking is on the line. Hewitt's path is a qualifier, then Nicolas Massu (talk about a nice way to open things up, especially since Massu is hurting). Then things get serious: Safin, then Haas or whoever comes out of Moya's quarter, then Roddick. The first key for Hewitt is Safin. If Roddick loses his opener to Johansson or Sargsian (which, given Roddick's health, is at least possible), then Hewitt takes #2 by beating Safin.

If Roddick beats Thomas Johansson, but loses to Fernando Gonzalez in the third round, then Hewitt has to beat Gaudio or someone in the semifinal to take the top spot.

Roddick, if he's healthy, really should win those matches. But from the quarterfinal on, it's not so obvious. First he faces Nalbandian, then Agassi or Henman. If Roddick loses either of those matches, then Hewitt is #2 by winning Paris. If Roddick wins them both, then it doesn't matter who he faces in the final; he's #2. And, of course, if he wins the final, it implies that he's close to 100% for Houston. Chances are good that, if he can win Paris, he'll be year-end #2. And, if he can win at Houston, he just might be able to contend for #1 at Melbourne.

Of course, that's true of Hewitt, too....

superpinkone37
11-02-2004, 01:16 AM
wow, his draw really has opened up...but he is gonna have some toughh opponents right from the beginning. im worried about max too.....

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Yea... I feel like if he can get through Max (who, I assume will beat Gonzo), he can go pretty deep into the tourney... but...their matches have always been quite close and Max has played a bunch of matches so he's "battle-tested".... oh well *sigh* He actually played Max last year in Madrid in his first match after having a long break and he managed to win even though he played like absolute trash from that point on at the end of the year... but still... Max is like the most dangerous qualifier of all, why did he have to be the one put in Andy's part of the draw *whines* LOL. Well at least Andy knows what to expect with him. Maybe he can practice with someone like Mardy and see a serve-volleyer or something.

Golfnduck
11-02-2004, 01:25 AM
I just hope he can win the whole damn thing and secure the #2 position which will be critical for the Aussie Open.

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Oh, he's not gonna win the whole thing... I'd bet my vcash on it.

(but Andy, if you feel like proving me wrong, please do!)

superpinkone37
11-02-2004, 01:44 AM
oh man, i wish he would win the whole thing. but he wont. but like you said, Deb, i dont mind being proven wrong in this case ;)

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 01:54 AM
the only time I like being wrong is when it deals with Andy ;)

Havok
11-02-2004, 01:58 AM
K Andy lets have a good showing here. :retard:

Carito_90
11-02-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi Caro my name is Debra you must be new here

uhmm... guess so ;) Hi Debbie :wavey:

:p

Caro!!!! :D :hug:

:hug: :hug: :kiss:

Mr. Man
11-02-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm with you there. Duck represent, man.

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Andy's match is at 7pm tomorrow Paris time, that's 1pm Eastern US time. Still don't know who he's playing though lol

zoltan83
11-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Not about Andy but about Ancic... During his match against Tsonga, he threw his racket and took it back. The racket seemed ok. So they played the next point... Look his racket after Ancic hits the ball :lol:

http://cache.****************/comp/51645321.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=CB711602F2C0BA5219A6486ACC128877A9C30E9B9B11 4CE8

tangerine_dream
11-02-2004, 05:30 PM

LOL. Not even Naldo's feeling too confident about Andy's chances in Paris. Should we be worried? I think if he can get through the first 2 or 3 rounds, he'll be home-free. He just needs to get into match-play mode. :banana:

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 05:34 PM
LOL Nicolas!!

and Tangy, I agree with you. The problem is that the first couple rounds will be the hardest players (ToJo most likely and Mirnyi most likely are both so tough on carpet, especially Max who appears to be in great form right now). That's the problem, he doesn't have a chance to ease back into match play. it's tough right from the get-go

Havok
11-02-2004, 05:40 PM
LOL. Not even Naldo's feeling too confident about Andy's chances in Paris. Should we be worried? I think if he can get through the first 2 or 3 rounds, he'll be home-free. He just needs to get into match-play mode. :banana:
No I'm not worried, I just don't want him to not care about this event. It can be crucial to him clinching the year end #2 spot.:p

and yay the match starts at 1 pm CET, my class is at 1:30 and is in the computer lab so I can follow it during class time.:)

Deboogle!.
11-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Andy doesn't typically go to events and not care about them. I'm not worried too much about that :) I'm more worried that he'll just run into a guy that's got more match play and is in a good groove and it'll get tight at the end of a set and in a tiebreak and Andy will go a little :retard: Hopefully he's been practicing hard with some players since he's been in Paris so at least he's done some good practice sets to get back in the groove.

Black Adam
11-02-2004, 07:37 PM
i liked it when andy defended the players who pulled ......... see the article on
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/041102/3/7csk.html
i really hope he wins this tournament :yeah:

snaillyyy
11-02-2004, 08:35 PM
So it is official Andy will be playing Sargsian tomorrow, maybe a slight (very slight) improvement over ToJo. :rolleyes:

Havok
11-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Ok Andy let's exact some revenge over one of your most pathetic losses ever and beat Sarg this time.:)

Black Adam
11-02-2004, 09:00 PM
i agree i want to see kick some ass here in paris ;)

Jennay
11-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Good luck Andy :banana:

Golfnduck
11-02-2004, 09:50 PM
i agree i want to see kick some ass here in paris ;)
TGS, I love your avatar!!! GO ANDY!!! KICK SOME ASS IN PARIS ANDY!!!

superpinkone37
11-03-2004, 02:59 AM
come on andy!!!

yeah i agree that andy should be able to go deep in this tournament, but he has to win these first few first. especially the way he likes to ease into a tournament before he starts playing really well-- its not gonna work that way this time.

ugh i will be at school for this match so i wont know till i get home at like 4 or 5. normally i can convince one of my teacher that i need to go to the library to check out a book or something and i check the internet, but our libray at school has been closed this week :(

Black Adam
11-03-2004, 07:59 AM
i think we are in for a A-ROD:Max mirnyi matchup in the second round

Black Adam
11-03-2004, 08:16 AM
TGS, I love your avatar!!! GO ANDY!!! KICK SOME ASS IN PARIS ANDY!!!

thnx ;) I kinda had to trim it in order for it to fit........ the original looks like this.....
http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~tennis/img059.jpg

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 03:11 PM
i think we are in for a A-ROD:Max mirnyi matchup in the second round

Well it'd be the third round, but yes, I think so too :scared:

This is from a Eurosport article about the Hewitt/Monfils match.... looks like there was a warmup act before the show ;)
----
COUNTDOWN TO SHOWTIME

The crowd had been whipped to frenzy, following the 'showboat' antics of top seed Andy Roddick and his coach Brad Gilbert on Court Central.

Roddick commented after an impromptu game of baseball that it was the most spectators they had ever practised in front of - 10,000 at a guess.

MaitaBaby
11-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Hope Andy does well! :)
When will his first round match begin?

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 03:39 PM
7pm Paris time... not sure where you're located so I can't help with what time that is where you are. it's 1pm US Eastern, though... 10am out here in US Pacific time... a little less than two and a half hours from when I'm typing this message....

hopefully something there helps you lol

Fumus
11-03-2004, 03:41 PM
7pm Paris time... not sure where you're located so I can't help with what time that is where you are. it's 1pm US Eastern, though... 10am out here in US Pacific time... a little less than two and a half hours from when I'm typing this message....

hopefully something there helps you lol

You could have made it simpler if you just said in about 2 and a half hours :p

MaitaBaby
11-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks! Yes, that helped :)

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 03:49 PM
You could have made it simpler if you just said in about 2 and a half hours :p

:p:p yes, but I thought of it after I'd written the rest lmao

Black Adam
11-03-2004, 04:29 PM
DEBSTAH:
Well it'd be the third round, but yes, I think so too :scared:

Andy always managed to handle max but they have been real close matchups...... players who play serve and volley like max and tim always give andy a hard time but hopefully he can handle them ;)

Fumus
11-03-2004, 07:03 PM
4-1 on big Sargy...

ataptc
11-03-2004, 07:11 PM
did I just see Andy with a shaved head?

Fumus
11-03-2004, 07:21 PM
hmmm...I will let you know how he looks when I go home and watch it on TTC

Fumus
11-03-2004, 07:23 PM
holy poopy 6-2, 3-0...Andy is making a statement with this beat down!!

ataptc
11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
okay so my tired eyes aren't playing tricks with me.. he REALLY did shave his head :eek: he's up 4-1 now..

ataptc
11-03-2004, 07:35 PM
and there goes my coverage to soccer!! :mad: just ask jiat how much starsports suck.. anyways, andy played quite well for his first match in weeks.. he was quite focused.. but that tummy still looks the same :o if i saw correctly, it is after all, 3:34am now.. ;)

snaillyyy
11-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Shaved head :eek: no cap, all in black and finishing Sarge off in less than an hour WOW!! got some place to be Andy :p :p

ataptc
11-03-2004, 07:39 PM
i know!! 51 minutes??? :eek:

RodFan08
11-03-2004, 07:45 PM
how short is it? Like earlier this year when he had a buzz cut or shorter? GOOD JOB ANDY:)

tangerine_dream
11-03-2004, 07:56 PM
6-2 6-2 in under an hour. Damn. Where's the spatula? :p

Awesome job Andy. Please keep it up. :yeah:

Aww, Andy ain't got no pineapple hair no mo' :bigcry:

Havok
11-03-2004, 08:06 PM
He always shaves it too short.:retard: Now he looks like Ljubicic :haha::haha:

Fumus
11-03-2004, 08:08 PM
lol...he'll never look like Lubraderm...anyways, I think it looks good and Andy played lights out. He wants it. So you can remove those this beats practicing avatars...he's serious out there. :cool:

andyroxmysox12191
11-03-2004, 08:24 PM
yaaaaaaaaay he won!!!! :banana: great job andy! and in 51 minutes....:eek: nice!
nnnnnnooooooooo he shaved the head :bigcry: he's got some issues again....:retard:

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Nice job Andy :yeah: great serving stats and nice job on BP conversions too. Next match will be much tougher though. You and BG better be watching them battle it out ;)

superpinkone37
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
:woohoo: good job andy!! :yeah:
i dont know the stats and all that, just the score, but the scoreline seems pretty convincing :) im on a teachers computer at school right now, but i needed to know who won so yay :) talk to ya all laters :wavey:

J. Corwin
11-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Awesome win Andy :yeah:
And he always seems to shave his head at this time of the year :lol:

(Just don't bring the headband back for Deb...;))

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 09:05 PM
yes, please!!! *begging*

At least he finally cut his hair. A happy medium length would be nice but it was just getting way way too long

Max is up a set and a break so it's looking like he's the one tomorrow. Andy's form today is certainly encouraging but you just know it will be a battle with Max. Hopefully Andy will be on his game from the get-go so we don't have to pray for max to choke :p

roisin
11-03-2004, 09:15 PM
andy was awesome tonight! yeah luv the hair (or lack of it for that matter) but i wasnt too keen on the black runners.....oh well! come on andy! ;)

tangerine_dream
11-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Roddick commented after an impromptu game of baseball that it was the most spectators they had ever practised in front of - 10,000 at a guess.

More proof that Andy is unpopular and hated throughout the world. :o

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 09:18 PM
well now, they weren't there for Andy, they were there for Monfils who was playing right after lol

Anyway, the Beast it is. BG best have been watching that match. It sounds like Gonzo choked a little with some double-faults at bad times but still, this is gonna be a match in a way different league from Sarge. :awww:

Fumus
11-03-2004, 09:32 PM
well now, they weren't there for Andy, they were there for Monfils who was playing right after lol

Anyway, the Beast it is. BG best have been watching that match. It sounds like Gonzo choked a little with some double-faults at bad times but still, this is gonna be a match in a way different league from Sarge. :awww:

waa waa, I'm alittle girl named Deb...ooo woo is Andy...lol. I like Andy's confidence. Andy wins in straights without the microphone bashing...lol

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 09:34 PM
waa waa, I'm alittle girl named Deb...ooo woo is Andy...lol. I like Andy's confidence. Andy wins in straights without the microphone bashing...lol
uh.... say WHAT?

Andy and Max play 4th on center court. Hopefully Andy remembers how to play tiebreakers, I bet there will be at least one. Luckily I will be in class ;)

Golfnduck
11-03-2004, 09:35 PM
WAY TO GO ANDY!!!! I like his hair short, just something about it :p Mirnyi will be a good test for Andy, but I'm predicting an Andy win.

Deboogle!.
11-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Andy only had 9UEs in the match and 18 winners, according to the tourney site :yeah: Let's play like that again tomorrow mmmmmmmmkay?

Golfnduck
11-03-2004, 09:46 PM
thnx ;) I kinda had to trim it in order for it to fit........ the original looks like this.....
http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~tennis/img059.jpg
Verry cool and you got it autographed by him too!!! :)

Jennay
11-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Nice win Andy :yeah:

But you cut your hair!!!! God that's horrible.. like Deb said, a happy medium would have been fine :rolleyes:

zoltan83
11-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Nice job Andy :yeah:

An easy win. A good start in this tournament.

Mr. Man
11-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Good win.

Carito_90
11-03-2004, 10:33 PM
I need to watch Andy-Mirnyi's match! Thank god they're gonna show it...
:worship: ESPN lol

Anyway... 2 things
1. Way to come back Andy ;)
2. Why WHY ON EARTH did u have to shave ur head.. again?! jeez :o

:)

Golfnduck
11-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Is ESPN gonna show the match???

Carito_90
11-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Just over here I think :p

Havok
11-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Yay, I might get the Roddick/Mirnyi match on tv tomorrow.:)

Rick V
11-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Didn't Andy beat Max in 3 sets last year at this event?

PinkFeatherBoa
11-04-2004, 12:33 AM
:cool:Awesome match from Andy, he was very focused and he kept the errors down. I only saw from the first changeover, can't remember from what score that was {was busy watching Jurgen on court one}, but what I saw he played very solidly. Obviously Max is going to a much tougher opponent but I'm fairly confident Andy will find a way to win. Good luck in the next round Andy. I'll probably write proper reports on this match and his one v max tomorrow when I get back to England, as well as my other experiences because I'm too lazy to do it right now and it's quite late here. Oh yeah, before I forget medium length hair would have looked better than this cut IMO but agree with Deb that it was getting too long. I do miss the pineapple myself but whatever helps him win his matches keeps me happy obviously. :)

MaitaBaby
11-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Good job on the win Andy! :banana:
He really played well during his 2nd round match. I hope he plays just as well against Max, he is a tougher opponent.

Neely
11-04-2004, 01:05 AM
WOW Neely, that's forceful!! But yea as Naldo said, he really needs to beat him since the time he lost to him is one of the worst of his career :o
ohhhhhhhhh sorry that I was so aggressive :angel: :angel: :angel: ;) .... ;) :yeah:

And it helped as Andy really killed him 6:2 6:2 ;)

I didn't see the match, but it sounds comfortable enough.
Better than losing and going home immediately after his first match.
He should get some match practise here for Masters Cup!

superpinkone37
11-04-2004, 01:24 AM
NOOOOO!!! he cut his hair!!!!!!! awww, couldnt he have at least just trimmed not, not practically shaved it off? oh well, we wont see him like this for long, and by january it will be ridiculously long again :p

but seriously, now that i have heard and read about how andy play today, im am happy :) only 9 UE!! :eek: :yeah: well, max is not gonna be as easy, but at least andy came out firing from the first round...well second in his case...and it sounds like he is playing very well :)

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I was just teasing you Neely :hug: I'm glad he "killed" him, or as our friend Bilbo would say, ripped him a new one

Boa! I hope you had a great time at the match :) Thanks for your take on it all.

Rick V, Andy beat Max last year at Madrid - this is a faster surface, which would theoretically help both players.

Sounds like Andy was pleased with his own form :yeah:
========

Roddick: “Yeah, you know, it was a relief. I haven't played a competitive match in close to a month now. So, you know, you can hit the ball well in practice, but unless you've been in a match situation you really don't know how it's going to go. Considering it was the first match, I couldn't have asked more from myself. I thought I hit the ball pretty well."

On the upcoming Davis Cup final: “For me, Davis Cup is on par with a Grand Slam, so hopefully, you know... Every person on our team has been so close to winning a major championship, but we haven't. We're kind of trying to use a combined effort to get there. You know, I didn't win a Slam, and that was definitely disappointing. But I'm trying not to let that overshadow the good things that I did accomplish this year. But it definitely gives me more motivation for next year.

superpinkone37
11-04-2004, 01:30 AM
well thats good then. we think he is playing well, he thinks he is playing well....:) we'll see how it goes tomorrow, but i have say i am a lot more optimitic after hearing how he played, and how he thinks he is playing

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 01:33 AM
there are nice audio files on both the ATP and tourney sites (they're different)

People are talking about the match against Sargsian today as revenge... hmmm I dunno... I think the loss against Sargsian is one of the most important matches Andy played last year. if he HADN't lost that match and decided he had to change some things... what would've happened!

superpinkone37
11-04-2004, 01:46 AM
yeah, thats very true. and anyways, andy could easily lose to anyone on clay, that just shows us how little confidence he has on clay...i hope he can get past that for the DC final, but im not too optimistic about that. anyways, your right, thats was a very important match last and who knows what might be now had he won that match...

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 01:48 AM
:) I mean, in some ways... Andy should thank Sarge for that match. just my opinion :)

Havok
11-04-2004, 02:25 AM
I think it would have happened anyways. We all know Gilbert was waiting for either Roddick or Safin to coach and Safin has made it very clear that he doesn't wanna work with Brad.

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 02:28 AM
I didn't just mean Brad.. Andy just seemed to sort of change his whole mindset towards his game, it woke him up and he was like "Whoa I need to change stuff"

Just let me be philosophical for a moment please :p

Andy... please beat Max tomorrow!

Peta Pan
11-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Argh, that's the awful shaved head that Oli Rochus brought to Australia this January!! As long as it's a presentable length by the Australian Open I'll be happy!

Go Andy... nice first up win!! :woohoo:

Havok
11-04-2004, 03:33 AM
lol it should be, he has 2 months to grow it out. Andy's lazy when it comes to hiarcuts. Instead of wasting literally nothing to get a haircut every month (what's 20$ to Andy:p) he just shaves it all off, then makes it grow back then cuts it off again after 4-5 months. What a lazy bum.:)

superpinkone37
11-04-2004, 04:39 AM
haha, well i like it when its long, so chances are when i see him (hopefully!) in march he wont have cut it and it will be all grown out

Golfnduck
11-04-2004, 02:31 PM
you know how andy should have his hair? tommy haas style.

sorry, couldn't post that with a straight face. (:
:unsure: :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Roddick plans Davis Cup assault
04/11/2004 12:01 - (AFP)

Paris - Andy Roddick is planning an all-out assault on next month's Davis Cup final clash with Spain to wipe away the misery of missing out on a Grand Slam title in 2004.

World number two Roddick will be a key player as the United States seek their 32nd Davis Cup crown on clay in Seville and the 22-year-old believes his lack of Grand Slam title this year will be an extra motivation.

"For me the Davis Cup is on a par with a Grand Slam," said Roddick.

"Every person on our team has been very close to winning a major championship, but we haven't done it. We are kind of trying to use a combined effort to get there."

Roddick has won four titles in 2004 - in San Jose, Miami, Queen's Club and Indianapolis - to take his career total to 15 but in the Grand Slams it was a blowout.

He lost to Marat Safin in the quarter-finals at the Australian Open, suffered a second round humiliation at the hands of Olivier Mutis at the French Open, was runner-up to Roger Federer at Wimbledon and a quarter-final loser to Joachim Johansson at the US Open.

"I didn't win a Slam and that was definitely disappointing. But I'm trying not to let that overshadow the good things that I did accomplish this year. It definitely gives me more motivation for next year."

Davis Cup is close to the heart of Roddick who is the top seed at the Paris Masters this week in the absence of Federer who is nursing a thigh injury.

Federer is so concerned about the wear and tear on his body caused by the relentless touring and playing that he has decided to skip the first round of Switzerland's Davis Cup schedule in 2005.

Roddick insists that he would find it hard to follow the Swiss star's example.

"I can understand his decision. I'm ecstatic to be in the Davis Cup final but at the same time it makes it an 11th month season which is unbelievable. No-one else has a season that long.

"So I can understand where Roger is coming from but at the same time I don't know if I would make that decision personally."

Roddick came into the Masters event here not having played for a month since his final loss to Federer in Bangkok but he insisted he needed the break with the Masters Cup in Houston and the Davis Cup final still to play.

"I was a little burnt. The summer was very long with so many big tournaments back to back especially with the US Open, then there's the Davis Cup. It just kept going.

"I needed a little bit of a mental break so it was nice."

Black Adam
11-04-2004, 04:38 PM
i just do not beleive he lost..... :eek: :sad: :sad:

tangerine_dream
11-04-2004, 04:41 PM
I do. Beastie's been on fire lately and Andy coming back from injury is good but not good enough. :) Well done to Beastie, he finally got one over on Andy.

I lost a lot of money today: I bet on Andy, Tim, and Tommy....they all lost today. What a strange tournament! :lol:

I also bet money on Lleyton. Yikes. :eek:

But if Lleyton wins this tournament does he overtake Andy for No. 2 or no?

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 04:42 PM
I do believe it, I said it all along the second I saw that Max was put into that spot in the draw... Max was going to beat him one of these times anyway, he had come close before, and Andy was way too match-rusty to be able to step up in a tiebreak or a tight situation. I mean he DF at 2-5 in the tiebreak, his first one of the match... why he fell apart in the second set, who knows, his aces went from 10-3 and more telling, his first serve % went from 68 to 42% :eek: That's a mental breakdown. but Max obviously was playing really well, especially serving and at net - this surface is good for him, and Andy wasn't match-tough enough to play a tough match like this.

Well, he didn't REALLY wanna be #2. Now he'll lose that plus he has basically no match play for Houston. Great.

Tangy, Lleyton is now #2 if he makes the final, and if he doesn't, Andy is still. In the race, anyway, I'm not sure how the Entry System shakes out but that's kinda moot at this point in the season anyway.

Black Adam
11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
i think andy is sitll number two coz lleyton is unlikely to get past OAF IN QUARTERS

tangerine_dream
11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
adeegee said this in the tourney forum:

can i just make a few comments on the roddick match today. i know most people on here dont actually like him, i'm quite a big fan myself but i thought everything about him today was disgraceful. fair play to max he played quite well, but for no.2 in the world andy's display was pretty embarassing.

1. he couldnt get a return in the court.
2. when he did finally make a return he messed up the next shot.
3. he didnt hit a backhand passed mirnyi all match.
4. a lot of the time mirnyi was popping up volleys, roddick could've run round it and hit a forehand a lot of the time but it looked like he couldnt be bothered and just hit a lame backhand.
5. although i find him quite funny on court usually, he made a few comments during the match which were well out of order.
6. the last few games he completely gave up, stopped running for balls, just hit his serve without really caring. one of the reasons i like him is he usually tries right till the end, but he just couldnt be arsed today.

-------

Sounds ugly. :ras:

Anyway, Debs, look at the bright side--- The Red Sox won the World Series!!! :woohoo: :aparty: :rolls: :hug:

http://tinypic.com/ds780

zoltan83
11-04-2004, 05:14 PM
What a bad day today... Andy lost :sad: Daniela too (against a player who is ranked beyond the Top 1000 :eek: ) :sad:

I don't believe that they lost...

I hope Andy will stay n° 2.

J. Corwin
11-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Andy giving up when he's usually a fighter. All too telling. :o

Havok
11-04-2004, 05:22 PM
The entry rankings and the race will look identical after the Paris TMS is over. I just hope the OAF doesn't turn into a friggin retard and can pose a threat to Lleyton because things are looking clear as can be for Hewitt at this tournament.

Golfnduck
11-04-2004, 06:49 PM
i just do not beleive he lost..... :eek: :sad: :sad:
I'm in shock too. All I have to say is "Damn you Andy!!!" I can't believe he threw the 2nd set

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 06:53 PM
oh god Andy.. ew. that's just disgusting. Thanks for giving the haters exactly what they want. We appreciate it. No excuse for giving up today. just took a nice long break and were mentally and physically fresh, there's nothing that should've been a problem, supposedly wanted to try to hold onto #2 and get some good match play in against good opponents before Houston. So disappointing.

According to the article on AR.com he was practicing well but had trouble executing his passing shots.

I've been saying for a while that his return is his biggest problem. A match like this just completely highlights that for me. He could only get ONE POINT on Max's first serve in the first set. that's unacceptable for a top 3 player. He HAS to work on this, I don't know how and I don't care but now he's at the point where anyone can serve really well beats him.

I wasn't annoyed with him about the loss until I read that, tangy. The fact that his first serve % went from 68% in the first set to 42% in the second says it all, he obviously just gave up. Really disappointing. I hope Lleyton gets the #2 now, teach Andy a frigging lesson.

Now he goes to Houston with like no play against good players. I hope he's #3 in the race, gets put in a round-robin group with Roger, Marat, and Tim and goes 0-3.

========

Mirnyi Advances Past Andy into Paris Quarterfinals

PARIS BERCY -- 11/4/2004 --

Andy had never lost a match to Max Mirnyi, until today. Earlier, Andy had practiced well with coach Brad Gilbert focusing on Mirnyi’s serve and volley style. Even though Andy’s passing shots were crisp and on the mark in practice, that same crispness did not follow him to the match.

The first set was very close as Mirnyi took the tiebreaker 7-6 (2). The second set did not begin well as Andy was broken in the first game when a backhand slice went long. Mirnyi’s confidence boosted, he kept the pressure on Andy and continued to protect his own serve and attack Andy’s. The result was Mirnyi taking the second set 6-2 sending him into the quarterfinals.

Andy later commented that Max played very well, not missing many volleys and doing more with returns than he normally does.

On his own performance, Andy said that he didn’t have a lot of rhythm and missed shots that are usually there for him. He added that he feels fine physically and is optimistic about Houston, beginning on November 15. Andy added, “Taking some time off is necessary, but then it takes some tough matches to get back in action and firing on all cylinders.”

Havok
11-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Why are you being such a hardass for?:retard: Wishing him #3, being put into that group and hoping he goes 0-3.:rolleyes: Teaching someone a lesson is one thing, but that's a bit overboard. Why don't you just kill the poor guy right at the end of his season before he gets mauled on the clay trying to win DC.

Mr. Man
11-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Sigh. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
11-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Why are you being such a hardass for?:retard: Wishing him #3, being put into that group and hoping he goes 0-3.:rolleyes: Teaching someone a lesson is one thing, but that's a bit overboard. Why don't you just kill the poor guy right at the end of his season before he gets mauled on the clay trying to win DC.

Naldo, have you ever heard of hyperbole? lol

tennisman.
11-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh man i have to say that i am disapointed to Andy's performance today.
Seems like his thought's were somewhere else,becouse no way will lose like that if plays he's best.
Hopefully he will get it together before Houston or at least before Australian Open it is not that faar away either,but all the best for you Andy,no matter what you are always the number 1 for us!

Black Adam
11-04-2004, 08:58 PM
except marat has to make it to the quarters first. he'd best, he's our only hope now!

well marat has taken a good start against melzer :yeah:

andyroxmysox12191
11-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I knew something bad would come out of a day where I had no school and my favorite show came back....
*since i cant make this a quote cause the quote button is being a bitch, lets just say i did* 1. he couldnt get a return in the court.
2. when he did finally make a return he messed up the next shot.
3. he didnt hit a backhand passed mirnyi all match.
4. a lot of the time mirnyi was popping up volleys, roddick could've run round it and hit a forehand a lot of the time but it looked like he couldnt be bothered and just hit a lame backhand.
5. although i find him quite funny on court usually, he made a few comments during the match which were well out of order.
6. the last few games he completely gave up, stopped running for balls, just hit his serve without really caring. one of the reasons i like him is he usually tries right till the end, but he just couldnt be arsed today. *unquote*
that's just horrible....very nice andy....good job *note that my voice is dripping with sarcasm*

PinkFeatherBoa
11-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Andy's loss... brief summary for today, proper report tomorrow- including my interesting convo with Andy about hair- I don't know what I was thinking. :o

Andy's played OK in the first set but his serve wasn't firing too good in the second, I think there were a lot of ue's in the second set, not sure. He had a lot of problems reading Max's serve though. His return of serve was :banghead: at most points of the match, he hit the most spectacular mishits. (; Like adegee's said it in the tournie thread it did seem like he was giving up a little towards the end, which was a bit frustrating. All credit to Max though, he played a really a good match and his serve was "on".

I think he was thinking of the other Paris perhaps today. (;

Jennay
11-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Blah, you should never give up. :retard: Hopefully he'll still have his #2 ranking.

Deboogle!.
11-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Blah, you should never give up. :retard: Hopefully he'll still have his #2 ranking.

Yea, but now he's let it get out of his hands. Maybe he took Marat out to dinner tonight or something :o

Thanks Boa for your summary, looking forward to hearing the conversation you had with him LMFAO!

I'm still so disappointed in Andy's giving up and his behavior today. Max is a great player and there's nothing wrong with being outplayed by him especially consdering how close their matches always have been, but in that fashion looking like such a jerk and noticeably giving up? that's what irks me.

Deboogle!.
11-05-2004, 12:32 AM
:rolleyes:

Roddick: “He played well. I mean, he always serves well. You know, that's a given. But I thought he didn't miss many volleys today, and he was doing a lot more with his returns than he has in matches past against me. So, you know, it's a credit to him. He played well. I mean, you know going in there's not going to be a whole lot of rhythm. You get off the court not really feeling like you've done a whole lot for the day. That's one of the things that makes him effective. I missed some shots that I don't normally miss because you think about them a little bit more because you don't get to hit them that often in a match like that. That's one of the things that makes him tough, though.”

On going into Houston: “I'm going to feel fine. If I'm not mistaken, there are a bunch of other guys in the field, too, that haven't had that many matches going in. I know I'm not alone. Like I said, I feel like I'm hitting the ball great. You know, I felt prepared here. I'll probably get there and play a couple practice sets, get there early, and will give it a go. I'm not super worried.”

http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/audio/roddick0411.ram

Fumus
11-05-2004, 02:08 PM
It seemed like Andy was practicing some new stuff. He wasn't running around his fh to hit the inside out. He was just using his backhand to create passing shots. He was using a variety of serves, he also was standing inide the baseline to return.:eek: I was ooo happy!! He is using the slice bh in rallies a bit more and it looks sharp(no pun intended). I have to tell you that the slice really has improved, it would make Deb say "hit it again!!"

The first set was rough, Andy was so frustrated because he wasn't serving well and Max was getting in his service games. Andy was standing alot closer to return serve and was getting aced alot, he either miss the ROS, hit a winner, just hit a really good shot so he could dicatate the rallies. I was soo happy to see him stand close. I didn't care that he lost, I could tell was working on things(that made me happy).

In the second set, after some bad calls, and great points by Max in the TB it looked like Andy just gave up. Let's be honest he doesn't like playing Milwaukee's best(beast). Max took his usual ten minutes in between points to serve/return a ball. Andy was freaking out the whole time, he stood durning changeovers, and chucked his racquet around. He was soo out of it by the end of the match Andy wasn't even playing points, he was just sticking his racquet out, his footwork was gone. It was sad really, and I wanted to cry. ;) Then I remembered that Andy is number 2 in the world and Max is a big doofy ouf, so it all evens out...lol..

In short, I am sad Andy lost but, his improvements on the two-handed backhand, the slice, and the ROS can really be seen. I am sooo proud of that. If he can groom those areas to be consistantly good(because he did have moments when they were awesome), he will be in closer contension for number 1 next year.

Deboogle!.
11-05-2004, 02:45 PM
:hug: Thanks for that, it makes me feel a little better. It's still disappointing that he gave up and his behavior is disappointing as well. But him not being afraid to try new things during a match is something I do like about him. when a #2 ranking is on the line and you're playing someone you've always had very close matches with and you haven't played for a month, I'm not sure if that's a great time to try all these new things at once, but credit to him for trying I guess :)

Havok
11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Uh... I watched the first set from 3 all and his backhand was beyond pathetic. A tank in the tie-break and then I went to bed because I needed sleep. I agree with the slices though, well the few that I saw anyways.

Fumus
11-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Yea but the ROS is alot closer to the BL

Havok
11-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Bope, it was at night and I was in bed. My eyes are :retard: so I didn't really notice where he was standing on the ROS. All I know is that he was dumb and tried to guess where the ball was going and missed.

MisterQ
11-05-2004, 05:50 PM
It seemed like Andy was practicing some new stuff. He wasn't running around his fh to hit the inside out. He was just using his backhand to create passing shots. He was using a variety of serves, he also was standing inide the baseline to return.:eek: I was ooo happy!! He is using the slice bh in rallies a bit more and it looks sharp(no pun intended). I have to tell you that the slice really has improved, it would make Deb say "hit it again!!"

The first set was rough, Andy was so frustrated because he wasn't serving well and Max was getting in his service games. Andy was standing alot closer to return serve and was getting aced alot, he either miss the ROS, hit a winner, just hit a really good shot so he could dicatate the rallies. I was soo happy to see him stand close. I didn't care that he lost, I could tell was working on things(that made me happy).

In the second set, after some bad calls, and great points by Max in the TB it looked like Andy just gave up. Let's be honest he doesn't like playing Milwaukee's best(beast). Max took his usual ten minutes in between points to serve/return a ball. Andy was freaking out the whole time, he stood durning changeovers, and chucked his racquet around. He was soo out of it by the end of the match Andy wasn't even playing points, he was just sticking his racquet out, his footwork was gone. It was sad really, and I wanted to cry. ;) Then I remembered that Andy is number 2 in the world and Max is a big doofy ouf, so it all evens out...lol..

In short, I am sad Andy lost but, his improvements on the two-handed backhand, the slice, and the ROS can really be seen. I am sooo proud of that. If he can groom those areas to be consistantly good(because he did have moments when they were awesome), he will be in closer contension for number 1 next year.

:yeah: good for him. If he is indeed making these kinds of improvments, he may need to take a step back before taking two steps forward... Remember Tiger Woods between 1997 and 2000, when he had great success and then decided to work on his swing. well his results fell and everyone criticised him, but then he ended up winning four majors in a row.

Deboogle!.
11-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Well I hope he just keeps working on everything. Great that he tried these things in a match, but maybe he's better off doing one change per match, it sounds like he may have been trying too many different things at once? But again, credit to him for trying.

Marat is up a set and a break on Lleyton. Andy might owe him big.

I guess I spoke too soon, Marat was just broken serving for the match:o

Golfnduck
11-05-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm glad to hear that Andy is improving. It sucks when he gets too worked-up about bad calls. He needs to learn to get over them faster. I'm looking forward to Houston since I finally get tv coverage :bounce: Hopefully Marat can win the 2nd set and beat Lleyton

Deboogle!.
11-05-2004, 06:45 PM
It sucks when he gets too worked-up about bad calls. He needs to learn to get over them faster.

What's odd for me is that he went through a period at the end of last year and early this season where he WAS better about it.. but lately he seems to have sort of regressed a little or something, I dunno. For sure his mental game is more disconcerting for me lately than a lot of what he's actually doing technically.

Golfnduck
11-05-2004, 06:46 PM
I think that's why Federer is soo good. He doesn't let those calls get to him because he knows that he'll hit good shots. Andy just needs to realize that calls are not in his hands and just get over them.

Black Adam
11-05-2004, 06:56 PM
good........ at least andy will be number two till houston coz potato was taught a lesson by OAF

tangerine_dream
11-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Well I guess Andy's ranking is safe for now. Hippo sat on the potato and mashed him. :sad: Poor Lleyton, he must've lost so much confidence since being annihilated by Roger at USO plus losing Kimmie? I thought he would put up a harder fight than that.

So now it's all going to come down to Houston. Houston's going to be a bloody battle.

Deboogle!.
11-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Yea, it's safe "for now" - Lleyton did pick up 10 points on Andy though, which could be significant, since each RR win at TMC is worth 20 points, having a lead of 40+ points would've been better. But, the ball is back in his court now and he can help control his own destiny again :p

Deboogle!.
11-06-2004, 01:09 AM
from Bob Larson's Daily Tennis column:

Men's Match of the Day
Paris - Third Round
Max Mirnyi (Q) def. Andy Roddick (1) 7-6(7-2) 6-2

Lucky for Andy Roddick the Masters Cup is played on hardcourt.

Roddick started strong in the first set, and out-aced Mirnyi. But the Beast from Belarus managed to make it to a tiebreak, and on this fast surface, his attacking game beat Roddick's baseline strategy. The American went downhill fast in the second set; even his serve started to stutter as the match went along.

Which suddenly makes the Race much, much more interesting. Roddick is still #2, but he's vulnerable. His lead over Lleyton Hewitt is a mere 33 Race points. That means that Hewitt needs only to reach the final to pass him.

And though Hewitt is in the tougher half of the draw (it started out looking easier, but now Hewitt has to face Marat Safin), even if the Australian doesn't reach the final, if he can win even one more match, then he'll go into Houston effectively tied with Roddick: Whoever lasts longer at the Masters Cup will be #2. Indeed, even if Hewitt loses the quarterfinal, he would still need to pick up only 40 points on Roddick to make #2 -- which he could do with a better result in the Round Robin, or by making the final with Roddick losing in the semifinal or before. There are lots and lots of possibilities; suffice it to say that, given the gap in points and the fact that Hewitt is still active here, we'd put the odds between them at just about even for earning the year-end #2 spot. Which in turn could translate into the #2 Australian Open seed. And while Hewitt has never done much in Melbourne, he has assuredly proved his Rebound Ace chops (titles at Adelaide 1998, 2000; Sydney 2000, 2001, 2004)

tangerine_dream
11-06-2004, 02:19 AM
Well, I'm now hoping for a Hippo-Beastie final. The dynamic between those two would be fascinating. And ESPN would actually show an hour's worth of their final so that would be cool to see.

Being bored and perusing the Paris Masters website, I decided to post some of the cool photos I came across:

Now this is how Andy's abs should look :angel:
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Mercredi-3-NOV/album1-2004/images/04.jpg

Thought this was a cool-looking shot of Hippo during a good impression of Marlon Brando ;)
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Mercredi-3-NOV/album2-2004/images/09.jpg

LOL. I'm sorry, I just love this shot of Andy. The look in his eyes is great. He really does look an attack dog to me here. Ruff! :devil:
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Mercredi-3-NOV/album3-2004/images/01.JPG

This belongs in the "Unattractive Pics" thread in GM. Yuck. :o
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Jeudi-4-NOV/album1-2004/images/03.jpg

There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead... :D
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Jeudi-4-NOV/album1-2004/images/04.jpg

Love this over the shoulder shot of Lleyton :drool:
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Jeudi-4-NOV/album2-2004/images/03.jpg

LOL. Tweet Tweet's gonna fly off like a fledgling.
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Jeudi-4-NOV/album3-2004/images/02.jpg

This looks like yoga tennis. ;)
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Jeudi-4-NOV/album3-2004/images/03.jpg

oooh, ballet! :eek:
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Mardi-2-NOV/album1-2004/images/01.JPG

Oh. Yum. Ee. :lick:
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2004/Album/Vendredi-5-NOV/album1-2004/images/03.jpg

superpinkone37
11-06-2004, 08:35 AM
awsome pics tangy :yeah:

well. when andy lost yesterday, i guess i wasnt as surprised as i normally would be, but then i started hearing about andy giving up, his bad behavior, all that crap, and that was what made me mad. but thanks for the recap of the match, fumus :) :hug:that makes me feel a little better that at least he is trying out new stuff and not standing a billion feet behind the baseline on the ROS. i dont think that particular match was the best time to try new stuff, but i guess knowing that is better than nothing :) andy is supposed to be a fighter though....im dissapointed that he just gave up :(

andyroxmysox12191
11-06-2004, 04:53 PM
:sobbing: i love your comments on the pics.
they are great ones by the way :yeah: thanks for showing em :kiss: