Anderson applying for Green Card [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anderson applying for Green Card

guichard
03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Green Card keeps Anderson out of Davis Cup match
South Africa’s best tennis player, Kevin Anderson, cannot compete in the Davis Cup due to his application for US citizenship
http://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/green-card-keeps-anderson-out-of-davis-cup-match.htm
South African No.1 Kevin Anderson is set to miss the upcoming Davis Cup match with Slovenia due to issues with his attempt to gain US citizenship.

The crucial Euro-Africa tie will take place at the Arthur Ashe Tennis Centre in Johannesburg during the weekend of 6 to 8 April. A victory is needed for South Africa to qualify for the world play-offs. Should this happen it would be the country’s fourth time in succession they have qualified for the playoffs.

Anderson, who is enjoying his highest ever ranking, currently no.28 in the world, is in the process of applying for a US citizenship and cannot leave the country while this is underway.

“Kevin told me that while he is in the process of obtaining his green card he is not able to leave the US without a visa, ” team captain John-Laffnie De Jager told journalists.

navy75
03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Anderson has contributed a great deal to SA tennis and I'm sure that he wishes that he could be there. That said, Anderson has become more Illinois than deep dish pizza, as he has lived in IL for the past decade and certainly deserves his duel citizenship.

Anderson's had a great start to the year, but in some ways I feel that he should be ranked even higher. He has an incredible serve, booming groundies, and pretty good footwork for his size. Hopefully he'll continue to progress well!

orangehat
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
He's in the process to get a green card AND citizenship at the same time? :confused:

I thought you had to wait a few years after getting a green card to apply for citizenship.

BodyServe
03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Always thought the green card was for golf.

Saberq
03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Smart man

JurajCrane
03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Good days for USA to lose Bogomolov and gain Anderson. (irony)

Voo de Mar
03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Curren, Kriek, now Anderson...

Sombrerero loco
03-22-2012, 10:49 PM
what is a green card?

Naudio Spanlatine
03-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Anderson has become more Illinois than deep dish pizza

:spit:I love the way you said this, that is the most brilliant saying i have ever heard:worship: :cool:

hipolymer
03-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Geez, even the American immigrants are serve-bots. :o

v-money
03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
This article is very confusing because it uses green card and citizenship interchangeably. I have my US green card (permanent residence for those who don't know what it is) and I couldn't leave the US during this process. I sent in my US citizenship application last Monday and, as far as I know, I am allowed to leave the country during this process. So I assume Anderson applied for US permanent residence/ green card.

orangehat
03-22-2012, 11:09 PM
This article is very confusing because it uses green card and citizenship interchangeably. I have my US green card (permanent residence for those who don't know what it is) and I couldn't leave the US during this process. I sent in my US citizenship application last Monday and, as far as I know, I am allowed to leave the country during this process. So I assume Anderson applied for US permanent residence/ green card.

Yes I thought so too but this confuses me.

If you only have a green card there's no way you can play for the US :confused:

Edit: Ok nvm, I got it now, he's not trying to play for the US :lol:

Action Jackson
03-23-2012, 12:57 AM
It was same for the Gooch when he went through the process as his wife is American. He couldn't play any events outside the US during that time.