Miami R1: Nalbandian def. Darcis 6-4 7-6(0) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami R1: Nalbandian def. Darcis 6-4 7-6(0)

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Up and down match. Darcis rallied from down 0-40 and saved four break points to hold in the first game of the match, and saved another BP at 2 all. Nalbandian was holding mostly comfortably until he went from 40-15 to having to save a BP at *2-3. Nalbandian then finally broke to 30 for a *4-3 lead in the first set, the first of three straight breaks in the first set. Nalbandian served for the first set at *5-4 and had 40-15 again in a game before being taken to deuce, losing two game points before finally holding serve to win the set.

In the second set, Nalbandian broke immediately to start the set after having 40-*0 to take the early lead. He held comfortably from there until *3-2 which was the first of back-to-back breaks for each player. Darcis had 2 break points to make it three straight breaks and a second serve at 40-*30 at 3-*4, didn't take advantage. Darcis saved a MP against him at *3-5, then broke to love with Nalbandian serving for the match to make things even at 5 all in the second set. Nalbandian immediately had 0-30 to break once again, Darcis won three straight points to get to game point, but David eventually broke to serve for the match a second time. Nalbandian had 40-0 at *6-5 before losing four straight points, losing five match points overall and saving two break points before being broken to lose serve and the second set went into a tiebreak.

Nalby quickly won the breaker to finally take the win in 1:55.

Very predictable hard-fought match with many twists and turns; both players' strengths are their returns and both are huge fighters. Tipsarevic in the next round, hopefully it's a good match like the one in Indian Wells, but David can't be as vulnerable on serve as today to win that match. Wouldn't be surprised if Nalbandian-Tipsarevic ended up being another breakfest.

fast_clay
03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
abs of granite this nalby...

leng jai
03-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Great effort by Francis to get to Miami and watch 10+ matches in a day. True fan.

Ajde.

sexybeast
03-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Thank you for the inside information, wish I could also be in Miami relaxing in the beach part time and watching quality tennis.

bleu_cheese
03-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm writing a paper for my finals right now, and I am envious of your ability to write so much about so little.

Good for Nalbandian to keep up the wins after a good week.

Orka_n
03-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Ajde FitDave.

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Should make QF now.

david_is_not_fat
03-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Ajde FitDave.

FitDave :clap2:

"Saw" the match with the livescore... :hysteric:
Had to go before the tie break so... i'm glad he won :):):):):)

Stephan
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
i'm waiting for second try vs. Rafa,
may be Dave will be more lucky? ;)

Yves.
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm expecting Nalbandian to reach the SF. But first he has to get past Tipsarevic.

Mongoose
03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
some amazing choking by Nalbandian, but Darcis saved most of the MPs with absolute shocking play, including one ridiculous gutsy drop-shot

despite all the choking, Nalbandian suddenly went back into God-mode in the tiebreaker

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks mongoose, sounds about right. Steve plays his best when he's really under pressure and in vulnerable positions in matches. David chokes but then usually finds a way to dig down, and fight back and win regardless of the choking. Sounds like it was an entertaining match.