Where's the personality? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Where's the personality?

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Thinking about the generation that's retiring with Gonzalez today, not only were all those guys super talented but also funny and personable. You don't see that in today's tennis anymore, the guys now have fake personalities (Tsonga's gimmick dance; Monfils all the time; Nadal's OCD and fake humility; Djokovic trying to have a personality early in his career) or no personality (Tomic; Murray; Del Potro). Gonna post some examples of the stuff that just doesn't happen anymore.

Gonzo:

1CyUDLnBix4

Haas:

poea9425vsw

Safin:

E5-abgnmGIU

Hrbaty:

Q2AsHH7_L6o

Santoro:

wyXGGSf6gzc

Roddick vs. Hewitt in the good old days:

5sr3A10qZkE

Coria vs. Hewitt:

PFKjT5D3F5w

What happened to the nice moments and the mean moments? Everything is so sterilized, and typing this now I realize there are no rivalries outside Nadal/Djokovic/Federer. Also feel free to post more videos of in my opinion the golden era of tennis.

Saberq
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
It's Fed's fault........he made tennis too civil

Deathless Mortal
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Man I love you for posting these videos :hearts:

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
It's Fed's fault........he made tennis too civil

Remember this:

N4fB5Tp-FGU

or this:

Cas8Ttmlwnk

those guys are still around but the fire is gone. Maybe Fed made assholes like Hewitt and Gonzalez play with sportsmanship but I get a general vibe that the personalities and the rivalries are gone completely. Even the Nadal v. Djokovic rivalry just seems sterile to me, everything they say about each other sounds like a politician and nothing of interest ever happens.

Deathless Mortal
03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Cas8Ttmlwnk

What you did was verry bad, verry bad. (or something like that) :haha:

Deathless Mortal
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Anyway, Berdych is still like that, if he doesn't like something, he shows it. The same with Roddick. More 'bad' rivalries from top players would make things interesting but I don't think we're going to see it anytime soon with most of them being good friends with each other.

emotion
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Berdych is honest, but he's also kinda a dick :p
The Spaniards and Italians tend to have personalities, with Nadal as exception.
Tipsarevic has one. Davydenko can be really funny.
Hewitt still does when he plays

The top 2 levels of my sig in general (take out Ljubicic, Hanescu and Ferrero)

There are some newish guys with absolutely 0 emotion: Raonic, del Potro, Kudla, Sock

As much as I hate Tomic his douchebaggery may be good for the game

ossie
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
just because you are a douchebag or a dumbass doesn't mean you have a personality.

misty1
03-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Berdych is honest, but he's also kinda a dick :p
The Spaniards and Italians tend to have personalities, with Nadal as exception.
Tipsarevic has one. Davydenko can be really funny.
Hewitt still does when he plays

The top 2 levels of my sig in general (take out Ljubicic, Hanescu and Ferrero)

a lot of those players you list aren't that young anymore(tennis wise) and a fair few will be gone soon

None of the players coming up have a distinctive personality. Harrison is a brat and tomic is a douchebag but i dont count that as having a personality.

MaxPower
03-22-2012, 06:07 PM
The doubles tour has some of the crazier personalities. sadly ppl don't watch doubles.

As for singles I think it got a bit too competitive. Safin himself said something along those lines before he retired. That tennis had gotten too serious. I think he's right in some sense. Prize money has kept rising and so has the competition. The top guys are like robots. Practice, eat, do promotions, sleep.......repeat.

I don't think most of the top guys do the crazy stuff some of the former stars did on their free time. If you want personality you have to go down in the rankings. Maybe to guys like Fognini and such that aren't too serious about their tennis and still has tons of crazy passion. Dolgopolov is a bit fun too and so are some of the youngsters

You can also see that once players become big stars they often become more dull. Soderling was more of a rebel before he became a stable top10 player. I suspect that part of it has to do with sponsors. When you suddenly get many big time sponsors you have to stay in line and don't upset other players or other fanbases.

The only good part about the tour is that most players are still very bad losers. Berdych, Verdasco, Almagro and some others have had many memorable on-court moments

emotion
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
a lot of those players you list aren't that young anymore(tennis wise) and a fair few will be gone soon

None of the players coming up have a distinctive personality. Harrison is a brat and tomic is a douchebag but i dont count that as having a personality.

I think Harrison has a nice personality- like an improved Roddick imo. I love his defense of racquet breaking. And Berankis reminds me of Lleyton

Nole fan
03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Taking into account how much shit Novak got in his early years for showing a big personality, it shouldn't shock anyone that they revert to being politically correct in public. :rolleyes:

samanosuke
03-22-2012, 06:57 PM
or this:

Cas8Ttmlwnk

nadal was pwned badly. this happens when unitelligent and unfunny guy tries to own somebody .

out_grinder
03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
So the OP says, if a modern player has a personality he must be faking it. Can't win can they, these tennis players.

tennisfan856
03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
prize money is very high, probably a iw salary win could compare to a gs win from a couple years ago. Players are too solid now and if you show a little flick of personality (joking) the opponent will try to take advantage of your supposed lapse in concentration.

tennishero
03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
i agree... something which is missin these days.

Certinfy
03-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Tsonga and Monfils having fake personalities? :stupid:

The 6 highest ranked players I support (Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, Monfils, Murray, Soderling) all show their personalities and don't hide anything which is another reason I support them. I mean take Murray for example, he's relatively boring but at least he's being himself. Whereas with a guy like Federer I don't think that's the case at all, especially when he bitches after losing and what not.

Dougie
03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
True personalities have been away from the game for ages now. All those clips are funny, but they´re really nothing that doesn´t appear nowadays as well. It´s just that time makes the past always seem better than it was. If we would talk about real personalities of the game, it wouldn´t be Haas waving his hands or Söderling and Nadal having a petty argument. Guys like Nastase, Connors, McEnroe, young Agassi etc. were true personalities, and the´ve been gone for a long, long time...

Time Violation
03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Taking into account how much shit Novak got in his early years for showing a big personality, it shouldn't shock to anyone that they revert to being politically correct in public. :rolleyes:

Spot on, when someone tries to be different, then all the snobs get shocked and appalled. And when everybody is just business, then it's "sterile". Can't have it both ways.

Stronga23
03-22-2012, 07:38 PM

The 6 highest ranked players I support (Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, Monfils, Murray, Soderling) all show their personalities and don't hide anything which is another reason I support them. I mean take Murray for example, he's relatively boring but at least he's being himself. Whereas with a guy like Federer I don't think that's the case at all, especially when he bitches after losing and what not.

Jason you are spot on :worship: Whoever said Jo and Gael have fake personalities is a moron and needs help.

Smoke944
03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
If you want real personality watch challengers where the players aren't a brand.

Vida
03-22-2012, 07:40 PM

nothing fake about fed bitching after losing.

LleytonMonfils
03-22-2012, 07:40 PM
It all has to do with sponsorship. It's just like NASCAR. They used to be littered with personalities, but the corporate sponsors don't want that anymore. We live in the politically correct era.

samanosuke
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Taking into account how much shit Novak got in his early years for showing a big personality, it shouldn't shock to anyone that they revert to being politically correct in public. :rolleyes:

Spot on, when someone tries to be different, then all the snobs get shocked and appalled. And when everybody is just business, then it's "sterile". Can't have it both ways.

I think you two got it wrong this personality thing. He was/is taking shits because of acts like when he was showing to entire stadium that Fed shanked the ball, when he was bashing his own camp or constant ironic smiling like he is playing some juniors . I am the first one who would like to see the things getting personal but then be the man, look at someone's face and say him " you are an asshole " like big boys were doing , no hiding yourself behind some acts which could be explained on few ways

ChampionshipPoints
03-22-2012, 08:12 PM
It all has to do with sponsorship. It's just like NASCAR. They used to be littered with personalities, but the corporate sponsors don't want that anymore. We live in the politically correct era.

Exactly ! Politically correctness wasn't as strong as it is nowadays. If you have a personality these days, you'd better hide it if you want sponsors. And the higher you are in the rankings, the more it shows.

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Exactly ! Politically correctness wasn't as strong as it is nowadays. If you have a personality these days, you'd better hide it if you want sponsors. And the higher you are in the rankings, the more it shows.

Think you're right, imagine Hewitt's personality today (especially the Blake racist incident). He wouldn't survive one minute. Djokovic is the worst example, had a bit of a rivalry with Roddick but the sponsors and ATP clearly came down on him when he didn't want to act like the perfect ambassador to America.

arm
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Think you're right, imagine Hewitt's personality today (especially the Blake racist incident). He wouldn't survive one minute. Djokovic is the worst example, had a bit of a rivalry with Roddick but the sponsors and ATP clearly came down on him when he didn't want to act like the perfect ambassador to America.

NOW wait a minute there! Didn't you say that Nole has a fake personality and was just "trying to have a personality early in his career"? :lol: Very coherent. :yeah:

Dougie
03-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Thats one separate incident that shouldn´t be used to describe the whole personality of Hewitt. I see your point, and I agree to a certain extent, but I´m sure Hewitt would have no trouble finding some nice sponsors nowadays if he could deliver the results. If he´d make a sudden miraculous leap to top 10 ( he won´t, but let´s assume he did), he´d be welcomed back with open arms by ATP and the sponsors.

TBkeeper
03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Todays Guys have less personality than Peakdenko ...

tennishero
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
you forgot gaudio in your videos

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
NOW wait a minute there! Didn't you say that Nole has a fake personality and was just "trying to have a personality early in his career"? :lol: Very coherent. :yeah:

I actually don't know if Nole's previous clown antics were his real personality or not. I know the way he acts now as a sportsman and friendly guy is fake. Only his family knows what he's really like. Most likely he's a bit of a class clown with low self esteem and a family that's always controlled him, which makes him perfect for the ATP and sponsors to mold however they want. Rafa is the same, only in the twilight of his career is he now starting to speak his mind and separate himself from Tony's influence.

tangerine_dream
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately whenever somebody shows some personality, emotion, or a bit of fire in their belly they get blasted on MTF for being jerks, attention whores, prima donnas, you know the drill.

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 09:36 PM
you forgot gaudio in your videos

I forgot Chela, Gaudio, Kuerten, Stepanek, and a bunch of great personalities from the Federer era. There are plenty of examples people can post from the past but all the "personalities" of the present are old: Verdasco; Soderling; Fish and the next generation is even more boring than the Nadal/Djokovic/Murray generation.

deyaT87
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Federer reaction after second Marat's challenge :haha:

arm
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
I actually don't know if Nole's previous clown antics were his real personality or not. I know the way he acts now as a sportsman and friendly guy is fake. Only his family knows what he's really like. Most likely he's a bit of a class clown with low self esteem and a family that's always controlled him, which makes him perfect for the ATP and sponsors to mold however they want. Rafa is the same, only in the twilight of his career is he now starting to speak his mind and separate himself from Tony's influence.

And you know this how? Have you met them? Are you a master in psychiatry or a psychology? :lol:

MIMIC
03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey OP, how about we let the VIEWERS decide who has a fake personality. I don't consider your agenda against particular players as a credible source.

tribalfusion
03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
...was pwned badly. this happens when unitelligent and unfunny guy tries to own somebody .

No unfunny and unintelligent guy has more experience than you in being pwned badly....finally something on which you are an authority :haha:

samanosuke
03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
No unfunny and unintelligent guy has more experience than you in being pwned badly....finally something on which you are an authority :haha:

boy, you would be owned by the Trotter brothers

Orka_n
03-22-2012, 11:06 PM
No unfunny and unintelligent guy has more experience than you in being pwned badly....finally something on which you are an authority :haha:What? Samanosuke's grammar is not perfect but he is one of the wittiest guys on MTF.

rofe
03-22-2012, 11:27 PM
I blame Hawkeye

JurajCrane
03-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I like this thread.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-23-2012, 12:02 AM
What? Samanosuke's grammar is not perfect but he is one of the wittiest guys on MTF.

Since when.:spit: All he does is either complain about anything or say stupid nonsense shit, but he can be intellgent and right in some cases but not all the time.:shrug:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-23-2012, 12:11 AM
And did someone also mention Gaudio as one of the biggest personals:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

JurajCrane
03-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Challenger tour is really good, players show much more than on ATP.

Like Klizan in Rabat final, he said this to some spectator in Slovak : "Yes, great, you can walking there during match ... professional tour and it looks like circus here, shitty organization ... "

Action Jackson
03-23-2012, 02:38 AM
There are actually personalities around on the tour, yes it's a lot more serious, corporatisation of the game has happened.

Just got to look around a bit as for who is fake and who isn't, that just depends on whether you are a fan of the player or not.

fast_clay
03-23-2012, 02:41 AM
real personality left the game when noah burnt a hole in lendl's racquet bag with a half smoked doob in the monte carlo locker room

Action Jackson
03-23-2012, 02:43 AM
real personality left the game when noah burnt a hole in lendl's racquet bag with a half smoked doob in the monte carlo locker room

Maybe the Milan final between Ivanisevic and Rosset.

stewietennis
03-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Nowadays if someone says even a slightly controversial thing it's all over the internet, sports centre, ESPN… etc and showed forever so players are more careful now.

The days of Connors and McEnroe, if they threw a tantrum you'd probably see it in the day's news and that's it.

Arkulari
03-23-2012, 03:08 AM

Roger is horribly competitive but he has learned to take the losses in stride, much more than he used to be when he was #1 ;)

He's also a DORK of the highest caliber

KtOhatkC9M0

lemlQYwIkc0

4n0x11xVIbU

gF-9GVOiO84

WUi7Is7H54M

X1BIe35skSU

The thing about him, is that he holds the game in the highest regard and don't want to be clowning around when he's playing :)

Of course no one is perfect but he isn't that bad :lol:

@Sweet Cleopatra
03-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Rafa is not fake. He is really sweet and humble.

Arkulari
03-23-2012, 03:24 AM

Sweet yes (in fact he's really sweet), humble? Champions are never humble, you cannot win if you don't believe in yourself near to the point of arrogance, it's a fact of life.

leng jai
03-23-2012, 03:35 AM

Ajde Sweet Cleo.

Ajde.

heya
03-23-2012, 04:17 AM
it's embarrassing for a blake and roddick to be millionaires, paid to defend their terrible physical fragility, increasingly dumb attitude, and pathetic need to be in federer's face as his biggest sycophants.
personality isn't mainly a money-hungry, boring, fake, masochistic lazy boy who has a need to avoid love for his character and tennis

Branimir
03-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Every single person in this world has personality. Even Federer.

Jverweij
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
you guys remember the AO run in '06 of Baghdatis? He was pumped, he smiled alot, he interacted with the crowd..wtf happened?

dwarf shortage
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Can you get any more contradictory.

Sham Kay
03-23-2012, 01:51 PM
They're either stiff no personality drones, fake or total clowns. This is just another fans having mixed expectations thing, and the players will never win against it.

I personally used to like Djokovic's joking around and mimicry, but he received a crapload of unnecessary(in my opinion) criticism for it. To be fair he still shows the most on court personality of the top guys (with Monfils), but it is heavily toned down which is understandable.

We probably expect them to look like they're having fun on court and show a better range of emotions, like they do in the Masters tournaments guys like Ivanisevic and Mcenroe play in, but this is serious business, and anyone who has played professional Tennis will know how important complete concentration is to winning matches at any level. There just isn't room to worry about not showing everyone who you are inside, and giving us a better "tennis viewing experience".

If you want personality, watch Roddick abusing Umpires or Fed saying it how it is in interviews. The criticism they receive for it is a great incentive for other players to follow suit..

tripwires
03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I like Nole's clown/comedian side. I'd never get tired of watching his impersonations. :lol:

Personality on court is so overrated though. I mean, I wanna watch tennis, not some player goof off or yell at the umpire. It probably makes for better drama but I'm not interested in that at all.

BroTree123
03-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Personality is overrated :shrug:.

tennizen
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
They're either stiff no personality drones, fake or total clowns. This is just another fans having mixed expectations thing, and the players will never win against it.

I personally used to like Djokovic's joking around and mimicry, but he received a crapload of unnecessary(in my opinion) criticism for it. To be fair he still shows the most on court personality of the top guys (with Monfils), but it is heavily toned down which is understandable.

We probably expect them to look like they're having fun on court and show a better range of emotions, like they do in the Masters tournaments guys like Ivanisevic and Mcenroe play in, but this is serious business, and anyone who has played professional Tennis will know how important complete concentration is to winning matches at any level. There just isn't room to worry about not showing everyone who you are inside, and giving us a better "tennis viewing experience".

If you want personality, watch Roddick abusing Umpires or Fed saying it how it is in interviews. The criticism they receive for it is a great incentive for other players to follow suit..

:yeah:

While it is nice to watch the players clown around occasionally, I prefer them showcasing their skill, dedication and attitude towards the sport. Maybe earlier there was scope for the two to mix but now they are subject to far more intense scrutiny and anyone in their place would do well to tone it down.

Nole fan
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Every single person in this world has personality. Even Federer.

True. Most people don't even know what personality means. :lol:

Hewitt =Legend
03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
B-Nard has the GOAT personality at the moment. Great sense of humour and cracks some hilarious jokes as well. Trolls the shit out of life to. All this without mentioning the jealous cops that are out to get him and his ever improving DJ'ing abilities.

Ajde :sad:

fast_clay
03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
B-Nard has the GOAT personality at the moment. Great sense of humour and cracks some hilarious jokes as well. Trolls the shit out of life to. All this without mentioning the jealous cops that are out to get him and his ever improving DJ'ing abilities.

Ajde :sad:

listen here mate, Tomic will win Umag whereby he accept the trophy, don the headphones and immediately proceeds to the decks at the bar, whereupon the rave to end all raves will commence... you don't have to be nasty to have a personality... you can be a supreme giver of love too...

Mystique
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Personality on court is so overrated though. I mean, I wanna watch tennis, not some player goof off or yell at the umpire. It probably makes for better drama but I'm not interested in that at all.

Agree completely.
Tell that to the Noletards though :o

Nowadays, people watch Mcenroe's old videos, him yelling at the umpire and throwing hissy fits and laugh it off. What they dont ask themselves is what if a player did that today. Not a legend on some old youtube videos, but a guy out there today. Would they enjoy it?
I know for one, I wont.

Tennis has its characters, for the good or bad, but to say guys who get on with their job out there today dont have a "personality" is rubbish. And what is worse, its being said by worthless internet noobs who have little personality themselves.:rolleyes:
The principle means of entertainment on a tennis court is through the tennis. If you cannot understand that, and would rather prefer cheap entertainment, maybe tennis isnt your thing. Wrestling would be a better option.

heya
03-23-2012, 08:58 PM
allez
insulting and prejudging djokovic are sportsmanship award-worthy things. no wonder fed is the goat of love & sports, and mcenroe and roddick are squeezing his crotch.

heya
03-23-2012, 09:43 PM
i don't see anyone butt hurt over djokovic's beauty except federer, nadal, roddick and the jealous sheep fanatics.