Un bref séjour en France - Andy at Roland Garros Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Un bref séjour en France - Andy at Roland Garros Thread

Fumus
05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Didn't see a clay season thread and I'm pretty sure Andy is going to be playing in Madrid next week (at least, according to his website, he is).

Hopefully he can grab some points in Madrid and Rome and RG...so his seeding will be a bit higher for Wimbledon. I think that's all us fans can really hope for, right? (oh yea...fitness and health).

I would like to remind you guys that Tim Henman made the semis at RG after never making it past the 2nd and 3rd rounds there! If Tiger Tim can do it then maybe there is hope...right?

arodfanpe666o
05-02-2012, 08:42 PM
According to his site, he won't play Rome. Which is sad, because I bought tickets...

When Henman made semis at RG, he was top 10 - different draw. Andy has to play the big guns in 3rd round. Every win is bonus right now, anything above 2nd round - great. At least on clay.

Fumus
05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
According to his site, he won't play Rome. Which is sad, because I bought tickets...

When Henman made semis at RG, he was top 10 - different draw. Andy has to play the big guns in 3rd round. Every win is bonus right now, anything above 2nd round - great. At least on clay.

So he'll play Madrid but not Rome? What's he going to do, go back to Austin? What a waste.

RoddickFan88
05-03-2012, 05:02 PM
There are rumors that Andy will not play in Madrid...

Fumus
05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Sources?

I'm going to change this thread name to "Skipping the Clay Season"

RoddickFan88
05-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Sources?

One tweet in Spanish.

https://twitter.com/#!/PedroRFET/status/198080713210347521

Fumus
05-03-2012, 05:53 PM
One tweet in Spanish.

https://twitter.com/#!/PedroRFET/status/198080713210347521

What does it say?

RoddickFan88
05-03-2012, 05:59 PM
What does it say?

"Andy Roddick is far from feeling good on clay and will not play"

Edit:

Right hamstring injury...He's not playing Rome as well.

arodfanpe666o
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Again!? Things became really desperate and sad. Andy can't stay healthy even for a couple of months, regardless of playing a tournament or not.

tangerine_dream
05-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Look at that, he hasn't step foot on clay yet and he's already injured himself. :banghead:

Deboogle!.
05-04-2012, 01:01 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Fumus
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't believe it. If he's not healthy enough to play right now then there's no way he'll be fit enough to play Wimbledon.

WOW.

Fumus
05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Although Andy will likely not be appearing anytime soon on the tennis court...he did make an appearance on a free tote bag that I got after I purchased the new propulse 3s.
:cool:

Fumus
05-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Andy responded to Ivan's tweet this weekend. No word though on his health, though or when he'll be back or if he'll be back for the French.

http://twitter.com/#!/andyroddick

RoddickFan88
05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Welcome Germany!

Fumus
05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Welcome Germany!

Is he playing that? I heard Harrison was in because some American dropped out...rumor has it, it was Andy.

EDIT - Check that...he said on twitter he landed in Frankfurt.

NICE. The Claycation has ended.

OnyxRose
05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I was wondering if he was going to go straight to Paris. Good luck and let's not get injured Andy! Grass is coming soon!

Fumus
05-18-2012, 04:22 PM
This was posted in the Harrison forum....looks like Andy is enjoying being over there training on the clay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beyXx2LW_TU

HEiKE
05-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Ryan Harrison is playing the World Team Cup cos Mardy Fish pulled out. And Ryan posted on Facebook the other day that he is in Duesseldorf and was practising with Andy. It's Andy, Ryan and James Blake on the team for Duesseldorf.

I am off there either tomorrow or Monday, yay!

arodfanpe666o
05-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Andy just played one of the most terrible matches in his career

Deboogle!.
05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
:haha: at least it was in an event that doesn't count?

Fumus
05-22-2012, 02:05 PM
WOW - I didn't catch the last match but today was awful. It looked like he wasn't trying but then he was all pissed off and dropping F-bombs. Also, Andy is not in shape at all. Not looking good for Wimbledon.

Deboogle!.
05-23-2012, 03:56 AM
:o

Fumus
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Well, those two awful losses are the only warm-up Andy will have for RG. If he can't get himself into shape, I wonder why he's even bothering?

Just stay out an train until you can be healty....right? There's the entire summer.

Deboogle!.
05-24-2012, 12:44 AM
At least he played doubles today for another match. And he'll play Go Soeda of Japan tomorrow, according to the schedule

seljanin
05-24-2012, 03:04 PM
I watched Andy vs Berdych and Soeda vs Berlocq. I have to say that according to, what I saw, I don't expect Andy to beat even Soeda here :o

It just puzzles me, how can he go in a span of 2 months from beating Roger, which really was a heroic effort, to this. Ok, clay is by far his worst surface, but anyway. It doesn't strike me that things might change, when he gets on grass and hard.

OnyxRose
05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't understand what he's doing on a court to be honest. He's out of shape so he's not going to do anything worthwhile. I mean, forgetting clay, does he honestly think things will get better for him during grass and the U.S. Open series? I'm not understanding this. I didn't think he would ever fall off this badly at the end.

RoddickFan88
05-24-2012, 07:23 PM
After Miami loss to Monaco he said that he has to work with his fitness...

After 3 matches I've watched there I must say He DIDN'T do anything in almost 2 months...:rolleyes: He's still overweight

Fumus
05-24-2012, 08:31 PM
After Miami loss to Monaco he said that he has to work with his fitness...

After 3 matches I've watched there I must say He DIDN'T do anything in almost 2 months...:rolleyes: He's still overweight

Agree.

arodfanpe666o
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I'll try to be optimistic. He can't work fitness if he is injured, and that was the case. If he would have not pulled his hamstring, he would have played Rome and Madrid. Things would have been different. Against Soeda, he was better than against Berlocq and Berdych. Not good by any means, but better. Maybe he will be better in Paris. At this point, I don't think we can blame Andy about something. His body just can't take it anymore.

To see what he is capable of, Andy should have at least 3 months stretch, when he is not injured. In the last 2 year, he had, like, 9 different injuries or something.

OnyxRose
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
He shouldn't have even played this. Go RG if you must, then lose 1R (because he'll lose anyway), then head to the UK.

RoddickFan88
05-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Andy's RG draw:

R1 - Mahut
R2 - Dancevic/Klizan
R3 - Federer

First two round are not too bad in theory, but in practice every opponent is tough.

Just let's see what happen in Paris.

Deboogle!.
05-26-2012, 04:07 PM
He's playing a Frenchman on Lenglen, so, no chance :lol:

tangerine_dream
05-26-2012, 08:27 PM
You know what's sad? Even if Mahut is awful on clay, if Andy were to beat him that would be a monumental win. :lol: I mean, we'd all be like this http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/Fooxer/excitedsmiley.gif if it happened.

I'd love to see him do it. He needs to get a win, any win, under his belt.

arodfanpe666o
05-27-2012, 03:36 PM
I never thought Andy would be so pathetic at the end of his career. Always thought that he is more proud and won't let something like this happen. I really hope for this to end soon, one way or another...

OnyxRose
05-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I didn't think it would end in this pitiful way either. I hope he can salvage something at the end of the US Open series and then bow out gracefully.

tangerine_dream
05-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Good news, with RG out of the way, Andy's grass season officially begins. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/icebear713/smilies/smiley_emoticons_hurra2.gif

Deboogle!.
05-27-2012, 04:58 PM
You can't really even be optimistic about grass, can you? If he's out of shape as everyone's saying, I don't see much changing in a couple weeks :shrug:

OnyxRose
05-27-2012, 05:55 PM
There is no optimism whatsoever for grass. No match play, he's not in shape, motivational issues, might be injured again (saw him clutch his thigh for a sec)...there is like, no hope of him doing anything worthwhile. At least he lost to Mahut, who I actually like.

tangerine_dream
05-27-2012, 07:43 PM
You can't really even be optimistic about grass, can you? If he's out of shape as everyone's saying, I don't see much changing in a couple weeks :shrug:

Maybe not but the grass has to feel much better under his feet than clay.

Fumus
05-27-2012, 08:06 PM
If this is the level effort he's going to put forth towards the grand slams, I think I'm just going to start a petition for him to retire. I mean seriously, no fire or drive...it's time for the commentary both.

Deboogle!.
05-27-2012, 10:33 PM
It's very possible Andy won't even be seeded at Wimbledon.........

Fee
05-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Playing clay before his body was ready may have killed his grass season prospects, whatever they were. At this point, perhaps he should focus on getting completely healthy first, then coming back to end his career on a higher note. I will be surprised if he keeps going after the USO.

seljanin
05-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Uhhh... saw only the end of 3rd and whole 4th set yesterday and was very disappointed.

Alright, I didn't have any expectations for clay season anyway, but this turned out to be even worse than I thought, and I was actually being pessimistic before the clay season.

Movement is gone, he looks slower than ever. Groundstrokes don't have anything behind them, the shots are even more lightweight as we have been used to by watching his pushing in recent years, he cannot get so many balls back and makes every opponent's offense look better than it is. Nicolas wasn't even that good yesterday, I am almost completely sure that he will be destroyed by Martin Klizan in R2. Especially painful for me is the serve topic. It had gone from excellent to good in the recent years, but now it is almost a mediocre one. He gets much fewer cheap points from his serve than ever. In addition to that the desire is clearly not there. Yesterday after losing that break advantage in the 4th set he just let it go... that was very sad to see.

So, where does Andy go from here... is it doing some real preparation for the grass season or just letting his career to go down the drain. If I was the one planning his schedule, I would order him to hit the gym in order to get those pounds off. Then get on grass asap (if he is healthy, of course, as there were signs yesterday that he might not be). Damn, he should take wild card to Nottingham challenger. He needs to eat on grass, to sleep on grass and to live on grass now ffs. If he thinks to himself - alright, this was only clay, now I will get on grass and start winning - it is not going to happen. This isn't about the surface, it is about himself, his shape and his tennis. Either solve this or don't bother.

Sorry for the small rant here :) It's just sad to see his career approaching the end in such fashion. No matter, what happens, will support Andy anyway. And I still have a hope for that one, big run at some tournament. Probably false hopes, but they're still there.

tangerine_dream
05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Nice to see someone in the media standing up for Roddick instead of piling on him. :yeah:

Get Off His Back!
Andy Roddick Held To Unfair Standard

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/andy-roddick-french-open-letdown-due-to-unfair-standards-052812

Updated May 28, 2012

At some point, routines just become ruts. And while watching Andy Roddick in the first round of the French Open Sunday, you might have gotten annoyed at him. Irritated. Frustrated. You were in the rut.

It has been years of feeling that way about Roddick, especially at Roland Garros. But the truth is, it's time to get off Andy Roddick's back.

He's not the present anymore. He's the past. And it's not his fault that no other American player has been good enough to move into the present and take the torch of U.S. tennis from him. Roddick, aging, stands there holding it, judged by it.

He lost 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 to Nicolas Mahut, the guy known for losing the marathon 2010 Wimbledon match to John Isner, 70-68 in the fifth set. Mahut is 30, and a journeyman. Before Sunday, in his long career, he had won just one match in the main draw of the French Open.

So he now has beaten some guy named Mischa Zverev, and also Andy Roddick. Mahut had also won just six matches at the tour level on clay.

Now, it's seven.

"I've move horrendously out here." Roddick said afterward. "My first step is just so bad on this stuff. I feel like I'm always shuffling or hopping or not stopping or something."

Roddick, who has had hamstring injuries all year, said he is comfortable on grass, where the tour will move after the French. The idea is that he can be himself again by Wimbledon. Meanwhile, Mahut said this "was not the No. 1 Roddick, the No. 1 player in the world that we know."

This is denial. Roddick has not been No. 1 in eight years. He hasn't been in the top five in nearly three years. He won just one major, the US Open, in his entire career. And that was nine years ago.

He’ll turn 30 this summer. His body is falling apart, and his ranking has fallen to No. 33. But he has been the face of U.S. men’s tennis for so long that people hold him to the level of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors.

That's OK. It's the burden of the top American. But Roddick never got there. And make what you want of his career — he's been called an underachiever and an overachiever — but that standard no longer applies to him. Roddick is not going to win another major.

He can still play some great matches, and maybe can get to a quarterfinal one more time. But whatever you think of his career, the meat of it was in the past.

The only reason he's still being held to that standard is that no other American man has been good enough to be held to it. Mardy Fish came along and got into the top 10, but that was already the late-point of his career. He is fighting an illness now, and also has peaked. It was a feel-good story when he was doing the things Roddick has spent his career being ripped for.

John Isner? He might be the guy to relieve Roddick. Maybe soon. He’s the best American, and ranked No. 11. But for now, he's seen more as a cult figure for being so tall and for beating Mahut in the longest match in history. It's going to be a while before anyone puts expectations on him. Ryan Harrison is coming up, though a little slowly.

Brian Baker is the great American story in this French Open, back after six years and multiple hip and elbow surgeries. A former top 2 junior in the world, who beat junior Novak Djokovic, Baker disappeared. Suddenly, he has re-emerged. There is no way to be critical of him no matter what.

See, Roddick is old enough that some American should have come along.

That's not to say you shouldn't judge his career. It's up for debate. He spent a decade in the top 10, had a brief run at No. 1 and won a major. He also has had success in Davis Cup, and is going to keep his ranking high enough to get into this summer's London Olympics.

Hall of Fame? Sure.

To me, though, he was an underachiever. He led the game, and then let Roger Federer, then Rafael Nadal, pass him by. That's not the worst of things, letting all-time greats get by you. And some people say Roddick just didn't have the talent to keep up. The truth is, he was too stubborn for too long to make changes. It took him years to bother developing a backhand, or to learn how to come to the net and not to just rely on a booming serve and forehand.

When he finally committed to change, and improved his diet and footwork, too, he nearly beat Federer in the Wimbledon final in 2009. That might have been the most popular Roddick has ever been. It looked like the beginning of something, but Roddick hasn't gotten past a major quarterfinal since.

As he has gotten older, even his forehand has turned to mush.

But that's an argument about his career. He can't be The Guy anymore, though it's not easy breaking free from the rut of seeing him as the American tennis star. It has been so long.

If you want, just hold out hope that he has one more run left in him. But the frustrations about him now shouldn't be nearly as bad as the frustrations from his past.

Don't blame him just because no other American is good enough to be frustrated about.

Fumus
05-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I just read that article, it's great but it's about 3 years too late.