Miami 1R: Mahut retires Gonzo 7-5 4-6 7-6(3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami 1R: Mahut retires Gonzo 7-5 4-6 7-6(3)

LocoPorElTenis
03-22-2012, 03:16 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:
Have a good post tennis life, Fernando :hatoff:
Gonzo saved 3mps at *4-5 but wasn't enough.

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 03:17 AM
It's over. He had a great run. But all good things come to an end eventually. Gonzo saved three match points at *4-5 and saved 15-30 second serve against him at *5-6. Mahut saved a BP to start the third set and saved 15-40 at 3 all with back-to-back second serve aces. Mahut hit the majority of his aces the second half of the third set.

Gonzo had the break lead in the second set after Mahut started out the set serving poorly. Mahut broke for 4 all but Gonzo re-broke and held to win the second set. He was holding serve more comfortably from the second set to the middle of the third set and was in a lot of return games from that point, but Mahut was the one holding his serve much easier by the end of the match and won the breaker in the end without losing a service point.

Sad that this wasn't televised, I think we all should feel cheated about that, especially his fans who couldn't make the trip to Miami. What a way to end your career, in a dramatic third set breaker. GL in life post tennis, Gonzo.

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Tennis lost. What a terrible way to bow out :bigcry:. Unfortunately this match alone pretty much entailed the story of his career....summed up in two words: Missed, Opportunities.

Fena will be missed dearly :sad: :hug:.

Johnny Groove
03-22-2012, 03:18 AM
To Mahut, on a court that no one was able to watch televised :sad:

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 03:19 AM
With all that said, I am GLAD Nicolas won this match. He's the one whose career will advance forward winning this match. And it's a very important victory for him. His match vs Berdych should be a lot of fun and very entertaining.

jonas
03-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Awful way to end your career, Fena. Losing a non-tv-match against a mug like Mahut.
You will be missed your crazy chilean.
Flamboyant, charismatic and with the hardest forehand money can buy. Good luck in after-tennis-life. :yeah:

emotion
03-22-2012, 03:22 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

You're gone from my signature, but never my memory... my co-favorite player is gone...

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Well, it's sad that he lost, but his opponent, Nicolas Mahut, deserves credit for his great serving at the end of the third set. Mahut is simply the better tennis player at this stage and he got the required victory.

kinski76
03-22-2012, 03:25 AM
"Can you hear the drums, Fernando...?"

Oh man. He certainly had his chances here. Losing your last set on the ATP tour in a tiebreak is respectable. I'll miss this guy, I wish his grand exit from the tour didn't have to happen on a non-televised court :(

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 03:26 AM
No credit given whatsoever to Gonzo. When are you never bitter flyboy?

rocketassist
03-22-2012, 03:26 AM
:sad:

Another flicker of light fades out.

Great entertainer and character.

Pirata.
03-22-2012, 03:27 AM

Typical ATP, of course.

Have a great life, Gonzo :hug:

MuzzahLovah
03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Why is his last match in Miami? Does he live there, or is their some special significance to that tournament?

Chilenaitor
03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Gonzooooooooooo :(

Voo de Mar
03-22-2012, 03:29 AM
My statistical tribute to him (http://voodemar.com/?p=5947)

Chilenaitor
Gl Gonzo !

Filo V.
No credit given whatsoever to Gonzo. When are you never bitter flyboy?
Bitter? I'm happy. I got the result I wanted. But that doesn't mean I'm happy about Gonzo losing. It just means I am HAPPIER for Mahut winning than I am sad for Gonzalez losing. Sorry, not everyone is going to share your emotions here.

With that said, it's probably best I leave, before others here cry and whine. GL to the rest of your life post pro tennis, Gonzo :hug:

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 03:30 AM
^^
Filo V :yeah:. I love your stuff man (I think?).

Naudio Spanlatine
03-22-2012, 03:31 AM
I cant be happy right now im too sad:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Gonzo we will all miss you so much:hug: :hug:

Have a wonderful bless life.:)

jonas
03-22-2012, 03:32 AM
You can see in his eyes he was somewhere else.

http://i43.tinypic.com/nowu2x.jpg

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Looking up to the heavens, giving thanks to God for a wonderful career of flare, entertainment and charm.

oc2004
03-22-2012, 03:37 AM
My statistical tribute to him (http://voodemar.com/?p=5947)

3 Olympic medals

Naudio Spanlatine
03-22-2012, 03:39 AM
Congrats Nicholas:hug: :hug:

Corey Feldman
03-22-2012, 03:43 AM
He was a great player at his peak (Aussie open 2007 - destroyed Hewitt, Blake, Nadal and Haas in consec matches) but injuries ruined him

wonder if Blake had any nice words for him

LisaKoh
03-22-2012, 03:44 AM

Also, why does the sad face default look like angry face?

Friday16
03-22-2012, 03:45 AM
No words.. I'm so sad. You'll be missed Fena! Have a wonderful life. :sad: :sad::hug:

Voo de Mar
03-22-2012, 03:47 AM
3 Olympic medals

Two, stats section refers only to singles.

jonas
03-22-2012, 03:50 AM
Looking up to the heavens, giving thanks to God for a wonderful career of flare, entertainment and charm.

Good shit. :yeah:

FlameOn
03-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Happy retirement Gonzo, you'll be missed :sad::worship:.

Sparko1030
03-22-2012, 04:08 AM
:sobbing: Sad day for this Fena fan. :sad:

tripwires
03-22-2012, 04:14 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: Way to make my day even sadder. :sad:

Chirag
03-22-2012, 04:17 AM
I feel sad :sad:

Pirata.
03-22-2012, 04:17 AM

Also, why does the sad face default look like angry face?

sadface is the sad smiley :sadface:

I think the :( smiley should be >:[

yesh222
03-22-2012, 04:21 AM
You will be missed Gonzo. :sad:

Mechlan
03-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Well end FeŮa. :sad:

Thanks for all the memories. Such a phenomenal player in his prime. Best wishes and hope that post tennis brings you much happiness.

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Pathetic from the ATP to not televise this :( Just goes to show if your name is not Nadal or Djokovic they don't care at all.

gl Fena in your post-tennis life :angel: When he was on like against Haas at AO 2007 he was near unbeatable and definitely was underrated in talent. When Nalbandian, Haas and Federer retire along with Safin and Fena the most talented generation ever will be gone :sad:

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 04:28 AM
^^
I cried reading that post :bigcry:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Pathetic from the ATP to not televise this :( Just goes to show if your name is not Nadal or Djokovic they don't care at all.

gl Fena in your post-tennis life :angel: When he was on like against Haas at AO 2007 he was near unbeatable and definitely was underrated in talent. When Nalbandian, Haas and Federer retire along with Safin and Fena the most talented generation ever will be gone :sad:

dont forget Fed too:o

Action Jackson
03-22-2012, 04:32 AM
The unpredictability of FeŮa was his strength, weakness and what made him so fun to watch.

Of course typical from the ATP.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00Gbdlw7uwd5N/610x.jpg

LisaKoh
03-22-2012, 04:37 AM
sadface is the sad smiley :sadface:

I think the :( smiley should be >:[

Yes, I always post some things that require :sadface: but I always end up with :( which just messes up the whole thing.

But there are not enough :( :sad: :sadface: to express how much I'll miss Gonzalez. It also reminds me that the tock is ticking with Federer, almost all of his contemporaries are exiting and one day, he'll have to do so as well. :sad: :sad:

finishingmove
03-22-2012, 04:47 AM
bye

david_is_not_fat
03-22-2012, 04:51 AM
THIS was a match to see.
When he came to Argentina for the Copa Claro Miami was so faraway!! And now it passed (for him).
All we can say is : :hatoff:

Pathetic from the ATP to not televise this :(

AGREE!

When Nalbandian, Haas and Federer retire along with Safin and Fena the most talented generation ever will be gone :sad:

You're right in this too. Roger :sad: Nalby :sad:
Tommy will play forever xD He is in all Virtua Tennis! haha

KarlyM
03-22-2012, 04:57 AM
FeŮa :hatoff: :awww:

paukay
03-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Good luck Gonzo! :wavey:

jonas
03-22-2012, 05:00 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/34g0je9.jpg
From atpworldtour.com: "I saved a couple of match points before, and I felt that it's going be the end, and then I have the chance to keep playing," said Gonzalez. "I had my chances. But Nicolas played better in the important moments, and I was a little bit tired at the end."

http://i44.tinypic.com/5dlc0o.jpg
He was presented a commemorative frame by ATP Executive Chairman and President Brad Drewett, and Sony Ericsson Open Executive Vice President and Tournament Director Adam Barrett. A special video tribute featuring goodbyes from Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and David Nalbandian aired on the big screens.

http://i41.tinypic.com/35jwmk6.jpg
"At the end, the video was great. It's not only about tennis. It's also about friends," Gonzalez said. "I mean, we've been playing against each other many times, but at the end of the day we are friends. We have a great relationship. Of course, the atmosphere was great. We're really far away from Chile, and there was little flags. There was my family here. I had a lot of friends, and I really enjoyed the moment."

http://i42.tinypic.com/b994x.jpg

SheepleBuster
03-22-2012, 05:10 AM
With all that said, I am GLAD Nicolas won this match. He's the one whose career will advance forward winning this match. And it's a very important victory for him. His match vs Berdych should be a lot of fun and very entertaining.

His career will advance? Filo, he ain't got no career my man.

SaFed2005
03-22-2012, 05:22 AM

It was on Centercourt... night session match. No idea why there was no coverage is but my guess is... because there is just no coverage of tennis in the first few rounds...

The crowd was wild for the most part... going chiii chiii chii leeee leee leee
LOL

Kat_YYZ
03-22-2012, 05:31 AM
http://www.cristoferdelatorre.com/emoticonosgratis/emoticonos/emoticono-bandera-de-chile.gif http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/gold-medal-smiley.gif?1292867608 Buena Suerte, FeŮa!

you will be missed :sadface:

August
03-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Sad that this wasn't televised, I think we all should feel cheated about that, especially his fans who couldn't make the trip to Miami.

Luckily I saw his 2nd to last match at Buenos Aires. Anyway, thanks to FeŮa for a great career and happy retirement days!

Allez
03-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Great title to this thread :yeah:

Jverweij
03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
watching his videos actually made me tear up :(. He was always my favourite player to watch. The embodyment of offensive tennis. The match against Tommy Haas (AO '07) was the best tennis I've ever seen anyone play, and I'm quite sure that I'll never see that level of play again.

Fernando thank you for the good memories
for the emotion on court

FSkz7NIFSs4

for the jaw-dropping forehands:worship::worship::worship::worship:

0E40rfx3rYc
sEL0olMmY4g
(lol at Fed at 00:52 and at hitting fh-winners from nowhere against Nadal...on clay)

for breaking your racket on your knee when you failed to break it while throwing it

vBpk-fmQxTc

YOU WILL BE MISSED

Eden
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Why is his last match in Miami? Does he live there, or is their some special significance to that tournament?

Read this ;)

Fernando Gonzalez: "I Feel At Home Here"

Miami, USA
by Matt Fitzgerald

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/~/media/FFF2FEAB1DD24ED580D44859DB1C579F.ashx

Fernando Gonzalez is playing his final tournament

On Wednesday evening, Fernando Gonzalez will open night-session action at the Sony Ericsson Open against Nicolas Mahut. The Chilean is competing at his final event, having announced his decision to retire in February.

SonyEricssonOpen.com sat down with the three-time Olympic medalist, discussing his reason to finish his career in Miami and what heíll miss most about playing tennis professionally.

How special has been to play this event over the course of your career with the number of Latin American fans who turn out from all over the world?

Itís been huge, because I came to this tournament many times when I was a teenager, as a fan. Then I had a chance to play here many times as a player, and there was a lot of people from Chile and Latin America here. I feel at home here.

In your first appearance in Miami 10 years ago, you reached the round of 16, taking out Carlos Moya and Pete Sampras. Reflect on that run for usÖ

I was very excited, because it was the first time I was going to play at the tournament. I had the chance to play against my idol Pete Sampras, and to beat him was really big for my career.

What made you decide to call it a career at this tournament as opposed to other events?

This event is very special for me with all the Latin American people here. I saw this tournament as a fan many times. And also all my colleagues are here, so I think itís the right place and time to finish my career.

Youíve really been the face of tennis in Chile, along with Nicolas Massu. Moving forward, what impact do you hope to have on future tennis generations in your country?

I hope that itís going to be big, as we need to have more people playing tennis in Chile. I think they need more motivation in many of the cities. Itís a big responsibility for me and Nicolas to do something to improve that.

What are you going to miss most about playing on the ATP World Tour?

Iím going to miss the competition and preparing for something very important, both physically and mentally. Iíll also miss the locker room, being in different places with many of the same guys.

Out of all the matches youíve played, which one is the most memorable?

The semi-final of the Australian Open against Tommy Haas. I played the best tennis of my life.

Ö what was it about that match that brought out your best tennis?

I donít know if I can tell you because I couldnít play that way again. But I remember that everything was connected. I didnít have to think too much. And I played like I always wished I would.

If you had to give advice to some younger tennis players who want to emulate your signature forehand, what would you tell them?

Have no fear, practice a lot and try to use all of your body. When you hit the ball, you donít only use your arm, but use your entire body.

Source: http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Tournament/ATP-Miami-Tuesday-Gonzalez-Feature-Interview.aspx

It would have been nice if Fena would have been able to go far in his last tournament but he gave everything in this match and that's all you can ask for.

Good luck for everything in your new life and thanks for the great tennis you have given to us :)

nole_no1
03-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Bye Gonzo :sad: Good luck in the future

Sombrerero loco
03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
wow, this is so sad =( he should play clay season at least

Sonja1989
03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Goodbye Gonzo!! :sad: :hug:

FelipeMIA89
03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Funny thing that after 7 years as a ballperson last night I finally got to be on court with Gonzalez and it turned out to be his last. He hit some nice forehands and and also went for a missile tweener which Mahut answered nicely with a volley. There was a video at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0khJUxEVaDw Gosh, so many memories :(

Chris Kuerten
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Farewell Gonzo, one of the players that REALLY will be missed.

Also very happy Filo V. didn't get the thread, Gonzo deserves that.

solowyn
03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Read this ;)

Fernando Gonzalez: "I Feel At Home Here"
Thanks for the interview Doris. Gonzo :hug:

MariaV
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Bye bye Gonzo! :bigwave: :tears:
The seniors tour is gonna be fun. :)

gulzhan
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Gonzo :sad: You will be missed! :hearts:

Saberq
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM

what career he has no career..........he is nobody what a hell are you talking about?

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
last of the greats

first safin, n gonzo

only fat dave, fed are left really-

the great players are almost gone- the moonballer generation is left to take the mantle

tennis is almost finished

the mayans were right about 2012 but not in the way you expected

Jverweij
03-22-2012, 12:50 PM
last of the greats

first safin, n gonzo

the great players are almost gone- the moonballer generation is left to take the mantle

:haha: priceless final comment :worship: too bad it's true

Mystique
03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Goodbye Fernando....
Pity the end had to come in a match that wasnt even televised. But all things aside, it was wonderful watching you play tennis in the last 5-6 years, and I particularly will never forget that fantastic AO run in 2007. One of the best streaky tennis I have ever seen :worship:
People rave and rave about his guillotine FH, we dont mention enough the fact that this guy who played with such brute power on his one wing had a classy single hander on his other :yeah: Great talent, perhaps deserved a slam for all his abilities but has had a career 90% of the tour would give a lot for. :)

I am sure the Chileans will all be very proud of you, what you achieved for your country too. Good luck in the post-tennis life Fena :)

Certinfy
03-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Kind of weird to think I'm never going to watch that forehand live again, when on it was the best shot in tennis in my opinion.

Though I was never a fan of the guy, but I do wish him the best in the future.

Orka_n
03-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Goodbye, Gonzo. Have a good post-career life. :hatoff:

Well played Nico.

STUHL
03-22-2012, 01:35 PM
No! Why couldn't isee him once more :sad:

Goodbye Fena!

samanosuke
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
smart decision by Gonzo . it's better to play the last match against nice guy like Nico than against Birdshit . have a great life Gonzo, your FH will live forever

Saberq
03-22-2012, 01:50 PM
last of the greats

first safin, n gonzo

sucks for you then because I see many greats still remaining

tennishero
03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
fuck off mahut...

i guess there's no option but to retire once you lose to mahut on slow ass courts.

Johnny Groove
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Look on the bright side.

We will get to see Gonzalez vs. Safin on the Senior's Tour now :p

Mongoose
03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
awesome match

Gonzo:worship:

Deathless Mortal
03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Another one of my favorite players from the generation I've started watching tennis with retires :sad:
That's how it goes of course, but it's still sad. :worship: Fena and have fun in your post-tennis life!

Mongoose
03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
highlights were Mahut saving 3 break points early in the third, all with aces (including one on second serve).

Gonzo's 3 MPs saved came with 2 incredible forehand volleys and one service winner. Point of the match was late in the third with Gonzo's full-stretch, on the run tweener rocketed back at Mahut, only to see Mahut hit a forehand reflex volley for the winner. Just awesome.

Legends.

emotion
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
fuck off mahut...

i guess there's no option but to retire once you lose to mahut on slow ass courts.

Evidently, it's shockingly fastish this year

Minorellen
03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I am so sad. No chance to say good-bye, no chance to see this match
He could win this...

I do not know What I supposed to feel towards Mahut. I felt sorry for him before (because hi lost that massive natch to Isner) Now.. He retired my all time favourite player. And more sadly, I could not see that match

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
highlights were Mahut saving 3 break points early in the third, all with aces (including one on second serve).

Gonzo's 3 MPs saved came with 2 incredible forehand volleys and one service winner. Point of the match was late in the third with Gonzo's full-stretch, on the run tweener rocketed back at Mahut, only to see Mahut hit a forehand reflex volley for the winner. Just awesome.

Legends.
Awesome! Yeah Mahut really kicked in with the aces and serving by the end of the third set, especially. I read on twitter it was a great, high-quality match. Too bad we missed the great entertainment, but glad you got to see Gonzo for the final time!

LisaKoh
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Damn you ATP. The least they could have done was give him a proper send off. He was a great player to watch and deserved better than to get shunted off. And he was a member of the Player's council too!

Bastards.

RoddickFan88
03-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the memories Fena! :worship:

You're already missed! Wish you wonderful post tennis life! :wavey:

nsidhan
03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Gonzo is Gon zo quickly. Should have played USO at least. Guess he had other plans.

karelduin
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Here is some footage of the match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4VCBmxmZI&fb_source=message

selyoink
03-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Sad day for tennis losing the very exciting Gonzo.

Doggy
03-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Goodbye you cheater :banana:

ossie
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
good for tennis.

asmazif
03-23-2012, 10:23 AM
still great to watch

His final point was a DF :sad: :haha:

ossie
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
still great to watch

His final point was a DF :sad: :haha:a fitting end to his career

leng jai
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
a fitting end to his career

Can you stop being a dumb ass for two seconds. Thanks

Ajde.

Jimnik
03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Kind of depressing. Gonzo's last match should have been on TV.

Another great character leaves the game. This March has been really shit.

ossie
03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Can you stop being a dumb ass for two seconds. Thanks

Ajde.
somebody has to tell the truth in this madhouse

bamos

AndyUK
03-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Seems like he's one of those people that has decided to retire when he's seen that he probably won't be able to make it back to where he was again.

He's had a good career. Wish him luck.

Chiseller
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
He will be missed

Shirogane
03-23-2012, 03:20 PM
thx for the highlights.