It's a 4-peat for the men of Troy!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It's a 4-peat for the men of Troy!!

out_here_grindin
05-01-2012, 06:10 AM
The bracket is revealed tomorrow. It will be on ESPNU at 4:30 et. This year it looks like the cutoff will be around #45.

This is what things look like

My best guess for 1st/2nd round hosts:
USC
UCLA
Pepperdine
Stanford
Georgia
Kentucky
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Florida
Auburn
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Virginia
Duke
North Carolina
Illinois

Cal & Tennessee passed over.

(Bold teams are currently in Top 16)
West Coast Teams: 12 teams/4 hosts/0 travel
USC
UCLA
Pepperdine
Cal
Stanford
San Diego
Washington
Santa Clara
Fresno State
Boise State
Cal Poly
Sacramento State

Southeast Teams: 18 teams/6 hosts/0 travel
Georgia
Kentucky
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
LSU
Florida State
Memphis
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
East Tennessee State
South Carolina State
Middle Tennessee State
Eastern Kentucky
College of Charleston
Alcorn State

Mid-West Teams: 11 teams/2 hosts/3 teams travel
Ohio State
Illinois
Michigan
Indiana
Notre Dame
Minnesota
Louisville
Northwestern
Western Michigan
UW-Green Bay
Drake

Southwest Teams: 8 teams/1 host/4 teams travel
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Baylor
Texas Tech
Tulsa
Univ Texas-San Antonio
Univ Missouri-Kansas City

Atlantic Coast Teams: 15 teams/3 hosts/3 teams travel
UVA
Duke University
North Carolina
Harvard
VCU
NC State
Columbia
Virginia Tech
UNC Wilmington
Binghamton
George Washington
Fairfield
Fairleigh Dickinson
Navy
Radford

out_here_grindin
05-01-2012, 06:14 AM
There a few things we can count on each year.

The NCAA will screw things up somehow with some boring matchups.
At least two teams will get royally screwed.

out_here_grindin
05-02-2012, 02:19 AM
I never thought I would say this but excellent bracket. It puts more importance on ranking rather than geography which is good. Too many teams in the past have been screwed because of where they are located in the nation. Auburn goes to Illinois rather than Georgia or Mississippi State.

Lots of good matchups and none of the tired conference matchups like we have seen in years past. Some fresh unpredictable ones coming up.

out_here_grindin
05-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Draw: in PDF format (http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/tennis-men_d1_2011.pdf)

*USC (1)
Fairfield
Texas A&M
South Carolina
Auburn
Drake
Western Michigan
*Illinois (16)

*Mississippi State (9)
Alcorn State
Baylor
Memphis
LSU
Northwestern
Georgia Washington
*Duke (8

*Ohio State (5)
East Tennessee State
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Virginia Tech
Navy
*Florida (12)

*Ole Miss (13)
Binghamton
Michigan
Middle Tennessee State
San Diego
Fresno State
Eastern Kentucky
*UCLA (4)

*Virginia (3)
Fairleigh Dickinson
VCU
Columbia
Texas Tech
Cal-Poly
UTSA
*Cal (14)

*Stanford (11)
Sacramento State
Texas
Santa Clara
Indiana
Louisville
Radford
*Kentucky (6)

*Pepperdine (7)
Green Bay
Washington
North Carolina State
Tulsa
Minnesota
UMKC
*Oklahoma (10)

*North Carolina (15)
College of Charleston
Tennessee
UNC Wilmington
Florida State
Boise State
South Carolina State
*Georgia (2)

out_here_grindin
05-04-2012, 02:54 AM
any thoughts? I will post my analysis in a few days.

BrunoBeidacki
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM
I have no idea who I'm going to cheer for. I'm sad Maryland didn't make it.

In individuals, let's go Cunha in singles and Maryland doubles, Collins/Horny

SapELee
05-04-2012, 10:47 PM
I guess I just cheer for the local teams: Duke, UNC, NC State, and UNC Wilmington

out_here_grindin
05-06-2012, 07:09 PM
How can you pull for all Tobacco road teams? they are bitter rivals in most sports haha.

I will be pulling for UCLA to win the whole thing out of the contendors. I have always been a fan of Giron and Meister. I also like Puget and Mkrchtian.

I also like Ole Miss,Oklahoma,Kentucky,Pepperdine.

out_here_grindin
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
as far as the Tobacco road teams chances; UNC will have to get by Tennessee a team that had a surprisingly good year after losing Smith,Sandgren and Williams. Libietis the freshman from Latvia came on strong as the year rolled on. And even if they beat Tennessee they will be an appetizer for UGA in Athens in the round of 16.

Duke has a tough draw. Not only do they have a dangerous LSU team in the 2nd round but they have the dreaded 8/9 slot. They will have to face a very fit and workmanlike team in Mississippi State and of they can beat the Bulldogs its Southern Cal waiting.

darklucia
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, I really don't see Washington going past Pepperdine if they get past NC State. I hope Pepperdine does well after what happened last year.

SapELee
05-08-2012, 01:08 AM
How can you pull for all Tobacco road teams? they are bitter rivals in most sports haha.

I will be pulling for UCLA to win the whole thing out of the contendors. I have always been a fan of Giron and Meister. I also like Puget and Mkrchtian.

I also like Ole Miss,Oklahoma,Kentucky,Pepperdine.

Because I have no preference really since my alma mater is not an option. I'm surrounded by many Duke, UNC, and NC State fans and sometimes wish that I could disappear during March Madness :lol:. A lot of times I would pull for Duke because they are the most hated in the state :p. Maybe I should pull for NC State since I was admitted there (even though I decided to go elsewhere).

out_here_grindin
05-08-2012, 03:46 AM
The line-ups submissions for the tournament (http://web1.ncaa.org/tennis/exec/lin...n=1&fromLink=Y)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notable changes:

UCLA does in fact put Thompson at 1 and Meister at 2. I wonder if this is specifically for the USC matchup.

Florida switches Carleton and Slilam. Carleton now at 2, Slilam at 3

Ohio State puts Callahan at 6 and moves Connor Smith down to 7

Washington moves Bots to 2 and moves down Egger to 3

darklucia
05-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Bots played #2 and Egger #3 during the Pac-12 championships. I thought it was strange but there weren't any protests that I know of. The UCLA switch is also interesting. Personally I think Meister > Thompson but they are both pretty good.

out_here_grindin
05-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Miss State moves Cant to 5 and Coupland to 5. I do not understand that switch. Shouldn't be playing with the line-up at this time.

Ozone
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty excited about the tourney this year, the field looks really awesome. I mean UVA is 3rd seed, come on. I think it will be interesting to see Illinois, if they do beat Auburn, to challenge USC in the 3rd round after their Big Ten tourney performance.

I like Ohio State to beat UCLA and challenge USC. I don't think they can beat them, but it could get interesting with that great OSU lineup.

On the other side, I think Kentucky, if they beat Stanford, who beat them earlier this year, could knock off Virginia. UK is a great tourney team with a very scary lineup when they are on. But I think UVA will prevail, and I like the UGA crowd to push the Dogs, but I think UVA has better matchups with UGA and we will see another USC-Virginia final.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Virginia winning it. Kinda crazy, huh? The first year that they've lost a few matches and aren't 1 or 2 seed, they are my pick to win.

But as Jeff said, I'd love to see UCLA beat USC. I'll also be pulling for Texas A&M, Kentucky (gotta love Quigley and that lineup), Coll. of Charleston, and my WAKE FOREST DEMON...wait, no. nevermind. I guess I'll be pulling for the Cavs too since they are my pick...ehh.

out_here_grindin
05-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Some potential 1st round upsets:

Vandy over Notre Dame
Minnesota over Tulsa

even those aren't that likely. Looks like the 1st round will be chalk.

out_here_grindin
05-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Things underway

Baylor vs Memphis (http://www.hailstate.com//fls/16800/livestats/mt/2012ncaa/match01.html?DB_OEM_ID=16800)

Tulsa vs Minnesota (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-tennis/livescoring.html)

Indiana va Louisville (http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/stats_051112a.html)

out_here_grindin
05-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Indiana def Louisville 4-2

Tulsa def Minnesota 4-2

darklucia
05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
UW puts itself in a hole again. It'll be a tight win if UW does pull it off.

out_here_grindin
05-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Boise States takes doubles from FSU. (http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/ncaa-tennis-live-stats.html)

That will make that one more interesting

out_here_grindin
05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
links to live scores via TopDawg on another forum (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6525452&postcount=110)

out_here_grindin
05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
FSU and Boise knotted at 3-3. It will come down to The giants on court 4. 6'5 Lock of FSU and 6'7 Sereke of Boise, they split two tiebreak sets. Going to a 3rd

Ozone
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I was a bit surprised to see Harvard beat the Hokies in the first round. I know they beat them earleir this year (4-3) but I figured VT would be more "tourney tough", they always peak at the end of the season, but not the case here

out_here_grindin
05-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I was a bit surprised to see Harvard beat the Hokies in the first round. I know they beat them earleir this year (4-3) but I figured VT would be more "tourney tough", they always peak at the end of the season, but not the case here

yeah me too. I thought VT would win that match.

Santa Clara def Texas 4-1. That's an upset.

BrunoBeidacki
05-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Tulsa def. Oklahoma 4-1

Petty interesting. I thought Minnesota could even beat Tulsa and now they just took out a seed.

Ozone
05-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Two big upsets ^ ^^. Bad loss for John Roddick's squad

out_here_grindin
05-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Baylor def Mississippi State in a very close 4-3 match (http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-tennis/recaps/051212aab.html)

out_here_grindin
05-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Sweet 16 set

1 Southern Cal vs 16 Illinois
8 Duke vs Baylor
5 Ohio State vs 12 Florida
4 UCLA vs 13 Ole Miss
6 Kentucky vs 11 Stanford
3 Virginia vs 14 Cal
7 Pepperdine vs Tulsa
2 Georgia vs 15 North Carolina

9 and 10 seeds went down

abollo
05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Good luck Illinois as Bruno is playing there :p

Are they 4 matches played or 9 matches?

out_here_grindin
05-18-2012, 01:58 AM
there will be 8 matches tomorrow. Things get cooking. It will be intense.

9 am
So Cal vs Illinois
Duke vs Baylor

noon
Ohio State vs Florida
UCLA vs Ole Miss

4 pm
Virgina vs Cal
Kentucky vs Stanford

7 pm
Pepperdine vs Tulsa
Georgia vs North Carolina

out_here_grindin
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Live Score central (http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/ncaa-2012.html)

out_here_grindin
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Stanford blowing the doors off of Kentucky right now. UK cruised in doubles but Stanford has won every first set and Klahn is destroying Quigley. This is a shocker to me. UK needs to get some momentum NOW

out_here_grindin
05-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Kentucky is now making a stong push on courts 2-6. Momentum fully on the side of the Cats. Interesting ending set up.

out_here_grindin
05-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Stanford def Kentucky 4-1. Klahn turned on the gas again and beat Quigley 6-1 6-2.

All other matches today have been predictable and chalk. Not a whole lot of drama. Florida pushed Ohio State for a while but Alford got hurt at 6 and from all accounts could barely walk in the 3rd set, but did not retire. Smith was hitting slightly angled shots for winners.

UCLA and Ole Miss was a decent match which the Bruins took 4-2.

out_here_grindin
05-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Pepperdine and Tulsa looks like it will come down to the wire and be the closest match of the day.

out_here_grindin
05-20-2012, 05:12 AM
I will be in Athens tomorrow! Hopefully I can get some pics and videos. UGA,UVA and USc are all favored to win tomorrow fairly easily. I expect that they will have to play well but at the end of the day they will all advance.

The war of the day will be UCLA vs Ohio State. Literally a 50/50 match. So many interesting and unpredictable matchups.

Doubles. Slight edge Ohio State

1: Clay Thompson vs Clay Buchanana - Edge Ohio State
2: Nick Mesiter vs Blaz Rola - Edge Ohio State
3: Dennis Novikov vs Peter Kobelt - Toss up
4: Marcos Giron vs Ille Van Engelen - Edge UCLA
5: Adrien Puget vs Devin McCarthy - Big edge UCLA, Puget has been unbeatable
6: Denis Mkrtchian vs Connor Smith - Toss up

Ozone
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I was really interested in seeing how STanford-Kentucky would end up. Just good matchups for the Cardinal I guess

darklucia
05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Nice win for Pepperdine. Hopefully they have some fight left in them.

Snowwy
05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Did not expect Pepperdine to win.

out_here_grindin
05-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Pure epicness last night from Pepperdine.

out_here_grindin
05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
t05mpnZB8ek

video I took of the clinching game

out_here_grindin
05-21-2012, 09:37 PM
ipbfcXk5Z-I

uf7CVh5Elfo

Here was a vital moment

out_here_grindin
05-22-2012, 12:55 AM
USC edged the doubles point from UCLA. UCLA leads in singles on courts 3-6 though. There is now a weather delay.

Pepperdine also in all the first sets with UVA except at court 6.

Smoke944
05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
USC-Virginia for the title(again)

out_here_grindin
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
D$(Daniel Nguyen) does it agaian. Massive to close out Novikov in the 3rd set tiebreak. Because Puget was well on his way to cruising past Hanfmann. It Novikov had won that tiebreak, then it would have all come down to Mkrtchian vs Quiroz and Mkrtchian has had Quiroz's number this season.

Pepperdine put up a good fight vs Virginia. Virginia won the 2 key 1st set tiebreaks on courts 3 and 4. Big win for Fanselow over Jenkins though.

out_here_grindin
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
The big title match today will be on some streaming on the internet. It's an official production apparently. I'll post the link when I get it.

out_here_grindin
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Rematch of last year's title where Daniel Nguyen beat Sanam Singh to clinch it for the Trojans. The Trojans will be going for 4 straight titles today, while Virginia is seeking their first ever national title.

It will start at 5 and will be broadcast on NCAA.com(ESPNU has elected to show Valparaiso softball or Brown lacrosse or something instead)

breakdown:

doubles: UVA has been stellar in double lately. This point will be key. So Cal has not lost a doubles point in a big match in forever. But they had not been as dominant recently. I will actually pick UVA to take doubles.

Singles: (USC players listed first)

1: Steve Johnson vs Jarmere Jenkins
Jenkins will be Johnson's biggest test of the year. He has the game to do it. But just ask yourself. Will Steve Johnson really lose his final collegiate match? He has not lost since his sophomore season(he is a senior). He is looking to make it 4 national titles in 4 seasons and become of the the great collegiate athletes of the last decade. Johnson wins 7-6 6-4

2: Ray Sarmiento vs Alex Domijan
Sarmiento slaughtered Nick Meister(UCLA) yesterday 6-1 6-1 in a very impressive display. Domijan has been hitting his stride and is starting to decimate people now. I cannot see Sarmiento winning. Domijan wins 6-3 6-4

3: Daniel Nguyen vs Mitchell Frank
Call him D$ or D-Win. Nguyen has clinched the last two national titles for the Trojans and like Johnson will be going for 4 titles in 4 years. Mitchell Frank the Freshman sensation who has lost just a single match this whole season. Nguyen has the experience and the determination. But Frank is a world class player. In the end what will win out? I pick, Frank wins 6-2 5-7 6-3

4: Emilio Gomez vs Drew Courtney
A hard one to determine. Courtney will want to end his career with the elusive title. I think he will get past Gomez by clubbing his serve to victory. Courtney 6-3 7-6

5: Yannick Hanfmann vs Justin Shane
A few weeks ago I would have put anything of Hanfmann in this match. But how things change. Now it seems it is Hanfmann who is fading and Shane who is not. The in form player wins this one. Shane 7-5 6-4

6: Roberto Quiroz vs Julen Uriguen
Quiroz has turned it on late in the year and is now a solid #6 for the Trojans. Uriguen has been injured and has not played a lot lately. Quiroz wins 6-2 6-3

So as you see I am picking UVA to win 5-2. They stop after 4 so one of the matches I have going UVA's way will not finish.

The Cavs will take home a national title today.

Smoke944
05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Good analysis, having said that I think it will go the other way :p

out_here_grindin
05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Live coverage link (http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule)

make sure to click on the mens finals coverage for commentary and HD.

darklucia
05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Too bad I won't be able to watch the finals. Think it will go either way and the winner will take the doubles point.

Ozone
05-22-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with your analysis on the title match Jeff. If USC wants to come back from this deficit, I look at courts 4 and 5 as the difference-makers. It looks as if those 2 will slightly favor the Cavs, but I see UVA winning at 2 and 3 so the Trojans will have to grind these 2 courts out if they want to win. I guess Nguyen could be the difference-maker for the Trojans, again. Why not? I just think these matchups favor the Cavs.

I wish Novikov could have pulled it out for the Bruins, but I really think the four-peat is just a dream and the Cavs finally take home that elusive title that they've been so close to getting.

My prediction: Virginia clinches 4-1 as Frank ends Nguyen's career and reverses roles on him. Johnson wins at 1, but UVA takes 2, 3, and 4. 5 and 6 are stopped in the 3rd

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 12:48 AM
major rain delay now. Matches starting again at 8

Smoke944
05-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Going indoors which likely means no way to watch. Sucks.

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 01:57 AM
This is a shambles. Where did the camera crew go? Why can they not move indoors? Did the rain destroy their equipment? Did the announcers just split?

Feels like a regular season match.

Sucks when you realize that a sport you care about so much, nobody really gives a shit about.

SapELee
05-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Go Virginia :cheerleader:

SapELee
05-23-2012, 02:05 AM
So no stream afterall

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Because the incompetent idiots running the show cannot move the cameras indoor for some reason. Have to follow it like a regular season match, Not even point by point scoring.

Ozone
05-23-2012, 02:59 AM
I am going to write ESPNU about why the hell they won't air the final. I encourage the rest of you guys to do the same so we can make more noise. Pretty crazy we see 2nd rounds of lacrosse and mid-major reg. season baseball and they can't even broadcast the championship match, just one match. Then we get PBA Bowling and Billiards on ESPN2 but anyways, it's ridiculous to not air the title match.

In regards to the match, I'm surprised at Gomez's assault on Courtney at 4. Things looking up for the Trojans now, although it looks like Shane is going to finish of D-Win at 3

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 03:00 AM
shitty live scores (http://usc.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=995&fid=521&style=1)

Johnson about to close out Jenkins.
Frank about to close out Nguyen

Sarmiento took a massive first set vs Domijan.

Snowwy
05-23-2012, 03:21 AM
What are all the scores?

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 03:41 AM
scores:

Johnson def Jenkins 6-3 6-2
Frank def Nguyen 6-3 6-1
Gomez def Courtney 6-4 6-2

Sarmiento leads Domijan 6-4 6-5

Hanfmann leads Shane 3-2
Uriguen leads Qurioz 3-1

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Sarmiento just finished of Domjian 6-4 7-5. He failed to close it out at 5-3 but then as soon as Domijan broke to even it, Ray broke back.

3-2 USC.

UVA needs both Shane and Uriguen to win

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Hanfmann takes first set from Shane 6-4.

darklucia
05-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Maybe that rain break helped out USC. Also I wonder if indoors helps Hanfmann since he does like to hit it big, at least from the one time I saw him play.

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 04:50 AM
Shane wins 2nd set 6-2. 3rd set will decide it

Uriguen leads 6-2 5-6

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Quiroz takes 2nd set 7-6(3). We are going 3 on court 6 as well.

Shane and Hanfmann at 2-2 in 3rd

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Michael Shabaz apparently was in the crowd and got ejected for heckling.

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Shane breaks Hanfmann to go up 5-4!! He will serve for it!

Uriguen leads 3-0

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Hanfmann breaks back to make it 5-5!! Clutch

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Tiebreak time for Hanfmann and Shane. Shane must win to keep UVA alive. This is so epic.

Uriguen is up 4-2 but twitter is buzzing that he is "cramping severely"

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Hanfmann up in breaker 5-3

darklucia
05-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Congrats USC. In the end their freshman stud got the jbo done.

Smoke944
05-23-2012, 05:56 AM
USC :worship:

out_here_grindin
05-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Steve Johnson and Daniel Nguyen win 4 national titles in 4 years. Legends

Yannick Hanfmann clinches the indoor title earlier this year and the title now.

Smoke944
05-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Let's see how singles and doubles go now. SJ shouldn't be tired; all his matches were routine and he didn't expend too much energy.
Btw, it has to be said that Quiroz is an insanely talented doubles player. I guess it's not surprising considering he won two junior slams, but wow. There are not many guys on the pro tour that hit topspin lobs better than he does. He hit a BH one that was absolutely disgusting.

Ozone
05-23-2012, 10:44 PM
USC just wanted it more it looks like. Would have been interesting to see how Uriguen finished