Miami R1: Falla def. Istomin 6-1 2-1 ret. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami R1: Falla def. Istomin 6-1 2-1 ret.

Deathless Mortal
03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
There was a long break at 6-1 2-0, after which Istomin broke and then retired :shrug:

Filo V.
03-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Istomin won 1 service point to go behind 0-*3 in the first set, with 22% first serves made. So the signs were bad early for Denis today. After that the set seemed more competitive as Denis had openings in Falla's next couple service games, but was again broken to lose the first set.

Second set, Falla held to 15 and broke to love to start the set, and after that there was a long break, assuming a medical timeout for Denis. After the long break, Istomin broke serve to get to 2-1. But he retired after the game.

Disappointing result, Istomin could have been a major challenge here for Murray. But instead it will be Falla to take on the Scot in R2.

Johnny Groove
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
:rolleyes:

Finish the fucking match.

Filo V.
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
No, Jonathan, it's either you can play or withdraw from the match and let someone who can play take your position in the draw.

Johnny Groove
03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Well that too.

If you are injured before, and you KNOW you are injured before, withdraw and let a LL, or play on and finish the fucking match. But if he picked up a freak injury mid-match, it is ok to retire. But I don't think he did, considering he BROKE SERVE and then retired :facepalm:

Ad Wim
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Another retirement. Virus still flying around? Must have catched Bellucci as well.

MuzzahLovah
03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Well retirement lecturing aside, I'm guessing there really was something wrong with Istomin to retire having got back on serve in the second. If he was just upset at losing the first set, he wouldn't have played 3 more game to get back on serve.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Filo V.
03-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Well that too.

If you are injured before, and you KNOW you are injured before, withdraw and let a LL, or play on and finish the fucking match. But if he picked up a freak injury mid-match, it is ok to retire. But I don't think he did, considering he BROKE SERVE and then retired :facepalm:He was injured coming in. I don't have a problem with a player starting the match if they feel they can complete it, and if they attempt to finish the match. I also don't think a player should worsen their injury on court. If they are hurt to the point it can affect them long-term, retirement is the smart option. I'm not anti-retirement, I'm anti putting yourself in this position in the first place.

BroTree123
03-22-2012, 01:25 AM
All luck this Murray :zzz:.

Snowwy
03-22-2012, 01:27 AM
No, Jonathan, it's either you can play or withdraw from the match and let someone who can play take your position in the draw.

I'm sure you would do that too if all that on the line was $8000 :wavey:

mooncreek
03-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Looks like Murray will end that string of losses in March Masters events.