Clay Court Season 2012 - Roland Garros [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Clay Court Season 2012 - Roland Garros

ImmzB
04-28-2012, 06:09 PM
16/04/2012 - Week 16: Monte Carlo- Masters 1000 (Clay) Withdrew
23/04/2012 - Week 17:
30/04/2012 - Week 18: Estoril- ATP 250 (Clay)
07/05/2012 - Week 19: Madrid- Masters 1000 (Clay)
14/05/2012 - Week 20: Rome- Masters 1000 (Clay)
21/05/2012 - Week 21: Nice- ATP 250 (Clay)
28/05/2012 - Week 22: French Open- Grand Slam (Clay)
04/06/2012 - Week 23: French Open- Grand Slam (Clay)

ImmzB
04-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Estoril

[1] J.M.Del Potro vs. BYE
[WC] Pedro Sousa vs. R.Machado
[SE] A.Balazs vs. B.Reynolds
M.Ebden vs. [7] A.Montanes

[3] S.Wawrinka vs. BYE
Qualifier vs. D.Gimeno-Traver
I.Andreev vs. Qualifier
S.Bolleli vs. [6] R.Haase

[5] D.Istomin vs. P.H.Mathieu
[WC] João Sousa vs. [WC] G.Elias
B.Phau vs. F.Gil
BYE vs. [4] A.Ramos

[8] F.Cippola vs. D.Junqueira
Qualifier vs. Qualifier
P.Lorenzi vs. É.Roger-Vasselin
BYE vs. [2] R.Gasquet

Richard has a BYE into R2 where he will either face Lorenzi or Roger-Vasselin.

ImmzB
04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Richard is also playing the doubles, where he partners Roger-Vasselin and they play Bednarek & Ebden in the 1st round.

Doubles Draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/468/mdd.pdf

ImmzB
05-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Gasquet def. Lorenzi - 6/1 6/1

Allez Gasquet! :)

Comfortable match for Richard, his first singles match since injury and he played well! :yeah:

ImmzB
05-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Gasquet & Roger-Vasselin beat Bednarek & Ebden 6/4 4/6 11-9 in the 1st round! :)

Puschkin
05-02-2012, 07:11 PM
The stream was horrible, but that was a good win from Richard against Lorenzi after the long break. 6-1 6-1, 24 winners (more on the FH than on the BH side) and 20 UEs.

ImmzB
05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Gasquet def. De La Nava - 7/6 (7/1) 6/2

I only watched the 1st set, it wasn't the best performance from Richard, was too passive for most of the set. Nava did break Richard for a 4/3 lead but he got broken back in the next game.

1st SF of the season for Richard and he faces Albert Ramos. This will be the 3rd tournament in a row where Richard has played Ramos with the last 2 being in Indian Wells & Miami.

Allez! :)

Puschkin
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Could not watch the singles, but had a glance at the doubles, not great, neither from Richard nor from ERV, lost 3-6 1-6.

Schu
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Only saw part of the first set of singles - I was not impressed. My stream was poor quality and much of the time I could not even see the ball but I could see Richard standing very deep and basically very passive, just waitng for mistakes from his opponent. Also caught bits of the doubles and he looked pretty poor, at least ERV was more active at net and tried to play some real doubles, Richard looked a bit lost out there.

He's won 2 matches but those were basically challenger level opponents, time the step it up, Richie. He's been boring me with his play lately, I miss the French flair - hope it shows up very soon!

ImmzB
05-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Gasquet def. A.Ramos - 2/6 7/6 (7/1) 7/5

Allllez!! :woohoo: :rocker2:

1st set was not good from Richard whereas Ramos was the better play, trying to control the match with his FH. When Ramos broke in the 2nd set but Richard broke back immediately and then from there he was more the solid player! Richard ran away with the 2nd set TB and in the 3rd, he served well and got the break but to give it right back. Richard saved 2 break points in the final game!! :)

Great to be in the Final! :bigclap:

Puschkin
05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Gasquet def. A.Ramos - 2/6 7/6 (7/1) 7/5

Allllez!! :woohoo: :rocker2:

1st set was not good from Richard whereas Ramos was the better play, trying to control the match with his FH. When Ramos broke in the 2nd set but Richard broke back immediatelyRamos broke Richard in the 3rd game and Richard broke back in the 6th game. ;)

It was a battle, and Richard won it on mental strength and by fighting. His tennis was not great, and I felt he was still a bit cautious with his ankle throughout the match. It would be great if Wawrinka could keep del Potro busy a little bit longr.

Quetzal
05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
It is really great to see him in the final again, but...
Why is he so passive from the beginning?
He played very bad in the first set, than was broken in the second set.
It was the moment when he decided to play with more aggresion and that is why
he won in the end. I guess Piatti knows that too, so why nothing is changing?
We saw that many times in the past. When he lost two first sets in Wimbledon 2007 against
Roddick, he decided that he has nothing too lose and next three sets was the best in his carear.
Against Djokovic few days ago he played really good in the first set, but only until he had
his chances for the break and he did nothing to win that, he was waiting for Djokovic`s mistake.
I`m really happy that he won, that he was fighting, but against Del Potro he has to be very active
from the beginning and play deep balls. That`s the only way.
Good luck.

Schu
05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
It is really great to see him in the final again, but...
Why is he so passive from the beginning?

I`m really happy that he won, that he was fighting, but against Del Potro he has to be very active
from the beginning and play deep balls. That`s the only way.
Good luck.

We've been asking this question for years! You think he would eventually get the message. It seems that he has to "work his way into a match" and get a feel for his opponent's ball but unfortunately that often means it is too late when he finally gets going or he has to play a lot longer than he should. It was great to see him hang in after that horrid start and he looked to be a lot stronger in the end than Ramos in the end which was a great sign since he had to run a lot and deal with a lot of balls over his shoulder.

Now speaking of starting slow - nothing like loosing your serve at LOVE to open the match :facepalm: against DelPO. Looks like he is getting in the groove but down a break to start is an huge hole against DelPO. Allez Richie!!

ImmzB
05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Del Potro def. Gasquet - 6/4 6/2

Del Potro dominated the match whereas Gasquet was too passive but as the 1st set went by Gasquet started to play better, hit some great shots. In the 2nd he was broken at the start, just like the 1st set. After that, Del Potro did what he had and served out the match.

Richard didn't look tired to me, he chased Del Potro's balls down but Del Potro kept finishing it with his winners.

Hopefully a quick rest for Richard and then he plays again on Tuesday against Bellucci who is R1 opponent in Madrid. Bellucci a similar player like Ramos.

ImmzB
05-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Anyway, it's been a good week for Richard considering this is his 1st tournament since injury.

He fought very hard yesterday from a set and a break down to get the win which was great!

Also, being back in a ATP final! Even though he didn't win the title.... Hopefully he impresses in Madrid!!

ImmzB
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Richard is also playing the doubles in Madrid where he partners Monfils and they take on Wild-Cards, Bubka & Marti in the 1st round.

Doubles Draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/1536/mdd.pdf

Puschkin
05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
What happened in the match against Bellucci? I have only seen the first set and the start of the second, which were not great, seems I have seen the wrong part.:lol:

scmom
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I only saw the Third set tiebreaker - so I have no idea what happened up until there
but seemed to me that Richard was the more consistent of the two in the end . Bellucci lost focus , was impatient and Richard did just enough to win in the end.
Not the best tiebreak I have ever seen - but , it was a win

Stronga23
05-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Gael and Richard both winning tight matches today. Hope we can see Gael and Richie take on Rafa and Rog.

Gagsquet
05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
We believe it (:lol:)

ImmzB
05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Gasquet def. Troicki - 7/5 6/3

Good win for Richard! :yeah: Winning 83% on both 1st serves and 2nd serves. No BP faced on his serve.

No stream therefore we don't really know how both players played but it's great to be in the 3rd round. Federer or Raonic next! :armed:

Allez!

ImmzB
05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Richard playing doubles with Gael, later on.

ImmzB
05-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Gasquet & Monfils def. Bubka & Marti - 7/6 (8/6) 6/2

Schu
05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
seemed to me that Richard was the more consistent of the two in the end .

Well Richard certainly was a mess the first set against Bellucci. Only saw the first set and was delighted to learn that he must have turned things around after a REALLY poor, pushy, passive, error filled first set.

Another win today in straight over Troicki and he did it with something like 83% 1st serve points won and 0 break points against him :eek:!!!

Well it's Fed or Raonic. I would almost rather Federer who hasn't played a match yet on clay and usually takes a few matches to get in the groove. And Richie knows how to beat Fed ;) Good luck Richie!!

Puschkin
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Another win today in straight over Troicki and he did it with something like 83% 1st serve points won and 0 break points against him :eek:!!!

83% points won on 2nd serve, which he did too, is even more remarkable.

Well it's Fed or Raonic. I would almost rather Federer who hasn't played a match yet on clay

I am sure Richard prefers playing Roger instead of Raonic, even if Madrid is not real clay.

Gagsquet
05-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Can't wait for the classic.

Schu
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I would almost rather Federer ...usually takes a few matches to get in the groove. And Richie knows how to beat Fed ;) Good luck Richie!!

Did I really say this - so much for my theory! Roger is blasting winners right and left only 4 games into the first set and Roger has 11 winners already. Gonna be a long day for RIchie, well actually a short one unless he changes something.

Well I got to get back to work. It's 2-5, at least make Roger work a little Richie...

ImmzB
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Federer def. Gasquet - 6/3 6/2

Comfortable victory for Federer, Richard didn't trouble him.

Federer hit several amount of winners past Richard. Richard did have 2 BP in the match but couldn't convert. Richard was 0-15 up on Roger's serve, quite a few times but couldn't do anything from there.
To me it looked like, Richard looked a bit tired from the middle of the 2nd set but this takes nothing away form Roger's performance.

He has a few days off now and hopefully he continues his good form into Rome. :)

Allez!

Puschkin
05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
He has a few days off now and hopefully he continues his good form into Rome. :)

My thoughts exactly, he had no chance today, and he must have felt it right away. He has played a lot of tennis in the last ten days and he was not up to it today. I am not surprised, even me - the eternal optimist - did not see him winning today against this Roger on these court conditions.

ImmzB
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
He's playing his 2nd round match in the doubles currently with Monfils.

Puschkin
05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
He's playing his 2nd round match in the doubles currently with Monfils.
And they lost, which is good. No use of hanging around another day in Madrid, which is such a dreadful tournament. I just had a look at Simon-Tipsarevic, at 11.00 pm they started the 3rd set, no one watching, this is just horrible, indoor conditions. It is spring in Europe, one should play tennis in the sun during they day.

By the way, Richie is quite harsh with the courts:

Eliminé en huitièmes de finale du Masters 1000 de Madrid face à Roger Federer (6-3, 6-2), Richard Gasquet a fustigé la terre battue bleue du tournoi madrilène. « Mets-toi sur une patinoire et joues au tennis, c’est la même chose, ironise le Français. Ils auront l’air con mais il faut revenir sur de la terre rouge. Ce n’est pas possible de rester sur un truc pareil. Ce n’est pas du tennis. C’était Candeloro contre Joubert ».

"Get yourself into an ice-stadium and play tennis. This is the same. One will look funny, but one has to return to red clay, it is not possible to stay on such a thing. This is not tennis. This was Candeloro against Joubert (two French figure skaters)".

scmom
05-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Did not have the chance to watch the match live, so I taped it - Did not know the results when I watched . So , it was like it was live to me
Anyway , first off - Federer just played better . No way to deny it . Richard's service percentage was poor ,and he did not look comfortable with his movement out there .
Hard to say that I blame him. The surface has had so many complaints. Frankly , I am just glad he , the other French guys and Rafa ( my favorites ) are out of there with no serious injury issues
On to Rome !

love the quote about the ice rink
seems he agrees with the others - most notably Rafa in their complaints about the court conditions. Rafa is even threatening to not return ( And Djokovic has said he would follow Rafa's lead ) unless they fix the quality of the courts in Madrid . Hope they have some effect .

ImmzB
05-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Richard's points from Rome last year, will drop at the end of the week so this means he will fall to #22 in the rankings.

ImmzB
05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Gasquet def. Melzer - 6/1 7/6 (8/6)

Good win for Gasquet! :) :yeah:

Came back from a break down in the 2nd set where he was *2/5 down and also saved 2 set points!!

Lorenzi next, Gasquet beat him in Estoril 2 weeks ago.

Puschkin
05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
impossible to comment without pics, but having it done it 2 sets is always good. Allez, Richard. :D

Gagsquet
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't comment yes. Good win anyway. Next victim Lorenzi.

ImmzB
05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Gasquet def. Lorenzi - 6/3 6/2

Good performance from Richard, controlled the match! Lorenzi had nothing to trouble Richard.

Murray next!

scmom
05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Richard in a long match here with Murray . At present up a break in the second . Got a question for you . Who is the blonde woman in the seats with Piatti and the physio? Hassle has been there both yesterday and today. Has Richard found a lady friend? Or is she Piatti's wife.? It is definitely not Richards mom. Just curious. Oh . Now up a double break - playing well this set.

Vlad1980
05-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Great win today. Especially after tough first set where he was down and break, came back and then did not show up in tiebreaker. After that it was all Gasquet.

His tennis this clay court season so far is not as good as last year, but he is fighting a lot and coming back from behind in a lot of his matches. Ferrer next, always tough but on clay, Richard will have more of a chance.

silverwhite
05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
His best win in quite a while :lol:

Hopefully, he wins more than 6 games tomorrow though :tape:

Schu
05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
:bounce::bounce:Yes!!!!!

Not Richard's best tennis but was a lot more aggressive (maybe why he made more errors) and it WAS one of his best mental preformances - saved a ZILLION break points and the point to set up match point was vintage Gasquet. Murray was pretty weak at times but richard kept the pressure on him and drove Murray into a fit of whinning and a downward spiral.

And yes scmom - I had the same question about the woman with the long blonde hair in the box with Piatti. Didn't see her up close enough to tell if she was an "older" woman (ie. Piatti's wife) or a "friend" of RIchard's.

Good luck tomorrow against Ferrer - I'm afraid he'll need a lot if it. But no matter today was more than worth it.

ImmzB
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Gasquet def. Murray - 6/7 (1/7) 6/3 6/2

:woohoo: :rocker2: :woohoo: :rocker2:

Great victory for Gasquet!! :) Murray started the match the more aggressive and he missed many break points, only converting 1/13 in the 1st set. Gasquet did break Murray back when he served for the 1st set but the TB was all Murray.

Gasquet started the 2nd with a break and played well to keep hold of his lead. He served at *5/2 for the 2nd set but Murray got 1 break back and when he had the chance to make Gasquet serve it out again, he couldn't as Gasquet broke once again to take the match into a decider.

Didn't watch all of the 3rd set, just the 1st game and the MP.

Ferrer next, very tough match for Richard and also playing just under 3 hours won't make it easier. All the best! :yeah:

Vlad1980
05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Great first set from Richard, but he lost it 6-7. Still a lot of fight and very aggressive often. He is playing confident tennis, but Ferrer is just so freaking tough. Level from both much higher than previous match vs Murray.

Vlad1980
05-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Richard breaks to start second set. Phenomenal attitude on the court. He is going for so many shots. Maybe there is grass under that Roman clay?

Vlad1980
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Richard slowed down a lot after getting broken back, looked like he lacked energy. Still he played well.

Jozie
05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Shame he faltered in the tie-break and yes he seemed to run out of energy in the 2nd set.
I was wondering if his back was playing up, he kept holding his side at times.
Richard showed some good aggressive play at times.
On to Nice?

ImmzB
05-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I couldn't see the whole match but what I read and saw Richard looked good. He had a 4/2* lead in the TB but then last the next 5 points. He started the 2nd set well by breaking Ferrer but got broken straight after.

He hit some great shots when he was aggressive! It's been a good week for Gasquet, beating Melzer and Murray.

Now the question is, does he play Nice? With the organizers giving wild-cards to Monfils and Verdasco, this means Richard is now the 6th seed and won't receive a BYE into R2.

ImmzB
05-18-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.welovetennis.fr/atp-nice/48954-gasquet-incertain

ATP - Nice > Gasquet incertain

Inscrit au tournoi de Nice la semaine prochaine, Richard Gasquet met en doute sa participation. Le Français, après deux gros matches contre Andy Murray et David Ferrer ne souhaite pas prendre de risque avant Roland Garros et souhaite reposer une cheville qui fatigue.

"J’ai toujours ma cheville qui me tire un peu et l’important c’est d’être à 100% pour mon premier tour à Roland-Garros. Je n’ai pas besoin plus que cela d’aller à Nice. On verra ce que je déciderai."

Richard's not sure if he will play Nice. He says he doesn't want to take any risks before Roland Garros and would like to rest his ankle.

ImmzB
05-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Richard has withdrawn from Nice.

silverwhite
05-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Good

Vlad1980
05-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Its a good move. He needs to be fresh and he is playing well, so he doesn't need matches.

ImmzB
05-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it's a good choice considering Roland Garros is straight after Nice. Also there's no point risking his ankle and if he did play and injured it even more, there goes Roland Garros.

I won't be surprised if Gasquet plays 1 match at the Masters Guinot Mary Cohr exhibition. Monfils who withdrew from there to participate in Nice and they will need a replacement for him. It wouldn't be a bad idea to play 1 extra match before Roland Garros.

silverwhite
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM
No discussion? :lol:

1st round - Q, 2nd round - Young/Dimitrov, 3rd round - Dolgopolov, 4th round - Murray :spit:

Schu
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
No discussion? :lol:

1st round - Q, 2nd round - Young/Dimitrov, 3rd round - Dolgopolov, 4th round - Murray :spit:

Why did you stop at 4th round? :p Murray could well be out by then and even if not Richard COULD take him out. But then again, depending on which Richard shows up, Richard could be out well before then also.

Think we all stopped discussing draws with RIchard because with him there seems to never be a "good draw" or a "bad draw" BUT this one does have potential to be a good draw... wonder who qualifer will be? Hope not Haas.

Allez! I'm ready for my favorite Slam to start.

silverwhite
05-25-2012, 05:36 PM
If he miraculously makes the QF,it'll be against Ferrer, so... :tape:

Puschkin
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
He plays Zopp in the first round. Does anyone know the Estonian?

Schu
05-25-2012, 07:36 PM

O.K. Definitely no need to go any further.

ImmzB
05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
All the best Richard!! :yeah:

ImmzB
05-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Richard is the highest ranked Frenchman in his half of the draw so a good chance he will be on the Philippe Chatrier court for his 1st round match. Nadal most defiantly will be on there. Murray who else on that side of the draw and the 4th seed will probably on the Suzanne Lenglen court.

Richard doesn't get much of his matches on the PC court so if he does play his R1 match there, it would nice! :)

Puschkin
05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Richard is the highest ranked Frenchman in his half of the draw so a good chance he will be on the Philippe Chatrier court for his 1st round match. Nadal most defiantly will be on there. Murray who else on that side of the draw and the 4th seed will probably on the Suzanne Lenglen court.

Richard doesn't get much of his matches on the PC court so if he does play his R1 match there, it would nice! :)
I can easily imagine him asking to play on Lenglen, + his match is against a qualifier.

case
05-25-2012, 09:58 PM

at some point he does get to beat ferrer doesnt he???:confused:;):p:rolleyes::wavey:
anyway not a bad draw. im excited!
allez!! i love the slams and this one will be memorable- trust me!!!;)

Puschkin
05-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Allez, Richard!

I can watch only SB, but no streams, so some comments about the level of play would be highly appreciated.

silverwhite
05-29-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm watching France 4's tennis recap show and Miss France said that Richard's her favourite French player and that he's cute. :spit: The host said that Richard will probably ask him for her number because he has already done something like that before :tape:

Gagsquet
05-29-2012, 09:27 AM
The host is Cyril Hanouna?

silverwhite
05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes :lol:

The set overlooks Chatrier and Richard is training there now. Hanouna kept shouting to him that Miss France likes him. He heard and waved back, although he didn't understand what he was saying :haha:

Gagsquet
05-29-2012, 09:35 AM
:lol: :haha:

silverwhite
05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Tati is on the show. I wonder if she's jealous. She seems to really like Richard. The other day, when they asked her about Jo, she answered something about Richard. And she also mentioned their mixed doubles win and she knows he doesn't like playing Ferrer :tape:

silverwhite
05-29-2012, 09:46 AM
They actually went down to interview him and he seemed a bit shy :lol:

Hanouna is a stan. He keeps saying that regardless of results, he has the most beautiful game :spit:

Gagsquet
05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Hanouna is right.

Puschkin
05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Straight sets win. Has anyone seen the match?

silverwhite
05-29-2012, 03:19 PM
I saw parts of it. He was so-so, IMO :shrug:

Zopp was dominating a lot of the rallies :spit:

Schu
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I saw parts of it. He was so-so, IMO :shrug:

Zopp was dominating a lot of the rallies :spit:

What do you want from Richard?? I saw most of the match. Richard was solid and yes while Zopp dominated SOME of the rallies, RIchard was more consistent and played the big points MUCH better. Zopp got a bit impatient at times when he had an opening and actually could have made things more difficult for Richard if he didn't miss on the important points.

It was nice to see RIchard looking the clam, experienced player and his forehand and serve were looking good today (and as always had a few killer backhands at just the right time). Richard will DEFINITELY need to step it up as he goes deeper but a nice solid STRAIGHT SET R1 victory.

ImmzB
05-29-2012, 06:40 PM

rosehavn
05-29-2012, 10:56 PM
I saw the match and was cheering for Gasquet.:clap2: I was paying special attention to his game and was excited by his backhand!:bigclap: Some of his backhand shots were travelling so fast that the ball appeared to be emitting flames and smoke as it whizzed past Zopp.:fiery: Richard's serve was also impressive at times, but he seemed to have periods of being mentally distracted (compared to the TOP 3). :banghead:

However, Gasquet was able to pull it together for the important points. I really enjoyed the match, and found Gasquet to be very entertaining. His idiosyncratic mannerisms and facial expressions are hilarious.:rolls: And, yes, he is very cute.:devil:

Gagsquet
05-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Welcome rosehavn

Schu
05-30-2012, 04:53 AM
but he seemed to have periods of being mentally distracted (compared to the TOP 3). :banghead:

And, yes, he is very cute.:devil:

Welcome to the world of Richard Gasquet fans. Richard's mental lapses are about as predictable as his smokin' backhand BUT today I was actually very impressed with what was for him EXCELLENT mental focus. There was a time not that long ago that he would have flittered away an entire set with a string of errors and/or stupid shots.

And yes, he is adorable.

Puschkin
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the world of Richard Gasquet fans. Richard's mental lapses are about as predictable as his smokin' backhand BUT today I was actually very impressed with what was for him EXCELLENT mental focus.

I could not watch live, but what I saw on videos confirms this impression.

Today Richard is scheduled last match on his beloved Lenglen with the unfinished Tsonga match also scheduled there. I just hope he won't have to start too late and finishing in straight sets would be great. Allez!

rosehavn
05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Do you think Gasquet has the consistent mental focus of Nadal, Djokovich and Federer?:confused:

Schu
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Do you think Gasquet has the consistent mental focus of Nadal, Djokovich and Federer?:confused:

Not anywhere close! but VERY few do. Mental focus is not Richard's greatest strength but is has improved. Looks like today against Dimitrov is tesing it...

Pushkin - straight set win isn't going to happen for Richard - not sure a win is even going to happen right now - Richard down 5-7 and on serve midway trhough 2nd set. Richard has had tons of break points but Gregor is hot and ATM playing VERY well and Richard is nothing great today. Hope he cools off FAST.

silverwhite
05-31-2012, 06:03 PM

:spit:

rosehavn
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't think he has the mental focus of the TOP 3 either, but he is an entertaining player. Maybe he isn't ambitious enough to be in the top 10 right now.:aparty:

Puschkin
05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Pushkin - straight set win isn't going to happen for Richard - not sure a win is even going to happen right now -
It did happen. :p I am not sure how things would have went without Dimitrov's cramps or was it something else? Nice shotmaking from the Bulgarian, very talented guy, but how often have we heard and read that talent dooes not suffice?

Schu
05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
It did happen. :p I am not sure how things would have went without Dimitrov's cramps or was it something else? Nice shotmaking from the Bulgarian, very talented guy, but how often have we heard and read that talent dooes not suffice?

PHEW! Who knows maybe the Bulgarian would have choked :shrug: but he had Richard on the ropes the first 2 sets. TO me Dimitrov was the better player TODAY - moved MUCH better, even after cramping, more aggressive court position (but who doesn't) and went for his shots even before he had no choice after cramping.

Kodus to RIchard for keeping focus and fighting off a "wounded duck". It is VERY hard to play an opponent who has to just tee off on everything.

Good luck against Haas who breezed through his match.

silverwhite
05-31-2012, 08:58 PM
rolandgarros_FR

Gasquet : "C'est difficile de jouer un mec qui a des crampes. Je retenais mon bras et je n'arrivais pas à me libérer" http://t.co/7JfF7W4h

rolandgarros_FR

Gasquet: "J'ai rarement joué un match aussi dur, même en Grand Chelem" #RG12

Hmmm...

Gagsquet
05-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Gasquet insane need a psychologist

silverwhite
05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
One more comment :o

rolandgarros_FR
Gasquet : "Je ne pensais pas Paulo capable d'un tel exploit. Il le mérite amplement, il a beaucoup bossé". #RG12

I know he didn't mean it like that but still... :lol:

scmom
06-01-2012, 02:19 AM
I did not see any of the match . Well , except for one point - I am sure you know which one we got to see here in the States. So I tried to follow
as best I could on scoreboard / twitter. If any of you saw it , or know anything background - is he ok ? Was the vomiting a conditioning issue ?
or was it an illness? All I could glean from what I read was that he was out of sorts / distracted and not playing very well . At least he played well enough to win .
Piatti , who usually tweets a bit before and after matches, was very cryptic today and said little .
Any information would be great ! Hope whatever it is , he is feeling better for his next match .
Haas is playing very well right now.

Schu
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
If any of you saw it , or know anything background - is he ok ? Was the vomiting a conditioning issue ?
or was it an illness?

Don't think it was technically either - not sure what happened, maybe nerves??? But he appeared to be completely fine right before and immediately after; he stood up, wiped his face and walked around looking at Dimitrov. Then proceeded to maintain focus and composure to win. Sort of reminded me when babies spit up - they are fine, something just needs to come out.

BTW www.espn3.com has replays of all show court matches.

rosehavn
06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
rolandgarros_FR

Gasquet : "C'est difficile de jouer un mec qui a des crampes. Je retenais mon bras et je n'arrivais pas à me libérer" http://t.co/7JfF7W4h

rolandgarros_FR

Gasquet: "J'ai rarement joué un match aussi dur, même en Grand Chelem" #RG12

Hmmm...

Could you please translate?:confused: Thanks.:)

scmom
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the input ,Schu. After seeing the replay again , I got the same impression. I will have to check out the replays if I have time - good to know.

silverwhite
06-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Difficult to play against a cramping player. One of his hardest matches ever :lol:

Schu
06-02-2012, 03:37 PM
:rolleyes: Maybe he'll go to plan B after a horribly defensive first set. He should have lost that set much worse than he did.

Can't stand to watch it any more, he makes Simon look like the ball bashing Tsonga. I'm off to play tennis myself and hope he does a 180 or it will be a quick loss. WAKE UP RICHARD!!:banghead:

Jozie
06-02-2012, 04:35 PM
He's in the zone... just loving his shotmaking :eek:
Come back Schu, don't go away :)

case
06-02-2012, 04:58 PM
wow- some really brilliant playin by gasquet! dont know what happened to his brain in first, but he sure made up for it!!!!!!!!!

Puschkin
06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
:rolleyes: Maybe he'll go to plan B after a horribly defensive first set. He should have lost that set much worse than he did.

Can't stand to watch it any more,

I hope you did not really leave. In the second set Richard started playing and this was already too much for Haas, in the third set, Richard became rather unplayable, Haas disappeared and never came back. Richard hit winner after winner, it was great.

Vlad1980
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Great stuff against Haas after rather passive first set. He was getting killed with dropshots..
He won like 15 games in a row. Overall maybe best tennis he ever played at Roland Garros. I think he has decent chance against Murray and should be fresh too.

Allez!

ImmzB
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Alllez!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Great last 3 sets from Gasquet, hit some mad winners!! Haas was good in the 1st set, dictating the play.

Murray next!!

Gagsquet
06-02-2012, 05:30 PM
GOATsquet

scmom
06-02-2012, 06:05 PM
what a beautiful display of tennis after a slow start . am really happy with his ability to refocus in these matches , change up a losing game plan and execute a better one. when he is firing shots like in the final three sets today , he is just too good. well done !

Schu
06-02-2012, 08:45 PM
He's in the zone... just loving his shotmaking :eek:
Come back Schu, don't go away :)

I see that my "tough love" worked! Sounds like I need to watch the replay to see the tennis I've been waiting for him to play for 5 years(Wimbledon 2007) - just hope it isn't another 5 years before he does it again.

Anyway BRAVO Richie! now PLEASE bring it for your match against the british drama queen.

Jozie
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Cmon Rich.... you can do it!!!! Red Shirt...

Jozie
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
:crying2:

Schu
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
So much for RIchard's improved mental strength... On the positive side, he did play more aggressively than I've seen him play in a loooong time and that was nice to see. Too bad he completely lost the plot and let Murray get on a roll.

Maybe Richard's back is hurting, I haven't seen him miss so many overheads ever :).

juvvi
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Gasquet loses focus too soon. Not good to lose to Murray on clay, who doesn't have a single weapon to trouble Gasquet, except he's really smart and reads Gasquet's mind like a book.

Puschkin
06-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Cmon Rich.... you can do it!!!! Red Shirt...
He really tried in the forth set, but Murray makes no mistakes at all and serves at 70% which he rarely does.

Richard is normally a good at smashing, but Murray's incredible gets took it away from him. And the double fauts at bad moments did not help either.

Murray was the better player today, outright impressive.

ImmzB
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Richard! :sad: :sad:

He played a good 1st set to take it 6/1 and in the 2nd Murray started to play better. Richard had BP to serve for the 2nd but couldn't convert.

It was all Murray in set 3 and 4.

It's been a good tournament for Richard, making the 4th round but still can't reach the QF! :(

Grass Season...... :)

Jozie
06-04-2012, 07:31 PM
He really tried in the forth set, but Murray makes no mistakes at all and serves at 70% which he rarely does.

Richard is normally a good at smashing, but Murray's incredible gets took it away from him. And the double fauts at bad moments did not help either.

Murray knows how to get under Richard's skin (and mine).
I just don't understand how Murray can pretend to have 'back' problems and then play the winning tennis he does.
I will never give Murray credit - true champions would never behave in such an unsportsmanlike manner, (pretending to be injured).

I am sick and tired of hearing how 'Spartan' Murray is, playing through a back injury. If it was really a serious injury he should have pulled out of the tournament already. He's a cheat!!!:mad:

Richard is always humble & gracious, and sadly he allows Murray to bully, push and dominate him.

Puschkin
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Murray knows how to get under Richard's skin (and mine).
I just don't understand how Murray can pretend to have 'back' problems and then play the winning tennis he does.
I will never give Murray credit - true champions would never behave in such an unsportsmanlike manner, (pretending to be injured).

I am sick and tired of hearing how 'Spartan' Murray is, playing through a back injury. If it was really a serious injury he should have pulled out of the tournament already. He's a cheat!!!:mad:

Richard is always humble & gracious, and sadly he allows Murray to bully, push and dominate him.

I don't care about Murray.

Though we all hoped that Richard would reach his first RG QF, dont forget: grass is coming up!

Schu
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Murray was the much better player in the last 2 sets but how well would Murray have played (how much would his back been hurting :rolleyes:) had Richard not completely lost it and given ALL the momentum to him by giving away the second set.

Same old story -- Murray has a way of getting under Richard's skin - not to mention mine! And Murray seems to enjoy every minute of pissing people off.

Puschkin
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Murray was the much better player in the last 2 sets but how well would Murray have played (how much would his back been hurting :rolleyes:) had Richard not completely lost it and given ALL the momentum to him by giving away the second set.

You know, I alwas defend Richard against all kinds of criticism, but here I can't follow you. There were still two sets to play. Richard has to learn to focus on himself and ignore what the opponent is doing.

Schu
06-04-2012, 08:11 PM
You know, I alwas defend Richard against all kinds of criticism, but here I can't follow you. There were still two sets to play. Richard has to learn to focus on himself and ignore what the opponent is doing.

That was point exactly!!! Richard lost focus completely and let Murray get rolling and then it was :wavey: match.

afterglows
06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't generally post here but I feel like I need some group therapy after this one.

Hi everybody, my pseudonym is Afterglows and I've been a Gasquet's fan for 7 years.

Today I watched a Murray-Gasquet match. Again. And it was painful. Again. Like the other times after the good start I actually hoped this could be a win. I should have known better...
I hope the next time I will have enough wisdom to not watch the match, just check the result at the end and save me the false hope.
I'm almost glad that he didn't convert his break point at the end of the second set, another loss from 2 sets up would have been worse.

But I guess that I will never be cured cause I am full of hope for the grass season...

:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Puschkin
06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
But I guess that I will never be cured cause I am full of hope for the grass season...

welcome to the club.

Schu
06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't generally post here but I feel like I need some group therapy after this one.

Hi everybody, my pseudonym is Afterglows and I've been a Gasquet's fan for 7 years.

Today I watched a Murray-Gasquet match. Again. And it was painful. Again. Like the other times after the good start I actually hoped this could be a win. I should have known better...
I hope the next time I will have enough wisdom to not watch the match, just check the result at the end and save me the false hope.
I'm almost glad that he didn't convert his break point at the end of the second set, another loss from 2 sets up would have been worse.

We feel your pain... hope lies eternal, group:hug:

silverwhite
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Keep your expectations low next time :hug:

scmom
06-04-2012, 11:29 PM
another slam - another loss to Murray .
It is true , he just lost focus - just long enough for Murray to ramp up his game and that was all it took
Still , Richard was in the round of 16 - played some superb tennis ( last 3 sets of Haas / first set of this one )
Hopefully Piatti and Seb can help him focus on what he did right

Looked like to me a few shots here or there missed by an inch or two in that 4/4 game in the second set while Murray was painting the lines .
Then he did seem to lose hope/ focus at that point - and the third set was over before he could regroup . We have seen this all before

On to grass - hope he can continue to push forward - to listen to Piatti - who is saying all the right things to him . Listen to your coach , Richard .

Gagsquet
06-05-2012, 01:50 AM
:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ss6cgTXN1r7r6x5.gif