DC Any Chance for Austria vs Spain [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

DC Any Chance for Austria vs Spain

MightyJurgenfan
03-31-2012, 08:49 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed for Austria, but Spain has so much depth with all their players. Even with no Nadal, they are very strong.

Here is an article from the Davis Cup:

There is no doubt that Spain, who haven’t lost a home tie since 1999, are the favourites to prevail and set up a semifinal meeting with either France or USA, but Austria are not just coming to make the numbers up.

“We’re not going there for holidays, we’re going there to compete and to win,” said Austrian No. 1 Jurgen Melzer, who won both his singles rubbers during his team’s impressive 3-2 home win over Russia in February.

Austrian captain Clemens Trimmel, who made his debut as skipper against Russia, has named an unchanged side that sees Melzer line up alongside Andreas Haider-Maurer, Alexander Peya and Oliver Marach.

Austria haven’t appeared at this stage of the competition for 17 years, when Thomas Muster was in the side, but they can draw strength from their head-to-head record with Spain, which sees them leading 3-1, including a win on Spanish soil in 1990.

Despite this past success, it would be a serious upset if Austria knocked out the reigning champions. Almagro isn’t taking anything for granted, although he is confident that Spain can retain their title.

emotion
03-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Spain is Ferrerless, no?

MightyJurgenfan
04-07-2012, 08:24 PM
After a great win by Marach/Peya in doubles the tie stands at Spain 2 Austria 1.

I am not very hopeful that Austria can pull this out. Spain is just to strong.

Stronga23
04-07-2012, 09:30 PM
After a great win by Marach/Peya in doubles the tie stands at Spain 2 Austria 1.

I am not very hopeful that Austria can pull this out. Spain is just to strong.

If Jurgen wins it is very likely they could win the final rubber.

MightyJurgenfan
04-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Jurgen could not pull off the needed win against David Ferrer. Against Spain in Spain it is hard to win.
Spain 2 Austria 1
Austria can feel very proud to have reached this far in the Davis Cup.