Miami R1: Malisse def. [Q] Roger-Vasselin 7-6(3) 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami R1: Malisse def. [Q] Roger-Vasselin 7-6(3) 6-3

Filo V.
03-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Rematch of their Australian Open first round match, in which X-Man retired, happy to see he got the win here. Every win is a good one for Malisse given the season he's had but he's showing a few signs of better play.

X-Man broke to start the match in the lead and saved 0-40 to consolidate his break advantage, but was broken twice in a row to fall behind 3-*5 in the first set. X-Man broke ERV serving for the first set to 30 and from there both held their serves to enter the first set breaker. X-Man got a quick mini-break lead and comfortably won the tiebreak to win the first set.

Second set, X-Man saved a BP at 1 all and came back from 0-30 to hold at 2 all, and broke the immediate next game after several deuces and won the match from there. Overall, his service numbers got better as the match went on and he won the big points, and that's all you can ask for. If he serves like he did in the second set today he can be a threat to Tsonga in R2.

Fat Camel
03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
X-man started season with 4 1-st round losses, then 3 2-nd round losses, time to go to the third round.
But from what i saw this year i don't believe Malisse can do it even with Tsonga's bad form.

Filo V.
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
He's showing signs, we can only hope he's starting to pull things together. He's winning matches and he's getting easy draws to help with that. He's also serving better, his serve was dismal to start the year. From what I've seen his movement has declined, though. I just want him to remain competitive enough to be a top 100 player at the end of the year.

X-Man is the type who gets up for better competition, if he serves well, he has the type of game to cause Jo problems.

Fat Camel
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, he beat Tsonga last year in Indian-Wells.
But still his movement is awful. :(

I hope he gets to Olympics MD, he has a chance for a run there for sure!

Deathless Mortal
03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Allez X.! :banana:

Filo V.
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah, he beat Tsonga last year in Indian-Wells.
But still his movement is awful. :(

I hope he gets to Olympics MD, he has a chance for a run there for sure!
He has to play aggressively while at the same time counter-punching and absorbing pressure at the correct moments. He just has to be smart. The movement has declined so he has to offset that by being close to the baseline and not allowing Jo to tee off.

It all comes down to the serve, though. X can still break opponents. His return is still good. He just has to keep Tsonga off balance with his serving.